Thread: Edmonton Motor Show

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Edmonton Motor Show

Just heard some interesting tidbits from CTV's news story:
    1. They claim they are now the 2nd largest auto show in Canada
    2. Top-end manufacturers such as Ferrari and Lamborghini are considering opening dealerships here.

More about the show here:
    http://www.edmontonmotorshow.com/

Any C2Eers going?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Continued Contributor

Yep, going on Sunday. Been a few years since I last went.

Definitely a bit of a surprise that Ferrari and Lamborghini would consider opening dealerships here though.

Not surprised they are thinking about opening up here at all. There is a lot of money here in Edmonton... a lot.

I get there is a lot of money here, just that the population base isn't here...yet anyway, and also our climate. Figured that anyone who really would want that type of car, would make the arrangements to get it from the Vancouver area.

If they are, then I hope they are successful here. One small step towards improving Edmonton's image as a big city.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Here's the news piece.
    http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.1769194

Upon repeated listening, it seems that the executive director is basing his "2nd largest in Canada" claim solely on floor space. A better measurement would be attendance figures.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ Makes sense that it's second since the Expo Centre is also the second largest in Canada.

I like how the event has blossomed since the Expo Centre opened. A perfect example of how much we do depends on what we're enabled to do through our venues.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by lobbdogg View Post
    I get there is a lot of money here, just that the population base isn't here...yet anyway, and also our climate. Figured that anyone who really would want that type of car, would make the arrangements to get it from the Vancouver area.

If they are, then I hope they are successful here. One small step towards improving Edmonton's image as a big city.
    Calgary has a Ferrari dealership. And there's Kulu as well.

Did not know there was a ferrari dealership in Cowtown. Looks like it only opened in 2008. Guess I was still going off old information.

I heard on two broadcasts that we have several #1 dealerships here. Do we deserve more, or can we now achieve more of whatever it takes to attain the top billing "international" event status?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Here's the news piece.

Upon repeated listening, it seems that the executive director is basing his "2nd largest in Canada" claim solely on floor space. A better measurement would be attendance figures.
    Wouldn't it be Auto sales totals? Isn't that the bigger point of a car show?
    I know people go to look, but none of these promoters are here to just have people gawking.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

DSCF0958 by darkmagnoblade, on Flickr

DSCF0960 by darkmagnoblade, on Flickr

DSCF0960 by darkmagnoblade, on Flickr

DSCF0963 by darkmagnoblade, on Flickr

DSCF0965 by darkmagnoblade, on Flickr

DSCF0975 by darkmagnoblade, on Flickr

DSCF0975 by darkmagnoblade, on Flickr

DSCF0984 by darkmagnoblade, on Flickr

DSCF0985 by darkmagnoblade, on Flickr

DSCF0986 by darkmagnoblade, on Flickr

DSCF1004 by darkmagnoblade, on Flickr

DSCF1005 by darkmagnoblade, on Flickr

DSCF1006 by darkmagnoblade, on Flickr

DSCF1007 by darkmagnoblade, on Flickr

DSCF1035 by darkmagnoblade, on Flickr

DSCF1036 by darkmagnoblade, on Flickr

DSCF1037 by darkmagnoblade, on Flickr

DSCF1038 by darkmagnoblade, on Flickr

DSCF1039 by darkmagnoblade, on Flickr

DSCF1040 by darkmagnoblade, on Flickr

DSCF1041 by darkmagnoblade, on Flickr

I love the new look of the 2015 Mustang, the primary reason I'm headed there this weekend. Cool pics. Thanks.

Ya. The mustang and the f1 car were my 2 faves. Also the fact they are using the entire expo center this year makes me happy as well, look out Detroit auto show here we come LOL.

^ I take it you're not into European or Japanese cars?
    Let's make Edmonton better.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Here's the news piece.

Wouldn't it be Auto sales totals? Isn't that the bigger point of a car show?
    I know people go to look, but none of these promoters are here to just have people gawking.
    The more people gawk, the more potential auto/after-market sales.

The grand daddy motor show in North America is the Detroit Motor Show. All other regional motor shows (Edmonton, Calgary) pales in comparison but the object is the same. It is an orgy of vehicle manufacturers showing off their new, shiny toys. In Detroit, the game is to one-up the competition by showcasing the latest auto technology and "concept" vehicles. The Edmonton show is the same but in a much much smaller scale. The more buzz a company creates the more business it will attract.

I am not a car guy but talking to a few auto enthusiasts, they say it is best to hit the motor show early because if you go in the afternoon it is difficult to get up close to the displays ( p.s. Great pics, Magnoblade).

As KC mentioned in an earlier post, Edmonton dealerships are tops in the country for sales. So you can reason that if there is awesome attendance for the Edmonton car show, manufacturers will put their best pedal forward to sell the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    ^ I take it you're not into European or Japanese cars?
    He did take pics at the Mini and Infiniti booths..

Lol, this kiddo has about as much love for foreign makers as he does for proper grammar.. I love what his definition of "exotics" are.