Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425
Results 2,401 to 2,441 of 2441

Thread: Liberals And Trudeau - Performance Review!

I'd rather C2E than work!

He's really standing up for Quebec and Ontario dairy farmers, he might have to put that on the table!

He's really standing up for Quebec and Ontario dairy farmers, he might have to put that on the table!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

What Canada swindled $100B from the US? We're a nation of something like 30 million people compared to their what 250 million?

Once we get the Tans Mountain pipeline built we should stop sending America oil.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    That would mean supply management. That would really hurt our economy.

Good luck on getting it, but what's needed is world solidarity against Trump. His whole mentality is 'it's him against the world' anyway. Play him at his own game.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Doug Ford supports Trudeau. Only a few days after the election, Doug gets cozy with the Liberal PM. Who knew that Ford was a closet liberal?? LOL

Ford stands with Trudeau in Trump trade dispute

http://torontosun.com/news/local-new...-trade-dispute
    It’s true Ontario’s next premier has expressed his like and respect for President Donald Trump in the past.

But this time, and on the issue of trade, Doug Ford is 100 per cent with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

And it comes at a time when Trudeau’s in need of some help as the American leadership is publicly bashing him hard.
    Ontario’s premier-elect emphatically says when it comes to a trade war between Trump and Trudeau he knows exactly where he stands.

“When it comes to the trade deal south of border we stand shoulder to shoulder with the prime minister and our federal counterparts,” Ford said as he entered the Whitney Block at Queen’s Park for his first meeting with his transition team since Thursday’s election landslide.

The PC leader who will take over as premier June 29th said “all provinces should” support Trudeau in this battle.
    Ain't that a neck snapper...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Doug Ford supports Trudeau. Only a few days after the election, Doug gets cozy with the Liberal PM. Who knew that Ford was a closet liberal?? LOL

Ford stands with Trudeau in Trump trade dispute

http://torontosun.com/news/local-new...-trade-dispute
    It’s true Ontario’s next premier has expressed his like and respect for President Donald Trump in the past.

But this time, and on the issue of trade, Doug Ford is 100 per cent with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

And it comes at a time when Trudeau’s in need of some help as the American leadership is publicly bashing him hard.
    Ontario’s premier-elect emphatically says when it comes to a trade war between Trump and Trudeau he knows exactly where he stands.

“When it comes to the trade deal south of border we stand shoulder to shoulder with the prime minister and our federal counterparts,” Ford said as he entered the Whitney Block at Queen’s Park for his first meeting with his transition team since Thursday’s election landslide.

The PC leader who will take over as premier June 29th said “all provinces should” support Trudeau in this battle.
    Ain't that a neck snapper...
    not really... or at least not for those who think most conservatives are quite capable of having relatively liberal social values or that most liberals are quite capable of supporting reasonable fiscal policy.

it’s that “us and them” or more accurately that “us vs them” approach in your posts that seems to want to create and maintain some kind of great divide even when there is an opportunity to overcome our relatively minor differences that might be the biggest disappointment and impediment we face.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

More like us against the USA

This famous quote can be used in a Trump's 'Trumped up' Trade War.

Yes, Trump has said repeatedly lied that the US is being attacked by its trading partners.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 11-06-2018 at 09:06 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    That would mean supply management. That would really hurt our economy.
    I know, we're going to hurt anyway. I'm betting he won't let go of this though..

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

PRT...

...I'd re-read kcantor's statements. It is not us V the USA. The USA is not, in any way, shape, or form, lined up behind their current President or his claims.

The "claims" made by Trump, while exaggerated, are nothing new. Dairy has been a sore point since before Regan/Mulroney. Softwood...ditto.

The over the top rhetoric some claim is a Trumpism...well...many opposed are doing the same thing...
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

Read kcantor's post again that "there is an opportunity to overcome our relatively minor differences". I agree that they are minor but Trump is sabre rattling and making all sorts of false claims. The direct result is tariffs are now applied on Canadian steel and aluminum and who knows what next, dairy and automobiles?

Trump is a belligerent old fool and being nice has not worked. Maybe you should realize this.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    PRT...

...I'd re-read kcantor's statements. It is not us V the USA. The USA is not, in any way, shape, or form, lined up behind their current President or his claims.

The "claims" made by Trump, while exaggerated, are nothing new. Dairy has been a sore point since before Regan/Mulroney. Softwood...ditto.

The over the top rhetoric some claim is a Trumpism...well...many opposed are doing the same thing...

Obama bought Dairy up to Harper! Its politically sensitive, as its Quebec and Ontario..

C2E SME

If it wasn't dairy, it would be something else that Trump fixates on.

That being said, we really should get rid of supply management in dairy, eggs and poultry, regardless of what Trump thinks. And if it gives him a win he can trumpet, so be it. It's a bad deal for the average Canadian consumer, which results in us paying 2-3 times what we should be for those products, just to cosset a few thousand very wealthy farmers in Quebec and Ontario.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle36029788/

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

That being said, we really should get rid of supply management in dairy, eggs and poultry, regardless of what Trump thinks. And if it gives him a win he can trumpet, so be it. It's a bad deal for the average Canadian consumer, which results in us paying 2-3 times what we should be for those products, just to cosset a few thousand very wealthy farmers in Quebec and Ontario.

Not saying we shouldn't, but if we did do that, then the market would get flooded with cheap US stuff. Then we'd have to launch a WTO complaint against the US for dumping since their dairy is massively subsidized. Then Trump would get mad again.
    From what I understand of the US system, they can produce as much as they want (for more than is needed in the country) and subsidies are available to ensure none of them go out of business. The CAD system is not subsidized directly, but controlled to ensure supply meets demand which works ok but not great. Neither are very free trade/capitalist though.

Exactly, I was just pointing out it was brought up with the last administration..

Better check out the following website: https://albertamilk.com/

There were 519 Dairy Farms in Alberta in the spring of 2017. It is a very important component of our own agricultural industry and indeed has attracted a large number of immigrants from Holland who have invested and run many of them near Edmonton.

^ Facts Matter.

Thanks for the info.

I had a Dutch friend who had a dairy operation just south of Edmonton.

I would rather pay more for milk and cheeze than have all ours come from hugely subsidized industrial farms in the US. Say goodbye to all Canadian dairy farms.

If you want cheaper milk and cheese, why not let in Chinese imports? Are you OK with that and willing to serve it to your children?

Maybe it’s time to build a wall.

And make trump pay for it.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ The TPP would open the doors for that too happen. It be a scary proposition. What kind of labeling on their products do we get? Quality control, etc.

I hope talks are underway thanks to this weekend's G7 meeting to have said countries gang up on the US. They're is safety in numbers.

Peter Lougheed was right. Stop sending our bitumen to the US. Especially when the TM pipeline is built.

I thought with TPP we would be open to some lovely cheeses from France, no?

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT
    ^ Facts Matter.

Oh, my bad then. Roughly 8500 of the dairy farms are outside of Alberta given your facts from the dairy lobby, or something like 94%. There's probably a similar number in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. So the fact remains that 80-90% of the dairy farms in Canada are in Ontario and Quebec.

Speaking of facts, any debunking of how much more expensive our dairy, poultry and egg products are as compared to most other developed countries?

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT
    If you want cheaper milk and cheese, why not let in Chinese imports? Are you OK with that and willing to serve it to your children?

Provided it meets our health and safety standards, and trade access is reciprocal, I'd be A-OK with that. Not that I have children.

Try going to Switzerland. $11.00 Cdn for a dozen eggs.

BTW there are more than 5 provinces in Canada that have a dairy industry. Also Ontario and Quebec have the largest populations hence the greater number of dairy farms. Two thirds of Canadians live there. Metro Montreal has a greater population than all of Alberta.

Facts matter.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 11-06-2018 at 07:58 PM.

^^Here is a link to an infographic with the number of dairy farms, cows and heifers by province in Canada:

http://www.dairyinfo.gc.ca/index_e.p...rm-ferme&s3=nb

Below is a site that allows comparisons to be done on different prices for major consumer goods between Canada and the US (converted to Cdn dollars). The price of fluid milk is about twice as high in Canada but the differentials between other supply managed products (cheese, eggs, chicken breasts) is much narrower than two to one.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...=United+States

So, 25 years later, the movie Canadian Bacon comes to life, and it isn't all that funny.

Three points.

When the FTA was signed in the 1980s, some people (I was one of them, then) thought it would likely end with unreasonable USA demands and tariffs leading to a trade war Canada could not possibly win. We were thought alarmist at the time. And yet, here we are. As soon as the tariffs actually came down (and as I recall the process ended around 1993), free trade became immediately popular and many (I was one of them, then) cheered. We forgot the reality. And here we are.

Second. I already hear too many people blaming Trump and not the USA as a whole. This is wrong, sentimental and foolish. For the very same reason that the attack on Trudeau is an attack on the whole of Canada (except our Trumpiste fifth-columnists), this is not Trump speaking, but the USA as a nation-state, in the face of its elected leader. Let them sort out Trump; then we'll talk -- at a distance. That, at least, should be our attitude, though it isn't. Too many of us have paid no attention to the usual American attack playbook; and now that it's our turn, too few of us have the dignity required really to come to the proper conclusion.

Third. Anyone who plans on going to Vegas, or anywhere else under the stars and stripes, has already put the lie to whatever words he has said in Canada's support.

A few days ago I argued against the BC boycott. The difference, in case anyone needs to be reminded, is this: for any squabbles, BC is Canada. The USA is not. Nation-states matter.
    Last edited by AShetsen; 11-06-2018 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    ^^Here is a link to an infographic with the number of dairy farms, cows and heifers by province in Canada:

http://www.dairyinfo.gc.ca/index_e.p...rm-ferme&s3=nb
    Thanks for that
    Quebec & Ontario have 62% of the population and 69% of the dairy cows. Difference is only 7%. Nothing to cry over a bit of spilt milk...

Oh, my bad then. Roughly 8500 of the dairy farms are outside of Alberta given your facts from the dairy lobby, or something like 94%. There's probably a similar number in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. So the fact remains that 80-90% of the dairy farms in Canada are in Ontario and Quebec.
    Not anywhere near the numbers that Marcel was shooting off the hip. Alberta dairy farms have an average of 152 cows but Ontario and Quebec are much smaller operations with 86 and 65 cows/farm respectively. BC has only 400 farms but very large operations with an average of 200 cows. Quebec has the smallest average dairy farm size in all of Canada.

Marcel, you are in bad form tonight...
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 11-06-2018 at 09:59 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

According to the link that East McCauley provided, Alberta in 2017 had:

282 Farms
    41,900 cows
    20,500 Heifers

The real problem in the dairy industry is over supply as almost every country subsidizes its diary industry. In the US they subsidize their diary industry to ~ $3.5B annually.

I would like my milk to come from a farm that isn't 2400 km away (Wisconsin) or 9300 km away (China).

282 Farms
    41,900 cows
    20,500 Heifers

The real problem in the dairy industry is over supply as almost every country subsidizes its diary industry. In the US they subsidize their diary industry to ~ $3.5B annually.
    Those are the Manitoba numbers.

Alberta in 2017 had:

523 dairy farms
    79,500 cows
    38,700 heifers

That's about 150 milk cows per dairy farm on average. When my Dad went full-time into dairying in the mid-1960s a farm was considered large if it milked 30 or more cows.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Thanks, I thought I was looking at Alberta. Note too self, don't post after midnight.

Wisconsin alone produces more milk than all of Canada. And 10% of imports are permitted in tariff free. The US only allows 3% before they get hit with tariffs.

Wisconsin’s Sacrificial Cows
    Antiquated federal price controls are propping up huge dairy farms in unlikely states across the US — and helping to kill off small ones in Wisconsin, ‘the dairy state.’

Much of the Wisconsin exodus stems from industry changes nationwide. In today’s corporate-dominated dairy world, the smallest farms can’t compete, and many farm kids have no desire to inherit their parents’ long hours and hard labor. But Wisconsin farmers are being felled by an additional burden: the federal government’s bizarre 60-year-old price-support system, which mandates higher prices for milk intended for drinking than for milk meant for the production of cheese, a staple of Wisconsin dairies. Especially archaic is the provision rewarding farmers with higher milk prices the farther they are from Eau Claire, Wis. Dairy farmers in Dade County, Fla., for instance, get an extra $2.60 per hundredweight for their milk compared to Upper Midwesterners — or around 25 percent more gross income.

The Eau Claire system was introduced back when the dairy industry was clustered in the Upper Midwest and before refrigerated trucks let milk zip from Vermont to Georgia without going bad. Then, lawmakers wanted to make sure the entire country had a fresh, local supply of milk — so, to encourage more dairy farms in far-off states, Congress hiked up the minimum price milk distributors must pay non-Midwest dairy farmers for their product. But now, Wisconsin lawmakers say Eastern and Southern states are milking the byzantine system for all it’s worth.

Milk producers in Texas, for example, have won a large share of the Chicago market, leaving nearby Wisconsin farmers out in the cold — and putting to rest the idea that Texas needs a special subsidy to produce enough milk for local needs. High production in high-price states, such as Vermont with its booming cheese industry, has bottomed out milk prices in Wisconsin.

If the milk pricing system were scrapped completely and left to the whim of the free market, prices would rise 47 cents per hundredweight in the Upper Midwest, according to University of Wisconsin scientist Tom Cox. That would put an extra $7,755 a year in the pocket of a farmer with a 100-cow herd. If fluid-bound and cheese-bound milk were priced at the same level, Upper Midwest farm prices would rise almost a dollar per hundredweight. All of that would have kept Dave Meister in business — that is, if his children hadn’t recently left the farm.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...rificial-cows/

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4705622

Italy won't ratify EU free-trade deal with Canada, says new farm minister

Is JT saying something we don't know about?

He reportedly told the journalist: “I’m sorry. If I had known you were reporting for a national paper, I never would have been so forward.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6484112/canadas-pin-up-pm-justin-trudeau-was-accused-of-groping-a-woman-at-a-music-festival-two-decades-ago/

Apple doesn't fall far from the tree...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Trudeau and his team are handling this trade debacle with the US the best way they know how. Trump is un predictable, a lose cannon meddling into everything and anything, that rubs him the wrong way. His Tweeting episodes are tantamount to child like behavior. Canada does not have a lot of trade clout to work with when it comes to the US. So Trump is becoming a bully. In this economic climate of world trade uncertainty, I can read the writing on the wall: Trump and Putin are out for world financial domination, controlling all markets, splitting up the spoils of war to their own ends. If the Conservatives were in power here in Canada I'm quite sure, they'd have sold the farm by now. Canada protects farmers through the supply management system, insures they have a wage to work with. Trump does the same thing with $Billions in diary subsidies. Its a bit like calling the pot the kettle black. Like Doug Ford, I'm willing to cut Justin some slack.

Yeah, Trudeau et. al are basically just ignoring Trump and his antics which is smart since Trump's:

1. His own worst enemy
    2. Wishy-washy (he changes his mind and alliance on a weekly basis).

If we had a trade war with the US, it'd be nearly suicidal but luckily for us. But US has annoyed it's top 3 trading partners and doesn't look like he's going to be making any friends soon.

At this point, even if diary was negotiable, it's completely off the tables now. Firstly, we don't want to be more dependant on the US. Secondly, we know Trump/American's aren't going to respect us for it (give them an inch, they're going to take it a mile).

I was shopping this weekend and found boycotting US products is extremely hard (even if you are willing to pay more). But I refuse to travelling to the US (just turned down a friend on a trip there).

I want French cheese and French butter!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^ I'm on my way to work, but in complete agreement with you.

^ I'll even take BC wine at this stage. Sorry Napa (not)

They are tasty, but maybe not so healthy.

H.L., you missed the big news today:

Ethics watchdog clears Bill Morneau in pension bill fallout

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/morneau-pension-bill-cleared-1.4710721

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    They are tasty, but maybe not so healthy.

H.L., you missed the big news today:

Ethics watchdog clears Bill Morneau in pension bill fallout

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mor...ared-1.4710721
    No, I saw that. I still think he's a slime ball, but with umm, good ethics!
    French butter is very healthy!

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4693195

I'll visit Yann the next time were in cowtown...

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post

282 Farms
    41,900 cows
    20,500 Heifers

Those are the Manitoba numbers.

Alberta in 2017 had:

523 dairy farms
    79,500 cows
    38,700 heifers

That's about 150 milk cows per dairy farm on average. When my Dad went full-time into dairying in the mid-1960s a farm was considered large if it milked 30 or more cows.
    I wonder if that average is meaningful. What’s the median?

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425