Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 901 to 1,000 of 1050

Thread: Stanley Milner Library Exterior Redesign

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Looks like the entire building is prepped and they're ready to install the actual end product, of which a small section is visible near the swooping front/side. So contrary to the popular belief earlier in this thread, it is not essentially a standing seam roof. I'm looking forward to having a full side done so we can get a real understanding of what the finished product will look like rather than the constant barrage of negativity that this thread has turned into.
    i'm pretty sure the vertical "board and batten" is the finished zinc cladding and the small section you're looking at is still to be covered... you can see some of that sequencing in IanO's photos in post 804.

the window caps and flashings and mulions all look complete until you get to that point as well.

the south side and then wrapping north on the east and west elevations is, as near as i can tell, the "full side done" you're looking for. the fact you think it still looks like a building prepped and ready for the actual end product speaks volumes.
    Last edited by kcantor; 06-11-2018 at 01:56 PM.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I'd rather C2E than work!

Maybe it's the angle, but that section does not look like what was installed below everything else to me.

I just had a sneak peak at the new Capilano branch (opens in 2 days), and I asked one of the communications people there about the Milner exterior. She said that there's only a small patch of the exterior that's done with the finished product (I don't think it's zinc, she used a different name). Most of what you see is not the finished product. I also mentioned to her about this thread.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

In all honest, it is irrelevant how the lipstick is applied to the pig. The design conception is wrong from the very start; on top of which, the architect firm- which we paid for their services- stole the design from a local.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I just had a sneak peak at the new Capilano branch (opens in 2 days), and I asked one of the communications people there about the Milner exterior. She said that there's only a small patch of the exterior that's done with the finished product (I don't think it's zinc, she used a different name). Most of what you see is not the finished product. I also mentioned to her about this thread.
    there might be "only a small patch" on the front but what looks like finished "board and batten" material on site as shown in the above photos looks pretty close to the finished material shown on their own web-site:

Looks like the entire building is prepped and they're ready to install the actual end product, of which a small section is visible near the swooping front/side. So contrary to the popular belief earlier in this thread, it is not essentially a standing seam roof. I'm looking forward to having a full side done so we can get a real understanding of what the finished product will look like rather than the constant barrage of negativity that this thread has turned into.
    I agree. We know little with any certainty of its final appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Just saw you on global can i have your autograph now lol

I took a stroll past after work and it appears Ken is right. I had it backwards. It's still not as bad as some here are making it out to be, but not what we were sold in the renderings.

I took a stroll past after work and it appears Ken is right. I had it backwards. It's still not as bad as some here are making it out to be, but not what we were sold in the renderings.
    Never are. Those are just slick marketing devices used by sleazy salesmen and the sleazy committees seeking approval.

C2E SME

Some kind of siding is going up (top right).
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    The interiors and function of the revised Milner will be fantastic... and I will hold my comments on the exterior until it is complete, but I am not thrilled at the moment.
    I heard from someone else today that the interior is very nice.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

The interiors and function of the revised Milner will be fantastic... and I will hold my comments on the exterior until it is complete, but I am not thrilled at the moment.

emphasis added...

isnt that a comment?

One good thing about it is this, city council will have to stare at this juggernaut on a daily dosage.

Off topic, does anyone know what is happening at the fountain pool at city hall?

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    One good thing about it is this, city council will have to stare at this juggernaut on a daily dosage.

Off topic, does anyone know what is happening at the fountain pool at city hall?
    City Council decided it did not want a knee deep ďpoolĒ and wanted to get rid of the children out of front. So itís a foot splash area - kids need to go to the Legislature for fun. Such a bother those future voters are for the bureaucrats.

I’ve wondered if the roof angles will create any interesting reflections of sunlight. (High daytime sun in summer might reflect northward a bit after a rain, moisture or frost and possibly even snow could add to its refectiveness.)

via: https://twitter.com/thebinster/status/1064740189451444224

Liking the windows, but those beams make it look like a pedway!
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post

emphasis added...

isnt that a comment?
    I won’t comment on whether or not it’s a comment even though, at the moment it sounds like it.

Yep, not an attractive feature to have beams right in front of the windows to obscure them.

C2E SME

True, but I guess question is if those beams had to be there?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

^ Probably had needed to be, not a great look none the less.

They were either there originally, or added to support the false front.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by K364 View Post
    They were either there originally, or added to support the false front.
    either way, with the angled non-continuous windows prevalent elsewhere, youíd think they could have done a better job hiding them/incorporating them in the wall construction...

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Liking the windows, but those beams make it look like a pedway!
    That’s what it is isn’t it? Outer wall walkway.

They may become a non issue as other interior pieces and furnishings are put into place. Like most buildings, people will normally be looking inwards and only periodically looking outwards.

Also one needs to view the angled beams against the backdrop of the the angles on City Hall with its pyramidal roof. (Same goes for the angled windows - cladding on the exterior).

Now, if I were designing the re-cladding I might have instead mirrored the overall look of City Hall. Vertical front topped (maybe some similar pillars) with a backset sloped roof angled to match the angles on City Hall’s glass roof. Maybe steel with glass or glassed balconies inset into a copycat (aka “sympathetic complementary” hahaha ) pyramidal “form” ( aka shape). Possibly not peaked unless something could be used in the peak beside hearing cooling equipment, such as a conference room, meeting space, display area for events. Matching roof angles might have been tricky depending on distances the tower was from the streets on the east and west sides. In fact, the north face wall could have been mirrored to reflect back City Hall and Churchill Square.
    Last edited by KC; 21-11-2018 at 06:41 AM.

Did anyone figure out if that south-side cladding is final? I've seen some material on top of the west side so it might not be done yet. Here's hoping.

C2E Continued Contributor

Are you taking about the corrugated material? Iím almost 100 percent certain thatís not the final cladding because they said it would be a zinc exterior.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Are you taking about the corrugated material? Iím almost 100 percent certain thatís not the final cladding because they said it would be a zinc exterior.
    yeah the upper grey material. Post #899 shows it well. Looks like they could fit something in between the sides maybe but I'm no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmontonian108 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    yeah the upper grey material. Post #899 shows it well. Looks like they could fit something in between the sides maybe but I'm no expert.
    Yeah they usually use corrugated material underneath a final exterior cladding on buildings like this to help strengthen and reinforce it with added incentive of flexibility.

I doubt theyíre gonna leave it looking like a Quonset.

Fascinating that here with a public building, interested citizens can’t determine even such basics as the final cladding on the project. “You get what you get and you don’t get upset.”

Listened to part of this interview. Interesting. Mentions Fahrenheit 451, Carnegie’s donations of library buildings as long as the community promised support...

Susan Orlean on loving libraries — and burning books | CBC Radio

Listen to the full episode

In her new book, bestselling writer Susan Orlean moves from the intimacy of her childhood library to the devastating fire at the Los Angeles Central Library, which damaged or destroyed more than a million books. The Library Book is a compelling mix of history, biography, true crime and journalism — an ode to libraries, as well as a celebration of Orlean's relationship with her mother, who died before Orlean could finish writing the book.

It's Orlean's natural curiosity that makes her work so distinctive. From Rolling Stone to Vogue to The New Yorker — where she's been a staff writer for more than 25 years — she's earned a reputation for surprising...”

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/writersandc...ooks-1.4917820

Last edited by KC; 25-11-2018 at 06:22 PM.

C2E Long Term Contributor
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Oh look, they're putting lipstick on a pig.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

maybe if it were buried in a mountain so the outside was not visible...

Finished cladding is definitely that raised seam Grey barn siding. It comes with peel off plastic protection. Too bad.

Soon to be nicknamed "The Silo"
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Soon to be nicknamed "The Silo"
    Huh? Tall and cylindrical?

Easier to say than, "The grain bin"

Remember what was...

Edmonton's first public library building.

In the distance is the MacDonald Hotel and the box that it came with...
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 27-11-2018 at 07:28 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

What I do not get is that our many years working on winter city design guidelines suggesting warmer materials, not grey, and not metal seem to have been less than adhered to in this case.
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

What I do not get is that our many years working on winter city design guidelines suggesting warmer materials, not grey, and not metal seem to have been less than adhered to in this case.
    i thought you were going to reserve comment until it was done?

i thought you were going to reserve comment until it was done?
    Ohhh its done alright

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    Finished cladding is definitely that raised seam Grey barn siding. It comes with peel off plastic protection. Too bad.
    Materials shouldn’t be typecast like that. Standing seam can be a great product and you’ll rarely see it on a barn. It’s like spruce vs walnut or cherry. Both the application and the value can vary dramatically with dramatically different appearances depending on how it’s applied.

Then there’s the quality of the product itself. I have two boathouses both roofed with standing seam metal. Neither even needed sheathing under the metal. Now zinc, copper or aluminum might be a far, far higher priced type of material that they could have used. Great looking but soft so all might be fine until a hail storm pounds the life out of them and dents the shingles or panels all to hell.

The exterior would have been nicer, with the same material, if only they installed it with random widths of standing seam.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

https://www.architectural-review.com...cmcyejlXIn0%3D

"At all scales, varying in scope from nation to town, the public library is being framed globally as an emblem of hope and a symbol of cultural establishment. Recurring references demonstrate a shift from the pragmatic concerns of capacity that dominated the design agenda of the 1960s and economic preoccupations of the early public library movement. It is clearly the symbolic value of enabling the physical browsing of books that is celebrated today."

i am still hopeful for the interiors although that may have to continue to come from library operations and not its architecture.

Coloured glass is now up on the north elevation.
    www.decl.org

https://www.architectural-review.com...cmcyejlXIn0%3D

"At all scales, varying in scope from nation to town, the public library is being framed globally as an emblem of hope and a symbol of cultural establishment. Recurring references demonstrate a shift from the pragmatic concerns of capacity that dominated the design agenda of the 1960s and economic preoccupations of the early public library movement. It is clearly the symbolic value of enabling the physical browsing of books that is celebrated today."

i am still hopeful for the interiors although that may have to continue to come from library operations and not its architecture.

On designing around library operations, I was astounded to learn that Frank Lloyd Wright designed poorly functioning but aesthetically pleasing furniture for his clients and required that they take it with the house. What a *****.

The tyranny of living in Frank Lloyd Wright style | housesandbooks

“As my husband and I looked at the photos together we both were struck by how many homeowners have filled their Wright houses with Wright-inspired furniture and light fixtures. “I like Wright’s architecture for the most part,” said my husband, “but I would never want to have one of those painful-looking chairs in my own house.”

Bear in mind that many of the original owners back in Wright’s day eventually jettisoned his difficult furniture because it was so unfriendly to ordinary human usage. The easy answer is that because Wright designed the houses and their furnishings as a package deal, owners today are simply seeking to restore authenticity. But I seriously doubt that these owners have restored the bathrooms and the kitchens to their original Victorian status, because to do so would be to forego modern convenience and expectations of comfort. Following that logic, if you insist on modern plumbing and a modern kitchen in your historic Frank Lloyd Wright home, then why not insist on an interior filled with modern furniture that actually feels good to sit on? A house should not be a stylistic prison, after all. ...

https://housesandbooks.wordpress.com...-wright-style/

The flaws in Frank Lloyd Wright's design for living - The Boston Globe

So perhaps we should think of Wright's residential architecture not in terms of how people ordinarily live, but as sacred spaces for transcendentalist soul-making. If you think that houses should correct people's materialistic desires, then maybe Wright was right after all. But if you believe that home is where, for better or worse, you may freely indulge your own idiosyncrasies and you'd rather not be morally bullied by your house, you would probably prefer a less demanding abode.

...”

http://archive.boston.com/ae/theater...gn_for_living/

Living in a Work of Art Isn’t Wright for Everyone

Especially not warm, since Wright was a creative architect but a terrible engineer.

Clients loved to show off their homes but found the austere wooden furniture - sometimes secured in place and difficult to move - as uncomfortable as park benches.

Floor-to-ceiling windows let in drafts. And worst of all, most of the roofs leaked.

Some of Wright’s customers put up with it all as a sacrifice for the sake of art and design.

Mildred Rosenbaum in Florence, Alabama, whose low-slung Frank Lloyd Wright house stood out starkly on a street full of typical white-columned mansions in that Deep South city, admitted that her family sometimes grew tired of living in an architectural laboratory in which so many tables and chairs and beds were bolted down. ...”

https://www.voanews.com/a/living-in-...e/1519434.html

Bolding mine
    Last edited by KC; 26-12-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Coloured glass is now up on the north elevation.

This building just looks wrong...my gawd.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
    Why's that?

IanO, thanks for posting the photo!

Interesting that the cladding (or is it a sub-layer) on this side looks to have a silver / galvanized look to it.

As an aside, I know other buildings downtown have sloped metal roofs so my early postings of concern about avalanches didn’t seem valid. However, I do note in the photo that some snow fall seems to have slid downward. I would assume that that risk to street level pedestrians has, or will be addressed. (Or the risk of a few tonnes of snow and ice crashing down vertically orientated, at speed, on a lower roof.)
    Last edited by KC; 27-12-2018 at 10:05 AM.

www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^

still ugly...

some if those proportions and transitions and selected shapes are just strange.

on the other hand, i never thought i would see a picture of canada place with another building in it that would make it look graceful and well proportioned.

^

still ugly...

on the other hand, i never thought i would see a picture of canada place with another building in it that would make it look graceful and well proportioned.

lol..........

I try to stay positive, but..........this is going to be one ugly oversized building. Do not understand how our city could have approved this.

I always thought it was ugly, the inside will be great though

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I try to stay positive, but..........this is going to be one ugly oversized building. Do not understand how our city could have approved this.
    Don't judge a book by its cover... 😉

^

still ugly...

The biggest problem I have with Canada Place is that it's unfinished and will probably never be finished.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    ^

still ugly...

The biggest problem I have with Canada Place is that it's unfinished and will probably never be finished.

Is it really a problem lol.
    Last edited by Black Star; 05-01-2019 at 04:43 PM.

A problem? No. Does it make the entire building look unfinished? Yes, it does. Meanwhile, the government continues to rent space in other buildings.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by MDH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Don't judge a book by its cover... 
    weíre not judging a book by its cover, just the cover.

Touche. ..

Yeah this is the “Real Estate and Development” forum thread. Not a program and operating / services thread.

However, does much of this discussion more appropriately belong in the Architecture and Design thread.

Architecture and Design
    Use this forum to read, comment on and suggest your own ideas and concepts about design and architecture – and what works best, and worst, in the Edmonton environment, practically and philosophically.

Real-Estate & Development
    This forum looks at specific real estate projects and developments - past, present, and future - in the Edmonton area. Here’s where to look for updates on developments, read about new projects, suggest improvements to buildings or other projects.

Last edited by KC; 06-01-2019 at 07:52 AM.

Who cares?

KC cannot see what he himself posted.
    Real-Estate & DevelopmentThis forum looks at specific real estate projects and developments - past, present, and future - in the Edmonton area. Here’s where to look for updates on developments, read about new projects, suggest improvements to buildings or other projects.
    The library certainly could use suggestions to improve the looks of this gastly renovation in Deconstructivism Tin Shackery...

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

A problem? No. Does it make the entire building look unfinished? Yes, it does. Meanwhile, the government continues to rent space in other buildings.
    The govt doesnít even own the building. If the space was there, it would be rented.

Yes, probably to the government. For the reason that they built Canada Place in the first place, to keep the various government offices close to each other.

But, it's a very Edmonton "let's do things halfway and call it good enough" sort of thing.

Yes, probably to the government. For the reason that they built Canada Place in the first place, to keep the various government offices close to each other.

But, it's a very Edmonton "let's do things halfway and call it good enough" sort of thing.
    It's who's responsibility in Edmonton to dictate how the GoC loses space exactly?

It's not but it's typical of things here. For example, look at Canada Place in Vancouver, notice how unfinished it looks? Oh right, it isn't.

OEG knows it as well and they are willing to put forward an unfinished plaza unless they city pony up more money. "Remember thaose rendering os all the stuff going on in Oiler's Plaza? Well, it's gonna cost you."

Even going back into the 1970's with the first bike routes that ended up with unconnected sections. It's just something that is intrinsic to Edmonton.
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 06-01-2019 at 08:09 PM.

It's not but it's typical of things here. For example, look at Canada Place in Vancouver, notice how unfinished it looks? Oh right, it isn't.

OEG knows it as well and they are willing to put forward an unfinished plaza unless they city pony up more money. "Remember thaose rendering os all the stuff going on in Oiler's Plaza? Well, it's gonna cost you."

Even going back into the 1970's with the first bike routes that ended up with unconnected sections. It's just something that is intrinsic to Edmonton.
    What's you address? I will send you a back brace, cause you must be awful sore carrying around that huge chip.

Canada Place in Vancouver is a convention centre and venue...
    Every City has things that didn't go as originally planned out... I mean look at the Vancouver Seawall and their City Hall. The interior of this building will hopefully be almost as good as the Calgary one or some of the newer branches in the City. Fulton Ravine / Capilano branch is really nice.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

I walked around the perimeter of the library today and albeit I donít think itís going to get on the front page of architecture magazines, I feel it doesnít have the awful street presence that I was expecting.

I still think rebuilding from the ground up was the right thing to do, but I also encourage people to walk down to Churchill and get an in person loom to make their call. I didnít mind what I saw.

^ that is always the sense I get when I'm around that area. I actually don't mind it so far. We'll see what the finished product looks like.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

C2E SME

One thing that will help this building is that there will be two entrances, and especially that there will be an entrance facing the plaza south of the building.

During the day a lot will depend on how the light reflects off the building's exterior and the color and shading that it creates. At night it will benefit from the light and activity emanating from the windows. For some reason I had a dream recently where the exterior was corrugated aluminum which obviously didn't look too good.

I am rather disappointed that it won't have the entrance way and the extensive use of glass depicted from this rendering. This had a very inviting presence.

Last edited by norwoodguy; 07-02-2019 at 08:55 PM.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Indeed. Itís too bad we are getting what we are getting instead of that. Itís still not a 10/10 but itís a solid 8 instead of the 6 we are getting. Oh well.

C2E SME

Well the glass above the entrance isn't there but the entrance is still going to be the same for the most part as in this render.

^The power of the entranceway from the rendering is the pseudo archway that the large expanse of glass creates, in essence what appears to be a "natural" portal.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    KC cannot see what he himself posted.
    Real-Estate & DevelopmentThis forum looks at specific real estate projects and developments - past, present, and future - in the Edmonton area. Here’s where to look for updates on developments, read about new projects, suggest improvements to buildings or other projects.
    The library certainly could use suggestions to improve the looks of this gastly renovation in Deconstructivism Tin Shackery...
    I’m saying that this ship has sailed. We get what we get, whether we get upset or not. Speaking of which, any photo updates on what we’ll be getting? Any last minute “transformative” cladding being applied over the battleship grey?

So, I’m not posting under architecture and design because we lack an appropriate thread on successful re-dos of existing buildings.

We do have some good material now on unsuccessful re-dos for some great conceptual debates.
    Last edited by KC; 19-02-2019 at 04:50 PM.

SIGH....!

The “construction” people sure liked it:

Stanley A. Milner Library rising to become a showcase structure

JOC News Service May 25, 2018

https://canada.constructconnect.com/...case-structure

I know, I know, we all need to wait for the project to be finished to pass judgement, but it's pretty obvious to many of its outcome. Now, I'm just wondering how many years until the next reclad and whether I'll live that long to see that, lol.

It won't be a disaster but a major fail in vission.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post

I'm being facetious. Will reserve final judgment for the grand opening. My hope is that the exterior does present itself better than a typical industrial or farm outbuilding. Perhaps designers / planners fully expected the perception problems this type of facade would garner. I could be wrong about the final exterior. I hope that I am.

I see the former rectangle shape; i see the stealthy angles; and I definitely see the corrugated resembled metal works. All that is missing is windows; otherwise, it is a vague example.

We must not judge a book by its cover - but if you deface one...

Also I see that they updated the website - with words only.

Imagine Milner | Edmonton Public Library
    https://www.epl.ca/about-the-stanley...evitalization/

For Feb. 14: Heart shaped books! Innovative design! Imagine that!

https://i0.wp.com/www.ibookbinding.c...9s-2.jpg?ssl=1
    Last edited by KC; 13-03-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Post#389
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEEnon View Post
    New renders & information available:

http://www.epl.ca/about-the-stanley-...evitalization/
    http://www.epl.ca/milner-is-moving/

(More photos available at the links above)

Post#404
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    This new rendering is disgusting. Please fire the person that came up with this and hire someone more capable of creating something nice.
    I think it's pretty cool looking. It has that stealth navy destroyer look to it. A bit of a snow drift look I suppose but I still see stealthiness.

http://www.defensasur.com.ar/imagene...20Stealth3.jpg
    I think that if not stealth, it still has potential for that cool armoured-fortress-of-a-dystopian-future look. Not many cities outside of a few in Russia and North Korea will be able to claim to have this rare architectural form.

I am very pleased that those in City Hall will get a chance to look at the final product - every single day.
    Last edited by KC; 13-03-2019 at 07:29 PM.

Rare architecture? It was a stolen concept from right across Churchill. More like uninspired and uncreative if you ask me. For this brain fart of an effort in design, how much did it cost us?

^Thankfully this is one of the cheaper city screw ups lately.

Rare architecture? It was a stolen concept from right across Churchill. More like uninspired and uncreative if you ask me. For this brain fart of an effort in design, how much did it cost us?
    Totally accurate. This building will look incredibly cheap, with very little thought put into it. Shape wise, great, materials, atrocious.

C2E SME

I wonder how long before the windows are covered when all the creeps start looking in.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Post#389

I think that if not stealth, it still has potential for that cool armoured-fortress-of-a-dystopian-future look. Not many cities outside of a few in Russia and North Korea will be able to claim to have this rare architectural form.

I am very pleased that those in City Hall will get a chance to look at the final product - every single day.
    - - - just went right over...

Cant believe no one has posted some pictures of the library construction progress of the cladding.
    Quite like the design they did for a simple student service centre in the USA but the design here is so subpar: http://www.teeplearch.com/portfolio/...rvices-center/
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 14-03-2019 at 04:49 PM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Cant believe no one has posted some pictures of the library construction progress of the cladding.
    Quite like the design they did for a simple student service centre in the USA but the design here is so subpar: http://www.teeplearch.com/portfolio/...rvices-center/
    posts 899, 946, 950...

posts 899, 946, 950...
    Seeing 899 makes me want to commit seppuku.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magnus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
    Why's that?
    Buildings all over the country use metal panels that somewhat mimic stone blocks. Standing seam panels create a completely different look.

If anything standing seam mimics board and batten. That can also be fine. A lot of now long gone buildings used to use long boards as roofing. (Shingles and slate were unavailable.) Actually even some large long lasting indigenous structures used boards.)

Colour is also very important when using what are traditionally see as industrial materials. (Which can cost far more than seemingly more expensive materials.) In my mind what appears to be a plan for 100% grey was a very risk choice.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Post#389

No, i didnt missed his sarcasm; hewent for the polite route, and I just spout the honest thought in my head. I don't care to chase around the bush. A as an artist, I wouldn't appreciate my work be devalued in such a manner. Dub was inspired from many elements of Alberta when the city hall was redesigned and built in the mid 80s, so I'm curious what this firm's inspiration point was that lead to an almost mirrorred structure as City Hall?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Post#389

No, i didnt missed his sarcasm; hewent for the polite route, and I just spout the honest thought in my head. I don't care to chase around the bush. A as an artist, I wouldn't appreciate my work be devalued in such a manner. Dub was inspired from many elements of Alberta when the city hall was redesigned and built in the mid 80s, so I'm curious what this firm's inspiration point was that lead to an almost mirrorred structure as City Hall?
    Iím still hopeful for an interesting finished product. At the same time Iím somewhat unable to envision a dramatic change from what Iím seeing now. It wonít be the first time that Iíve disliked a work in progress and loved the end product. (I fear budgets and costing was behind what seems to be a downgrade in design.)

As for it being a mirror image of the City Hall, that may be the end result but I saw it more as an evolution/devolution from the earlier sketches which were quite interesting and not much like a pyramid on a podium. One, my favourite, looked - to me - like the layering of windsweep snow as it drifts.

For some bizarre to me reason, the current product reminds me of our Gateway to the North / northern exploration / industrial heritage. Maybe itís an old Aircraft Repair / NWI building(s) that my mind is connecting it to. Or some other lost building. The diagonal windows on the side look VERY familiar to me but I sure canít pin down where Iíve seen that look.

The back (please excuse the crappy phone shot):

ďSon, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmontonís skyline.Ē

Pretty underwheming....

just underwhelming. 'Pretty' need not apply..

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast