Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Excessively loud cars/bikes + inconsiderate drivers

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I mean the douchebag bikers, not the good ones. Of course.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    No, you didn't: "Whenever I read about a biker killing himself my first thought everytime is "one less arsehole on the road". Got no use for the vast majority of them."

Either admit you were wrong, or stand by your statement.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by republicofgarneau View Post
    Here's a new one. For the last few days, some dude has been driving his red semi (without trailer) up and down Whyte sounding his train horn down the entire way. The area was packed with people for Art Walk, all of them suitably impressed *sarcasm*.

Serious douchebag with some obvious compensation issues.
    I saw and heard that jerk-off too. That horn of his could be heard for blocks away. I wish I had a slushie or a coffee with me so that I could have tossed it at his windshield or at his head.
    Was there a name on the door? Surely someone could complain to the company he works for. He represents them.

I can't wait until everything is electric, and even moreso when humans aren't allowed to drive. I predict a massive reduction in overall douchebaggery.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Nope

They will get one of these for the little boys on two wheels...

and another one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A
    Available in stores NOW!
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Zero sympathy for stupidity. Wanna drive like a reckless *****
    So we're connecting loud pipes with reckless driving? The thread is excessively loud pipes and you don't need them to drive recklessly. Nor is reckless driving unique to motorcycling. May have to take your soapbox to another thread.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by republicofgarneau View Post
    Here's a new one. For the last few days, some dude has been driving his red semi (without trailer) up and down Whyte sounding his train horn down the entire way. The area was packed with people for Art Walk, all of them suitably impressed *sarcasm*.

Serious douchebag with some obvious compensation issues.

A-N-N-O-Y-I-N-G !

Then again, it's not as if Top_Dawg can conjure much sympathy for the typical fart walk double chalupa heads.

Would be hilarious if ol' BJ MckAY was equipped with a General Lee dixie air horn.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    No, you didn't: "Whenever I read about a biker killing himself my first thought everytime is "one less arsehole on the road". Got no use for the vast majority of them."

Either admit you were wrong, or stand by your statement.
    Because in many cases when they kill themselves, keyword being THEMSELVES they were driving like arseholes. Look no further than Darwin Dr... errr Groat Road. Got it? And I'll stand by my statement. One less arsehole on the road.

Wrong about my opinion? Go p1ss up a rope.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

I think my biggest rant is the doucher in his cheap vehicle blasting a $3000 pioneer audio system and playing the worst music with his windows rolled down as he's parked on the side of the road downtown while pedestrians are walking by and have to listen to it without getting annoyed.

Default Sssshhhhh, be quiet.

Edmonton officials will acquire and test new photo-radar style noise guns to catch the few “scofflaws” destroying people’s sleep this summer.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/like-a-fetish-or-something-city-to-battle-loud-vehicles-with-photo-radar-style-noise-guns
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Glad to see they're targeting all vehicle noise with this. Previous noise-reduction was aimed at motorcycles after working with the motorcycle industry to set noise limits and testing methods. If motorcycles and their "loud pipes save lives" mantra need extra protection, maybe the city can work with the province to mandate bright vests that need to be worn when riding a motorcycle to help them be more visible.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

^ Yea, they should look pretty over the studded leather jackets and go well with the Wehrmacht-style helmets.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I was glad to hear about this the other day. There's quite a few vehicles in my neighborhood (always the same guys) with aftermarket exhausts who floor it and roar around the residential area for no reason other than to make noise. It's even worse in town. Ever try sitting outside on the patio at Hudson's during the day along Whyte Ave in the summer? You can even have a conversation because you can't hear the person sitting across from your table! It's pathetic and juvenile... The guys are definitely compensating for something lol

This cities answer to everything seems to be fines. Now clamping down on noisy vehicles and the scourge of loudster outlaws as if this was the 50's and McCarthy crackdowns of Delinquents.

man on man, if the worst thing you ever hear at night is some loud mufflers you know you live in a City, country, nation, where your concerns truly are of the first world variety.

lol at this part in the article;

"People in the Queen Alexandra neighbourhood, south of the river, also get woken repeatedly during the night by people"

I happen to know that people in this neighborhood, anybody else within a mile of Old Strathcona drink district central have more noise complaints about people leaving the district and partying till all hours of the night. In the summer often with these being backyard type firepit all nighter parties.

The cities typical response to this is to send some constable over at a time when theres nothing else at all going on, then talking to the people who agree to stop, then driving away..I know people that were told by such constables to stop wasting their time.

Maybe the City could bylaw enforce some of that after 11pm noise if the concern really is just noise.

Nah, just that people with vehicles and registration are easy to fine in cashgrap policy. You don't pay your fine you don't get to renew registration. period. This civic admin loves that kind of fines.
    Last edited by Replacement; 06-04-2018 at 02:05 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

The only time noise ever annoys me that much or impacts my life that much is in a campground. In a tent trailer there is no respite from the noise and late night parties outside and even egregious concern when there are firebans. In a residence its as simple as closing the window to escape the noise. I also have raging insomnia and live near the Henday and don't see the huge concern with this. I actually live and survive through it everytime. Noise has never personally harmed me or slapped me upside the head..

Its a growing city folks.

Again if the worst think a person does is modify mufflers or ride a noisy chopper I don't have a problem with that. Have a drug den or crack shack next door and I have a problem with that. Neighbors tht have the latter concern have to go through years of nightmare and a 100 police visits before anything much is done.

But hey, got a noisy muffler and we're coming at you bro, we're shutting down you outlaws through nimby proclamation.

Oh the priorities..
    Last edited by Replacement; 06-04-2018 at 02:12 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Yes, it is, but this shouldn't be a reason to accept that some people have no respect for others. "It's a growing city folks" can be used to explain many things, but when you're sitting outside on a patio, enjoying a meal and someone blasts by with their vehicle making so much noise that your eardrums hurt, or your kid starts crying, you think "what a f*cking self-centered @sshole," not "yippee, I'm in a growing city!"

I'm sorry you don't understand why the vast majority of the people are annoyed by these self-centered people. As for the drug dens... stop being such a NIMBY.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Yes, it is, but this shouldn't be a reason to accept that some people have no respect for others. "It's a growing city folks" can be used to explain many things, but when you're sitting outside on a patio, enjoying a meal and someone blasts by with their vehicle making so much noise that your eardrums hurt, or your kid starts crying, you think "what a f*cking self-centered @sshole," not "yippee, I'm in a growing city!"

I'm sorry you don't understand why the vast majority of the people are annoyed by these self-centered people. As for the drug dens... stop being such a NIMBY.
    heh, I think at some point in time I was able to convince myself that noise was a legitimate concern late at night. But being a homeowner and having good relations with neighbors for sure cured me of that. I live in a neighborhood and block where people simply make allowances and would have it no other way. So people next door have a party once a month, once a week, so what, enjoy yourselves. So what if a person sense of self and power is connected with a modified muffler. Rather have that than somebody compensating with a handgun..

As I've gotten a bit more mature..(Its never happening ) I've come to realize that noise isn't frustrating in itself, really at all. Its my whatever reaction to that noise. Can get worked up about it or think about it as irrelevant which it is. Despite which most kids I know think loud hogs are neat and loud cars too. They don't cry over it.

Anyway bylaw enforcement never furthers respective relations. Only means we're accepting a more punitive civic administration that will only inevitably start targeting something you or I might like.

Something in chasing after loud vehicles just seems like such a 50's notion to me. Get after all them hotrods and choppers, they're wrecking our world.. It just makes me kind of giggle at how little things ever change.

Funny thing about a lot of those loud cars is they're moving pretty slow. They don't have to speed to make the loud noise that youth want as a sense of some sort of power or communication of angst. That's arguably better than somebody back in the day opening up a 4 barrel carb and having to stomp and speed to do that. (which I only did on highways, I swear...)

jk aside these new noisy cars. Some of it goes on the same harmless pretense of cap guns. It makes the noise without the real dangers of the real thing.
    Last edited by Replacement; 06-04-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Well the douches in cars and trucks in my area are squealing tires and roaring up to at least 70 in a 50 zone, and purposely coast to slow down just so they can rev again and again. Your car/truck is loud, I get it, no need to redline it up and down the street EVERY DAY. One particular douche does it at 6AM. Real fun with a newborn that they keep waking up all the time and disrupting out own few hours of sleep we're able to get. Moved outta downtown to the suburbs for quiet and it's almost worst. At least downtown it's constant noise... We're at the point of talking about moving outta this crap city and live in the outskirts where it's quieter, less traffic, less neighbors etc...

^Sympathies for parents. Any thing that wakes them out of slumber and makes them squeal and cry is worth complaining about. But the DB'S that are speeding in residential roads, hammer them with fines for that. Quite often its the same dicks that do the same thing, every day, and use residential roads as a drag strip, every day. Get a license plate, vehicle description if you can. Report to police.

Does anybody know if any of the white noise devices work at all? I find having some background noise works for me to go to sleep. Sometimes even turning on the Shaw crackling fire works for me although it impacts my dreams..

Just as a side rant the worst thing is the police helicopter that is loud, that patrols around incessantly and that circles around for long periods of time. Its better now but there used to be no limit to how long they would circle around one area. I'm talking a dozen rounds of very similar flight path. It occurs to me that we pay for that disturbance. Or the new improved police and ambulance sirens that you can hear now for even longer distances.
    Last edited by Replacement; 07-04-2018 at 07:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post
    Well the douches in cars and trucks in my area are squealing tires and roaring up to at least 70 in a 50 zone, and purposely coast to slow down just so they can rev again and again. Your car/truck is loud, I get it, no need to redline it up and down the street EVERY DAY. One particular douche does it at 6AM. Real fun with a newborn that they keep waking up all the time and disrupting out own few hours of sleep we're able to get. Moved outta downtown to the suburbs for quiet and it's almost worst. At least downtown it's constant noise... We're at the point of talking about moving outta this crap city and live in the outskirts where it's quieter, less traffic, less neighbors etc...
    My Edmonton neighbourhood is generally very quiet. Quite a bit of traffic in it too. Some noise from major nearby thoroughfares but only noticeable on quite nights when outside. I’d guess that that’s true of most neighbourhoods.

Used to have a neighbour (oil driller guy) that would let his diesel idle for long periods. (Seemed odd that he was capable of working long periods outside but couldn’t handle a minute of cold in his truck.)

A few years ago in the morning I told a school bus driver that laying on his horn at a driver stopped in the bus stop area out in front of the elementary school was uncalled for. Total disregard for the apartment dwellers across the street. Driver kept saying something like I shouldn’t block the bus drop off. Couldn’t comprehend that I was the driver he was honking at. Clearly it was a case of: all-about-him’ism.
    Last edited by KC; 07-04-2018 at 07:16 AM.

Cross-referencing a new thread on a similar topic:

Sssshhhhh, be quiet.
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...hhhhh-be-quiet

{Admin edit}. Merged threads {/edit}

^Sympathies for parents. Any thing that wakes them out of slumber and makes them squeal and cry is worth complaining about. But the DB'S that are speeding in residential roads, hammer them with fines for that. Quite often its the same dicks that do the same thing, every day, and use residential roads as a drag strip, every day. Get a license plate, vehicle description if you can. Report to police.

Does anybody know if any of the white noise devices work at all? I find having some background noise works for me to go to sleep. Sometimes even turning on the Shaw crackling fire works for me although it impacts my dreams..

Just as a side rant the worst thing is the police helicopter that is loud, that patrols around incessantly and that circles around for long periods of time. Its better now but there used to be no limit to how long they would circle around one area. I'm talking a dozen rounds of very similar flight path. It occurs to me that we pay for that disturbance. Or the new improved police and ambulance sirens that you can hear now for even longer distances.
    So, wait, you finished complaining that people shouldn't complain about people who purposely drive loud vehicles because "its a growing city folks," but you're following that up by complaint about the noise from the police helicopter, when that helicopter is patrolling and trying to keep the city safe? You have to realize how silly that makes you sound, right?

If you want to try white noise, just download one of the many apps for a smart phone. I have one called "Ambiance" for iOS that I've had for years. There are tons of sounds in there; "industrial fan" is a favorite for white noise, but there are tons of others like babbling brooks and rain storms.

^ Don't be a dick. The Helicopter is a lot more disruptive when it continuously circles nearby for around 30 mins. How is that similar to a passing vehicle that offers sound disruption for 10-15 secs? When the Police helicopter was first employed they would do area runs where they would be in that area for long periods of time. Making circular swoops of that area and region. Usually quite wide arching circles but coming back to much the same paths. Through the luck of the draw we live in an area that saw very inordinate paths by the helicopter and at times where it was simply surveillance runs.

Next, I made the distinction about noise coming from DB's (they will always exist and no degree of legislation or enforcement will change that) vs something I'm paying for as a taxpayer that serves limited appreciable purpose. I live in a very low crime area. The serious crime level in my neighborhood approaches non existence. We don't have big city crime here, we have nothing of the sort. So that theres no real defined purpose to a helicopter making 30 min sweeps of my neighborhood like I was living in Compton or something.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Replacement, I'm not faced with a vehicle that offers disruption for 10-15 seconds. On summer evenings, starting at about 1:30 am I am faced with vehicles with modified mufflers passing by in groups and singly several times an hour for several hours. I've timed some of the spells at 15 minutes of constant very loud noise followed by maybe a two minute pause, then about ten minutes, another few minute pause, then another 10-15 minutes. They travel in groups of up to thirty motorcycles each of which is trying to create as much noise as possible by gunning of the engine in some sort of game. Plus the single motorcycles which go around and around the track of 109th, Whyte, Jasper and back to 109th. This goes on between 1:30 am to about 5:00 am.

When I moved here I knew about the general traffic. That doesn't bother me. The sirens are only intermittent and they aren't as loud as some of these vehicles.

The helicopter which also circles is a merely lullaby next to this.

^^I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just saying that there MUST be a reason the helicopter is around your place. They're not doing it just to annoy you. Does it happen every night, only certain days, once and awhile?

And as you can see from Eve's post, this is a problem that some people face, but you've been completely dismissive of it because it's somehow a badge of it being a "growing city."

^^Maybe its an impact as well of what kinds of sounds bother us. Sirens and such are intended to be disruptive and easily heard. They are meant to be that way and so you notice them. but recently the vehicles come with improved sirens in firetrucks and ambulances that carry sound for longer distances. Its that I'm noting more of. You here those for long distances. But of course one realizes those are necessities. Albeit the sound is unpleasant, its a siren, its supposed to be an unpleasant sound.

Muffler and car noise doesn't really do that to me. How could it. I've lived in a city for over 50 years. I'm habituated to that noise and it isn't at a sound spectrum that I find that annoying. More like a rumble that passes in the night. Depends where you live. We get this once in awhile in Millwoods, not constantly at all. Even listening to Henday close by. To me that theres vehicle noise is the cost of traffic and living in a busy city.

Which leads me to the helicopter. These things are MUCH louder than a vehicle and the noise is emanating from overhead. Helicopters are so loud you couldn't stand next to one for an hour without feeling you are deaf. These things are loud. 100 decibels at 100ft

http://www.industrialnoisecontrol.co...e-examples.htm

Helicopters literally produce a frequency and pitch that hurts my ears. The sound is literally stress inducing. Nearly every combat veteran that has ever had PTSD is immediately triggered by the sound of a Helicopter. Its one of the most stressful noises encountered and on a par with jackhammers and jet engines. The first thing that most people think of in the case of Helicopters and Jet engines is "Is anything louder" Fortunately Jets are flying over at very high altitude.
    Last edited by Replacement; 08-04-2018 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    ^^I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just saying that there MUST be a reason the helicopter is around your place. They're not doing it just to annoy you. Does it happen every night, only certain days, once and awhile?

And as you can see from Eve's post, this is a problem that some people face, but you've been completely dismissive of it because it's somehow a badge of it being a "growing city."
    The helicopters through the first years of use were doing trial surveillance use. They were simply up in the air for periods of time incase something happened. They even had timed durations. I made enquiries on why a Helicopter was flying around my place seemingly on a set schedule. The crime rate, again, in my area is so low, and serious crime so nonexistent that this is nothing other than fancy toys they are playing with.

There isn't enough crime here to justify police helicopters. We're not in a military zone. This is simply EPS feeling they need one and then two and now more. Edmonton has the kind of crime rate that any US City would kill for, excuse pun.

The distinction you didn't make in my post is that having emergency vehicles is warranted. They are required. So we tolerate them.

Vehicles are required to get populations from one point to another. So we tolerate them. From my backyard Semi trucks on the Henday (mile away) are louder than cars without mufflers which don't even cause me concern. But they are necessary so we tolerate them.

A Police Helicopter doing routine scheduled recognizance flying around in huge circles and not going anywhere are annoying because it is not required and not in response to any known event. Helicopters when used for surveillance do one of two different things.

1)Travel in much tighter circles or stationary and use infrared tracking and/or searchlight to monitor an individual(s) escaping detection.

2) Pursue such individuals, for instance high speed drivers or criminals escaping

3) In a recent year, 2012, the EPS helicopters were only used in 64 Criminal flight responses. 64. That's it.

A helicopter taking routine circular swaths is NOT in active reconnaissance or pursuit or detection. Its in the air at times (often times after hours) when crime might occur. They have stated having the bird in the air allows a much quicker response than if its on the ground.
    Last edited by Replacement; 08-04-2018 at 03:00 PM.

To be more specific about my previous posts, it's not the aftermarket mufflers I have a problem with, and if they drive by with a low rumble, I don't care as much, it's when they're purposely flooring it and redlining it just to make it roar every single time that I have a problem with. You want to go do that on a main artery or highway, I don't give a crap, but in a residential area? That's completely unnecessary and they're just being dicks.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

^ And that is my problem also. I don't think the offenders in my area, though, think of this neighborhood as a "residential" one. To them it is a straightaway towards the High Level Bridge. My windows also face towards a controlled crossing which "justifies" the gunning of the engines while they are waiting for green.

I don't mind the type of ordinary truck or motorcycle that is going from point A to point B. I've sat on my balcony and watched the traffic and those vehicles are there as just part of the traffic buzz. To the point where rush hour is the quietest part of my summer evenings.

What happens in the wee hours, though, is different than simple busy roads. It's like it's a competitive sport to see who can produce the most noise from the "flooring it and redlining it". In addition to the other game, somewhat rarer but still annoying, of them speeding up the humpback bridge next to my bedroom window to see if they can get airborne. Many can. To them, it's a playground. To me it's a weekday evening when I am just trying to get some sleep. (And no, white noise machines or even noise cancelling headphones don't even put a dent in what I am talking about.)

For years I’ve mentioned this engineering quote below to try to change perceptions on noise.

Anyway, a now very old article but I doubt anything has changed.

The Quiet Life / Technology, Noise and Us - SFGate

In 1975, a study found that bystanders witnessing an accident under otherwise identical circumstances were less likely to offer help when it was noisy than when it was quiet. Noise, the puzzled authors of the study concluded, seemed to affect not just our hearing but our behavior.

“ "Basically, anyplace you hear noise in technology, you can rest assured that someone is working to reduce it," says Adam Keiper, president of the Center for the Study of Technology and Society, in Washington, DC.

The reason, as it turns out, isn't just sales. To an engineer, noise is the sound of inefficiency. When we hear our computer, we hear the vibrations of a spinning disk drive that will eventually cause it to wear down, and the hum of fans installed to cool overheating parts.”

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...Us-2950251.php
    Last edited by KC; 09-04-2018 at 10:20 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123