Thread: U of A entrance requirements

Default U of A entrance requirements

Your thoughts on what it takes for a kid to get into the University of Alberta ( UofA ) these days.

I hear that the sciences program entry grade is something like 88%.

I can't think of more than a few people in my day likely attaining that level of grading in my 700 or so high school graduating class.

An old thread on the UofC here...
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ead.php?t=2788
    Last edited by KC; 08-01-2016 at 05:11 PM.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quality of education at U of A is severely lacking. Unless you're going for a very specialized program, I would go elsewhere. Macewan or U of L maybe. But the students from programs like medicine are taught according to very old school AB specific curriculum that is dated and not particularly well received by other provinces and organizations. The media story we hear about how advanced the AB healthcare system is, is largely BS. I would attend medicine out of province if possible.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Quality of education at U of A is severely lacking. Unless you're going for a very specialized program, I would go elsewhere. Macewan or U of L maybe. But the students from programs like medicine are taught according to very old school AB specific curriculum that is dated and not particularly well received by other provinces and organizations. The media story we hear about how advanced the AB healthcare system is, is largely BS. I would attend medicine out of province if possible.
    Did you read the original post?

Besides the fact that many would disagree with your opinion, it did not answer the question.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Your thoughts on what it takes for a kid to get into the University of Alberta ( UofA ) these days.

I hear that the sciences program entry grade is something like 88%.

I can't think of more than a few people in my day likely attaining that level of grading in my 700 or so high school graduating class.

An old thread on the UofC here...
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ead.php?t=2788
    I do not know the exact averages needed but it is true that it has been generally increasing every year.

This is part and parcel of being the 4th best University in Canada.

Very competitive.

Oh look! Finally a topic I can meaningfully contribute to!

I got accepted to the UofA BSc program last August right out of high school after waiting for ten months and agonizing the entire time over whether or not my marks were good enough.

Lo and behold, they were somehow above average, but I'm almost certain it was the reference letters specifically pertaining to my degree that helped me through.

I know of some truly smart students that had to look elsewhere for their post-secondary studies due to the intensely competitive averages needed for something like engineering.

As stated above, that's the price you pay for having the 4th best University in Canada.

Very competitive but not worth it.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Etownboarder, I thought you worked at the U of A? And your opinion of it is really that low?

Haven't worked there in years. But both as an employee and a student, it was mediocre at best. Other Canadian institutions provide a better education.

In the 70s and 80s I believe the UofA was 'ranked' 5th. Maybe my leaving helped.

However, these rankings of mult-disciplinary institutions, schools, neighbourhoods, cities, wines, arts, brands, races, etc. have never held any real credibility to me.

When my father entered university many decades ago around the time of the Great Depression something like only 1 in 16 were able to go to university, attain degrees or some such ratio. When I went, a similar such ratio had risen to an amazing one in four! What is it today? Has it fallen or have the rising entry requirements just introduced a higher wall to scale over and so added a time lag to upgrade and then enter. (A friend says a lot of students now rewrite exams, take grade 12 subjects in grade 11, take summer school etc. in order to raise their scores.

I think it's excellent that the average has gone up. Barely obtaining honors (low 80s) in high school does not necessarily prepare you for university, because getting that kind of mark in high school is not that difficult. It's really a different world in university. I think only the most exceptional students should obtain direct entry to difficult faculties like science and engineering. It's for their own good.

Quote Originally Posted by River Valley Green View Post
    I think it's excellent that the average has gone up. Barely obtaining honors (low 80s) in high school does not necessarily prepare you for university, because getting that kind of mark in high school is not that difficult. It's really a different world in university. I think only the most exceptional students should obtain direct entry to difficult faculties like science and engineering. It's for their own good.
    I remember entering high school where we all lined up by junior high school and the administrators processed us. Just as I approached the desk two of the staff were saying something about how my school's marks were appearing low. One said something like; 'what did it take these poor kids to get an 80.' Clearly I had come from a hard marking school. I guess departmentals have levelled that field somewhat.

However, my father had skipped two grades so no doubt has been somewhat designed or prepared for the academic world of the time, a couple sisters and a brother too. The thing that I always wondered about were all those that couldn't get there and what society lost through the lack of diversity entering university back in those times.
    Last edited by KC; 09-01-2016 at 09:24 AM.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Going back a few years now, but explored NAIT, MacEwan, the U, among other Universities across Canada and thoroughly enjoyed my BA Econ experience and found the quality of education and experience very good overall.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by River Valley Green View Post
    It is very difficult, if not impossible to obtain an 80% average in relevant courses if you have to deal with a hearing problem. I went through mainstream education but my marks averaged 60%, I could have tried harder but I wanted have had a life. I can learn, but it takes me longer than average to do so. Which is why I never considered a university education, the risk of failure is too great. I did get a journeyman ticket at NAIT, the course there wasn't difficult but extremely demanding as in, one tiny slip and you fail. Even then, I barely made it. I get frustrated when my able hearing co-workers tell me they failed.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Partially Addicted to C2E

I realize medicine is just one example you provided, but I would take issue with the idea that Alberta medical schools are somehow subpar. A good example with respect to recent graduates (i.e. 2015) doesn't seem to support the idea that other provinces somehow look down upon graduates of the Faculty of Medicine at the U of A.

A good example is the report on CaRMS matching for 2015 that shows the U of A matched 63 out of 161 medical students in other Canadian provinces. This ranked third of all Canadian schools. Just one example but it certainly doesn't seem that having a U of A med degree is not well received in other parts of Canada.

http://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploa...on_English.pdf

Going to the U of A certainly isn't the right choice for everyone and other local schools are perfectly good options, but the idea that it's somehow subpar is simply not true.
    Last edited by DClan; 09-01-2016 at 02:33 PM.

I have no idea where Etownboarder is getting his ideas about the U of A medical school, because they are patently false. All medical schools in Canada are accredited by the AFMC based on stringent regulations among the highest in the world. They are all world class, and variation between them in rankings is mainly due to research quality. Even within those rankings, the u of A is one of the highest ranked.

^my ideas are coming from doctors who did their training at the world's best medical schools, who have come to work here, and are dealing with the students and training the U of A system employs. Alberta's medical system in general is a joke.

Don't forget the U of A was on probation for half a decade not too long ago because of gaps in their training.

Partially Addicted to C2E

^my ideas are coming from doctors who did their training at the world's best medical schools, who have come to work here, and are dealing with the students and training the U of A system employs. Alberta's medical system in general is a joke.

Don't forget the U of A was on probation for half a decade not too long ago because of gaps in their training.
    I'm sure there are lots of people, including medical professionals, that may not be fans of the U of A / Alberta medical schools. But I fail to see any actual evidence that medical degrees from the U of A are not valuable and are not respected by organizations or other provinces.

Also, you can call Alberta's medical system a joke, but I would love to see evidence that issues like high wait times have something to do with poor skills taught to doctors by the Faculties of Medicine at the U of A / U of C as opposed to poor policy, administration, etc. by those in charge of the heath care system as a whole.

Furthermore, lots of good institutions have been on probation from accreditation bodies in the past. Based on a quick google search you can learn that McGill (a top 50 university according to worldwide rankings groups) Faculty of Medicine was placed on probation in 2015.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/06...n_7607784.html

It also looks like the U of S seems to have had recent accreditation problems with its Faculty of Medicine as well

http://words.usask.ca/news/2015/10/1...bation-lifted/

That doesn't mean that being on probation isn't a big deal, but it's not like the U of A is the only school that has had to deal with such issues before

I am not going to convince most of you of my opinion and that's fine. But doctors trained outside of AB and recruiters at institutions outside of the U of A are well aware of a certain arrogance and "douche bag syndrome" from the U of A that is neither deserved nor warranted. It may not apply to all, but it applies to many. Outside of the U of A this opinion is relatively common.

I'd rather C2E than work!

my simple advice .... Do your research which university is best suited for you then you will be happy after all once you choose the right one.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Although, the UofA gets a large amount of out of province students and students from abroad, it remains the majority of undergrads are from this province. And the way marks are being handed out in the public school system, I feel average marks have crept up over the years (no zero policies, removal of written components in provincial exams, watering down mathematics, etc). It's only natural to see the enrollment requirements to sciences and engineering over 88%.
    Problem with this, as suggested already, is that majority of the students who "coasted" through HS with 90s are ill-prepared to cope with the university program. Some can adapt, some cannot. I found that people taking the full-IB program definitely had a leg up - largely due to better study ethics.

That aside, I think there's more than one factor at play that's probably causing the inflation of mark requirements. Yes, there is more interest in the school, but speaking from experience, the inbound classes were 10-20% larger than what I was experiencing by the time I graduated a few years back. So the school is accommodating more students as well.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Problem with this, as suggested already, is that majority of the students who "coasted" through HS with 90s are ill-prepared to cope with the university program. Some can adapt, some cannot. I found that people taking the full-IB program definitely had a leg up - largely due to better study ethics.
    Not just the IB kids...I found that the ones who barely met the entrance requirements of the program were often among the most successful. They were the ones who never skipped class, sought out extra help from profs/TA's, and took nothing for granted. The ones who coasted through high school, as you say, assumed they knew everything and that it would all take care of itself.

The irony is that everyone says we need better educated kids to compete in the global economy. So, what do we do? We cap the number of people able to attain such education.

Along similar lines, if we want more people becoming successful entrepreneurs, would it make sense to require extremely strict requirements to starting an enterprise, so only those with the highest marks could get a licence to start their own business? All this presupposes that career success stems directly from grades attained and the doors those grades opened. We seem to have made the assumption that our current and past testing processes suitably weed out all those lacking potential in the workplace of the future.

Beyond the rhetoric: Finding solutions for Canada’s skills challenges
    Letters to the Editor (The Guardian)Published on July 09, 2014

Another important step is to realize that Canada’s skills challenges need to be met on several fronts at once. Just because Canada may need more plumbers or welders doesn’t mean it needs fewer university grads. In the fast-paced and rapidly changing global economy, we need more university graduates, more college graduates and more tradespeople if we are to develop the human potential of our country to its fullest extent. Today’s employers need high-level skills at all levels of operations — from the shop floor to the boardroom.

In fact, a recent CIBC study found that the most in-demand occupations in Canada today require a university degree. Yet we’ve fallen from fifth place in university participation to 15th amongst OECD countries.

...Universities are dynamic and responsive institutions. Some 45 Canadian universities have developed entrepreneurship degree programs and provide workshops, facilities, mentoring and other supports to students and researchers to help them commercialize product and service ideas.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Opinion...s-challenges/1
    Last edited by KC; 19-02-2016 at 12:24 PM.

C2E Continued Contributor

There are more students now than before, and the number of seats in certain educational programs have not really increased proportionally. Canada's (and Alberta's) population has grown significantly in the last twenty years.

For example, look at Pharmacy. The degree entrance requirements are nearly as steep as Dentistry or Medicine, and nearly the same number of seats as in the past.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

C2E Posting Power
    Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley, San Tan Valley

Now-a-days, just be an international student and you'll get in.

hey etownboarder... I graduated from UoA medicine... you calling me stupid?