Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Flair Airlines | Discussion

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GranaryMan View Post
    I heard a nasty rumour that Flair is partly owned by AirCanada...this isn’t true is it?
    You seem to be the one spreading that lie.
    It was outside of the c2e circle...and was brought up when i informed the person that Swoop was owned by WestJet.

I was pretty sure Flair was a private company not affiliated with AirCanada at all, however just seeking confirmation. But thanks for the reply...

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Hmph, apparently Flair did a couple round the world trips earlier this decade as part of a charter offering. Reconfigured a plane to all business class for it.
    Would be weird to fly around the world in a 737-400, but i guess it's been done.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Hmph, apparently Flair did a couple round the world trips earlier this decade as part of a charter offering. Reconfigured a plane to all business class for it.
    Would be weird to fly around the world in a 737-400, but i guess it's been done.
    could you provide the information source please. Always helpful to provide a factual data source.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    could you provide the information source please. Always helpful to provide a factual data source.
    It's on their Wikipedia page
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flair_Airlines

And the tour company that arranges it has an image of a flair airplane on their site:
    http://www.privatejettours.ca/our-private-jet/
    http://www.privatejettours.ca/itinerary-details/

Just had one in Oct 2018. $50K per person, all inclusive.

Flair's old livery is on display on the main page:
    http://www.privatejettours.ca/about-travel-guild-inc/
    The photo was clearly taken outside of North America. Nairobi would be my guess.

Looked at flights to Victoria. Their calendar says first flight of the season is June 24, but you select that and the details says non available... same for other dates. A lot of prairie folk have regular trips to Vancouver Island, I don't know why Flair just doesn't open it up year round.

I think they might not have enough aircraft to launch this YYJ route and cancel the LAS route. Weren't they expecting to have like 3 737-800 by spring this year? They probably planned it based on that but their first 737-800 is just arriving now. It also seems like this is the only one, at least that's what planspotter says. On facebook, their reasoning for cancelling the LAS is "we are very sorry your flight was cancelled and for any inconvenience caused. Unfortunately, our leasing partner has exercised their option to have their aircraft returned early due to the 737-MAX groundings and we have had to adjust our schedule to reflect the change in our fleet..."

“Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Hopefully they do a proper uneveilling press event with the plane in the background here in Edmonton. Let the press tour the plane so the public can see how they have branded the interior of their new planes. Have folks on hand to answer questions about what a potential passenger can expect to see flying the new Flair.

Or maybe just selfishly I am just excited for an interior video tour!

Too bad they don't have maintenance in Edmonton ... I assume that's why that plane is at YYC and not here.

No they don't, but Canadian North does. Knowing both were acquainted through FBO preceding, perhaps they could have easily contracted that out to them, or venture into some partnership for cost reduction? Both are small at this stage, so I wouldn't hesitate to venture into such path if I had to make decisions as there are no current direct competition. I still wager on the fact that these two could amalgamate into one someday for that solidify third carrier. That is not to say Flair won't manage that on their own...
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

No merger or sale happening unless Inuvialuit Development the owner of Canadian North (is an Inuit peoples corporation) buys Flair and I doubt they have the funds or any desire. Both airlines have vastlydifferent markets and visions. Flair is a private venture will never be buying Canadian North for reasons that should be obvious (including that the metal is short haul and a pile of junk) and some not so obvious (subsidies and politics - to be avoided at all costs lol).
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 31-03-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Obviously both sides would have to agree... I thought that would be a given in a hypothethical scenario.

A combined metal would secure both sides if they're steered correctly. I'm certainly not obsessed with it, but I just want to ensure Flair survives and a legit third airline sustain. Two airlines are financial traps...

Canadian North is already trying to merge with First Air, so they're sorta already 'busy'.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Canadian North is already trying to merge with First Air, so they're sorta already 'busy'.
    Both owned by public Inuit corporations - one based in Quebec the other in NWT.

Doesn't look like Flair has any flights to the US right now. Only Canadian booking options.

Default Flair Airlines Lands Equity Investment from 777 Partners

Edmonton, Alberta, April 02, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Edmonton, AB, Canada, April 1, 2019 – Flair Airlines(“Flair”), Canada’s only independent ultra low-cost carrier (ULCC), announced that Miami-based investment firm 777 Partners(“777”) has acquired a 25 percent equity stake in the airline for an undisclosed sum. This commitment reflects the significant opportunity for disruption that Flair and 777 see in Canada’s duopolistic marketplace.
    https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/04/02/1795168/0/en/Flair-Airlines-Lands-Equity-Investment-from-777-Partners.html
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E Long Term Contributor

Good to hear.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Heres a little vid on Youtube on how Low Cost carriers like Flair work. It's 2 years old - but it hits the essentials of what is key to profit. Like point to point (nonstop) and avoiding providing connecting service. Why Ryanair and Easyjet are more profitable than legacy carriers is explained and how they survive - which is that they overwhelm the legacy carrier competition by offering nonstops and lots of routes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=069y1MpOkQY

This one on scheduling is also interesting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGXahSnA_oA

This one on high speed trains is really interesting when you thing about Edmonton-Calgary potential: not viable.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JDoll8OEFE

Flair completely cancelled any remaining flights to the US from YEG. This includes my flight to LAS in 2 weeks on an aircraft they own.

I've heard the horror stories about Flair and always thought "it won't happen to me". I've been screwed by this airline twice in a few months, I can no longer support them.

I have a feeling they won't last long.....

Quote Originally Posted by YEGCanuck View Post
    Flair completely cancelled any remaining flights to the US from YEG. This includes my flight to LAS in 2 weeks on an aircraft they own.

I've heard the horror stories about Flair and always thought "it won't happen to me". I've been screwed by this airline twice in a few months, I can no longer support them.

This is why our city always play second fiddle to the other centre to the south. A little hurdle in life and you give up. It is no wonder Calgary always slaughters us in things like this. We have no commitment from head to bottom the way they do

How come, how come it is always Calgary? Because they got the gut to start and finish shi-it!!! Here is a fine example of Edmonton...always talking good then giving up as soon as the walk starts. I wonder where Port Alberta would be if we had people that walk rather than talk just like this fine example.

"I wonder where Port Alberta would be if we had people that walk rather than talk just like this fine example."

Well ... we had one leader of Port Alberta that just talked and talked a lot of nothing - and I am sure the business community is glad that he walked off the stage. And its coming along very nicely now, thank you very much.

That said, I agree with Citz-Ed, that Edmonton has a lot of successes and much to celebrate (his inference I believe). This great City is built through the perseverance of its business leaders and citizens that just don't give up. We find work arounds when we have to and coalesce around our common goals, fighting the fight. Despite the lack of nonstop flights - Edmonton Metro growth is out pacing Calgary's, our economy is more diverse. Stand with us - or be a quitter. Stand with Edmonton businesses or be a quitter. I am no quitter - I rise to the challenges.
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 04-04-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post

This is why our city always play second fiddle to the other centre to the south. A little hurdle in life and you give up. It is no wonder Calgary always slaughters us in things like this. We have no commitment from head to bottom the way they do

How come, how come it is always Calgary? Because they got the gut to start and finish shi-it!!! Here is a fine example of Edmonton...always talking good then giving up as soon as the walk starts. I wonder where Port Alberta would be if we had people that walk rather than talk just like this fine example.
    Someone has their flights cancelled and had another negative incident with a private business and decides he might go with a different air carrier next time and that is why Edmonton plays second fiddle to Calgary. That's strange. Maybe we should wait until Flair gives up not one passenger. What do you want the customer to do? He is just looking for reliable transportation. Maybe Flair will improve and he will come back.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post

Someone has their flights cancelled and had another negative incident with a private business and decides he might go with a different air carrier next time and that is why Edmonton plays second fiddle to Calgary. That's strange. Maybe we should wait until Flair gives up not one passenger. What do you want the customer to do? He is just looking for reliable transportation. Maybe Flair will improve and he will come back.
    Exactly. 2 flights and 2 route cancellations now. It's not a good track record. By cancelling these flights there is a financial cost to me that I can't get back (ie cancellation fees). I can't support a company that causes me financial harm, and so far cancelled 100% of the flights I was supposed to have with them. If they substantially stepped up their game I would reconsider.

C2E Continued Contributor

Last flight I booked was through Flair. Flight was to depart at 8pm, delayed until almost midnight. Can’t recall the last time that happened when I flew WestJet or AirCanada...in fact, the only time I remember it happening was when I flew US Airways and sat in the airplane for 3 hours just off from the gate.

My record with Flair:

YEG-YYZ on time
    YEG-YYJ-YEG on time
    YEG-MIA on time
    YEG-AZA-YEG on time
    YEG-PSP-YEG cancelled

I’m seeing no flights to Winnipeg past mid June. Is this old need or am I not seeing it properly?

Charge him with making terrorist threats.

Quote Originally Posted by Base View Post
    I’m seeing no flights to Winnipeg past mid June. Is this old need or am I not seeing it properly?
    I am seeing what you are. Interesting that flights from YYZ to YEG are showing 2x daily starting mid July. Maybe Flair are changing up the scheduling but good grief June is here - and they are failing to communicate a revised schedule with the public. Not good.

Looks like Winnipeg will have flights to Toronto, Calgary, & Abbotsford (connecting through Calgary).

Calgary must be supporting Winnipeg flights a lot better for them to be keeping that flight and axing it from Edmonton. Obviously not the greatest news coming out of our hometown airline. Wanted to book Winnipeg in July.

Quote Originally Posted by Base View Post
    Looks like Winnipeg will have flights to Toronto, Calgary, & Abbotsford (connecting through Calgary).

Calgary must be supporting Winnipeg flights a lot better for them to be keeping that flight and axing it from Edmonton. Obviously not the greatest news coming out of our hometown airline. Wanted to book Winnipeg in July.
    Let's not forget the Swoop effect. So far they have managed to force Flair out of Hamilton and Winnipeg with their predatory pricing.

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

YEG-YWG is gone as of July. No reason from CS given AFTER I waited 2 hours on hold to book. Swoop it is.
    Last edited by cnr67; 24-05-2019 at 06:10 PM.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Default Sunday reader: Flair hits the reset button

While Flair originally funnelled its passengers through a hub in Edmonton, its strategy has evolved over the past year to incorporate more point-to-point flights.
    “We got out of Hamilton and went to Toronto because Swoop can’t really go into Toronto. We went into Calgary, Swoop can’t go into Calgary. I say can’t, but Swoop has stated quite clearly they won’t.”
    That’s not to say Flair is abandoning Edmonton, it spent the past year moving its operations to the city from Kelowna, British Columbia. Flair’s head office occupies three floors in an old control tower office building at the International airport, and Tait says the company is actively investigating ways to integrate itself into the community.
    “Edmontonians, most of whom are flying us for the first time, say ‘gee I wish I’d tried you guys earlier because this is great.’ So I do think there’s a degree of pride in having an airline that has chosen to be here.
    https://westernaviationnews.com/2019...-reset-button/

Good article - thinking back, Flair did act hastily. Not sure Miami is a good western Canadian route. For us, United via Houston for Central and South American destinations is a good hub.

Orlando though, surprises me as it's one of those sun destinations that has good numbers out of Edmonton - obviously via other hubs.

Anyway, sorry to lose YWG, but will continue to use Flair to YVR and YYJ this summer.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Good article - thinking back, Flair did act hastily. Not sure Miami is a good western Canadian route. For us, United via Houston for Central and South American destinations is a good hub.

Orlando though, surprises me as it's one of those sun destinations that has good numbers out of Edmonton - obviously via other hubs.

Anyway, sorry to lose YWG, but will continue to use Flair to YVR and YYJ this summer.
    They don't even fly to Victoria anymore either.

Enjoyed my flights to YVR, great option to have. Just wish they could be on time, they're pretty much late all the time.
    www.decl.org

I have the answer on the cancellation of YEG-YWG. In their words,"over served" I take that to mean that AC, AC Jetz,AC Express, WJ, WJ Encore and now Swoop have over sold the route and have effectively killed the competition. The very issue WJ had with AC 20 years ago. It makes me sick to fly on a carrier that is so hypocritical as WJ.

Especially now with the new deep pocket owners.

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    I have the answer on the cancellation of YEG-YWG. In their words,"over served" I take that to mean that AC, AC Jetz,AC Express, WJ, WJ Encore and now Swoop have over sold the route and have effectively killed the competition. The very issue WJ had with AC 20 years ago. It makes me sick to fly on a carrier that is so hypocritical as WJ.
    I think only AC Express, WJ and Swoop fly the YEG-YWG route. AC JEtz is private flying.

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    I think only AC Express, WJ and Swoop fly the YEG-YWG route. AC JEtz is private flying.
    I stand corrected. Thanks.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456