Results 4,901 to 5,000 of 5003

Thread: ICE District Developments | Under Construction

C2E Long Term Contributor

Spring 2020 it should be complete.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Continued Contributor

Amazing photo ^

The downtown really has come a long way in the last 4 years, much of it thanks to the Ice District.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Spring 2020 it should be complete.
    So year to complete the bits of the plaza east of the pedestrian access?

Quote Originally Posted by Concrete Jungle View Post
    Amazing photo ^

The downtown really has come a long way in the last 4 years, much of it thanks to the Ice District.
    Thank you, it's certainly one of my favorite vantage points.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

What a unique view.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Anybody know what they charge to park here for an Oilers game??

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeman View Post
    $20

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Love that photo, Stevey_G. Really neat view.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by chinpokomon View Post
    $20
    Actually that's not to bad. I was in Toronto a few weeks ago and we were downtown one night when the leafs were playing, their parkades all charge $32 on event nights.

I'd rather C2E than work!

It's $20 to park in the open air city centre parkade too, which is ridiculous when comparing the two parkades. I'm shocked it's not $40 in the new one to be honest.

^ they're being smart... let people try it and realize how good it is. Can always raise it to $25/30 once the value is established.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    I've been using it for 3 weeks now. Signage is not great. The exit sign sends you to the loading dock exit. But it is big and bright. uses the licence plate payment system. No staff at the entrance or exit. Have to watch out on entering some people have hit the bottom of the car. Easy to park a pickup or large SUV in there.

It's also $12 to park in Manulife heated underground, and $10 Commerce heated underground for events.

manulife has been my go to. Easy to cut through the mall to get to/from the arena, and easy to get out of after event, and out of downtown to the southside.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    manulife has been my go to. Easy to cut through the mall to get to/from the arena, and easy to get out of after event, and out of downtown to the southside.
    Shush 😶

Does the new Ice District Parkade have direct access to Roger's, or at least the bridge over 104 ave?

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    Does the new Ice District Parkade have direct access to Roger's, or at least the bridge over 104 ave?
    Looks like you have to exit out of Stantec and walk over to the pedestrian portal at this point. There will likely be more direct access in the future.

There are plaza-facing doors in the Stantec lobby that are just blocked off right now, so there will definitely be a more direct route available eventually. I'm surprised that there isn't an elevator directly into the Ford Hall portal though.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Shush 
    epcor tower is still my go to and if you're on the north side of the arena it's an easy exit to 105 avenue without having to do the full concourse circle plus ford hall to leave.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Shush 
    epcor tower is still my go to and if you're on the north side of the arena it's an easy exit to 105 avenue without having to do the full concourse circle plus ford hall to leave.
    What do they charge at Epcor??

Shush 
    $15, according to epcortower.ca.

What do they charge at Epcor??
    $15, according to epcortower.ca. I recall seeing on another thread that their parkade is truck friendly, too, which makes sense if crew trucks sometimes have to park down there.

I've parked at Epcor for a game. My only real issue was that the traffic light at the top of the ramp REALLY slowed down the exit process. That and the multiple jerks cutting in line inside the parkade by shortcutting across empty parking stalls. I think it took 30 minutes to get from my parking space (backed in, no less) to street level.

It has great access to the North entrance of Rogers. An easy run when it's freezing outside. And I can confirm it's truck friendly.

Nice to know as I got scolded for not knowing about truck stalls lol. Is this the case with every parkade or just selective places for general inquiries?
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Nice to know as I got scolded for not knowing about truck stalls lol. Is this the case with every parkade or just selective places for general inquiries?
    i don't think there is any requirement to have "truck stalls" in a parkade. although some parkades do make some accommodation for trucks, it's often an after the fact look at which stalls and aisles are wide enough/tall enough/deep enough for them.

epcor tower's clearance design criteria for the parkade was a simple assumption that someone was going to drive down there someday in "a full size ford expedition with a thule and a ski rack on top" so we might as well design it for that.

I only use my truck for trips north, but this will be good to know for future reference nevertheless if I have to bring it downtown. I tried parking it in our condo downtown and it is a nightmare to navigate.

I believe the parkade is something like 7' or 7'1 clearance for duallys.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Well the Thule's going to be a problem on the Expedition, then.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

officially it’s 7’-2”. unofficially most of it’s taller.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

The clearance is fine if one's truck is not lifted. The problem is the width alloted for it; when neighbors selfishly park their vehicle right to the divided lines , and you can't get out of the vehicles... I've ended up scratching the same vehicle twice on purpose because of the selfish act. They figure that their accessibility supercede all others. I made sure to take pictures both times.

The clearance is fine if one's truck is not lifted. The problem is the width alloted for it; when neighbors selfishly park their vehicle right to the divided lines , and you can't get out of the vehicles... I've ended up scratching the same vehicle twice on purpose because of the selfish act. They figure that their accessibility supercede all others. I made sure to take pictures both times.
    You realize this is a crime right?

They may have been forced to park on that line because a previous vehicle was parked too far over on the other side. Man you be rude.

Well you know, hockey fans. Do they allow tailgate parties?

Not when you have to get out and your neighbors selfishly take up the space. One can only climb out of their sunroof so many times which were also filmed because the neighbor felt your aera of parking is theirs. They were also politely reminded to park properly numerous times which were also documented. When they can't cooperated in fairness, all bets is off from that point.

Not when you have to get out and your neighbors selfishly take up the space. One can only climb out of their sunroof so many times which were also filmed because the neighbor felt your aera of parking is theirs. They were also politely reminded to park properly numerous times which were also documented. When they can't cooperated in fairness, all bets is off from that point.
    Have him towed. No matter how you frame it its still either vandalism, not reporting an accident properly or wanton destruction all of which can carry serious consequences.

It went to court and I won. She had to fix my damages because of her unwillingness to stay on her side. It was not the case of me not cooperating as that was done countless times. It was towed 3 times with pictures to prove her infractions. She also incurred two penalties from the condo board to no avail. She felt she didn't do no wrong when she ivaded my space. Her entitlement was that she needed my space so she could get out of her car. One can't be responsible if others decide part of your parking is their entitlement to occupy even when they're wrong.

www.decl.org

Not bad, not bad at all !! ... still wish Stantec had a few more angle and curves like JW Marriott, though still an amazing project for Edmonton just the same!

Now, hopefully Alldritt goes ahead and gives our skyline yet another big punch!

I believe the Ice District Boston Pizza opens today

Gave up on BP years ago. Food is not bad but the worst service of any restaurant I ever went to, no matter which location.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I see this presentation is dated Oct 16, 2018.

Why are they still using renderings showing a 160m+ tower b, a four storey podium with rooftop garden, and cineplex signage? That seems misleading now.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Gave up on BP years ago. Food is not bad but the worst service of any restaurant I ever went to, no matter which location.
    I hear that the group that owns this one also has the Jasper Ave one and 2-3 others......wish I was a trust fund baby....lol. Just set up a few BP's - print off as much money as I want for 10 years and call her a day in Cancun permanently......

BP's Ice District opens today.
    www.decl.org

any pictures of it available?

^
    Two floors of deliciousness! @bostonpizza in the Edmonton Tower in the heart of #IceDistrict opens today!

https://twitter.com/IceDistrict/stat...48659001901056

C2E SME

I hope they get a decent sign installed and not just on the windows. I really hope they will take advantage of the patio area in the summertime.

So I wonder when they will open up the sidewalk on 104ave next to the Marriott?

Oh and I heard on the news that they have now opened up scramble crosswalks at the two ends of Rogers Place on 104ave.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Oh and I heard on the news that they have now opened up scramble crosswalks at the two ends of Rogers Place on 104ave.
    https://globalnews.ca/news/4666167/e...le-crosswalks/

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    I hope they get a decent sign installed and not just on the windows. I really hope they will take advantage of the patio area in the summertime.

So I wonder when they will open up the sidewalk on 104ave next to the Marriott?

and they're working just as well as the one at 104th and jasper already with both traffic and pedestrians...

My apologies if this has already been mentioned in the thread, but it sounds like they are trying to work out a lease with Friesen Brothers to be the grocery tenant

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Are they good? I know them as a small town grocer; downtown Edmonton seems to be the exact opposite of what they're about it.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Here is their website
    http://freson.com/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Are they good? I know them as a small town grocer; downtown Edmonton seems to be the exact opposite of what they're about it.
    so... how well have the big city grocers (safeway, loblaw’s, sobeys, whole foods, costco, walmart) treated us so far? the only grocer we have - save-on-foods - is also a western canadian small town grocer. maybe what we need is more small town/more local, not less.

nothing wrong with Freson's. shopped there several times when on the road. Heck size isn't the only thing. Almost all of Manhattan gets along just fine with smaller chains like Gristede's and D'Agostino's, both of which have smaller footprints than a typical Freson's

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...11/freson-bros
    Last edited by buildings; 18-11-2018 at 12:17 PM.

so... how well have the big city grocers (safeway, loblaw’s, sobeys, whole foods, costco, walmart) treated us so far? the only grocer we have - save-on-foods - is also a western canadian small town grocer. maybe what we need is more small town/more local, not less.
    Save-On is hardly a small town grocery of the same class as Freson's. Save-On is based in Langly and is huge in BC. All told, they have 150 outlets in western Canada, the vast majority in B.C. Freson's has 16 current outlets, none in the larger cities according to their website. Smaller stores, smaller towns and 1/10th the size of Save-On.

Quote Originally Posted by buildings View Post
    nothing wrong with Freson's. shopped there several times when on the road. Heck size isn't the only thing. Almost all of Manhattan gets along just fine with smaller chains like Gristede's and D'Agostino's, both of which have smaller footprints than a typical Freson's

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...11/freson-bros
    The article states that they will open in Edmonton by 2020 but mentions a Rabbit Hill location near the end of it.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Freson Bros. were probably the last grocery store I would have thought of. They do operate one of their stores in Hinton 24/7 which could be a draw downtown. I was hoping for an Italian Centre always a mini vacation going there and prices are great.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

They are building a new store north side of the Henday on RHR

I used them while in Drumheller. Great store really. I ate there quite s bit too, good food. Been to the one in Stony Plain a few times as well. Lovsin family owned and operated chain. They like staying open 24/7 which is handy. I wonder how that would go downtown though (sketchy neighborhood)
    Last edited by Drumbones; 18-11-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Have you been? I'm just curious about their quality. I agree that none of our existing options are spectacular.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

I have shopped at Fresons in High Level and Peace River and it’s small town for sure. I look for specialty items -and sure as hell won’t find the type of and choice of items that Italian Centre or a large Sobeys would
    provide. It’s a conservative retailer and you can expect the basics and not much more. A huge disappointment if Fresons is who it is.

Definitely not Friesens. Loblaws.

Loblaws just opened an Urban Fresh a mile from here. There's 3 Loblaws in downtown Toronto, a much denser and more populated area and none of them are within a mile of each other.

...so
    www.decl.org

So? Sure, downtown Edmonton is so special that Loblaws will just toss out the financials so they can make you happy. After all, you don't want to walk more than 4-6 blocks to get anywhere. Why not have them build two?

Until anything is confirmed by One Properties/Katz/Ice District, who knows for sure, but two nearby might be strategic/efficient.
    www.decl.org

Freson Bros is AWESOME. They’ve been a huge success out in Stony Plain and a Godsend for my grandparents when it comes to their in house food prep.

Until anything is confirmed by One Properties/Katz/Ice District, who knows for sure, but two nearby might be strategic/efficient.
    Efficient? How? By cannibalizing each other's customers? Look at the other chains. How many of them build within such a short distance of each other? A few years ago when stores were smaller, sure. As the stores get bigger, the distance between the same brand gets further apart.

Freson Bros' opened a store in Fort Saskatchewan last spring. There is a lot of on site prepared food like pizza, chicken and salad bar. Grocery is supplied by Overwaitea. It is a pretty impressive looking store with higher prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Freson Bros is AWESOME. They’ve been a huge success out in Stony Plain and a Godsend for my grandparents when it comes to their in house food prep.
    Concur - would love to see them in the city. Many in rural Alberta would stay open 24 hours.
    ... gobsmacked

They are opening a new location on Rabbit Hill Road by Nineteen restaurant, construction has already started
    Excellence is a continual Journey up a staircase where there is NO top step...

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    I agree. I think they’re very good and I think they do well wherever they set up

C2E SME

Well I'm not going to worry much about who is going in until I start seeing a building to go into.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Efficient? How? By cannibalizing each other's customers? Look at the other chains. How many of them build within such a short distance of each other? A few years ago when stores were smaller, sure. As the stores get bigger, the distance between the same brand gets further apart.
    Look at how marketshare is developed and then consider that.
    www.decl.org

CRL update (with reduction in parking revenue impact)

www.edmonton.ca
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

www.edmonton.ca
    So what exactly does this chart mean?????

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^

doesn’t matter - it’s downtown and it’s rising.

(sorry, couldn’t help myself. )

^ doesn’t matter - it’s downtown and it’s rising. (sorry, couldn’t help myself. )
    I don't understand the chart either. Does it mean we are going further into debit?

Not all rising forecasts are positive.

Meanwhile in the news

Parking revenue for downtown Edmonton hasn’t panned out

https://globalnews.ca/news/4701081/e...rking-revenue/
    Edmonton city council will review a report that shows the forecast for how much revenue could be brought in from on-street parking for major events at Rogers Place has fallen $6 million short.

The report that council will debate at its meeting Tuesday estimated $2.5 million would be generated each year to pay off an $80-million mortgage on the $600-million Rogers Place arena project.

“However, revenue for on-street parking, off-street parking and parking enforcement is $6.2 million lower than the $30.3 million projected in the consultant’s analysis,” the report said for the four years from 2015-2018.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 27-11-2018 at 10:21 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT
    I don't understand the chart either. Does it mean we are going further into debit?

What is so difficult to understand? It's a chart of anticipated and actual revenues from the CRL, which are coming in quite a bit faster than projected because of the quick pace of development. That's a good thing.

And no big surprise on the parking revenue thing. As was stated about a million times during the planning and construction of the arena, parking downtown was not going to be significantly impacted by the arena as most users would be taking transit or were already downtown. Not to mention the 2-3,000 stalls that were added with Ice District. Glad to see that's the case. And the increase in CRL revenues can easily cover off the decline in parking revenues.

There is endless parking Downtown during events for much cheaper than on-street. $10 will get you heated underground (or at least covered) within a short walk. I honestly can't imagine anyone using on street parking to attend an event.

So how's that giant parking lot behind Rogers Place doing? Y'know, the one the city made a zoning exception for.

It's probably still a parking lot.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Too bad. I imagine more people would Park on the street if it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Too bad. I imagine more people would Park on the street if it wasn't.
    How dare you even think people would be allowed to utilize street-parking when using my community. Any patron of my community should be welcomed with a tag and tow. :P
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

www.edmonton.ca
    I think I understand the chart: If "the City estimates that the Capital City Downtown CRL will generate sufficient revenue over its 20 year life to fund approximately $500 million in new infrastructure downtown," then this chart might show how revenue has been generated at any given time until the end of the CRL in 2030.

So right now we are still in the negative. But with a growth of revenue by 2025/2026 the investment will be neutral. By the end of the CRL in 2034 the profit generatee should rise to somewhere between 125m-175m depending on a couple scenarios.
    Go down a few dark alleys.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    There is endless parking Downtown during events for much cheaper than on-street. $10 will get you heated underground (or at least covered) within a short walk. I honestly can't imagine anyone using on street parking to attend an event.
    did anyone not think the less than forecasted parking revenue might have had a tiny something to do with the fact there has been a drastically fewer number of arena events than forecast? people aren’t going to come downtown and park without intending to actually go somewhere after they’be parked.

it might also have to do with all of the lost parking for bike lanes and 102 ave lrt construction and losing 99 street and 105 street and 108 street and 103 avenue etc. for construction and repairs. you can’t earn revenue from something that’s not there any longer.

I agree. Did they also factor in for the 2034 projection, two new LRT lines that may reduce the number of cars going downtown? Or the effect of the downturn in the economy from the oil glut that affects people's spending power on events?

One thing about long term projections, by the time you realize that they were wrong, the project was approved and built and all the consultants and bureaucrats have banked their salaries and are sitting on a beach in Mexico. The COE and taxpayers are left holding the bag. It is not like we can sue them if they make a stunningly inaccurate projection with their fiscal forecasts.

What has happened with the concerts? Northlands did a great job of attracting acts for years and we the coliseum was one of the busiest venues in North America. What has happened with the move to OEG?

Part of it is likely the higher cost of hosting an event at the new arena. If the promoter factors that into the ticket prices and determines that the anticipated draw won't give them their anticipated profit margin, they'll bypass it.

Big concerts, particularly for a city on the northern edge of urbanized North America is not a case of "If you build it, they will come.". It cost time and money to haul all those tractor trailers up and back. And if they can't hit Calgary on the same run, the money made in Edmonton need to be even higher to cover the costs. Sure, the really big names will draw people from Calgary as well but for some of the lesser names it may not make financial sense.

Higher rental costs + higher ticket tax = higher ticket prices. Add to that the fact that you're likely going to be paying more for parking.
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 28-11-2018 at 12:17 PM.

They estimated only 25% of attendees to Rogers Place would take transit. That number is closer to 40%. Plus a lot of people are walking or already are Downtown prior to events. Thus lower parking revenue.
    www.decl.org

Any other city that shouts their green record at every opportunity would be thrilled that they're decreasing overall passenger vehicle traffic. It was pretty short-sighted to link downtown parking revenue to the funding model when there are so many initiatives in place designed to nudge people toward cycling, transit, carpooling, walking, etc.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    What has happened with the concerts? Northlands did a great job of attracting acts for years and we the coliseum was one of the busiest venues in North America. What has happened with the move to OEG?
    this day in 2012, the canadian dollar was on par with the us dollar. today it's worth barely a touch over 75 cents.

this is great for exports, not so good for imports and most of the big concert groups are american. they have lost a quarter of their previous revenue before they even show up in addition to the higher costs of touring.

northlands got into the business and experienced the exact opposite - as the canadian dollar strengthened it became more and more profitable to tour in canada and that happened at the same time that the internet and digital files virtually killed record/tape/cd sales. as those sales dropped, many of the performers had to tour more to replace that lost revenue. as many of those concerts couldn't use the saddledome because of limited roof capacity, northlands became the beneficiary of all three of those circumstances in addition to being in a market with lots of disposable income. as music providers learn to monetize digital files and file sharing, they can maintain their revenues while starting to tour less.

the same perfect storm that worked so well for northlands is now working in reverse for rogers place. it's a lot more complex than just local costs going up (which are now being paid in 75 cent dollars anyway) and the configuration of the loading docks. as for the local consumer, the increase in ticket prices might have some effect (although again it's the non-canadian component that is driving most of that, not rogers place) but parking probably doesn't (you can park closer to rogers place for less money than you used to pay for parking at northlands).

Thanks very much for the explanation. Makes a lot of sense.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Maybe the cost to book the place should be less if it’s sitting empty. Wouldn’t you rather make some dollars than no dollars? If they’re capable of making money with the Oil Kings then they can certainly make money filling the place with shows where the tickets are $70 instead of $300+ each.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Maybe the cost to book the place should be less if it’s sitting empty. Wouldn’t you rather make some dollars than no dollars? If they’re capable of making money with the Oil Kings then they can certainly make money filling the place with shows where the tickets are $70 instead of $300+ each.
    it’s not the cost of the place, it’s the cost of the performers (or how much they want/need to earn to come). the oil kings aren’t paid professionals and mccartney or brooks aren’t going to perform for what the oil kings are paid (i picked them because you picked $300+). it’s not the arena that needs to make money, it’s the performers. the arena is just another in a whole line of expenses.

C2E SME

Not to mention that the cost of setting up and tearing down stages is a wee bit more costly than a few scrapes of the ice.

and heres to katz selling his towers, with probably a profit laughing at the city. In before the KK (katz krew) rolls in to defend ice.
    Friendly neighborhood (non-double poster) photographer.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Okay fair... but there are a lot of awesome acts out there whose tickets aren’t insanely expensive. Katy Perry, Imagine Dragons and others would be very affordable.

Page 50 of 51 FirstFirst ... 40464748495051 LastLast