Thread: Girls make higher grades than boys in all school subjects

Default Girls make higher grades than boys in all school subjects

Interesting. As the old male bias disappears and merit drives employee selection you can see the 'overtaking' of women in more and more traditionally male roles.

Girls make higher grades than boys in all school subjects, analysis finds
    excerpt:

"Despite the stereotype that boys do better in math and science, girls have made higher grades than boys throughout their school years for nearly a century, according to a new analysis published by the American Psychological Association."
    "... As for why girls perform better in school than boys, the authors speculated that social and cultural factors could be among several possible explanations. Parents may..."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0429104957.htm
    Date: April 29, 2014, Source: American Psychological Association (APA)

I'd rather C2E than work!

The significant point is that female grades have always been higher despite the employment differences once school done. Hopefully as a society we'll continue to even things up to the point where opportunity and income even out across genders.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

There was a lot of in-depth analysis of the study and supporting studies, and the conclusion is this:

The majority of teachers are female. Female teachers have a bias towards grading female students better. Male teachers do not display the same bias. A significant reason why females get better grades is directly attributed to baised female teachers.

There's a massive bias in the educational field.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'd rather C2E than work!

There are massive biases in all areas of life with regards to gender, ethnicity, religion, etc. The difficult part is recognizing them and correcting for them as best we can.

In this case while there may be a female bias in grade school by the time people reach post secondary it swings in different directions.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...hy-it-matters/

http://www.npr.org/2014/04/22/305814...ulty-mentoring

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    The significant point is that female grades have always been higher despite the employment differences once school done. Hopefully as a society we'll continue to even things up to the point where opportunity and income even out across genders.
    I think its a big assumption though that women on average have the same expectations of work as men. In every job I have worked there have been senior career driven women, including many with families. But not every women wants to be like that, not every man does either. I think child rearing, for whatever reason, seems to have a bigger influence on women, and is more likely to make them prioritize family ahead of career, and a more likely to be unwilling to work weekends or overtime to drive to those higher career positions which will almost always be more demanding on personal life. That's not necessarily a bad thing. And no, most of us can't be good at everything, so it becomes a bit of a priority choice.

I am also not a huge believer that school grades necessarily correlate to work performance. Some of the larger accounting firms now are intentionally not selecting straight A students, because they want a bigger social mix and more diversity.
    Last edited by moahunter; 15-03-2016 at 07:52 AM.