Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Slumlords, Sustainable Development, and the neighbourhoods that pay the consequences

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Two or three of them. One hasn't returned.

The original statement of claim can be linked here: http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...-landlord.html
    Last edited by EveB; 01-04-2016 at 09:25 AM.

240glt I heard?
    I too was listed in the lawsuit however was not served

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

So has it been dropped, as far you know? It had a pretty absurd list of defendants.

Not at all. A friend told me lawsuits of this nature can be quite common to silence opponents who may be "loud & objective. You will not hear anything from the people who were subpoenaed.
    In my opinion Carmen went to far by going after prominent individuals in his lawsuit

The suspicious (drug/gang-like) activity around the sketchy rental house on my street has been really quiet in the last week or so. I cannot help but wonder if there was any sort of connection to this recent bust. Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

You know how the cops cheered when the guy involved in Ezio Faraone's death was found dead from an overdose? I will do the same when I read an article about Pervez/Shah's death. I actually look forward to that day. This guy is a loser and the planet will be a better place upon his demise.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nces-1.3684274

Edmonton landlord arrested again, charged with weapons offences

An Edmonton landlord who once served time in prison for mortgage fraud has been arrested for the third time in less than a year, and now faces several new charges.Edmonton police say officers executed a search warrant on a property near 93rd Street and 111th Avenue on Friday and seized ammunition, an edged weapon and stolen property.
    Abdullah Shah was arrested and charged with two counts each of careless use of a firearm, possession of an offensive weapon dangerous to the public and possession of stolen property under $5,000. He was also charged with three counts of breach of recognizance.
    A bail hearing is scheduled for Tuesday.
    Shah, also known by the name Carmen Pervez, was charged in March with possession for the purpose of trafficking, possession of stolen property over $5,000 and breach of bail conditions.
    In December 2015, he was charged with 13 counts of possession for the purpose of trafficking, one charge of possession of stolen property over $5,000 (proceeds of crime), one charge of possession of an offensive weapon dangerous to the public and one charge of careless use of a firearm.
    Shah has said he owns about 100 rental properties in the Edmonton area.
    In 2005, he was charged in a $30-million fraud scheme that netted his companies more than $1.8 million. He pleaded guilty to 54 charges of fraud and 19 charges of possession of property obtained by crime.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Everyone's favorite slumlord arrested again
    http://globalnews.ca/news/2832288/co...-more-charges/

Abudullah Shah, also known as Carmen Pervez, was arrested Friday and charged with a slew of offences, including careless use of a firearm.
    Edmonton police executed a search warrant on a property near 93 Street and 111 Avenue on Friday afternoon.
    Ammunition, an edged weapon and stolen property were found and seized, EPS said.

Shah, 36, was arrested and charged with two counts of careless use of a firearm, possession of an offensive weapon dangerous to the public, two counts of possession of stolen property under $5,000 and three counts of breaching recognizance.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

so, ignoring the conviction for a $30-million fraud scheme that netted his companies more than $1.8 million (for which he pleaded guilty to 54 charges of fraud and 19 charges of possession of property obtained by crime), he was charged 7 months ago with 13 counts of possession for the purpose of trafficking, one charge of possession of stolen property over $5,000 (proceeds of crime), one charge of possession of an offensive weapon dangerous to the public and one charge of careless use of a firearm and then charged 4 months ago with ipossession for the purpose of trafficking, possession of stolen property over $5,000 and breach of bail conditions only to be charged today with with two counts each of careless use of a firearm, possession of an offensive weapon dangerous to the public and possession of stolen property under $5,000 and three counts of breach of recognizance...

is it just me wondering wtf is broken here?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Isn't this guy clearly a dangerous offender? Every single chance he gets, he's committing crimes with absolutely no regard for the consequences. They may not be physically violent, but they have deep and wide ranging impacts. He should be put away indefinitely.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E SME

I'd like to see an access to information search on the properties that Shah owns. Then share that information with the community leagues so he can be run out.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

^I'm rather confident that has already happened, and is part of why he's suing a community league, along with a city councilor and people on C2E. This guy's a real piece of work.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

f this were the US, the 3 strikes law would put him behind bars for a very long time.

I hope nobody here has been terribly inconvenienced by his defamation lawsuit.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

3 strikes laws are unjust and are being repealed. Automatic severe sentences for minor crimes is silly. This guy needs to be put away on the merits of his long list of serious crimes, not a default "steal 3 chocolate bars go to jail forever" law.

^Agreed, the 3 strikes law is definitely too punitive so I'm not advocating for it. But the sentence for his new transgression should reflect his repeated offences and general propensity for crime.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

I'd rather C2E than work!

I still have a problem with someone being convicted of a multi-million dollar fraud being allowed to retain millions in assets. Instead of putting him in jail, his houses should have been transferred to the financial institutions he defrauded. Scammers shouldn't be sent to jail, they should be made penniless and sent out onto the street with nothing. He does deserve jail time if he is convicted of the weapons offenses though.

I'm not entirely sure how all of his assets were not seized as proceeds of crime. Everything he has was gained from his lifelong criminal enterprise.

^Pretty sure Alberta's only had civil forfeiture powers since 2008, which was three years after the charges brought in 2005.

C2E SME

I wonder how many numbered companies Shah had when it came to purchasing property on Kijiji or at other auctions.

^^ I wasn't thinking of civil forfeiture, which was a terrible idea that should be reversed ASAP. Rather, the base sentence for a conviction of theft or fraud should be restitution to the victim, with the criminal court judge able to impose additional penalties in the form of fines of up to double the amount stolen and/or community service.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Chinatown resident blames cluster of social agencies for drug-addict 'ghetto'
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...-addict-ghetto

Four times a day, Georgina Fiddler, 63, takes her little dog Jack for a walk through her neighbourhood. Fiddler loves the area, with its bakeries, vibrant business sector and many fine families, but she is also angered and upset by what she sees on her walks.
    She lives downtown in an apartment in the Hull Block in Chinatown, an area that is a bustling business and residential district by day, but by night turns into a chaotic public party place for Edmonton’s homeless and its drug and alcohol addicts.

“It’s like party central,” Fiddler says. “I don’t mean that in an ignorant way, but these are people who are lost.”
    On her walks, she often sees addicts passed out or camping in the alley, along with empty bottles and used syringes. One recent morning, as local children were catching a school bus, a man sat on the sidewalk nearby injecting drugs.
    “Why are these children not valued the same as the children that are in Garneau, Terwillegar?” Fiddler asks.
    Fiddler is so fed up with lack of action to clean up the area that she’s started her own “Make It Awkward” campaign, both calling attention to the suffering while also calling out inner-city social agencies, which Fiddler says do too much enabling of the problem and not enough fixing.
    She’s also fed up with the policy of concentrating social services for the homeless and the addicted in this one neighbourhood.
    One evening she was out for a walk with Jack when she came upon a large group of people drinking and blocking the sidewalk. Fiddler moved onto the road to walk by, but had an altercation with an intoxicated native woman, who cursed Fiddler as a “white b–ch,” then chased Fiddler down the street (Fiddler has light skin but is Métis, a descendant of Hudson Bay company fur trader Peter Fidler, 1769-1822, and his Cree wife, Mary Mackagonne).
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

No neighbourhood in the city wants these people. Maybe they could move the govt services to a wilderness area. People could live in the bushes, drink and use needles etc among the trees, they don't complain. Be better than the river valley, our parks, back alleys, sidewalks and parking lots. Or, have the services in the north where a lot of these people come from. Take the services to them rather than have them come to the services here. Just saying. Their last resort neighbourhood now wants them out of here so maybe it's time to do something about it.

C2E SME

The worst part about the problems with the homeless people is that their movement is unpredictable. They just show up in a new neighbourhood, or settle in the river valley, after getting kicked out of one. I still wonder what percentage of homeless are from outside of Edmonton. Also, I wonder if the new homeless hangout is around 124 Street and 118 Avenue.

I've no problem with people making their home in the treed areas of the River Valley but unfortunately they seem to always leave piles of garbage all over the site even after they have left and moved on. Some of them "haul in" garbage in shopping carts which are often left there contaminating the area with the contents. Sorry to say this but the attempts to house these people in new apartments seems to be attracting them from all over the place. Maybe City Council should re-think some of their plans.

C2E SME

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123