Thread: Hyundai Genesis Sedan - experiences?

C2E Continued Contributor

Default Hyundai Genesis Sedan - experiences?

I'm considering a 2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan for purchase.
    Does anyone have any experience, background. Etc on this vehicle?
    Reliability appears to be good from what I've read on the Internet.

Thanks.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I am also interested.
    I plan on getting a 2010 or 2011 in December-ish.
    I know they may not compare as favourably against the other vehicles in its class (5-series, audi). But being able to buy a 3yr old luxury sedan with all the bells and whistles for under 20K, that's a pretty sweet deal.

^ I just sold my 2004 Audi A4.

Bought brand new in 2003 for $48,000, spent $11,000 on repairs/maintenance over the last ten years.

It was a nightmare in terms of reliability.

Recently got rid of this POS. No more German cars for me.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Bought brand new in 2003 for $48,000, spent $11,000 on repairs/maintenance over the last ten years.

I don't think $1K/yr on average is anything crazy for repairs/maintenance. Oil changes alone probably run 250-300/yr. Then add in a couple new sets of tires, some brakes, a new windshield, probably a timing belt. AC recharge, coolant and some other fluid flushes. Plus maybe 1-2K in repairs over that time.

I think the early 2000's weren't a great time for quality and reliability from most german makes.

Drove a courtesy Genesis for awhile while my Hyundai was in the shop.

Enjoyable vehicle. Model I had was pretty loaded. Lots of things I don't really need like DVD player, back up camera, gps etc but everything is in there. Decent sound system, Bluetooth etc. Everything working easily.

Some nice touches push button ignition, seats that automatically go back a bit so that when you're getting in you're not crunching yourself to do so. I'm a bit big, and a bit older and was having some back problems so this was great to have.

Handling was nice, didn't ever feel like you're going fast, fuel economy decent, not great. This is a nice vehicle for a roadtrip imo. Really comfortable while driving. Ergonomics pretty good.

One thing though the vehicle is a bit low to the ground, and doesn't seem all that big but I was amazed that it was taking up more footprint in my garage then my SUV. So if space is any issue.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E SME

You shouldn't have bought an Audi, if maintenance costs were a big concern for you. They're well known for being unreliable vehicles. Audi/VW hasn't made quality vehicles for at least 10 years now, yet somehow they still have a reputation for quality. I don't get it.

I've been driving a BMW 3 series for 10 years now (two different ones, a 2001 330xi and now a 2009 335xi), and my maintenance costs have consisted of oil changes (which are more expensive than most cars, but also only required every 25,000 km) and replacing an about to break water pump on the 2001. Otherwise they've been pretty much bullet proof, minus some squeaks and rattles when I first started driving both that the dealers took care of. And a couple recalls on the 2009 (they had tons of problems with fuel pumps for a few years). My brother and his wife drive a couple as well, and they're experiences are pretty much the same. They're good, reliable vehicles, but you shouldn't own one if maintenance costs are going to be a concern, because when something does go wrong it can get pricey. Although if memory serves the water pump was replaced for $400-500 by Eurasia, which didn't seem too ridiculous. Definitely don't service them outside of warranty at the dealership. But that applies to all car makes.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 08-04-2014 at 11:16 AM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

335xi, what a cute little car
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    335xi, what a cute little car
    It would blow the doors off your cute little S2000, in a straight line anyways! Somewhere around a second faster in both 0-60 and quarter mile times.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...specialty-file

Only thing power train wise I don't have out of that package is the intake. And of course I didn't spring for the chassis/suspension work since it's not intended to be a track car and I like my fillings staying in my teeth. So sure you'd probably be faster around the corners. Meh. Meanwhile I can fit 4 people comfortably in the car with luggage in the trunk and skis in a Thule and not a worry in the world on winter roads with AWD.

Yours makes for a great $40,000 go-kart though!
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 08-04-2014 at 03:27 PM.

I was very impressed with the 335 at Stratotech with a capable driver, about .5-1 sec faster on a 70sec track. That engine is a gem.

If I wanted a cute, practical, girl-friend car, I would consider that one to be honest...
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Mine can't drive stick. We tried once for about five minutes, and I was nearly in tears at the horrible things she was doing to it.

lol, I hear yah
    www.decl.org

So...I recently bought a Hyundai Genesis sedan.

Car is pure heaven to drive. love it.
    It's heaven and hell!

Glad to hear Bill. I enjoyed it as well. What year? Brand new?

Careful with the front window btw. They're expensive on the Genesis. Good to know what your deductible on windshield is given that this is rock city in all the wrong ways...
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Glad to hear Bill. I enjoyed it as well. What year? Brand new?

Careful with the front window btw. They're expensive on the Genesis. Good to know what your deductible on windshield is given that this is rock city in all the wrong ways...
    It's a 2011.
    And, thanks for the head's up for the windshield!
    It's heaven and hell!