Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 1,001 to 1,018 of 1018

Thread: Stanley Milner Library Exterior Redesign

I'd rather C2E than work!

Looks like prefab on a building at a gas plant site. I canít believe that is smack dab in the centre of the City and itís a public building ... 20 lashes for the designer and Library staff and board that approved this crap.

But it was a lot cheaper than the one in Calgary! That's what's important, right? Doing it as cheaply as possible?

Albiansands oil sight structures for their administration are way better cladded than this. Two Hugh building built out of no where north of Fort Mac. I was actually downtown 4 days ago, after arriving into the city late Saturday, and sawe this in person. I just don't know how to explain my embarrassment or dissapointment. What a discusting effort and imaginstion from what I saw- architect firm speaking.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Itís ugly. Full stop. Iíd take the ROMís crystal addition over this crap.

On the up side because itís the colour of a movie screen maybe that can just project a nice looking building over top this poor excuse for modern architecture.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; Yesterday at 12:12 AM.

Unfortunate outcome.

C2E SME

Functionality hopefully will make up for its look.

Maybe we can clad the cladding.

Milner Live Cam | Edmonton Public Library
    https://www.epl.ca/milner-live-cam/
    Last edited by KC; Today at 12:32 AM.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Too bad that stuff lasts forever.

Im more depressed now. I want that uprooted and transplant that here. Wow... wicket imagination and touch!

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post

Im more depressed now. I want that uprooted and transplant that here. Wow... wicket imagination and touch!
    Just a cool looking bunker. However it shows what can be done. Give any kid some playdoh and theyíd soon come up with some neat looking blocks.

A cold and bleak design in brutalist sheet metal architecture. Cold, cold, cold grey.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...stanley-milner

What we were sold

JamesL

Looks roughly the same, but better

Cornell Roofing and Sheet Metal Company
    https://www.cornellroofing.com/
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    A cold and bleak design in brutalist sheet metal architecture. Cold, cold, cold grey.

With all due respect to the photogs at The Journal that has to be one of the worst photographs ever posted here both in terms of composition and (especially) execution. I'm sure even I could do a better job with my phone. I'm not a fan of this building but this photograph seems like sabotage.

Not the greatest photo nor time of the day to shoot this object since it has shadows casted from most directions which definitely will hinder and obscure details. Nevertheless, that might sooth the dissapointment somewhat; a softer blow if you want to call it that.

Nothing like taking a picture of a building where the main entrance is obscured by a building in front of it, and one of the huge cantilevered architectural pieces is blocked by trees. It's almost like they intentionally went looking for a terrible angle.

Sorry that you feel that the only way to look at the $85M renovation of the building must be in a 'picture perfect' angle at the exact right time of day and properly photoshopped.

Is there a bylaw that enforces your rule?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Yeah, because nobody will ever stand in front of city hall or in Churchill Square and look at the library.

Maybe we just need to cover it with tarps.

Quote Originally Posted by OffWhyte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post

With all due respect to the photogs at The Journal that has to be one of the worst photographs ever posted here both in terms of composition and (especially) execution. I'm sure even I could do a better job with my phone. I'm not a fan of this building but this photograph seems like sabotage.
    Itís ok in the kids area the library staff can recount the tail of how the giant climbed down the beanstalk and accidentally sat on the library.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Not the greatest photo nor time of the day to shoot this object since it has shadows casted from most directions which definitely will hinder and obscure details. Nevertheless, that might sooth the dissapointment somewhat; a softer blow if you want to call it that.
    a softer blow? i'm not sure that iconic buildings - or even buildings worth looking at - are only worth looking at at certain times of the day... it's main entrance is on the north side and our main civic square is north of that. this is the view most people are going to experience. On the other hand, once the tree canopies leaf out much of what is so hard to look at will be harder to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Nothing like taking a picture of a building where the main entrance is obscured by a building in front of it, and one of the huge cantilevered architectural pieces is blocked by trees. It's almost like they intentionally went looking for a terrible angle.
    i suppose that's one way to look at it. another might be not to locate the main entrance where it would be obscured by a building in front of it or spend multi millions of limited budget creating huge cantilevered architectural pieces that will be blocked by trees. it isn't the photographer that intentionally looked for terrible angles as much as the design which created those terrible angles.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011