Thread: Car share program finally coming to Edmonton

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Car share program finally coming to Edmonton

Car share program finally coming to Edmonton

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nton-1.2747915

A car share program, much like the ones operating in Calgary, Toronto and Halifax, could soon be operating in Edmonton.

The city is soon expected to announce a six-month pilot project with a company that can’t yet be named. The final details are now being worked out.

“It's on a trial basis and we shall see how that works out for them,” said Brian Murphy, supervisor of parking operations with the city’s transportation department.

Companies like Car2Go or Zipcar allow people to rent a car for a quick trip to the mall or for a weekend trip. Members locate the nearest vehicle using an app on their smartphone. Once they’re done, they can leave the vehicle in a designated parking spot.

While people in other large Canadian cities have been able to use these services for years, Edmontonians have so far been out of luck.
    Murphy says the company approached the city earlier this year. The pilot project would start with 10 vehicles and eventually increase to 50.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Please let it be Car2Go. Then I can have one membership for Edmonton and Calgary. And Car2Go already has good discounts with places like Craft Beer Market.
    www.decl.org

^it "sounds" like its not, but don't know. Anyway, great news, people get out and support it.

I heard it's not Car2Go for sure.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    ... And Car2Go already has good discounts with places like Craft Beer Market.
    Okay, am I the only one who sees the irony of a company that rents cars giving discounts to consume alcohol!! LMAO

As someone who is giving some thought to whether my current vehicle will be my last - or I'll go for just one more - I find this concept fascinating.

Will probably give it a try.
    ... gobsmacked

^Actually it's a 2-for-1 deal for Sunday brunch. So not technically alcohol. I should have clarified.
    www.decl.org

First One is Always Free

It is not car2go. A brand new local company.

Fantastic. Why leverage economies of scale & lessons learned when you can reinvent the wheel locally?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

highlander

Odds that they provide a user-friendly website and apps are not good when the're talking about 10 cars.

There are other cities with independent local options but they grew before the corporate chains existed and have hundreds of cars. A franchise of ontario's Autoshare or Vancouver's Modo might work if it could piggy-back on their assets.

highlander

Vancouver has 700 car2go cars, 300+ Modo cars, and over a hundred Zip Cars

Maybe the new one will use FIAT's to be different?