Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Premier Redford to make an announcement at 6pm today.

C2E SME

That penthouse thing is pretty unbelievable. Especially their attempts to avoid it becoming public. I thought a lot of the concerns about "entitlement" were overblown when it was just the South Africa trip, but man, the stories just keep piling up.

I never understood why an Alberta Premier would go to Mandela's funeral. She is not a world leader, she never met the man to my knowledge, Alberta does not have formal ties to South Africa, etc.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT
    she never met the man to my knowledge
    You're really, incredibly wrong about that: http://www.macleans.ca/news/world/al...e-in-my-heart/

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    In fact, she was likely the only sitting Canadian premier who HAD met Nelson Mandela.

link

Not that this justiifies the expenses she incurred flying over there, but for the record, yes, she did meet him.

EDIT: Cross-post.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    That penthouse thing is pretty unbelievable. Especially their attempts to avoid it becoming public. I thought a lot of the concerns about "entitlement" were overblown when it was just the South Africa trip, but man, the stories just keep piling up.
    LOL... ok there are very REAL WORLD reasons why safety would dictate that such spaces should be kept secret or undisclosed.

In my work we deal with some very high net worth clients. The insurance companies we write them with offer protection again home invasion. kidnapping and reimbursement for ransoms that need to be paid.

Many of us simply do not understand what life can be like for people who are very public and have the perception of having access to a lot of money or power.

I am not entirely against an amazing space to host incoming officials or a premiers residence in the capital.

The reality is it didn't go forward....
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E Long Term Contributor

I never understood why an Alberta Premier would go to Mandela's funeral. She is not a world leader, she never met the man to my knowledge, Alberta does not have formal ties to South Africa, etc.
    Besides Redford having worked with Mandela, Harper invited Redford to the funeral. But only her.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT
    You're really, incredibly wrong about that: http://www.macleans.ca/news/world/al...e-in-my-heart/
    Marcel, why are you so nasty? I clearly stated that I did not know if she had met him. How would I know what she did 20 years ago?

Maybe you should be more nice.

That she worked with him is nice but she did that not as Premier so her loyalty to the great man is admirable but personal and should not have been billed on the taxpayers dime. I wonder if she would have even went if she knew before going that the costs would have been out of her purse?
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 28-03-2014 at 11:11 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E SME

Pointing out that you are wrong is nasty? Sorry that you're so sensitive, but that's your problem, not mine. The reality is that when the whole funeral flight cost thing blew up, nearly every story on it specifically mentioned that she had personally worked with Mandela in the past.

Please, continue to not let facts get in the way of a good opinion.

There is a difference between simply stating that she had personally worked with Mandela in the past compared to calling me "incredibly wrong". It is not that I claimed that she did not have a connection, I clearly stated that I did not know.

Not knowing the difference makes you "incredibly insensitive".

Jesus, there's lot of whining about hurt feelings in here.

Anyway, with each of these stories, Redford's perceived sense of entitlement is going to be a tough one for her to shake.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Jesus, there's lot of whining about hurt feelings in here.

Anyway, with each of these stories, Redford's perceived sense of entitlement is going to be a tough one for her to shake.
    i'm not sure whether those feelings were hurt here or whether those hurt feelings are just surfacing here. redford had enough support from the public and from enough of the party to become premier and she maintained enough to be reelected (in spite of some misgivings all around). she not only proved incapable of delivering, in many cases she completely abandoned what she professed to represent. her imperial manner was not the root cause but only quickly accelerated her demise. her being a woman had nothing to do with it (or at least no more to do with it than getting her there in the first place).
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I've never voted PC and never would, but I find it interesting the difference in attitudes between Canada and the US regarding executive perks. In the US, most state governors have their own private plane and their own mansion and servants, all paid for by taxpayers. They're like mini-US presidents. In Canada, it's almost anathema for the leaders of our provincial governments to have any sort of perks despite the fact that they have very similar responsibilities, powers, and workload to US governors.
    Last edited by River Valley Green; 30-03-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Comparing the U.S. system to Alberta's system is like comparing apples and oranges. The population of California alone is a bout $38 million. That's more than the whole of Canada which is 35 million. Governors have huge populations to oversee. Populations of those sizes carry a lot of clout. That's not to say the governors should be taking advantage of the public trough.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

I'd rather C2E than work!

25 states have a smaller population than Alberta and 47 states a smaller population than Ontario so California is a bad example to be using.

The Parliamentary system is very different than the US Republic system

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Besides Redford having worked with Mandela, Harper invited Redford to the funeral. But only her.
    Actually, he issued an invitation to all the premiers of the provinces and the territories as well as the Chief of the Assembly of First Nations. The Chief and Premier Stephen MacNeil of Nova Scotia also attended. However, they flew both ways on the Forces aircraft and their only expense was the flight to and from Ottawa.

The thing I find most amusing about it all is how a $45,000 plane trip brought down Redford when other PC's have cut royalties and handed lout multi-million dollar subsidies to the oil patch with nary a peep from the outraged populace. Even Klein's "Shoot, shovel and shut up" quip cost the beef industry millions of dollars because it made it look the Alberta wasn't serious about mad cow.
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 31-03-2014 at 05:47 PM.

Alison Redford flew daughter on dozens of government flights

Former Alberta premier Alison Redford flew her daughter on 50 separate government flights, including one with her family’s nanny, a CBC News investigation has found.

Redford also used government planes to fly to Jasper for two long weekends with her daughter. On each trip, they were accompanied by a friend of her daughter, a sheriff and an executive assistant.

The former premier’s public expense disclosures show Redford expensed at least one weekend’s stay at the luxury Jasper Park Lodge — June 28 to 30, 2013 — for herself and her executive assistant. It is not known if Redford also expensed the second weekend — Sept. 28 to 30, 2012 — or where the premier and her entourage stayed.

The reason for the trips provided by Redford on the public flight manifests was listed as “meetings with government officials.”
    More:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...607362?cmp=rss
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

No wonder she stepped down, the $45 000 Mandela trip was just the tip of the iceberg. Sickening.

^ Again... Ralph did much worse....

There must be a term for what the PC's are doing... never have they been so open about expenses and such hmmmmm.. what would it be called...I remember now! Sacrificial Lamb

The PC's hope that they can use Redford like a garbage barge in turn of the century new york...

Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 14-04-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Did the other Premiers take their spouses with them? If so, what is the difference in taking one family member over another? More than one or not a family member, no dice. Sounds like a bit of a double standard here. Wives are OK but daughters aren't. Besides, the amount of money spent on these trips pales next to the cuts in royalties and the other give-aways to the various resource companies. Look people, shiney! SHINEY!!

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Did the other Premiers take their spouses with them? If so, what is the difference in taking one family member over another? More than one or not a family member, no dice. Sounds like a bit of a double standard here. Wives are OK but daughters aren't. Besides, the amount of money spent on these trips pales next to the cuts in royalties and the other give-aways to the various resource companies. Look people, shiney! SHINEY!!
    there is a difference... a spouse is able to host and entertain in a fashion that a child is not, particularly when other spouses may also be in attendance. it's not a question of "double standards", it's a question of whether there is added value or not from a business or government - not a personal - perspective in determining appropriateness. furthermore, if the spouse's accompaniment is entirely personal and not required, then all of the associated costs are also entirely personal. where spousal attendance at one function over the course of an event is appropriate, then the incremental event cost should be covered but not the entire cost of accompaniment.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I don't really see provincial Premiers hauling around their spouses around on government business. Kings, Queens, Presidents and Prime Ministers are expected to do so when on official state visits, which totally aren't the same at the provincial level. But even then, Harper and Obama generally leave the kids behind during official state trips.

Redford isn't just hauling around her daughter, it's also her daughter's nanny (isn't the kid a bit old for one now?), school friends, and a personal assistant (same guy who went to Africa with her?) as if she is one of the aforementioned Queens or Prime Ministers.

As I said, I have no problem with the daughter. A spouse may be able to host but is not required to. Klien's wife travelled with him many times. The spouse of a premier has no official status, unlike the First Lady in the states. Nannies, fiends, various hangers on? Nope. If the child isn't old enough to be left alone then no, they shouldn't go along on official trips.

Redford wasn't taking along a spouse so I have no problem with her taking along her daughter. Learning how to travel and present yourself as a representative of Alberta, albeit an unofficial one, is a great learning experience.

Let's not forget, Harper famously took his kids to a hockey game in New York along with all the various security and other personnel and that was a strictly personal trip at taxpayers expense. He also took along his limo, a back-up and an SUV on the trip to India at a cost of $1.2 million. Even the Americans raised eyebrows at that one.

The final, official price tag for shipping Prime Minister Stephen Harper's armoured limos to India in 2012 is in and it's even higher than previously thought.

The RCMP said it paid $1,200,260 to the Canadian Forces to transport two armoured Cadillacs and a bulletproof SUV to India in November of last year. That cost was provided to CBC News in documents released under the Access to Information Act.

While in India, Harper visited Agra, Delhi, Chandigarh and Bangalore. On each stop, the RCMP provided the prime minister with an armoured car or SUV. CBC News also reported on the presence of a Canadian Forces C-17 in India, which the government later admitted was used to transport the cars from Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/step...1-2m-1.2470426
    People are so intent on worrying about the pennies while the dollars are wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I don't really see provincial Premiers hauling around their spouses around on government business. Kings, Queens, Presidents and Prime Ministers are expected to do so when on official state visits, which totally aren't the same at the provincial level. But even then, Harper and Obama generally leave the kids behind during official state trips.

Redford isn't just hauling around her daughter, it's also her daughter's nanny (isn't the kid a bit old for one now?), school friends, and a personal assistant (same guy who went to Africa with her?) as if she is one of the aforementioned Queens or Prime Ministers.
    her daughter is 12/13

would you take your daughter do a place like Vancouver and leave her alone?

My god...

Give the women a break you got your blood.

If the daughter is not old enough to be on her own then she should not be going on the trips. Same with Harper's kids, regardless of whether his wife is going or not. However, once the child is old enough to be on their own for part of the day then I have no problem with them going instead of a spouse.

^ yes because previous generation taught us that latch key kids is a "good" thing.

All over the work children go to work with their parents out of necessity.... as someone who had a father who CONSTANTLY worked... the time I spent with him while he worked is treasured. Had I not hung out with him at work doing silly office stuff... i would not have seen him for 1/4 of the year during the run up to tax time.

The plane is going... it's no big to put her daughter in an empty seat.

Like I said.. ya all got your blood...don't ya think it's time to let up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    ^ yes because previous generation taught us that latch key kids is a "good" thing.

All over the work children go to work with their parents out of necessity.... as someone who had a father who CONSTANTLY worked... the time I spent with him while he worked is treasured. Had I not hung out with him at work doing silly office stuff... i would not have seen him for 1/4 of the year during the run up to tax time.

The plane is going... it's no big to put her daughter in an empty seat.

Like I said.. ya all got your blood...don't ya think it's time to let up a bit.
    Those who own the gold make the rules, and break them with impunity.

I work out of town along with tens of thousands in this province. It is a complete kick in the nuts to be told one shouldn't have to leave their family for work!

This nasty lady is out of touch with the taxpayers of Alberta!!

Having a spouse travel to important events would not be a problem with 99% of albertans, it's the 3 or more hotel rooms that are booked in posh hotels while average joe has a budget and stays in a best western.

Spending was and still is out of control! King Ralph pointed this out, and now it's worse then ever!

^ well said.

When Redford was flying around on government business she was 'working'. It's called 'work' for a reason. Her daughter had no reason to be going to work with her mother on a regular basis. Redford should not have been using government planes to take her and her family, friends and nanny on holiday trips. She was given a perfectly adequate paycheck to be able to pay for trips on commercial flights. She collected a salary and still seemed to think it was o.k. to use her taxpayer funded government account to pay for some of her personal expenses. Now she is MIA down at the ledge and having a public funded break. She is no longer premier but she is still a parasite.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    As I said, I have no problem with the daughter. A spouse may be able to host but is not required to. Klien's wife travelled with him many times. The spouse of a premier has no official status, unlike the First Lady in the states. Nannies, fiends, various hangers on? Nope. If the child isn't old enough to be left alone then no, they shouldn't go along on official trips.

Redford wasn't taking along a spouse so I have no problem with her taking along her daughter. Learning how to travel and present yourself as a representative of Alberta, albeit an unofficial one, is a great learning experience.

Let's not forget, Harper famously took his kids to a hockey game in New York along with all the various security and other personnel and that was a strictly personal trip at taxpayers expense. He also took along his limo, a back-up and an SUV on the trip to India at a cost of $1.2 million. Even the Americans raised eyebrows at that one.

The final, official price tag for shipping Prime Minister Stephen Harper's armoured limos to India in 2012 is in and it's even higher than previously thought.

The RCMP said it paid $1,200,260 to the Canadian Forces to transport two armoured Cadillacs and a bulletproof SUV to India in November of last year. That cost was provided to CBC News in documents released under the Access to Information Act.

While in India, Harper visited Agra, Delhi, Chandigarh and Bangalore. On each stop, the RCMP provided the prime minister with an armoured car or SUV. CBC News also reported on the presence of a Canadian Forces C-17 in India, which the government later admitted was used to transport the cars from Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/step...1-2m-1.2470426
    People are so intent on worrying about the pennies while the dollars are wasted.
    We're not talking about 1 trip here. Nor 10. Nor 20. We're talking 50 times. And sometimes, "official government business" was a long weekend at Jasper Park Lodge. I'd really like to know the details of this, as others do, but I think I already know the answer.

What's really concerning is people like you with no issues of the blatant misuse of taxpayer dollars.

People who seem to have no problem with Redford's S.A. trip should try to save $45,000. When Redford met Mandela she was not working in a Alberta government capacity. She worked for the UN. It had nothing to do with any Alberta government business. When she charged the Alberta taxpayers for the trip she expected us to pay for something that was not related to her job a premier. Harper extended an invitation to her (and others) to fly with him to the funeral. No doubt wanting to pad out the Canadian contingent. When she stepped out of the parameters of that invitation that's when she should have started to pay for it herself.

Who paid the hotel bill. Given her record, if Redford paid herself, it's a dead giveaway that there was no government business being done.

Not that, given her record, if the GoA paid, it doesn't mean it was no better than a taxpayer subsidized vacation.
    ... gobsmacked

I find it amusing that since Redford resigned, the media have been using the same funny stock pic with their stories on her subsequent scandals (flights, Fed penthouse, etc), legislature no-shows and such. Her expression kinda reminds me of Wile E. Coyote just before getting flattened by a boulder:

lmfao! good call. I've seen the pic many times too but couldn't quite put my finger on the right description.

And where is she? Some sort of disappearing act.

Stress leave is one possibility...

Redford’s absence will continue
    http://www.630ched.com/2014/04/25/re...will-continue/

Let the woman be and give her some peace.......

Its not like she was taking crack or involved with known criminals and lying about it. She is a premier that had an agenda, elected by her members but was kicked in the shins by the "party".

enough is enough.

Why is it enough? She is currently doing exactly what when she was premier ... wasting taxpayer dollars. She has a responsibility to either work, resign or explain to her constituents why she can't do it. If I was living in Calgary-Elbow (just SW of downtown Calgary) I'd be livid with her behaviour.

^ I believe it is prudent that she is NOT there.... she is not the Premiere and Mr Hancock needs time to rally his caucus and form a game plan.

I think that you will find many MALE party leaders who step down become invisible directly after their resignation.

We are talking about a vile public that twisted a planned school trip by her daughter's class to the legislature as some sort of "Human Shield" Leave the woman alone.... if ya want to go after the gov't than go after the gov't. Try to reverse the rolls and have a iota of compassion.

Sick leave, stress leave and the like are granted to every day people everywhere all the time..... this is becoming harassment.

Yah a vile public that wants to get what their tax dollars are paying for, and not to have them wasted.

Sick leave, stress leave and the like are granted to every day people everywhere all the time.....
    Maybe granted but not taken for granted. Which seems to apply here.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Let her be, if she's out we just have to pay some other bum to sit there, plus pay all of her severence

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Yah a vile public that wants to get what their tax dollars are paying for, and not to have them wasted.
    you have no idea what she is or is not doing.. sitting in the physical building is a VERY SMALL part of what she does as a member of gov't.

again I point out MANY MALE leaders who step t down are non existent.

Let her be.

She's doing work for her constituents, checking out restaurants, hotels and other services so that she'll be able to make recommendations to anyone who plans to take a trip to Palm Springs.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    Sick leave, stress leave and the like are granted to every day people everywhere all the time.....
    Maybe granted but not taken for granted. Which seems to apply here.
    Nice one bp. Yeah, the funny think is this absence is taken on an honour system. Just tell the Mr. Speaker your not going to show up for a while but you don't have to provide any prove that your absence is warranted. The ship show that has been Redford's making keeps on churning. Any other rank and file government worker that stays off for any length of time has to provide written proof for the absence.

Hancock, the big wuss, does not seem to have the gonads to go after this, but then again, the PC's are not big on pursuing things the public are concerned about. All those PC Neanderthals in the ledge are just waiting until May 5th. so they can stampede out of the Funny Farm to lounge some lake. They will stick cardboard cut outs of themselves sitting at their desks in the constituency offices but make sure the closed sign is on the door. The sooner these dick heads are gone the better.

"Her continuing absences from the legislature have become a topic of growing interest, earning her the nickname “Absent Alison.”"

"Alison Redford and her daughter were spotted at the Target in Cathedral City, California. She was driving a Chrysler 200 with Illinois plates."

"According to public documents, a 1,200 square foot condo in a gated community in Palm Springs is listed under Ms. Redford’s husband’s name. The condo was purchased as a foreclosure property for $180,000 in 2010."

Read the NP story here
    http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/04...a-legislature/

Dang Gemini, you beat me this time!

^Just the one from the milk cartoon. Must have been reading then N.P. at the same time. Also noted, when Redford has to pay the bill herself she does not seem to go first class.

you have no idea what she is or is not doing.. sitting in the physical building is a VERY SMALL part of what she does as a member of gov't.

Let her be.
    Which male members (or members of either gender, since you seem to make it an issue of gender and nothing else) are not sitting, have been absent as long as Alison Redford and are currently being paid by the gov't of Alberta? Name them.

Wow! A $100 a day penalty for not showing up for work!

As a former lawyer, Redford used to make that in about 20 minutes. As an MLA, she is losing only about ah hour's pay.

I wonder how many employees making wage would show up for work if they were docked $10 a day but still could get $70 in pay. How long would that last before the boss would fire you?

Wow! That did not take long...

Redford's not losing anything. She phoned the speaker last week with a (supposedly) legit reason for not being there. If she has a legit reason she still gets full pay. It could be one of 4 things, injury, illness, bereavement or constituency work. Well, I think we can all rule out constituency work so it has to be one of the other three reasons. Fortunately for her (and all the other P.C's) she does not have to have anything in writing in regards to her absence. The gougers go on an honor system. You just have to tell the PC hierarchy and they believe you. How sweet is that.

I wonder what she is entitled to with her golden parachute retirement package?

I do not think any of us are getting the same deal as she is privileged to receive.

Probably there are some on this forum who think she did a bang up job in keeping the most prosperous province with massive resource riches on the narrow road of financial responsibility and good government.

Alberta Premier Alison Redford leaves mixed legacy behind
    http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/03/20...-legacy-behind

On big, budgetary issues, she was an unmitigated disaster as premier.

She won the Progressive Conservative leadership and the 2012 general election, in part on a promise to “balance the budget by 2012-13 without raising taxes.” Unfortunately, she also promised a raft of new spending programs that made her other promises impossible to keep.

After Stelmach’s long string of deficits, she inherited a miniscule deficit of just over $200 million. So close, yet, so far. Redford took that $200 million deficit to approximately $4 billion last year, and just tabled a budget a few weeks ago that will run $3.9 billion this year. If her successor follows her current budget plan, Alberta will run deficits for the foreseeable future, with no balanced budget in sight.

Alison Redford’s real claim to fame in the history books of Alberta will be as the premier who returned Alberta to debt. Premier Alison Redford — and her Finance Minister Doug Horner — took Alberta from Ralph Klein’s “Paid in Full,” to $8.3 billion in debt as of today. Unless her successor radically changes course, Alberta will have a debt of $21 billion by fiscal 2016-17.

And while she did it, she tore up Alberta’s best financial transparency legislation, repealing the Fiscal Responsibility Act and the Government Accountability Act.
    She did not do this alone. Her and her minions need to be held accountable like they are doing with the Charbonneau Commission and root out all the people who enabled her and failed the people of Alberta with their fiscal failures from a party that touts conservative policies.

We need to build a work camp prison in Northern Alberta where these political hacks spend 12 hours a day cleaning up tar pond tailings.

Quote Originally Posted by jizzaldo View Post

Let her be.
    Which male members (or members of either gender, since you seem to make it an issue of gender and nothing else) are not sitting, have been absent as long as Alison Redford and are currently being paid by the gov't of Alberta? Name them.
    In today's article there were 3-4 other male MLAs who have been away for an extended time this sitting alone.

give the woman some room.

^Can you post 'todays' article or are we supposed to just imagine it?.

I wonder what she is entitled to with her golden parachute retirement package?

I do not think any of us are getting the same deal as she is privileged to receive.

Probably there are some on this forum who think she did a bang up job in keeping the most prosperous province with massive resource riches on the narrow road of financial responsibility and good government.

Alberta Premier Alison Redford leaves mixed legacy behind
    http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/03/20...-legacy-behind

On big, budgetary issues, she was an unmitigated disaster as premier.

She won the Progressive Conservative leadership and the 2012 general election, in part on a promise to “balance the budget by 2012-13 without raising taxes.” Unfortunately, she also promised a raft of new spending programs that made her other promises impossible to keep.

After Stelmach’s long string of deficits, she inherited a miniscule deficit of just over $200 million. So close, yet, so far. Redford took that $200 million deficit to approximately $4 billion last year, and just tabled a budget a few weeks ago that will run $3.9 billion this year. If her successor follows her current budget plan, Alberta will run deficits for the foreseeable future, with no balanced budget in sight.

Alison Redford’s real claim to fame in the history books of Alberta will be as the premier who returned Alberta to debt. Premier Alison Redford — and her Finance Minister Doug Horner — took Alberta from Ralph Klein’s “Paid in Full,” to $8.3 billion in debt as of today. Unless her successor radically changes course, Alberta will have a debt of $21 billion by fiscal 2016-17.

And while she did it, she tore up Alberta’s best financial transparency legislation, repealing the Fiscal Responsibility Act and the Government Accountability Act.
    She did not do this alone. Her and her minions need to be held accountable like they are doing with the Charbonneau Commission and root out all the people who enabled her and failed the people of Alberta with their fiscal failures from a party that touts conservative policies.

We need to build a work camp prison in Northern Alberta where these political hacks spend 12 hours a day cleaning up tar pond tailings.
    Actually anyone with any mind for finance will sat that the current budget reporting is MUCH more informative and much more transparent.

but hey... if you believe the everything the sun writes then i am excited to inform you that Cher gave birth two a two headed Platypus. To that effect if you think this province was DEBT FREE..... HA. It was just hidden away and transferred to our crumbing infrastructure,.

In today's article there were 3-4 other male MLAs who have been away for an extended time this sitting alone.

give the woman some room.
    Actually no, I think the 3-4 males should have their feet put to the fire unless there are valid medical reasons. But what would it take to have the riding office issue a press statement saying something to effect of "because of my illness I am currently unable to sit in the house, however you can contact my office at xxxx and they will be able to handle your requests or forward them on to me where I will do my best to resolve the situation".

But doing that means that they care and are considerate of the people who voted them in and are paying their salary. And that is the root of the problem lack of care and consideration of Albertans and taxpayers.

^ you don't know the reasons... that's the whole point.

Allison, who i am not the biggest fan of, likely did have an agendas of change and that agenda was selected by the people of this province. It is very clear that she got it from all sides. I have no doubt that this was very hard on her. Her daughter, who is of an age where she can read and understand the media, twitter ect, bore witness to some amzingly unjustified hate AND in a small way was pulled into it when she started to be called a MEAT SHIELD.

Cut the woman some slack! Any professional gets paid vacation, has access to stress leave etc.

Its really a non issue and comes across more as hateful. I didn't mention the other MLA's thinking they should get a free pass I mentioned them because they are not subject to the same public social media lynching.... further mor if I take stress leave from work specifics of such things are not shared with the office. Although you choose to go into public service, I don't think EVERY aspect of your life is up for grabs. Redford is entitled, just as any human is, to some level of privacy. We should respect that.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 29-04-2014 at 10:20 AM.

The ledge sitting is over May 5th. and you can more or less take it as a given that Redford will not be back before it ends. All the P.C's are hoping to calm the waters before the next sitting in September. Unfortunately for the P.C's I doubt most Albertan's are going to forget this whole fiasco very fast. Redford has become the poster child for all that is wrong with shady politics.

^ my god the over the top rhetoric.....

I am glad I am able to take a more subjective view.... Redford was not in power for 40 some years. it's the PC party establishment that is the issue. Even the Wildrose gets that.

Hanging Redford from the closest tree does not solve the issue.

Show some human decency and let the woman have a rest, at the end of the day she enter politics to serve and to be part of something bigger... to enact change or peruse an ideal. By calling her child a "MEAT SHIELD" all we are telling other women is not to run as your family is open grounds for attacks....

Political change does not have to come at the expense of our collective dignity.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 29-04-2014 at 10:25 AM.

It's also the P.C. establishment that go on an honor system of not wanting written confirmation of absence from missing members. Hancock saying this is a none issue with Redford being a no show is just enforcing the stereo type of their entitlements. Where the P.C's are entitled to pay members full pay without written confirmation of why they are MIA. I doubt Redford is in Palm Springs representing her constituents so she is either sick, injured or on bereavement. Nothing wrong with either of those reasons, but can you please supply written confirmation, for the record, of the nature of your absence. You know, show some accountability.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Here

Calgary-McCall MLA Darshan Kang has had lengthy absences due to a serious heart condition. Calgary-Fort MLA Wayne Cao was absent earlier this year after he suffered a heart attack and underwent surgery. Education Minister Jeff Johnson was absent recently due to a back surgery.
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/04/2...la-absenteeism

Former Alberta premier Alison Redford rides a bicycle at a condo complex in Palm Springs, Calif., on Sunday, April 27 http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Absen...337/story.html

EDP, the defender of all vices, do you see Cao, Kang or Johnson riding with her?

I guess that she is still technically in her riding (shorts). LOL

She doesn't look ill.
    If she's doing a stress leave then OK. But they should just say so if that's the case.

Well I don't think she should have to disclose her illness to the public (if she is ill). The regular rank and file public servants just have to have a note saying they are unfit to work for x number of days/weeks. The actual illness does not have to be disclosed on the sick note. Redford should be expected to supply a doctors note like any other worker. The P.C's just take their members at their word that they are sick/bereaved/injured/on government business. It's not transparent and it's not accountable and Hancock seems to think because it's part of their entitlements it's a non issue.

It's also the P.C. establishment that go on an honor system of not wanting written confirmation of absence from missing members. Hancock saying this is a none issue with Redford being a no show is just enforcing the stereo type of their entitlements. Where the P.C's are entitled to pay members full pay without written confirmation of why they are MIA. I doubt Redford is in Palm Springs representing her constituents so she is either sick, injured or on bereavement. Nothing wrong with either of those reasons, but can you please supply written confirmation, for the record, of the nature of your absence. You know, show some accountability.
    Its not the PC establishment.. its the rules of the legislature.

Strike an all party committee to review it... the speaker is in control of this.

Here

Calgary-McCall MLA Darshan Kang has had lengthy absences due to a serious heart condition. Calgary-Fort MLA Wayne Cao was absent earlier this year after he suffered a heart attack and underwent surgery. Education Minister Jeff Johnson was absent recently due to a back surgery.

Former Alberta premier Alison Redford rides a bicycle at a condo complex in Palm Springs, Calif., on Sunday, April 27 http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Absen...337/story.html

EDP, the defender of all vices, do you see Cao, Kang or Johnson riding with her?

I guess that she is still technically in her riding (shorts). LOL
    I am not a defender of all vices.... I know pictures lie and it's easy to judge.

I can show you a picture of a lady on a beach.... Manulife later revoked here stress leave benefits because she was "on vacation" The lady then sued them and won..... Should your employer ask for a doctors note and you don't supply it there is nothing your employer can do and if they did you could sue them and win.

Stop acting like you know the WHOLE story and just pretend for a single moment that you are a normal compassionate human being. Just for a moment.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 29-04-2014 at 11:25 AM.

^Once again the whole concept of 'entitlement' goes right over your head and the cartoon birds that are surrounding it. Your 'what goes on in the ledge stays in the ledge' philosophy reigns supreme. The rules are made by government legislatures who have made it a point to allow MLA's carte blanche on how they conduct themselves. Your sick, oh sorry to hear that, don't bother with a sick note, we will take you at your word. The rules at the ledge don't include your regular Henry & Martha. They are just for the privileged and entitled MLA's who work there. Before we start even believing your Manulife story could you supple the actual ruling or background papers?. By the way, maybe you should start to read this in regards to sick notes and illness. It pertains to the real world most of us live in. Not the world were people are entitled to stay off work indefinitely and don't have to supply any paperwork for their absences.

http://www.albertahumanrights.ab.ca/...informationmay

^ my god the over the top rhetoric.....

I am glad I am able to take a more subjective view.... Redford was not in power for 40 some years. it's the PC party establishment that is the issue. Even the Wildrose gets that.

Hanging Redford from the closest tree does not solve the issue.

Show some human decency and let the woman have a rest, at the end of the day she enter politics to serve and to be part of something bigger... to enact change or peruse an ideal. By calling her child a "MEAT SHIELD" all we are telling other women is not to run as your family is open grounds for attacks....

Political change does not have to come at the expense of our collective dignity.
    Last edited by jizzaldo; 29-04-2014 at 12:00 PM.

because it's part of their entitlements it's a non issue.
    Precisely what we are talking about and why Redford was canned. These people (both boys and girls) just don't get it. On one hand the PC's want to limit civil servants and union pensions yet they vote for their own salaries, benefits and pensions that they feel that sense of entitlement is afforded to them.

Redford Staffer: The peasants are revolting!
    Queen Redford: I know, they smell bad too.
    Redford Staffer: You don't understand, they are protesting your entitlements
    Queen Redford: I am glad they agree that I am not paid enough. Double my salary and buy me a new limo.
    Redford Staffer: You still don't understand, the people want you out!
    Queen Redford: Right, I agree, time for an outing. Book me me a chalet at the Jasper Park Lodge and for my entourage.

Its not the PC establishment.. its the rules of the legislature.

Strike an all party committee to review it... the speaker is in control of this.
    Right. Who set those rules? The Alberta PC's have had the longest uninterrupted dynasty in Canadian history.

You still don't get it. The entitlements rules were made by the rulers of the Province and that is the PC party.

^ the rules were likely set by the social credit party...

I get a lot of things... including recognizing over reaction, knee jerking and down right assholish behavior.

lets be honest... you simply want this.

I don't blame you... it's innate human nature....

I know of many people that have taken sick leave. I'm sure she needs a break after all that. I'd probably end up with a nervous breakdown. She's strong on the outside but I am sure she is suffering mentally and should be allowed some time off. I blame the party as much as anything. They or someone probably said oh ya, that's ok, and then later everything fell in on her and her cohorts threw her under the bus.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 29-04-2014 at 12:17 PM.

You are absolutely WRONG! That was 43 years ago and the entitlements in 1971 were not anything like what they are today.

^There is plenty of a$$h0llery all round. No, I don't want what your depicting, most people don't. All most people want is a level playing field where MLA's supply written reasons for their absences. I don't want to know what their illness is, that's their business. Just a written note to say they are too sick to work or their injury prevents them from working. Don't need to know about their personal itches, trips to the can, hair lice or upset stomachs. Just supply the note like the rest of the work force to their boss.

So when did Allison get divorced? Interesting how her ex husband bought a foreclosed property in 2010, and this is also her recreation property!

The reason I want to highlight this, is bringing up the fat corrupt contract hand to the same lawyer firm her ex works for!

Interesting that IF their divorce was prior to 2010

I get a lot of things... including recognizing over reaction, knee jerking and down right assholish behavior.

lets be honest... you simply want this.

I don't blame you... it's innate human nature....
    Is that Brazeau and Duffy?

Divorce in 1991 according to online also ex helped led her transition team to become premier!
    Corrupt as corrupt can be!!!!!!

She's been divorced from Robert Hawkes since 1991. According to the paper work it's her second husband who owns the house in Palm Springs.

She's remarried to Glen Jermyn but remains friends with her ex Bob Hawkes ( former MP Jim Hawkes son)

Glen is a lawyer with the Feds

Be interesting to have a fast forward button to see what Redford will be doing in the future. I wonder if her actions today will be a sticking point in her finding work later.
    I should imagine her political days will be coming to an end at the next election. That is if she stays that long.

Don't worry, she's never been one to be out of work and has quite a resume. I wouldn't doubt she has already had offers. Off topic, what comes to my mind is all the monies spent by Canadians in the sunbelt. Wish Alberta had a county there, we'd make billions off of it.

^There is plenty of a$$h0llery all round. No, I don't want what your depicting, most people don't. All most people want is a level playing field where MLA's supply written reasons for their absences. I don't want to know what their illness is, that's their business. Just a written note to say they are too sick to work or their injury prevents them from working. Don't need to know about their personal itches, trips to the can, hair lice or upset stomachs. Just supply the note like the rest of the work force to their boss.
    the rest of the workforce doesn't have to supply notes.. that's the whole point.

Its illegal for an employer to ask about your medical history unless it interferes with the safety/ability to do your job.

an employer would be opening themselves up to a discrimination lawsuit if they did.

People want a head on a stick I get it.. just say it.

C2E SME

Actually anyone with any mind for finance will sat that the current budget reporting is MUCH more informative and much more transparent.

but hey... if you believe the everything the sun writes then i am excited to inform you that Cher gave birth two a two headed Platypus. To that effect if you think this province was DEBT FREE..... HA. It was just hidden away and transferred to our crumbing infrastructure,.
    Would you say that the Auditor General does or does not have a "mind for finance"?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...eral-1.2620020

Alberta's auditor general wants the government to scrap the way it reports how it spends taxpayers money, saying it's too confusing.

For the last two years, the government has separated the annual budget into capital costs and operational spending. Money borrowed for infrastructure spending is no longer considered part of the operational deficit.

Government officials have defended the new budget method, saying taxpayers are interested to know that day-to-day expenses are in line, but critics say the government is merely trying to hide deficit spending.

Either way, Merwan Saher says the provincial budget has become overly complicated.

"In order to avoid people being confused and having to interpret and translate the (budget), I think the government should consider ... presenting a generally accepted, accounting principles-based budget," he said.

Saher said the budget used to be much easier to understand.

"All of that takes precious time that, in my opinion, should be spent on people debating the contents of the budget," he said. "What is the fiscal plan? What is the surplus or deficit compared to previous years?

I did say it 20 posts back before you posted your picture.

"We need to build a work camp prison in Northern Alberta where these political hacks spend 12 hours a day cleaning up tar pond tailings."

You still dop not see the difference between her trip to Palm Springs and the three MLA's medical conditions.

Quote:

^ I wont pretend to know what I don't know.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-K8s8rcIMd7...sslooklike.jpg

I will not pretend to know what she is going through.. be it stress, depression, agreed leave discussed in private with caucus. the system is there... get mad at the speaker for allowing it as he had every right to say no and didn't

But cut the woman some slack. The large majority of that gov't and party threw her under the bus. A type personality... failing would be a huge blow....

just try for one moment to care about humanity in a general sense and cut the woman some slack.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 29-04-2014 at 03:01 PM.

the rest of the workforce doesn't have to supply notes.. that's the whole point.

Its illegal for an employer to ask about your medical history unless it interferes with the safety/ability to do your job.

an employer would be opening themselves up to a discrimination lawsuit if they did.

Are you really that naïve or do you have an imaginary job?. An employer can and usually does ask for a doctors sick note for sick leave exceeding 3 days or more. Due to doctor - patient confidentiality all the sick note has to state is that the person mentioned is unable to work for (insert specified time). The employer cannot get anymore more info than that unless the employee wants to divulge it. If said employee has extended sick leave off from work and the employer needs to know when he/she will be returning they may be allowed through the proper channels to get more info. A sick note from the doctor does not divulge the nature of your sickness it just states how much time the doctor thinks you should be off work. Fortunately, the entitled members down at the ledge do not have to provide such notes. Therefore, if your a member of the ledge you just have to phone the speaker and tell him your not well and your taking X number of weeks/months off because you don't feel well. Even if you call from Palm Springs the speaker takes your word for it. Even if your caught bungee jumping of a high cliff the speaker will still assume your still not up to par to do your duty for your constituents. Now please stop bleating about the average Martha and Henry not needing sick notes. You don't know what you are talking about in this regards.
    Last edited by Gemini; 29-04-2014 at 04:17 PM.

^ look...

I worked for a HUGE Canadian multinational. Doctors notes are useless. You're under NO OBLIGATION to supply one. if you NO NOT supply on NOTHING CAN BE DONE TO YOU.

I assure you if you are involved with ANY company who knows ANYTHING about legality around such things you will be refereed for short term disability and an independent third party will adjudicate the situation and you will be granted short term disability or not.

Collecting medical information on your employees by way of MAKING them divulge such info to the organization is a HUGE liability UNLESS it has to do with safety etc.

Stop beeking off at me and do some research. Its not your HR department that authorizes short term disability and there is a reason for that.

^You need to cool off and try to actually read what people post. Sit down, take a deep breath and try to ingest what is being said. Sick notes DO NOT have to divulge what is wrong with you. A sick note is the first document to let the employer know the employee is unable to work because of illness. If the employee then has to exceed the normal parameters of casual sick leave (usually 2 months then it's long term sick leave) they have to let there employer know. The employer needs to know how long an employee is going to be off to be able to run his/her business and maybe call in a temporary worker.
    Now, I would like you, as it was you stating it, to provide us (the posters on this thread) with any web-sites where it states that sick notes are useless and you do not have to supply them to your employer. I would also like to do a quick run down and ask people on this thread that have employers that do not ask for sick notes or proof of illness. It's not my first rodeo either buddy so I look forward to your web-sites.
    Last edited by Gemini; 29-04-2014 at 04:58 PM.

I required them from any employee off 3 days or more or those who needed lighter work.

^ and if they don't provide them legally you can do nothing...

Just cause ya think it to be true doesn't make it so.

Again this gets back to....

Give the woman a break.

That is why I did not hire you.

BTW, we did give the woman a break. We ousted her from her stressful job as Premier.

^^EDP - Then all we are asking you to do is provide a web-site to say sick notes are not needed. A web-site that says that it is perfectly O.K. to just phone your place of work and tell them you are sick and will be on indefinite sick leave. Let us see where there is no need to document proof of an illness. This really intrigues me that by your statement a person can just arbitrarily phone their place of work and say they will be absent due to illness, don't know when they will be back and expect that their employers will accept this. (I'm not including P.C's in this). The collective 'we' on this thread will be waiting.

I am waiting for EDP to post a tear-filled YouTube rant entitled "LEAVE ALISON ALONE!"

C2E SME

I'd just like to hear why EDP thinks that the Auditor General of Alberta doesn't have a "mind for finance" and why his complaints about the way the government has been budgeting is poor and lacks transparency are invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    I am waiting for EDP to post a tear-filled YouTube rant entitled "LEAVE ALISON ALONE!"
    I think it's a matter of having a heart. Some people can feel compassion while others will circle like vultures until they pick the bones. I personally agree with EDP.

Yes, Alison may be experiencing the effects of clinical depression and she should seek medical care. That depression may have been brought on by losing her job or may have manifested over months or years that lead to her to outbursts of emotion, self serving behavior, OCD and other issues. No one is denigrating mental illness. Contrary to the oft repeated statement, "leave the woman alone", it should be stated, "the woman should seek help".

What is at issue is why was her sense of entitlement, whims and erratic behavior were pandered to for so long and that no one spoke up or controlled the issues earlier. As such, I blame not only her but the many people in power and entitlement around her that lead to huge budgetary deficits and complete lack of responsible government.

I have laid the blame broadly, not just at the individual.

^^EDP - Then all we are asking you to do is provide a web-site to say sick notes are not needed. A web-site that says that it is perfectly O.K. to just phone your place of work and tell them you are sick and will be on indefinite sick leave. Let us see where there is no need to document proof of an illness. This really intrigues me that by your statement a person can just arbitrarily phone their place of work and say they will be absent due to illness, don't know when they will be back and expect that their employers will accept this. (I'm not including P.C's in this). The collective 'we' on this thread will be waiting.
    Gemini.. this is why employers hire independent third parties to manage Sort term disability and long term disability.

These decisions are not made by your employer, your employer receives no details of the happenings of these claims only that is has been granted or not and start and end dates of the coverage.

Under the rules of our legislature the above scenario Gemini depicts seems to be EXACTLY what a MLA can do in the legislature, but that's not Allison's fault.

you can make fun of me referring to some lame *** viral you tube video... I am simply saying she has been kicked enough. Give her some breathing room. Go after the current leader, he has the ability to make such changes.

Gemini I never said that no documentation is needed. What I said is that an employer cannot move forward with any form of of punishment if you ask an employee for a doctors note and it is not delivered.

http://www.albertahumanrights.ab.ca/...informationmay

so lets be clear... DOCTORS NOTE

When I say Doctors note i mean a note saying that So and so was at the doctors office. I.E. You are sick for two days in a row. I need a "doctors note" to prove that you were sick and you saw a doctor. That is a clients personal information. My employer has no right to know when or why I see my doctor.

Also .. once an employee than knows things such as medical history... the employer than has a whole new liability exposure and must ensure that information is safe and used accordingly. Most BIG organization with any type of HR department don't WANT this liability unless absolutely necessary. I once took my ex organization to task because they recorded an employee had scabies. I took them to task because it was not relevant to their job. The person in question was granted medical leave to deal with the issue and the information was stored in an unsafe manor where other people in the management team could access it despite it being completely irrelevant to their daily rolls.

So even if Redford had supplied a note granting medical absenteeism;

a) her employer doesn't need to know WHY... and very rarely can ask. all they need to know is it's needed.
    b) her employer cant tell us that said note was provided or that she is on disability or even say that a note was provided. That is her personal information
    c) you all would still be bitching.

so this whole thing about doctors note really isn't the issue... it's about heads on sticks.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 30-04-2014 at 10:40 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast