Thread: FC Edmonton

C2E Continued Contributor

Default FC Edmonton

Amazing game last night. This is going to be a good team.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/fc-e...goal-1.2635711

That 17 year old Boakai is amazing....future star for sure!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Didn't get to see the match last night, but I am sure he won't stick around long if he is anything close to star.

That's just part of being a team in a lower league... I hope he finds success with the National Team. But of course not before helping the Eddies win some hardware right here!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

FC Edmonton has zero wins in league play and has scored 2 goals in 4GP. After only scoring an abysmal worst in league 26goals in 26games last season. For the last 3yrs this has been one of the worst clubs in the league and not even remotely competitive.

I've gone to a lot of games and a supporter of the club from day one but "hardware"

lol, I'd be happy with a NASL win in any game.

Maybe they'll be good this year, haven't looked it in any of the league games.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'm a season ticket holder. Big win last night. Boakai has been outstanding in the last two games. If he keeps this up the rest of the year I could see him moving on. It would be great if the Eddies could get a transfer fee for him.

I'm really disappointed in the "soccer fans" of this city who don't come out and support their local team but will be all too happy to have some national team flag hanging from their car during the world cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
    I'm a season ticket holder. Big win last night. Boakai has been outstanding in the last two games. If he keeps this up the rest of the year I could see him moving on. It would be great if the Eddies could get a transfer fee for him.

I'm really disappointed in the "soccer fans" of this city who don't come out and support their local team but will be all too happy to have some national team flag hanging from their car during the world cup.
    I attended this club for 3 years including the exhibition season. In past years here I was the one starting this thread and exhorting others to show some interest. Lost some of the interest last couple years due to a deplorable product and facility. Also due to the abject confusion that had resulted from the move to Clarke.

I'm a game day buyer, not STH typically. Yet utter confusion on the orgs part had resulted in several times there being misinformation about whether tickets were available on game day prior to the new bleachers going up. You'd here that the game was sold out, not be able to buy tickets online, then find out later that you could still buy tickets at the game. Without any of this being spelled out properly on the site.

Edmonton soccer backers of course have a long learned history of this type of handling. I remember in the first year having to tell the Fath brothers that when buying tickets it would perhaps be helpful to have a seating layout schematic so people could even have a clue what section A, B, C etc meant and what ticket they were buying..

"oh, that's a good idea"

All that said I'll be going out to games but been working too much lately.
    Last edited by Replacement; 08-05-2014 at 01:06 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Fantastic game last night. Hard choice between FCE and the Oil Kings, but either choice would have been a great one. Made history for the first time they've beaten an MLS team, and it didn't look like an accident. Agreed about Boakai, he's the real thing. By far the best player on the pitch, and I hope we keep hearing about him for the next decade. An honour to have him on the squad, but what I read earlier, he could be called up by his German club as soon as this June. Enjoy him while you can...
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

I attended this club for 3 years including the exhibition season. In past years here I was the one starting this thread and exhorting others to show some interest. Lost some of the interest last couple years due to a deplorable product and facility. Also due to the abject confusion that had resulted from the move to Clarke.

I'm a game day buyer, not STH typically. Yet utter confusion on the orgs part had resulted in several times there being misinformation about whether tickets were available on game day prior to the new bleachers going up. You'd here that the game was sold out, not be able to buy tickets online, then find out later that you could still buy tickets at the game. Without any of this being spelled out properly on the site.

Edmonton soccer backers of course have a long learned history of this type of handling. I remember in the first year having to tell the Fath brothers that when buying tickets it would perhaps be helpful to have a seating layout schematic so people could even have a clue what section A, B, C etc meant and what ticket they were buying..

"oh, that's a good idea"

All that said I'll be going out to games but been working too much lately.
    I dont disagree that theyve made errors in the past. This year seems to be a lot smoother.

The Edmonton Supports Group (ESG) have been fanatastic. They've had about 30 people for some games and have been very loud.

I think if the team got more wins over the years, more fans would come out. I also think they should try marketing more towards the age 18-45 male than families...

I've been catching almost all the games for a long time. In my office, we've been doing a lot of work to try to promote the team. There will be skills/profile segments during the broadcast pre-game show featuring Boakai, Fordyce, Mirabelli and 11 others. Good stuff.

Ugh yeah..... Hopefully the seats fill more and more over time as the team gets more media attention and word of mouth spreads to people who truly enjoy playing and watching the game. It's great to be so close to pro soccer and enjoy a cold one at the same time. And you learn some moves from watching them play.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I am a season ticket holder. The games are entertaining and will be even more so come July when the Canadian football lines will no longer dominate the field for regular season games.

I am also hopeful that the Fath brothers can continue financially. The crowds are still too small. A lot of people in Edmonton follow soccer but only select leagues. This attitude can be broken but it will take time.

I wonder if people realize that FC Edmonton runs their own youth academy and that players like Hanson are products of that environment. The youth academy is based at St. Joseph High school.

I have heard that the long term plan is to one day join MLS. That day will be a great day!

YAY FINALLY!

(not my pic....instasomething)

This team needs a name. What the heck is an "FC Edmonton"?

Football Club Edmonton
    It's quite common in soccer to have team names like that (FC Barcelona for example)

Looking forward to the football lines being gone. Would love to see more people in the stands.

I'd rather C2E than work!

^ Yep, odd as it may seem, that's the one thing that's made it a problem for me - a personal foible, I guess. If you're going to play football, play it on a football field. Proper football, that is. Yes, I'm aware of origins, but Soccer is such an ugly word.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Posting Power

I hate soccer too, but it does really originate from Europe. Soccer is sort for Association Football, to distinguish it from Rugby Football back in the olden days. Well Australia has three types of football there so we can't complain too much.

I think once the lines are gone more people will come out to the games since it won't seem so amateurish. Pro soccer needs to be played on a good pitch otherwise it's confusing and frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by DTrobotnik View Post
    I think once the lines are gone more people will come out to the games since it won't seem so amateurish. Pro soccer needs to be played on a good pitch otherwise it's confusing and frustrating.
    Absolutely correct. Can you imagine the World Cup being played on gridirons?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Hard Core Contributor

My understanding is the field will still be used for football (with temporary markings). This is unfortunate because a football field requires an additional 25 yards behind the goal line on each end (end zones).

The best soccer stadiums are the ones that have seating only a few metres behind the end lines to create a more intimate and closed in experience on all four sides of the pitch. This is not possible so long as the field is also used for football.

A missed opportunity to make Clarke into a soccer specific stadium.

^ I think that door is still open, but enough soccer fans have to materialise to justify it. I assume you know, but Council decided to expand Clarke to 10,ooo seats as soon as FCE can average over 4500 for 3 years. I suspect at that juncture the soccer-specific-stadium idea starts making more sense.

Still this new turf is as significant a landmark as there has been in the team's progress. Right up with the move to Clarke, and the installation of the East side stands. Can't wait to see it under a game!

By the way, kicking myself for missing that last game against Carolina. 6 goals??? Hopefully the bottle has been uncorked for the second half of the season. Blasted LRT construction - just another reason to hate Thales...

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^No reason why there can't be a soccer specific stadium with 4500 seats.

As it stands, there are two bleachers located behind the end lines with terrible sightlines because they have to be set back from the football end zones.

Except for the need to accommodate the football end zones, those existing bleachers could have been moved behind the north and south end lines with clear sightlines down the pitch.

^ True, but FC Edmonton doesn't even sell out their main stands yet anyway. In the current reality, CFL Rules is still nearly as significant at Clarke Stadium.

It just comes down to soccer fans filling the seats and making a statement that soccer is important at that scale. When we do it, we'll get rewarded. If we don't, what can we really say?

Perhaps we could encourage the soccer Golden Bears to add critical mass now that Foote Field West is tending to the Athletics sphere.

^ Now that would be a good idea. Concentrate the better standard of football at Clarke - make it the football destination.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

1-0 loss to Indy today. The eddies can't score to save their life. The new turf at Clarke looks great without the football lines.

I still have a blast at the games. I wish more people would go.

I was there. Man the Indy 11 have a fantastic crossbar. Lost count of how many times it bailed them out.

Agreed, the turf is FANTASTIC!!!!! I was so accustomed to the CFL lines that I think I didn't know how much I hated them in a soccer game. It's bigger as well, which brings the game closer to the fans. Nice cozy experience, and better promotions going on too.

I think I'll be hitting at least another three games.

I know what you're saying guys, but it's a bugger when the pitch evokes more excitement than the product on it.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Ha ha. Well they are fourth on goals against at least. They're in every game, and off the pitch it's a great package now.

Yesterday's game:

- All tickets sold out (second time this year and in Eddies history)
    - Announced attendance 4392 (meaning 600 no-shows)
    - Won 1-0 over Tampa Bay on a goal from Lance Laing
    - With the win moved into 3rd place in the 10 team league's "second season".
    - 4 points out of the playoffs with 6 games remaining
    - Next game, this Sunday the 28th @ 2:00 P.M. against the New York Cosmos at Clarke Stadium
    - Expect? Another sell-out.
    Last edited by JayBee; 22-09-2014 at 10:17 PM.

Sparse turnout for today's long weekend game (paid attendance announced at 2900, but again quite a few people/companies/teams didn't use their tickets).

Things look good for the team, but two thoughts on where I think they have to go next:

1. East side gates for LRT users and those parking at the Commonwealth transit centre.

2. In long-weekend tilts, move to Thursday evenings.

Very fun time though, and got a coupon for a free Famoso Pizza, plus a big 3-0 victory!

C2E Posting Power

Thanksgiving weekend Sunday is a bad day to have a game. Pretty much most people have their turkey dinners that day.

Job No 124398783-005
    Description: To construct Temporary seating (bleachers and VIP tents) for a period of 3 years for a Spectator Sports Establishment (Clark Stadium).
    Plan 7921483 Blk 82
    11100 - STADIUM ROAD NW
    Plan 2191EO Blk OT
    Applicant: FC EDMONTON
    Create Date: 3/16/2017 10:25:51 AM

^ are they expanding the bleachers again?

Not that i have heard, may just be extending their permit? Or maybe they'd like to move some of those awkward corner bleachers to somewhere that actually makes sense

http://edmontonsun.com/sports/soccer...soccer-stadium

7,000 is a good start, hopefully in the CPL the demand would be there to increase to 10,000 in short order.

Okay, I've been told ReMax Field can't be used for soccar - just unsure why:

Field size Left: 340 ft (100 m)
    Centre: 420 ft (130 m)
    Right: 320 ft (98 m)
    ... gobsmacked

Size wise yes it can be, a full sized soccer field is able to fit easily. The issues come with the angle of the grandstand being too acute, makes for an awkward viewing angle, take a look at NYCFC playing at Yankee stadium, it's awful.

Then what do you do with baseball? You're only shifting the ground sharing issues from junior football to junior baseball. It would be even worse as the playing surfaces aren't compatible either. Sure you could remove baseball from the equation altogether but I think that's not the right way to go about it. I'm not a baseball fan at all but I think they need their own place to play.

All good points - but if 9,200 is capacity - that means at least 4100 would be ideal - put another garndstand, Clarke sized on the other sideline and wouldn't that work?

I mean, one of the problems with Clark is amenities and food and beverage. Solved at ReMax.

Anyway, yes, the Prospects deserve a home, but could it be Clarke?
    ... gobsmacked

I'm not going to say ReMax couldn't work, because it 100% could, I just don't believe it's the right option.

If you reverse the use of each facility you're literally moving the issue from one group to the other. What happens when someone decides to bring back a pro baseball team, well now they have to go through the same issue that soccer is having now. We have a prime baseball facility, it may be underutilized at the moment but let's not handcuff ourselves just to take the easy out.

Clarke already has a head start as an SSS and i don't think its going to cost that much to bring it up to the standard that we need to host a CPL team. Looking at other stadium projects of similar size i think $15m is the max we need to spend (the Fath Group has already spent a couple million on the facility). And let's not forget that this facility would not just be hosting FC Edmonton but youth tournaments and school district finals, maybe provincials and nationals eventually.