Thread: Chances of a Capital Region transit commission

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Default Chances of a Capital Region transit commission

Excuse me if there is another thread relating to this. I looked back quite a ways and didn't see anything specific to this.

My question is, what are the chances of the region coming together on a unified regional transit commission?

I know there are issues implementing this and it can often be stymied through disputes between municipalities but I think now is the time to begin discussing this and here is why.

Pros:

* Less overhead managing the system (at least this is the hope)

* Fleet commonality for ordering and maintenance

* As the region grows there is already service very close to the outlying communities, for example the 747 bus service to the international airport.

* Easier to plan transit, for example getting LRT to St. Albert vs deciding who pays for what.

Cons:

* Initial trouble forming the commission

* feeder routes in the outlying communities having potential for low ridership?

* disputes on service level could arise causing troubles.

Overall I think the pros outweigh the cons. Thoughts?

We already are part way there... With more coming in the future

http://capitalregionboard.ab.ca/priorities/transit

C2E Hard Core Contributor

This is very good news (and a tip of the hat to Mayor Don Iveson):
    An effort to create a regional transit authority took a big step forward Thursday as all 13 mayors in the Edmonton Metropolitan Region signed on.The effort started years ago as an Edmonton-St. Albert project, but on Thursday every municipality in the region got involved in the second stage. The working group is now finalizing the governance structure, funding, picking routes and setting up a legal framework for co-operation.
    https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...metro-edmonton

Two obvious names for a new regional transit authority. METS: Metro Edmonton Transit System. GETS: Greater Edmonton Transit System.

C2E SME

I think the new regional routes should be integrated with the new Edmonton Transit routes.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

The surrounding communities are literally attached to Edmonton now, so this makes pragmatic sense.

As per the name, 'METS' sound quite nice vs 'GETS.'
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E Long Term Contributor

Admin/moderator: change the thread title from "Capital Region" to "Metro Edmonton" please and thanks.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Admin/moderator: change the thread title from "Capital Region" to "Metro Edmonton" please and thanks.
    It might be:

Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board (EMRB)

Looks like the Transit Committee (one of 5 standing committees) is now gone.

http://emrb.ca/Website/files/3e/3eb7...b82be469ea.pdf
    Last edited by KC; 11-10-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    The surrounding communities are literally attached to Edmonton now, so this makes pragmatic sense.

As per the name, 'METS' sound quite nice vs 'GETS.'
    Yes, but "GETS You There"
    There can only be one.

"METS" sounds more sophisticated, but I get the pun.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

METS sounds like an ancient mega freeway plan.

I rather have that than copy TO, but it's all good either way. I'm curious how this will speed up the LRT overall?

C2E Long Term Contributor

Edmonton Metropolitan Region united by transit model
    October 11, 2018

Residents and businesses in the Edmonton Metropolitan Region are a step closer to a more convenient and integrated transit service between all 13 communities and counties as a result of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signed today to establish a Regional Transit Services Commission.

The MOU outlines how the Edmonton Metropolitan Region partners will voluntarily work together to set up and operate inter-municipal routes, leaving local service with existing transit agencies. The Regional Transit Service Commission will provide more integrated and reliable movement between nearby communities than the current mix of transit services.

“This win/win approach to regional commuter transit service is a great example of how the municipalities are working together to make best use of resources to benefit our citizens, businesses and the environment,” said City of Edmonton Mayor Don Iveson.

The Government of Alberta has provided $3.7 million to support behind-the-scenes work to set up the commission. The goal is to have the new commission begin inter-municipal operation after 2020. The Edmonton Metropolitan Region will join the ranks of major Canadian urban centres that have efficient regional transit services, including Vancouver, Victoria, Montréal, Toronto and Ottawa.

For more information:
    Regional Transit Services Commission

Media contact:
    Tarra Kongsrude
    Communications Advisor
    780-495-9903
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

I’d like to see Metro Edmonton Transit routes aligned with the new routes for Edmonton Transit.

That would make sense as those smaller communities are just minor realignment vs Edmonton itself.