Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Excessively loud cars/bikes + inconsiderate drivers

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Anyone else hear what sounded to be a monster truck at full throttle at about 3 am downtown? I'm used to the typical devoted DBs with their trucks and bikes belting out "I'm a waste of breath" in an orchestra of exhaust notes all night, but this was something else entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ I have her on my Ignore list, her posts are always a waste of bandwidth. I suggest most of you do the same.

Back on topic. It did quiet down later in the evening. Not sure if its because of the longer nights, or curfews imposed by mommy & daddy, or what.
    Who gives a ratz what you think. I suppose you calling vehicles 'douchemobiles' makes you feel the cool cat on the block. Bleating about a bit of noise. You live in a city, do you want people to turn off the lights at 7 in the evening so you can go to bed early. If you don't like the noise go live in a concrete bunker or a morgue. First of all though, get a personality transplant.
    Noise is fine. Intentionally excessive noise designed purely to antagonize for show is not. Modified bikes, trucks, cars, etc are done solely for attention. Are you so lacking attention that you have to anger strangers to get someone to look your way? If that's the case, you might want to try a new approach.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ and BINGO was his name-o
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    ^ I have her on my Ignore list, her posts are always a waste of bandwidth. I suggest most of you do the same.

Back on topic. It did quiet down later in the evening. Not sure if its because of the longer nights, or curfews imposed by mommy & daddy, or what.
    Who gives a ratz what you think. I suppose you calling vehicles 'douchemobiles' makes you feel the cool cat on the block. Bleating about a bit of noise. You live in a city, do you want people to turn off the lights at 7 in the evening so you can go to bed early. If you don't like the noise go live in a concrete bunker or a morgue. First of all though, get a personality transplant.
    Noise is fine. Intentionally excessive noise designed purely to antagonize for show is not. Modified bikes, trucks, cars, etc are done solely for attention. Are you so lacking attention that you have to anger strangers to get someone to look your way? If that's the case, you might want to try a new approach.
    I get your point but we live in a city where there are all kinds of characters with all kinds of quirks. The thing is people let stuff like that get to them. It starts to consume them. They hear a loud vehicle come then go but then they fret all night about it. They tense up then clench their teeth, wide awake when the vehicle is long gone. Then their minds go into overdrive thinking of expletives to call them. Douche bags, then the vehicles are douche mobiles. People soup up their vehicles, it's their thing. People have tattoo's all over, shave their heads, put rings in their noses. May not be as noisy but it's their thing. If you want to live in a city you have to live with what goes on in it. I shudder to think how some people could handle living in New York, London or some other big city. Man, it's Edmonton, it's gonna move to the beat of it's own drum. If your trying to sleep put ear plugs in and quit bitching.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

If it was one loud vehicle it wouldn't be a problem: see ambulance, firetruck, police, etc. Infrequent and with purpose.

However when modded vehicles are ripping down certain stretches constantly, it becomes far more than a momentary nuisance. I've been on Whyte and there are so many modded bikes ripping around that conversation can't be had. It doesn't take more than a handful of these types to make it relatively unbearable for thousands. For what? Smug satisfaction? Attention? So severely lacking a social life that blowing money on a fat pipe is the only way to make life bearable?

There's a reason noise bylaws were passed. It got to a point where it was hurting the common good for no conceivable gain to anyone whatsoever. If you like the sound that much, pipe it into your own ears through headphones. It's OK, nobody will mind.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Some of the guys on this thread act like they went from childhood straight into being seniors and missed all the 'holy sh*t what was that all about' years in between. Not only are the people they moan about douches their vehicles are too. Oh woe is me, that noisy vehicle is hurting my widdle ears. What a douche that vehicle is. I think they lost the argument when they started calling the vehicle a name.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Electric Harleys:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuhPZTrSmBw

So much for the "we need loud pipes so other vehicles know we're about" crowd.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Some of the guys on this thread act like they went from childhood straight into being seniors and missed all the 'holy sh*t what was that all about' years in between. Not only are the people they moan about douches their vehicles are too. Oh woe is me, that noisy vehicle is hurting my widdle ears. What a douche that vehicle is. I think they lost the argument when they started calling the vehicle a name.
    I think in the grand scheme of things, you would be in the minority if you did a public opinion poll on these screeching and roaring sounds. Although to an extent, some noise is absolutely acceptable, there are limits as to what is okay and tolerable by 99.9% of people whose cars go the exact same speed as yours, but without deafening babies waiting at the corner in a stroller next to the red light you insist on peeling away from. These sounds can actually cause severe hearing damage.
    Last edited by etownboarder; 13-09-2015 at 10:54 PM.

Personal opinion, but I wouldn't have a Harley. Having been brought up on Nortons and Triumphs, to me Harleys sound like a handful of bolts being rattled around in a tin bucket.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Gemini, what on earth did you expect to find in a thread titled "Excessively loud cars/bikes + inconsiderate drivers" in the RANTS section? Why do you feel the need to come in here and post about how we're all "Grandpas" because we complain about the issue? Like Chmilz said, you seem to have this need to drop into threads and spout off about your opinion on how the majority of the posters are wrong and need to change their opinion on something. No one appreciates it. Please, just stop.

As for "that noisy vehicle is hurting my widdle ears" - I've been walking down Whyte Ave with my son who bursts into tears because a modified truck/bike is so loud that it hurts his "widdle ears." I don't know how much you know about hearing loss, or how it occurs, but loud sounds like that can damage a person's hearing. Once your hearing is damaged it doesn't grow back.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Gord, how many threads have you been on were opposing opinions are voiced on the original premise of the thread. All of them I bet. It's not the mutual admiration society here. You have your opinion, I have mine and yet your draws are so twisted you ca'nt sit down.
    Quit being a drama queen.

Food for thought:

http://www.hearingtestlabs.com/motorcycle.htm

http://www.vineyhearingcare.co.uk/20...-your-hearing/
    Last edited by Gemini; 13-09-2015 at 12:31 PM.

Alright, I give up. Much easier to block her. Soon she'll just be rambling to herself on here.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

I record vocals in the corner bedroom, and I have to deal with noise a lot, living near the intersection of 124 st and 107 ave.

I accept that it's going to be there, but there's nothing like listening to mic'd traffic noise (with the windows shut) and other noise (construction) through headphones to wake you to the fact it's a kind of pollution.

I love the sound of a well tuned engine, whether a bike, a car, or a generator. They call it "tuning" for a reason. It doesn't need to be loud.

But that's not what it's about with some of the people with loud bikes or cars.

I'd call it inconsiderate, but it's not, really, when they know full well what they're doing.

I'd call it dismissive of other people, but they are purposely going where there are lots of people out enjoying their day, so it's worse than that.

There are words for people who are aggressively, pointedly, purposely, and blatantly dismissive of other people's enjoyment of life, but they won't print here.

And don't get me started on the "loud pipes save lives" baloney either. When they all start wearing bright orange reflective jackets (and never riding drunk - I ran Blues on Whyte for more than 3 years), we can talk about safety.

Some people's hearing is a lot more sensitive than others. Children have especially sensitive hearing. Many people on the Autism spectrum are extremely sensitive to loud noises and certain frequencies. Personally, I can't be in certain rooms because of how they're "tuned" - it's like an ice pick to my ears.

Do they believe they are some kind of heroes or something?

I think it's more akin to walking up to someone enjoying a beverage on the patio, and purposely farting in their face.

What is really the point? If they like the sound when they're on their bike, head out on the highway (lookin' for adventure, and whatever comes my way ).

Maybe they don't realize it's so loud, because they've all gone deaf.

It's not the end of the world, and I'm not going to let it ruin my day. I'm pretty murky about the laws regarding loud bikes. I know there are still tickets, because someone I know posted that they got one (more than $200). I can tell you that the difference from three years ago is huge. Then, there were loud bikes every night. They would come back, sometimes more than once an hour, as if they were doing a circuit.

Now the loud bikes are still there, but much quieter. I rarely get to experience the joy of someone cracking it open so I can hear them, literally, miles away, when I'm doing a vocal take.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 13-09-2015 at 01:23 PM.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

^^

It's not the end of the world, and I'm not going to let it ruin my day?
    Jimbo said.

I read your post and it's appreciated. In regards to your statement above.
    One of the problems is that people do let it ruin their day/evening/night. They stew on it, they fret over it, it consumes them for hours at a time. Loud bikes/vehicles are ruining my day, my week, my life etc. Then to emphasis their point the people who ride those bikes/drive those vehicles are douche bags. The vehicles/bikes some how morph into douche mobiles (is that possible). It's an attitude of "I'm superior, I don't have a douche mobile". There are hundreds of things in life that are going to annoy people for all different kinds of reasons, but sounding off that people are douches because you think your perfect and could never annoy people is bogus. I've been on Whyte (and other places) and heard load bikes peeling around. Yeah, for a few moments it's loud then they peel off. Does it ruing my day, no. I live close to two major routes and have a fire station close by. At night I hear the fire trucks, semi's, bikes going by then they are gone. I'm not fretting about it hours later and I sure as hell not calling anyone douches because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ...and yes, stereos as well.

I can live with some noise and fun daytime, but 2am 50 cent is rightfully annoying.

Time to get me my rocking chair and shotgun.
    Not everyone is cut out to live in a city Ian. Have you considered a move to the suburbs? Possibly more conducive to someone with a delicate disposition...

It's not that Edmonton is any more or less noisy than most other cities, it's more likely that some notice the contrast between the winter months (dead) and the relatively "lively" summer months.
    Yeah, and don't you just hate it when those noisy bunch of neanderthals wail out music at those open air concerts, then the noise from the K Days fiasco gets started. The roar from Commonwealth Stadium when the Esks score, the constant noise of the traffic heading to Heritage Days. The air brakes on the semi's delivery goods, the screams from the kids playing in the playground. Yeah, living in the city sucks big time, there's just too much noise going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    Anyone else hear what sounded to be a monster truck at full throttle at about 3 am downtown? I'm used to the typical devoted DBs with their trucks and bikes belting out "I'm a waste of breath" in an orchestra of exhaust notes all night, but this was something else entirely.
    out where i live we get the road racer type of bikes zipping up and down our main drags half the night every night in the summer. add into that the annoying habit fire trucks have on insisting on blaring their sirens at 2 AM as they go down the road as well as the trains that insist on blaring their horns at 3AM for the whole neighborhood to hear and it can be quite noisy close to where i live, but having lived in the same place for 20 years now you get used to it.

Dickwad season officially started this weekend. Seems that the first people out on their bikes/sports cars are the noisiest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerdo View Post
    Dickwad season officially started this weekend. Seems that the first people out on their bikes/sports cars are the noisiest.
    Yup. Speeding and modified exhaust. Spring has come to Edmonton.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Here's the problem,... people will complain about everything, even if the noise is within reason. Here is a small list of things that people have directly complained about during my time so far on planet Earth:

-ATV noise.
    -Grain vacuum hooked up to tractor PTO.
    -Baghouse dust collection system.
    -Dogs barking.
    -Car/Truck noise.
    -Motorcycle noise.
    -Playground/daycare noise.
    -Lawnmower noise
    -HVAC noise.
    -I've even had people complain about noise from shoveling snow!

An unmodified Honda Fury motorcycle will break the 96db(A) limit while revving.

Personally, I think the people that complain about motorcycles just have something against motorcyclists. I see rage directed at them every season for a number of reasons.

All that said, if I head out late at night on my motorcycle, I idle it to the highway. And when I come home, I idle it from the highway back to my house. (I live in a large town.)

I do it for the community! Now where's my award!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by BitterTruth View Post
    There should be an age limit to owning loud and fast vehicles.
    Let's say 25 years old.

After that, a $500 "grow the phak up" ticket!
    Yah! More rules! Just what we need!

Quote Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post

Personally, I think the people that complain about motorcycles just have something against motorcyclists. I see rage directed at them every season for a number of reasons.
    I don't have anything against motorcycles. I have something against motorcyclists who feel the need to strap on straight pipe exhausts and race by my home at redline RPMs from midnight to 4 am. Same goes for muffler-delete smokestack trucks and boy racers.

Now that spring is here, the noisy douche machines are back out in full force.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Yep. Gonna be a noisy weekend on Jasper Ave this weekend methinks.

Never understood the appeal of loud pipes. Heck, my car is so quiet it actually simulates engine noise inside the cabin.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Now that spring is here, the noisy douche machines are back out in full force.
    Was on Whyte this weekend and a few douchebags were ripping up and down on their Harley's. EPS needs to get their crap together and be there on the first remotely nice day hitting these pukes with fines.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by noodle
    Never understood the appeal of loud pipes. Heck, my car is so quiet it actually simulates engine noise inside the cabin.

That's becoming increasingly common, and few people are aware of it:
    http://business.financialpost.com/news/transportation/the-auto-industrys-dirty-little-secret-fake-engine-noise

As far as exhausts and noise goes, I both live downtown and own a couple motorcycles. Personally I think people who get loud exhaust systems for the sake of them being loud, whether on cars, trucks or bikes, are selfish jerks. One of my bikes (2005 R6, a sport bike), does have an aftermarket exhaust on it. However, the main reason I put it on was because the stock one was ugly as all hell. The bike is all black, with this ugly aluminum can on the side. So I found a nice exhaust that looks a lot better, and also added a few horsepower (to a bike that didn't need any more horsepower, as far as I'm concerned). I don't know if the bike would pass the EPS test or not, I keep missing the test sessions they put on. But to my ears, the bike is still quieter than my other one (Ducati Multistrada), which is not modified from stock. Unless I have the R6 at 15,000 RPM, then yeah, it's pretty loud.

However, when I ride either bike in populated areas, I don't drive like a jerk and I keep the engine RPM's reasonable. That by itself makes a big difference. A lot of the biggest culprits for road noise are actively driving to make themselves heard, for some bizarre reason.

The thing that tipped me off to it was actually not the engine noise, but rather the bass from some music. Turns out that in order for the rumble of the fake noise to sound/feel right that there's a subwoofer mounted up front to give the fake noise the vibratory depth. Found out it was all part of the engine sound simulation.

I'll likely have it shut off when I get around to getting my car coded this summer.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I don't see a lot of people speeding in cars that don't make much noise either. There's likely a strong correlation between people that punch it off lines and in high traffic pedestrian areas, and the amount of noise their vehicle makes.

I don't see a lot of people speeding in cars that don't make much noise either. There's likely a strong correlation between people that punch it off lines and in high traffic pedestrian areas, and the amount of noise their vehicle makes.
    Wow, Do I ever disagree with that.

I drive 3 classic vehicles, in the winter I drive a 1984 F-150 pick up that is an older restoration and well care for. Being a 6 cylinder it's no rocket sled and in sympathy with the big old 6 I drive a titch under the speed limit just to take it easy on the old girl.

It gives me the chance to look at who is blowing by well over the limit...

The top 3 from my experience daily
    1) Soccer moms in SUVs and mini vans by far the number one hands down
    2) Young ladies in subcompact and compact cars
    3) Mature ladies in large SUVs

In the summer I drive my 80s Trans Am or my TR7, both nice cars, both have xhausts that when pushed make you know they are there.

But they are such "cop targets" I don't push it in the city or speed in the city and who passes me the most ...

1) Soccer moms in SUVs and mini vans by far the number one hands down again
    2) Young guys on cafe' racer style bikes
    3) Mature ladies in large SUVs

Your experience may vary

That said I find most people with cars like mine (regardless of age or sex) know they are "cop bait" and keep it in check in town.

IMO
    Last edited by Thomas Hinderks; 29-03-2017 at 02:43 PM.

I'm one of those guys that rides with loud pipes, it doesn't bother me as I wear earplugs. It's mostly to do with a fued I have with the city. As a bike rider I've been ran off the road a few times, cut off etc so I try stay away from traffic...well, last year i got $496 photo radar for doing 18 km over. Just for trying to keep away from other vehicles...to me it's not excessive speeding. So now I roll with loud pipes and perfectly legal. They tested me and they only rev it to about 1500 rpm wich passes the test but I red line er you hear me 40 blocks away. It's to tell motorists I'm here , you might not see me , but you hear me. At least im honest about it.

The photo radar. the cash cow scams have gotten way out of hand and it's my way of fighting back
    Last edited by champking; 29-03-2017 at 02:17 PM.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by champking
    It's to tell motorists I'm here , you might not see me , but you hear me

No, they don't, because the sound is going in the opposite direction of which you're travelling. That's a total bunk argument, often made by riders who wear all black leather. The best way to be noticed, is to wear high visibility clothing. There is clear statistical evidence that wearing yellow or other high visibility colors lessens motorcyclist accident rates. Yet strangely, the loudest loud pipe safety advocates keep wearing black.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 29-03-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by champking
    It's to tell motorists I'm here , you might not see me , but you hear me

No, they don't, because the sound is going in the opposite direction of which you're travelling. That's a total bunk argument.
    Trust me, you hear me or wouldn't be complaining...or do i need louder pipes ? I can redirect that exhaust too if like, us welders are handy like that

^ What a gem of a human being you are. Because you're incapable of driving within the law as you agreed to when you voluntarily took on the responsibilities in becoming a licenced operator you somehow feel justified in being a public nuisance & revel in the perverse joy you take in "sticking it to the man" while being a needless annoyance to your fellow citizens.

Thanks for conforming so completely to the stereotype of the self-involved, self-indulgent, self-righteous loud pipe motorcycle rider.

Also: to get above $400 you either need to be going 25 over in a construction zone or 44 over outside of one (as seen here). So you're either lying about the amount (monetary or how fast you were going) or are leaving out a very important piece of information about it being through a construction zone, making you even more of a Grade A loser.

C2E SME

Apologies for the late edit on my post above.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    ^ What a gem of a human being you are. Because you're incapable of driving within the law as you agreed to when you voluntarily took on the responsibilities in becoming a licenced operator you somehow feel justified in being a public nuisance & revel in the perverse joy you take in "sticking it to the man" while being a needless annoyance to your fellow citizens.

Thanks for conforming so completely to the stereotype of the self-involved, self-indulgent, self-righteous loud pipe motorcycle rider.

Also: to get above $400 you either need to be going 25 over in a construction zone or 44 over outside of one (as seen here). So you're either lying about the amount (monetary or how fast you were going) or are leaving out a very important piece of information about it being through a construction zone, making you even more of a Grade A loser.
    Not going to argue with you but it was 78 in a 60 zone, Saint Albert Trail. At least im honest about it and telling my reasons for. If you don't believe me i really don't care. I also roll now with that new LED license plate, havn't had a ticket since

No amount of explaining makes your terrible behaviour acceptable & being honest that you're a grade-A loser a-hole who only cares about himself isn't really something deserving of praise or acknowledgement. Yes, you've explained exactly how & why you're a public nuisance. Braaaaaavoooo.

Perhaps if you had the situational awareness to realize you're in a posted construction zone you'd not feel the need to speed in order to maintain what you feel is a safe distance between you and the people you share the road with. From the sounds of it you lack confidence in your ability to navigate the streets safely & lawfully, maybe you should take some refresher training?

Also going to point out these cash cows have gotten way worst with the economy ( not just photo radar )...it's with everything ( carbon taxes ). I'm not stupid it's to pay for their grandios visions, and put us on the map, bloated bureaucracy. Something I'm totally against The reality is : hurting family's financially leads to divorce, it destroys family's but do you think the bureaucrats care ? nope.

Speeds through a construction zone at 30% over the limit & blames the evil gubmint for taking his money & ruining "family's" (sic). You keep on doubling down on the dumb.

Where are those like buttons?

I feel the need to comment but noodle has this one covered.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Speeds through a construction zone at 30% over the limit & blames the evil gubmint for taking his money & ruining "family's" (sic). You keep on doubling down on the dumb.
    keep up with the name calling ( at least i was honest ) For I can afford an even bigger engine and louder exhaust can make a point of cruising the downtown if you like I don't care if i gotta pay the boys we'll come down there mon- thurs and tear it up. not even the tallest condo will fortify the sound mark my word im relentless
    Last edited by champking; 29-03-2017 at 07:28 PM.

I can sympathize about the speeding ticket. City construction zone speed signs never seem to get covered up after hours like you see on provincial highways, and it is a classic Edmonton photo radar tactic to set up in a construction zone after hours and charge double fines despite the fact that the law specifies that fines double only when there is active construction work going on.

Absolutely no sympathy for the "loud pipes save lives" losers though. I don't think I've ever seen someone on a loud bike wearing an orange safety vest, or full face helmet, or anything else that might have an actual safety benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    Absolutely no sympathy for the "loud pipes save lives" losers though. I don't think I've ever seen someone on a loud bike wearing an orange safety vest, or full face helmet, or anything else that might have an actual safety benefit.
    And the pipes mostly emit behind them, the least useful direction.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    And the pipes mostly emit behind them, the least useful direction.
    I can direct it right at buddy's face if you like but i get enouph evil stare, people quickly rolling up their window...but, point made we should be redirecting...might even get rich selling custom pipes Thanks !

I call it the ' blaster ' ! look for it

SAFETY FIRST
    Last edited by champking; 29-03-2017 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by champking View Post

keep up with the name calling ( at least i was honest ) For I can afford an even bigger engine and louder exhaust can make a point of cruising the downtown if you like I don't care if i gotta pay the boys we'll come down there mon- thurs and tear it up. not even the tallest condo will fortify the sound mark my word im relentless
    I don't doubt that your ability to be a horrible person exceeds my ability to tolerate it. Your mother must be so proud of the complete douche canoe she raised.

Education key to muffling noisy vehicles, Edmonton councillor says

'One person in one noisy vehicle late at night can disrupt the lives of thousands of Edmontonians'

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...085405?cmp=rss

The city must find a way to deal to noisy vehicles, a scourge of summer months in Edmonton, says Coun. Scott McKeen.
    "People are fed up," he told fellow councillors Tuesday.
    As soon as the weather warms up, complaints from residents and business owners with outdoor patios start pouring in, he said.
    "This is not about motorcycles. This is about cars and trucks and motorcycles," added McKeen.

But more issuing tickets are not the answer, he said.
    McKeen said he prefers education as a tool to battle "mobile social disorder," rather than handing out fines.
    He points to education campaigns that have been used elsewhere that could serve as models for Edmonton.
    "Apparently Australia did a really good campaign a few years ago that tied vehicle noise to manliness, or a lack thereof," McKeen said.
    A campaign could also "communicate the fact that one person in one noisy vehicle late at night can disrupt the lives of thousands of Edmontonians," he said.

New technology tested

In October 2016, city staff tested new technology that measures vehicle noise.
    "It's a similar concept to photo radar but instead of measuring a vehicle's speed with radar, it measures vehicle noise with a microphone," said Gord Cebryk, branch manager of parks & road services.
    "Based on that, it'll take a picture of a vehicle depending on what the threshold is for the noise."
    According to city bylaws the sound from a motorcycle must be less than 92 decibels at idle, and 96 decibels at 2,000 r.p.m., city staff said.
    Right now the city is using the technology for monitoring, Cebryk said.
    If councillors wanted to use the noise sensor in tandem with tickets for enforcement, that would require changes to city bylaws, which there is no plans for at this point, Cebryk added.
    McKeen's motion directs city staff to measure the noise levels from vehicles in trouble spots in the downtown and along Whyte Avenue.
    City staff have also been directed to look at what can be done through an education campaign to address the issue.
    A report will go to the community and public services committee in about twelve weeks.

Enforcement and education are key.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Ive never seen any vehicle noise enforcement done in my entire life.

I have - quite often on the south end of the high level bridge there is a noise trap setup in the summer months, usually found on the weekend nights.

I don't think the coal rollers & loud pipers are uneducated or unaware of what they're doing. They know exactly what they're doing, have ample intent & just don't care.

Every time McKeen opens his mouth I'm a little more disappointed in him as my councillor. His heart is often in the right place but the way he addresses issues is sub-optimal at best.

the loud pipers will try to tell you it's for safety...

the coal rollers are just outright douchey.

At what level could noise cross into assault? I've felt physical pain and been left with a ringing in my ears a couple times, and had children in tears. The result isn't much different than if I'd been cuffed upside the head.
    There can only be one.

I believe both the loud pipers and the coal rollers should be arrested without mercy, their metal scrapped and pressed, and their property seized and distributed around the neighborhoods they have polluted.

Of course that will not happen.

KC, how do you know what is being enforced when you see police dealing with a violator?

The city's been trying to "educate" residents for a number of things in perpetuity. This isn't a widespread issue, it's an extreme minority of knuckleheads that mostly act like toddlers to spite the law. Dedicated enforcement is the solution. It's supposed to be nice this weekend, let's see those noise traps on Whyte and downtown, ruthlessly enforcing the law.

It's an election year. There's no chance this is gonna be a high-enforcement summer. Pick up some earplugs & remember to vote in October.

Just recycling a comment of mine from another thread. I think it comes down to a lack of driver ed. - and common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    On self-centred drivers...

A few weeks back I was in our vehicle and pulled up behind a school bus at the elementary school before school started. The bus was trying to pull up into the drop off section of the street in front of the school but some brain-dead parent was sitting in the way and not pulling out so the bus driver just blasted his horn with a hreally long blast 5-6 seconds!

So as I was walking my daughter into the school I passed the driver standing outside his bus and said a short beep was more appropriate, that his laying on the horn was inappropriate behavior. He thought I was the guy or gal sitting in the loading zone. I corrected him a couple times saying I was behind him. Anyway, he was pretty indignant that he had the right to lay on the horn because of parents blocking buses from the drop off. (Which I hate too.) I said something like 'look around you' or something to that effect but he just didn't get it.

To this guy it as all about him, his parking rights and the person blocking the drop off.

Totally self-centred thinking! (He's doing a great service so I didn't really lay into him but sure felt like it.)

Horn beepers vs BLASTERS
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...rs-vs-BLASTERS

Last edited by KC; 26-04-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    KC, how do you know what is being enforced when you see police dealing with a violator?
    I don't. I've never driven though a stop though where vehicle exhaust noise is measured.

I've gone though many Stop Checks.

As an aside, I've seen more cars over the last couple years than ever before with worn out shocks and other obvious maintenance issues that maybe should be pulled off the road but again I'm unaware of any enforcement along those lines either. (Nor police just sitting and nabbing people changing lanes through intersections, failing to stop, etc. etc. etc.). Instead I see almost exclusively just radar and photo radar.
    Last edited by KC; 26-04-2017 at 09:29 AM.

Thanks. I'd forgotten about these. Yes, I'd heard that they were going after bikers and I think there's a thread on c2e discussing this. I haven't watched the video yet, but were they going after cars and trucks?

Mentions noisy trucks here:

Edmonton police plan 2016 crackdown on noisy motorcycles | Edmonton Journal

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...noisy-mufflers
    Last edited by KC; 26-04-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Article not available now.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

^^ The weakness in the original attempts to control the noise is that they were specifically going after motorcycles only. Even I thought this was discriminatory (and d-bag noisemakers are the single biggest downside of living where I do). I don't care about the design of the vehicle only the decibels coming off it.

If the police can get an accurate noise meter that lets them target specific vehicles and ticket them that would be best. These people have been educated. They know that when they roar through the city in the wee hours they are disturbing thousands. They claim that loud pipes keep them safe in spite of all the evidence that says otherwise. I happy with ticket writing as a form of education.

NY tested this in the early 1990s so it's mot new, and this is 7 yrs old so it's apparently not desirable yet:

Active noise cancellation applied to diesel exhaust | EE Times

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1257672

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Article not available now.
    weird - still available for me. Perhaps you are hitting the paywall article limit?

Edmonton police hold motorcycle noise tests

BY KEVIN MAIMANN, EDMONTON SUNFIRST POSTED: SUNDAY, JUNE 07, 2015 03:34 PM MDT | UPDATED: MONDAY, JUNE 08, 2015 02:38 PM MDT

Police offered motorcyclists a friendly reminder to keep their loudness in check Sunday.
    Officers set up at NAIT’s Souch campus parking lot, 7110 Gateway Blvd., and pulled over dozens of noisy motorcycles to measure their exhaust for sound levels.
    Hogs that exceed 92 decibels can result in a $250 ticket under the city’s community standards bylaw.
    “Generally, motorcycle riders out there like to comply with the standards, but it’s so subjective, for them to listen to their own motorcycle. They can’t really make the determination whether they’re over the limit or under the limit,” said Const. Rohitas Chandra with the Edmonton Police Service traffic section.
    Police often receive noisy vehicle complaints from the public.
    They do not respond to the specific complaints, but occasionally set up sites to listen for loud motorcycles and pull them over for sound level checks, the same way drivers are ticketed for distracted driving and not wearing seat belts.
    Chandra said drivers who have not done anything to modify the sound of their bike should have nothing to worry about.
    “If they’re off the factory, they should be able to comply with most federal standards. And usually the municipal ones comply with the federal standards,” he said.
    The city amended the community standards bylaw in 2010 to handle excessive motorcycle noise.
    In 2014, 115 tickets were given to motorcycle owners for noise violations and 159 were issued to other motor vehicle owners under the Alberta Traffic Safety Act.
    [email protected]
    @SunKevinM

The city's been trying to "educate" residents for a number of things in perpetuity. This isn't a widespread issue, it's an extreme minority of knuckleheads that mostly act like toddlers to spite the law. Dedicated enforcement is the solution. It's supposed to be nice this weekend, let's see those noise traps on Whyte and downtown, ruthlessly enforcing the law.
    Noise traps also on or near all river crossings, especially the James MacDonald Bridge. I live near the river valley and the engine noise can really echo for a long while.

I saw noise traps at the top of Victoria Park Road a few times last summer. They were directing bikes into the Le Marchand Mansion parking lot.

Living on Victoria Promenade I get the joy of listening to loud bikes and cars ripping up Victoria Park Road then onto Jasper Avenue.

People literally treat that route like their own personal race track

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by KC
    Thanks. I'd forgotten about these. Yes, I'd heard that they were going after bikers and I think there's a thread on c2e discussing this. I haven't watched the video yet, but were they going after cars and trucks?

No. They wrote a new bylaw that specifically deals with motorcycles. Something about existing bylaws around vehicle noise not being legally enforceable or specific enough. So they said they'd target motorcycles first, as they were felt to be the worst offenders in summer, and ignored the massive coal-rolling pickups that cause a problem year round. But at the time, it was sold as trucks/cars being next on the list. Yet here we are, 2-3 years later, and they're still only targeting motorcycles.

And even the new motorcycle regulation they brought in isn't exactly great. The thing with motorcycles is that depending on engine displacement and layout (V/L-Twins vs inline 4/6's etc) is that different motorcycles have extremely different RPM ranges and that significantly impacts their noise production. They tried to address that in the regulation, but for higher revving bikes, I would think that the low RPM target in the regulation makes it easier for them to pass the test than for a lower revving engine. My 2005 R6 (600cc inline 4) with an aftermarket exhaust isn't loud at all at 2000 or 5000 RPM. At 15000? Yeah, it's gonna be loud. But most of that is engine and not exhaust noise. Meanwhile my stock Ducati Multistrada (1300cc L-Twin) is loud as hell at those lower RPM's.

Fact is, it's not a simple issue if you're talking about legally enforceable regulations or laws that have to stand up in the courts.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 26-04-2017 at 11:16 AM.

^bingo. My 02' S2000 is 85dB under 4000, but certainly MUCH louder at 9000RPM akin to a bike.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

85dB is terribly loud for a car at/up to 4000rpm. My car is ~73dB at full throttle, 42 at idle & 63 while cruising at highway speeds (~1900rpm).

Same horsepower, more torque, better fuel economy.

e: 85dB is actually the level of sound that hearing protection is mandatory in workplace safety guidelines for the EU.
    Last edited by noodle; 26-04-2017 at 12:35 PM. Reason: More infos after lunch!

http://globalnews.ca/news/3406192/ed.../?sf73772562=1

“The technology to monitor sound is coming down a lot in price,” McKeen said after Tuesday’s council meeting where he made the request. “So it’s pretty easy to do that to start with.”
    “To me it’s some kind of dysfunctional mating call that some men use, driving through the downtown suggesting that they are available for reproduction. I think it’s kind of sad. Really. I think we need to recognize it’s a bit pathetic.
    “When you have a diesel truck and you’ve removed the mufflers from it so you can sound like a 747 or something, it’s ridiculous.”
    “I always remember hearing from a couple, empty-nesters that had moved in from St. Albert, into West Oliver, along Jasper Avenue. They said they were done. They couldn’t do it any more. The vehicle noise was such that it was disrupting their sleep, disrupting their lives and to what end?”

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by noodle
    e: 85dB is actually the level of sound that hearing protection is mandatory in workplace safety guidelines for the EU.

That's for long term, continual exposure. Apples and oranges.

Wasn't trying to equate the two, merely provide a benchmark for how loud 85dB is. That being said, Ian's claim about his car should be rephrased to "My 02' S2000 is already stupidly, near unhealthily loud under 4000, but certainly MUCH louder at 9000RPM akin to a bike."

He doesn't even realize he's part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by EveB View Post
    ^^ The weakness in the original attempts to control the noise is that they were specifically going after motorcycles only. Even I thought this was discriminatory (and d-bag noisemakers are the single biggest downside of living where I do). I don't care about the design of the vehicle only the decibels coming off it.

If the police can get an accurate noise meter that lets them target specific vehicles and ticket them that would be best. These people have been educated. They know that when they roar through the city in the wee hours they are disturbing thousands. They claim that loud pipes keep them safe in spite of all the evidence that says otherwise. I happy with ticket writing as a form of education.
    The reason why it was motorcycles is because they were the vast majority of complaints the city received, AND because they worked with the motorcycle industry in order to develop testing methods.

“The technology to monitor sound is coming down a lot in price,” McKeen said after Tuesday’s council meeting where he made the request. “So it’s pretty easy to do that to start with.”
    “To me it’s some kind of dysfunctional mating call that some men use, driving through the downtown suggesting that they are available for reproduction. I think it’s kind of sad. Really. I think we need to recognize it’s a bit pathetic.
    “When you have a diesel truck and you’ve removed the mufflers from it so you can sound like a 747 or something, it’s ridiculous.”
    “I always remember hearing from a couple, empty-nesters that had moved in from St. Albert, into West Oliver, along Jasper Avenue. They said they were done. They couldn’t do it any more. The vehicle noise was such that it was disrupting their sleep, disrupting their lives and to what end?”
    I agree with his frustration, but framing the issue like this just galvanizes people against enforcement. It's not professional. Pass the laws and then enforce them, leave the petty insults out of it. Frankly, it's embarrassing.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

I agree with Chmilz. It's one thing to express the frustration in terms like these. Heaven knows I'm guilty of awful thoughts at 3 am on a summer weekday night. (Hint: the thoughts often include a water cannon off my balcony). But when speaking officially, it's important to get as much buy-in from this population as you can manage.

And then pass the law and enforce it consistently on the correct grounds. I.e., the noise that is actually created on the road calibrated (potentially) against the time of day this noise happens.

I agree with his frustration, but framing the issue like this just galvanizes people against enforcement. It's not professional. Pass the laws and then enforce them, leave the petty insults out of it. Frankly, it's embarrassing.
    The best comment I heard was that of an engineer in some publication I read years ago. He said that 'to an engineer, noise represents inefficiency.' Not too applicable to internal combustion beyond highlighting primitive design but a good way to debase the desire for loud vehicles.

A recent article:
    bolding is mine

Noisy by Design
    By Seth Roberts
    Date Posted
    01 Jun 2016

With a little googling you can find a BBC news article from 2004 and various forums where people have posted information from TFL about noise levels on the tube. These sources seem to indicate that average noise levels in noisy parts of the underground are in the region of 90 dB LAeq which is quite believable and yet it ought to be fairly astonishing. If a family car generated this level of noise from driving along the road nobody would buy it, so why do people happily subject themselves to ridiculous noise levels on public transport. I guess the answer is that they may not be entirely happy to do so but their decisions are based on ....

Noise represents an inefficiency where energy is escaping through some unwanted by product of a mechanical operation and in this respect it is no different to heat or light.If a piece of machinery or electronics was generating unexpectedly high levels of unwanted heat or light, this would be treated as a serious problem so why does noise not fall into this category? It is probably just a matter of

In a world where most of us are subject to considerable levels of stress already, why add excess noise into your life by settling for poorly designed and inefficient products? Demand more from your...

http://hayesmckenzie.co.uk/news/noisy-by-design
    Last edited by KC; 27-04-2017 at 11:25 AM.

^One of my favorite replies I found on Reddit on this topic, as stated regarding Harley's:

Hey now, no other biwheeled product is as efficient at turning gasoline into noise without the byproduct of horsepower.

Should be nice of a day out to make some noise ��

Go get'em champ !

Should be a nice day to see some biwheeled morons acting like tools ending their lives. Just don't injure any innocents. Use the curb or a lamppost please.

Should be a nice day to see some biwheeled morons acting like tools ending their lives. Just don't injure any innocents. Use the curb or a lamppost please.
    Today I like to try out a new device i got in the mail called the ' MUZO ' it's a sound blocking device if: works, should satisfy all you cry baby's https://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2016/...#.tnw_FQIuOVVz.

Motorcyclists. Better to be seen than heard. But if you haven't been seen, you better hope you've been heard.
    When did punk rock become so safe? When did the scene become a joke?
    The kids who used to live for beer and speed, now want their fries and coke.

So are there any motorcycle ratings of hp, noise, comfort...

Our old, old ski boat has a 6 cyl Merc. It's god awful noisy. Incredibly loud.
    My dad forever regretted buying it after he heard a neighbour's Evenrude.

Sounds somewhat like this one (below). Great way to ruin the outdoor experience.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SyVKyalewoA

Noise created by humans is pervasive in US protected areas -- ScienceDaily
    May 4, 2017
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0504161513.htm
    Last edited by KC; 06-05-2017 at 06:06 AM.

Local writer Todd Babiak tweeted this from France
    https://twitter.com/babiak/status/883795884827447296
    The world IS flat. Harley Davidson, its modified muffler collaborators, and the boors who buy them ruin summer evenings everywhere.
    Back here in Edmonton, last night was so bad I ended up wearing ear plugs in bed.

Local writer Todd Babiak tweeted this from France
    https://twitter.com/babiak/status/883795884827447296
    The world IS flat. Harley Davidson, its modified muffler collaborators, and the boors who buy them ruin summer evenings everywhere.
    Back here in Edmonton, last night was so bad I ended up wearing ear plugs in bed.
    Me too! It was really bad. I understand our summers are short, but the noise was terrible

I was sitting in a Michigan bar & grill that had a sidewalk patio, open windows front and back and a rear courtyard where I and a few friends were sitting including two that own bikes. Out front two guys started their Harley's and proceeded to rip up everyone's eardrums. After they went down the street, did a U turn and ripped back up the street. The noise was deafening to everyone including out in the rear courtyard. What a perfect way to pizzoff 100 people with your stupid noisemakers.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

The entitlement is real.

Whenever I read about a biker killing himself my first thought everytime is "one less arsehole on the road". Got no use for the vast majority of them.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    The entitlement is real.

Whenever I read about a biker killing himself my first thought everytime is "one less arsehole on the road". Got no use for the vast majority of them.
    That's an incredibly hateful thing to say. Those jackasses are the minority of bikers, even if it doesn't seem that way.

The entitlement is real.

Wow...just wow..smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    The entitlement is real.

That's an incredibly hateful thing to say. Those jackasses are the minority of bikers, even if it doesn't seem that way.
    It's not hateful, it's reality. Zero sympathy for stupidity. Wanna drive like a reckless ***** with a vehicle that offers no protection when things go wrong? Your choice. Reminds me of the guy a few years ago riding to a "no helmet" protest, was killed on the way because... wait for it... he wasn't wearing a helmet. Darwinism at work, folks.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/motorcy...ally-1.1113750
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

C2E SME

It is hateful, because you don't know the first thing about the people who are killed in those accidents. Maybe they never ride their bike in the city. Or only do so during the day, and try to keep their engine noise down. Maybe they don't have loud pipes, or ride a bike that isn't loud. What we do know is that there's a very good chance that they have wives/husbands, parents, children, friends, co-workers and so on that are heartbroken that a human life was taken from them. And you're basically laughing at them.

It's incredibly small minded and hateful. No two ways about it.

Anti-helmet advocates, sure, I can agree that I have little sympathy if they get killed in a minor accident because they were stupid enough not to be wearing one. But I certainly wouldn't celebrate their death, as you appear to.

I agree Marcel

When I was much younger, our neighbour who was a police officer and his wife were avid motorcyclists and had several bikes. One day he sold them all. I asked why and he said that in one week, he cleaned up three motorcyclist accidents with a shovel and plastic bag. He said in all three cases it was not the motorcyclist fault.

But in the case of excessively loud bikes, it is a childish need to make noise like a toddler banging on pots and pans. All they want is attention and "look at me and my fancy bike"
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Here's a new one. For the last few days, some dude has been driving his red semi (without trailer) up and down Whyte sounding his train horn down the entire way. The area was packed with people for Art Walk, all of them suitably impressed *sarcasm*.

Serious douchebag with some obvious compensation issues.

I dont like to hear anyone is killed in any kind of accident, but I do not mind if they get caught in the rain!

The entitlement is real.

Years ago I worked at YESS. A lot of bikers did the annual Santa Claus Run (still do) would take Kids staying at the Shelter for some cool rides, a lot of them volunteered and were some of the best volunteers. There was a couple of bad eggs, and one was doing it as a front for some drug mules, but 90% of the guys were rock solid. They would roar down Whyte Avenue as well. But being loud on or off the bike was part of the territory. None of these guys were meek or compensating or anything like that. Rather just living life large. Wanting to be the center of the party. Generally gregarious, but a lot of the ones I've met through the years could sure get philosophical as well and show emotions. But only if they felt comfortable enough with you.

Generalizations, and even my post is, are seldom good ideas but just wanting to illustrate where you are off on this. Theres tons of decent bikers out there that are solid people. But again nothing much about them is quiet. But a lot of those guys would be the first to give you the shirt off their back if you were in any need.
    Last edited by Replacement; 09-07-2017 at 09:11 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by republicofgarneau View Post
    Here's a new one. For the last few days, some dude has been driving his red semi (without trailer) up and down Whyte sounding his train horn down the entire way. The area was packed with people for Art Walk, all of them suitably impressed *sarcasm*.

Well that could have been me. My phone text message has a train horn sound for incoming text. The kids keep telling me it's to loud.
    Seriously though, I blame Trump. I've been doing that a lot recently.

The entitlement is real.

When you say 'biker' do you mean the 'outlaw biker dude' or just the regular 'biker dude'. Either way, any one of those r soles getting killed is not a pleasant thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    The entitlement is real.

Years ago I worked at YESS. A lot of bikers did the annual Santa Claus Run (still do) would take Kids staying at the Shelter for some cool rides, a lot of them volunteered and were some of the best volunteers. There was a couple of bad eggs, and one was doing it as a front for some drug mules, but 90% of the guys were rock solid. They would roar down Whyte Avenue as well. But being loud on or off the bike was part of the territory. None of these guys were meek or compensating or anything like that. Rather just living life large. Wanting to be the center of the party. Generally gregarious, but a lot of the ones I've met through the years could sure get philosophical as well and show emotions. But only if they felt comfortable enough with you.

Generalizations, and even my post is, are seldom good ideas but just wanting to illustrate where you are off on this. Theres tons of decent bikers out there that are solid people. But again nothing much about them is quiet. But a lot of those guys would be the first to give you the shirt off their back if you were in any need.
    My sister and her bike do that run, she's a [email protected], I'm the meek one.. lol!

Quote Originally Posted by republicofgarneau View Post

I saw and heard that jerk-off too. That horn of his could be heard for blocks away. I wish I had a slushie or a coffee with me so that I could have tossed it at his windshield or at his head.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast