Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Enough of these 'I'm Offended, It's not Politically Correct' people already

[QUOTE=KC;802880][QUOTE=Gemini;802861]
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    ‘He’ and ‘she’ are now ‘ze’ at Oxford

Students at Oxford have been told to use gender neutral pronouns such as “ze” rather than “he” or “she”.

The move, outlined in a students’ union leaflet, is intended to stop transgender students being offended. Deliberately using the wrong pronoun for a transgender person is an offence under Oxford’s behaviour code.

Students hope the use of gender neutral pronouns will be extended to lectures and seminars. The gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell welcomed the step: “This issue isn’t about being PC. It’s about respecting people’s right to define themselves as neither male nor female.”
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ne...ford-3kb33jtp8

That's exactly what I proposed to friends when discussing this. Call everyone an "it". Simple. People walk up and ask me about my dog saying what is it? What is its name, etc.
    It works for me or should I say it? There is no I in team but there is a ze. If I am referring to my self and I do not exist, at least in the physical self on the forum so I must be it or byte or bit as it is singular.

So from the first sentence, 'It works for me or should I say it?' Should be 'It works for bit?' Bit likes to use it because hir one will offended by what bit says and it won't come back to bite it. Are it learning anything bit is teaching it?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post
    What do you care what person X wants to be called? If "ze" is how that person wants to be called, why are you so against it?

If someone identifies as anything, to deny that identification is an act of bullying.

And all bullies are cowards before they are anything else.

And this place is full, chock full of bullies. Well, like anywhere else.
    Ah, the age old question of 'what's in a name'.
    Suggestion, put an extra capital S after the A in your name. There, perfect. Now it's official.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

I propose we use 'comrade' as our gender-neutral pronoun for everyone. Problem solved.

I propose we use 'comrade' as our gender-neutral pronoun for everyone. Problem solved.
    I would be offended by being called a term commonly associated with repression as comrade is in terms of old anti-Communist movies, TV shows, etc.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Here's one for ya guys. Typical leftie social justice warrior kinda stuff.

Cadillac backs away from alt-right portrayal after social media blast

General Motors Co's Cadillac brand on Saturday disavowed a casting notice that called for an "alt-right (neo-Nazi)" role in a Cadillac commercial amid a storm of outrage on social media.

The casting notice, circulated on Twitter and Facebook, said an agency was looking for "any and all real alt-right thinkers/believers" and indicated the call was for a Cadillac advertisement to be filmed later this month.

The alt-right is a loose grouping characterized by a rejection of mainstream politics that includes neo-Nazis, white supremacists and anti-Semites.

Cadillac officials said on Saturday the brand "did not authorize or approve a casting notice for an 'alt-right (neo-Nazi)' role in a commercial. We unequivocally condemn the notice and are seeking immediate answers from our creative agency, production company and any casting companies involved."
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cadi...uror-1.3892166

This one belongs to be in the hall of fame here.

Imagine being offended by "Christmas music"

my lord

pun intended

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...offensive.html

I can only think the crank writing the letter was hoping to get some viral world wide fame for this drivel.

I only complain about Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga or Madonna music... hohoho
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    This one belongs to be in the hall of fame here.

Imagine being offended by "Christmas music"

my lord

pun intended

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...offensive.html

I can only think the crank writing the letter was hoping to get some viral world wide fame for this drivel.

I only complain about Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga or Madonna music... hohoho
    your link didn't so i can't comment on the details but...

i'm not one to be offended by christmas music - or at least not anymore than justin bieber, lady gaga, madonna or Kanye west or snoop dog. - per se. but i do get annoyed and frustrated when any of it is "in your face" loud and repetitive starting in early november and continuing to the new year.

i probably wouldn't write a letter to a restaurant or a clothing retailer catering to a different demographic than i represent so hopefully that doesn't make me a crank but the endless mindless exposure intended to generate dollars and not goodwill can make me a little bit cranky (okay, crankier).
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

^I generally don't like it either, so I avoid stores and malls that over-do it. I heard one playing Vince Guaraldi recently, didn't mind that so much (Charlie Brown jazz stuff).

^^I'm using "standard editor" as otherwise virtually none of the board functions works for me at all since the changeover. I've mentioned this in the appropriate thread.

Ill add to the list I can't link, make threads, post pictures, can't multipost.

before switching to standard editor interface I couldn't even edit posts.

In anycase what was most bothersome about the letter is the patron going to the extent of writing that on the back of the bill as if she knew what people wanted to hear and that she knew better than the business itself. The staff end up dealing with enough hassle at this or any time of year without this.

The interesting thing in this is the restaurant undoubtedly will have lost that customer but gained 100's of new ones. Good way to turn it into a positive.
    Last edited by Replacement; 12-12-2016 at 10:57 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^I generally don't like it either, so I avoid stores and malls that over-do it. I heard one playing Vince Guaraldi recently, didn't mind that so much (Charlie Brown jazz stuff).
    Was watching a PBS program on European Christmas Markets the other day. Nice program but the audio, complete with the bored narration and Jim Reeves sounding music was not doing it any favor. Throughout, we kept saying it would've been more appropriate for the program to be featuring European, not North American Christmas song renditions given it was a Christmas in Europe focus.

As in everything there is good and bad Xmas music imo. Plus that it as well has become an industry with everybody seemingly needing to put their own Christmas tunes out.

I avoid stores and malls for many reasons (crowds) and least to do with what music they play, even if it elevator music it beats Bieber.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    That's exactly what I proposed to friends when discussing this. Call everyone an "it". Simple. People walk up and ask me about my dog saying what is it? What is its name, etc.
    I would be offended by being called a term commonly associated with repression as comrade is in terms of old anti-Communist movies, TV shows, etc.
    The lack of a non-gendered personal pronoun is a long-standing deficiency of the English language that has been creating difficulty long before the current issues with people that do not want to pick one of the traditional genders. We should not need to mention or imply someone's gender in a situation where it is irrelevant (in other words, most of the time).

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    The lack of a non-gendered personal pronoun is a long-standing deficiency of the English language that has been creating difficulty long before the current issues with people that do not want to pick one of the traditional genders. We should not need to mention or imply someone's gender in a situation where it is irrelevant (in other words, most of the time).
    Hate to break it to you (not really), but there are only 2 genders. Male and female. Get over it. And yes, you're the reason Trump was elected.

I remember thinking how crazy cultures are when I took German language classes and inanimate objects were often arbitrarily described in the masculine or feminine rather than the neutral.

"In German language, there are three definite articles for nouns in singular: der for masculine nouns, die for feminine nouns and das neutral nouns. German native speakers know mostly intuitively what the article of each noun is. However, non-native speakers need to memorize the articles"
    http://www.passion4teq.com/articles/...article-rules/

^^^The question still exists between the "existence" of such terms of use (which do exist in anycase) vs their legislated and required use by the other 98%, you know, the plurality in a democracy, just because.

Next, as far as "irrelevant' goes everybody that is Male or Female and that identifies with either of those prevalent binaries (from reports more than 98% of people) are required in future to identify through a longer and longer drop down list that contains something like 8 other terms and counting depending on what year it is, etc, and that requires specific inservice training for anybody from a stockboy, busboy, waitress to business entrepreneur to Bureacrat(they'll ove this, somebody has to..) to properly differentiate and address people. Also I only wonder how long before the less than 2% start shrieking that putting Mr/Mrs at the top of the list is damning, disrespectful, perpetual hateful, etc.

Lets not stop there either. Heres some more ideas. MR doesn't have enough designations. We should also have MRP (relationship phobic ) MRA (relationship agnostic) MIA (relationship independent atheist) MRB (Mind your own business) and MRFB (Mind your own ******* business) and my favorite MrNP (not buying the popcorn)
    Last edited by Replacement; 12-12-2016 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jizzaldo View Post
    Hate to break it to you (not really), but there are only 2 genders. Male and female. Get over it. And yes, you're the reason Trump was elected.
    Only 2 genders...

specific sense of grammatical gender (the assignment of nouns to categories such as masculine, feminine and neuter). According to Aristotle, this concept was introduced by the Greek philosopher Protagoras.[12]

In 1926, Henry Watson Fowler stated that the definition of the word pertains to this grammar-related meaning:

"Gender...is a grammatical term only. To talk of persons...of the masculine or feminine g[ender], meaning of the male or female sex, is either a jocularity (permissible or not according to context) or a blunder."[13]

However, examples of the use of gender to refer to masculinity and femininity as types are found throughout the history of Modern English (from about the 14th century).

The modern academic sense of the word, in the context of social roles of men and women, dates from the work of John Money (1955), and was popularized and developed by the feminist movement from the 1970s onwards (see § Feminism theory and gender studies below). The theory was that human nature is essentially epicene and social distinctions based on sex are arbitrarily constructed. Matters pertaining to this theoretical process of social construction were labelled matters of gender.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender

THE WORD ‘MAN’ WAS ORIGINALLY GENDER NEUTRAL
    http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....ender-neutral/
    Last edited by KC; 12-12-2016 at 12:30 PM.

It is relevant in that it provides an additional data point in zero additional syllables and only limited information about the person we're talking about. which is important since conserving syllables is the while point of pronouns.

We have other means to allow people to be called the custom word of their choice (we call them "names"), and we can always use less efficient words like "that person" when unsure of the subject's sex.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    It is relevant in that it provides an additional data point in zero additional syllables and only limited information about the person we're talking about. which is important since conserving syllables is the while point of pronouns.

We have other means to allow people to be called the custom word of their choice (we call them "names"), and we can always use less efficient words like "that person" when unsure of the subject's sex.
    Whatsitsname works. As in: There goes whatsitsname... Or whatsitsface (except it wouldn't be 'appropriate' if religious attire covered the face)
    Last edited by KC; 12-12-2016 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post

The single word 'they' works in place of he or she as gender neutral pronoun.

Important to mention that pronouns, in spoken language are not abbreviations so that stating Mister is no shorter than using the term person (are there non persons as well?) (sarcasm) or server, staff, etc or any term delineating the person or role one encounters.

As far as written Mr and Mrs these are afaik somewhat outmoded terms that don't have much of any relevance that I can determine other than perhaps medical related.

Amazing really that we have a federal govt wanting to legislate what we term people when ANY prefix terms are largely irrelevant and simple names suffice.

We're all really numbers anyway..

There are a fair number of instances when it seems men were the only people around. Especially before women got the vote as before that women were basically none persons. Just take our national anthem where they used to sing 'in all thy sons command'. I'm fine with that, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Now we have changed it to 'in all of us command'. If this keeps up can you imagine all the changes that have to be made just on legal and medical documents alone. It's not just changing the wording of he/she now there are all these sub-categories to contend with. They are going to have to come up with some word that encompasses all genders or just leave gender off forms altogether.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by jizzaldo View Post
    I'm only suggesting that our language can make it unnecessary difficult to refer to a person without specifying a gender. The actual number of genders is irrelevant.
    I'm not a fan of gender as a social construct. Biology produces two sexes (except for very rare intersex conditions), but the range of most individual human characteristics is larger than any statistical difference in those characteristics between men and women. Classifying people based on "social gender" is no different than classifying them based on their Myers-Briggs personality type - occasionally interesting but usually irrelevant. Both are just ways of sorting a continuum into bins, and neither should be enforces by the rules of grammar. We need ways of identifying a person's sex where relevant, and ways of identifying a person without specifying or implying anything about their sex or gender where it is not relevant. The latter are somewhat lacking.

That is a reasonable response.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    They are going to have to come up with some word that encompasses all genders or just leave gender off forms altogether.
    Exactly. Either biological sex is relevant and should be specified as such ("sex at birth", male or female), or sex and gender are irrelevant and do not need to be specified at all.

^^^Irrelevant, is an odd word to use multiple times in context of this discussion.

Indeed Irrelevant in the dictionary is defined as the opposite of relevant.

Note that relevant is even defined in context of proportional: (part of defn contained below)

"Definition of relevant

having social relevance

proportional, relative"

Yet in this we have a federal Govt furthering LEGISLATED use of surnames that are largely irrelevant to the vast plurality. In other words irrelevant.

They are going to have to come up with some word that encompasses all genders or just leave gender off forms altogether.
    Exactly. Either biological sex is relevant and should be specified as such ("sex at birth", male or female), or sex and gender are irrelevant and do not need to be specified at all.
    Biological sex is irrelevant in approx. 99 of the instances in which I am required to identify myself as either. To me its an outmoded vestigial use of terms and with the vast majority of time being entirely unrelated and of no required significance in present day.

I find it odd that instead of getting rid of the Mr and Mrs or M/F or sex identifying requirements we are increasing the labeling terminology and even legislating its use.

I always think it's preferable to have more words to choose from.

Attempting to officially eliminate multiple descriptive words in order to replace them with a single "socially-approved" one, and then attempting to enforce its use is one of the creepiest elements of Orwell's '1984'.

Careful what you wish for. The list of names is ever expanding. I'm not kidding when I say it requires in service training or coursework to even follow what they all mean. Not sure if you are responding to me but I'm opposed to changing the status quo generally. I'm extremely opposed to legislating the changes and invoking mandated use.

Biological sex is irrelevant in approx. 99 of the instances in which I am required to identify myself as either. To me its an outmoded vestigial use of terms and with the vast majority of time being entirely unrelated and of no required significance in present day.

I find it odd that instead of getting rid of the Mr and Mrs or M/F or sex identifying requirements we are increasing the labeling terminology and even legislating its use.
    When I get asked to fill in a form under the SEX block I write in "Yes Please..."
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

^^^^^ Relevant = important, significant, required

^^^^ I agree. It is unfortunate that the modern response to injustice (real or perceived) seems to be to impose rather than remove restrictions.

^Ignoring that Relevant is rooted to terms like relate, regard, re; and others that presume context of "proportional, relative" (again part of the definition of relevant) and without which its relevant or irrelevant to whom?

Relevance/irrelevance exists, in context, in continuum, in relative and proportional terms.

Thus it follows we do not increase relevance by legislating changes that are irrelevant to the vast majority.

edit; Amen to the latter.

@PRT. Thanks or no thanks gives me an out.. Most bureaucrats are not too enticing.
    Last edited by Replacement; 12-12-2016 at 04:34 PM.

Important to mention that pronouns, in spoken language are not abbreviations so that stating Mister is no shorter than using the term person (are there non persons as well?) (sarcasm) or server, staff, etc or any term delineating the person or role one encounters.

As far as written Mr and Mrs these are afaik somewhat outmoded terms that don't have much of any relevance that I can determine other than perhaps medical related.

Amazing really that we have a federal govt wanting to legislate what we term people when ANY prefix terms are largely irrelevant and simple names suffice.

We're all really numbers anyway..
    Good points.

Names work well if known - and can be remembered.

Regarding spoken Mrs. vs Mistress, Mrs. is shorter plus calling someone Mistress rather than Mrs. today may not go over well.

...and Ms. abbreviates what?

Is it time for the government to remove all those prejudicial titles like "Your honour", etc.?

What are ‘Mrs’ and ‘Ms’ short for?

" ‘Mistress’ used to be the title prefixed to the name of a married woman, a usage dating back to the 15th century, as these early examples in the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) show:..."

The OED’s quotations documenting the usage of Ms stretch as far back as 1901:
    1901 Springfield (Mass.) Sunday Republican 10 Nov. 4/5 The abbreviation ‘Ms.’ is simple, it is easy to write, and the person concerned can translate it properly according to circumstances. For oral use it might be rendered as ‘Mizz’, which would be a close parallel to the practice long universal in many bucolic regions, where a slurred Mis’ does duty for Miss and Mrs. alike.

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2...-ms-short-for/

Ms is a good example of adding further delineation by adding a new term. I'm not sure how successful it has been though it seems that where there was an issuer perceived issue, more terms were added.

So now there is plain old Mr. and there is Miss, Ms and Mrs.. Maybe males need further delineation in their terminology.
    Last edited by KC; 12-12-2016 at 03:02 PM.

Is it time for the government to remove all those prejudicial titles like "Your honour", etc.?
    Yes, having to call people by their English honorifics like Dr., Prof. PhD, DDS, Rev., Father, Rabbi, Sharif, Imam, His Holiness, The Right Honourable (usually despicable politicians) or Your Honour; may not get far.

First you need a politician or a judge to hear your case and they don't like being called up, "Hey Ralphie Boy, how about you helping me get rid of those pretentious titles that people spent a lot of time and money on?"

SLAM! goes the phone...

Not exactly sure where this goes. Didn't want to spam teh development threads:

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...nline-backlash

Not a sign you want to put up in our hyper-sensitive society.
    I'm not trying to downplay the issue, but the reaction was sure swift. One step at a time sure, but to lambast this poor new independent establishment...

dopey sign - the woman is just walking or standing by, not even sitting down - but WTF is a "diversity inclusion professional"?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post

I'm not trying to downplay the issue, but the reaction was sure swift. One step at a time sure, but to lambast this poor new independent establishment...

Sure raises concerns about all the damage done to others by all the other jokes that have been dished out for decades. Blonde jokes, Newfoundlander jokes, married people jokes, divorced people jokes,...

While she appreciated that the restaurant took down the offensive sign, Panas recommended it reaches out to experts in the community who can put into perspective how harmful these types of jokes can be for marginalized people.

“I don’t think they really understand how inappropriate and how harmful signage like that is. People think it is a funny joke, but these are real issues that women and transwomen face every single day in society. That is nothing to laugh at,” Panas said.

Those were the old days before "diversity inclusion professionals" could making a living being publicly indignant over manufactured slights.

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post

Think of the damage the anti-bad behavior signs and ads do (like the anti-drunk driving ads showing some innocent person being hit).... "What! No way! You mean that could happen to me? I thought driving was safe. Now I must live in fear for the rest of my life because of that TV ad against drunk driving. Someone needs to put a stop to such terror inducing ads. Get on social media quick!"

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Those were the old days before "diversity inclusion professionals" could making a living being publicly indignant over manufactured slights.

Good one Spuds.

It is if you want attention, I guess.

I hope they leave it - it's just a joke. People need to lighten up.

It is if you want attention, I guess.

I hope they leave it - it's just a joke. People need to lighten up.

Ha ha. It was just a joke.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...-now-1.3878378

edit: In case it's not clear, sexual assault isn't funny.

Re Washroom sign post above.

Marni Panas; "I can't even begin to tell you how inappropriate and absolutely harmful this sign is."

Well, apparently you can, so why phrase your sentence that way?

ps Define "absolutely harmful" in this context. How does somebody write that complaint and expect to be taken seriously?

Therein lies the chief trouble with such Social Justice Warrior activism. You end up winning the momentary battle, getting a sign taken down, but what do you gain in furthering your cause and message?

Because it invariably comes across as intolerant, if not authoritarian. Which then results in opposition to such activism and for instance the context of threads like this and the water cooler conversations that in like manner ensue.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-12-2016 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    dopey sign - the woman is just walking or standing by, not even sitting down - but WTF is a "diversity inclusion professional"?
    Its often somebody unskilled, untrained, without experience, with specious, spurious qualification but chock full of spunk on telling others what they can and cannot do.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-12-2016 at 11:39 AM.

Re Washroom sign post above.

Marni Panas; "I can't even begin to tell you how inappropriate and absolutely harmful this sign is."

Well, apparently you can, so why phrase your sentence that way?

ps Define "absolutely harmful" in this context. How does somebody write that complaint and expect to be taken seriously?

Therein lies the chief trouble with such Social Justice Warrior activism. You end up winning the momentary battle, getting a sign taken down, but what do you gain in furthering your cause and message?

Because it invariably comes across as intolerant, if not authoritarian. Which then results in opposition to such activism and for instance the context of threads like this and the water cooler conversations that in like manner ensue.
    This lady is clearly and insufferable c-nt and should avoid leaving her home as she is likely to be triggered by the white-male patriarchy beating her down when she sees the stick figure on the crosswalk light.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^Takes about 5mins of reading her twitter to divine her/his whine.

I'm sure I didn't phrase that correctly. Insert proper term here......

Worst of all the person is entirely pedantic, derisive, dismissive to all that don't share the expressed views. Going as far as to label others bigots with no grounds. Oh the indescribable irony.

Social Justice Warrior bigotry in action.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-12-2016 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    sexual assault isn't funny.
    It sure isn't.

But joke signs are!

Good.

Quebec feminist author found not guilty of slandering Muslim school in Montreal
    Giuseppe Valiante, The Canadian Press
    Published Tuesday, December 13, 2016 4:26PM EST

A prominent secular feminist did not slander a Muslim school when she compared it to military training camps in Afghanistan and Pakistan, a judge ruled Tuesday.

Rather, Djemila Benhabib, an author known for her outspoken criticism of Islam, was exercising her freedom of speech on a subject of public interest, Superior Court Justice Carole Hallee wrote.

The Muslim Schools of Montreal was seeking $95,000 in damages and argued Benhabib's comments greatly tarnished its reputation.

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-fe...real-1.3201826

It sure isn't.

But joke signs are!
    Joke signs suggesting sexual assault are funny?

^Takes about 5mins of reading her twitter to divine her/his whine.

I'm sure I didn't phrase that correctly. Insert proper term here......

Worst of all the person is entirely pedantic, derisive, dismissive to all that don't share the expressed views. Going as far as to label others bigots with no grounds. Oh the indescribable irony.

Social Justice Warrior bigotry in action.
    What's really frustrating is that life is so damn good these people are finding ridiculous things to complain about, and taking it to extreme levels. This extremism exists on both ends of the spectrum and is crushing the centrist masses. In this case, when I say centrist, I mean rational-thinking folks that fall anywhere on the spectrum that aren't in crazy territory.

Agreed - she knew what she was talking about, why we would want to censor people from speaking out against schools that force girls to subjugate themselves to men, and require highly sexist clothing, is beyond me:

"(The school) resembles the kind of indoctrination similar to what goes on in a military camp in Afghanistan or Pakistan," she told the radio host.

Benhabib added during the interview the school "models itself on a society different than ours. It's a model where women have to lower their heads and walk behind men. Where kids are forced to learn Qur'anic verses and where, probably, men will commit honour crimes against their sisters."

Benhabib, an award-winning author, was born in Ukraine to a Muslim-Algerian father and a Greek-Cypriot mother.

She has said she "suffered through an Islamic educational system" and has vowed to fight against what she calls "political Islam."
    http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/quebec-fe...real-1.3201826
    Last edited by moahunter; 14-12-2016 at 12:34 PM.

It sure isn't.

But joke signs are!
    I never said that.

It sure isn't.

But joke signs are!
    I never said that.
    Hence the two separate sentences.

However, there's this stuff and I'm not sure what to make of some of it - especially Mr. Rogers:

35 Scenes From Childhood Shows That Will Now Traumatize You Forever

http://distractify.com/old-school/20...ned-1197775229
    Last edited by KC; 14-12-2016 at 02:03 PM.

It sure isn't.

But joke signs are!
    I never said that.
    Are you saying this sign isn't suggesting that people peek over the stall wall?

Edit: or that if it's funny if someone does.
    Last edited by Channing; 14-12-2016 at 02:21 PM.

It sure isn't.

But joke signs are!
    I never said that.
    Maybe its a misappropriated warning sign.

It sure isn't.

But joke signs are!
    I never said that.
    Of course it's not. The sign isn't giving "instructions", it's a gag. It's humorous and whimsical because everyone knows that people aren't supposed to do that.

I cannot believe I have to explain this joke to you.

Are you someone who will peek into the next stall because of a "joke" sign?

Yeah you still haven't explained to me how joking about someone invading bathroom privacy is funny or appropriate.

And yes, someone might see this joke sign and actually do it, 'as a joke', because, "it's just a joke! I didn't mean anything by it."

edit: Would it be funny if it was a women peeking over at a man? A man peeking over at a man? Anyone peeking over at a kid? Where is the funny line? What if the person ha had a camera in the sign?
    Last edited by Channing; 14-12-2016 at 04:08 PM.

^I guess you never found "Revenge of the Nerds", or "Porkies", or even "American Pie", funny then (what a dull upbringing - seems "fun" = "assault" now for the politically correct mob)...

C2E Continued Contributor

Q:How many radical feminists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    A: That's not funny.

Default One gay mans lonely fight against Ontarios new Law baning "Mother" and "Father"

Interesting article here in the National Post:

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...her-and-father

In a nut shell, the "transgender movement" to turn us all into genderless (and it seems humorless) neuters, isn't consistent with what most gay men and women want - they don't want to deny their sexuality or pretend that biology doesn't matter, they want to instead celebrate the differences.

Mocking the transgender argument that people are whatever gender they feel they are — male, female, something in between, or none of the above — Clark refuses to concede longstanding facts of life: “Men don’t have vaginas or female anatomy … and women don’t have penises,” he says. “There are two sexes — two, not an unknown number.” Clark also ridicules a change that Bill 28 will make to Ontario’s Vital Statistics Act. Where it now reads “’birth means the complete expulsion or extraction from its mother of a fetus…” DiNovo is changing to “the complete expulsion or extraction from a person of a fetus…” It is, Clark says, as though a mother were, like Atwood’s handmaids, “generic, bodiless, (and) sexless.”

Clark played hardball with the committee, but he had a point when he lectured the MPPs that they had never been elected or given a mandate to socially re-engineer the province. He testified: “you had one job: clearing up parental rights for gay and lesbian couples. Yet you arrogated the right to … deny biological sex.” Speaking to Di Novo, he reminded her, “Human biology did not change because you got elected to the Legislature, Ms. DiNovo…”

“Gays and lesbians should have had an amicable separation from transgenders many years ago,” Clark believes (I’ve also long held this opinion). The transgender agenda to deconstruct biology out of existence can only harm gay rights, he says, as the free-for-all of gender fluidity subsumes all sexual identities. The identity of gays and lesbians is distinctly connected to their sexual orientation; he doesn’t want them to be robbed of that. He calls DiNovo “The single greatest enemy that the legitimately constituted gay and lesbian community in Ontario faces.”

Heterosexuals, whether socially conservative or just plain commonsensical, simply can’t say this kind of thing nowadays without serious consequences. And when a biology-friendly gay man says it, he is ignored. Cheri DiNovo is wrong, but she is, alas, the Zeitgeist That Must Be Obeyed.
    Last edited by moahunter; 14-12-2016 at 05:08 PM.

Thanks moahunter.

I like the picture of Joe Clark after they turned off his mic. Freedom of speech and all that B.S.

I object that microphones are deliberately shaped like phallic symbols. Do people normally speak to someone's di**? That would exclude half of the population. There should be a law that forces companies to make microphones shaped like a human ear which is what people normally speak into.

Now that may resemble a va***a but that is another matter. Audiophiles Unite!

edit: Would it be funny if it was a women peeking over at a man? A man peeking over at a man? Anyone peeking over at a kid? Where is the funny line? What if the person ha had a camera in the sign?
    Yeah, I think all of those are potentially funny. Also completely harmless because the sign isn't actually victimizing anyone (like someone actually doing it in real life).

^I guess you never found "Revenge of the Nerds", or "Porkies", or even "American Pie", funny then (what a dull upbringing - seems "fun" = "assault" now for the politically correct mob)...
    American Pie. Is that the one with the pedophile father in it?

It sure isn't.

But joke signs are!
    I never said that.
    Of course it's not. The sign isn't giving "instructions", it's a gag. It's humorous and whimsical because everyone knows that people aren't supposed to do that.

Of course everyone knows it's a joke, tongue & cheeky style. But the point is, as a business owner, why even go there?

Anyone who read a newspaper the last year is aware of dysfunctional school boards (specifically Catholic) debating implementing transgender washrooms. Or Trump and his chronic misogynistic history. Or bullying, Or sexual assault. The owners of XO should of had a clue that the washroom signs were going to attract controversy.

It's not about too much "political correctness" or "people should lighten up". A new restaurant just opened for business and instead of people talking about the great service and food, they are talking about the loo signage.

Either the owners were clueless or the bad publicity was intentional.

I think they simply put that joke sign up for attention.

I never heard of this place before, but now I know about it due to the "outrage" from the snowflakes who can't take a joke.

American Pie. Is that the one with the pedophile father in it?
    I think you are thinking of American beauty (great movie - especially the plastic bag scene). American pie has an interesting scene with a web cam / computer, which is cute.

Yeah, Top_Dawg hears ya.

And all the abnormals advocate tolerance.

While at the same time wanting the severely normal to bestow on them all sorts of special status for their abnormality.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    It sure isn't.

But joke signs are!
    I never said that.

Of course everyone knows it's a joke, tongue & cheeky style. But the point is, as a business owner, why even go there?

Anyone who read a newspaper the last year is aware of dysfunctional school boards (specifically Catholic) debating implementing transgender washrooms. Or Trump and his chronic misogynistic history. Or bullying, Or sexual assault. The owners of XO should of had a clue that the washroom signs were going to attract controversy.

It's not about too much "political correctness" or "people should lighten up". A new restaurant just opened for business and instead of people talking about the great service and food, they are talking about the loo signage.

How much attention would they have gotten for great service and food?

So nice to see an educated woman go against today's female "victimized, misogynist narrative" that has come forth in spades these last few years. The real issue is that anybody that speaks up is instantly labelled sexist and woman hating, however there's a lot of women that hate men (modern day feminists) which doesn't receive the same negative media attention. Not too often you hear the word misandry out there but it's alive and well.

I've been thinking for many months of starting a thread with raw statistics that proves "male privilege" is a farce but alas don't want the drama, headache and the misogynist label because some feminist is trying too hard to paint women as token victims. Just not worth the discussion. And in this regard, the feminists have won.

See what I did there?

Society offers these triggered little wimps a hand up and instead of rising to the level of functioning adults, they try to pull us down to their pity party.

[

I think it was probably a sign that got some laughs before the SJW complained about it. I think a sign like this traditionally would not even have raised an eyebrow in the past. This phenomenon of complaining about anything and everything is a relatively new phenomenon. Nor do I want to see the world, or proprietors sanitized by such activism agenda.

I can think of a lot of washroom signs around the world in bars, pubs a whole lot more challenging, and even graphic, than this one and usually the response to it is a chuckle if it hits ones particular funny bone. I remember one bar that even had a picture of a couple elk going at it. Likely a proprietor inside joke at people are doing it in the washroom and tongue and cheek signage to that effect. Its not a prescription for action. Sometimes customers have even brought people into a pub establishment to see their humorous wall hangings, pictures, etc.

I can't link on here but google something like Scottish Humor postcards. Might not be everybodies cup of tea but its damn sad with the present day outlawing of clear attempts of humor and tongue in cheek. Some SJW would go stark raving mad looking at those.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-12-2016 at 12:55 PM.

Society offers these triggered little wimps a hand up and instead of rising to the level of functioning adults, they try to pull us down to their pity party.
    Worse, society not only caters to it, they make these people highly paid experts in tolerance and inclusion in services around the country and with no shortage of public speaking work and making people attend this bafflegab. Check out some of these SJW. They actually build careers around this "professional expertise". With departments jumping over each other seeing who can hire the most inclusion experts and be most uber tolerant in this race to wisdom..

Far left activist says the word 'terror" is offensive because Muslims may get hurt feelings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NojoND62sG4
    What the heck are they talking about. Word association - terror = muslim. Maybe today but tomorrow it will be another group. McVeigh among a whole lot of others were and still are considered terrorists. Same with those in the IRA. And here the FLQ. In the middle east there have been frequent bombings of weddings and funerals and shopping plazas etc committed by various middle eastern groups and/or religions. So of course the word terror is associated with muslims ... and catholics, and agnostics (McVeigh) and protestants and hindus, and almost every other imaginable group.

[

I think it was probably a sign that got some laughs before the SJW complained about it. I think a sign like this traditionally would not even have raised an eyebrow in the past. This phenomenon of complaining about anything and everything is a relatively new phenomenon. Nor do I want to see the world, or proprietors sanitized by such activism agenda.

I can think of a lot of washroom signs around the world in bars, pubs a whole lot more challenging, and even graphic, than this one and usually the response to it is a chuckle if it hits ones particular funny bone. I remember one bar that even had a picture of a couple elk going at it. Likely a proprietor inside joke at people are doing it in the washroom and tongue and cheek signage to that effect. Its not a prescription for action. Sometimes customers have even brought people into a pub establishment to see their humorous wall hangings, pictures, etc.

I can't link on here but google something like Scottish Humor postcards. Might not be everybodies cup of tea but its damn sad with the present day outlawing of clear attempts of humor and tongue in cheek. Some SJW would go stark raving mad looking at those.
    Everyone is jumping to the media to push this or that agenda and it's just escaping all this crap. I guess I'm doing here too. So everyone just needs to take everything with a grain of salt, plus be prepared for some hard lessons in how the world really is.

As in this one:

…and she even said everybody just stood by and watched. Now if that doesn’t provide extremists, on the other extreme, with a lot of ammunition. This story is going to be brought up for ever to discredit legit claims.

The faked news:
    "Straphangers stood by and watched as three drunk white men repeatedly screamed “Donald Trump!” and hurled anti-Islam slurs Thursday at a Muslim Baruch College student before trying to rip her hijab off of her head on an East Side subway, the woman told the Daily News.

Yasmin Seweid said she was stunned by the assault — and the fact that no one in the subway car came to her aid.

“It made me really sad after when I thought about it,” she said. “People were looking at me and looking at what was happening and no one said a thing. They just looked away.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2896163
    Muslim Woman Made Up Hate Crime on Subway, Police Say - NYTimes.com

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/12/14...of-winter.html
    Seemingly real news (watch the video):

Pictured: The cowardly Bulgarian brute 'who kicked a woman down a flight of stairs at a Berlin subway station before fleeing to his native country'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-country.html

The very interesting use of "migrants" and "muslims" and attempting to tie the two together as suppression of video facts in this 'article' by the REBEL (very interesting that before anyone is caught that they were deemed to be migrants in the headline without any reference to how that determination was made):

Migrants kick German woman down stairs, police search for VIDEO LEAKER

http://www.therebel.media/migrants_k...r_video_leaker
    Last edited by KC; 15-12-2016 at 01:37 PM.

Worse, society not only caters to it, they make these people highly paid experts in tolerance and inclusion in services around the country and with no shortage of public speaking work and making people attend this bafflegab. Check out some of these SJW. They actually build careers around this "professional expertise". With departments jumping over each other seeing who can hire the most inclusion experts and be most uber tolerant in this race to wisdom..
    Absolutely. Look at what's happening at UofT and Jordan Peterson. You have these highly educated people in Mary Bryson, AW Peet, Brenda Cossman, etc. that are desperately attempting to turn academia into some kind of bullshite factory and using historical oppression of minorities as a means to justify minority oppression of the majority, in a manner that is, by design, meant to hurt others as opposed to preventing oppression. You know the human race is losing vs. itself when there's risk of it becoming illegal to fail to recognize and address a person you've never met or don't know as the gender-fluid dragonkin attack chopper they identify as, but look like a run of the mill male, female, or somewhere in between.

^ That is exactly the problem with much of today's political left. In decades past, unfairness was confronted by campaigns against laws and regulations that prohibited certain groups of people from doing things. Now, perceived unfairness results in calls for laws and regulations that prohibit people from doing things.

It's always good to hear a voice of reason. We need more of them.

It must be exhausting for these "PC police" to constantly try and find a victim in every possible uneventful, mundane scenario they are confronted with.

^Probably not, because it takes so little effort to be offended and then mouth off, just like here.

It must be exhausting for these "PC police" to constantly try and find a victim in every possible uneventful, mundane scenario they are confronted with.
    Cross referencing to the sportsbra in the rec centre issue.

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...845#post803845

Edmonton woman told sports bra inappropriate for city recreation centre

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ntre-1.3898742

Usually women who find offence over the smallest slights are shrill and high strung. It's unfortunate they often dominate women who really could not care what guys (or other women) think of them. A person has to be very insecure to see offence in just about everything. Either that or they are paranoid. I get it that teen girls can be emotional about certain things but that is all part of growing up. It's a learning process and sometimes it is not easy. By the time you get to a certain age you should have grown out of being a victim of petty name calling or upset by other peoples opinions. It's called 'maturity'. Unfortunately it seems some women never quite reach it.

By the time you get to a certain age you should have grown out of being a victim of petty name calling or upset by other peoples opinions. It's called 'maturity'.
    If you never reach that point, you were probably not meant for this world.

No, in this brave new politically correct world where everyone gets a trophy and the smallest minority rules, they are gaining the control of the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    No, in this brave new politically correct world where everyone gets a trophy and the smallest minority rules, they are gaining the control of the majority.
    One thing I note is that confronting supposed bias, prejudice injustice, no matter how ridiculous the complaint is the new age street cred. For a younger generation for instance theres no easier way to gain credibility than to attack somebody else on whatever presumptive grounds and with these *skills* being learned on social media. So that just cutting into somebody else, even without any valid reason results in the person getting positive accolade, high fives, likes, for what is actually aggressive exchange, but couched in "cause" rhetoric.

Its the ironic aggression. Its that SJW's are invariably the bullies, the intolerant, the least likely to live and let live. Its all trained through our extremely maladaptive present day socialization. A PC attempt to out any presumed injustice and a media that reports on same is essentially rewarding individuals that do this and commensurate with how much they do it. To the extent of high paid careers doing exactly that.
    Last edited by Replacement; 16-12-2016 at 09:11 PM.

Yes, cripes forgive anyone who does not get a positive stroke for an absolutely terrible idea. Gawd knows nobody should ever be told their idea stinks. One has to approach it in a way that the person is a Mensa candidate for even having an idea in the first place even if it stinks or not. Look at all those executives in companies and banks that are losing money. They still walk away with obscene bonuses for their utter failure. Same as politicians, work a few years and even if you do sweet F A there is a golden handshake to reward you for doing, well nothing really. It's the golden age of getting rewarded for doing a bad job.

The Most Intolerant Wins: The Dictatorship of the Small Minority - Nassim Taleb

https://medium.com/@nntaleb/the-most...e15#.7d76g2v40

Yes, cripes forgive anyone who does not get a positive stroke for an absolutely terrible idea. Gawd knows nobody should ever be told their idea stinks. One has to approach it in a way that the person is a Mensa candidate for even having an idea in the first place even if it stinks or not. Look at all those executives in companies and banks that are losing money. They still walk away with obscene bonuses for their utter failure. Same as politicians, work a few years and even if you do sweet F A there is a golden handshake to reward you for doing, well nothing really. It's the golden age of getting rewarded for doing a bad job.
    You think that corporate executives receiving over-the-top bonuses is somehow connected to "political correctness"? Like, the same people who push for "inclusiveness" and hate-speech codes are also the ones pushing for CEOs to make more money?

I think you might be oversimplifying things here.

I will tell you why I am offended by this overtly politically correct society.

Went Christmas shopping during the past few days.

I challenge you to find advertsements, symbols or even Christmas decorations, anything related to a Christian Christmas.

You have a better chance of finding Star Wars figurines to hang from your Jedi Tree.

The irony.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT
    I challenge you to find advertsements, symbols or even Christmas decorations, anything related to a Christian Christmas.

Christmas has long become a secular holiday. And especially in today's Alberta where almost 40% of people are not Christians (whether because they're atheist/agnostic, Muslim, Sikh, Hindu, Buddhist, etc), it makes perfect sense that companies aren't going to actively promote it as a "Christian" holiday. Same goes with Easter. In any case, Christianity ripped off most of it's holidays from the religions and belief systems that preceded it as well. Maybe there was an Edmonton PRT 2,000 years ago complaining how the Winter Solstice festival was being taken over by these newfangled Christians with some silly myth about a virgin birth.

I challenge you to find advertisements, symbols, or decorations for Hanukkah, Ramadan, Diwali, solstices/equinoxes etc. Oh right, basically none of those are statutory holidays and therefore aren't endorsed by our governments. At least the Christian holidays have that going for them.

Why exactly does it "offend" you that private business aren't trying to ram religion down our throats?
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 20-12-2016 at 09:10 AM.

You have a better chance of finding Star Wars figurines to hang from your Jedi Tree.
    This is such utter claptrap.

On the intersection of Stony Plain Road and King Street in Spruce Grove there is a big billboard saying "Keep Christ in Christmas". I bring it up simply because I pass by it every time going to work. But there is no doubt whatever there are dozens of such signs throughout Edmonton.

Every year for as long as I remember -- and my memory of Canada goes back to 1976 -- someone, many someones, will say this.

Christmas has not been about Christ for decades. Correction: it never was about Christ; it's a pagan holiday for the rebirth of the sun.

And every year -- I'm utterly serious when I say this -- some big yap, many big yaps, go on record as saying they are offended they can't wish Merry Christmas to someone, so they go ahead and make a point of wishing Merry Christmas to everyone. But of course the filth always gets its sexual heat up imposing themselves on everyone else. (To be clear, I am NOT referring to Edmonton PRT in this paragraph.)

Anyways, PRT's complaint is just one more part of anti-Christmas noise. It is not what Christmas is about, which is good cheer, whatever name you celebrate it under.

So a big humbug to the offended politically incorrect, and a big Happy Holidays to everyone else.
    Last edited by AShetsen; 20-12-2016 at 10:12 AM.

A bunch of bull shet as usual. Didn't realize you lived way out there with all your downtown crap you spew. Merry Christmas everybody!! I'll go have some coffee now.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 20-12-2016 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AShetsen View Post

This is such utter claptrap.

On the intersection of Stony Plain Road and King Street in Spruce Grove there is a big billboard saying "Keep Christ in Christmas". I bring it up simply because I pass by it every time going to work. But there is no doubt whatever there are dozens of such signs throughout Edmonton.

Every year for as long as I remember -- and my memory of Canada goes back to 1976 -- someone, many someones, will say this.

Christmas has not been about Christ for decades. Correction: it never was about Christ; it's a pagan holiday for the rebirth of the sun.

And every year -- I'm utterly serious when I say this -- some big yap, many big yaps, go on record as saying they are offended they can't wish Merry Christmas to someone, so they go ahead and make a point of wishing Merry Christmas to everyone. But of course the filth always gets its sexual heat up imposing themselves on everyone else.

Anyways, this complaint is just one more part of anti-Christmas noise. It is not what Christmas is about, which is good cheer, whatever name you celebrate it under.

So a big humbug to the offended, and a big Happy Holidays to everyone else.
    ..and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    A bunch of bull shet as usual. Didn't realize you lived way out there with all your downtown crap you spew. Merry Christmas everybody.
    How do you know that ashetsen lives there?

I don't, maybe it's wishful thinking. Wishing he lived inbetween Hinton and nordegg somewhere. The guy gets on my nerves. Havn't said anything till now but he is the total opposite in every regard to me. Total bull.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    I don't, maybe it's wishful thinking. Wishing he lived inbetween Hinton and nordegg somewhere. The guy gets on my nerves. Havn't said anything till now but he is the total opposite in every regard to me. Total bull.
    If c2e were a just another love-in, it would be very boring.

That's true. lol. Sorry, I just had to say something this time. I usually ignore without ignoring.

My family celebrates Christmas in the most traditional way possible, with a wise man bringing gifts to Jewish kids. Only got the one wise man (me) & there's two kids, but we make it work, despite there not being a single "true believer" (of any faith) in the household.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I glad the morons hate me. That's all you are good for. And the more annoyed you slobs get, the better.

Here's why: stop pretending your little opinions are in any way controversial, incorrect, or in any way offensive-but-gotta-be-said.

Most of you are utterly conformist frightened little twerps. If you see an actual opinion that goes against the mainstream -- which is exactly what you are, most of you are politically correct -- you are annoyed, uncomfortable, and your very mediocre minds immediately turn to real wisdom like "bullshet". Ha ha ha. You cannot attack an argument, neither politely nor rudely. You can only attack the person making it, in the most vulgar terms. Every time your fingers type, your basic coarseness gets exposed to the world. The first thing that comes to your minds is obscenity; because you are genteel you cloak it with asterisks, dashes, or deliberate misspellings: but that only hides your own filth from your own eyes.

I don't pretend to be clever or complicated. Cleverness or complication is wasted on people like you. You just need tyo be told, in no uncertain terms, that you are only deluding yourselves. In your own words, you are full of it.

And no, I am not a troll. I am not here to provoke you. I always state my OWN opinion, without irony.

Some people here know how to argue. I respect them deeply. The rest -- humbugs.
    Last edited by AShetsen; 20-12-2016 at 10:24 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

For the record, despite being an atheist, I typically say "Merry Christmas", if only out of habit. I couldn't care much less if a person or business says that or Happy Holidays instead. Like I said, "Christmas" has long since stopped being about Christ, so I don't think someone who isn't Christian should get too bent out of shape about it. But in the interests of being inclusive, it's probably best to use Happy Holidays. Old habits die hard.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast