Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Enough of these 'I'm Offended, It's not Politically Correct' people already

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Top_Dawg absolutely loves these little ironies.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...=1515635622376

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

He has since incorporated Make it Awkward, and he said he hopes to one day make a comfortable living off the campaign.
    Very altruistic of him. It's not even a non-profit.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Perhaps what he really needs is corporate sponsorship
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Looks like the city has already kicked in 30k. Their claim that because they're just buying tickets for youths to attend the conference and therefore they're not funding a for-profit corporation is totally bunk. And for what it's worth, I take his word that the event will be lucky to break even. My concern isn't the conference. My concern is that social advocacy isn't supposed to be for profit. The fact he and his wife incorporated Make it Awkward as a for-profit business makes me very suspicious of what their true motivations are here. And private corporations will wonder the exact same thing and will be virtually guaranteed to not be interested in providing sponsorship.

I think we can all agree that Lipscombe needs to improve his event organizational management skills. $445 a head to listen to mostly-local activists is ridiculous, given that it costs less than 1/4 of that to attend panels by Hollywood celebrities at the Edmonton Expo.

For-Profit Activism? Now that’s Awkward
    http://www.metronews.ca/views/opinio...s-awkward.html
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Like pulling the Hitler card, this writer pulled the Stalin card:

Don Martin: Political correctness behind Sir John A. pub name change

By Don Martin, Power Play Host, January 11, 2018 5:52PM EST

“Surely this is a sign of hyper-reactive cleansing for the sake of political correctness, a small step toward the sort of Stalinist purging of people from Soviet history.

True, Macdonald's record has a big black mark for being the presiding prime minister when Indigenous residential schools began their aggressive and abusive assimilation of children into the white man’s culture.

But these schools flourished in the 1930s and persisted right up until 20 years ago without any subsequent prime ministerial intervention to stop them. ...”

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/don-...ange-1.3755807

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I think we can all agree that Lipscombe needs to improve his event organizational management skills. $445 a head to listen to mostly-local activists is ridiculous, given that it costs less than 1/4 of that to attend panels by Hollywood celebrities at the Edmonton Expo.

For-Profit Activism? Now that’s Awkward
    http://www.metronews.ca/views/opinio...s-awkward.html
    I was out of town and didn't follow what happened on social media the last few days, but did happen to come across an apology from Lipscombe. Sounds like he got extremely defensive about the criticism and made things worse for himself. Apparently he called Danielle Paradis a "**** journalist" because of her Metro article. Here's the apology, copied from his Facebook page (which appears to be mostly public, I don't know him myself):

An apology from #Makeitawkward, but specifically from me.Please share so those that need to hear can.
    #MakeItAwkward would like to apologize unequivocally for a very insensitive comment. Saying that “poor is a state of mind” was wrong. Although we didn’t mean it as it’s been interpreted, the intention is irrelevant. It was unacceptable and not representative of how we feel. Poverty is truly vicious reality for too many people.

We would like to apologize for not taking criticism as well as we should have. Our movement is all about Making It Awkward, and when some of our critics made it awkward for us, we responded by being defensive instead of introspective. We are learning and committed to listening better.

We are sorry for any confusion surrounding what our event is about. Our event was always intended to be professional and personal development for folks in leadership and management positions – people who could learn about Inclusivity and bring it back to their respective environments. Though that was our target audience, we also wanted to open it up to as many people as possible – hence the tiered pricing and free live-streaming. Perhaps we cast our net too broadly and in so doing wound up excluding where we wanted to be inclusive. We have learned so much already from the feedback, and we will do better next time.
    We are sorry for our mistakes. We will probably make more. But we believe in our event. We believe in the value of the presentations of our three-day summit. The content, our speakers and our shared goals are to make better Edmontonians and the space they occupy more inclusive.

Bolding mine. That line, is in my opinion, quite important on what his thinking and strategy is for his private, for-profit venture. He's decided to become a diversity consultant to get some of those sweet, sweet corporate dollars. At least he clarified his true motivations, whether he meant to or not.

I was unaware of his snit with Metro.
    Last I heard, just before the weekend an issue was raised re: city funding

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/criticis...vent-1.3757902

He's making money!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CTV Article above
    Lipscombe is promising financial transparency when he tallies up the cost of the summit, currently estimated - he tells CTV NEWS - at $140,000.
    Well, if MIA was a non-profit, we'd all be able to review audited financial statements of the organization, instead of hoping he comes good on his promises of transparency that actually have no legal or fiduciary basis with which to be enforced. If he wants to be a diversity consultant as opposed to a true advocate, then just say so. He should stop trying to have it both ways.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; Yesterday at 03:16 PM.

Lipscombe seems to know a lot about making it awkward..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Lipscombe seems to know a lot about making it awkward..
    Yes, he sure does!

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Like pulling the Hitler card, this writer pulled the Stalin card:

Don Martin: Political correctness behind Sir John A. pub name change

By Don Martin, Power Play Host, January 11, 2018 5:52PM EST

“Surely this is a sign of hyper-reactive cleansing for the sake of political correctness, a small step toward the sort of Stalinist purging of people from Soviet history.

True, Macdonald's record has a big black mark for being the presiding prime minister when Indigenous residential schools began their aggressive and abusive assimilation of children into the white man’s culture.

But these schools flourished in the 1930s and persisted right up until 20 years ago without any subsequent prime ministerial intervention to stop them. ...”

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/don-...ange-1.3755807
    I am not a fan of Martin. Yes, I agree it would be helpful if he left the hyperbole about Stalinism out of it. Of course, Stalin did a lot of bad things, but he has nothing to do with this, this is a 100% Canadian issue and bringing up Stalin mostly only muddies the issues.

However, I do understand the point I think Martin was trying to make that MacDonald was not the only one responsible for this and should not be solely blamed. Yes, he was the first Prime Minister, but he was only carrying on the type of treatment and attitudes that existed before him and this continued on way after him, just as George Washington was not the first or last slave owner in the US. I do think the targeting of here MacDonald reflects a misunderstanding of history or is based on some sort of revisionism by people who do not really understand Canadian history.

Could this 'Make it Awkward' event not have been held at a less expensive place. Rent out a hall or a community space and hire/invite 2-3 food trucks to be outside. Now I'm sure in between speakers and talkers and squawkers there would be time to go out and have a bite. I get the impression this event is more for the movers and shakers in this town and not the actual downtrodden regular abused Joe Public (of any race or creed). A chance for those with the cash to be seen and also to be seen as worldly and all encompassing and the rest of the crap these SJW want you to swallow. Meanwhile the people who have actually been in the mist of bigotry/exclusion/hate crime/ etc are left outside with their noses pressed up against the window.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678