Thread: 'Feast on the field - Aug 12, 2015

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default 'Feast on the field - Aug 12, 2015

Love it

Feast on the Field: A long table for the right reasons at Commonwealth Stadium, Aug. 12

Outdoor, field-to-fork suppers have been popular for several years now, and it’s easy to see why. There is nothing quite like enjoying the bounty of the season, prepared by skilled chefs, under a big, blue Alberta sky with your friends and family.

Now, Edmontonians can enjoy an outdoor long table in a novel setting, for a good cause. CapitalCare Foundation has pulled together three of the city’s top chefs to create Feast on the Field – a fundraiser to support 10 care centres for the elderly and disabled in the Edmonton area. David Omar of Zinc, Brad Smoliak of Kitchen by Brad and Steve Buzak of the Royal Glenora Club are creating a special menu for the evening, Aug. 12, that includes all your picnic favourites, including smoked beef brisket, old fashioned BBQ chicken, potato salad, coleslaw, corn on the cob, and baked beans. Beer is provided by Granville Island and wine by Peller Estates Winery. And for dessert? A pie bar.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...tadium-aug-12/
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

What a great idea....

First One is Always Free

^ I agree. Great alternative use of the site. Something that we should strive for - to better utilize sites such as Commonwealth or TELUS field which see limited use on most weeks.
    The opinions and views posted are my own and do not reflect the opinion, views, philosophies, policies, etc. of my employer, its board of directors, or its shareholders.

150bucks/plate for picnic food?

Pass.

Not following from any of the information provided where exactly the money is going either or for what. Article could give more details being that people are expected to dig deep for this event.

Not sure either why Commonwealth for this. Seems a pretty limited event if its setting its sites on around 350 people.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Party pooper!
    www.decl.org

Great idea and I think the food will be outstanding. Capital Care have about 12 facilities in Edmonton that house people of all ages that need continuing care. It's a great cause. This fund raiser will buy things for these facilities that the Government does not fund. $150 is worth it to make life easier or more comfortable in these homes.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Party pooper!
    I think I'll have a backyard barbecue scheduled that evening. I'll sit on the grass in show of support if you like.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^Seems the notion of 'fundraiser' has went right over your head.

Faster to simply give the $150 direct and better for CapitalCare Foundation as well. No overhead.

^A person could do that also and I am sure Capital Care and the people who live in their facilities would be every bit as grateful. Now, for cripes sake, it's a fundraiser. It appears a couple of people on this thread are not getting a grip. Like every agency/charity etc. out there looking for donations you have to come up with interesting and innovating ideas to raise money. Having 3 top class chiefs cook great food in a unique dining environment plus the bonus of contributing to a good cause sounds very appealing to some people. Sending in a donation is wonderful, living the experience of a donation = priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^Seems the notion of 'fundraiser' has went right over your head.
    I've donated through the years anyway as has my extended family. As per usual I would wonder when all is said and done how much actual funds goes to the charity from such a fundraiser.

Like the other poster said just donate directly. Shouldn't need a trumped up reason to do it if you believe in the cause.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-06-2015 at 11:36 PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^ you must be fun at parties
    be offended! figure out why later...

Quote Originally Posted by richardW View Post
    ^ you must be fun at parties
    Yep, I'm about 20 years past even thinking I like parties. tbh I never did like these kind of random gatherings.

Parties with friends, sure, but socializing and noshing with complete strangers is not really my ticket, never really was.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^A person could do that also and I am sure Capital Care and the people who live in their facilities would be every bit as grateful. Now, for cripes sake, it's a fundraiser. It appears a couple of people on this thread are not getting a grip. Like every agency/charity etc. out there looking for donations you have to come up with interesting and innovating ideas to raise money. Having 3 top class chiefs cook great food in a unique dining environment plus the bonus of contributing to a good cause sounds very appealing to some people. Sending in a donation is wonderful, living the experience of a donation = priceless.
    I support fundraisers but all too often they end up turning into these big, overblown events that end up taking more money away from the reason they're forced to raise funds.

When I donate, I always check to see what percentage of my donation actually goes to supporting what my donation is intended for. What percentage goes to executive salaries? How much is the event costing and how much money will be left? Is the food and time of the chefs donated? What is the cost of using Commonwealth (staffing, power, security, etc)?

Nah, I'll just go have a picnic in a huge, empty stadium and not worry about that while I'm patting myself on the back. Charitable giving shouldn't start with "What's in it for me?"

^Oh Lawd, over thinking things much.

Heaven forbid that people contribute to charities by taking part in fun, sociable events.

If you're that concerned about costs and such, why don't you self-righteous killjoys just ask them directly?
    http://feastonthefield.weebly.com/

Oh and while you're at it, don't forget to go after all the other charitable organizations who dare to organize fund-raising events such as brunches, dinners, BBQs, children's parties, gift wraps at Christmas, motorcycle runs, golf tournaments, bike races, NHL alumni games and charity runs.

Can't have any fun for a good cause in Deadmonton, nosireebob.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Feel free to attend. No problem with me. I just prefer that the largest percentage of my my charitable dollars actually end up with the charity, that's all.

Some of those are fine. It's not like you need Commonwealth in order to wrap Christmas gifts. However, the bigger and more elaborate the event, the more it costs, even with donations.

You are free to donate as you like and I'm free to do so as I like. That's all. I just don't need a material benefit for myself, not even a free t-shirt.

^Jeez, you sure talk some shyte.

edmontonjournal.com
    www.decl.org

Review:
    http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...t-years-event/

I go to a lot of food events, and some of them just aren’t that special. But last night’s Feast on the Field was a stunner. (Full disclosure, the Edmonton Journal was a sponsor of the inaugural Aug. 12 event.) Held on the turf at Commonwealth Stadium, Feast on the Field was a fundraiser for CapitalCare Foundation, which helps fund nursing homes in Edmonton.

Organizers were hoping for 300, and fell slightly short of that goal. But the smart little foodies who paid $150 each to attend were lucky, indeed. Not only did the weather fully cooperate – it was plus 30, with a big blue sky – the volunteer chefs did a memorable job of the picnic fare. David Omar of Zinc, Steve Buzak of the Royal Glenora and Brad Smoliak of Kitchen made sure the food was delicious, and beautiful. Produce sponsors, including Solanum International and Kuhlmann’s, provided amazing ingredients for the sides. I don’t think I’ve ever scene a potato salad as stunning as the purple beauty that graced our table (and some tables had pink ones).

The spread was classic picnic, with fresh corn on the cob, a host of salads, and barbecued pork and chicken. The Italian Centre provided charcuterie for starters, and a variety of excellent bakers – from The Art of Cake to the Fantasyland Hotel – stocked a pie bar to the hilt. I had the rhubarb pie, with a crumb crust on top, and would like to have put the leftovers in my purse.

Thanks to all who organized. I’d like to make particular mention of Jackie Rae Greening of CFCW, who sits on the board of CapitalCare and who hosted the event, charming the crowd with her sincerity and professionalism. Her mom is a resident of a CapitalCare facility, and Jackie Rae is obviously very committed to the wellbeing of the organization. I look forward to next year’s outing.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I had no idea this was back. 400 people is quite a good turnout.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...t-on-the-field
    http://feastonthefield.weebly.com/

All funds raised by the Capital Care Foundation go towards patient comforts. The Capital Care Foundation is non profit. They do a lot of great things for the peple in their nursing facilities. I'm glad it was a success.

http://www.capitalcarefoundation.net/about.asp

Yup, great success again and building...
    www.decl.org