Thread: NAIT Power Engineering

Default NAIT Power Engineering

I'm considering signing up for Power Engineering through distance education at NAIT - starting with Level 4 (and continuing on if it goes well of course) and looking for any feedback on the school, course and job prospects.

I have a strong professional background with 15 years experience in IT, Project Management etc.. along with mY recent five years of solid hands on experience in the oil and gas industry. However, I work with a service company, so my schedule is never consistent and when I am working I am away from home for far too long. I don't want to go back into an office role, so I'm looking for something I can complete through distance education with high employment prospects with good pay.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

C2E Continued Contributor

Do you have any options lined up to do your steam time? That will likely be the hardest part of the whole process. I know that getting the steam time done at NAIT is very competitive due to the number of students, and not everyone can do it at/through the school, due to the limited spots available.

That's good information to know, I wouldn't know where or how to do that.

C2E Continued Contributor

If you have an 'in' with an employer, they may allow you to do your steam time with them, maybe with pay, maybe without. You can do it at NAIT, if you have the dedication, and a little luck, as it is a first come, first serve basis. Before jumping into the program, you may want to try and see if there are some options for getting steam time in somewhere, just in case you can't get in at NAIT right away, you may end up being delayed in finishing your program. And depending what your life situation is in life (family, house, etc) you may not be able to delay it longer than you have to.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I occasionally have students come work with my operators in my LPS plant to help them get their hours. Best course of action though I think is to try and land a position with a company that has pressure equipment and gain hours by working alongside the operators. I've pushed a few guys through the program that way and it works well

There may be lots of PE's out there but there are relatively few good commercial operators. It's been a challenge finding operators who want to do more than sit in front of a console
    Over promise and under deliver. Itís the most Edmonton thing you can do.

Unfortunately, all of this is discouraging to hear. It seems like to get your steam hours you either need to (a) be non working student and can jump in anytime NAIT has an opening, or (b) try to get into a location with a job that you might possibly get hours. It doesn't seem accommodating either way for someone in my position.

Addicted to C2E

In addition to the above , you will have to recognize that in a lot of the operational jobs is that they are shift work positions , if regular routine is important to you this may be a draw back. Night times , weekends and holidays are regularly sacrificed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hull534 View Post
    In addition to the above , you will have to recognize that in a lot of the operational jobs is that they are shift work positions , if regular routine is important to you this may be a draw back. Night times , weekends and holidays are regularly sacrificed.
    I understand this, and trust me know all about sacrifices in this industry. I'm on day 17 away from home with another week to go. I worked in the field 245 days last year 5-7 hours away from Edmonton and commute in my own vehicle. From everyone I've talked to that work as operators directly with the oil companies, the majority of them work equal time rotations with fly in and out which would be a walk in the park compared to what I am doing now.

Imperial is hiring operators for their refinery in Edmonton. I also saw an ad on Kijiji for a boiler company that was looking for operators - this sounded much more remote- but likely a good in for your steam ticket.