Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 501 to 526 of 526

Thread: Flair Airlines | Discussion

  1. #501
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    YEG
    Posts
    1,602

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GranaryMan View Post
    I heard a nasty rumour that Flair is partly owned by AirCanada...this isn’t true is it?
    You seem to be the one spreading that lie.
    It was outside of the c2e circle...and was brought up when i informed the person that Swoop was owned by WestJet.

    I was pretty sure Flair was a private company not affiliated with AirCanada at all, however just seeking confirmation. But thanks for the reply...

  2. #502
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,932

    Default

    Hmph, apparently Flair did a couple round the world trips earlier this decade as part of a charter offering. Reconfigured a plane to all business class for it.
    Would be weird to fly around the world in a 737-400, but i guess it's been done.

  3. #503
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    5,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Hmph, apparently Flair did a couple round the world trips earlier this decade as part of a charter offering. Reconfigured a plane to all business class for it.
    Would be weird to fly around the world in a 737-400, but i guess it's been done.
    could you provide the information source please. Always helpful to provide a factual data source.

  4. #504
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Hmph, apparently Flair did a couple round the world trips earlier this decade as part of a charter offering. Reconfigured a plane to all business class for it.
    Would be weird to fly around the world in a 737-400, but i guess it's been done.
    could you provide the information source please. Always helpful to provide a factual data source.
    It's on their Wikipedia page
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flair_Airlines

    And the tour company that arranges it has an image of a flair airplane on their site:
    http://www.privatejettours.ca/our-private-jet/
    http://www.privatejettours.ca/itinerary-details/

    Just had one in Oct 2018. $50K per person, all inclusive.

    Flair's old livery is on display on the main page:
    http://www.privatejettours.ca/about-travel-guild-inc/
    The photo was clearly taken outside of North America. Nairobi would be my guess.

  5. #505

    Default

    Looked at flights to Victoria. Their calendar says first flight of the season is June 24, but you select that and the details says non available... same for other dates. A lot of prairie folk have regular trips to Vancouver Island, I don't know why Flair just doesn't open it up year round.

  6. #506

    Default

    I think they might not have enough aircraft to launch this YYJ route and cancel the LAS route. Weren't they expecting to have like 3 737-800 by spring this year? They probably planned it based on that but their first 737-800 is just arriving now. It also seems like this is the only one, at least that's what planspotter says. On facebook, their reasoning for cancelling the LAS is "we are very sorry your flight was cancelled and for any inconvenience caused. Unfortunately, our leasing partner has exercised their option to have their aircraft returned early due to the 737-MAX groundings and we have had to adjust our schedule to reflect the change in our fleet..."

  7. #507
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    4,726
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

  8. #508
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Hopefully they do a proper uneveilling press event with the plane in the background here in Edmonton. Let the press tour the plane so the public can see how they have branded the interior of their new planes. Have folks on hand to answer questions about what a potential passenger can expect to see flying the new Flair.

    Or maybe just selfishly I am just excited for an interior video tour!

  9. #509
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    5,096

    Default

    Too bad they don't have maintenance in Edmonton ... I assume that's why that plane is at YYC and not here.

  10. #510

    Default

    No they don't, but Canadian North does. Knowing both were acquainted through FBO preceding, perhaps they could have easily contracted that out to them, or venture into some partnership for cost reduction? Both are small at this stage, so I wouldn't hesitate to venture into such path if I had to make decisions as there are no current direct competition. I still wager on the fact that these two could amalgamate into one someday for that solidify third carrier. That is not to say Flair won't manage that on their own...
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  11. #511
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    5,096

    Default

    No merger or sale happening unless Inuvialuit Development the owner of Canadian North (is an Inuit peoples corporation) buys Flair and I doubt they have the funds or any desire. Both airlines have vastlydifferent markets and visions. Flair is a private venture will never be buying Canadian North for reasons that should be obvious (including that the metal is short haul and a pile of junk) and some not so obvious (subsidies and politics - to be avoided at all costs lol).
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 31-03-2019 at 04:10 PM.

  12. #512

    Default

    Obviously both sides would have to agree... I thought that would be a given in a hypothethical scenario.

    A combined metal would secure both sides if they're steered correctly. I'm certainly not obsessed with it, but I just want to ensure Flair survives and a legit third airline sustain. Two airlines are financial traps...
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  13. #513
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Iqaluit, Nunavut
    Posts
    2,200

    Default

    Canadian North is already trying to merge with First Air, so they're sorta already 'busy'.

  14. #514
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    5,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Canadian North is already trying to merge with First Air, so they're sorta already 'busy'.
    Both owned by public Inuit corporations - one based in Quebec the other in NWT.

  15. #515
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,932

    Default

    Doesn't look like Flair has any flights to the US right now. Only Canadian booking options.

  16. #516
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    4,726

    Default Flair Airlines Lands Equity Investment from 777 Partners

    Edmonton, Alberta, April 02, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Edmonton, AB, Canada, April 1, 2019 – Flair Airlines(“Flair”), Canada’s only independent ultra low-cost carrier (ULCC), announced that Miami-based investment firm 777 Partners(“777”) has acquired a 25 percent equity stake in the airline for an undisclosed sum. This commitment reflects the significant opportunity for disruption that Flair and 777 see in Canada’s duopolistic marketplace.
    https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/04/02/1795168/0/en/Flair-Airlines-Lands-Equity-Investment-from-777-Partners.html
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

  17. #517
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    48,009

    Default

    Good to hear.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  18. #518
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    5,096

    Default

    Heres a little vid on Youtube on how Low Cost carriers like Flair work. It's 2 years old - but it hits the essentials of what is key to profit. Like point to point (nonstop) and avoiding providing connecting service. Why Ryanair and Easyjet are more profitable than legacy carriers is explained and how they survive - which is that they overwhelm the legacy carrier competition by offering nonstops and lots of routes.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=069y1MpOkQY

    This one on scheduling is also interesting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGXahSnA_oA

    This one on high speed trains is really interesting when you thing about Edmonton-Calgary potential: not viable.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JDoll8OEFE

  19. #519

    Default

    Flair completely cancelled any remaining flights to the US from YEG. This includes my flight to LAS in 2 weeks on an aircraft they own.

    I've heard the horror stories about Flair and always thought "it won't happen to me". I've been screwed by this airline twice in a few months, I can no longer support them.

    I have a feeling they won't last long.....

  20. #520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YEGCanuck View Post
    Flair completely cancelled any remaining flights to the US from YEG. This includes my flight to LAS in 2 weeks on an aircraft they own.

    I've heard the horror stories about Flair and always thought "it won't happen to me". I've been screwed by this airline twice in a few months, I can no longer support them.

    I have a feeling they won't last long.....
    This is why our city always play second fiddle to the other centre to the south. A little hurdle in life and you give up. It is no wonder Calgary always slaughters us in things like this. We have no commitment from head to bottom the way they do


    How come, how come it is always Calgary? Because they got the gut to start and finish shi-it!!! Here is a fine example of Edmonton...always talking good then giving up as soon as the walk starts. I wonder where Port Alberta would be if we had people that walk rather than talk just like this fine example.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  21. #521
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    5,096

    Default

    "I wonder where Port Alberta would be if we had people that walk rather than talk just like this fine example."

    Well ... we had one leader of Port Alberta that just talked and talked a lot of nothing - and I am sure the business community is glad that he walked off the stage. And its coming along very nicely now, thank you very much.

    That said, I agree with Citz-Ed, that Edmonton has a lot of successes and much to celebrate (his inference I believe). This great City is built through the perseverance of its business leaders and citizens that just don't give up. We find work arounds when we have to and coalesce around our common goals, fighting the fight. Despite the lack of nonstop flights - Edmonton Metro growth is out pacing Calgary's, our economy is more diverse. Stand with us - or be a quitter. Stand with Edmonton businesses or be a quitter. I am no quitter - I rise to the challenges.
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 04-04-2019 at 06:33 PM.

  22. #522
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sherwood park
    Posts
    2,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by YEGCanuck View Post
    Flair completely cancelled any remaining flights to the US from YEG. This includes my flight to LAS in 2 weeks on an aircraft they own.

    I've heard the horror stories about Flair and always thought "it won't happen to me". I've been screwed by this airline twice in a few months, I can no longer support them.

    I have a feeling they won't last long.....
    This is why our city always play second fiddle to the other centre to the south. A little hurdle in life and you give up. It is no wonder Calgary always slaughters us in things like this. We have no commitment from head to bottom the way they do


    How come, how come it is always Calgary? Because they got the gut to start and finish shi-it!!! Here is a fine example of Edmonton...always talking good then giving up as soon as the walk starts. I wonder where Port Alberta would be if we had people that walk rather than talk just like this fine example.
    Someone has their flights cancelled and had another negative incident with a private business and decides he might go with a different air carrier next time and that is why Edmonton plays second fiddle to Calgary. That's strange. Maybe we should wait until Flair gives up not one passenger. What do you want the customer to do? He is just looking for reliable transportation. Maybe Flair will improve and he will come back.

  23. #523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by YEGCanuck View Post
    Flair completely cancelled any remaining flights to the US from YEG. This includes my flight to LAS in 2 weeks on an aircraft they own.

    I've heard the horror stories about Flair and always thought "it won't happen to me". I've been screwed by this airline twice in a few months, I can no longer support them.

    I have a feeling they won't last long.....
    This is why our city always play second fiddle to the other centre to the south. A little hurdle in life and you give up. It is no wonder Calgary always slaughters us in things like this. We have no commitment from head to bottom the way they do


    How come, how come it is always Calgary? Because they got the gut to start and finish shi-it!!! Here is a fine example of Edmonton...always talking good then giving up as soon as the walk starts. I wonder where Port Alberta would be if we had people that walk rather than talk just like this fine example.
    Someone has their flights cancelled and had another negative incident with a private business and decides he might go with a different air carrier next time and that is why Edmonton plays second fiddle to Calgary. That's strange. Maybe we should wait until Flair gives up not one passenger. What do you want the customer to do? He is just looking for reliable transportation. Maybe Flair will improve and he will come back.
    Exactly. 2 flights and 2 route cancellations now. It's not a good track record. By cancelling these flights there is a financial cost to me that I can't get back (ie cancellation fees). I can't support a company that causes me financial harm, and so far cancelled 100% of the flights I was supposed to have with them. If they substantially stepped up their game I would reconsider.

  24. #524
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    YEG
    Posts
    1,602

    Default

    Last flight I booked was through Flair. Flight was to depart at 8pm, delayed until almost midnight. Can’t recall the last time that happened when I flew WestJet or AirCanada...in fact, the only time I remember it happening was when I flew US Airways and sat in the airplane for 3 hours just off from the gate.

  25. #525

    Default

    My record with Flair:

    YEG-YYZ on time
    YEG-YYJ-YEG on time
    YEG-MIA on time
    YEG-AZA-YEG on time
    YEG-PSP-YEG cancelled

  26. #526
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,932

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •