Thread: Career Paths for an Immigrant like me.

Question Career Paths for an Immigrant like me.

Hi guys i just need your help because it bothers me a lot ever since i first landed here in Canada which is also my new Home. (dont laugh at my english please).
    this is regarding to my career paths as you see on the title, i am an Immigrant who came here last summer of 2014 with my family and i am already 22 years old. i already finish Bachelors Degree in my home country which is Hotel and Restaurant Administration, and i am planning to study again this coming school year but instead, i want to learn new other things that can also earn more money here in Canada specifically in my place Edmonton Alberta. the problem is i don't know what kind of program and i didn't even know what school can offer me great education. i was thinking if u can suggest what school and program that offers great opportunity in a long run. and also i dont know if they ever credit the course or subject that i took in my home town does that mean i will be going back to HS to get those requirements. please help me my fellow edmontonians i figure it out that this is the best place i can ask for help because i dont have friends or mentor that can support me in my decision.

Long answer, short. You might want to start from here: http://eriec.ca

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Do you want to go to school for Hotel and Restaurant administration?

or for something different?

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Are you having problems getting employment in your field? (something I would recommend before sinking time and money into further education)

I want to try different fields that i am having fun and and also can earn money. can you suggest anything. thank you sir
    Last edited by Lenerbustos; 20-03-2016 at 09:32 PM.

No its just i dont know what kind of career should i take, also its very confusing to me and i was thinking if do i need to go back to HS again.

its just i am not happy anymore on my work. i want to do something more exciting and also i want to experience the University life here in Canada. in my previous years, living a life here and to my home country is very different and i am just confuse and curious how University is and how they educate people.

First you should consider mastering what you are doing now and finding ways to move up the ladder.

But while considering that:
    1. If you're considering changing industries, go talk to one counsellor at NAIT, and another counsellor at MacEwan.
    2. If you're interested in higher level challenges, talk to a counsellor at the U of A MBA office.

How you would do might depend on what your university was like. Canadian university is kindof similar to European university. A heavy workload and significant stress.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

If you want to attend university, I don't think that you need to upgrade your high school, if you attend as a mature student. This is a special category of applicant. You should go ask at the University of Alberta or Grant MacEwan University student services or administration office.

I 'was'/(am?) an immigrant myself and I will tell you, you will have to get a new degree. Your degree work experience abroad counts for nothing in Canada. Employers will toss your resume in the dumpster.

Try to learn the hiring process for different companies, and you will have to hang out with Canadians to learn their quirks (for some reason they don't speak 'sarcasm)).

Good news is you are young enough to learn (read: make mistakes) and that you've already found this forum which means you might learn a thing or two about the environment you have chosen to live in.

Hint: most people here are engineers. That tells you better get a degree which is heavy in sciences, especially data sciences.

Thank you so much guys for giving me options and suggestions these means a lot for me for my future. i would probably go ask for a consultant in NAIT or MacEwan and also, I am leaning towards Business Management or Information Technology, Computer Science thank you my fellow Edmontonians.

Some advice from a former Edmontonian:

"I do think I'm lucky. And the harder I work, the luckier I seem to become."
    - Wayne Gretzky
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Seriously..don't believe for a sec that working harder will yield results. You just have to be working smarter.."Go where the puck will be" as the same Edmontonian used to say.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Some advice from a former Edmontonian:

"I do think I'm lucky. And the harder I work, the luckier I seem to become."
    - Wayne Gretzky

I think JayBee has a better argument here.

Very few people have that talent of "creating" opportunities for themselves. That's why we celebrate Wayne Gretzky. A unique talent. No one can guarantee which skillset will make you successful in 5-10 years time. What is hot now (for example data science) is typically the tail's end. By the time you read about in newspapers, it means a huge backlog of students are coming down the pipeline before you graduate. Again, who knows. In economic language, most of us are price takers. Unfortunately, from my experience (which is not that extensive of course) some people take that "work smart" mantra as finding dubious short-cuts in life. There are no short cuts. Find something at the intersection of what you are good at, what you like and what pays, and please stick to the good old hard work mentality.

As an immigrant myself, I've been here in Canada 36 years. You're still very young, so before taking that big step, you might want to just enjoy the Canadian way of life for a year or two before deciding. Find a job you think you would like for now and learn how things are here. Find things that you enjoy to do; figure out what makes you happy when you do it, and by that, it will lead you down a path. For example, if you like helping people, perhaps nursing is the path. It has good pay and strong long term security. Maybe you are good in math, so how about accounting/financing as your path? The reason I suggest working a year or two before starting school is so you can experience the Canadian way as it could be extremely different from where you come from.

By the way, your English is not too bad.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Safir View Post
    Hint: most people here are engineers. That tells you better get a degree which is heavy in sciences, especially data sciences.
    hint: i don't think most people here are engineers.

actually, i would hope that most people here aren't engineers.

although if they are it might explain a lot...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I agree with all three of the emoticons, but you could atleast play along and have your 15 minutes lol.

If you like science and would like a job that has lots of stability and portability, I recommend an education or job training in any sort of field that is health-related - nursing, med lab tech, MRI tech, occupational therapy, histocytology, etc.

Speaking to an advisor at MacEwan, NAIT, or NorQuest would be the best place to start for you.

Since you have identified your English as a bit of a weak point, I strongly suggest that you contact NorQuest College first - they have a fantastic English language program for newcomers to Canada. Once you have a good grasp of English, you will be able to learn anything.

Good luck to you!

Judging by his writing skills, it's a lot better than your average long time/born Canadian. They need minor refinement, so I would suggest some form of high school upgrade program rather than Norquest. If you were advising Norquest for what I just addressed and they have such support then yes that would be a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    If you like science and would like a job that has lots of stability and portability, I recommend an education or job training in any sort of field that is health-related - nursing, med lab tech, MRI tech, occupational therapy, histocytology, etc.
    With an ageing population, its hard to go wrong with a medical job.