Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
Results 1,501 to 1,563 of 1563

Thread: Ice District Tower B | ~150m | Under Construction

C2E SME

It would make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Would like to see WG open a large Gretzkys Sports Bar
    Agree with you on that. Would be amazing to have something like the Real Sports Bar in Toronto.

https://www.blogto.com/restaurants/r...s-bar-toronto/

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^I’d have thought that Katz would have had one built already since he’s basically following the MLSE business model.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

There is usually workers out there, but not too much progress being made. Looks like mostly prep work...

They are just sealing the deck so they start using the parkade in October. If the tower is 6 or more moths away it makes sense.

July 09, 2018
    10305 - 104 AVENUE NW
    Plan 1722545 Blk 2 Lots 7,10,12

To construct temporary FENCE HOARDING along 104 AV ONLY for Block BG: a 43-storey mixed-use building project (S side 104 AV: 58 lin m from alley to 103 ST.) 4 July 2018 - 4 January 2020.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Likely not using his own money to finance Ice District the sale of the Edmonton Tower would free up more financing for another tower. Perhaps? Imagine the cost to build Edmonton, JW, and Stantec towers. May have something to do with the delay too? Just guessing. If Iím right then the sale of JW and Stantec, which Iíve heard are on the market, would likely initiate planning of the baccarat site.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 12-07-2018 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Messiah View Post
    Would like to see WG open a large Gretzkys Sports Bar
    Agree with you on that. Would be amazing to have something like the Real Sports Bar in Toronto.

https://www.blogto.com/restaurants/r...s-bar-toronto/
    Wouldnít it, itís quite something. Tower B podium would be a good place for one.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 12-07-2018 at 04:23 AM.

From the EDC meeting minutes on June 19:

-----------------------------------

C.2. ICE District Block BG (Development Permit)
    10324 103 Street NW
    Dave Moore - Dialog Design

MOVED: D. Brown Motion of Non-support

● The design intends to lift the mass of the building off the ground plane; however, the perceived mass of the building has visually increased. Similarly, reducing the transparency and articulation and variation in materiality on the second and third floor of the building negatively impacts the interface with the plaza and adjacent streets.
    ● Generally, the tower lacks articulation adequate to its scale and size. In particular, greater variation of materials should be considered on the west and east side of the small tower and on north side of the tall tower.
    ● Loss of public access to roof and programming opportunities on rooftop area is a great detriment to the project and diminishes the overall public realm of Ice District.
    ● The extent of the third floor interior mechanical space is not clearly delineated in the drawing package. Futhermore, the exterior rooftop mechanical space is not sufficiently screened from view by residents of the tower or adjacent developments.

SECONDED: A. Zepp
    CARRIED
    FOR THE MOTION: W. Sims, A. Zepp, T. Antoniuk, D. Deshpande, S. Kaznacheeva, C. Holmes, D. Brown, B. Nolan

------------------------------

Amen. Do better.

Likely not using his own money to finance Ice District the sale of the Edmonton Tower would free up more financing for another tower. Perhaps? Imagine the cost to build Edmonton, JW, and Stantec towers. May have something to do with the delay too? Just guessing. If Iím right then the sale of JW and Stantec, which Iíve heard are on the market, would likely initiate planning of the baccarat site.
    Often major developments are financed and even well off developers need to be careful not to over extend themselves, so perhaps Tower B was slowed down if the sale of the Edmonton Tower was not completed as quickly as expected.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Concrete Jungle View Post

10324 103 Street NW

● The design intends to lift the mass of the building off the ground plane; however, the perceived mass of the building has visually increased. Similarly, reducing the transparency and articulation and variation in materiality on the second and third floor of the building negatively impacts the interface with the plaza and adjacent streets.
    ● Generally, the tower lacks articulation adequate to its scale and size. In particular, greater variation of materials should be considered on the west and east side of the small tower and on north side of the tall tower.
    ● Loss of public access to roof and programming opportunities on rooftop area is a great detriment to the project and diminishes the overall public realm of Ice District.
    ● The extent of the third floor interior mechanical space is not clearly delineated in the drawing package. Futhermore, the exterior rooftop mechanical space is not sufficiently screened from view by residents of the tower or adjacent developments.

SECONDED: A. Zepp
    CARRIED
    FOR THE MOTION: W. Sims, A. Zepp, T. Antoniuk, D. Deshpande, S. Kaznacheeva, C. Holmes, D. Brown, B. Nolan

------------------------------

Amen. Do better.
    +1

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Would be neat to have a bowling alley/bar type place take some space without the theater going in.

http://www.luckystrikesocial.com/

Visited this Lucky Strike place in San Francisco across from the baseball stadium before a game and it was a great time.

C2E SME

Bowling would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Concrete Jungle View Post

10324 103 Street NW

What's this about a small tower and a tall tower?

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post

What a downgrade, what a shame! The tower sure has morphed from elegant to fugly and losing that darn fine looking rooftop garden. I ain't gonna be following this thread unless an improved version is presented. As is, this screams, welcome to '80's Winnipeg !
    Last edited by TRtower; 13-07-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Itíll be nicer than this render, look at the Stantec here then look at the real thing. They will add some things to it and it will end up a happy medium.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by chinpokomon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post

Thanks for the sesame street sized letters.

I thought it was a single tower with a short side and a tall side. Didn't realize it was considered two separate towers.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Edmonton Design Committee doesnít support changes new Ice District tower

The cityís panel of architecture and design experts did not support some of the changes for the next tower project in Ice District.

Katz Group latest version of the mixed-use building features a residential high-rise and a podium to be built on the former Greyhound depot lands called ďBlock BG.Ē

The current designs do not include some specific amenities in the original plan, such as a two-storey cinema and a rooftop garden.

Those revisions are part of the reason why the Edmonton Design Committee (EDC) voted not to support Block BG, saying the loss of public access to the roof and programming opportunities is ďa great detriment to the project and diminishes the overall public realm of Ice District.Ē

The committee also determined the tower lacks articulation adequate to its scale and size.

Councillor Sarah Hamilton said despite the fact the EDC didnít approve of the tower, its decision is not binding and some projects get approved for development without its blessing.

ďI think if you look at projects that come to council, [EDC] often does hold some weight, but it doesnít determine the outcome,Ē Hamilton explained.
    ďYou have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.Ē - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Ya, they didnít support Holyrood but it was passed.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Well, ok so if EDC rejects the renders, does rejecting the renders have any bearing on getting a DP?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Ya, they didn’t support Holyrood but it was passed.
    Only because the latest renders there was more watered down and larger spaces between buildings.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Pretty much no work done in the last few weeks, still waiting on finalizing the design I guess. Also not much progress on the plaza, kind of a disappointment as the Marriot/Stantec are finishing up in the next year and everything else in the ICE District is at a stand still...

Last edited by Kreation; 01-08-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Is there any news on newly design tower yet ??
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    At least a year away from construction from what I've heard.

Lots of work on the parkade ramp though. Getting it ready for the upcoming season. Cash cow.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jagators63 View Post
    At least a year away from construction from what I've heard.
    thats really unfortunate. That tower not being complete will make the plaza feel incomplete and put a damper on the feeling of a “district” for years.

Hopefully that means they're not going with that latest tower design we saw.

C2E SME

mattyw is not a reliable source for development/construction industry information.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    mattyw is not a reliable source for development/construction industry information.
    haha not at all. My understanding is that at-grade construction is to start imminently. They have made a final decision on the Theater (wasn't told which way) and that the final design did have some sizable tweaks.

Quote Originally Posted by millwoods View Post
    My understanding is that at-grade construction is to start imminently.
    Wow, so does this mean it's finally resumed? It's about time!

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Lots of work on the parkade ramp though. Getting it ready for the upcoming season. Cash cow.
    No the ramp has been unchanged for months, that was PCL's to complete before handing over to Graham for the tower work.

C2E Continued Contributor

Hoarding being put up along 104th Ave today which should mean it's moving along
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

So how are they going to funnel arena crowds coming up 103 St now that the "tunnel" is gone?

Quote Originally Posted by millwoods View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    haha not at all. My understanding is that at-grade construction is to start imminently. They have made a final decision on the Theater (wasn't told which way) and that the final design did have some sizable tweaks.
    But council still needs to approve the final design, not so?

Approved? Without going back to EDC? How is that possible?

^ It's my understanding that the EDC can only make recommendations and are not able to enforce anything. Correct if I'm wrong.
    Skyscraper Enthusiast

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ That is correct.
    ďYou have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.Ē - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

"MOVED: Motion of Non-support

Loss of public access to roof and programming opportunities on rooftop area is a great detriment to the project and diminishes the overall public realm of Ice District.
    ● The extent of the third floor interior mechanical space is not clearly delineated in the drawing package. Furthermore, the exterior rooftop mechanical space is not sufficiently screened from view by residents of the tower or adjacent developments."

I hope some of the above was addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreation View Post
    No the ramp has been unchanged for months, that was PCL's to complete before handing over to Graham for the tower work.
    Eh, last time I walked by, they were erecting what looked like a canopy or something over the ramp.

Y'all remember that we do have this: http://www.rogersplace.com/time-lapse-5/

walked by today, looks like they are completing the portal to the parkade

Quote Originally Posted by Kreation View Post
    Pretty much no work done in the last few weeks, still waiting on finalizing the design I guess. Also not much progress on the plaza, kind of a disappointment as the Marriot/Stantec are finishing up in the next year and everything else in the ICE District is at a stand still...

inset picture of something actually happening here....

drove by today and noticed new hording up advertising the new coming rental units. I also see that the cameras for Rogers Place live have all seemed to disappear; perhaps the www link has changed. Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by buildings View Post
    drove by today and noticed new hording up advertising the new coming rental units. I also see that the cameras for Rogers Place live have all seemed to disappear; perhaps the www link has changed. Does anyone know?
    Was there any website?

im curious.

placing bets now. 2bed 2bath 1000sf 2250$

Quote Originally Posted by cpnfantstk View Post
    ^ It's my understanding that the EDC can only make recommendations and are not able to enforce anything. Correct if I'm wrong.
    The Development Officer only takes the EDC's comments into consideration. The final decision is up to the DO.

That being said I am sure the end product will be just fine. And so what if there's construction happening on that site for another 2 years after JW/Stantec and the plaza open.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    And so what if there's construction happening on that site for another 2 years after JW/Stantec and the plaza open.
    Your right. No rush to put up just "anything". Though hopefully the plaza will be useable to some extent.

Itís another big project that will keep a lot of guys working. As the construction in ice district swings over to the plaza and tower B, with the completion of JW and then Stantec, Iím wondering what plans are being discussed for the baccarat site. It will be interesting as DK has said this will be the site of their finest showpiece tower.

Itís another big project that will keep a lot of guys working. As the construction in ice district swings over to the plaza and tower B, with the completion of JW and then Stantec, Iím wondering what plans are being discussed for the baccarat site. It will be interesting as DK has said this will be the site of their finest showpiece tower.
    Heard a rumor this was approved and is proceeding. Not sure if any of EDC's comments were addressed or responded to.

C2E SME

Taken August 30, 2018

icedist_23
    by Paul Smolik, on Flickr

icedist_24

icedist_25

icedist_26
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E SME

From the looks of the last couple of my pictures, I'm wondering how much longer it will be until they open up that portal to get to Rogers Place.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    From the looks of the last couple of my pictures, I'm wondering how much longer it will be until they open up that portal to get to Rogers Place.
    Katz : 25mil unlock the doors fee.

Drumbones if you made it here to the Tower B thread the answer is no news as you can see from the posts below.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    Drumbones if you made it here to the Tower B thread the answer is no news as you can see from the posts below.
    I think the pause on this project is a good thing.. not to speculate but the silence on this could mean they are contemplating another redesign...I hope! I would be happy if they waited longer until market conditions improved enough for them to justify a redesign that is closer to the original vision. I'm worried that if they half-*** this final piece it could diminish the value of the other two towers, and (to a point) the potential success of this development. I would love to see a true entertainment district with roof-top dining, rec-room, sports bar and high quality grocer such as an urban fair or a whole foods.

It's getting frustrating trying to walk along 104 avenue...Both the sidewalks on the south side of 104th ave and northside of 103rd ave are closed and the detour in winter is just a PITA.

Why can't they build a covered pedestrian walkway like what they have at Encore/Mayfair?

Quote Originally Posted by lvngstn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    I think the pause on this project is a good thing.. not to speculate but the silence on this could mean they are contemplating another redesign...I hope! I would be happy if they waited longer until market conditions improved enough for them to justify a redesign that is closer to the original vision. I'm worried that if they half-*** this final piece it could diminish the value of the other two towers, and (to a point) the potential success of this development. I would love to see a true entertainment district with roof-top dining, rec-room, sports bar and high quality grocer such as an urban fair or a whole foods.
    I'm with you on that.

To quote the noted philosopher, Eminem, "You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow; This opportunity comes once in a lifetime, yo"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

It's getting frustrating trying to walk along 104 avenue...Both the sidewalks on the south side of 104th ave and northside of 103rd ave are closed and the detour in winter is just a PITA.

Why can't they build a covered pedestrian walkway like what they have at Encore/Mayfair?
    104 Avenue has been a multi-year pain for drivers as well as pedestrians. It looks like the sidewalk in front of the JW Marriott is close to being finished. A covered pedestrian walkway in front of Tower B should allow for both the south sidewalk to be re-opened and at least one additional lane of EB traffic. Can't come soon enough.

A little worried about what the redo of this Tower's podium will look like. Originally it was a lot of glass and interacted with the plaza. I hope that is still the case.
    www.decl.org

The podium was "specific desiged" for a theatre so obviously it had to be redone. I can't imagine they would reduce the value of the podium. Reduction would definitely devalue the whole district in both value and aesthetic. I can't see Katz gambling that- at least I wouldn't in that position. The tower can be fooled to look higher value, but the podium can't as it is a canvas that people view in our natural disposition.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Taken August 30, 2018

icedist_23

icedist_24

icedist_25

icedist_26
    hey we're making progress here....should be done in about another 10 years or so....

I see you are using Dub's calender.
    " The strength of a man is in the stride he walks."

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    I see you are using Dub's calendar.
    Dubstep

lol

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516