Thread: FISE - Edmonton on short list for international sports event

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Default FISE - Edmonton on short list for international sports event

Edmonton on short list for international sports event
    Edmonton, AB, Canada / iNews880
    Scott Johnston

Edmonton has made the short list with it’s bid for an international sporting event you probably have never heard of. The ‘Festival of International Extreme Sports’ World Series. Think Summer X-games with BMX biking, skate-boarding and other sports.

The eye opener for the rights holders, “Hurricane” was the Red Bull Crashed Ice. “That was part of why we’re bidding,” said Candice Stasynec from the city’s events office. “Hopefully it’s part of why we’ll win.”

“They couldn’t believe the reaction of Edmontians to Red Bull. Just not the numbers but how it felt. People were so excited about it and came out and supported it.”

Especially Stasynec said because of the young demographic of those who took it in. “Social media hits and all that were fantastic, so we started to look for other events that were action sports oriented and would appeal to a young demographic so we’re really excited about the possibility of the FICE World Series.”

The FICE World Series has a foot hold on Europe and Asia, and Stasynec said Hurricane is now looking to break into North America. She saw it first hand in France. “In Montpellier this spring they had 55,000 people over five days watching it. I can’t remember the social media hits but it was 110 million interactions. It was amazing.”

Many details need to be worked out, like where in the city it would be held, since Louise McKinney Park could be tricky with LRT construction.

Denver, and three other bids from Russia, Qatar, and United Arab Emerits are Edmonton’s competition.

They’ll know in September.
    http://www.inews880.com/2015/07/16/e...sc_ref=twitter

C2E Long Term Contributor

Accelerate the redevelopment of QE Park on the south side of the river, ideal for that. That or temporary setup in LMP.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

it would look great in Queen E Park + Kinsmen. do they still do the street luge?

C2E Continued Contributor
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Edmonton to host extreme sports championship this summer

In its only Canadian stop, the FISE World Series 2016 (FWS) will take over Hawrelak Park from Sept. 16 to 18.

EDMONTON — A major BMX sporting event is coming to Edmonton this summer.

In its only Canadian stop, the FISE World Series 2016 (FWS) will take over Hawrelak Park and Gallagher Park from Sept. 16 to 18.

The event is touted as an action sports championship that brings together the world’s best riders in BMX, skateboarding, mountain biking, inline skating and wakeboarding.

Mountain bike slopestyle, skateboard, BMX flat and freestyle competitions will take place during the event in Edmonton. The event, which is free to attend, also comes with vendors and beer gardens.

Edmonton Economic Development said the city’s success with the Red Bull Crashed Ice last year put the city in a good place to bid for the extreme sports event.

“I think that Edmonton’s been identified as one of the best sport cities in the world,” Ward 9 councillor Bryan Anderson said. “Major events come here because of a great volunteer work ethic and an interest and the proof is in the pudding.

“We’ve proven that if it comes here it’s going to get done, it’s going to get done well.”

The City of Edmonton and Edmonton Tourism are contributing $1.5 million to the event. The city anticipates it could bring in upwards of $20.5 million to the Edmonton region. Anderson believes it will also draw in people from neighbouring provinces.

“There should be something for everybody. Not one thing for everybody but a variety of things that will give visitors to our city and people who live in our city an opportunity to enjoy sport, recreation and entertainment.”

The FISE World Series was created in 1997 in Montpellier, France. Since then it’s hosted more than 240 events around the world. It’s the third-largest gathering event in France behind the Tour de France and the Vendee Globe.

On its website, FWS said Edmonton is the perfect location for a FISE event because of its arts and culture scene, and because it has one of the biggest French communities in western Canada.

The FWS makes its first stop in Montpellier, France from May 4-8. Other stops on the 2016 tour include Osijek, Croatia, Denver, Colorado and Chengdu, China.

The event is for amateurs and pros. Participants compete to accumulate points and win prize money in each of the stops. Overall rankings are calculated at the end of the year to determine overall winner in each discipline.

Edmonton has signed on to host the event for three years, with the option to extend.
    http://globalnews.ca/news/2608452/ed.../?sf23409637=1

Ha ha, awesome.

Top bicycle tour in Canda.
    Annually.

Top track and field event in Canada.
    Annually.

Top triathlon stop in Canada.
    Annually.

Top extreme sports event in Canada.
    Annually.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Which track/field event is annual?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Edmonton to host extreme sports championship this summer

In its only Canadian stop, the FISE World Series 2016 (FWS) will take over Hawrelak Park from Sept. 16 to 18.

EDMONTON — A major BMX sporting event is coming to Edmonton this summer.

In its only Canadian stop, the FISE World Series 2016 (FWS) will take over Hawrelak Park and Gallagher Park from Sept. 16 to 18.

The event is touted as an action sports championship that brings together the world’s best riders in BMX, skateboarding, mountain biking, inline skating and wakeboarding.

Mountain bike slopestyle, skateboard, BMX flat and freestyle competitions will take place during the event in Edmonton. The event, which is free to attend, also comes with vendors and beer gardens.

Edmonton Economic Development said the city’s success with the Red Bull Crashed Ice last year put the city in a good place to bid for the extreme sports event.

“I think that Edmonton’s been identified as one of the best sport cities in the world,” Ward 9 councillor Bryan Anderson said. “Major events come here because of a great volunteer work ethic and an interest and the proof is in the pudding.

“We’ve proven that if it comes here it’s going to get done, it’s going to get done well.”

The City of Edmonton and Edmonton Tourism are contributing $1.5 million to the event. The city anticipates it could bring in upwards of $20.5 million to the Edmonton region. Anderson believes it will also draw in people from neighbouring provinces.

“There should be something for everybody. Not one thing for everybody but a variety of things that will give visitors to our city and people who live in our city an opportunity to enjoy sport, recreation and entertainment.”

The FISE World Series was created in 1997 in Montpellier, France. Since then it’s hosted more than 240 events around the world. It’s the third-largest gathering event in France behind the Tour de France and the Vendee Globe.

On its website, FWS said Edmonton is the perfect location for a FISE event because of its arts and culture scene, and because it has one of the biggest French communities in western Canada.

The FWS makes its first stop in Montpellier, France from May 4-8. Other stops on the 2016 tour include Osijek, Croatia, Denver, Colorado and Chengdu, China.

The event is for amateurs and pros. Participants compete to accumulate points and win prize money in each of the stops. Overall rankings are calculated at the end of the year to determine overall winner in each discipline.

Edmonton has signed on to host the event for three years, with the option to extend.
    http://globalnews.ca/news/2608452/ed.../?sf23409637=1
    Sweet!
    Right out my front door at Gallagher Hill, that will be cool.

Default FISE 2016 - Sept 6-18

http://www.fise.fr/en

What a coup for the City.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Which track/field event is annual?
    "Track Town Canada"

"Edmonton's Track Town Classic – ranked in the Top 30 in the World in 2015"

(Used to be called the Edmonton International Track Classic, and for one year, the Donovan Bailey Track Classic.)

Absolutely. This is huge.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

How cool would it be to see this spread out over the Kinsmen, Queen E Park, Telus Field, and the parking lots immediately adjacent? Legislature, High Level Bridge, Skyline, Walterdale Bridge all as the backdrop.

Of course it would be a lot better if the Walterdale were actually completed for it.

*EDIT* just read that it'll be in Hawrelak, which is also good. I had a crippling fear that it would be at Northlands.
    Last edited by Alex.L; 31-03-2016 at 09:13 AM.

Any word on television coverage?

^^the bridge will look more or less complete by then...
    www.decl.org

^ yes they will have the welders hidden inside the bridge still doing 'repairs'.

Edmonton included:

heh

i'm seriously acronym challenged. I can't figure this out anywhere.

What exactly does FISE stand for?

https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=...nds+for&nfpr=1

Still don't know.

one would think its actually named somewhere..

heres what FAQ means to me;

Frequent Acronym Questions...

lol
    Last edited by Replacement; 08-04-2016 at 02:42 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^ Festival International des Sports Extrêmes

Looks awesome, actually.

Reminder...
    www.decl.org

Looking at their material, it appears Gallagher Park is no longer mentioned. Am I seeing that right?

See you all on Saturday.

Holy crap:

Starts at 1:00 P.M. today.

Here now for the slopestyle qualifiers:

Judas Priest, Metallica, Prodigy, front row?

Fun!

Great time at FISE today ! Recommend it if the suns out tomorrow.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

City of Edmonton@CityofEdmonton

City of Edmonton Retweeted FISE
    Just announced @fiseworld extreme sports festival will be back in #yeg Sept 15-17 at Hawrelak Park! @EdmontonTourism@TravelAlberta
    https://twitter.com/CityofEdmonton/s...33954904412160

Great to see it back, hopefully they can build some excitement Downtown for this as well. Barely knew it was on last year.
    www.decl.org