Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Premier Redford to make an announcement at 6pm today.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^^EDP - Then all we are asking you to do is provide a web-site to say sick notes are not needed. A web-site that says that it is perfectly O.K. to just phone your place of work and tell them you are sick and will be on indefinite sick leave. Let us see where there is no need to document proof of an illness. This really intrigues me that by your statement a person can just arbitrarily phone their place of work and say they will be absent due to illness, don't know when they will be back and expect that their employers will accept this. (I'm not including P.C's in this). The collective 'we' on this thread will be waiting.
    Gemini.. this is why employers hire independent third parties to manage Sort term disability and long term disability.

These decisions are not made by your employer, your employer receives no details of the happenings of these claims only that is has been granted or not and start and end dates of the coverage.

Under the rules of our legislature the above scenario seems to be EXACTLY what a MLA can do in the legislature, but that's not Allison's fault.

you can make fun of me referring to some lame *** viral you tube video... I am simply saying she has been kicked enough. Give her some breathing room. Go after the current leader, he has the ability to make such changes.
    having read most of the back and forth regarding the above, i would like to add some additional comments. firstly, i'm not sure an mla or an mp or a municipal councilor is actually "an employee" in the traditional/typical sense/use of the term. secondly, while it is true that an employer does not administer any third party provided short or long term benefits program, it is also true that there is often some back and forth between an employer and an employee about when any particular circumstance might be forwarded to the benefit provider for qualification/administration. there can well be circumstances where either paid or unpaid leave can be considered appropriate without referral to a benefits provider/administrator. that is between the employer and the employee although notice is often given - and sometimes required - to the benefits provider/administrator so as not to jeopardize the availability of benefits in the future if that becomes appropriate. it's also worth noting that while an employer may or may not require "a doctor's note", a benefits plan/administrator most certainly will. as for this particular discussion, it seems to me to be more about personal opinions on personal accountability and not a question of what is or isn't allowed for in terms of "benefits" and there's probably not much in terms of facts either way that is going to change too many - if any - of those opinions.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

^EDP -Some of the points you were staunchly denying you are now starting to spout. I said from the very start that a sick note DOES NOT divulge what is wrong with you. It's the first document to let you employer know you are sick. I go on to state that if your sick leave goes onto long term sickness more documentation is required. What part of it did you not understand before you went on your rant. As you keep insisting that any employer has no right to ask for a sick note I would ask you (again) to provide the web-site you are getting this info from. Or the specific paragraph from the Human Rights site I previously provided you. I will provide you with AUPE take on sick notes. The reason AUPE is being put forth is they are the government rank and file workers. The MLA's have an honor system and yet their workers do not.]

http://local058.aupe.ca/faq
    Last edited by Gemini; 30-04-2014 at 10:56 AM.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    ^^EDP - Then all we are asking you to do is provide a web-site to say sick notes are not needed. A web-site that says that it is perfectly O.K. to just phone your place of work and tell them you are sick and will be on indefinite sick leave. Let us see where there is no need to document proof of an illness. This really intrigues me that by your statement a person can just arbitrarily phone their place of work and say they will be absent due to illness, don't know when they will be back and expect that their employers will accept this. (I'm not including P.C's in this). The collective 'we' on this thread will be waiting.
    Gemini.. this is why employers hire independent third parties to manage Sort term disability and long term disability.

These decisions are not made by your employer, your employer receives no details of the happenings of these claims only that is has been granted or not and start and end dates of the coverage.

Under the rules of our legislature the above scenario seems to be EXACTLY what a MLA can do in the legislature, but that's not Allison's fault.

you can make fun of me referring to some lame *** viral you tube video... I am simply saying she has been kicked enough. Give her some breathing room. Go after the current leader, he has the ability to make such changes.
    having read most of the back and forth regarding the above, i would like to add some additional comments. firstly, i'm not sure an mla or an mp or a municipal councilor is actually "an employee" in the traditional/typical sense/use of the term. secondly, while it is true that an employer does not administer any third party provided short or long term benefits program, it is also true that there is often some back and forth between an employer and an employee about when any particular circumstance might be forwarded to the benefit provider for qualification/administration. there can well be circumstances where either paid or unpaid leave can be considered appropriate without referral to a benefits provider/administrator. that is between the employer and the employee although notice is often given - and sometimes required - to the benefits provider/administrator so as not to jeopardize the availability of benefits in the future if that becomes appropriate. it's also worth noting that while an employer may or may not require "a doctor's note", a benefits plan/administrator most certainly will. as for this particular discussion, it seems to me to be more about personal opinions on personal accountability and not a question of what is or isn't allowed for in terms of "benefits" and there's probably not much in terms of facts either way that is going to change too many - if any - of those opinions.
    Well it's splitting hairs on weather to call MLA's employees. Whatever we should call them in the way of their employment status is not really the issue. I find it hard to grasp that some people think it is acceptable to be able to phone their employers and tell them they are going to be off for a week on sick leave and that the employer has to take them at their word. It just doesn't happen in the real world. Can you imagine how easy that is to abuse. I do know there are procedures that take place when people go on long term sick leave. Usually that entails the employers insurance company stepping in as they start to pay sick leave etc. At some point if the employee returns to work the employer may have to modify the work load or setting for the returning employee. All these steps take place and I don't know why the first documentation of a persons illness, the doctors sick note, would not be needed.

^ in order to move forward with a disability provider varying degrees of information will be required based on the situation.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

^EDP -Some of the points you were staunchly denying you are now starting to spout. I said from the very start that a sick note DOES NOT divulge what is wrong with you. It's the first document to let you employer know you are sick. I go on to state that if your sick leave goes onto long term sickness more documentation is required. What part of it did you not understand before you went on your rant. As you keep insisting that any employer has no right to ask for a sick note I would ask you (again) to provide the web-site you are getting this info from. Or the specific paragraph from the Human Rights site I previously provided you. I will provide you with AUPE take on sick notes. The reason AUPE is being put forth is they are the government rank and file workers. The MLA's have an honor system and yet their workers do not.]

http://local058.aupe.ca/faq
    *just want to be clear because as I pointed out it became clear to me that we were not meeting minds and that although we were using the same words we likely were talking about different things/situations

The policy of, in order to use a sick day or "call in sick" requiring a doctors note is, for the most part, not legal.

I would agree Ken that a MLA really isn't an employee... But people are calling for them to be treated as such. It's more like a L.L.P arrangement in my eyes and this is why you see the current rules structured in such a way that the MLS is largely on their own. My Father can take a month off if he so wishes, income will likely still come in, he will still likely make money but his clients will likely not be happy and his business/brand may suffer.

Again she isn't my favorite person.. i don't think she did a great job but I do recognize that she was knifed in the back by her party (rightly or wrongly is besides the point) I would need space as well as would most of you. Her only role is not to sit in the leg... she very well may be doing work remotely.

i personally just don't care for people hiding behind things like doctors notes when really what they want is resignation. I also think there is a much more interesting conversation here if you rise above the "hate Allison" sentiment.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 30-04-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

^Would you still provide the 'sick notes are not required' site.

^^ EDP can you validate some of your points regarding doctor's notes? I am a senior level manager in a very large Canadian company (and have worked for more than one) and the scenarios you reference are decidedly different from actual situations that I have dealt with directly.

It is true that long term disability is administered by a third party (usually the insurance company providing the coverage) but only after extensive consultation between the employee, their doctor (if necessary), the company and the insurance company. Short term disability is self managed by the company as it's, by its nature as "short term", administered by the company because it is funded by the company. (Long term by the insurance company.) In Ms Redfords case, it would be administered by the government if it's short term.

I also think there is a much more interesting conversation here if you rise above the "hate Allison" sentiment.
    You just love taking comments out of context and turning them into a victimization issue don't you? Gemini did not say anything directly about Redford in his most recent posts. He is just asking for the sources of your rhetoric.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 30-04-2014 at 12:32 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

^ The two multinationals i have been part of actually use their Long Term disability providers to adjudicate the company's short term situation.

To be clear Short term normally looks something like over 5 days but less than 3 months. Long term would be beyond that.

1) Employee calls in sic often, normally a single occurrence. normally no notice. Direct manager says " you have had too many sick days" I want a doctors note every time you call in sick.

^ this is what most people experience or are asked for... these types of asks are largely unacceptable.

Instead you confirm a care plan is in action, not what it is but simply that one is there. Ask questions about needs, alt work arrangements or additional accommodations. I.e The sick days are related to lower back problems and a special chair is required. a "doctors note" is often then required to allow for special accommodations. A prescription for a chair for example.

I did link a website from a HR resources based on Alberta law that outlines pretty well what can and cant be done.

in regard to Allison

1) If she is on medical leave of some sort for some reason - she is entitled to that
    2) she is entitled to per privacy
    3) she is no longer the leader of the gov't. Issues and topics of such should be directed to her
    4) I don't feel that it is unexpected that a former leader remove themselves from the situation quickly as to allow for the replacement to move forward
    5) Horrible things were said about her and her daughter. She alluded to the fact that this was having a very negative impact on her daughter.

We can still have PC heads on sticks without Allison sitting in the legislature and I point out again that physically sitting in that building may be the most visible part of their job but I doubt it makes up the majority of it more like a very small percentage.

This isn't really about Dr notes... its about getting even and the "Rob Fortification" of politics. Where we now follow contentious politicians around with your cell phones. many times I could have posted pictures of Redford at The Marc, but I wouldn't because I have class, she isn't doing anything that really harms Alberta or the Gov't and really who cares.

Politics in this province has become a joke, we have long accepted antics like throwing money at people in a drunken stooper as acceptable. If anyone tries to raise the standard I feel like they are simply "two boring" to be news worthy.... no we need tit buses and behavior that results in schools advising they will no longer take kids to the leg because members of parliament are suggesting "fist fights" are the way to settle things...

I don't say leave her alone because I like her or I think she doesn't deserve heat... I just don't think that taking photos of her, in private settings with her child is not very.. well... Albertan.

Sources please. You keep ranting and have not provided a single verifiable source that references to the labour laws in Alberta.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Here is one example of the published rules

The rule: Employers are allowed to ask employees for a doctor’s note on 3 conditions:
    1. They need the information to perform a legitimate and necessary employment-related function;
    2. They ask for only the information they need to accomplish that function; and
    3. They keep the medical information they collect from the doctor confidential.

WHEN YOU CAN & CAN’T ASK FOR A DOCTOR’S NOTE
    Generally, you can ask for a doctor’s note to:
    1. Enforce your organization’s attendance management requirements and ensure that employees have a legitimate medical reason for being absent;
    2. Confirm that an employee who calls in sick is entitled to sick pay;
    3. Determine if employees are entitled to disability benefits, workers’ comp and other illness/injury-related benefits;
    4. Determine if employees are entitled to disability, medical or other leaves of absence under employment standards laws and/or their contract or collective agreement;
    5. Verify that employees requesting accommodations for a medical condition really have such a condition;
    6. Determine the capabilities of injured/ill employees who request accommodations and/or as part of the return-to-work process; and
    7. Confirm that employees are following the terms of the rehab, anger management or other employment-related treatment plans they’re required to complete

You’re not allowed to ask employees for a doctor’s note when you don’t need the information to perform a legitimate employment-related task

Source http://hrinsider.ca/wp-content/uploa...tober-2012.pdf
    HR Compliance Insider Report
    BOARD OF ADVISORS
    Hugh A. Christie, Gowling, Lafleur, Henderson, LLP, Toronto, ON
    David S. Cohen, EdD Strategic Action Group, Toronto, ON
    Vicki L. Giles, LLB McLennan Ross LLP, Edmonton, AB
    Maria McDonald, LLB Dykeman Dewhurst O'Brien LLP, Toronto, ON
    Ken Krohman, McKenzie Fujisawa, Vancouver, BC
    Greg McGinnis, Heenan Blaikie, Toronto, ON
    Robert Smithson, Smithson Law LLP, Kelowna, BC
    R. Ross, Wace Wace & Associates, Mississauga, ON

Example of Ontario Rules

Medical Notes where the Employee Was Away Because of Personal Illness, Injury or Medical Emergency

If the circumstances are such that it is reasonable for the employer to require the employee to provide a doctor's note, the employer can ask only for the following information:

The duration or expected duration of the absence,
    The date the employee was seen by a health care professional,
    Whether the patient was examined in person by the health care professional issuing the certificate.
    Employers are not allowed to require information about the diagnosis or treatment of the medical condition of the employee.

http://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/.../emergency.php

See EDP it was not hard to prove you are wrong.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 30-04-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Nobody is talking about getting even with Alison. We are talking about MLA's being on an honor system in regards to absences and the Martha and Henry's of Alberta not having the same privilege. If the Right Honourable Redford is (not confirmed yet) on sick leave so be it. The question is why do MLA's not have to provide proof like the rest of us. They are no better or different than you or I. If Redford is going to be away from her constituencies for any length of time it would be prudent if she could get someone to stand in for her. Let's be hypothetical for a moment. What if another flood happened in Calgary and it effected her riding. Who would be the go to person her constituents would approach. Have the people who voted for her in her riding been given any form of correspondence or phone call in regards to Redford's intentions. If not it's just another slap in the face from a P.C. member that thinks they don't have to answer to anyone.

^ o no the general public is very very much on a ride allison bent.

Please have some respect and spell the poor, poor woman's name correctly. It is correctly spelled Alison.

^ The two multinationals i have been part of actually use their Long Term disability providers to adjudicate the company's short term situation.

Whether the companies you work for are multinational or not means squat. They have to abide by the jurisidiction they are in. Note too that depending on the company and the business they are in, they may have to follow federal labour laws and codes as opposed to provincial. (Just a tip for you while you're furiously looking for proof on your exclusionary statements.)

Oh, and one more thing. Alison should resign. It is patently obvious she is through and without question, unelectable. I have never seen someone in an elected position possess less political instinct than her. To run out her time on the government purse only adds to her reputation of entitlement and cynicism. The honourable thing for her to do is resign. She is of no use whatsoever to her constituents and any attempt to demonstrate otherwise is laughable. If she called it a day, she could go to Palm Springs or wherever with whoever whenever she wants. THEN she deserves to be left alone.

Has she had a rough few months? You bet. Did she bring it on herself? Absolutely. So she should do the only right thing and call it a day.
    Last edited by PJC; 30-04-2014 at 03:46 PM.

...........and Alison is basically telling us all to kiss her **** while sunning it up in Palm Springs. I realize she may have a medical condition, it could be Troughaluffacus (withdrawal from the public purse) which can be particularly nasty if you get a bad case of it. Whatever the reason I think she owes her constituents at least a bulletin to let them know who is taken her place in her absence or who to contact if there is an emergency. She has done none of this. She did manage to make a phone call at the 11 th. hour before her pay was to be docked to tell the speaker she had a legit reason to be absent. Gawd forbid she loose a cent of her entitlements.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Please have some respect and spell the poor, poor woman's name correctly. It is correctly spelled Alison.
    He's going to be telling us soon that Alison is spelling her own name wrong. It should be two L's.

One of Redford's key announcements on her 2012 bullship platform of lies was to build 140 Family Care Clinics. The province only has nine clinics in development, 3 of which were started in 2012. Redford on her bowing out speech was saying there will soon be 80. Even on her way out she is still trying to con the populous. Fred Horne said he thinks it was an over ambitious target. Gotta love Fred for stating the obvious but what he should have said was 'ha ha, we duped you again into getting elected'.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...202/story.html

I'd rather C2E than work!

I'm not sure if that promise had much to do with getting elected. In my memory Wildrose helped Redford win that election. Wildrose was leading up until the parts where certain racist statements were said and where Danielle announced most of the projects cancelled were going to be in the Edmonton area and few in the Calgary area.

^Promises of new health facilities and extra funding got the health workers voting for her just as promises of new school schools and additional funding got teachers voting for her. Lies got the P.C's elected and the Wildrose bozo eruptus cost them lost votes. It will also be interesting to see how many of Redford's schools actually get build. If I was a betting person I would say maybe a fraction of what she stated.

to be fair... she wasn't able to finish her mandate.... she was forced out. If it doesnt happen its the parties fault not hers.

I think the building Alberta message was the right one... I think it's the PC strong hold that is scared of it. I also suspect there was talk about the introduction of progressive income tax.

I wonder if we could FOIP the info collected via the public feedback session on the budget!!!

Edp are u actual Allison Redford? Or are u a close friend or family relation?

You seem to be absolutely smitten over!

to be fair... she wasn't able to finish her mandate.... she was forced out. If it doesnt happen its the parties fault not hers.

I think the building Alberta message was the right one... I think it's the PC strong hold that is scared of it. I also suspect there was talk about the introduction of progressive income tax.
    Hallelujah she was not able to finish her mandate. It's unfortunate she had a golden opportunity to be a real force in Alberta but she squandered it away. How many people get a chance to be a leader of the province and then just act like a one man band. It's unfortunate but I imagine she will go down as the most incompetent and disliked premier the province has had. The rest of the party is no better. They let her get away with so much for so long. They gave her a gun and she shot herself in the foot. Even now she is still living in the land of PC entitlement and the party is still reluctant to anything about it.

I wonder if we could FOIP the info collected via the public feedback session on the budget!!!
    If it's the publics feedback on the budget I should imagine it will be mostly blacked out because of all the expletives. Not worth paying the FOIP fee to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by PJC View Post
    ^^ EDP can you validate some of your points regarding doctor's notes? I am a senior level manager in a very large Canadian company (and have worked for more than one) and the scenarios you reference are decidedly different from actual situations that I have dealt with directly.
    EDP, we are still waiting for your responses to several requests for sources for the rhetoric you spout.

C2E SME

I'd still like to hear EDP explain how or why he thinks that the Auditor General of Alberta doesn't have a "mind for finance", given the AG's complaints about Alberta's changed budgeting process. He's ignored me at least 3 times now.

http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story...were-a-woman-/

If Rob Ford were a woman …
    … She’d have been drummed out of office for being hysterical, unfit to govern and a bad mother

Sexist media coverage is often cited by women as a reason they don't run for office, so switching genders is an interesting exercise to show how women politicians are likely to be treated.

Ask women in politics, like Calgary councillor Druh Farrell, and they'll tell you they're frequently judged by their appearance and are often victims of sexist reporting. Farrell has been in office 12 years and is still shocked by how often she reads "personal comments and very demeaning sexist comments" in the media about her.

Carole James, former NDP leader in B.C., frequently received letters criticizing her hairstyle and wardrobe, and B.C. Premier Christie Clark was once criticized for showing cleavage in question period.

Former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, one of the most influential politicians on the planet, is constantly being slammed for her appearance, with the media going so far as to describe her as looking "haggard" and "as old as a 92 year old."

This issue needs to be explored because Canada is ranked 45th in the world for the number of women in politics, according to the Inter-Parliamentary Union. That puts Canada below countries like Uganda, Afghanistan and Rwanda, which has the highest number of elected women at 56.3 per cent.

Finance minister stands by new budget format, as criticism swirls

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Fi...776/story.html

In an interview, the finance minister said the new format has drawn praise from credit rating agencies such as Standard and Poor, and business groups such as the Alberta Chambers of Commerce.

“They recognize it’s the same as you and I do in our homes or businesses. You’ve got an income statement and you have a balance sheet that shows your net worth going up or down. That’s effectively what we’ve done,” he said.

_______

So no there is no single consensus on the new budget format being good or bad... but I understand it. 3 ledgers, Infrustructure/Capital Projects. Savings. Operations.

Its pretty clear that Albertan's wants the province to continue to build and refurbish existing infrastructure and we have indicated that we are willing to take on debt to do this. If you think that Edmonton alone has invested 2.5 Billion into infrastructure itself... the province should likely be at an amount 3-4 Times this amount and given today's credit environment and our credit rating... Borrowing is a prudent way of doing this.

So Marcel I don't know why you think that a budget for a multi billion dollar organization should be "simply" summed up into one line.

C2E SME

Hey, I'm not a finance guy. All's I know is that the AG is supposed to be looking out for the best interests of the Alberta taxpayers, and he's got a problem with how things are being done: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...eral-1.2620020

Frankly, I find Horner's comments that governmental budgeting should be the "same as you and I do in our homes or businesses" to be asinine. The government of Alberta isn't a household or a business, why should it budget like one?

I couldn't find any record of "praise" from S&P. I did find this from the ACC: http://www.sprucegrovechamber.com/pa...ialBudget2014/

What I gather from that is that the ACC is just happy that the government is keeping the taps open on infrastructure spending, which of course is exactly what the Chamber's members would like to see. Nowhere do they say that they feel that the methods adopted by the government lend themselves to better transparency or accountability.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I couldn't find any record of "praise" from S&P. I did find this from the ACC: http://www.sprucegrovechamber.com/pa...ialBudget2014/
    It's a little telling that EDP's defence consists entirely of spin from the mouth of Horner himself, not direct quotes from any of the third party organizations that Horner is alluding to.

so its telling that the news paper article says that the ACC gave it broad support... when they infact did.

SHOCKING!

I assure you that the Alberta Gov't is very much a business!

I really fail to understand why people don't understand the dif between operating, savings and capital expenditures.

its pretty simple to me and I have an arts education not a finance one.

We clearly voted for a gov't that was going to keep investing in infrastructure, its what a large majority wanted. Are you surprised that special interest groups and cranky old has-beens get in front of it to use it as publicity? We need to start from a perspective of reconizing the difference between politics, and policy. People like ted Morton are playing politics. After all we are talking about a person who was part of a gov't that paid off the debt on the back of infrastructure and maintenance. Their approach was HARDLY balanced... but now all of a sudden their criticism is flawless.... He has a vested interest in protecting what was and can hardly come out saying they were wrong.

the simple fact that I and others do not have great issue with the new reporting structure simply shows that it's not all BAD!... it's different... and some people don't like change.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by edp
    ... it's different... and some people don't like change.
    Including the Auditor General of Alberta, whose opinion I'd say should probably carry more weight than the ACC or the politicians covering their own butts. But like you said, he probably doesn't have a "financial mind" and is just confused.

^ When did i say the auditor general didnt have a financial mind... those are your words man!

I never said that.

Question did you read the auditor's report? http://www.oag.ab.ca/webfiles/report...2013report.pdf

In no way does he question the high level framework of the budget reporting but he does question how some line items are accounted for... and yes from accounting 101 we know that if you change the reporting process it's hard to compare the current results to the results of years past.

The Auditor never said that the broad framework of Capital, Savings and operations was bad... he talks about the movement of some categories such as grants to municipalities from operations to the capital category. I am sure some things need to be refined but his report was hardly extensive... it was 3 pages long. I can't speak audit speak very well so I don't know if it's 3 pages of scathing or what.. but the high level frame work seems to be solid and widely accepted as good.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 05-05-2014 at 01:14 PM.

Yeah we understand the concept of budgets:
    Operating budget - monies that need to be paid for day to day expenses like utilities, mortgages, food, repairs, insurance etc.
    Savings Budget - What you put by for holidays, retirement, kids college etc.
    Debt - Credit cards, Line of Credit, other debt etc.

That's household debt which looks like a government budgets but they should not be used for comparison purposes. Governments have constant access to taxpayers money. People cannot afford that luxury as they could be out of a job due to lay offs, sickness etc.
    Thing is most people try to pay down their debt. The P.C's are cranking theirs up. Fine, they try to make it sound better by saying interest rates are low, time to borrow. Then they go on borrowing money over a period of a few years with no end in sight of that borrowing. Another thing about this current crop of PC's. How many of the projects that Redford lied about during her platform are actually going to reach completion let alone even getting off the ground. The 150 clinics she promised have now been whittled down to 9. The schools she promised, 50+ will probably end up being 3.
    As for the way the government presents their budget. Well, most people can do their budgeting on one spreadsheet with three columns. These P.C. jokers do their's with three separate books hoping that the 'borrowing' book takes a back seat to the other two. Keeping it simple does not seem to resonate with them.
    By the way EDP did you find any info on the 'no sick note required' brief. We are still waiting.

Not specifically worded as such, but...

Actually anyone with any mind for finance will sat that the current budget reporting is MUCH more informative and much more transparent.

^ ?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Not specifically worded as such, but...

Actually anyone with any mind for finance will sat that the current budget reporting is MUCH more informative and much more transparent.
    Right and read the report.. the auditor never calls into the question the broad framework.. he calls into question where some categories are reported. At least what i pull form the scant 3 pages that was written on the subject.

Here are the specific issues the auditor outlines in the budget... again I point out that the basic framework of the budget is not called into question... The "deceptionn
    is the way that certain things are accounted for... I am not an accountant so some of this goes over my head but I am not so dim that it's totally lost on me.

In Appendix A, we have detailed the differences between the computations of the surplus/deficit in
    Budget 2013, Budget 2012 and the province’s financial statements. The largest difference is that capital
    grants to municipalities are expenses under accounting standards but are not included as operational
    expenses in Budget 2013’s operational plan; rather they are included as part of the capital plan. If the
    province’s Budget 2013 had been prepared on the same basis as the province’s Budget 2012, the
    calculated deficit would be $1.975 billion for fiscal 2013–2014. This is a calculation to illustrate
    differences; it is not a revision of Budget 2013.
    The main differences between Budget 2013’s operational plan surplus/deficit and Budget 2012’s
    surplus/deficit are:
    • Some capital grants are not included in expenses in the government’s operational plan
    surplus/deficit, but are included in expenses under accounting standards. For example, grants under
    the Municipal Sustainability Initiative are included in Budget 2013 as part of the capital plan. While
    these grants may fund capital assets, these capital assets are not owned by the province. Therefore,
    accounting standards require these grants be treated as expenses in the calculation of
    surplus/deficit. They would not be an expense if the province owned the assets.
    Canadian Public Sector Accounting Standards, Section 1200 Financial Statement Presentation (PS 1200.119–1200.125)TREASURY BOARD AND FINANCE | THE BUDGET FOR FINANCIAL REPORTING PURPOSES
    REPORT OF THE AUDITOR GENERAL OF ALBERTA | JULY 2013 102
    • Capital and savings related items:
    − Alberta Heritage Savings Trust Fund’s retained income is included in total revenue, but then
    deducted from total revenue as part of the calculation of operational revenue. Under accounting
    standards, this retained income would be included in income.
    − Revenue for capital purposes is included in total revenue, but is then deducted from total revenue
    as part of the calculation of operational revenue. Under accounting standards, revenue received for
    capital purposes would also be excluded from surplus/deficit, but would become part of
    surplus/deficit over time as those assets are used to provide services.
    − Operational revenue excludes an amount “Allocation for debt servicing costs” and general debt
    servicing costs in operational expense excludes capital debt servicing costs. Accounting standards
    do not have a similar reduction from revenues. Instead, these amounts would be included as debt
    servicing costs in determining surplus/deficit, so debt servicing costs would be higher. The net
    impact on surplus/deficit is nil.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 05-05-2014 at 01:25 PM.

^ Fuddle Duddle

so I reply with an informed balance response that site actual sources... and your informed reply and attempt on adult debate is....Fuddle Duddle...

good to know.

^When you state 'I am not an accountant' you should just leave it at that. When you post statements as in post #239 can you site your source. Can you not understand that a 1 page spread sheet trumps 3 separate statements. Of course not, your a Redford apologist.

I am not an accountant but I can read and understand things... I am not a lawyer but I understand and explain legal contracts all day.

And by your own logic,unless you are an accountant, you also have no basis to be commenting.

Thanks.

^You still did not site your source on post #239. You still haven't put forth any sources about your statement that 'sick notes are not needed'. Please try to hold yourself accountable for your posts. Another thing, my posts are my opinions. Unlike you I don't try to con people into thinking my opinion(s) are actual facts.

^ are you a HR senior policy analyst or employment lawyer... if not you really can't speak to the topic...

shall we continue the little game you started... or are we done yet?

^All I'm asking for is your sources. It's usually a requirement on forums.

^ all I am asking for is your credentials.... that is normally required when one wants to present as a subject matter expert...

wanna keep dancing or are we both going to accept we are laymen. I will not name the organizations I am referring to. Their HR policies are their own and I do not want to entangle myself in any legalities. just like I would never ask you to divulge policies and practices of your work place. If you are REALLY interested and pay attention you can pull together my employment history as I am a licensed professional and such matters are often publicly searchable.

I will not respond further on this specific subject.

^Typical cop out. Nobody is asking for one specific companies policy we are asking for the general encompassing policy that pertains to the Alberta workforce and it's workers. The actual policy and procedure manual you are getting your info from. Your the one dancing around it. It you have the info just supply us with the source. We can read it ourselves from there. I'll decline the offer of your credentials as I can tell by reading your posts you are not qualified for most of the things you put forth.

^ I never seriously wanted them... its a point. I will consider it made.

Back to the thread topic.

http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story...were-a-woman-/

If Rob Ford were a woman …
    … She’d have been drummed out of office for being hysterical, unfit to govern and a bad mother

Sexist media coverage is often cited by women as a reason they don't run for office, so switching genders is an interesting exercise to show how women politicians are likely to be treated.

Ask women in politics, like Calgary councillor Druh Farrell, and they'll tell you they're frequently judged by their appearance and are often victims of sexist reporting. Farrell has been in office 12 years and is still shocked by how often she reads "personal comments and very demeaning sexist comments" in the media about her.

Carole James, former NDP leader in B.C., frequently received letters criticizing her hairstyle and wardrobe, and B.C. Premier Christie Clark was once criticized for showing cleavage in question period.

Former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, one of the most influential politicians on the planet, is constantly being slammed for her appearance, with the media going so far as to describe her as looking "haggard" and "as old as a 92 year old."

This issue needs to be explored because Canada is ranked 45th in the world for the number of women in politics, according to the Inter-Parliamentary Union. That puts Canada below countries like Uganda, Afghanistan and Rwanda, which has the highest number of elected women at 56.3 per cent.
    I'll re-post this.....

I find it a very interesting piece.. and relevant to teh trials of our own "not very nice lady" and "horrid daughter meat shield using mother"

^^you never seriously wanted what?. Your ^post is not making sense............
    You also keep mentioning a 'meat shield' comment. You first mentioned it in post #161. Could you please find the source of that comment as it is an absolute asinine comment in to make in any situation. I would like to see who and why that comment was made.

It now appears that the PC's are trying to airbrush Alison out of their history. Apparently no mention of her at their fund raising dinner and not one frame of her in their movie presentation.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Alber...114/story.html
    Last edited by Gemini; 05-05-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Any truth in the rumour Redford was in the ledge today?. No mention on any of the other media outlets yet.

No one has posted the office furniture story yet....

It s likely the office needs serious updates anyways. I wonder what other premiers have done when they come in.

Finally she shows up to do her job. But I still ask what would it have taken to issue a press release a few weeks ago saying she was taking a bit of time off to re-assess the situation, and to contact her constituency office for local matters. I just typed that up in about 1 minute ... oh I know it would have taken care, respect and consideration for her voters and constituents, something that is still clearly lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Finally she shows up to do her job. But I still ask what would it have taken to issue a press release a few weeks ago saying she was taking a bit of time off to re-assess the situation, and to contact her constituency office for local matters. I just typed that up in about 1 minute ... oh I know it would have taken care, respect and consideration for her voters and constituents, something that is still clearly lacking.
    Sundance Again I would point out that very little of her actual job is done under the dome. As a back bencher you don't really play a vital role in question period. All questions that would have been directed to the front benches anyways.

As she states she took 4 personal days. Give nthe nature of the very ugly thrashing she and her family took... I would do the same.

still no one has said anything about the 70,000 worth of office furniture... lol.

That's a real story that deserves examining.

So if I were to do my job at home and not contact my boss beforehand, because after all very little of my job needs to be done at work then everything is okay? Her boss might in technicality be the Queen, Lieutenant Governor, Premier or Party Whip but the electorate is ultimately her boss.

No, I still stand by my words, her actions show a lack of consideration of Albertans, if you can't see this or are a member of the Progressive Conservative Party of Alberta you will probably have a rude shock coming in the next election.
    Last edited by sundance; 06-05-2014 at 09:56 AM.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

I have hidden 5 posts.

I will respond to one of the last posts I hid. Please, if asked to produce sources, either produce them, or say you cannot but this is your opinion.

It would stop a lot of arguing.
    Ow

Yes, either produce the source or quit the drama queen act. EDP mentioned the term 'meat shield' more than once on this thread. Upon asking him for the source of this comment he completely ignored me. If he is spouting this off as his own thoughts then he should say so. On the question of sick notes. We would like to see the source where they are not necessary as well as your employee cannot force you to produce one. We want to see this for ourselves so we have up to date knowledge of these things. If he is just spouting for drama then he should ****.

Thank you Admin!

EDP is invoking his right to keep sources confidential.

Wily ol' coyoot.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

My post and request for people to be more forthright with their sources or rationale was global. It was not restricted to one poster over or above another.

Thank you.
    Ow

She looks good in her 2008 hairdo. My source "Mr. Blackwell"

^ Did someone REALLY write that?!

I think she looks relaxed and refreshed. I am glad that her and her family could spend time together.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Redford's dissatisfaction with sheriffs cost province $638,813

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...226/story.html

The provincial government paid Calgary police more than $600,000 to provide added protection to then premier Alison Redford after she raised concerns about short-staffing and security incidents while under the watch of Alberta Sheriffs.
    I've read stories about the former Queen of Alberta having a bigger security detail than the Prime Minister. The comment about her dissatisfaction with the sherriffs because they ruined her photo ops made me chuckle!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Man, you don't say:

“Premier complains that EPU members are ‘too close’ and keep ruining her photo ops by appearing in them at her side. EPU is instructed to give her more space,” wrote LeMay, who left Alberta Sheriffs in May 2013.
    And then she turns around and (essentially) complains that they're not close enough!

A month later, Redford told officials she was “accosted” at an event in Calgary.

“Premier advises she was accosted by a drunk female at an event at the BMO Centre and her security failed to intervene. Security advises they were within 15 feet of her and they did not see the incident,” LeMay noted.

Man, you don't say:

“Premier complains that EPU members are ‘too close’ and keep ruining her photo ops by appearing in them at her side. EPU is instructed to give her more space,” wrote LeMay, who left Alberta Sheriffs in May 2013.
    And then she turns around and (essentially) complains that they're not close enough!

A month later, Redford told officials she was “accosted” at an event in Calgary.

“Premier advises she was accosted by a drunk female at an event at the BMO Centre and her security failed to intervene. Security advises they were within 15 feet of her and they did not see the incident,” LeMay noted.
    This is all just a smear campaign against her because she is a woman. Amirite?

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by jizzaldo View Post
    Man, you don't say:

This is all just a smear campaign against her because she is a woman. Amirite?
    if our premier for the same period of time had been a man named al instead of a woman named alison and had conducted himself in the same manner, would anyone say "this is all just a smear campaign against him because he is a man"?

irrespective of the support that was or was not provided by the party and the advice that was or wasn't given (and was or wasn't taken), the past premier was responsible for her own choices and decisions, just as we all are responsible for our choices and decisions.

i don't care whether the past premier was a woman or a man or a member of the lgbt community. they all deserve the same respect - including the same right to privacy - but, in the other direction, we all deserve exactly the same respect in regard to how they conduct themselves. and the evidence would seem to be that alison - for whatever reasons - didn't manage to do that. that has nothing to do with gender.
    Last edited by kcantor; 11-05-2014 at 10:40 AM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

This is grassroots exposure of waste this government allowed under Allison Redford. Only 10 years of average persons wage wasted( provincial government has security on the payroll already).

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    if our premier for the same period of time had been a man named al instead of a woman named alison and had conducted himself in the same manner, would anyone say "this is all just a smear campaign against him because he is a man"?

irrespective of the support that was or was not provided by the party and the advice that was or wasn't given (and was or wasn't taken), the past premier was responsible for her own choices and decisions, just as we all are responsible for our choices and decisions.

i don't care whether the past premier was a woman or a man or a member of the lgbt community. they all deserve the same respect - including the same right to privacy - but, in the other direction, we all deserve exactly the same respect in regard to how they conduct themselves. and the evidence would seem to be that alison - for whatever reasons - didn't manage to do that. that has nothing to do with gender.
    My original post was sarcastic. At this time in Alberta politics, I don't believe gender played any role in the issues Alison faced(s). Had Horner won the premiership and did the same things she did, with the opposition we have now, he absolutely would have had to answer for it, in much the same manner.

I think people's biggest issue with the wasteful spending under Redford is not that she was female, but the problem was with her nonchalant attitude towards it, and the perception that she actually seemed to feel entitled to it.

If it was not her doing that, it was certainly a problem for her image. This image problem was compounded in our province, where responsible fiscal management in government is so valued by so many voters.

Does the news about her abuse of spending ever end?

During the height of flooding she spends 30 minutes in meetings then high tails it to Jasper for a relaxing weekend.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...883/story.html

Then yesterday CBC find out she had an advanced scout check out hotels, restaurants before she went on trips, did she ever hear of Travelocity or Tripadvisor?
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...223/story.html

^ Yawn...

Old news.

Old meaning yesterday... do you try to be this annoying or is it natural?

No I mean she inst the premier anymore and I, like others, view the
    whole thing as old news. Do you always assume that everyone shares the same opinion or feels the same as you do?

This just in! Premier has staff... they do things for her...

If you don't think The Ralph flew hereand there for a 30min -2 hours or for a personal fishing trip..;.. or a tax paid dinner you are sadly mistaken. When here he stayed in his appointment that was tax payer paid for. Blew his nose with tax payer klenex and wiped his bum with tax payer toilet paper.

What do we realistically think it takes to run a province, a province that wants to be a world player on the oil/gas/energy stage....

so again i stress... old news.. the more the press and the wild rose drudge this stuff up the more it looks like they don't have anything current to talk about.

Does the news about her abuse of spending ever end?

During the height of flooding she spends 30 minutes in meetings then high tails it to Jasper for a relaxing weekend.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...883/story.html

Then yesterday CBC find out she had an advanced scout check out hotels, restaurants before she went on trips, did she ever hear of Travelocity or Tripadvisor?
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...223/story.html
    Brutal, it is an interesting predicament for the new premier, will need to put a lot of distance between themselves and her. I can't think of anyone I know (aside from EDP who seems able to excuse anything the former PC leader did), who isn't pretty disgusted at the whole afair.

^the calls for her to resign her seat are not old news, it's something I would like to see her do (I don't believe she can win it now), but per the articles and her spending habits, I don't expect that to happen.
    Last edited by moahunter; 26-06-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Of course if you support the PC party you want this to go away, that is to be expected. They want this buried as deep as possible, but a better strategy is expose as much as possible as early as possible, then when the election comes the new leader can say they cleaned things up and more time would pass so some would forget.

By delaying things you end up with a continual stream of embarrassing leaks as various news agencies find out these sort of things will be happening right up until the provincial election in 2016.

^agreed, there are probably going to be a lot more stories of ridiculous spending / use of aircraft dripping out, the PC's need to wash it clean ASAP, having her resign her seat would help matters, but opening up and getting as much information out at once would help to. If I was in opposition and got information on one of these stories, I'd hold it in my back pocket for election time.
    Last edited by moahunter; 26-06-2014 at 12:40 PM.

Queen Ally wanted someone to check out the upholstery and cushions in her hotel room before she got there herself. I am hoping she doesn't step down before the next election. Let her sit it out to remind us all just what a parasite she was with the public purse. It's also a reminder to us that all the MLA's that are criticizing her now did nothing about it while she reigned. It took the opposition parties to point out the error of her ways and the backlash of public opinion for Redford's hand maidens to finally turf her out. As for Lukaszuk, he just an opportunist.

Of course if you support the PC party you want this to go away, that is to be expected. They want this buried as deep as possible, but a better strategy is expose as much as possible as early as possible, then when the election comes the new leader can say they cleaned things up and more time would pass so some would forget.

By delaying things you end up with a continual stream of embarrassing leaks as various news agencies find out these sort of things will be happening right up until the provincial election in 2016.
    Are you saying I support the PC party !HA!

but really whats a a half liter gasoline thrown onto a burning house.... not much.

It took the opposition parties to point out the error of her ways and the backlash of public opinion for Redford's hand maidens to finally turf her out. As for Lukaszuk, he just an opportunist.
    Although in fairness, there were rumblings of backbench unhappiness with her leadership. I expect most of these facts have orginated from the PC party, which is odd, because they have historically very good at keeping skeletons out of public eye (not many parties can do for as long as they have). There is only so much you can cover up though, these incidents are extreme.

It was well known Ally had an aloof sour disposition and reigned with a iron fist. She had none of the MLA's backing her when she was anointed, to punish that transgression she hired her inner circle from down east. The MLA's did not like her, the party brass did not like her, the public did not like her. Now it seems the P.C's are reverting back to their usual old white guy with 70's mentality mode.

^ Add in that you have an effective opposition with a budget and staffing enough to do more than just answer the phone.

(backed by a lot of people who likely know where to look)

Top story in the NP right now, talk that she might be kicked out of her seat:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/06...berta-premier/

^Lukaszuk talked about kicking her out of the Tory caucus. A bit rich for someone who was Deputy Premier for most of the time Redford was Premier.

Regardless, that different than kicking her out of her seat. I suspect she's just keeping the seat warm until Prentice can run there in a byelection after he gets elected PC leader.

I hope they don't kick her out. When the Ledge is back in sitting hopefully every now and then we get reminders of her. These sightings of her will jog the memories of people just what a big bunch of shysters the P.C's are. They were all there when she was doing her world tour at our expense. All there when she was building her hip digs on top of the Fed Building. None of those guys stepped forward and called her out on it, it's like they just found out. They are all about as much use as a fish tank in the ocean.

Do really think that Redford has hone things that are GROSSLY different than people like Ralph.

He abused the gov't fleet so he could smoke for the love of god....

The focus needs to be on the party because Redford will leave.. the party remains and its the party that is entrenched and entitled.

^did you miss the part where I said they were all a bunch of shysters.

Now this is the way Redford should apologise. Do it with feeling.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lic-money.html

Did ya miss the part where she lost her job...

like really.

One of her jobs, she is still an MLA, even if the party turfs her she doesn't have to resign and can sit as an independent. The ways a MLA can be forced out are mostly criminal (bribes, assault, falsifying evidence to a government probe or election documents), although if they win a Senate or House of Commons seat they are disqualified as a MLA
    http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?pa...cln=0779747437

Did ya miss the part where she lost her job...

like really.
    I know it's a hot day but quit acting like your draws are sticking to you.
    No I didn't miss the part about her losing her royal status. Like really..........

One of her jobs, she is still an MLA, even if the party turfs her she doesn't have to resign and can sit as an independent. The ways a MLA can be forced out are mostly criminal (bribes, assault, falsifying evidence to a government probe or election documents), although if they win a Senate or House of Commons seat they are disqualified as a MLA
    http://www.qp.alberta.ca/1266.cfm?pa...cln=0779747437
    Cripes, I hope she never shows up again in a job where she has access to taxpayers money.

Premier Alison Redford’s flights had ‘false passengers,’ auditor general says
    Alberta premier’s staff ‘blocked’ other passengers from government planes

A review by Alberta's auditor general found "false passengers" were booked on at least a dozen government flights, making it possible for then premier Alison Redford to fly alone with her entourage.

Merwan Saher also concluded Redford derived a "personal benefit" by taking her daughter on dozens of government flights. Saher raises the question of whether Redford's desire to take her daughter on out-of-province trips may have influenced the decision to use government aircraft rather than commercial carriers.

These findings are contained in an internal report to the government obtained exclusively by CBC News.

Alison Redford billed taxpayers for $9,200 Palm Springs flight
    Alison Redford flew daughter on dozens of government flights
    Alison Redford's travel expenses to be audited
    University of Alberta political scientist Jim Lightbody said he has never seen anything like the report.

Jim Lightbody, University of Alberta political scientist Jim Lightbody says the auditor general's findings detail a blatant abuse of public resources. (CBC)

"It reveals a scarcely disguised contempt for taxpayers' money," Lightbody said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...says-1.2720906

Hmmm, isn't there a senate scanadal where a certain senator is being charged with fraud? He's a "man" - hope we aren't showing favoritisim to Redford because she is a "woman" (i.e. subtle hint by me that she wasn't targetted because of her sex). If there's grounds for a court case here against her, or the PC's (or Redford's staff if they are who she is blaming - although I think the buck lies at the top, she must have known her daughter flew 50 times), I'd like to see it happen.

I wonder if she included the value of the personal benefit from her daughter and nanny flights on her personal income tax return? If I was CRA, I know what I'd be looking at.
    Last edited by moahunter; 29-07-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Poking the photo-bear Moa?

Yep, Redford is in a league of her own, one that few would have the arrogance to enter.

Hancock won't - he's too good a guy and too interim in any event - but the leadership winner needs to tell Redford, and very publicly so - to go away and kick her out of caucus.

Any news on "the slap?"
    ... gobsmacked

^lol, just after I wrote that post, I see an article by WR suggesting a criminal investigation should begin via the RCMP:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1479866/al...igate-redford/

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Any news on "the slap?"
    WTF ?

Did granny allegedly bitchslap somebody during one of her tantrums ?

That would be too funny.

re: the phantom flight bookings.

I'm not sure I follow. Okay, these were GOVERNMENT planes, right? As such, I assume that it's the government which decides who gets to fly in them. So, it's not like Redford was preventing members of the general public from buying tickets on a private airline.

I guess maybe the issue is that making all these fake bookings cost the government more money? But why would Reford need to make bookings anyway, if it's the GOVERNMENT that controls the planes?

Or are these private companies' planes that are reserved for government use, but still reuqire the regular process of booking and reserving seats?

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^lol, just after I wrote that post, I see an article by WR suggesting a criminal investigation should begin via the RCMP:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1479866/al...igate-redford/
    An investigation should be opened by the RCMP. Her whole expense accounts should be looked over. I didn't (and a lot of other people) for one moment buy her statement of being a working mother and she misses her kid and we should all reflect on that. Women work in government and there should be a conversation on it and all bend to my rules, yadda yadda yadda. Cry me a river Alison. You hustled for the job and you were supposedly intelligent enough to know what it entailed. It's called work for a reason. It's not like your kid was 3 months old and you were still breast feeding. If your daughter being a latchkey kid was an issue you husband could of quit work and been a stay at home dad. Oh wait, that would not have worked because you wanted it all. To go to work and be able to take your daughter with you while you went government jet setting.

^^It may be fradulent if it is breaking audited government policy on how the planes are to be filled up. Booking fake people is away around. Governments are still accountable for how they use money / spend our resources, they don't have Carte Blanche.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast