Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre | Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    ^ Yes, I know. Bye Bye cheap quality footwear.

Bonnie Doon has crappy luck. Sears, Target, and if you go back far enough, Consumers Distributing all closed due to poor management by their Head Offices.
    Was there a Consumers Distributing in the mall? I only remember the one on 50Th St, just East of Capital Mall.
    Capilano?

Thare was also one in WEM as well as North Town.

There was another on 104th street and about 54th ave
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Sorry, I wasn’t meaning to imply that was the only CD in the city, just in the East part of Edmonton, I was only aware of the one on 50st. Sorry, my comment was very misleading.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

No need to apologize, we are just adding to the C2E wealth of Edmonton history.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

When Boonie Doon was renovated in the early nineties, CD took the spot that used to be Johnstone Walker/Sears furniture and appliance store.

^ You are absolutely correct!

And since you know the history, do you remember the old Johnstone Walker/Sears furniture layout had a lower floor? Kind of a half basement den where you had to go down 6 steps?

I am sure that lower portion still exists, but it must of been covered over since Consumers moved in.
    Last edited by North Guy66; 30-03-2019 at 10:47 PM.

The store was split level, it had a half lower floor and a half upper floor. When it was JW, the lower floor was where they sold children's wear. Half of the upper level had a restaurant with a freestanding fire place in the middle. Eventually they closed the restaurant, and moved shoes, handbags and accessories into the space. The other half of that level was where they had; china, crystal, giftware etc.

When Sears Furniture and Appliances moved in, the upper floor was for living room/bedroom furniture and major appliances. The lower level was for televisions, vacuum cleaners and smaller electronics. I remember buying my girlfriend a $70 answering machine there in 1995 (both have long disappeared!).

Still I am curious if that lower level is utilized today at the mall?
    Last edited by North Guy66; 31-03-2019 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    There was a development notice for the mall in today's Edm Journal.
    Just want to bump this. I appreciate the work going into this project and the community outreach the team has undertaken.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E Long Term Contributor
    You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Amazing site to add density and a more urban context...personally, I cannot wait.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea. - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Yeahhh! The bowling stays!

Dave Sutherland, civics director with the Holyrood community league, spoke to council at the public hearing, largely in support of the project.

He agreed Morguard did a good job of consulting the public.

"They obviously heard loud and clear grocery store top priority, bowling alley second priority, lots of parks and green space, lots of opportunities to gather and shop."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...mall-1.5099471

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Very cool!

Dave Sutherland, civics director with the Holyrood community league, spoke to council at the public hearing, largely in support of the project.

"They obviously heard loud and clear — grocery store top priority, bowling alley second priority, lots of parks and green space, lots of opportunities to gather and shop."

How? That's impressive, it looks like it's under the road?

I suspect a platform similiar to ID in built form with a huge underground, so the bowling alley could very easily be right under the road. This would be twice ID size.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post

"They obviously heard loud and clear — grocery store top priority, bowling alley second priority, lots of parks and green space, lots of opportunities to gather and shop."

How? That's impressive, it looks like it's under the road?
    I imagine a new building will be built for the bowling alley.

The mall is so old, it's not worth keeping the bowling alley in the current underground of Bonnie Doon. Years ago when I worked at the Albert's, the bowling management would complain because at times water would drip on the bowling lanes after a downpour or a backed up sewer. It can cost up to $15,000 to replace those maple/pine wood floors.
    Last edited by North Guy66; 15-04-2019 at 11:18 PM.

If half of this gets built I'd be happy.
    I also wish the city would work with developers not fight them. If the developer is digging down for parkades, they could have easy dug a trench for the LRT and have the station better integrate with the development. But nope we get yet another disjointed Southgate or Century Park

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    I also wish the city would work with developers not fight them. If the developer is digging down for parkades, they could have easy dug a trench for the LRT and have the station better integrate with the development. But nope we get yet another disjointed Southgate or Century Park
    The only problem is, that these projects seem to take decades. Do we wait to build the LRT until shovels hit the ground? I agree with you, it's just not practical.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Because they are hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars, if not more and a 10-20year timeline.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

So when they say shovels could be in the ground by next year, I wonder which building on the site plan are they reffering to that they will start with?

I believe on the north/east side of the property.
    www.decl.org

Disjointed? It goes building frontage or plaza then city sidewalk, then LRT platform. That's pretty seamless.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Do they need to get DP's for each individual building? I would hope we'd get a little more detail on each one before it's approved.
    They could start buildings B1-3 next year no problem.
    Anyone know if the above ground parkade will be free? Would be ashame to lose library attendance due to pay parking. There's so few stalls in front of it in the plan, they'd be easily taken up by the health centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    The only problem is, that these projects seem to take decades. Do we wait to build the LRT until shovels hit the ground? I agree with you, it's just not practical.
    So you think nothing should get built until shovels are in the ground at Bonnie Don, Hollyrood. Strathern and Mill Woods Town Centre? Or maybe four out of five have started? We would be waiting forever nothing would get done.
    Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,-Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    So you think nothing should get built until shovels are in the ground at Bonnie Don, Hollyrood. Strathern and Mill Woods Town Centre? Or maybe four out of five have started? We would be waiting forever nothing would get done.
    I'm not sure what you're asking me. Do I think the LRT construction should wait for the developments to commence? The answer is no if that is what you are asking. My only point was that it is difficult to integrate the LRT into this future development and quite impractical considering there is a mall there.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

The LRT is at-grade, there is nothing to integrate.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Id say the original post was pointing at the potential of an underground station and bypass of the traffic circle had timing been coordinated with the developer. However something like this development is decades down the road. Id love to be proven wrong as its gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I believe on the north/east side of the property.
    Yes they are starting N, the last building to go will be where Safeway is. The developer is aiming at a 20-30 year buildout. This project will effectively double the population of Bonnie doone as it stands now to apx 10,000

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Id say the original post was pointing at the potential of an underground station and bypass of the traffic circle had timing been coordinated with the developer. However something like this development is decades down the road. Id love to be proven wrong as its gorgeous.
    The traffic circle is going bye bye. There wont be anything to bypass.

C2E SME

There is no need to wait for developers to build since we already have communities all along the LRT route. Its just that now we will eventually see much more density to some of the station locations.
    Well I do hope we can see some distinct progress on this project sooner than later.

I dont think the owners can afford not to do something. Its a huge chunk of land they pay tax and upkeep on and its woefully under utilized.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Do they need to get DP's for each individual building? I would hope we'd get a little more detail on each one before it's approved.
    They could start buildings B1-3 next year no problem.
    Anyone know if the above ground parkade will be free? Would be ashame to lose library attendance due to pay parking. There's so few stalls in front of it in the plan, they'd be easily taken up by the health centre.
    Yes, they still need to apply for their development permit for every building they plan to build. Lot's of work left to do with this...nevermind the underground infrastructure, etc.

My point was if we work with developers not against them there are many synergies that can be advantageous to both. For example EPCOR tower allowed us to save some money on the NAIT line.
    We could say if you dig a trench for the LRT we can give you rights to allow parking over or under the train tunnel.

The full build out is not supposed to be complete until 2047, according to Morguard.

They also have some details on the street shapes and layouts.

It's too bad they never quite live up to the hype around Edmonton.

I would take that as-is.

At least they have a reasonable timeline for build out, unlike Century Park... where in 2006, they thought they would be fully complete 6-8 years later LOLLLLL

Every developer thought and felt that way. Their first building sold out in 1 day then came the 2008 mortgage scandal/American recession...
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

C2E SME

Well I just hope that they actually start moving forward with this. The plan looks great but will only be good if it actually gets built.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Well I just hope that they actually start moving forward with this. The plan looks great but will only be good if it actually gets built.
    Again.. they cant afford not to move forward and as other people have pointed out they hope to have shovels in the ground... this year I believe

The existing lrt construction already makes the area difficult to navigate. I imagine if construction start is delayed at all... it will be due to this.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

The full build out is not supposed to be complete until 2047, according to Morguard.

This really does look like a great idea... Seriously. Edmonton could have great TOD's. I imagine something like south Vancouver with their new Canada line link... A lot of new areas have popped up because of the train there. I was recently near King Edward station and that area has really changed in only a few years. Of course, I'm skeptical that BDC will end up looking exactly like this... But I live literally a block east of this illustration in a house and already 2 doors down from me is a multi-family apartment building. I used to live on the north side, near NAIT station, and I feel this neighbourhood is way more ripe for upscale redevelopment than there. Definitely around Gateway and 104 street was always going to be more dense then here but then again this train link is going to make a big difference when it's actually done in the next couple years.

The Bonnie Doon mall is almost dead except for the food court, however I felt a sense that it can be transformed into something truly great.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    The Bonnie Doon mall is almost dead except for the food court, however I felt a sense that it can be transformed into something truly great.
    Really?

"The full build out is not supposed to be complete until 2047, according to Morguard."

By then of course I will be in the next galaxy, looking at the bright lights of Bonnie Soon. I wonder what the 5 year plan is.

My Mom said today that there's some kind of school in the Sears space.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

^ She is correct. Its MaKami College.

C2E Continued Contributor

Your "mom" said? Wow, you truly are indeed a "spudly." I take it for granted that most of us on here have have had our nuts drop already......lol

My Mom said recently more and more neighbours (Baby Boomers) have been talking positively about the redevelopment and about the LRT (though they gripe about constrcution) but as they age-in-place in the area they look forward to something that is more benefitial than the mall and neighbourhood that has largely remained as-is since they grew up in the area in the 60's.

Positive to hear area residents and those of that demographic are looking forward to changes.

Even my pre-Boomer Mom talked about being interested in moving into something like what's proposed, wistfully though, since she knows she may not live long enough for it to be an option.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by geordieinthecity View Post

This really does look like a great idea... Seriously. Edmonton could have great TOD's. I imagine something like south Vancouver with their new Canada line link... A lot of new areas have popped up because of the train there. I was recently near King Edward station and that area has really changed in only a few years. Of course, I'm skeptical that BDC will end up looking exactly like this... But I live literally a block east of this illustration in a house and already 2 doors down from me is a multi-family apartment building. I used to live on the north side, near NAIT station, and I feel this neighbourhood is way more ripe for upscale redevelopment than there. Definitely around Gateway and 104 street was always going to be more dense then here but then again this train link is going to make a big difference when it's actually done in the next couple years.
    The King Edward/Cambie area developed fast cause the area had been rezoned decades ago and developers didn't have to jump through hoops to rezone, they just had to buy up the houses and get their designs approved. Same goes for South Granville/Marpole and Oak Street south areas, SFH are being replaced by townhouses and apartments like crazy cause the area was rezoned decades ago and now developers want to redevelop and can do without years of trying to get it started.

This Bonnie Doon looks pretty good. Long buildouts suck but we have a few in Burnaby that won't be complete till the 2030's

C2E Continued Contributor

^They weren't rezoned, they were designated for higher density under the Cambie Corridor Plan. They still had to go through the rezoning process, they just had justification from the city to do so.

The issue is that in Edmonton until there are restrictions on greenfield it will always be easier and cheaper to built new suburbs than infill development. Because of the geographic restrictions and the ALR infill development is bascially the only new development happening in Vancouver.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Your "mom" said? Wow, you truly are indeed a "spudly." I take it for granted that most of us on here have have had our nuts drop already......lol
    hahahaha holy shiiiit this guy a dicccccck

A commentary on malls in general but with a particular focus on Bonnie Doon

Transforming cities can start with transforming malls, say planners

C2E SME

So I find it funny that they have opened the new permanent entrance to the mall parking lot in front of Makami (former Sears) but they have also kept open the old entrance still open just yards away to the south.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E SME

They’ll close that when the LRT gets done.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E SME

Funny thing is though, if they close it now they can actually get more work done.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345