Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526
Results 2,501 to 2,512 of 2512

Thread: Liberals And Trudeau - Performance Review!

I'd rather C2E than work!

I don't agree with what some of Harper said, but some of it I did..that's jmho.
    Last edited by H.L.; Yesterday at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I don't agree with some ofof Harper said, but some of it I did..thats jmho.
    I'm not sure if he was just upset his secret White House meeting was uncovered or he is still upset about the last election's result. Being a former political leader allows one to become a statesman or a crumudgeon. Pick the first one Mr. Harper.

He previously said that Canada should basically capitulate and give Trump everything he wanted from NAFTA.

Stephen Harper’s NAFTA memo shows how little the former PM has changed
    Paul Wells pokes holes in Harper’s flawed, albeit very familiar NAFTA memo attacking the Trudeau government for its approach to Donald Trump

On to the former prime minister’s argument. First, as Canadian Press reporter Alex Panetta reports, Harper “suggests Canada has been too quick in rejecting American proposals as a ‘red line,’ or ‘poison pill.’ He said such knee-jerk refusals are only a viable strategy if you truly believe Trump cannot cancel NAFTA — an assessment Harper does not share.” Panetta quotes some trademark weary-eyed realism from the former PM: “Canada’s government needs to get its head around this reality: it does not matter whether current American proposals are worse than what we have now. What matters in evaluating them is whether it is worth having a trade agreement with the Americans or not.”

That’s true! A substantially degraded deal could, conceivably, indeed be better than none. But it’s odd to suggest the Trudeau government imagines NAFTA is un-killable. They talk about Trump cancelling it all the time. Some of the “poison pills” Chrystia Freeland has identified do look eminently survivable: one of them is U.S. demands for a relaxing of supply management for dairy and poultry products, a sacred overpriced cow of Canadian agriculture that nobody will miss five years after some brave government finally gives it the heave-ho. But you know who defended supply management tooth and nail during the Canada-EU and TPP trade rounds? Stephen Harper is who.

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ott...m-has-changed/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    I don't agree with some of Harper said, but some of it I did..thats jmho.
    I'm not sure if he was just upset his secret White House meeting was uncovered or he is still upset about the last election's result. Being a former political leader allows one to become a statesman or a crumudgeon. Pick the first one Mr. Harper.
    I don't think he gives a damn,he's been very busy since he left office. Other PMs have had plenty to say after they have left, like old man Chretien, why can't PM Harper. The truth bites ..lol

I think he and former liberal Martha Hall Findley know the lobbyist for dairy in Quebec have JT by the gonads, they give that party a lot of money!!!

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/cont...ystem-yes.html
    Last edited by H.L.; Yesterday at 10:47 AM.

Default Dairy farmers made a difference in Scheer’s surprise win over Bernier

https://www.realagriculture.com/2017...-over-bernier/

looks like the milk milk marketing board have all the politicians by the short and curlies in total contrast to every economist considered opinion. They are a very effective lobbying group like the American special interest groups which should be reason enough to abolish it.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    https://www.realagriculture.com/2017...-over-bernier/

looks like the milk milk marketing board have all the politicians by the short and curlies in total contrast to every economist considered opinion. They are a very effective lobbying group like the American special interest groups which should be reason enough to abolish it.

Exactly!!

So, we get rid of the marketing boards, open the borders and the Americans can dump all their surplus milk into Canada in the blink of an eye. Meanwhile they'll continue their farm subsidy programs.

Wisconsin alone produces more milk than all of Canada.

The previous 2507 posts show beyond all doubt that the Conservative base is a disgusting piece of goods, morally and politically.

And then you wonder why you lost power.

Here's a hint: butcher your inner Conservative. Or, if you can't, remain in your impotent little quisling hole out of power. God gives you that option also.
    Last edited by AShetsen; Yesterday at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    So, we get rid of the marketing boards, open the borders and the Americans can dump all their surplus milk into Canada in the blink of an eye. Meanwhile they'll continue their farm subsidy programs.

Protectionism is the bane of our economic prosperity. We protect ourselves for others at the same time as we protect others from us. You don’t know that the Americans will flood the market but on the chance that may happen the consumers are paying a very high price to allay your fears.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

American are dumping milk because the farmers are producing too much but the government keeps subsidizing it.

Get Trump to agree to give up all dairy subsidies and we'll talk.

U.S. dairy subsidies equal 73 percent of producer returns, says new report

Support, in its various forms, equaled 73 percent of U.S. dairy farmers’ market returns in 2015, according to a report published by a Canadian trade consulting firm on Thursday.

The 588-page study by Grey, Clark, Shih and Associates — commissioned by Dairy Farmers of Canada (DFC) — says the American government contributed around $22.2 billion in direct and indirect subsidies to the dairy sector in 2015.

Lead author Peter Clark shared the numbers at DFC’s annual policy conference in Ottawa this week.

“The support is completely ignored,” he said. “When it comes to farm support, the U.S. has the deepest pockets; deeper even than the European Union. Our study provides detail nationally, and on a state basis, the losses to U.S. dairy farmers. USDA data reveals that for more than a decade, U.S. farm gate prices for milk fail to cover costs of production.”

Based solely on the USDA’s national average farm-gate price and national average costs of production, Clark says American dairy farmers lost money every year from 2005 to 2016.

The report figures support granted to U.S. dairy farmers in 2015 represented approximately C$0.35 per litre — almost three-quarters of producers’ revenue.

https://www.realagriculture.com/2018...ys-new-report/
    And

AMERICA’S DAIRY FARMERS DUMP 43 MILLION GALLONS OF EXCESS MILK

America’s dairy farmers are crying over spilled milk — the 43 million gallons of it they have dumped in fields and elsewhere over the first eight months of the year as the US deals with a massive milk glut.

It’s the most discarded milk in at least 16 years, according to a report on Wednesday.

The reason for the spilled milk is that the glut has cut the price of milk 22 percent since spring, to $16.39 per hundred pounds on Wednesday.

At that price, some farmers can’t afford to truck the milk to market, according to the Wall Street Journal, which first reported on the sharp increase in discarded milk.

The glut is the result of a price spike in 2014, which persuaded farmers to bring more dairy cows on line, the Journal reported.

Milk cows have increased by 40,000 this year, and each one is producing 1.4 percent more milk than a year ago, according to the US Dept. of Agriculture.

https://regenerationvermont.org/amer...f-excess-milk/
    Would you be as willing to give up all the government subsidies to the oil industry as well, including the Northern Gateway pipeline?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post

Protectionism is the bane of our economic prosperity. We protect ourselves for others at the same time as we protect others from us. You don’t know that the Americans will flood the market but on the chance that may happen the consumers are paying a very high price to allay your fears.
    A very high price, people near the border, shop there for a reason..

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Actually, there are more dairy cows in the state of Wisconsin then Canada and they produce way more milk then we do because of the Americans use rbst, which might be responsible for the cause of more American milk. We don't allow hormones in our dairy.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/sarah-...b_8381946.html

Ken is exactly right as well about the American subsidies. And if Trump wants to tamper with our auto industry maybe we ought to team up with our other trading partners and deny America their badly needed uranium.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526