Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,100 of 1270

Thread: Emerald Tower | 154m, 45 floors | Proposed

Ok children. Can you take it out the playground and slap each other there, please? Adults would like to talk about Emerald Tower, please.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

C2E Long Term Contributor

This stretch, say from 113-116st has a tremendous amount of redevelopment opportunity, akin to the UW Downtown. These along with the Quarters to the east and North Edge have the opportunity to redefine central Edmonton. Exciting.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by bleppers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Sure it does, you want nice towers all the time, you have to support that growth. This is Edmonton, not world superwealth cities where a company can constantly construct eye candy towers. Theyre doing the exact right course for this market which is to diversity and built for all affordibilty. Buyers have different financial range, so finishings correlate with those range. Pearl is not Ugly.
    So I believe what you’re saying is that the only way a person can ask for better design is if they’ve purchased a luxury condominium? Very very bizarre argument.

Good design isn’t about expensive finishes man. It is not impossible to build a well-designed tower that people can afford. I honestly can’t understand why you’re so afraid to ask for something better than, like, Edgewater.
    I have dealt with Regency before and both this project and their recent purchase of the BMO site make me VERY nervous.

I tend to like the Pearl, and believe they have it in them to build a half decent building, but have witnessed them cut corners in the
    past and would not be surprised to see it happen on both of these two prime sites.

I think there is a market for mid-range, affordable family friendly condos, I just don't think that these are the right sites for those type of projects.

I mean, Jasper Ave is our biggest opportunity, and I think everyone one on this thread is truly rooting for the best design. ONE that will positively impact the neighborhood long term and (hopefully) promote future development. Right now, I'm not convinced Regency and their current designs for this site will accomplish what we want more of on Jasper.

Here's a loaded (hehe) question for IanO - if you had to pick two developers for a vacant parcel of land along jasper to build a 30-40 story mixed use tower who would you pick out of the following:

One properties
    Qualico
    Edgar Developments
    Regency
    Procura
    Beaverbrook

In this scenario everyone has to build within two years.

Indeed. And it's exciting to see quite a few proposals in various stages of development already being in the pipeline too.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

This tower needs minor tweaking, so I wouldn't fear a disastrous outcome. As per BMO site, anyone in development should have commonsense to understand when to over perform. I think the Recency boys have enough intelligence to know that BMO site is a prime lot for a prime project.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

On my commute heading West yesterday on the #5 I noticed a backhoe on the property. Is something about to happen there?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    On my commute heading West yesterday on the #5 I noticed a backhoe on the property. Is something about to happen there?
    They've said they want to start construction in the spring so perhaps they're starting soon?

Yeah I noticed that too!

C2E Continued Contributor

Noodle and I just parked it there to troll you guys.

Haha! I wouldn't even put it past you

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Boy View Post
    Pearl is indeed a beautiful building with more than acceptable street level interaction. One or two pricks on here are being douchebags!
    It's not! I'm sorry man, it just isn't. I was actually just going down Jasper this morning and in light of the discussion on this thread I took a good long look at the Pearl. It's just not a great building. Super clumsy.

I honestly don't understand why some people on here are so eager to pat Regency on the back for such a mediocre project, and are so scared to ask for or expect something better.

Like why is someone criticizing this project a prick? Why do we owe Regency anything for doing the selfless, noble work of making themselves a shitload of money?
    Last edited by bleppers; 08-02-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Like why is someone criticizing this project a prick? Why do we owe Regency anything for doing the selfless, noble work of making themselves a shitload of money?
    People would rather just lump some of us in as Debbie Downers right outta the gate so they don't have to even bother considering other sides in the debate. It's a transparent deflection & discredit strategy.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^^yup, what a poorly designed tower awful street-level interaction.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...pg?format=500w
    www.decl.org

Thanks for posting that pic, Ian. It certainly validates my feelings about the building being a mishmash of stuff with terrible street presence.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I like judging street level interaction with a skyline shot.
    There can only be one.

www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    I like judging street level interaction with a skyline shot.
    It's great because you can cover the bottom chunk of the building & see how the tower is Brad Kennedy's Frankenstein Monster, built out of the parts of every other building he's built (minus the oblong core, that's new). Then you can cover up the top part & see that the streetscape isn't anything special on its own either, no better than any other retail CRUs facing Jasper Ave in Oliver. Then you can look at the whole thing & realize how middling the integration of the two parts is.

I'd rather C2E than work!

It's a great building. They can build twenty more similar buildings anytime they like. No matter what the pricks on here say. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    It's a great building. They can build twenty more similar buildings anytime they like. No matter what the pricks on here say. lol
    Hahaha! I like the building too.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

^Agreed. Pearl is great for our city, a few more please.

The negativity from this forum all seems to be directed at people making money doing things in positions of influence or design. "Boo this architect or that developer... you're nothing like XYZ in New York, London, Munich or Tehran."

I find it funny that anyone who disagrees with certain forums members are assumed to be on the payroll of some Illuminati/DBA scheme. We're disparate personalities who disagree with you. There is no conspiracy, that's where yah lose me and I tune out.

I've traveled to 33 countries and walked good and bad architecture. This is not bad.

But I do enjoy the banter...

I think street level interaction is universally poor in Edmonton developments; Pearl is no different in this regard. I suspect this downfalling has more to do with constraints from the cold climate than ability or desire.

How people can look at this photo and think it's the pinnacle of what developers here can achieve is beyond me

Like canopies are sh1t, burgundy granite doesn't come close to matching curtainwall colour, there are like 35 million mullions everywhere in several different colours, the massing around the entrance is completely ridiculous, the detailing on the base is oddly rusticated even though the rest of the tower is glass, ground floor glass is too dark, balcony detailing super clunky, and on and on and on... this is not good architecture. It just isn't.

And this is Regency's best project ever, by a mile.

^ What they said.

Perhaps bleppers can show us examples of recently completed buildings that he/she thinks is good architecture with decent street interaction.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Perhaps bleppers can show us examples of recently completed buildings that he/she thinks is good architecture with decent street interaction.
    New Enbridge tower, new City tower, The Edge Building (new Dub tower), Illuminada, Hendrix, "The Oliver", (or whatever they're calling it) all better than Pearl, most by a large margin. None of them masterpieces (except maybe Dub tower which is, I think, really great) but all indicative of at least some basic level of care/effort/skill.

And, like I said, Pearl is Regency's best by far, the rest of their buildings are all complete disasters. My basic argument is that as a city we should be extremely skeptical of any sort of promises these yahoos make because their track record is pretty awful.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^true. The Pearl and the rest of their projects are passable, some better than others, but hardly beautiful.

Administrator *

New Enbridge tower, new City tower, The Edge Building (new Dub tower), Illuminada, Hendrix, "The Oliver", (or whatever they're calling it) all better than Pearl, most by a large margin. None of them masterpieces (except maybe Dub tower which is, I think, really great) but all indicative of at least some basic level of care/effort/skill.

And, like I said, Pearl is Regency's best by far, the rest of their buildings are all complete disasters. My basic argument is that as a city we should be extremely skeptical of any sort of promises these yahoos make because their track record is pretty awful.
    You think the Edge Building has good street interaction? It has absolutely no doors on the 104 Avenue side, and I believe it just has one main door on the 107 Street side... Not that interactive, in my opinion.

Regardless of what side you're on in this discussion, at least we're all passionate in wanting good designed architecture for our downtown. I do like the Pearl and don't mind the latest render of Emerald. Eye of the beholder. Given the location, I'm pretty sure city council will be super picky on the building design of the BMO site in which they should be.
    Last edited by cpnfantstk; 08-02-2018 at 09:27 PM.
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    They've said they want to start construction in the spring so perhaps they're starting soon?
    I think the land has been remediated already. Ian would know.

What's remediation have to do with his comment about starting construction?

Administrator *

Quote Originally Posted by cpnfantstk View Post
    Regardless of what side you're on in this discussion, at least we're all passionate in wanting good designed architecture for our downtown. I do like the Pearl and don't mind the latest render of Emerald. Eye of the beholder. Given the location, I'm pretty sure city council will be super picky on the building design of the BMO site in which they should be.
    I'm not 100% sure, but can't they build quite tall on the BMO site without getting a rezone. If that's the case, council wouldn't have a say at all.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post
    I'm not 100% sure, but can't they build quite tall on the BMO site without getting a rezone. If that's the case, council wouldn't have a say at all.
    Hey CV7, I wasn't talking about height but the actual design of the building. Please correct if I'm wrong, I thought city council has to approve a design before granting the go ahead on a project. Unless there's some other entity I'm not aware of that oversees this.
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

Administrator *

Again, not 100% sure, but if there's no rezoning necessary (for example to a DC2 where the building design is written into the new zone), then council isn't involved at all. The development application would be approved by a development officer if it complies with the current zone. Someone with more knowledge of the city's zoning process should comment though.

It'd need to go through EDC, no?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^I believe the answer to that would be a yes: https://www.edmonton.ca/city_governm...nts/C14054.pdf
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    ^I believe the answer to that would be a yes: https://www.edmonton.ca/city_governm...nts/C14054.pdf
    Thanks to both. Edmonton Design Committee.I figured there'd be someone in place for this. Thankfully, it's not a "free for all"and there's oversight.
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    What's remediation have to do with his comment about starting construction?
    Nothing. I was just wondering if the site would need to go through any remediation. Knowing what was there before, I kind of doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Thanks to both. Edmonton Design Committee.I figured there'd be someone in place for this. Thankfully, it's not a "free for all"and there's oversight.
    EDC is a council advisory committee and has no actual 'power' to approve or not approve designs. The EDC can only support or not support a design and the development officer (DO) wields all the power, and if a DP is rejected then it might go to the SDAB (subdivision appeal board) and they can overrule the DO. If there are no variances from zoning, I'm not sure a DO is allowed to reject a project either. And not all zoning speaks to the 'quality' of a design. Actually very few zonings do.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Solid stuff, thanks. Is there a website that shows what EDC has in que and what they have approved up to now?

I don't really follow the various developers, and couldn't say that I prefer any one over the rest, so I have no dog in the fight (re: Regency vs. the rest). But anyone that thinks that the Pearl isn't a fine addition to our skyline is simply looking for things to complain about. It's evident when posters wax architectural, and follow up by citing buildings with no street interaction as great examples of street interaction, or buildings like Hendrix as displaying skill in design.

It seems as though some have dug in their heels about anything related to Regency and are letting bias get the best of them (I may be misreading the room). For me, if a tower is executed as well as the Pearl, it will be a boon for the city.

Anyone care to show completed towers in this city that
    is better than Pearl? We'll start with your stucco tower Noodle and go from there... Since Pearl, one other tower is at its level with two in constructing stages. They are Ultima, Legend, and Sky. While I think Pearl could have been tweaked further, it is hardly a disaster. There are concepts for different price points.

Sorry, There is Encore as well.

bump...

Ye gods that's a hideous podium.

Administrator *

That's an old render though.

Current render is only slightly less hot garbage.

My understanding is that there is contamination to be dealt with still on site prior to construction commencing.

As for BMO, they reverted the old DC back to CCA so it will not require Council's involvement, but it will go to EDC.
    www.decl.org

Haters gonna hate.
    There's worse examples podiums with parking above than this (looking at you Century 1 and 2). Although this has potential to set a precedent for above ground parking, I think overall this tower isn't that bad and will be a net positive for that area and downtown. I'd give this a 6.9 out of 10

Quote Originally Posted by Grandonite View Post

Haters gonna hate.
    There's worse examples podiums with parking above than this (looking at you Century 1 and 2). Although this has potential to set a precedent for above ground parking, I think overall this tower isn't that bad and will be a net positive for that area and downtown. I'd give this a 6.9 out of 10
    Is that not the danger with this though? The concern should be ALL the parking being above ground. Plus, the other examples you gave are fairly old relatively speaking. It seems we're regressing with all the parking in this case.

As for the tower, this looks like a taller, better articulated Hendrix, which people were praising not that long ago. Meh. I guess while it would be nice if the tower looked a bit nicer, not everything can be Stantec or JW. No matter what you do with engagement, there are always going to be people angry. The more important question is what are people angry about and what can you ignore versus what is good feedback? Parking takes away potential office frontage on the street, which could bring more folks into the building and interaction throughout the day. They could go alley only above ground parking or something like that I suppose. There are solutions and ways to mitigate the criticisms and meet folks half way.

if they're going with something like this to cover up the parking lot levels, then i don't think it's bad at all. there's a lack of colourful designs around the city which makes things really depressing at street level during the short daylight hours parts of the year... i really like the tron building on jasper for adding colour and glow. you all know which one i mean
    Last edited by DTrobotnik; 12-02-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DTrobotnik View Post
    if they're going with something like this to cover up the parking lot levels, then i don't think it's bad at all. there's a lack of colourful designs around the city which makes things really depressing at street level during the short daylight hours parts of the year... i really like the tron building on jasper for adding colour and glow. you all know which one i mean
    Does the colour show up a lot here at night? Honest question. I definitely agree with what you're saying in principle, but do coloured windows really make a difference at night? I'd argue that some sort of lighting scheme like lights on the HLB or the redo of the 109/Jasper tower would be more welcoming. I'm not sure you want a 45 storey tower dancing at night though.

I know I'm in the minority here but I'd rather they not festoon any more buildings with RGB LED lighting.

I know I'm in the minority here but I'd rather they not festoon any more buildings with RGB LED lighting.
    We can just rename our city New Vegas.

^^^

i don't mean the whole tower. just podium for effect on street level. i don't think they glow and they wouldn't have to in the day, but with the right accent lighting at night, this could generate a nice visual energy. then again, i like the re-do of crowne plaza, thought it was a positive add when most just shat on it, so what do i know
    Last edited by DTrobotnik; 12-02-2018 at 12:25 PM.

how come? the tron building is probably the coolest looking building in the city at night. and that works for busy downtown areas. doing something colurful with the emerald would contribute nicely for both day and night time street visuals.

how come? the tron building is probably the coolest looking building in the city at night. and that works for busy downtown areas.
    You think RGB LEDs are cool, I think they're cheap & tacky. The "Tron Building" is about the exact opposite from my cup of tea & the tarted-up HLB is hideous in my books.

Purely subjective, each to their own.

how come? the tron building is probably the coolest looking building in the city at night. and that works for busy downtown areas.
    You think RGB LEDs are cool, I think they're cheap & tacky. The "Tron Building" is about the exact opposite from my cup of tea & the tarted-up HLB is hideous in my books.

Purely subjective, each to their own.
    fair enough. i just think there needs to be more colour and lighting around town and at emerald it seems like maybe they get that. that's why i posted the old render. how the colour and light is generated doesn't matter to me. doesn't have to be LED. could just be a nice lighting set up

Last edited by DTrobotnik; 12-02-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    Does the colour show up a lot here at night? Honest question. I definitely agree with what you're saying in principle, but do coloured windows really make a difference at night? I'd argue that some sort of lighting scheme like lights on the HLB or the redo of the 109/Jasper tower would be more welcoming. I'm not sure you want a 45 storey tower dancing at night though.
    The final design is VERY similar to this, just with less colours and not as well executed (in my opinion). The night time back lighting will add an additional element but it's very hard to conceptualize what that will look like until it's installed.

doesn't have to be LED. could just be a nice lighting set up
    Exactly. Slapping RGB LEDs onto a building is the easy way out.

^ on some like mayfair and telus, yes. on tron/wsp, it works really well.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree here on the WSP building. I was mostly ambivalent about the reclad until they threw the LEDs on & now it looks tacky tacky tacky to me.

my guess is this is what they're going for. (battistella in calgary)

We're gonna have to agree to disagree here on the WSP building. I was mostly ambivalent about the reclad until they threw the LEDs on & now it looks tacky tacky tacky to me.
    I have to admit. That building screams Japan. I actually like it. China lights are in many occasions tacky and overkill, but I think the WSP building has a lot of Japanese flavour to it--both lighting and architecture. In fact, the logo itself almost seems to have a touch of it too.
    Last edited by RicoLance21; 12-02-2018 at 01:17 PM.

even though this one has offices behind the glass, if emerald devs could make the podium look like this at night, that would be rad

Yeah, don't mind a building here or there with it but yes there is a tackiness if there are too many buildings with it. Btw..The Telus building Xmas tree side lighting has got to go . Looks like old christmas decorations that were left in an attic for years..lol
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

Yeah, don't mind a building here or there with it but yes there is a tackiness if there are too many buildings with it. Btw..The Telus building Xmas tree side lighting has got to go . Looks like old christmas decorations that were left in an attic for years..lol
    i disagree , keep the telus trees. Theres a reason theyve been around since i can remember. There is no shame in character even if it comes along as "old" or "left in an attic for years".

While The Edge building is very well designed from an overall design standpoint, its connection at grade isn't great. The entire frontage along 104 Avenue has no entrances to help activate that portion of the block. Sure it has transparent glazing but I think they could have added an entrance and a glass canopy or something to provide weather protection for people.

To be fair it's facing a narrow sidewalk and a 6-lane arterial, and since the building is built just about to the property line there's not much they could do.

I hope it gets fixed if/when the LRT line makes the it obvious that the 3rd lane each way is unnecessary, there would be a whole lot more possibilities it it's 17' to traffic rather than 6'.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post

While The Edge building is very well designed from an overall design standpoint, its connection at grade isn't great. The entire frontage along 104 Avenue has no entrances to help activate that portion of the block. Sure it has transparent glazing but I think they could have added an entrance and a glass canopy or something to provide weather protection for people.
    Not only that Chris, everything else listed is the same as Pearl's podium. I don't get the complaints.

To be fair it's facing a narrow sidewalk and a 6-lane arterial, and since the building is built just about to the property line there's not much they could do.

I hope it gets fixed if/when the LRT line makes the it obvious that the 3rd lane each way is unnecessary, there would be a whole lot more possibilities it it's 17' to traffic rather than 6'.
    The profile of 104 Avenue will change once the LRT comes through. I believe the plan is for 104 Ave to be a 'grand boulevard' in the future. So no, that's no an excuse to ignore the interface along the avenue.

Most of the 'rants' about the Pearl is being produced by those who enjoy stirring up the pot. Well I think Pearl is a decent design overall it is by far the mess that some have claimed on this forum.
    Last edited by ChrisD; 13-02-2018 at 08:34 AM.

West Georgia is a 6 lane arterial. Issue here is that they wanted a very slim bookend project without the possibility for a setback to make it work. I would have set first two floors back a meter in the middle for a couple of meters to allow for some relief. That said, they needed all of the sqft they could get with this one.
    www.decl.org

^ What does West Georgia have to do with anything?

^^I don't know much about curtainwall - would it be difficult to retrofit new doors into the existing wall? You're right, when it's no longer a 6-lane traffic sewer there will be no excuse for the limited interaction.

^^^Back to Emerald: Street interaction and public realm on Emerald as on Pearl is fine. I won't complain about pearl existing but in both cases there are zoning rules on height and density that were "broken" via rezone, and in both cases there's no public benefit or design excellence to justify the exceptions made.

Emerald got lucky on their rezone. It appears to me that it was approved on a sort of petty tit-for-tat where if single family neighbourhoods have to take additional density via lot splitting and garage suites then oliver gets a 45story tower with above-grade parking, so there.

Meanwhile the actual oliver equivalent of garage suites, a planned revision to allow an additional handful of floors on all RA9 sites, is coming through now.
    There can only be one.

New images of tower on architect's website: https://www.der-architects.com/emeraldtower

I cannot seem to link them individually.

Tower is looking better and better.

It's improving. Although I can't see too much detail on the ground floor except for a portion of the SW and W elevation and it looks a little 'solid'. Regardless it will be nice to see this one move forward.

The coloured podium is much better.
    The main floor, looks similar to the Mayfair, but pretty hard to see so small.

The tower is pretty much at Ultima standards, or close to it. The colour parts are okay... but it just doesn’t seem like the right mix of colours to me. The retail base matches the tower, then this bright mix of primary colours in between. It just doesn’t quite work for me. I would rather see blues and greens and teal somewhat northern lights colours.
    Last edited by etownboarder; 22-02-2018 at 10:51 PM.

C2E SME

I like the way the balconies stand out.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

On my commute this afternoon I noticed some work being done. Seems like a small rectangular "hole" of some kind flanked by some blocks on the corner of Jasper Ave across from Shoppers drug mart. Some scaffolding work of some kind going on there.
    Last edited by envaneo; 22-02-2018 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^^yup, what a poorly designed tower awful street-level interaction.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...pg?format=500w
    ^^^absolutely beautiful !!

No underground parking means this could move quickly.

C2E SME

There is still underground parking, just not nearly as deep as it would be otherwise.

Ah. Gotcha. I could have sworn that this one wasn’t good to have ANY underground but clearly I misunderstood. Thanks.

Luckily we aren't allowing stuff like this yet. Tower in Austin with like a 6 story above ground parkade. Probably what it would look like with no underground.

If it's good enough for Austin....
    www.decl.org

What is the ETA for construction to begin?

'Spring' I was told.
    www.decl.org

Good to hear

I actually quite like this project but it’s probably because I love bright colours.

Why is everyone so concerned about the above ground parking though? Street front will still be active and if the developers don’t think the office space will lease up then I’d say it’s a smart move to start a project with some affordable living spaces in it.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    'Spring' I was told.
    Yes, I heard the same thing. And not from you

Hello, long time lurker here. Thought I would finally register an account so I could participate.

I walked by the Emerald site yesterday, and there were a couple land surveyors marking out property corners - presumably Pagnotta will be starting their layout soon.

I also saw a dude from Thurber collecting samples from the bottom of the recently excavated pit in the southwest corner of the site a couple hours later. I assume this had to do with soil reclamation, but can't say for sure. The geotech investigation must have been completed a while back, but maybe they needed some additional samples for foundation design checks/changes?

Anyways, hello to all you Edmonton construction nerds.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum.
    Ow

@FitzGer... Welcome.
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

Indeed welcome and awsome to know activity is heating up for this site.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvazquez7 View Post

You think the Edge Building has good street interaction? It has absolutely no doors on the 104 Avenue side, and I believe it just has one main door on the 107 Street side... Not that interactive, in my opinion.
    Yes I do. Would you put a main entrance onto the 5 foot sidewalk directly adjacent to the 7 lane drag strip that is 104 Ave? Only place to have an entrance is 107 St, unless you were to step back the building, which would prob be difficult given that the lot is like 25 feet wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Whattagame View Post
    I don't really follow the various developers, and couldn't say that I prefer any one over the rest, so I have no dog in the fight (re: Regency vs. the rest). But anyone that thinks that the Pearl isn't a fine addition to our skyline is simply looking for things to complain about. It's evident when posters wax architectural, and follow up by citing buildings with no street interaction as great examples of street interaction, or buildings like Hendrix as displaying skill in design.

It seems as though some have dug in their heels about anything related to Regency and are letting bias get the best of them (I may be misreading the room). For me, if a tower is executed as well as the Pearl, it will be a boon for the city.
    Hendrix no masterpiece but 100% better than the Pearl.

I am absolutely biased when it comes to Regency because everything they've ever built is trash with the exception of the Pearl which is a soft 5, and in the last year they've given to the city the glorious gifts of normalizing above grade parkades and demolishing one of the nicest buildings downtown because they're lazy and greedy.

I get you don't like Regency, but dont give me that crap of a 5 rating. List for me current active condos better than this aside from Ultima. One River Park is all stucco on the south Elevation as a high end. Honorable mention goes to Arcadia and the Carlisle which were built since the early 80s? Go ahead my friend and show us the beauty of Edmonton as i have witnessed non activity since 1982 until 2004. List gorgeous towers in this city please. The platform is yours to put me and other forumers in our place.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast