Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 401 to 424 of 424

Thread: Flair Airlines | Discussion

  1. #401
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Windermere
    Posts
    2,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyYeg View Post
    Was trying to book YEG-MIA and it looks like those flights are zeroed out. I hope it is just a glitch.
    Still bookable for me. Flies down on Fridays, returns on Saturdays.

  2. #402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyYeg View Post
    Was trying to book YEG-MIA and it looks like those flights are zeroed out. I hope it is just a glitch.
    Still bookable for me. Flies down on Fridays, returns on Saturdays.
    showing up now....and booked!!! Thank you Flair for such convenience.

  3. #403
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyYeg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyYeg View Post
    Was trying to book YEG-MIA and it looks like those flights are zeroed out. I hope it is just a glitch.
    Still bookable for me. Flies down on Fridays, returns on Saturdays.
    showing up now....and booked!!! Thank you Flair for such convenience.
    we just booked for spring break, 4 of us to Miami for $2500. Great deal. That includes 1 checked bag each, a carry on and we chose our seats. They are having a sale. The promo code is on the website.

    I am looking forward to trying them out.

  4. #404
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Edmonton AB, Hamilton ON
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Flair Gains CTA approval to wet-lease 2 aircraft this winter

    With under a month to go, Flair has finally received approval from the Canadian Transportation Agency to lease two aircraft this winter that will be used for commercial passenger transportation.
    The two aircraft they will be leasing will be from Travel Service (From Czech Republic).

    Lease #1 - December 1, 2018 - December 30, 2018
    Lease #2 - December 1, 2018 - April 30, 2018

    Since this is a "wet-lease", Travel service will be providing the crews for Flair.
    You can read the official CTA rulings below...
    https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2018-248
    https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2018-249

    With Flair receiving approval for the leased aircraft, they have enabled the option to book flights originating from the USA to Canada (They were playing it safe by waiting for the ruling **cough** unlike swoop)

    Flair's first Boeing 737-800 NG aircraft is expected to arrive in December at some point. The reason for the one month lease is for Flair to take pilots out of commercial service so that they can be trained on the newer equipment. The Boeing 737-800 is expected to be in service after the short lease ends (December 30)
    Last edited by JAKELRS; 24-11-2018 at 12:41 PM. Reason: grammar errors

  5. #405

    Default

    Flair messes up big time with flight delay. Drag out the delay to 12-14 hours and then call the police.

    Flair Airlines apologizes after calling RCMP on passengers, following 12-hour flight delay

    Flair's right of care policy states that a "schedule irregularity" lasting more than eight hours obligates the low-cost carrier to provide overnight hotel accommodation for passengers who don't live in the city.


    "Eight hours came and went ... hours ago," one passenger said in the video. "I'll tell you something, if I were in your shoes I'd be fuming right now," an officer responded.

    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...elay-1.4918963

  6. #406
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAKELRS View Post
    Flair Gains CTA approval to wet-lease 2 aircraft this winter

    With under a month to go, Flair has finally received approval from the Canadian Transportation Agency to lease two aircraft this winter that will be used for commercial passenger transportation.
    The two aircraft they will be leasing will be from Travel Service (From Czech Republic).

    Lease #1 - December 1, 2018 - December 30, 2018
    Lease #2 - December 1, 2018 - April 30, 2019

    Since this is a "wet-lease", Travel service will be providing the crews for Flair.
    You can read the official CTA rulings below...
    https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2018-248
    https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2018-249

    With Flair receiving approval for the leased aircraft, they have enabled the option to book flights originating from the USA to Canada (They were playing it safe by waiting for the ruling **cough** unlike swoop)

    Flair's first Boeing 737-800 NG aircraft is expected to arrive in December at some point. The reason for the one month lease is for Flair to take pilots out of commercial service so that they can be trained on the newer equipment. The Boeing 737-800 is expected to be in service after the short lease ends (December 30)
    corrected.
    Cant do much with a 1 month on the first license - makes me wonder why bother.

  7. #407
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Edmonton AB, Hamilton ON
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    corrected.
    Cant do much with a 1 month on the first license - makes me wonder why bother.
    Haha thanks for catching that


    From what's being said, they are going to use the one month lease to train crew on the new 737-8 equipment they will be receiving.
    I am still curious why they would start the lease on December 1st when they start flying the jysc of the U.S routes on December 15th... its pretty much a 15-day lease in that case.

  8. #408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAKELRS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    corrected.
    Cant do much with a 1 month on the first license - makes me wonder why bother.
    Haha thanks for catching that


    From what's being said, they are going to use the one month lease to train crew on the new 737-8 equipment they will be receiving.
    I am still curious why they would start the lease on December 1st when they start flying the jysc of the U.S routes on December 15th... its pretty much a 15-day lease in that case.
    The minimal lease duration is likely one month.

  9. #409
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Edmonton AB, Hamilton ON
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Flair has been paying flight attendants 30% more than Westjet and Air Canada pay their flight attendants. Original FA's will continue to make their higher wage while new flight attendants will be receiving a more competitive wage.

    Flairs negotiation tactics and how CUPE tried to bring down the airline are explained in this article: https://business.financialpost.com/e...#comments-area

  10. #410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAKELRS View Post
    Flair has been paying flight attendants 30% more than Westjet and Air Canada pay their flight attendants. Original FA's will continue to make their higher wage while new flight attendants will be receiving a more competitive wage.

    Flairs negotiation tactics and how CUPE tried to bring down the airline are explained in this article: https://business.financialpost.com/e...#comments-area
    Any flight disruptions due to strike would be catastrophic for Flair. Let's hope against it.

  11. #411

    Default

    Just booked YVR for Feb. Please no disruption!
    www.decl.org

  12. #412
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Edmonton AB, Hamilton ON
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by faraz View Post
    Any flight disruptions due to strike would be catastrophic for Flair. Let's hope against it.
    Flair did a survey with higher paid flight attendants and the majority said they would continue to work if there was a strike. I doubt this will be an issue, the veteran FA's are happy with their current pay (Flair was going to do a 30% pay-decrease since they are allowed to since the FA's are unionized but shifted gears). The main problem according to the article is that the union isn't happy with the two-tier pay system that Flair is currently doing (New FA's lower wage).

  13. #413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAKELRS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by faraz View Post
    Any flight disruptions due to strike would be catastrophic for Flair. Let's hope against it.
    Flair did a survey with higher paid flight attendants and the majority said they would continue to work if there was a strike. I doubt this will be an issue, the veteran FA's are happy with their current pay (Flair was going to do a 30% pay-decrease since they are allowed to since the FA's are unionized but shifted gears). The main problem according to the article is that the union isn't happy with the two-tier pay system that Flair is currently doing (New FA's lower wage).
    Do you know if there is a deadline for negotiations?

  14. #414
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Edmonton AB, Hamilton ON
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by faraz View Post
    Do you know if there is a deadline for negotiations?
    There was some light turbulence back in October but it seems steady now.
    I don't anticipate any strike action to take place as most of Flair's FA's are happy with the previous offer the company made ("At the next negotiating session, the company announced it would not reduce the wages or benefits of its current employees. On the contrary, it offered certain improvements...there would now be a two-tier wage system.")

    As I stated, if a strike were to occur, a survey showed that most FA's would continue working.

    "Flair has polled its employees to determine who will continue to work if CUPE strikes. A large number of flight attendants said that they will continue to work, certainly enough to operate the airline without disruption while new flight attendants are hired. Ironically, if CUPE’s strike were to make the airline unreliable to its passengers, Flair would quickly go out of business, thereby eliminating the jobs of all of its members. Flair has taken steps to ensure accordingly that a strike will not prevent it from reliably flying."

  15. #415
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Edmonton AB, Hamilton ON
    Posts
    12

    Default

    FLAIR AIRLINES STRIKE THREAT

    I am beyond shocked that CUPE has decided to go on and file the 72 hour notice for a strike.
    No word from Flair yet on how they will deal with this.

    https://www.princegeorgenow.com/wate...Eo-XBRyb_QUqEY

  16. #416
    Becoming a C2E Power Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    243

    Default

    That’s really unfortunate. So how does it end? Everyone gets paid the lower rate which is closer to market standard? Sounds like no one wins under that scenario.

