Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Live Music Venues in Edmonton

I disagree with the article's slant on the live venue scene, saying that:

This follows the demise of several other local music spaces, including The Artery — still working on reopening elsewhere — New City, the Venue at River Cree and a list going back to the Sidetrack.
    The Artery is well on it's way to opening a new venue, based on rumours I 've heard. New City is now DV8, is it not? Haven't been there in a while, so that may have changed. The Venue at River Cree is rebuilding with MORE seats. The Sidetrack was DECADES ago, so is really not relevant to the current situation, although I still wake up sobbing from dreams about it's demise...

This quote from Moslehi tells me that the scene is not dying, but in a state of transition; shifting more to the north side of the river, which will take some pressure off of Whyte Ave. and bring some balance to the scene. The downtown area needs more live music venues, and they are getting them... Not at all bad in my books.

“We’ve also had a revitalization happening with an arena going up that’s put up a few live music venues ... that’s saturated it a little bit.”

I notice that Bry Webb is playing Friday night at the Southside Memorial Chapel. I've never seen a show there before and I don't remember hearing about gigs there, however, the storytellers festival used it as a venue this year.

The Lord giveth and the the lord taketh away... at least as far as Whyte ave. venues are concerned.

C2E Long Term Contributor
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^bummer, but at least they're still moving forward and not stalled...

Former St. Stephen’s church transformed into new Edmonton music venue, Studio 96.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/enter...259/story.html
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I love that building, great reuse.
    www.decl.org

Default Bohemia looking for new owner

https://www.facebook.com/bohemianses...00871189944953

On September 20th, 2015 our business license expires, and Bohemia will be closed after that date. We cannot afford to renew anything, Sheena and I are no longer able to continue to look after the corporation due to our actual personal lives, goals, hopes and dreams, and even if money wasn't a factor it is time for us to move on to new things. I've been selfless with regards to what I've put into Bohemia for 6 years but I need to take care of Steve and I know Sheena needs to take care of Sheena, too. We can't do it anymore.
    Hopefully someone steps forward and takes it over.

EDIT:
    Here's the kijiji listing... Only $25K...

http://www.kijiji.ca/…/affordable-do...30;/1097290415
    Last edited by lat; 25-08-2015 at 10:45 AM.

One resounding theme that came out of Scott Mckeen's Live Music Initiative roundtable a couple weeks ago was the late hour many music shows begin and, perhaps more importantly, how late they end. Weeknight gigs but even weekends - not all shows need to start at 10 and end at 2. Many working musicians I have spoken with are glad to be home and in bed by midnight.

Finn Maccool's in City Centre is one venue that consistently has music starting at 8. Greatly appreciated. Good crowd last night (mostly for the Blue Jays game likely but all the same). Maybe some DECL types should hook up with Clr. Mckeen about the issue. I bet there would be some cash available if DECL members maybe got a drink/food special during gigs with their CL membership.

After seeing the Icelandic singer song writer types at the DECL space during up+downtown, it's apparent that could work well as a venue with some regularity. It's well located to be part of a downtown live music "scene" (an early one anyway).

8-12 on school nights would be much appreciated by all, even 9-1, which is standard on Fri-Sat nights would be better from 8-12, IMHO... but, I'm getting old...

Saw a sign for a new event space just north of the Grant Macewan wellness centre. Apparently The Foundry event space only recently opened. Looks pretty cool inside. Rental rates are a bit high for the size, maybe they're going for a more corporate event scene. If I remember correctly the building used to house a bunch of rehearsal rooms/jam spaces.

Anybody checked out a show at 9910 below The Common yet? Reviews welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Saw a sign for a new event space just north of the Grant Macewan wellness centre. Apparently The Foundry event space only recently opened. Looks pretty cool inside. Rental rates are a bit high for the size, maybe they're going for a more corporate event scene. If I remember correctly the building used to house a bunch of rehearsal rooms/jam spaces.
    From their fb page:
    The Foundry Room is an affordable yet premium event space to hold private functions, business mixers, celebrations, seminars and many other types of events
    https://www.facebook.com/foundryroom/?fref=ts

As I posted in the Whyte Ave thread, Wunderbar is now closed

Sad to see. They were on the ropes for a while now, from what I understand...

Quote Originally Posted by lat View Post
    I'd never been, but I'd heard it was a dump and the washrooms were worse than an outhouse. Who wants to go to a place like that?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'd rather C2E than work!

You heard correctly.

Must be something about the area.

The Empress and H2O are dumps as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lat View Post
    I'd never been, but I'd heard it was a dump and the washrooms were worse than an outhouse. Who wants to go to a place like that?
    Some of the most influential, storied music venues in the history of rock and roll have been dumps. And I'll take a wild guess and say you have definitely peed in worse places than the crappers at Wunderbar. I know I have. As for Top Dawg, well, I'm surprised it's even a concern.

I go to those venues for the music. The washrooms are usually gross, but the beer and tunes are good... Part of the vibe in my books...

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    You heard correctly.

Must be something about the area.

The Empress and H2O are dumps as well.
    Admin, please change Top Dawg's handle to Lap Dawg...

New venue Downtown, 9910, under Common.

http://edmontonjournal.com/entertain...pens-its-doors
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

under Common, which used to be martini's... Some very strange things used to happen under there. Exorcisms being about the only thing I will mention here, but went far beyond that from what the rumour mill was.

^^ Their new space, and The Common in general, is a fairly great live venue spaces that are small, well maintained and designed, and offer real DJs and interesting out-of-town music as well as locals.
    Last edited by GenWhy?; 19-11-2015 at 07:39 PM.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Common is a fantastic place for a multi-tude of reasons, music being one of them.
    www.decl.org

New live music venue called Almanac Gastropub has opened on Whyte Ave. Address (10351) places it at the Red Square Vodka House location.
    http://globalnews.ca/news/2430147/ne...e-music-scene/

Mike Ross with a good article on how extended boozing hours proposed by MLA Shephard will not improve the live music scene in Edmonton.

Rumours abound that a group is opening a venue underneath Mill Creek Cafe.

Klezmer musician and author Geoff Berner wrote a great article some time ago about how independent music scenes thrive in down times. Since apparently our economy is headed down the crapper we might see an upswing in these kinds of rumours/happenings.

The Aviary gets ready to take flight as one of Edmonton's newest music venues
    http://edmontonjournal.com/entertain...t-music-venues

Edmonton’s live music scene 'rises from the ashes' with new venues
    http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...-edmonton.html

Recently opened at Whyte Avenue and 103 Street, Almanac is a gastropub where the front is devoted to food but the back can host small shows.

New to downtown, the Chvrch of John was the second tenant to move into the old Grand Hotel at 10260 103 Street. Derpack describes it as less of a traditional venue and more of a nightlife destination that embraces live music.

The Needle Vinyl Tavern is expected to open in the former CKUA building at 10526 Jasper Avenue in the coming months. It'll have two rooms, with a total capacity of over 400.

Edmonton felt like a proper big city on Saturday afternoon. Starting 4pm-ish at The Empress one could trundle along and catch three acts (Black Dog, Filthy's) before 6 ish on Whyte avenue alone.

And if you timed it correctly, you could catch the end of Jake Ian at the Cask and Barrel wrapping things up at Fionn MaCool's.

A worthy pub crawl by any standard.

^^checked out Chvrch of John, great new venue for music.
    www.decl.org

The Needle Vinyl Tavern opens on March 10:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...759002&fref=nf
    www.decl.org

Reference ID: Job No 187124854-001
    Description: To install 1 Fascia On-premises Sign and 1 Projecting On-premises Sign (The Needle Vinyl Tavern)
    Plan NB Blk 5 Lot 129
    Applicant: ELECTRA SIGN ALBERTA
    Create Date: 2/11/2016 9:25:40 AM
    Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^Sloan is booked to play a show in The Needle on April 15th: http://exclaim.ca/music/article/sloa...iversary_dates

So glad to see Avenue Theatre festering away on 118 while the city begins a minor renaissance in terms of small live music venues. A boarded up eyesore is waaaaay better than a reasonably priced gig space.

Apparently DV8 had a gofundme happening - can't pay rent etc. and now they've closed the Whyte Ave. locale. According to this VUE article they have moved to Mama's Pizza in Terrace Heights. I like Mama's Pizza and Pho, I'll be interested to see how this configures.

Checked out the opening of The Alley last night - not officially named as such just yet. Mill Creek Cafe owner Greg and his mom Isabel recently purchased the building. Greg started blue-skying what he could do with the basement space. Based on the healthy crowd he turned out last night he has hit upon something.

Straight forward, nothing fancy kind of space, but you can definitely see how it will develop some charm and warmth over time.

A young woman by the name Ella Coyes and her bandmate Jasper Smith played. She is a friggin' star. Great songs, fine guitar playing. She would be a perfect fit for the DECL space if you guys are interested in booking more live music. Honourable mentions to Trevor McNeely and Brendan McGrath as well.

Top_Dawg noticed that some joint called Xhale is now the occupant of the former Wunderbar space.

Any intel ?

The Needle opens Thursday. Looking forward to reviews from posters here.

The Needle injects some life into Jasper Avenue

FISH GRIWKOWSKY
    More from Fish Griwkowsky
    Published on: March 8, 2016

With hundreds of LPs embedded in its floor, a capacity of 500, two stages and a full-on American-tavern-style restaurant, the long-awaited the Needle is set to officially open Thursday. The 400-square-metre, mixed-use venue is on the main floor of the old CKUA building at 10524 Jasper Ave.

The first two bands to play Thursday will be Harpoonist and the Axe Murderer, with openers the Pistolwhips. Multi-bass, dual-drumkit dance panthers Shout Out Out Out Out headlines Saturday.

General manager Wesley Littke points out the always-open restaurant can help fund the costs of keeping the venue open, last year being an especially destructive time for music-only stages. “We also own a portion of the building,” Littke notes, “and we are well funded.”

Cover for shows will range from $5 at the door to $150 in a special mezzanine area on occasion. Security includes PatronScan at the door.

http://edmontonjournal.com/entertain...-jasper-avenue
    www.decl.org

I will support The Needle.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

'parently the website continues to be a work in progress.

Top_Dawg would think that at the very least they would post their hours.

Reminds Top_Dawg of when they tried to resurrect the Sidetrack downtown.

$400,000 in renos.

Then couldn't get a poodle to show up on time and open the place.

Nor would they spend $9.99 for a sign to indicate that they're open.

I noticed the advertising on the LRT on my way Downtown today, and I peered in through the neat windows on Jasper later on, but I didn't realise this was the first day it was open, so no pics.

Looks pretty good.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Needle was solid, great spaces, nice variety of bands, food, beer, crowd.

Bravo!
    www.decl.org

Starlight for Wintersleep tonight, good band live, great second opener Evening Hymns, vocals a bit low for winter. Love the Starlight though.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Starlight for Wintersleep tonight, good band live, great second opener Evening Hymns, vocals a bit low for winter. Love the Starlight though.
    I believe it's actually 'Starlite'

Correct.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Metric and Death Cab were pretty phenomenal last night. I've been very impressed with the sound quality the last couple years for concerts at Rexall. Not sure if it's just improved technology or what, but it seems like the quality has gotten much better and they're not blasting the music as loud as they used to.

^I have always found it to be decent for a large venue. Was tempted by that show, but smaller venues rule.
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^I have always found it to be decent for a large venue. Was tempted by that show, but smaller venues rule.
    then hopefully we'll see you tomorrow night?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

^wish I could Ken, sounds like an excellent evening, but I am indisposed at the AGA.
    www.decl.org

Rumour has it Fionn MacCool's City Center will not be doing live music any more. Too bad. Eli and the Straw Man were there tonight - no cover, early start, very good band but not many bodies in the place. I've seen other good acts there too.

Gotta support stuff downtown if you want to see results. Go To Something Edmonton.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Not really a very good venue for live music though, is it?

It's fine. Ahem...intimate but fine. More important than the room however was the consistency - Friday/Saturday nights 8pm. Also, according to musician friends who played, they paid well.

^ Cool, but "paid well" is a relative term. Got numbers? How long did they play, how many sets? If it "paid well" I'd have to think it's an exception in this town where open stages proliferate and decent paying gigs aren't the norm.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I've paid bands to play and think I have a handle on what the numbers are like. FM pays well relative to the very things you describe.

Two sets. But again, 8pm start so you could play two sets and be home in bed by 11. A real benefit for many.

^ That's good to hear, ajs. Most guys are semi-pro and have to be up for their day job the following morning. It's one of my pet peeves, this 'open stage' nonsense. I think most of us have been sucked in by that one at some point.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E SME

Too bad that the live music isn't working out for them, but it's not surprising. That location obviously has no street presence, and the majority of their business is people just dropping by while shopping or going to a movie. To be honest, even though I live a block away the place hardly ever crosses my mind and I've been there maybe twice before or after a movie.

It's also a popular lunch and after-work spot

Anyone checked out Blues On Whyte since the reno? Grand re-opening this week. Might have a look this weekend.

Went to the Needle last night for the Jr. Gone Wild gig. Lot of people in there last night, liked the stage area and the sound was good.
    Last edited by SP59; 07-05-2016 at 12:33 PM. Reason: there

Geriatric much ?

i can't be any more geriatric than you T_D! But yes.

Filthy McNasty's was closed today. Can't be a good sign. Anyone know if it's still in business?

9910 below The Common is closed. Temporarily according to their social media.

Previously booked shows are being held upstairs. They are a Up + Downtown venue and the upstairs capacity does not match downstairs. Might be a problem.

C2E Continued Contributor

9910 below The Common is closed. Temporarily according to their social media.

Previously booked shows are being held upstairs. They are a Up + Downtown venue and the upstairs capacity does not match downstairs. Might be a problem.
    Interesting. Very different audiences between the two venues too. I mean, if you go out on a random night on a weekend, you may run into an event that you weren't expecting.

^^odd... maybe a quick upgrade?
    www.decl.org

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

basement flooded at 9910.
    you missed when time and life shook hands and said goodbye.

Good line-up of bands at Bohemia this Friday. sKIN are one of my new favourite bands in town. https://www.facebook.com/events/1605988899694235/
    Well worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    Interesting. Very different audiences between the two venues too. I mean, if you go out on a random night on a weekend, you may run into an event that you weren't expecting.

Yeah, Top_Dawg used to regularly stop at the The Condom for a coupla beers back in early summer when Auntie_Dawg was lying in the General.

It's different.

Of course Top_Dawg noticed a lot of government workers sloshed on their cornholio wine.

But also Top_Dawg couldn't help but pick up a distinctly pervasive homeo vibe to the place.

Needless to say Top_Dawg only stayed long enough to see what was happening in the NHL playoff games that were on at that time.

For fear that some fudgling would try to push in his stool.

Great show at the Mercury Room this Saturday - Choir and Marching Band, Dub Vulture and Darren Frank. Now here's one place I hope benefits from its proximity to the plaza of the oligarchs.

Still no movement at the former Filthy McNasty's space. Anybody been to The Forge yet? Good sounding show at DV8 Saturday: https://www.facebook.com/events/393964350977860/

Macbeth Comics on 124 st and 107 ave apparently has the occasional gig. They are hosting a CD release party tomorrow night.
    https://www.facebook.com/events/118893448672492/

Brittanys location on 97th Street looks to be a future jazz bar based on info I got this week. Wonder how strong the jazz scene is in Edmonton? Guess it depends on if they get good musicians
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

DV8 has moved from Mama's Pizza on 101st to the Hilltop Pub. I look forward to checking it out.

Brick and Whiskey now has an open mic hosted by Bill Bourne one Thursday a month.

That Mama's Pizza location was pretty weird. Hopefully the Hilltop Pub arrangement will work better.

Stage setup is on the floor at the Brick and Whiskey. Looks nice and cozy...

https://www.facebook.com/brickwhiske...type=3&theater

Ortona Armoury hosting Skin, Wares and another band Friday night 9pm $10. The new album from WARES is well done. Skin are always great but they don't play around enough.

The Ortona Armoury is a good room.

Looks like the stage at UofA Student Union Building has hosted singer songwriters all week for noon hour sets. Brooke Woods tomorrow and Rebecca Lappa Friday.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/SUBstageUofA/events/
    Interesting. Looks like it happens on a fairly regular basis.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Walking towards my rbc bank on Jasper about 9:30pm Friday beside the park there (can't recall the parks name) there was huge white screen. My wife said its the children's make a wish foundation. Is that right?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Small but effective improvements to Sewing Machine Factory. Healthy crowd last night. Ownership must be chuffed to finally be serving beers downstairs.

Excellent show coming up on Dec. 23 - https://www.facebook.com/events/764721747047528/

Vertex Quartet are playing a by-donation concert at Holy Trinity on Sat. 2pm. According to a classical music lovin' friend of mine Holy Trinity Anglican Church in OS is his local go to for concerts.

El Niven & The Alibi are playing The Yards Magazine 'Best of the Core' Winter 2017 Issue Launch Party tonight at CKUA Radio in the Alberta Hotel. Doors open at 6pm, Panel discussion on bike lanes with Andrew Ference and Anna Ho (Paths for People) starts at 7pm. Just $5. Light refreshments provided, cash bar.

https://www.picatic.com/winteryards2017
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by booster View Post
    Brittanys location on 97th Street looks to be a future jazz bar based on info I got this week. Wonder how strong the jazz scene is in Edmonton? Guess it depends on if they get good musicians
    It's called Brass Tacks, looks close to opening or is open. Can't find anything on the www yet though.

Brass Tacks had their soft opening last night. My son was an invite and he quite liked it. Said official opening was next weekend. Side benefit of Needle closing is, a bunch of former staff are now there. Live jazz downtown. Fills a nice underserved niche.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I wonder how many Needle staff now at Brass Tracks will eventually make allegations of sexual harassment at Brass Tracks?

Hey evaneo - take it somewhere else. If you don't have anything to contribute zip it.

Good update booster. Keep us in the loop about the official opening. It'll be fascinating to see how a privately operated jazz club makes out. A couple hotel bars downtown had some regular jazz things happening until not too long ago but with a behemoth like Yardbird taking up a lot of oxygen it won't be easy for them. I wish them luck.

Anyone know who is behind Brass Tacks - is it an existing player?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Hey evaneo - take it somewhere else. If you don't have anything to contribute zip it.

Good update booster. Keep us in the loop about the official opening. It'll be fascinating to see how a privately operated jazz club makes out. A couple hotel bars downtown had some regular jazz things happening until not too long ago but with a behemoth like Yardbird taking up a lot of oxygen it won't be easy for them. I wish them luck.
    I didn't know you were an official mod of this open forum board. If you don't like reading my missives do what SDM does with my posts, put me on your ignore list. Trust me, my feeling are not going to be hurt.

Jazz has come a long ways since the Tommy Banks/Embers days, what with jazz fusion and the like. Its a worthy music genre that i hope gets more attention here.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post

I didn't know you were an official mod of this open forum board. If you don't like reading my missives do what SDM does with my posts, put me on your ignore list. Trust me, my feeling are not going to be hurt.

Jazz has come a long ways since the Tommy Banks/Embers days, what with jazz fusion and the like. Its a worthy music genre that i hope gets more attention here.
    Envaneo, leave the harassment BS in the other thread.

Thanks Edmcowboy11 for finding a website
    http://brasstracks.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Thanks Edmcowboy11 for finding a website
    http://brasstracks.ca/
    First event:
    Quote Originally Posted by brasstracks.ca

DECEMBER 23 - BRASS TRACKS PRESENTS - MIKE RUD // GRAND OPENING

Mike Rud is a Juno award-winning jazz guitarist, composer and songwriter, living in Montreal. As an instrumentalist, Mike has played alongside some of the greatest musicians of the era like Peter Bernstein, Kenny Wheeler, Herb Ellis, Joey DeFrancesco, and Randy Brecker. As a composer, Mike won the 2014 Juno Award for his album Notes on Montreal, a critically acclaimed tour-de-force, featuring his lyrics, and compositions.

Tickets $10 at the door
    Last edited by Ustauk; 12-12-2017 at 11:33 AM. Reason: typo

...so it is Brass Tacks, or Brass Tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    ...so it is Brass Tacks, or Brass Tracks?
    Whoops, typo, fixed, thanks!

OK so I was off by one letter. I was driving by at night.
    That probably explains why I couldn't find the website.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 12-12-2017 at 11:39 AM.

After a couple false starts it looks like The Aviary is ready for what they are calling the grand opening: https://www.facebook.com/events/335875513543872/
    Looks like a great show.

Awesome. Was wondering what the current status was.

Trying to picture this venue... what was it before?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast