Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Premier Redford to make an announcement at 6pm today.

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    re: the phantom flight bookings.

I'm not sure I follow. Okay, these were GOVERNMENT planes, right? As such, I assume that it's the government which decides who gets to fly in them. So, it's not like Redford was preventing members of the general public from buying tickets on a private airline.

I guess maybe the issue is that making all these fake bookings cost the government more money? But why would Reford need to make bookings anyway, if it's the GOVERNMENT that controls the planes?

Or are these private companies' planes that are reserved for government use, but still reuqire the regular process of booking and reserving seats?
    They planes belong to the PC's. They have owned planes for a number of years now. What Redford would do is commander a government plane for her own 'people'. Her assistants, bag carriers and general ar$e kissers. Let's say it's a Friday afternoon and MLA's are heading back to their ridings for a long weekend of franks, burgers and beer. They would get their assistants to call for a seat on a government plane as they want to get to Calgary. They would be told the government plane was fully booked (with Redford's fake passengers) and have to get another plane or make other arrangements. Redford would do that know doubt because she was high and mighty and her MLA's were below her and she lost no time reminding them of that. She's so important the plane was strictly for her.
    Last edited by Gemini; 29-07-2014 at 11:21 AM.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    re: the phantom flight bookings.

I'm not sure I follow. Okay, these were GOVERNMENT planes, right? As such, I assume that it's the government which decides who gets to fly in them. So, it's not like Redford was preventing members of the general public from buying tickets on a private airline.

I guess maybe the issue is that making all these fake bookings cost the government more money? But why would Reford need to make bookings anyway, if it's the GOVERNMENT that controls the planes?

Or are these private companies' planes that are reserved for government use, but still reuqire the regular process of booking and reserving seats?
    They planes belong to the PC's. They have owned planes for a number of years now. What Redford would do is commander a government plane for her own 'people'. Her assistants, bag carriers and general ar$e kissers. Let's say it's a Friday afternoon and MLA's are heading back to their ridings for a long weekend of franks, burgers and beer. They would get their assistants to call for a seat on a government plane as they want to get to Calgary. They would be told the government plane was fully booked (with Redford's fake passengers) and have to get another plane or make other arrangements. Redford would do that know doubt because she was high and mighty and her MLA's were below her and she lost no time reminding them of that. She's so important the plane was strictly for her.
    Thanks Moa, and especially Gemini.

But Gemini, I think you mean to say that the planes belong to the government, not the PC Party. "One-party state" aside, there is a difference.

In any case, I think the main issue here is the possible waste of money. I can't see many people caring if MLAs and hangers-on, government or otherwise, were denied access to free government transport that no one else gets anyway.

I can't see many people caring if MLAs and hangers-on, government or otherwise, were denied access to free government transport that no one else gets anyway.
    It matters, becausse the government then needs to pay for another flight for their business trip, be it on a commercial airline, or another government flight. That's what the planes are for, government related business, not personal trips. Each fake person booked, costs real cash.

^I think the planes were bought when Ralph was in power. The planes belong to the government and not the P.C's. Whoever is in power gets to use them. Wild Rose has advocated to get rid of them (or some of them). There was a substantial amount of money wasted on those planes when Redford was in power. Let's say she left on Friday night to go home to Calgary. If a couple of her assistants a couple of body guards and her daughter were on board a 12 sitter plane and Redford filled the other 6 seats with invisible friends that means the 4 or 5 other MLA's going to Calgary would have to take another government plane. Or the MLA's flew commercial and expensed it back to the public. If she did that every weekend think of how much money was wasted taking two planes instead of one.

^we are the only province with an air force, it isn't needed, $7.1 million a year of waste, that would pay for a lot of commercial flights.

It's hard to imagine anyone defending this latest scandal in good faith. This is really bad, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Premier Alison Redford’s flights had ‘false passengers,’ auditor general says
    Alberta premier’s staff ‘blocked’ other passengers from government planes

A review by Alberta's auditor general found "false passengers" were booked on at least a dozen government flights, making it possible for then premier Alison Redford to fly alone with her entourage.

Merwan Saher also concluded Redford derived a "personal benefit" by taking her daughter on dozens of government flights. Saher raises the question of whether Redford's desire to take her daughter on out-of-province trips may have influenced the decision to use government aircraft rather than commercial carriers.

These findings are contained in an internal report to the government obtained exclusively by CBC News.

Alison Redford billed taxpayers for $9,200 Palm Springs flight
    Alison Redford flew daughter on dozens of government flights
    Alison Redford's travel expenses to be audited
    University of Alberta political scientist Jim Lightbody said he has never seen anything like the report.

Jim Lightbody, University of Alberta political scientist Jim Lightbody says the auditor general's findings detail a blatant abuse of public resources. (CBC)

"It reveals a scarcely disguised contempt for taxpayers' money," Lightbody said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...says-1.2720906
    This is so cool. We need a thread listing all the various tactics that the powerful can use to screw the common person.

Actually, maybe I'll start one.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    It's hard to imagine anyone defending this latest scandal in good faith. This is really bad, folks.
    Where's EDP when you need him to vent on?

If WR push hard on their promise to get rid of the planes, I think that alone could win them the election this time, even the left are going to have a hard time voting for the PC's (although nothing is impossible - e.g. Liberals who still won in Ontario after they blew $1billion by backing out of a gas power plant to win a swing electorate).
    Last edited by moahunter; 29-07-2014 at 12:59 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    ... Did granny allegedly bitchslap somebody during one of her tantrums ?
    I'm sure it's only a rumour. You know how these things go, smoke, fire and all ...
    ... gobsmacked

Worst premier Alberta, and possibly Canada has ever had.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^we are the only province with an air force, it isn't needed, $7.1 million a year of waste, that would pay for a lot of commercial flights.
    And what commercial flights go to Zama Lake? Is it more cost effect for the premier or minister to drive for 8 hours to get there? And is it more cost effective to fly 10 people from Edmonton to Calgary or to drive? Commercial flights aren't always the cheapest method.

PS: You can check the flight manifests including passenger lists here;
    http://finance.alberta.ca/business/p...ndex.html#2014

When the next ledge sitting commences in September every time Redford sits in the ledge or is seen on T.V. she is going to keep reminding people of just how incompetent this bunch of yahoos are. Hopefully she is in the news often and the noose will get tighter with each passing day. The P.C's are as useless as a one armed paper hanger.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    And what commercial flights go to Zama Lake? Is it more cost effect for the premier or minister to drive for 8 hours to get there? And is it more cost effective to fly 10 people from Edmonton to Calgary or to drive? Commercial flights aren't always the cheapest method.

PS: You can check the flight manifests including passenger lists here;
    http://finance.alberta.ca/business/p...ndex.html#2014
    How many of those flight manifests include Redford's imaginary passengers so she could have the plane to herself and her hand picked maidens.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    And what commercial flights go to Zama Lake?
    How often does that happen? What other provinces do, is they charter a plane from a commercial provider when necessary.

Addicted to C2E

^I think the planes were bought when Ralph was in power. The planes belong to the government and not the P.C's. Whoever is in power gets to use them. Wild Rose has advocated to get rid of them (or some of them).
    The fleet's been there a lot longer than that - From Lougheed's reign or perhaps earlier. Klein was in favour of eliminating the fleet. He was successful in reducing the size of the fleet by a couple of aircraft including a rather nice helicopter.

Their old DC-3 is on display at the Reynolds Museum - is it not? That was upgraded to a Dash-8 in the mid to late 80s.

Yup it is on display there.
    http://www.douglasdc3.com/alberta/alberta.htm

Update time!

RCMP investigate Redford administration

The RCMP’s Serious and Organized Crime Branch is investigating allegations Alberta’s auditor general levelled against former premier Alison Redford and her administration last summer, a source close to the police investigation confirmed Thursday.

The August report from Auditor General Merwan Saher found Redford and her office used taxpayer-funded planes “inappropriately” and for “personal and partisan purposes.”

Saher said government staff did not question these and other travel expenses because Redford’s office exuded an “aura of power.”

“What I can confirm is that we started an investigation toward mid-August, and that’s all I can really tell you. It is under investigation,” the source said.

“As a result of the auditor general’s report, we were asked to look into it, into those expenses that were listed in the in auditor general’s report. We’re doing an investigation now.”

Saher’s report detailed a long list of abuses.

He said government officials consistently failed to document and justify travel decisions, routinely broke rules — like flying business class instead of economy — and dramatically under-reported the cost of international travel by hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Redford used the planes for personal travel at least twice, and her daughter flew often, sometimes without her.

Redford and her ministers used the taxpayer-funded fleet to travel to partisan Progressive Conservative political events.

“Influence is a power that is seen only in its results,” Saher said at the time.

“That’s what I’m really talking about: the ability of someone in an office, at a very senior level, to exert influence.”

The day before the report was released, then-premier Dave Hancock told reporters the RCMP would be asked to investigate, a call reiterated by Justice Minister Jonathan Denis the following day. The RCMP, however, is not beholden to provincial politicians and police never indicated whether the political request had led to a criminal investigation.

Experts said at the time the RCMP are most likely to measure Saher’s allegations against the Criminal Code definitions of fraud and breach of trust, which carry maximum penalties of 10 years and 14 years in prison, respectively.

Charges laid in connection with any investigation are automatically made public. If the investigation does not result in charges, however, the police decide on a case-by-case basis whether to make that information public.
    The problem I have is that this is all being spun as Redford's problem and not a pc party problem. We all know that the party should be answering some questions too but all they've done is point the finger squarely at Redford.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...962/story.html

It will fade away.

As much as what Redford did I think wasn't right, I doubt it was criminal, and even if it was, not on a scale like Ghomeshi, I'd rather the RCMP focus on the likes of him.

^Well, that's an interesting way to run the justice system. A has committed a crime but B may have committed a worse crime. Let's give A a free pass and put all our resources onto B. Hopefully no one absconds with your retirement fund as you may find yourself on the end of that logic.
    As for Redford's escapades. I hope they are not just looking at her holidays/quasi government business trips. They should check out the sky palace paperwork as well.

I'll be surprised if Redford is charged with forgery related to use of gov't plane .
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

^Well, that's an interesting way to run the justice system. A has committed a crime but B may have committed a worse crime. Let's give A a free pass and put all our resources onto B. Hopefully no one absconds with your retirement fund as you may find yourself on the end of that logic.
    Very well put.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

^Well, that's an interesting way to run the justice system. A has committed a crime but B may have committed a worse crime.
    The justice department and the police have to weigh such up all the time, like it or not, they evaluate the likelihood of a prosecution, and the also consider the cost of the investigation versus other projects. I'd rather see the RCMP spend more time investigating missing aboriginal women than conducting a political witch hunt that at most will lead to a handslap.

Hey, let's just ignore all lesser crimes when committed by Calgary Conservatives!
    Let's make Edmonton better.

^Well, that's an interesting way to run the justice system. A has committed a crime but B may have committed a worse crime.
    The justice department and the police have to weigh such up all the time, like it or not, they evaluate the likelihood of a prosecution, and the also consider the cost of the investigation versus other projects. I'd rather see the RCMP spend more time investigating missing aboriginal women than conducting a political witch hunt that at most will lead to a handslap.
    Yes, Redford will get exonerated on the flimsiest of technicalities. We have seen that so many times before when it comes to politicians. The feds have said there is no need to investigate missing aboriginal women. They have done the stats and said that the population of MAW is no greater per aboriginal population than women who are not aboriginal. I tend to believe them on this.

The PM has already said that's no big deal so don't expect a lot of effort on that front.

^it always seems to be that way regardless of the political party, just look at the Mulroney "bribe" affair, or the Chretien adscam. The only ones who do well are the lawyers.

^it always seems to be that way regardless of the political party, just look at the Mulroney "bribe" affair, or the Chretien adscam. The only ones who do well are the lawyers.
    they hired brilliant smooth talk lawyers that got them off

She could face charges for forgery, uttering a forged document, fraud, and breach of trust by a public officer.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...inds-1.2821834

In some countries she would be put in front of a firing squad.
    All this is going to boil down to is some lowly data entry clerk taking the rap. It will be the case of 'some junior member of staff not fully understanding the procedure' or 'we will go forward with better staff training so this does not happen again' or 'the clerical staff have all now been fully versed so that procedures are co-ordinated'. Meanwhile Redford will be sipping mint julep on her porch in Palm Springs not giving a rats az. and Dave Hancock has opened a LensCrafter somewhere.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=dave+...ml%3B650%3B469
    Last edited by Gemini; 05-11-2014 at 02:52 PM.

Mint julep ?

Ho-ly Gems !

Top_Dawg is impressed.

C2E Long Term Contributor

One year later, Alison Redford looks back: ‘I’m a polarizing figure’
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle23546195/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

From your article SDM

In an interview with Gary Mason, Alison Redford speaks out for the first time about the controversies, the caucus revolt – and why she believes
    her gender played a role in her downfall
    As yes, because you're a women sexism and always being a victim go hand in hand when the entitlement stops. Lets ask other female premiers why they still have their jobs years later?

Dummy

I hate when people play the gender/race/religion/etc card when the problem is clearly that they're a raging arsehole.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Damage control. She is just trying to soften her image for posterity. Plays the gender card. Says other officials rode the plane with their wife's but forgets to mention that was always the policy when on government business. Wives but not kids. Says there was behind the scene back stabbing, well it is politics.
    Redford did absolutely nothing to advance women in this province. That was her own fault and no one else's.

Damage control. She is just trying to soften her image for posterity. Plays the gender card. Says other officials rode the plane with their wife's but forgets to mention that was always the policy when on government business. Wives but not kids. Says there was behind the scene back stabbing, well it is politics.
    Redford did absolutely nothing to advance women in this province. That was her own fault and no one else's.
    The policy might have been wrong or unfair in some ways* but instead of trying to change it she ignored it.

* i.e. why wives but not children? The policy may have been made by men who gave no thought whatsoever to the needs of a single mother in a management position or in one requiring travel.

^ I doubt she was the only one. Pull the other one KC, it's got bells on it.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I thought the issue with her daughter being on the plane was that she was the ONLY other person on the plane, and Redford was treating it like her own private plane to shuttle her wherever she wanted to go, even when it was completely personal.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

^That was also part of it. Redford's problem was not just one of being inept it was also a personality problem. Smug, arrogant, unapproachable, my way or the highway. No people skill whatsoever. Then her globetrotting with little results. Padded out her passport and her resume with little to show the taxpayers. She squandered her years in office, no other word for it in my mind.

This was a total puffball piece, done by a non-Alberta-based reporter, for the purpose of rehabilitating Redford's reputation outside the province (i.e. to get her a nice job in Toronto, D.C., or New York). It is full of non-apologies that will satisfy absolutely no one, like this:

“To me it was never about that [living a lavish existence at taxpayers’ expense] and if people didn’t understand that, that’s my fault,” she said. “And I apologize for that.”
    Colby Cosh had a great response piece to the Redford interview here:

The hint at the true purpose of this interview comes late in Gary Mason’s text, when he observes that, “There have not been any job offers or board invitations [for Redford], likely as a result of the way she exited from office.” Albertans just have too much detail about her behaviour memorized. This interview provides a convenient overview of her struggles, in which there is talk about double standards for women, nasty rumours about Redford’s personal life, and inherent difficulties she faced with an entrenched Conservative caucus that did not support her leadership bid.

It all seems very sympathetic and sad, if you don’t look too closely and you didn’t actually live through her tenure as premier of Alberta and you overlooked the way caucus colleagues fell suspiciously silent when she began to be accused of isolation, irascibility and irresponsibility. She can paper-clip the article right onto her resumé and hope that sub-Ivy universities and international NGOs don’t do too much follow-up Googling. Certainly, nobody in Alberta will object to her earning a living somewhere sufficiently far away.

Good riddance, you political dunce.

Polarizing infers positive and negative, in Redford's case the only positive was she resigned. She should be in jail and by extension disbarred.

Hopefully Danielle Smith will be along soon to explain how Redford's self-pitying justifications epitomize the sleaze and entitlement of the PC Party.

Oh yeah, right...

Redford's secondary job with the government was to pad out her own resume. When she left politics I think her goal was to get another cushy assignment with the U.N. I think one of the reasons she went to Washington all the time was to get a 10 second sound bite from Obama himself. That way she could put on her resume that she had 'negotiated' directly with the president on contentious national matters. Also her phony reasons for going to London, Sweden etc. she could pad out her resume by saying 'she travelled the world to further the interest of Canada'. Everything that broad did was to further herself. How's the resume working for you now Alison.

C2E Long Term Contributor
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Thanks SDM.

Okay Alison Redford says she no longer associates with any provincial party. Umm isn't the truth the other way around, no provincial party will associate with her.

5) Whether she feels responsible for the PC party's result in the spring election?

No.
    She might actually be correct about that. Remember, the Tories managed to win three byelections in Calgary and one in Edmonton, AFTER Redford's depsarture. So, her disgrace might have been forgiven by the time the election came around.

Unless maybe there was some sort of delayed reaction to her corruption, possibly compunded by later anger over the Wildrose defection.

Yeah, Top_Dawg would have to say that Jimbo and his cling-ons ***'d that up so spectacularly all by themselves.

Oh Geez, just when you thought it was safe to go home something has to raise is ugly head.
    This broad is fishing for a job somewhere and trying to stay relevant. She wants to write 'policy'. Well, there's a cushy job where you will be magnificently overpaid for sitting in a comfy office somewhere writing crapaknacky that no one is ever going to read anyway. Pick your own hours, even get a cut of cardboard copy of yourself, stick it in the seat and no one would no the difference.

You mean as useless as George Costanza was when he worked for the Yankee's?

Actually there would be a use for her to write policy. Just add a not, no or don't to every sentence she writes and you should have a very good policy.

Example: I think that our party should fly everywhere around the world on the taxpayer's dollar.
    Negative Example: I don't think ...

Alison Redford says NDP government has brought uncertainty to oil industry

Former Premier Alison Redford gave her thoughts on the current state of Alberta's energy industry on CBC's Power & Politics Friday.

She says there is some question about whether the playing field has changed under the province's new NDP government.

"There is some uncertainty in Alberta right now with respect to things like regulatory issues and royalties, and that sort of thing," said Redford.

She says it's going to be a tough time but Albertans are familiar with times of low oil prices.

Redford also said politicians have to be careful in singling out pipeline projects.

"Once political leaders start to abandon one pipeline project, then that opens the door to what's wrong with the rest of them as well," said Redford.

"And so some of the discussion I've seen in the past couple of days about political leaders sort of picking one pipeline and saying, 'But I like that one.' At the end of the day the discussion is not about the technicalities of the construction of a pipeline. It's about the industry, the environmental regulation."
    Meh. Would she just go away?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...stry-1.3176798

The "independent" process through which Alberta chose a legal consortium for a $10-billion lawsuit against the tobacco industry was manipulated, allowing former premier Alison Redford the opportunity to select a consortium with close personal and political ties, a CBC News investigation has found.

Internal Alberta Justice documents obtained exclusively by CBC News show that a week before the legal consortium was personally selected by Redford as the "best choice" to represent Alberta, it had been ranked last of three by an independent review committee and effectively eliminated from consideration.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...tion-1.3331001

Still finding corruption amongst the old guard Provincial Tories. They must have more skeletons than your average cemetery.

C2E SME

There needs to be an inquiry on this. If the CBC article is correct in what happened, people should be going to jail.

^Its ugly, and very bad governance, but unless she personally benefited (e.g. a kickback or similar), likely no law broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    There needs to be an inquiry on this. If the CBC article is correct in what happened, people should be going to jail.
    I'm totally fine with her living on the taxpayer's dime, in prison.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Most of those provincial cons were about as much use as an inflatable dart board. Their whole premise of being MLA's was to further their own agenda. Redford squandered her time as premier. Wasted so much time on herself and not enough actually doing something. Shallow, shallow person. Politically white collar crime usually gets a free pass on anything being done about it. It's too bad really as this particular contract in regards to the tobacco industry was in the billions of dollars.

I commented on this on the Anthony Henday NE thread, they finally removed the Alison Redford Building Alberta signs... now if we could only remove the deficit she created so easily ... perhaps in 20 years.

Alberta launches review of conflict of interest allegations against ex-premier Alison Redford.
    Former Alberta ethics commissioner Neil Wilkinson launched his ethics investigation into Redford after it was revealed the former premier, while justice minister, chose the International Tobacco Recovery Lawyers consortium to represent the province in a $10-billion lawsuit against Big Tobacco.
    Now that ethics investigation will be the focus of a review done by retired Supreme Court justice Frank Iacobucci.
    While Wilkinson cleared Redford in his investigation, Justice Minister Kathleen Ganley said Monday she has heard concerns in recent days that he may not have had all the relevant information.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...alison-redford

^ your addiction to following the comings and goings of Redford is not healthy...

what is it about here specifically that rubs you the wrong way? why not the other terrible politicians?
    be offended! figure out why later...

Not sure if I'd call it an addiction and so far it's not effecting my health. What rubs me the wrong way. She squandered her time as premier, felt she walked on water, wasted taxpayers money on a whole slew of things, tried to flub off tourist trips and holidays as working trips so she could get the taxpayers to pay, flaunted the rules then tried to justify them to suit her adjenda thought she was better, smarter than anyone else, promoted herself constantly, always seemed to be out of town or went out of town during emergencies, acted like a princess instead of a premier. Man the list is endless.

Redford made the fatal mistake of expecting she could act like a PC leader. This behaviour would have been par for the course in any other regime post-Lougheed. Well, perhaps not Stelmach. He made the fatal mistake of going against the party aristocracy and their oil donors.

Interesting to see what turns out, if the auditor didn't have access to all the information then the auditor isn't at fault. As well if there was wrongdoing I hope charges are laid.

Former premier Alison Redford again under investigation over role in province's tobacco lawsuit.

The actions of Alberta’s former premier Alison Redford involving the province’s lawsuit against big tobacco companies will be investigated by British Columbia conflict of interest commissioner Paul Fraser.
    Questions of potential conflict stem from 2010, when Redford appointed a legal consortium, including a law firm her ex-husband works at, as counsel in a $10-billion lawsuit Alberta was launching against tobacco companies to cover health-related costs.
    Redford was cleared by then-ethics commissioner Neil Wilkinson when the matter was investigated in 2013, but a report this spring former Supreme Court justice Frank Iacobucci cited concerns that Wilkinson didn’t have all the relevant information. He recommended Alberta’s ethics commissioner take another look.
    However, there is a potential conflict for the ethics commissioner, so the matter was turned over to Fraser.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...obacco-lawsuit

C2E Continued Contributor

Abuse of power in a political position . Shocker
    live for happiness because without it everything seems ho hum

Quiet return: Portrait of former Alberta premier Alison Redford hung without fanfare

“I have observed that, traditionally, those in political life are inclined to use events such as this unveiling to paint their own picture of how they want to be remembered and what they hope their legacy might be,” she said in a statement issued by the Speaker’s office.
    “I am choosing not to do that.”
    Redford said every picture hanging in the legislature “tells the story of the person in the portrait, shaped by Alberta’s history at the time they served and the context in which that happened.”
    “While the temptation to paint their own pictures and tell their own stories will be hard for some to resist, I instead choose to leave the history of my time in office to be written when time has provided a clearer perspective.
    “As the author Robert Morgan once said: “Distance not only gives nostalgia, but perspective, and maybe objectivity”

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...ithout-fanfare

Alison spins her own romanticised version of her time in office. Looks like the person who painted the portrait did the same.

^where are the Rockies? I can't see the Rockies in the photo. Shouldn't they be visible from the Legislature? Shame.

Looks like she is holding something made of Alberta plaid material.

C2E SME

I look forward to the nostalgia, perspective, and objectivity of a proper investigation in to the massive conflict of interest and potentially illegal actions surrounding the tobacco lawsuit firm selection. That, of anything she did in office, will define her legacy. From what CBC has reported on, it's fairly obvious to me that someone should be going to jail given the massive sums of money involved and the successful attempts to subvert the process.

Her statement is ridiculous wishful thinking. Glad that this portrait unveiling had zero fanfare; she was a terrible premier.

Redford never seemed to grasp that her time in office was an opportunity to serve the public and not an opportunity to help herself. Her constant travel and manipulation of the reasons for travel put the taxpayers on the hook for thousands of dollars. Her over bearing, sour, lofty personality made her unapproachable and cold. She squandered her time in that office playing princess. The barbs that came her way were self inflicted.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234