Thread: Admin in hospital. Apologies for the slow response times.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Default Admin in hospital. Apologies for the slow response times.

I have not been feeling well the past year. A leg I've battled cancer and several post operative infections and appliance refits finally became so infected that I had no choice.

An emergency amputation was performed just above the knee. I've been in the hospital since Wednesday. I've never felt pain like this.

I am not sure if I can keep C2E running given there is now an expectation of 3+ months of inpatient rehab at the Glenrose. I'll need to focus whatever non-medicated time to the contract that pays me, but I think that will not work out either. Until I get a stable set of meds, my brain is too fuzzy and I sleep a lot.

I will keep this site running as much as I can. The excellent thread moderators are still here, and I have the credit card room to keep paying the legacy hosting agreement. New user adds will be slower.
    Ow

Cheering for ya.

Will try to behave.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Wishing you a speedy recovery, don't worry about us until you get better.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

get well, I know what it's like to have drugs and disease strip your energy. Hang in there, don't lose yourself.

Get well Richard, I'll help keep an eye on things here.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Thinking of you buddy and great to see you a couple of weeks ago.

We can/will all step up, please advise what else we can take over.

Hoping recovery goes well.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

Take care of yourself. We will try to behave ourselves. Good luck
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Very sorry to hear you are in hospital. Having a hubby myself who is in hospital very ill I understand some of what your going through. I am tired of seeing the inside of a hospital and I am not the patient. Your primary function right now is to get well and that should be all you are concentrating on. We all appreciate the time and effort you put in on the forum and I should imagine sometimes you must feel like you are herding cats. For me it's been a real diversion posting as it's taking my mind of things. For you, at the moment, it's not a diversion you need to have. You are heading in the right direction going to the Glenrose as it's an excellent facility. Hopefully you will be discharged by Xmas. Get well soon.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Get well Richard, best wishes, hope you are feeling better soon.

Its been a pleasure to discuss topics with you here and look forward to more of that.

Glenrose is a good facility as mentioned. Take your time there working through your recovery. Hope you're getting all the care and attention you deserve.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Just want to add my hopes for a full recovery for you Richard. I wouldn't have known without just having seen IanO's comment in another thread. All the best to you.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

All the best to you. And if you want to shut down c2e to focus on your health and recovery I don't think you should think twice about it. You health and well being has to come first.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Saying some prayers for you. Stay strong. Hoping for a fast recovery for you.

grish

Richard,
    Sorry to hear about the state of your health. Be strong. Hope your pain will be under control soon and the rest of health to follow. Best of luck during your rehab too.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    All the best to you. And if you want to shut down c2e to focus on your health and recovery I don't think you should think twice about it. You health and well being has to come first.
    We can all assist.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

God speed, Richard
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Hope things work out Richard. This is a great board you came up with, but the important thing now is your health.

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone!

I appreciate the comments.

I could do without this phantom limb and phantom pain scenario. It certainly is living up to the hype, the billing, and the brochure. Just think, 100% of the pain without any additional ballast?

Ok, bad joke, but without trying a little humour, I'll go crazy.

Plus, I think the nurses are getting tired of my attempts at humour for security questions. They always ask me to spell my last name to check it against my badge, and I say that won't help. Spelling out my last name is M-Y-L-A-S-T-N-A-M-E. The shot usually is rather hastily put in so I can shut up, and I notice the burn is directly proportional to the enjoyment of the joke.

I got to see the wound today. It is surreal sitting there starting at this alien thing with ooze, an "ear" as the surgeons called it, blisters so big they could be eyes, and other things that made me go "whaaaa?", yet surgeons saying how great the wound looks. I'll take their word for it. After all, I do have a couple of the best surgeons around, and the vast majority of the frontline staff I've ran into here are going above and beyond. I bow to you.

Goodnight, or good morning now.
    Ow

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

All the best. Hope recovery proceeds smoothly and quickly.

I wish you all the best, Richard. Your contributions to this site and to the aviation museum are greatly appreciated.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Get better Admin!

I wish you all the best Richard, feel better soon!
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Take care and heal up. Don't worry about us, we'll try not to burn the place down.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Well, "When the cat's away..."... you know, I might, kinda, just... well, possibly, say... revive some oldie but goodie threads, pepper conversations with outlaw words that turn into those beautiful aligned stars ****, taunt a couple posters...

C2E SME

Get well Admin.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

^ Oh - I guess The_Cat's not away.

Get well and let others take care of you!
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

C2E Continued Contributor

Get well soon, Richard!
    Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

Holy crapola. I'd say you're not really needed here anymore but I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

I hope c2e provides you continued enjoyment, purpose and sense of accomplishment, regardless.

Thank you.

Wishing you the best. Get well soon.

As much as I love coming on this site to read topics or get advice, health is more important than keeping this site running, so definitely concentrate on that and wishing you a speedy recovery!
    Edmonton ~ It may not be perfect, but it's home~

Hi Richard. A mutual friend just alerted me to your situation. I will be in contact with you shortly to see when you're up for a visit. Hang in there my friend. Kenn
    Edmonton: Capital of Canada's Bold West!

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone for your understanding.

I'm still in acute care, and this phantom pain thing is driving me batty. I am supposed to be Glenrose bound soon, and I am very much looking forward to that. I want to get into rehab ASAP and get moving onward.

Thanks to everyone with your PM's and offers of help. I will write back this week, as I think a couple things could change quickly to help.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me, or even ask them here.

Spill, C2E does provide me a sense of accomplishment. It is nice to see some of the work come to fruition, and I hope to make things even better when I get my new leg under me!
    Ow

Partially Addicted to C2E

Wishing you a smooth recovery! Thank you for all your work in making this online community possible!
    Imagine: a world free of hypothetical situations!

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Praying for your speedy recovery both physically and mentally.

Get well soon!!!

C2E Continued Contributor

Sorry I missed all of this Richard, and so sorry to hear about the amputation. But as you said, it was a necessary thing to do. Like all of the others, I hope you have a speedy recovery and successful rehab. Once you're ready, I'll buy you a pint of your choice. All the best; take care.
    Almost always open to debate...

C2E Super Addict

^Ditto. (Apart from the buying you a pint bit. )
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

Hopefully you are on the mend and feeling better by the day.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.