Thread: POGO CarShare service to launch in Edmonton

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default POGO CarShare service to launch in Edmonton

POGO CarShare service to launch in Edmonton
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/pogo-carshare-service-to-launch-in-edmonton-1.2809812

Getting around Edmonton will soon be a little easier for those who don’t own a car.
    POGO CarShare will hold its official service launch Thursday afternoon, celebrating a new trial six-month parking agreement signed with the city.

Mayor Don Iveson is expected to speak at the event, and will also take a POGO vehicle for a test drive.
    The company already has 10 unmarked vehicles on the road in Edmonton, which are being tested by a group of ‘select customers,’ according to the city.
    Those that sign up for the car-share service will get 24/7 access to a pool of vehicles, paying only for the time they use the car.
    A POGO spokesperson said more specific information about when the service will become available will be given out at Thursday’s launch.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'll be joining this, just to try it out and see if it works well. I do fine without a car, but there are still times when access to one would be useful!
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

This is one time where I'd really, really, really had preferred going with a non-local outfit, if only to benefit from economies of scale & the lessons they've already learned from other cities' rollouts.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

highlander

Agreed, but the big players weren't coming. If they've got an agreement with one of the established regionals for tech support it should work out OK.

I'll probably get a membership if it will be on a return trip model. If it's point-to-point I'll pass, the service area ( if the website graphics are any indication) may be wide and sparsely covered for a return trip model, but for me it's too small for point-to-point. I want car-share for those in-town work trips that are too long for an easy bike ride.

highlander

I just signed up.

The zone is close enough to where I am, prices are reasonable (47c per minute, $14.99 per hour) even for a longer trip with a stopover outside the zone. The only question remaining is whether there enough vehicles to make it really convenient.

I am not all that familiar with this service - but why wouldn't the car rental companies be in on this already? Multiple locations around the city with a fleet ready to go.

highlander

A couple of the big rental companies have entered the short-term rental market, and I think one has it available at the U of A.

The in player in the point-to-point market is Car2go, which is owned by Mercedes and runs all smart cars. They're growing fast, too: they have over 400 cars in Calgary after 2 years or so. The other big players in canada are a Co-op in vancouver and private companies in Toronto and in Montreal, as well as Zip-car in Vancouver and Toronto. All are reasonably successful as far as I can tell, but maybe not as profitable as normal car rentals? I know that Zipcar was just breaking even a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
    I am not all that familiar with this service - but why wouldn't the car rental companies be in on this already? Multiple locations around the city with a fleet ready to go.
    Very different market / business model. People using Car2Go type services wouldn't typically be renting as frequently, rather, they'd be taking a taxi, transit or their own cars. I was chatting to a lady the other day who told me she uses Car2Go to go to an event when she knows she will drink, then takes a taxi home, saving one cab fare. There services are really handy, I hope does very well.
    Last edited by moahunter; 29-10-2014 at 12:37 PM.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
    Very different market / business model. People using Car2Go type services wouldn't typically be renting as frequently, rather, they'd be taking a taxi, transit or their own cars. I was chatting to a lady the other day who told me she uses Car2Go to go to an event when she knows she will drink, then takes a taxi home, saving one cab fare. There services are really handy, I hope does very well.
    heh, during Stampede it was kind of hilarious to see dozens upon dozens of them parked around the grounds. My friend who occasionally uses them said that they had come out with some new policy or rules to try to cut down on how much dead heading happens during big events, with every Car2Go in the city parked within a few block radius.

highlander

Especially since (at least here) Pogo can park free in residential parking restriction zones. That might not be the best idea once the zone expands out to Commonwealth and Northlands, but it's a few years away at best.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^It would be a terrible idea to let non-residents park for free during major stadium events.

A car share service should operate under the same rules as private motor vehicles including paying the same rates for metered parking and abiding by all other parking restrictions.

Don't get why car sharing is marketed as somehow being green. If people using the service would otherwise take public transit, cycle or walk for short-haul trips, car sharing could add to traffic congestion and be environmentally harmful.

I'd rather C2E than work!

How large do the zones get in other cities with Pogo? Wondering if it might include EIA one day.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

highlander

Car Share companies typically have a per-car agreement that approximately covers the cost of the parking that they use, without necessitating thorough records or the complication of trying to add the cost of parking to one user's bill.
    Most residential parking restrictions are blanket bans on non resident's cars simply because it's too hard to deal with any other way, not because there's a problem with the occasional outsider's car. It's was a problem at commonwealth because 40,000 people overwhelmed the neighbourhood, but that's not a problem now with just 20-50 cars, and in most cases won't be a huge problem even with 200.

Car-share IS green, if less green than active mobility or mass transit. Car share is the missing ingredient that will allow residents to sell the car that they keep for those off-hours trips when transit sucks or the rare trip to buy something that's to big to carry home otherwise. I've seen statistics that claim that each car-share car can replace 10-20 existing cars that were mostly parked, leaving more room on the street for the shared cars to be on the street without causing problems for locals.

I will be using Pogo to continue to avoid a second car, and to allow me to make my normal bike commute on days when I have out-of-office meetings, reducing my driving mileage and in a smaller, more efficient vehicle.

highlander

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    How large do the zones get in other cities with Pogo? Wondering if it might include EIA one day.
    Pogo is local, but with car2go Vancouver's zone is almost the whole city, plus north vancouver, minus a few industrial zones, and about 600 cars. Not the suburb, though.
    Montreal has about 300 cars and covers a fairly small area.
    Calgary has around 400 cars and covers about 1/4 of the city, all west of the deerfoot.

Toronto's 400 cars cover roughly the central 1/4 of the city, no suburbs

If Pogo has the same game plan we'll see several hundred cars and an area somewhat less than the inner ring.

Exactly.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Continued Contributor

A friend of mine was part of the Beta testing and really likes it for the short quick trips that sometimes she needs to take. She is looking forward to more vehicles as it gives her another option for not being a car owner. She used to rent a vehicle for the weekend once or twice a month and mentioned that with pogo she will likely be able to cut this in half. Works well with her as she is a transit user and cyclist.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

www.decl.org

Im a bit surprised they are using Kia rios. I would have thought tiny cars are better suited, like the smart car, the little Mitsubishi or Toyota. The advantage of those, is you can park them anywhere.

I wouldn't mind seeing some trucks or vans in Pogo's fleet. Personally I could use a truck about once or twice a year when I need to haul something large.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I loathe driving with the fire of a thousand suns, but I've tried Pogo cars a couple of times now, and I do really like them. The "butt warmers" seem like a real luxury if you're not usually a driver or passenger in newer cars. I can't see myself needing them very often (I've structured my life so that I really only NEED to drive a couple of times a year), but it's nice that they're there when I do.

I've only been downtown for a few times since these were introduced and I haven't seen any of their cars around. Is there a popular spot where these vehicles are left?

Also here are a few more opinions on POGO:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Edmonton/com...pogo_carshare/

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    I've only been downtown for a few times since these were introduced and I haven't seen any of their cars around. Is there a popular spot where these vehicles are left?
    You can park it in any City-run parking spot (for free--they have a deal with the City for that). So they're kind of all over the place. Checking my app, it looks like right now there are two available in downtown proper, three in Oliver, two in Windsor Park, two in Strathcona, and three in those neighbourhoods south of Whyte Avenue (Richie and King Edward Park, I think).

highlander

The cars aren't heavily dressed up, they're not moving billboards for the service the way car-2-go cars are. It's nice when you're driving them, but it doesn't help them to build public awareness. That's the bulk of the reason you haven't seen them around.

Pogo car share announces plans to expand fleet
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...leet-1.2893317

The Pogo car share service that launched in Edmonton two months ago is expanding.

The company currently has 25 cars and more than 350 customers.

The owners announced Wednesday they plan to double the fleet by spring. They hope to have 150 cars on the road later this year.

"We’ve seen a lot of uptake from Edmontonians, with over 1,500 trips in our first two months of operation,” said Pogo co-founder Kieran Ryan in a news release.

The cars are parked on streets downtown in Oliver, Old Strathcona and around the University of Alberta

highlander

Sweet, thanks.

150 cars will be really great coverage if they don't expand the home zone, and still decent if they increase it significantly. The 20/25 cars that they have so far has been OK but it's sometime a little bit of a hike to the nearest one.

Why isnt the taxi cartel all up in arms over this service? If they plaster tons of cars around in these areas it will be cheaper and easier for people to use them as their own taxi.

Because it is not a car for hire, it is a car for rent.

Excellent to hear about more cars though, time to sign up.
    www.decl.org

The more these guys expand the more it will be used like a taxi service. Couldn't Uber deliver a car that people rent for their brief trip?

highlander

They could, but it would be stupid, requiring 2 cars and 2 paid drivers to provide the service pogo provides with1 car and no driver.

That would be stupid but the driver can move over to the passenger seat while the person uses the car for what they need. Now you can charge more due to convenience and cover the entire city at the same time.

And what if the driver has passengers that fills up the car?
    If the current find-and-seek system works then let it work. If you don't like it then don't use it.

I never said i dont like it. I actually think its a great alternative for people to use. I see this like another form of a taxi though as they have even stated...

As for your comment on the car being full you would obviously order an appropriate sized vehicle just like you would when calling co-op. Pretty simple no?

Just signed up, thanks DECL member waived fees (Oliver CL members as well).

Looking forward to using this '1 way' hahaha.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

I've noticed a lot of POGO cars around Whyte Ave recently. I think there were 3 parked around Whyte and 83 Ave the other day when I was out for a walk. It's neat seeing the cars and knowing that people are using the service.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

I am a POGO member, but not the sort of member they want, I'm sure, given that I loathe driving with the fire of a thousand suns and avoid it at all cost. I sure hope lots of people are making more use of the cars, though, because it really is a great service, and really well run.

highlander

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I've noticed a lot of POGO cars around Whyte Ave recently. I think there were 3 parked around Whyte and 83 Ave the other day when I was out for a walk. It's neat seeing the cars and knowing that people are using the service.
    The cars are now noticeable as POGO cars, complete with graphics and branding. Until about a month ago they were just plain compact cars, you would never know they were there unless you knew to look for the dash sensor. It's smart of them to do the graphics, it's free advertising and it lets users know there's a car there without having to check the app.