Thread: @#&$! Christmas Lights!

Partially Addicted to C2E

Default @#&$! Christmas Lights!

I so hate refreshing our house's xmas lights! I don't particularly care for them, but wifey loves them, so yeah.

Is anyone really knowledgeable on choosing good xmas lights and mounting them? Are any particular lights better than others for lasting a long time and delivering good results?

I am so NOT domestic, so would appreciate any good counsel in this area.

Imagine: a world free of hypothetical situations!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Over the past several years I have bought my lights from Canadian Tire. They have multiple sets that come with mounting clamps that are integrated as part of the string of lights. They take very little time to install, and come with plastic storage boxes for Summer storage. As far as being good the only thing I can tell you is that pretty much all lights are ,made in the Orient but if you remove them every Spring and store them,they should last for years. I thought all you people in St.Albert were domestic
    Last edited by Barry N; 21-11-2015 at 08:35 AM.
    Noah's ark was built by volunteers...... The Titanic was built by professionals.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Friendly hint, cat, but if you're mostly looking for advice, you might wanna put this in Ask Ed, rather than Rants. Not that I mind it being here, but you'd possibly get more of the replies that you want in the other section.

I hate putting up the lights also, but I also have a wife, so ya... same story.

Anyway, this year putting up the lights was super easy the way I did it.

1. Don't climb up on the roof and don't bother with the ladder.
    2. Only install the lights around the windows, doors and along the bottom of your siding
    3. Don't bother with light clips. Just stuff the lights into the siding trim.

It literally took me about 10 minutes, and the wife is happy. If I remember later I'll try to get a picture so you can see how it looks.
    Last edited by Vincent; 21-11-2015 at 03:32 PM.

grish

wonder if one could just project them from outside onto your house... that's what I would look for if I actually had to put them up...

ps googled it... actually exist: https://www.google.ca/search?q=exter...w=1920&bih=923

Many of my lights stay stapled to my house all year (LEDs don't fade in the sun like incandescents do), and any additions or repairs are done in October. Everything about the process is easier when it is warmer out.

Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    wonder if one could just project them from outside onto your house... that's what I would look for if I actually had to put them up...

ps googled it... actually exist: https://www.google.ca/search?q=exter...w=1920&bih=923
    There was a story on the news last night out of Florida about those projected laser lights being a problem to low flying aircraft. So some care must be taken as to placement of the projector unit.
    http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/weird...lane/76094132/
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post

Ya, we considered getting one of those this year. Opted not to. They're neat but I don't think they look as nice as the strings.

What I would be interested in is permanent lighting. Kind of like this: http://inceptionlighting.com/ or this http://www.hclights.com/permanent/. I'm actually surprised none of the builders are offering this as an option yet.

Does anyone know where to buy a plug? that you can plug indoor Christmas tree lights into. This plug? goes into the wall then you plug your lights into the plug and it's supposed to make your Xmas tree lights flash/blink. I'm not even sure it is a plug as I seem to have seen something that does that years ago but it was not a plug. I'm not even sure what the 'thing' is called but whatever it is I would like to know where to find one. Thanks.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

We took a drive to Old Glenora and was surprised by the lack of lighting as opposed to other far less affluent areas.That and Jasper Ave with it's drab and cold appearance.Seasonal lights are a abysmal joke. 124st looks good as does Whyte.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Check out the video on these puppies: http://www.movilume.com/#movilume

I saw them on a house in Rutherford. Not cheap no doubt, but they're up there year round and by day all you really see is like a 2-inch bead of quarter-round along the eaves. Pretty impressive.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Check out the video on these puppies: http://www.movilume.com/#movilume

I saw them on a house in Rutherford. Not cheap no doubt, but they're up there year round and by day all you really see is like a 2-inch bead of quarter-round along the eaves. Pretty impressive.
    Great on a single dwelling close together they look fine.Still, a lack of color. Sparce and unattractive running down the entrance to our city's core. We can do far better than that.

I wouldn't say a lack of colour - several hundred can be displayed, but they do look a bit 'clinical' to me. They don't have the sparkle or haphazardness of regular lights. There's no 'Griswold' factor.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    I wouldn't say a lack of colour - several hundred can be displayed, but they do look a bit 'clinical' to me. They don't have the sparkle or haphazardness of regular lights. There's no 'Griswold' factor.
    LOL I guess I'm just in need of color at this point Too dark for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    We took a drive to Old Glenora and was surprised by the lack of lighting as opposed to other far less affluent areas.That and Jasper Ave with it's drab and cold appearance.Seasonal lights are a abysmal joke. 124st looks good as does Whyte.
    Lack of kids I think.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    Lack of kids I think.
    Or money....