Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Excessively loud cars/bikes + inconsiderate drivers

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Excessively loud cars/bikes + inconsiderate drivers

Can someone explain to me the significant rise in jerkoffs at 11pm-3am with their cars/bikes downtown with 140dB exhausts?

This weekend was ridiculous.

*for full disclosure I have a 105dB for track use, but a silencer for the city which complies with 95dB and I am not a complete dick later hours.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I live next to 109th Street and last summer I've observed these people *starting* at 1:00 am. I guess it's more pleasurable to roar down the street towards High Level bridge when there's less traffic.

Last night, though, it was a constant roar for several hours.

I don't understand it either. Some of them are louder than sirens.

highlander

It should be legal to shoot rocket-propelled grenades at those cars.

Or at least a potato gun.

It's an enjoyable fantasy, anyway.

This is by far the worst I have heard in ten years downtown...
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I haven't noticed it being any worse this year. But then again, I got my AC fixed so my windows aren't open as much. It's always been an issue, for sure. And for full disclosure I also have an aftermarket can on my sport bike. I keep missing the EPS testing days to see if it's excessive. But in any case, I never ride my motorcycle after dark, and I try to keep it reasonable on the throttle and gearing.

Have they resolved the issue about being able to enforce noise limits though? I thought that the motorcycle people were successful in making them go back and re-write the bylaws to make them less discriminatory.

Would be good news for me because I wouldn't mind some of the modified cars and trucks being fined also.

I definitely heard them last night. Ugh.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

I agree with Marcel, about the same as previous years. I live close enough to the Low Level and James MacDonald Bridges to hear the Small Penis Syndrome sufferers rip with their after-market exhausts and booming stereos.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Can someone explain to me the significant rise in jerkoffs at 11pm-3am with their cars/bikes downtown with 140dB exhausts?

*for full disclosure I have a 105dB for track use, but a silencer for the city which complies with 95dB and I am not a complete dick later hours.
    I agree 100%, we currently live on the 103 Street hill so get to hear them doing laps up and down different roads. Would be nice if EPS did a stop one night to check noise and ask what the heck they are doing.
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

...and yes, stereos as well.

I can live with some noise and fun daytime, but 2am 50 cent is rightfully annoying.

Time to get me my rocking chair and shotgun.
    www.decl.org

Re: the laps up and down different roads.

It's nothing I can prove without a lot more energy than I have in the wee hours, but I sense that a lot of the noise past my place is repeat laps also. There are some vehicles with a very distinctive sound that I hear at intervals.

Police are too busy raking in money on window tints and 1km/h over photo radar speeding fines to bother inspecting exhaust pipes.

I agree that this year is the worst I have ever experienced. Sounds like street racing or something going on downtown every night, especially on the weekend. If the police want to do something useful, but still get their fine income, they should sit at the top of 105 street and inspect all the jacked up trucks, boy racers, and motorcycles that drive past. Bonus points for giving out fines for badly installed HID lights and suspension lift kits.

Re: Eve

Have they resolved the issue about being able to enforce noise limits though? I thought that the motorcycle people were successful in making them go back and re-write the bylaws to make them less discriminatory.

Would be good news for me because I wouldn't mind some of the modified cars and trucks being fined also.
    Nothing discriminatory about targeting these people. ANY exhaust that increases noise is an explicit violation of the AB Vehicle Equipment Violation.

Section 61:

(2) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled
    by an internal combustion engine if the exhaust outlet of the
    muffler has been widened.
    (3) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled
    by an internal combustion engine if a device is attached to the
    exhaust system or the muffler that increases the noise made by the
    expulsion of gases from the engine
    or allows a flame to be ignited
    from the exhaust system.
    Don't mistake inaction for having a valid reason. It is sheer unwillingness to keep these people in check, nothing more. The same goes for HID lights and suspension downgrades (ie lift kits). Blatantly illegal, extremely easy to spot, but zero enforcement. Muffler modifications harm neighbourhoods with terrible noise. Improper HID lights are seriously dangerous - they blind people. Suspension lifts cause fatalities - they make trucks lethal death machines that plow right into windshields instead of safety bumpers.

The worst part is that police seem jubilant to enforce technical laws on completely victimless violations such as 1km/h speeding fines and extremely light (sometimes LEGAL) window tints. I wonder why? Perhaps they are easier to enforce? Perhaps they get a kick out of enforcing crimes against people who hurt absolutely no one? Couldn't say.
    Last edited by Jaerdo; 08-06-2015 at 11:37 AM.

'If the police want to do something useful, but still get their fine income, they should sit at the top of 105 street and inspect all the jacked up trucks, boy racers, and motorcycles that drive past.'

I am requesting this again, or at the very least Radar at the top for that crosswalk is still very dangerous.
    www.decl.org

^ I would like to see a permanent radar box at the top, and a speed bump for good measure right after the intersection to stop the inevitable red line revving as they get back up to dangerous speeds 5 seconds later.

jaerdo, can you please prove the police are pulling people over for 1km/h? I know you can't... Cause they aren't (and you couldn't prove this in the speeding/photo radar thread either... but you keep repeating it). nice try though. Word of mouth doesn't count as evidence. A ticket with redacted personal info please.

Looks like I was wrong prior to 2014, they cut off at 5 km/h hour. Still, 13.1% of all tickets given are for 6km/h to 10km/h, which is a negligible amount not worthy for a ticket 99% of the time. The City has refused to release info from this year on under 5km/h tickets. Guess we will find out when someone's FOIP request goes through.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1803298/la...r-speed-limit/

In the 2014 period, six-to-10-km/h tickets accounted for 13.1 per cent of the total number of photo-radar tickets, compared to just 2.9 per cent in 2013.
    My point remains about jacked up trucks, HID lights, and boy racers. The jacked up trucks and HID lights are far more dangerous than almost any speeding on any road. A collision far under the speed limit (even parking lot speed) could be fatal with a truck lifted above bumper height. Yet, police completely ignore them - wonder why?
    Last edited by Jaerdo; 08-06-2015 at 12:01 PM.

6 to 10 over in a 30 zone is more than a negligible amount which is where the bulk of those tickets are issued.

I'm okay with your points about other noisy vehicles, racers, ricers, illegally jacked up trucks and HID lights where they dont belong.

I don't want to get in an argument again about photo radar, I'm sure you remember I am skeptical to say the least over whether or not it is effective vs traffic calming.

I'm glad we agree on the trucks and "race" cars. Something needs to be done about them - they are a scourge.

highlander

The Solution:
    These speedbumps.

Jaredo, I'll agree to drop the speeding part from this conversation, and also agree with you that the Police need to do more enforcement that just the odd check stop and speeding violations.

I'd personally love to see a crack down on people that follow too closely, illegal lanes changes, on noise violations from all types of vehicles, illegal and often dangerous modifications (height or otherwise) to trucks and cars and I wish there could be some sort of enforcement on people who merge badly (though this might be only solved with better education and mandatory training/re-testing (like a certain age intervals)

Traffic safety needs to be more than just a security guard sitting in a truck on the side of the road while a computer flashes pictures of violators.

C2E SME

'If the police want to do something useful, but still get their fine income, they should sit at the top of 105 street and inspect all the jacked up trucks, boy racers, and motorcycles that drive past.'

I am requesting this again, or at the very least Radar at the top for that crosswalk is still very dangerous.
    Yeah, when I'm coming up that hill and slow/stop for a pedestrian, I make sure I'm looking in my rear view and ready to blast the horn to warn of an impending collision as someone races up the hill at speed without stopping. The sight lines aren't great for either drivers or pedestrians, but people simply need to slow down as they crest the hill, whether the lights are flashing or not.

This thread is about excessive noise, please stick to that.
    www.decl.org

Gotta love those harleys. They take off from a dead-stop slower than a freight train and slip the clutch so their straight pipes can be heard in a 10km radius.

Think the next worst has to be the modded diesel trucks. You not only hear but you FEEL the truck a mile away due to the deep, low engine notes.

The excessive noise problem isn't just a downtown issue. These jerks are everywhere.

Alright... noise... excessive noise. It was one of the reasons that drove me away from living downtown.

Typical noise day in my 15 years living downtown:
    3 PM - 7 PM the roar of the rush hour, sirens, honking. Often much louder than the previous morning rush hour - never understood why.
    7 PM - 930 PM and often much later. the roar of the douches on loud bikes, jacked up trucks and tincan ricers parading along and between jasper and whyte avenue
    930 PM - 330 AM more of the above, but now add in more sirens, lots of drunk yelling,screaming, fighting, breaking stuff. Add in the lovely and comforting sounds of a police helicopter roaming between downtown night hot spots and 118 Ave.
    330 AM - 430 AM "The silent hour" interrupted by the occasional bottle collectors shopping cart carting its way up and down the back alleys, sidewalks and side streets looking for their 5 and 10 cent treasures, often drunk and loud, or angry because they aren't.
    5 AM - 7 AM Garbage pick-ups. Large metal bins being picked up, dumped, dropped, pushed back into place. Beep....Beep Beep. Not just one day a week either, because the building across the way has pickups on T&T, and the other one on M&W&F. Snow removal and land maintenance. Not once a week either. The city clears the road days after, but each condo and apartment has their own schedule. Sure, the suburbs deal with some of these snow / land maintenance noise too, but rarely this early or often, and isn't done with a bobcat and loud equipment
    7 AM - 9 AM One can almost sleep to this. It's a pretty even dull hum, almost like whitenoise - the morning commute into downtown...
    9 AM - 3 PM Probably the most ideal time to sleep noise wise - if one didn't have to work...
    Last edited by Medwards; 08-06-2015 at 06:14 PM. Reason: words

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    The excessive noise problem isn't just a downtown issue. These jerks are everywhere.
    yes, but jerks love to come downtown to patrol the streets showing off their stuff and how cool they look\sound in them. What better place that Jasper Ave or Whyte Ave.

C2E Super Addict

I can live with some noise and fun daytime, but 2am 50 cent is rightfully annoying.

Not everyone is cut out to live in a city Ian. Have you considered a move to the suburbs? Possibly more conducive to someone with a delicate disposition...

It's not that Edmonton is any more or less noisy than most other cities, it's more likely that some notice the contrast between the winter months (dead) and the relatively "lively" summer months.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

It's just typical anti-social behaviour, not unique to downtown Edmonton. I hear cars racing around here all the time, and small towns in Alberta can be even worse because they contrast against the more quiet background more. In Sylvan Lake, even with a city-wide 40 km/h limit you can hear trucks ripping up and down all night long.

I actually like the white noise of downtown, not much bothers mem but barleys at 2am or 50cent at 3 at club levels is just inconsiderate. We need far greater levels of respect ^in this Country, it is often quite appalling.

This is not a downtown thing, nor whyte, nor riverbend road... It is a citywide issue and should be addressed as such.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post

Not everyone is cut out to live in a city Ian. Have you considered a move to the suburbs? Possibly more conducive to someone with a delicate disposition...

It's not that Edmonton is any more or less noisy than most other cities, it's more likely that some notice the contrast between the winter months (dead) and the relatively "lively" summer months.
    I guarantee you it is louder than Van or Toronto. We have a much higher level of entitlement, big pickups, bikes per capita and low levels of traffic ie. More places to be idiots.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Alright... noise... excessive noise. It was one of the reasons that drove me away from living downtown.

Typical noise day in my 15 years living downtown:
    3 PM - 7 PM the roar of the rush hour, sirens, honking. Often much louder than the previous morning rush hour - never understood why.
    7 PM - 930 PM and often much later. the roar of the douches on loud bikes, jacked up trucks and tincan ricers parading along and between jasper and whyte avenue
    930 PM - 330 AM more of the above, but now add in more sirens, lots of drunk yelling,screaming, fighting, breaking stuff. Add in the lovely and comforting sounds of a police helicopter roaming between downtown night hot spots and 118 Ave.
    330 AM - 430 AM "The silent hour" interrupted by the occasional bottle collectors shopping cart carting its way up and down the back alleys, sidewalks and side streets looking for their 5 and 10 cent treasures, often drunk and loud, or angry because they aren't.
    5 AM - 7 AM Garbage pick-ups. Large metal bins being picked up, dumped, dropped, pushed back into place. Beep....Beep Beep. Not just one day a week either, because the building across the way has pickups on T&T, and the other one on M&W&F. Snow removal and land maintenance. Not once a week either. The city clears the road days after, but each condo and apartment has their own schedule. Sure, the suburbs deal with some of these snow / land maintenance noise too, but rarely this early or often, and isn't done with a bobcat and loud equipment
    7 AM - 9 AM One can almost sleep to this. It's a pretty even dull hum, almost like whitenoise - the morning commute into downtown...
    9 AM - 3 PM Probably the most ideal time to sleep noise wise - if one didn't have to work...
    Not everyone is cut out to live in a city Meds. Good thing you considered a move to the suburbs. Possibly more conducive to someone with a delicate disposition...
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Not everyone is cut out to live in a city Meds. Good thing you considered a move to the suburbs. Possibly more conducive to someone with a delicate disposition...
    interesting... I still live in the city IanO, even if you don't consider it to be part of it.

Oh it is apart of it and it has idiots being loud idiots as well. Let's make the entire city a better place.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

Loud is loud anywhere, but I think it tends to be amplified, with a degree of added reverberation from what I term the 'concrete canyons' of downtown.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Indeed, and I'll add to the noise complaints with nonstop hours of Ambulances, fire trucks, police cars with sirens on at all hours. I understand emergency services and need and all but WTF it sounds like a war zone happening. Its completely shocking how many sirens occur now on a weekend. obviously emergent oriented but what the hell is going on out there? Sometimes you just wonder at the amount of it. Also what proportion are being crank calls, false alarms etc. Its off the charts this year. Like nothing I've heard before. Are the sirens travelling longer distance? Some change in amplification, volume?
    That and the Police chopter doing its endless rotations and guys gunning bikes, rods around its ridiculous even in the burbs.

I don't even want to get into the brand of people that holler back and forth while walking around at 2am. yeah I know you're drunk, I know you're a dick. STFU while people are trying to sleep.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Partially Addicted to C2E

^ I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's noticed what seems like a huge increase in emergency vehicles and sirens this year. Some days it seems as if this city's gone bats#!t crazy.

I have slept at night with windows open in downtown Vancouver, London, Paris, Glasgow, Edinburgh, NYC.

The only place that rivaled Edmonton in noise levels was NYC, and that was due to sirens alone. Edmonton has the most "douchemobiles" cruising downtown of any city I have ever had the pleasure of spending time in.

I think the culprit is our road system. We STILL have a straight out of the 60s Robert Moses esque obsession with the idea that downtown should be accessible and smooth flowing for cars. Our downtown roads are too wide, there is too much parking, and it is too easy to drive through.

If we want less road noise, we need to cut down how easy it is to cruise through downtown. The core should be a destination, not a route somewhere else. It should not be 6-8 lane roads perfect for fast cruising on a ridiculous straight pipe harley or 6 inch lift kit ram.

Thank you, Bingo, ^this!
    www.decl.org

I dont buy that. I'll agree that for other reasons, it would be nice to cut down lanes, and make downtown less of a throughfare, but this won't cut down on the douchemobiles and the noise they make. Jasper avenue is where these douches go to the show off their douchemobiles.... that wont change. You can take away parking, you can take away straight roads, you can take away all the parking... but you haven't taken away the douches or their mobiles, or their desire to show them off to as many people as possible... Add in more lights, and its just another light to rev your engine at, and race on green to the next intersection, repeat for 30+ blocks
    Last edited by Medwards; 09-06-2015 at 09:05 AM.

C2E SME

A few weekends of the EPS pulling over idiots and giving them stunting tickets (or failing to yield to pedestrians at the Oliver and Whyte crosswalks) might send a bit of a message. You'll never completely get rid of it, but every dummy knows that there is virtually zero traffic enforcement outside of high volume, low accident thoroughfares like the Henday, Whitemud and Yellowhead, and it's been that way for decades.

^EPS doing crosswalk, radar and noise on Jasper and Whyte would be nice.... but also on 105st top of the hill and 109st from 97ave-100ave.
    www.decl.org

Make sure you call your councillor and request a checkstop be set up. Can't hurt to put the request in.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Did last night.
    www.decl.org

DECL will be discussing this at our board meeting this week; personally i'd like to get Rossdale, Boyle and Oliver involved and collectively lobby Council, bylaw and the EPS to do more about this issue.
    www.decl.org

^ I know this is not noise related, but if you are talking to them about enforcement can you please bring up issue of lifted trucks / illegal headlights. This is more than a pet-peeve, I am terrified that a family member will be killed by what would otherwise be a fender bender from one of these trucks plowing through their windshield.

^ I consider the issue related, Jaerdo. It's a vanity thing just like roaring through town waking the neighbors. In fact, a Venn diagram of the two groups would probably find an overlap at least for the full-size vehicles.

I have a slightly lowered S2000 that is very low to begin with... when I pull up to a stock F150 its bumper is at my head, lifted ones would be a big foot on me.
    www.decl.org

Agreed about road infrastructure being an issue. When I sit on a patio somewhere on Rice Howard Way or 4th St Promenade, I don't really hear much of the noisy vehicles except for what leaks through from 100 St or Jasper Ave because RHW and 4th St are not conducive for alpha male vehicular posturing. But on a patio on Whyte Ave or Jasper Ave, it can be an issue.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 09-06-2015 at 01:31 PM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Like everything in Alberta, it's all about the money per capita. D-bag with high school education makes big money on a rig, immediately blows it on down payment for over-sized truck, throws in extra for aftermarket muffler and lift kit mods, and generic window stickers to match his personality, and then takes his depreciating asset downtown to show off how successful he is. Hey everyone, look at me!

In some ways I'm glad. If they spent their money on real things, I'd be priced out of Alberta.
    Last edited by Snake Eyes; 09-06-2015 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norender View Post
    ^ I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's noticed what seems like a huge increase in emergency vehicles and sirens this year. Some days it seems as if this city's gone bats#!t crazy.
    So again last night the firetrucks were out in force at 5:30 AM blaring until nearly 6am. Going where? To what? Never know. Woke up the whole family and it was loud. Seemed like half a dozen or more fire trucks responding to the same thing. But also seemed like you could hear them for miles. Again I ask if anybody is aware if emergency vehicles have suddenly been using louder sirens or sirens that sound at a greater distance. If they are its sure working. But really how many other people are even on the roads at 5:30 am. Do the sirens have to be on continuously or just at intersections. They were also honking their very loud horns.
    Is this the new deal now in the city. Buy a home, pay property tax, but have police helicopters, douches, emergency vehicles waking you up every night? In the suburbs?

I wouldn't be complaining about this except we've been woken up 3 nights in the last 5 by emergency vehicles.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I am almost never awakened by sirens, garbage trucks and loud music at 3am yes.
    www.decl.org

I have a slightly lowered S2000 that is very low to begin with... when I pull up to a stock F150 its bumper is at my head, lifted ones would be a big foot on me.

oh, you again... what this time?
    www.decl.org

Don't do as I do.

Do as I say.

C2E Super Addict

So you've modified your car to make it more vulnerable in a collision with standard production vehicles?... Oh well, Darwin Award recipient in waiting I guess.
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

^perhaps you missed the bit. I have a silencer in my can to bring it to acceptable levels for the city and then removable for track days etc.

Headlights are still within the allowable heights as set out by AB and my HIDs are factory and aligned correctly.

Yes I enjoy spirited driving and yes at 9000 rpm my motorcy-car makes noise, but I do not act like a jerkass when I drive nor do I find the need to do so at later hours of the night or morning.
    www.decl.org

So you've modified your car to make it more vulnerable in a collision with standard production vehicles?... Oh well, Darwin Award recipient in waiting I guess.
    No, I have kept it within regulations.

Anyways, back to noise.
    Last edited by IanO; 09-06-2015 at 02:21 PM.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Don't do as I do.

Do as I say.

C2E Continued Contributor

My only beef with noise downtown when I lived there in 2005, was the harleys reving their engines. I found it far more irritating than sirens, because of the fact that they were doing it just to be jackasses. In the summer, sometimes you just have to open the windows to keep cool, but then these bikes would take off from the lights on 109st, and would drown out everything in the apartment.

Let me give everyone a quick rundown of noise over the past week in my burb (I'm about 1km on the outer side of AHD).

Fire truck sirens - one daytime occurrence on a street approx. 750m away.
    Loud cars/bikes - four, three evenings and one at 1am. Closest? The 1am on an adjacent street.
    Police chopper - three times to my knowledge. It's not particularly loud as far as helicopters go.

That's it. Nothing I could call an annoyance. I like it out here.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

When I lived in Grand Central Manor II, there was a guy in Grand Central Manor I with a suped-up Honda Civic that you could hear for BLOCKS. I'd often hear him leave, drive along 109 st, turn right on Jasper Ave, drive for a bit, and then come back. One day I counted 14 trips like this. I was fairly certain he was a drug dealer given the short drives, the short amount of time spent away, and the frequency of them.

I don't hear too many motorcycles along my part of Whyte Ave, probably because there's no one to show off for, but along the "trendy" part of Whyte it seems pretty bad this year. Lots of loud motorcycles showing off for people. I wonder whether a lot of the Whyte Ave motorcycle noise would be gone if that Timmy's ever closed.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

^^

Any firefights Howie ?

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    When I lived in Grand Central Manor II, there was a guy in Grand Central Manor I with a suped-up Honda Civic that you could hear for BLOCKS. I'd often hear him leave, drive along 109 st, turn right on Jasper Ave, drive for a bit, and then come back. One day I counted 14 trips like this. I was fairly certain he was a drug dealer given the short drives, the short amount of time spent away, and the frequency of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    ^^

Any firefights Howie ?

Nope.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I don't hear too many motorcycles along my part of Whyte Ave, probably because there's no one to show off for, but along the "trendy" part of Whyte it seems pretty bad this year. Lots of loud motorcycles showing off for people. I wonder whether a lot of the Whyte Ave motorcycle noise would be gone if that Timmy's ever closed.
    I wonder something else. Is that Timmy's making any money, when it's monopolized by bikers who hang out there for hours?

all things expected in a Entertainment district try living in Vegas.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    I wonder something else. Is that Timmy's making any money, when it's monopolized by bikers who hang out there for hours?
    I would guess yes. If the biker thing was a detriment to the business they would have done something about it (ie, 15 or 30 min. parking enforcement). I've been there many times, both on my bike and just a passerby and I fail to see the problem with this 'hang out'. Its not intimidating and I've had my kids with me. There are a few, maybe more than a few that really hang out but I see a lot of transition of bikers rolling in, visit and roll out, subsequently replaced by other bikers no doubt. Am I biased? maybe. Does anyone know anyone that crosses the street to avoid the area? Has anyone been harassed? As a motorcyclist, I'm the first to get annoyed about the straight pipes 'look at me' exhaust racket however there's enforcement for that. But bikers having a coffee in a public restaurant and grouping up with other like minded individuals? Funny no one complains about many A&Ws being a meeting place for classic and restored automobiles. In fact A&W embrace it.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

I agree with bpeters. Frankly, I've found myself more able to relax in that Tim Horton's than some other locations. Except for that it's usually busy and tables are hard to find. Bikers don't bother with me as long as I'm polite to them.

Yeah, I've never seen any issues with the bikers actually hanging out at the Timmy's. The issue is when they peel out of the parking lot with their loud pipes, disturbing everyone else around them.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

I should think that the po po would be permanently stationed in that Timmys lot with their sound measuring devices, it would like shooting fish in a barrel. But I don't think I've ever seen them there.

I wasn't thinking danger or intimidation, I was thinking hanging out for a long time spending little money. Tim's is a high volume service, which is why their coffee is so much cheaper than Starbucks and local coffee shops. I can't say why A&W encourages this. It seems like an old-timey idea to me like drive-in service, when real-estate was much cheaper.

I wasn't thinking danger or intimidation, I was thinking hanging out for a long time spending little money. Tim's is a high volume service, which is why their coffee is so much cheaper than Starbucks and local coffee shops. I can't say why A&W encourages this. It seems like an old-timey idea to me like drive-in service, when real-estate was much cheaper.
    But you're making an assumption that there's very little money being spent. Though I can't speak for this particular Tims/bike hang out, when I've gone to an environment such as this I find the camaraderie and conversation can get expensive relatively speaking Chances are even the long term hangout person buys multiple items and as mentioned the transient biker probably gets at least one item and moves on. I suspect A&W endorses the 'auto show' atmosphere as it really does bring people in. Its like a local 'show and shine' daily (almost). Car guys/girls like talking about and showing off their rides. And wannabees (like me) go to look and chat about their own woulda, coulda, shoulda's. Again I know of families that will wander to or do an impulse turnaround if there's a bevy of classic cars or trucks on display and those families drop $20-30 on milkshakes while wandering the parking lot. But having said all that, the fact that this Whyte Ave Tims lot is so small it gets congested and I believe gives the impression that its the same bikes all night. Some are but most aren't.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I should think that the po po would be permanently stationed in that Timmys lot with their sound measuring devices, it would like shooting fish in a barrel. But I don't think I've ever seen them there.
    Agreed. Hell I'd set the decibel van or car or whatever vehicle on the block and not even man it. The threat of getting pinched would deter a lot of the racket. But alas the City wouldn't get its cash....

^^ What makes this location pleasant for me, comparatively speaking, is that when people have vehicles they generally also have spending money. As long as we're all respectful, I can sit there and read and have my coffee and not worry about other peoples' sad stories.

From the point of view of the store owners, again, these people are spending money even if they are hanging out. Not many of the types who nurse their double-double for several hours. And because the place is noisy, not many laptop warriors either.

Sounds like McKeen and Henderson are on board.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    not many laptop warriors either.
    Nailed it. thx Eve.

I haven to been impressed either. We have a noise by-law in place, it is not being enforced, and these machines come roaring down the street and sleeping time. So not impressed.

And can the fire trucks knock it off between 11PM and 6AM with the horns and sirens?!

Police chopper is absolutely zen compared to everything else.

But if you want noise, I'm sure we can get an old 737-200 fly over at full throttle. It be like the old Airbus days in downtown Edmonton with the old airport.

I saw a fire truck burning down Jasper Avenue, by 116 street, sirens blaring constantly, at 4 AM in the morning, with no traffic. There was next to zero traffic. I could see them turning on the siren when going through a red light at an intersection, but why did they have the siren run constantly?

It's part of the traffic safety act. A fire truck must have its siren on in order to exceed the speed limit, or go through red lights. There are different provisions for police cars that allow them to operate with only their lights on.

I live in Garneau (duh) and I own a business on Whyte. It has been unbelievable this year when it comes to noise, and it seems to be trucks that are by far the biggest culprit. In addition to the noise from the vehicles themselves, a few have installed train horns and removed catalytic converters so that they can "roll coal", spewing thick clouds of black smoke usually aimed at cyclists and hybrids.

One suggestion we've had for reducing the noise and general douchebaggery is to lower the speed limit on Whyte to 30km between 99th and 9th. The number of people we see speeding while doing their loser-laps is jaw dropping, given the concentration of pedestrians in the area...

^ All of which speaks to an absence of enforcement. What's the point of having new laws when the present ones are ignored?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

^ive always assumed new laws are created solely for the purpose of giving politicians opportunities for photo ops.

Make it look like they are doing something that the average ***** will believe. Ignoring the logistics of enforcement.

See distracted driving laws for example
    be offended! figure out why later...

I'm facing 124 st just off 107 ave, a half block away from 124. The last two years weren't bad, but this year is brutal.

It's mostly loud bikes. A couple loud cars, that's it. I think they go in circles or something, because they keep coming back. I don't mind street noise, or I wouldn't live here, and I like the sound of a well tuned machine, but I can't watch a TV show or hold a conversation, even indoors, without having these jerks ruin it when they're out for a ride.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

^ That is actually a good point of reference.

This year we have adjusted to closing the windows when we want to watch TV or movies. If the windows are open, we have to turn up the volume to a point I worry that we'll be annoying neighbours to hear the dialogue.

Not a problem on days warm enough to open the windows in the winter, which leads me to believe it is in fact due to the bikes.

Side point: what is going on with TV shows and movies that modern ones have whisper quiet dialogue followed by deafening explosions? I hate having to constantly turn up or down the sound depending on the scene.
    Last edited by Jaerdo; 17-06-2015 at 04:10 PM.

Hustle and bustle and the noise of city life does not include modified machines so loud that you can't hear your friends when you're inside a noisy pub.

There's reasonable, there's excessive, and then there's f--king absurd, and these d-bags are well into the latter.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    But you're making an assumption that there's very little money being spent. Though I can't speak for this particular Tims/bike hang out, when I've gone to an environment such as this I find the camaraderie and conversation can get expensive relatively speaking Chances are even the long term hangout person buys multiple items and as mentioned the transient biker probably gets at least one item and moves on. I suspect A&W endorses the 'auto show' atmosphere as it really does bring people in. Its like a local 'show and shine' daily (almost). Car guys/girls like talking about and showing off their rides. And wannabees (like me) go to look and chat about their own woulda, coulda, shoulda's. Again I know of families that will wander to or do an impulse turnaround if there's a bevy of classic cars or trucks on display and those families drop $20-30 on milkshakes while wandering the parking lot. But having said all that, the fact that this Whyte Ave Tims lot is so small it gets congested and I believe gives the impression that its the same bikes all night. Some are but most aren't.
    Well you nailed it...

I am one of those guys with both a classic and a modified car and attend the A&W events as well as the some of the dozens of show&shines done for charity around the city. As well as a member of several of the clubs.

I can attest first hand the A&W at White Oaks is absolutely overwhelmed with business on the Friday nite gatherings...20 minute line ups where normally it's walk up or a 1-2 minute wait...the one at the A&W on Fort Rd and 137ave has the same level (but a smaller A&W and fewer cars) as White Oaks and is overwhelmed on Thursday nights.

As far as noise as these events...little. My son has hearing issues and loud noise is a serious problem so we are very sensitive to noise. Other than a few chirping tires and the odd Quick acceleration to the speed limit...no issues.

Timmies off Whyte is home to the Saturday night Tuner gathering and May 2 I was at there first one...massive, over 480 cars, thousands of people through the evening and much like White Oaks A&W very few issues other than a few chirping tires and a few fast accelerations to the speed limit...and it is not in a residential area.

Overwhelmingly the Car Community (Antique, Classic, Muscle Car, Hot Rod and Customs) are a well behaved lot and tend to be 30+. So anecdotally I'd say 98% of the car community is well behaved and respectful.
    We wanna make noise we go where it's appropriate.

There is also no cruise scene downtown or on whyte...so I would suggest you've got some area residents (or regular patrons) causing the noise issues...call the cops they deserve what they get and be sure you report with a plate number, the police do take action.

Side note...
    The car culture in Edmonton is huge, much larger than Calgary's, but overall keep to themselves. At the same time the business, just in the automotive shops, runs into many millions per year plus the side revenues that come from the events and the dollars generated for many charities.

Rant over

Is it just me, or is the motorcycle noise more horrid tonight than usual?

Were you on Whyte Ave earlier? It was insane there. Also, douchey trucks. Many, many douchey trucks.

C2E SME

It's been crap weather for nearly a month, now they're out in force with the nice weather.

It's not just you. Bad in my neighbourhood.

Were you on Whyte Ave earlier? It was insane there. Also, douchey trucks. Many, many douchey trucks.
    I live close to the river valley. All night long I've been hearing the douchemobiles tear up and down along the James MacDonald Bridge, Low Level Bridge and McDougall Hill Road.

It's going to be a very long night here on Whyte Ave...

The last 6 posts sound like the old codgers club. Moan, moan, moan. It's Edmonton not a morgue. Think vibrant, lively, interesting. To much for ya I guess.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

And, as if on cue, the old biddy shows up to give everyone her opinion...

Gemini, you did notice the topic of this thread, right? Or do you need to increase your prescription?

^ I have her on my Ignore list, her posts are always a waste of bandwidth. I suggest most of you do the same.

Back on topic. It did quiet down later in the evening. Not sure if its because of the longer nights, or curfews imposed by mommy & daddy, or what.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    The last 6 posts sound like the old codgers club. Moan, moan, moan. It's Edmonton not a morgue. Think vibrant, lively, interesting. To much for ya I guess.

What! Gemini is a biker babe! I'd have never guessed.

Hemi-Gemini-crickets!

Too bad electric cars are going to be the new thing. Quiet = technologically advanced = the new COOL!

To be honest, the bikes aren't the biggest offenders these days, it's the trucks. And the douchebags with the train horns. And don't get me started on the folks who think "rolling coal" is an entertaining past time.

Quick question, oh wise members of C2E: is there any provision in the highway traffic act that governs vehicles in regards to modifications such as mufflers and vehicle height?

And, as if on cue, the old biddy shows up to give everyone her opinion...

Gemini, you did notice the topic of this thread, right? Or do you need to increase your prescription?
    Oh sorry Grandpa, didn't mean to put your grouch-o-meter in overdrive.
    As for opinions, I'm sure your whole neighborhood is aware of yours.

[QUOTE=KC;710063]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post

What! Gemini is a biker babe! I'd have never guessed.

Hemi-Gemini-crickets!

Too bad electric cars are going to be the new thing. Quiet = technologically advanced = the new COOL![/QUOTE

I'll take that as a compliment. I haven't joined the frump club yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ I have her on my Ignore list, her posts are always a waste of bandwidth. I suggest most of you do the same.

Back on topic. It did quiet down later in the evening. Not sure if its because of the longer nights, or curfews imposed by mommy & daddy, or what.
    Who gives a ratz what you think. I suppose you calling vehicles 'douchemobiles' makes you feel the cool cat on the block. Bleating about a bit of noise. You live in a city, do you want people to turn off the lights at 7 in the evening so you can go to bed early. If you don't like the noise go live in a concrete bunker or a morgue. First of all though, get a personality transplant.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast