Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Live Music Venues in Edmonton

A thousand years ago it was Tiffany's (with the Earl's parrot hanging outside) - some kind of Bali-style import shop. When I lived in the neighbourhood it was a couple different vintage shops. Big kudos to the owners/proprietors who are nothing if not persistent. I also wonder if their timing (unintentionally so) isn't just about perfect - they started trying to get this venue on its feet well before the rise and fall of The Needle.

The Artery was the best venue in town for several years - the true inheritor of the Sidetrack mantle. The Aviary is going to be the same and we're a better city for it. Can't wait.

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ I would have been under the impression that the Needle was the inheritor of that mantle before they shut down.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    A thousand years ago it was Tiffany's (with the Earl's parrot hanging outside) - some kind of Bali-style import shop.
    Ah the bird store with the bird outside, I wondered if "Aviary" was a nod to that. Good to have some life return to that area.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ I would have been under the impression that the Needle was the inheritor of that mantle before they shut down.
    IMHO, The Needle had no soul to it.

The sidetrack was more than soul, though. It was also a little more accessible for the less bohemian of us than most.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    The sidetrack was more than soul, though. It was also a little more accessible for the less bohemian of us than most.
    The Sidetrack put the music first. The Needle put the $ first. That's the feeling I got when I was in there, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Trying to picture this venue... what was it before?
    https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.56033...7i13312!8i6656

Could have been the whiskey, might have been the gin... but whatever friggin' pixie dust the guys running The Aviary sprinkle around just works. And works spectacularly. A nothing special room, warm and inviting undoubtedly but not exceptional, is the cradle of live music in Edmonton once again. Maybe it's just because it's not a basement (I'm looking at you Sewing Machine Factory, 9910) - whatever it is WE are fortunate to have this. The city should be ashamed of whatever impediments they threw up which delayed this project.

It doesn't hurt that Daniel Romano and his band shook hands with the rock gods on occasion last night. They rushed a couple of hits off the album but the new tunes were impeccable.

Anyone been to The Rec Room at SEC for a band? I've been tempted by a couple of acts but haven't made it out there just yet. Start times decent? More importantly, end times decent?

Wednesday 28th Faith Healer and Jom Comyn are playing. Two excellent Edmonton bands. They would make it worth an onerous trip to the distant ex-urbs.

^
    Not been, but it looks like the trips not too bad, compared to some places in SEC. Ten minute bus ride on 74 from Century Park, and the bus stop isn't too far from the Rec Room.

Good one U. I'm on the #8 route so I always think of going by way of millwoods but the train to Century Park and then the 74 makes much more sense.

Good news...

http://www.edmontonexaminer.com/2018...-starlite-room

According to Boyd, the new stage lets Starlite Room provide a kind of gradient or “scale system” of space for touring artists. Temple’s stage is roughly the size of Brixx’s stage. Smaller and underground acts can use Temple, depending on their audience draw, as the compact space can make a show feel more energetic and full, Boyd said.

Starlite Room operators are also re-working the venue proper, working with the idea that more aggressive bands with underground appeal — and smaller local acts — can take the stage in Temple, while mainstream acts can play Starlite Room itself.

Gigcity wrote about Temple here: http://www.gigcity.ca/2018/02/07/mus...-the-starlite/

Also, the proprietors of the Rendezvous Pub at 149 street are apparently in the line of site for any West LRT interchange. They were at the public meeting the other night talking about losing the business. Mostly metal shows but I've enjoyed seeing bands there in the past.

Yeah, they have a good stage there. The layout of the rest of the bar is kind of weird, but it still works ok.

Popped into Brass Tracks (the old Brittany's space) on 97 st. No one was playing but I had a beer and a nice chat with the owners. The place is completely renovated - they moved the stage to the front of the room, looks good. Weekdays they're open for coffee trade at 8:30 am.

The Nook on 97 st hosted Beer Choir Friday night. Looked like a bit of fun. More options all the time along that strip - just need some bodies to start patronizing the area. Go To Something Edmonton.

Mercury Room is closing March 31. Too bad. Here's hoping those guys try another venue somewhere else in town.

The Rec Room is for sure a comfortable place to see a band. They appear to run a tight ship time wise, the sound is fine, and you wouldn't mind seeing the place with the lights on. But, for me, it's a bloody long way to go. I'd like to know what the bands are getting paid.

As a concept I give it maybe another year. So many staff and the place is monstrous.

See Five Alarm Funk there, by any chance? Didn't go myself, but I hear they're good.

I didn't and I've heard the same. That would be a good venue for them - there's lots of space for getting your funk on and lots of raised tables and chairs to have a sit (and still enjoy the band) if need be.

I didn't get a chance to see what the room looks like from the stage but I suspect unless you've got a packed dance floor it can feel pretty sparse from up there.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I guess its a venue of sorts but at Central station they have had this impromptu gathering of various musicians on the East side by the 1st concourse/elevator. Sometime its just one of the guys busking. This one trio has a really funky amped up guitar and its not club/stadium loud. If i didn't need to rush for my #5 to work every weekday afternoon, I'd stop and loiter around. They play (when I rush by) good old get it on rock n' roll. I always give them a thumbs up. Anyone else seen these guys?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    I guess its a venue of sorts but at Central station they have had this impromptu gathering of various musicians on the East side by the 1st concourse/elevator. Sometime its just one of the guys busking. This one trio has a really funky amped up guitar and its not club/stadium loud. If i didn't need to rush for my #5 to work every weekday afternoon, I'd stop and loiter around. They play (when I rush by) good old get it on rock n' roll. I always give them a thumbs up. Anyone else seen these guys?
    All the time. They're pretty good

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Especially that electric guitar player.

I remember one Saturday morning about 9:30 and a guitar player was busking away, and somebody riding up the escalator with me. He mumbled something to the guy about getting a real job. I replied back.

"You try doing that for hours on end on your feet with very little chance of getting anything in return, you don't think that's work?"
    Last edited by envaneo; 04-03-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Stopped into The Commodore for b-fast this am and to my surprise there was Sean Stephens playing in the corner. Apparently they're trying out live music weekend mornings. It was damn cool. And the eggs were great too.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Don't know who Sean Stephans is but that's a small venue. Sight lines aren't all that great unless your sitting at the counter and you turn around too see. Is it just the artist and his guitar?

Sean's a good player and has a decent voice... He plays bass, but has also moved into banjo and tenor guitar. I'm sure he could play a 6 string too, if he had too... lol He also plays in a duo with a guy on clarinet.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Good to know, thanks. I'm just wondering about the venue though viewing area that sort of thing. Where the "stage" is etc.

^^Bleached Rag is his duo project with the clarinet. Here's a write-up and photo from last week: http://edmontonjournal.com/entertain...-jasper-avenue

^ Good to know, thanks. I'm just wondering about the venue though viewing area that sort of thing. Where the "stage" is etc.
    Yeah, I wonder... ajs, where did he set up? By the door? Can't imagine it would be a raised stage, probably just moved a couple of tables out of a corner?

EDIT: Sure enough, in the corner by the door...
    Last edited by lat; 18-03-2018 at 10:18 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I like this, thanks.

I was surprised while out to supper at the Mayfield Fionn MacCool's to all of a sudden here a live guitar and voice start playing. They had a fellow set up near the back of the restaurant, where there was a wide hall between the pub and restaurant side.

If you go to each location's page on the list of Edmonton locations for the chain, they list the performers and dates booked for each location. Although Skyview had no entertainment listed, Gateway has a singer booked for Thursdays, City Centre for Fridays, and Mayfield for Friday and Saturday night.
    Last edited by Ustauk; 19-03-2018 at 12:59 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I remember a buffet in Jasper Gates square in the 1990's where they used to have a grand piano in the center of the premises. I can't recall the players name, or even the buffet's name.

I remember a buffet in Jasper Gates square in the 1990's where they used to have a grand piano in the center of the premises. I can't recall the players name, or even the buffet's name.
    You're talking about the Royal Fork Buffet. It closed a while back, and is now a Dollar Tree.

The site for Julian's Piano Bar at the Chateau Louis states it has live entertainment on Friday and Saturday night. Presumably they use the piano as part or all of the entertainment.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Thanks, that's the one. We used to go there all the time for the fried chicken.

There's very few good buffets around anymore. The Ramada used to have a good one but not with Live music or anything. Thanks for the link.

If you haven't checked out The Aviary yet This Tues. is the time - Slow Leaves. All killer no filler. What a great room.

Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    The site for Julian's Piano Bar at the Chateau Louis states it has live entertainment on Friday and Saturday night. Presumably they use the piano as part or all of the entertainment.
    A buddy of mine has played piano there on Friday nights for the past while. Was there once. It's ok, in a loungey kind of way...

Hmmm... not sure if I agree with some points in this article, but it is food for thought...

http://www.gigcity.ca/2018/06/22/doe...d-the-station/

Marvins Garden not getting a lot of support from an indiegogo campaign... well, yeah... if you can't get the support to bankroll it, maybe you shouldn't be risking money from the population at large too... live music venues are risky, not for your average supporter. But, if you are able to get to the point where you can open the doors, I'll be there with beers on.
    Last edited by lat; 22-06-2018 at 03:03 PM. Reason: clarity

Needle Vinyl had a good space so I'm not surprised the The Station isn't changing much. They'll likely do well.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

^^ The author of that article seems to be conflating a few things that don't really hang together. As for The Station - Grikowsky's article in the Journal the other day had the new owners vociferously insisting this was not just a branding exercise. I believed him. We'll see.

More importantly - The Works stage kicks off today and it looks like a killer line - up of great FREE music for the next little while. The Jazz Fest has another excellent line-up. Taste of Edmonton is going to be a fantastic stage. We are super lucky.

Yep, the author wasn't very focused in their arguments...

Make Music Edmonton is underway on 124 St. too, I believe...

Speaking of indiegogo campaigns, The Forge launched one to help them rebuild after the arson incident at Club 82.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/h...ge-band-rock#/

Their facebook page has a good status update on things.

https://www.facebook.com/Theforgeonw...00325156831607

We have been in the venue and have assessed that the damages to get the venue back to the way it was is going to cost an excess of $25,000, If in the event we may have to move the venue it will cost us significantly more. We have found homes for most of our shows and we are currently doing what we can to still accommodate a few new shows coming our way.

C2E Long Term Contributor

How about this one more regularly? Fantastic backdrop and the new sloped lawn is great.

@ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by lat View Post
    Speaking of indiegogo campaigns, The Forge launched one to help them rebuild after the arson incident at Club 82.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/h...ge-band-rock#/

Their facebook page has a good status update on things.

https://www.facebook.com/Theforgeonw...00325156831607

We have been in the venue and have assessed that the damages to get the venue back to the way it was is going to cost an excess of $25,000, If in the event we may have to move the venue it will cost us significantly more. We have found homes for most of our shows and we are currently doing what we can to still accommodate a few new shows coming our way.
    Vue Weekly did an article on a fundraiser for The Forge to be held at The Aviary.

Things seemed to be going well for The Forge. The relatively young venue—the roughly year-and-a-half-old business that replaced The Pawn Shop after it closed down—had made it through some early growing pains, and it had a full schedule booked for this early July.
    However, early morning on May 28, a fire broke out in the alley behind the Whyte Avenue business, leaving it with $20,000 to $30,000 in smoke and fire damage.
    http://www.vueweekly.com/some-from-t...for-the-forge/

Up + Downtown festival this year is not to be missed. Antibalas are coming to the Starlite as part of it. The last time they were here hands down the coolest, sweatiest, danceyist, most cathartic musical experience I've had in Dirt City.

Healthy crowd at the Brick and Whiskey open stage last night. Well done.

Mice District Monday's at The Aviary sounds like fun. Free shows on Mondays sponsored by Alley Kat and Inner City Rec and Wellness. This week Electricity for Everybody.

Accent Lounge has a Jazz Jam on Tues. nights in the summer - fills the void as Yardbird Suite doesn't host the $5 Tues. nights July/August. Last night was cookin'. What a talented cadre of young people - Edmonton is bursting with excellent musicians (in many genres).

Apparently there's another space on 124st. Passport Resto Lounge (attached to Cosmos Greek Kitchen) that has a Jazz Jam on Thursdays. Anyone checked it out?

From Vue Weekly:

Place to See Live Music (Small Capacity)
    Winner:
    The Aviary
    (9314 111 Ave; 780 233 3635; the-aviary.net)

1st Runner-up:
    Sewing Machine Factory

Place to See Live Music (Medium Capacity)
    Winner:
    Starlite Room
    (10030 102 St; 780 428 1099; starliteroom.ca)

1st Runner-up:
    Century Showroom

2nd Runner-up:
    Union Hall

Place to See Live Music (Large/Stadium Capacity)
    Winner:
    Rogers Place
    (10214 104 Ave; 780 414 5483; rogersplace.com)

1st Runner-up:
    Winspear Centre
    http://www.vueweekly.com/best-of-edmonton-2018/

Good to see the Aviary rise out of the ashes of the Artery and be better than ever.
    Not surprised to see The Starlite get the honours. Surprised that Union Hall got a mention. Will have to give it another chance. It's been a (very) long time...
    Don't think that The Winspear and Rogers are in the same category... at all... oh well.

The Royal Alberta Museum apparently has a 250 seat theatre built into it. Andrew Grose, who both co-hosts the CHED Afternoon News show and runs the Edmonton Comedy Festival, mention this fills a niche between really small venues and larger venues. Maybe we will see some music acts play there after the facility opens.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm curious about the "Cask & Barrel" just behind the 7-11 there off of Jasper Ave. I'd like to take a friend of mine there for a late lunch next Saturday. Is it any good for food and music?

Denizen Hall is shutting down next weekend

Their domain name has expired.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

A lot of acts come to town to perform at River Cree.

I'm curious about the "Cask & Barrel" just behind the 7-11 there off of Jasper Ave. I'd like to take a friend of mine there for a late lunch next Saturday. Is it any good for food and music?
    I was there once to check it out on a Saturday. Didn't have any food, but the place had a nice vibe to it and the duo acoustic act didn't overpower the space, which is on the cozy side. I would try it...

Glad to see DECL space is hosting shows for Up + Downtown again. The Friday night line-up is worthy. Good Nature are an excellent local act.

Too bad DECL doesn't program their space this way with some regularity. Avonmore is having good luck with their concert series. And they don't have the benefits of location, size and accessibility like DECL does.

^Thanks for the feedback. We do what we can with volunteers. We had an open mic series last year, this year we're looking at other opportunities.
    www.decl.org

Volunteers yes, but in my experience these sorts of events can be worthwhile fundraisers for leagues - often an extra motivation for league volunteers. Of course, as we all are, I'm sure you're somewhat stymied by the parochial liquor sales rules imposed by AGLC. Heads up EFCL, that would be a worthwhile lobby effort. Loosen those stupid, restrictive rules for selling booze at league events.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123