Thread: Artery apparently finds new home, pending City approvals

Partially Addicted to C2E

Default Artery apparently finds new home, pending City approvals

This is great news for the local music scene and tight community in the core; any ideas/ thoughts on where it is?
    https://twitter.com/ArteryEdmonton/s...52185602748417
    "Its not where you go, but how you get there"

C2E Long Term Contributor

Excellent news, curious as well.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I don't know exactly where, but apparently we can narrow it down to places with a pre-Second World War doorbell...
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Heard it was in more of a warehouse-type building.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

I heard they were looking at several locations around Boyle Street. Congrats to them and the local arts community.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I'm curious too, where they will be going? Hopefully somewhere that other businesses could set up shop nearby and help to establish pedestrian, restaurant, café activity.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Im hoping its in the same area (Boyle/ Mcauley); theres something about the character of the area. Should fit in with all the work being done there.
    "Its not where you go, but how you get there"

I'm hearing Artery is going to land in the 124 Street area. Not sure where though.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

Great location for them, just watch out for NIMBYS who think urban businesses should have suburban levels of parking.
    www.decl.org

The NIMBY's have every right to crow - fill yer boots. Doesn't mean the city has to capitulate. The city needs to stop talking out of both sides of its face on these issues.

New Edmonton cafe/venue stymied by city's parking requirements
    http://edmontonjournal.com/entertain...g-requirements

All Philip Muz wants to do is run a music venue, but the City of Edmonton keeps thwarting him.

His old spot, The ARTery, was evicted from its downtown building in March to make way for impending LRT construction.

Muz is now hoping to open an all-ages café/music venue, The Aviary, at 9314 111th Ave., but the city recently denied his development permit because the location doesn’t have any parking stalls.

The city says his business needs to provide 26 stalls. He says that doesn’t make sense because there are at least 30 metered parking spots and more than 100 free spots nearby. Plus, the Stadium LRT station is about a 10-minute walk east of The Aviary’s proposed home.

Muz said his café/venue would only have capacity for 100 people.

“There have been restaurants and bars without as many parking stalls on that strip before, so how did they get to open?” he said. “We want the same exact (business) licence as they had.”
    Its things like this that sometimes makes me believe that this city's administration is being run by Basil Fawlty.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Posting Power
    YEG: Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley | YLW: Shannon Lake | PHX: San Tan Valley

Norwood Blvd would be officially on the upswing in my mind if this venue opened. The city can't afford to let this go on that desolate strip.

It's such a cop out in a way. I have an income property in McCauley which I put a legal suite into. It's 1 block from where The Aviary would be. I went to SDAB for a parking variance which they granted and stated "Downtown has no parking restrictions, and McCauley is slowly being absorbed into Downtown, so we must be flexible". Plus I argued that many of my perspective renters may rely on the excellent transit or walk from the property which has a WalkScore of 90.

The cop out in my mind is that this building is officially in Alberta Avenue - and they may not see AA as "being absorbed by Downtown" like McCauley allegedly is in SDAB's mind.

The irony is I think the types of people living and investing in Alberta Avenue/McCauley/Parkdale are the perfect demographic for this venue. I hope the city doesn't F this up - Norwood Blvd could do with some congestion and parking issues in my mind.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Development officers don't just get to decide what items in the bylaw to follow and what not to follow. The parking requirements are in there. To have them relaxed would require a rezoning or a variances, and it its likely a large enough variance that would require an automatic refusal, thus theyd' need to go to the SDAB.

Not just City admin refusing them because they feel like.

Yes, unfortunately, this is not a fault of the administration. In the past when admin didn't follow the bylaw, someone got fired. So Artery will have to jump through the same hoops as anyone else. They are not being singled out.

However, trust me that this is on everyone's radar and are doing whatever they can in admin to try to make sure this doesn't continue to happen. The problem is parking minimums must change and that require significant consulation with local communities, some of which are resistant to change. The City is working on a pilot project to change parking minimums in Oliver and 124 Street, that should come out sometime around Feb 2016. After that they plan to look how that works and maybe try looking at other areas like Norwood Blvd.
    www.decl.org

Thankfully, many parking requirements in our most urban areas are being (hopefully) changed by a factor of 10.
    www.decl.org

^Not quite by 10, and only for certain uses in commercial areas so far. Anything else requires further consultation.
    www.decl.org

^nearly 10
    www.decl.org

I would hardly call this 'urban', but regardless, I really really hope this finds a way to happen.

That neighbourhood is on the upswing, and it's getting virtually zero uplift from New Castledowns (i.e., Blatchford.) This would help immensely.
    Let's make Edmonton better.