    I had read before most current employees wouldn’t be in favour of a strike.

    Not good for a vulnerable airline no matter how you slice it. Ask Westjet what the threat of a strike did to their bookings...

  17. #417
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAKELRS View Post
    FLAIR AIRLINES STRIKE THREAT

    I am beyond shocked that CUPE has decided to go on and file the 72 hour notice for a strike.
    No word from Flair yet on how they will deal with this.

    https://www.princegeorgenow.com/wate...Eo-XBRyb_QUqEY
    Must be a different Flair Airlnes ... as the one at YEG moved it’s headquarters to Edmonton from the town of Kelowna. The CUPE union nitwits in the backwater of Kelowna apparently did not get the email.

  18. #418

    Default

    This is where the union has to change as there has to be different tiers imo. A new employee to a company shouldn't be paid the same about as a veteran employee of a same company. I'm with a union through my part time scaffold, and i have witnessed employees that are less capable than others, so how can they all be paid the same? There as to be a system that accommodates this.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

  19. #419
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    31,494

    Default


    Union representing Flair Airlines flight attendants issues strike notice

    Flight attendants employed by low-cost carrier Flair Airlines are prepared to go on strike Monday amid concerns about wages and scheduling.
    The 139 flight attendants are represented by The Canadian Union of Public Employees, which filed a 72-hour strike notice on Friday.
    The CUPE Local 4060 represents employees in Edmonton, Calgary, Kelowna, Abbotsford and Hamilton.
    The strike notice expires Monday at midnight.

    Flair Airlines and the union have been unable to reach agreements on wages, pensions and scheduling issues, CUPE said in a news release.
    "For the past several weeks, this employer has steadfastly refused to step away from its position of two-tier wages and benefits, which is fundamentally unfair," said CUPE representative Gary Yee.
    "Flair is transparently engaging in a divide and conquer strategy aimed at driving a wedge between workers in order to compete with other ultra-low-cost carriers. It is completely unfair to pay one group of flight attendants 30 per cent less for doing the same work as other flight attendants."

    In an emailed statement, Flair Airlines spokesperson Iris Dias said the company's flight attendants have historically been paid starting wages that are 30 per cent higher than its competitors.
    "We cannot continue to pay this kind of premium, and have requested all new flight attendants start at the same wages as our competitors," the statement reads.
    "Our aircrew is at the heart of our organization, and we believe our current offer provides a high quality of life for our flight attendants, while ensuring our business remains sustainable."
    Many flight attendants have contacted management to say they'll continue working during the potential strike, Dias said.
    Problems with Flair Air flights on Monday are not expected, but the airline recommends travellers check its website for flight status updates
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  20. #420
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Edmonton AB, Hamilton ON
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Flair Dodges Strike Threat... Kind of...


    CUPE has "postponed" to take job action against Flair for now.


    The reason isn't because Flair is going back to the table, its because
    the union wants to take legal action because they claim Flair "illegally tilting the balance of power in its favour"


    Link: https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...702312811.html

  21. #421
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Edmonton Downtown Core
    Posts
    4,888

    Default Competition Bureau checks WestJet's discount airline Swoop for predatory pricing

    "Canada's competition watchdog is looking into whether or not WestJet's discount carrier Swoop has been offering airline tickets at below cost just to push rivals out of those routes."


    https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/wes...reau-1.4942490

  22. #422
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    5,791

    Default

    What a shock eh?

    WestJet doing exactly what it whined Air Canada did when it started.

    Oh, and bonus, if you cause Flair to have to cancel flights, more YEG pax will have to transfer through YYC!!!!!!!!

    Joy ...
    ... gobsmacked

  23. #423

    Default

    And if Flair is as successful as WestJet, they'd do the same thing down the road. And so on, and so on....

  24. #424
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    5,791

    Default

    Well as long as the (very ironically named) "Competition" Bureau lacks the gonads to actually levy substantial, hurtful fines (You know - the kind investors hate?) it will keep going on and on and ...
    ... gobsmacked

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •