Thread: New President at the University of Alberta

Default New President at the University of Alberta

So, the new President of the UofA will be announced tomorrow at 1030. The announcement will take place at convocation hall in the old arts building, all students and employees are welcome.

This announcement can be viewed live too at ualberta.ca

So this person will take over after the legacy of Samarasekara. It would be interesting to go through this person's qualifications and what he or she plans on changing the third largest academic institution in this country, specially in the backdrop of post secondary cuts and cuts directed at the UofA from the Alberta government.

I got an email about that this morning. I'd be curious to pop in, but as long as the new prez isn't completely atrocious I guess it doesn't matter one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by EightBitRanger View Post
    I got an email about that this morning. I'd be curious to pop in, but as long as the new prez isn't completely atrocious I guess it doesn't matter one way or the other.
    Well let us all hope he can tackle thinking like this.

C2E Long Term Contributor

New president is David Turpin. Good pick, the University of Victoria really grew under his watch.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

University of Victoria president leaves a lasting legacy - See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/univers....33oKJAFJ.dpuf
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Research heavy...
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd say he is a good choice. He really did change UVic to where it is now. I really look forward to seeing what he can do once he takes the office of the president.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Research heavy...
    don't underestimate the importance of this piece though:

"Meanwhile, the university moved to more than double financial assistance for undergrads from $4.5 million a year to $10 million, said Lori Nolt, director of student awards and financial aid. “[Turpin’s] role in reducing financial barriers is a really significant part of his legacy here,” she said.

"“We get to say yes to students more often than we did years ago.” Indigenous students, in particular, have benefited from increase support. Enrolment has grown tenfold from fewer than 100 students when Turpin arrived to more than 960 today.

Taiaiake Alfred, director of the Indigenous Governance Program, said UVic leads the country in the number of indigenous faculty, their prominence and the breadth of what they teach. He also cites the building of the First Peoples House on campus as a major achievement."

from the times colonist typo included.

emphasis added...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...alberta-campus

Ignore the odd headline. Only the first two paragraphs talk about the proposed new residence, but then most of the rest is about Turpin and his goals for the university.