Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Flair Airlines (was NewLeaf Airline) | Discussion

Are the return frequencies the same? I.e. Toronto to Edmonton 3 x daily? Vancouver to Edmonton 19 times weekly?

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by PunjabiOil View Post
    Are the return frequencies the same? I.e. Toronto to Edmonton 3 x daily? Vancouver to Edmonton 19 times weekly?
    Interesting. Randomly checked July 10 - shows 2X daily return from Toronto.

But then, user-friendly websites aren't exactly Flair's "thing."
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Continued Contributor

These are the actual frequencies:

Abbotsford 14x weekly
    Kelowna 7x weekly
    Prince George 2x weekly
    Saskatoon 4x weekly
    Toronto 14x weekly
    Vancouver 14x weekly
    Victoria 7x weekly

Kind of surprise that Regina is no where in the scene.

I hope they stay low fair and find a world Aliance. Here is what they can do.... turn Edmonton into a World hub serving Europe and Asia on the cheap platform. One third of North America ( west side ) is funneled into Edmonton for transfer into Europe or Asia. We know geographically, Edmonton ton is the closes distance. This way they save money on wear/tear of large planes. I'd love to see flights to Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Mumbai, Bangkok, Hanoi. Just a wild idea.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

I'd like to see them perform well in this country before they start expanding to the States or across the pond. Focus on making it work well here first and then if all goes well, start looking at expanding.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    These are the actual frequencies:

Abbotsford 14x weekly
    Kelowna 7x weekly
    Prince George 2x weekly
    Saskatoon 4x weekly
    Toronto 14x weekly
    Vancouver 14x weekly
    Victoria 7x weekly
    Seems like an awful lot of flights to greater Vancouver, no? They are obviously flying where the traffic is, but I would think they would try and spread to a few different markets, rather than have 2 of their 3 highest frequencies be two airports in the same metro area.
    Very interested to see how they continue to expand.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    I'd like to see them perform well in this country before they start expanding to the States or across the pond. Focus on making it work well here first and then if all goes well, start looking at expanding.
    Narurally you want to be established in phases; I'm just referring to their future ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Narurally you want to be established in phases; I'm just referring to their future ambition.
    If they want to use their fleet effectively, they will need to deploy to southern destinations. They will lose so much money flying only in Canada during the winter.

Oh for sure. I just don't want them to get to ambitious too soon and blow their chances at being an option for Canadian travelers.

I flew Flair Airlines a couple of weeks ago to Vancouver and back. I really want them to succeed because I think more choice is always good for competition. The flight itself was fine. The plane was clean and the staff were courteous. There are no extras but I'm fine with that for the price I paid which was significantly lower than Westjet or AC.

My two main complaints are the atrocious website and the unclear luggage policy.

The website is truly awful. It is slow, not intuitive and seems like it's straight out of 2005. It's not a dealbreaker for me but they certainly aren't helping themselves. It needs a revamp ASAP.

The luggage policy is also confusing. You get charged more for a carry-on bag vs. checked luggage (you pay for both according to the website) so my partner and I shared a piece of checked luggage to cut the cost a bit. Again, I'm fine with this policy but it seems inconsistent. Many passengers brought carry-on luggage that was not tagged as being paid for. Neither the check-in staff, gate staff, nor on-board personnel checked for paid carry-on luggage. If I would have known this, I would have just brought carry-on and skipped the checked bag altogether. This needs to be resolved or it will really frustrate people and turn them off from flying with Flair.

Would I fly with Flair again? If it was significantly discounted from Westjet and AC, yes I would. At the same price or a slight discount, I'm not so sure. If they want to compete in a difficult airline market like Canada, they need to up their game substantially and very quickly. I hope they succeed, but things don't look good right now.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Website updated as of yesterday : www.flairair.ca

C2E SME

All airlines should start charging for carry-on luggage. Or stop charging for checked luggage. Because ultimately, the airplane doesn't care where the luggage is located and the cost impact is the same. And the incentive to jam as much crap in the carry-on bins makes for a worse experience for everyone.

I know if you have a small bag like a purse or backpack and it can fit under the seat in front of you, its free on Flair.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    All airlines should start charging for carry-on luggage. Or stop charging for checked luggage. Because ultimately, the airplane doesn't care where the luggage is located and the cost impact is the same. And the incentive to jam as much crap in the carry-on bins makes for a worse experience for everyone.
    I've read airlines prefer checked baggage instead of carry on (which would explain the higher carryon fees for Flair) because carry on baggage delays flights and ultimately impacts rotation of aircraft for higher utilization.

We flew YEG-YYZ two weeks ago with Flair. Flight was about 60% full. We would definitely fly Flair again.

The kids were wondering why there was no wifi on the plane. But other than that flight left/arrived on time. Service was pretty good. Friendly flight attendants. Bags arrived quickly. No complaints. Always nice when you score a cheap flight when on family travel.

I encourage all to try them out if their schedule permits.

Quote Originally Posted by 53latitude View Post
    Website updated as of yesterday : www.flairair.ca
    Yes, the website looks much better. Hopefully it has made the booking process easier.

Quote Originally Posted by faraz View Post
    I've read airlines prefer checked baggage instead of carry on (which would explain the higher carryon fees for Flair) because carry on baggage delays flights and ultimately impacts rotation of aircraft for higher utilization.
    I think you will see more airlines go this direction. The fight for bin space on full flights is certainly a challenge for passengers and airlines. Charging more for carry-on vs. checked luggage would certainly improve the situation.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

*stands up. Applauds*

I have always wondered why airlines don't charge some of these narcissistic nincompoops a healthy fee for what they do. Oversized carry ons, always shoving their excess crap into bins nowhere near their seats, and my favorite, the last minute malcontent who boards at carrying multiple large carry ons...then demands people move their stuff so s/he can fit Princess Vespa's matched luggage into the cabin.

The other side is to make checked luggage faster to arrive when you do, as well as not getting lost as frequently. I still check bags even though I can walk without aids now, simply because I don't have to haul my crap around...but the wait at the destination side is often ridiculous.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    *stands up. Applauds*

I have always wondered why airlines don't charge some of these narcissistic nincompoops a healthy fee for what they do. Oversized carry ons, always shoving their excess crap into bins nowhere near their seats, and my favorite, the last minute malcontent who boards at carrying multiple large carry ons...then demands people move their stuff so s/he can fit Princess Vespa's matched luggage into the cabin.
    Funny, she doesn't look Druish.

C2E SME

Great, now I'm watching Spaceballs this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    I give them 18-24months before they shut down.
    If they make it to Edmonton, I'll certainly check them out.
    It's been exactly 24 months now since you made this prediction.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    I give them 18-24months before they shut down.
    If they make it to Edmonton, I'll certainly check them out.
    It's been exactly 24 months now since you made this prediction.
    Based on what they put out there at the time, I don't regret saying that.
    They did make it to Edmonton, and I have flown with them.
    Route changes/mods seem off the cuff and their website/check in process is still rough around the edges.

I didn't mean it in terms of "you were so wrong!", but rather I find it interesting that they have made it so far, because your prediction was not a bad prediction. I'm no expert but it seems to me the airline industry is a tough industry to succeed in.

I didn't mean it in terms of "you were so wrong!", but rather I find it interesting that they have made it so far, because your prediction was not a bad prediction. I'm no expert but it seems to me the airline industry is a tough industry to succeed in.
    I think they will have an opportunity to grab market share over the Summer if they market themselves properly and have good service. If they do well over the Summer they might just be able to hang around if they keep their costs low and find a way to compete with AC and WS. I hope they survive but it certainly won't be easy for them.

Nicole Weisberg @NWeisbergCTV

Announcement from low cost Flair Airlines will be “something exclusive to Edmonton; with economic benefits”. Expected to start soon... #yeg

https://twitter.com/NWeisbergCTV/sta...19110146318336

In an interview with the Canadian Press, Flair Airlines’ executive chairman confirmed the headquarters for the low-cost carrier would be moving to Edmonton in the coming months, bringing hundreds of jobs.

The airline is set to officially announce the move at an event Tuesday in Edmonton.
    https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/flair-ai...r&_gsc=sU3MHVQ

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    In an interview with the Canadian Press, Flair Airlines’ executive chairman confirmed the headquarters for the low-cost carrier would be moving to Edmonton in the coming months, bringing hundreds of jobs.

The airline is set to officially announce the move at an event Tuesday in Edmonton.
    https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/flair-ai...r&_gsc=sU3MHVQ
    and here: I might have missed the post elsewhere but in case anyone else missed it:

"Meanwhile, Tait said Flair plans to move its headquarters to Edmonton from Kelowna, B.C., over the coming months to help promote its growth.

"Kelowna was a fine base for a charter operator but it didn't really give us the scope, the potential we need as we're growing.""

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/west...unch-1.4711998

Makes a lot of sense for them. Canadian North have a maintenance and manufacturing base here as well as a flight simulator. I sure they will contract to Flair. Win win.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Makes a lot of sense for them. Canadian North have a maintenance and manufacturing base here as well as a flight simulator. I sure they will contract to Flair. Win win.
    Flair is our best shot at getting new flights and becoming a hub airport. If we don't support them as a city, we deserve to be a small regional airport. This could be our Westjet.

This is amazing news. I never thought I'd see the day.

It’s super, and who knows what it may lead to.

This is tremendously exciting. Time for the Edmonton region to develop a fanfare with this airline and really get behind it. Huge opportunity indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Base View Post
    This is tremendously exciting. Time for the Edmonton region to develop a fanfare with this airline and really get behind it. Huge opportunity indeed.
    I've flown once with them to Toronto and definitely plan to do so more.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Excellent news indeed.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Posting Power

As a side note, a photo of a Flair 737 in Flair's new livery, shot at YEG is the second most viewed photo today (as of this moment) on Airliners.net. Kind of appropriate given today's big announcement.

Very cool news. Aurora cannabis now Flair.

Agreed! It's funny you brought up Canadian North maintenance facility. I wonder if that was the factor to move here? Shared cost and eventually amalgamate into one which i kind of hyppthisized on this strategy quite often? Noth were also heavily involved with FBO fights, so there would have most likely been established communications and worl8ng telations at some capacity.

Overall, it is great news! Two headquarters willingly move here- both former BC corporates. Perhaps a new office tower to be shared between these two?

Two headquarters? Which is the other one you're referring to?

I believe it is in reference to both Flair (ex-Kelowna) and Aurora ACB (ex-Vancouver) moving their HQ to Edmonton.

Quote Originally Posted by 53latitude View Post
    I believe it is in reference to both Flair (ex-Kelowna) and Aurora ACB (ex-Vancouver) moving their HQ to Edmonton.

Yes and thank you! Lets hope that trend is on cruise control..

Agreed! It's funny you brought up Canadian North maintenance facility. I wonder if that was the factor to move here? Shared cost and eventually amalgamate into one which i kind of hyppthisized on this strategy quite often? Noth were also heavily involved with FBO fights, so there would have most likely been established communications and worl8ng telations at some capacity.

Overall, it is great news! Two headquarters willingly move here- both former BC corporates. Perhaps a new office tower to be shared between these two?
    More likely EIA probably gave them a sweetheart deal on space in the old tower.
    Will EIA build a hanger for them to lease?
    If city centre airport had not closed this probably would not have happened.
    In order to fulfill their ambitions of being an airotropolis EIA needs a dedicated airline partner. Is Flairair the answer?
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

The old control tower makes good sense for Flair office space.

^ Agreed. Started to think that shortly after the news broke.

Good article in the Kelowna Daily Courier: http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/bu...3a1acc809.html
    ... gobsmacked

The old control tower makes good sense for Flair office space.
    And maybe finally refurbishment of the north terminal?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123