Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CFR Dead. Replaced with a hockey and bull riding event.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Default CFR Dead. Replaced with a hockey and bull riding event.

Tired of being taken advantage of .

I'm totally shocked that the city pulled the bid out in favour of a new event that would funnel a greater percentage of the money (and control) to Katz & OEG.

Totally.

Shocked.

/sarcasm
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Their demands were too great, simple as that.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

Bob Nicholson did say they would leave the door open for negotiations but of course it would be on their terms.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I would venture to say that could be said of both sides.

C2E SME

Edmonton has done enough for the CFR.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Instead a ten day, western themed festival is being planned by the Oilers Entertainment Group, which will mirror the ten days of Farm Fair.

“Farm Fair is actually the thing that we really need to protect,” Iveson told reporters. “It drives huge traffic here,” he said pointing to $20 million in economic activity for the city.

Bob Nicholson confirmed that OEG has an agreement with the Professional Bull Riders Association and International Management Group in New York for a three day event, that he sees happening on the second weekend of Farm Fair.
    Fitting bull riding at one end of the arena, and a stage for the concert at the other end is part of the vision. “We can see people being right on the dirt and having different types of parties going on with the cowboys involved,” Nicholson said. “Those are the details that IMG have done before. We’re going to work through all of those various options with them”
    http://www.630ched.com/2016/05/05/en...sc_ref=twitter

Bring on Rewind !

C2E Continued Contributor

soooooo..... the city isn't going to smell like cowshit for a week in the summer anymore?? niiiiice

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DTrobotnik View Post
    soooooo..... the city isn't going to smell like cowshit for a week in the summer anymore?? niiiiice
    Uhhhh, they are hosting a 10 day festival which coincides with Farm Fair and involves a 3 day PBR rodeo.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I'm totally shocked that the city pulled the bid out in favour of a new event that would funnel a greater percentage of the money (and control) to Katz & OEG.

Totally.

Shocked.

/sarcasm
    The CPRA tried to play hardball with the wrong guy. Or insert a poker bluffing analogy instead. In any case, they lost, and lost badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Uhhhh, they are hosting a 10 day festival which coincides with Farm Fair and involves a 3 day PBR rodeo.
    And for 4 decades CFR has been in November....but don't let silly things like facts cloud your judgment...
    Excellence is a continual Journey up a staircase where there is NO top step...

C2E Posting Power

To add perspective on this, Calgary declined to bid on the CFR too. According to Dan Barnes in the Journal, the economics just aren't there.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/da...n-finals-rodeo

Totally.

Shocked.

/sarcasm
    You're obsessed with this concept that the City should must desperately work against OEG and completely blind to the fact that they can both win, and are both winning.

You've pushed yourself so far out on your limb now that you've become a rodeo supporter, you should realise.

Just admit it, the arena was the best thing Edmonton has done for itself since the Low Level Bridge.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    'CFR Dead. Replaced with a hockey and bull riding event.'..Sounds intriguing. A redneck version of Polo presumably?

http://www.runsweet.com/mediac/400_0/media/polo.jpg
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
    To add perspective on this, Calgary declined to bid on the CFR too. According to Dan Barnes in the Journal, the economics just aren't there.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/da...n-finals-rodeo
    At this point, the only city that may bid is Saskatoon, and they're not sounding too optimistic either. This isn't an OEG/Northlands/CoE problem. This is a CPRA problem. They figured that they could put a gun to the head of OEG and the COE, soon found out it wasn't loaded, and realized that OEG was holding a bazooka.

Analogies are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    You're obsessed with this concept that the City should must desperately work against OEG and completely blind to the fact that they can both win, and are both winning.

You've pushed yourself so far out on your limb now that you've become a rodeo supporter, you should realise.

Just admit it, the arena was the best thing Edmonton has done for itself since the Low Level Bridge.
    Nope. I'm not trying to push the city administration one way or another. I just note that they've been extremely accommodating to Katz long before the one-sided arena deal was done.

A downtown arena will be an asset to the city. I've never ever disputed that. I've always disagreed with the backroom-negotiated, one-sided funding deal. You always seem to conflate the issues. Maybe your Anti-Lougheed Tinfoil Hat is too tight?

Arena = Good
    Deal = Bad
    JayBee = Broken & warped record.

Ugh. I feel so dirty when I bother to respond to your terrible rhetoric.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KenL2 View Post
    And for 4 decades CFR has been in November....but don't let silly things like facts cloud your judgment...
    I hope you meant to respond to DTrobotnik and not me.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post

Nope. I'm not trying to push the city administration one way or another. I just note that they've been extremely accommodating to Katz long before the one-sided arena deal was done.

A downtown arena will be an asset to the city. I've never ever disputed that. I've always disagreed with the backroom-negotiated, one-sided funding deal. You always seem to conflate the issues. Maybe your Anti-Lougheed Tinfoil Hat is too tight?

Arena = Good
    Deal = Bad
    JayBee = Broken & warped record.

Ugh. I feel so dirty when I bother to respond to your terrible rhetoric.
    No you freaking genius, when the "deal" is what has singlehandedly sparked the rennaisance that we're enjoying even as the province collapses around us, you do not need to be so squeakfarty about the fricken beer sales revenues.

For the sake of reason, just look for ten ******* seconds at the big picture.

Noodle sounds like Jaybee but with different causes

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I thought we were pals, Matt.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

only certain corners downtown and in the river valley around the funicular construction...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    They saw the pork that groups such as Olympics and FIFA were getting and decided now would be a good time to jack the rates.

This will hurt their organization more than it hurts us.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by KenL2 View Post
    I hope you meant to respond to DTrobotnik and not me.
    yeah whoops on my part ...
    Excellence is a continual Journey up a staircase where there is NO top step...

It's too bad there is not a coliseum in the region outside the Edmonton city limits and Darryl Katz jurisdiction.

Today was the deadline for bids.
    I would laugh if there were no takers.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

What happens if no bidders? No CFR for 2017? Do they stage it themselves on a smaller scale? I disliked how CPRA went about handing this whole business but it feels like Katz and his pals have used this as an opportunity to shut the whole thing down just to create their own event. Maybe I am wrong, but the whole thing on both sides feels off.

I don't understand this Katz bashing. CFR clearly wanted to test the market outside of Edmonton. Unfortunately for them there was no other clearly a huge miscalculation on there part nothing to do with Katz.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E SME

I wonder too what the CPRA plans to do if they didn't get any bids for the event. Would they then be brave enough to come to the city with a request to take on the event?
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    I don't understand this Katz bashing. CFR clearly wanted to test the market outside of Edmonton. Unfortunately for them there was no other clearly a huge miscalculation on there part nothing to do with Katz.
    When Katz intimated he would 'test the market' it was fairly obvious the city would cave - wonder if the cowpokes will be so lucky?
    "The only really positive thing one could say about Vancouver is, it’s not the rest of Canada." Oink (britishexpats.com)

The articles, should anyone actually read them, clearly say that CFR insiders acknowledged that the demands from CFR were much higher than before, that OHG made a generous bid that was shot down, and some insiders think their colleagues were foolish to pass it up hoping for something even better.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    What happens if no bidders? No CFR for 2017? Do they stage it themselves on a smaller scale? I disliked how CPRA went about handing this whole business but it feels like Katz and his pals have used this as an opportunity to shut the whole thing down just to create their own event. Maybe I am wrong, but the whole thing on both sides feels off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    I wonder too what the CPRA plans to do if they didn't get any bids for the event. Would they then be brave enough to come to the city with a request to take on the event?
    Well first we see what Saskatoon put together. (Although we know fitting 20,000 fans into 2,000 hotel rooms is going to be a tricky one. Attracting 20,000 interested monied people without Farmfair might be harder than it looks as well.)

But if they don't even get a single bid? Again, if it were my org, heads would roll, then account the loss in bargaining power as "depreciation" and send better adjusted people to find a way that works collaboratively with CoE, OEG, and Northlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I thought we were pals, Matt.

hugs. I'm not here to make friends, sometimes our views will align, other times.. not so much. I still respect your right to have an opinion on things... (see signature)

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    only certain corners downtown and in the river valley around the funicular construction...
    They are redirecting the cattle to instead provide the HP to build the funicular in a sustainable manner? That's cool, moving forward into the future

C2E SME

No disrespect to Saskatoon, but hotel rooms are even tougher to come by there.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    It's too bad there is not a coliseum in the region outside the Edmonton city limits and Darryl Katz jurisdiction.
    Even if there was Calgary, Saskatoon also turned them down, they probably wanted way too much and the city called their bluff.

I'm guessing the CPRA will be having a meeting very soon to reconsider their options and perhaps counteroffer something more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    'CFR Dead. Replaced with a hockey and bull riding event.'..Sounds intriguing. A redneck version of Polo presumably?

No, not redreck at all...we're jusy not pretentious, stuck up, snotty arses. It's not Polo.

Throwback Saturday:
    March 1, 2016
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    CPRA DECLINES LATEST CFR PROPOSAL
    The Canadian Professional Rodeo Association (CPRA) has declined the latest Canadian
    Finals Rodeo (CFR) proposal put forward by the Oilers Entertainment Group (OEG) and
    the City of Edmonton.

The CPRA, with the approval of the CFR Negotiating Committee – which consists of a
    team of senior business professionals – and the CPRA Board of Directors, is now seeking
    all options available to the Association for the best interest of the fans, sponsors and
    members.
    The CPRA’s original intention was to go through the request for proposal process with
    several cities that were interested in hosting CFR 2017. Out of respect to the coming 43-
    year history in Edmonton, in October, 2015 the CPRA offered OEG and the City of
    Edmonton a 60-day grace period to submit a new proposal for CFR. That grace period
    was honored and then extended well beyond the 60 days in an attempt to come to a
    mutual agreement.
    Five months later, OEG and the City of Edmonton’s proposal was unanimously voted
    down
    by the CPRA Board of Directors last week after careful consideration.
    CPRA
    President, Murray Milan, says this decision was a very difficult one for the Association to
    make, but the board is unified in their decision.
    CPRA General Manager and part of the CFR Negotiating Committee, Dan Eddy,
    explains just whom they are making this decision for
    . “From our perspective, this is about
    our members, fans and sponsors of the Canadian Professional Rodeo Association. After
    several months of back and forth proposals, we felt that the CPRA, OEG and the City of
    Edmonton all made concessions in an attempt to come to an agreement on the proposal.
    However, our focus is doing what is best for those members, fans and sponsors that
    expect us to pursue the best possible opportunities for the sport they love,” said Eddy.

In light of this decision, the CPRA has thrown the chute gate open and the Board of
    Directors has now authorized the CPRA Negotiating Committee to pursue the
    opportunities that have been presented. Request for proposal documents will now be to
    sent to all cities that have shown interest in hosting the event, including the city of
    Edmonton
    w
    ho the CPRA will continue to work with to ensure the 2016 CFR strives to
    be the best finals in it’s 43-year history.
    Stay tuned for more information.
    For inquiries please email:
    [email protected]
    Source

Cowboys still looking for new Canadian Finals Rodeo deal with Edmonton

The Canadian Professional Rodeo Association apparently hasn’t heard the one about beating a dead horse.
    Sources confirmed that CPRA general manager Dan Eddy contacted Oilers Entertainment Group CEO Bob Nicholson earlier this week, hoping to get the OEG’s original offer to host the Canadian Finals Rodeo in 2017 and beyond back on the table. The CPRA rejected that offer March 1 and the City of Edmonton declined to submit a new bid by the May 5 deadline.
    Two sources said Eddy’s request was denied by Nicholson, who had made it clear publicly that the rejected offer was the last his organization would make.
    Nicholson would not divulge many details of his conversation.
    “I had a discussion with the CPRA, some board members and Dan,” Nicholson said Wednesday. “I told them we’re in discussions with another group (Professional Bull Riders) and there is really no need for us to have discussions at this time.
    “But we’re not closing the door on rodeo.”
    The CPRA would not specifically address the conversation between Eddy and Nicholson.
    “We are still in discussions with all opportunities before us and bound by negotiation confidentiality, but I can tell you that the door has always been open for dialogue with all interested parties,” CPRA director of marketing Katy Lucas said in an email.
    The OEG is focused on developing its new partnership with IMG, which owns PBR. Beginning in 2017, a PBR event will be at the centre of a 10-day western lifestyle festival in Edmonton, to be held in early November in support of Farmfair International, an agricultural trade show and sale at Northlands.
    OEG officials are heading to Las Vegas this weekend to observe how the PBR event there is incorporated into Helldorado Days, a western-themed festival that includes entertainment, a parade, food fairs and a Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association rodeo.
    Could the OEG incorporate a CPRA rodeo into its festival?
    “Too premature. We’re not closing the door on rodeo, but our focus is on the PBR,” said Nicholson.
    Link:
    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/co...-with-edmonton
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Perhaps CFR won't leave after all, would be nice if we could get the bull riders too. Stagger them about 6 months apart.

Rodeo association's general manager, Dan Eddy, suspended with pay
    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ro...-eddy-with-pay

Dan Eddy, general manager of the Canadian Professional Rodeo Association, has been suspended with pay by the organization, pending an investigation of complaints made against him by office staff.

Former CPRA director Terry Cooke, who resigned Friday, said Eddy was suspended after the organization received complaint letters from about half a dozen CPRA employees. The suspension was made public on Saturday during the association’s annual general meeting in Airdrie, where the association office is also located. Cooke attended that meeting.

Eddy was not at the meeting and did not immediately respond to a text request for comment.

The specific nature of the complaints is not known.

Cooke said an outside human relations firm will conduct an investigation of the complaints.

Eddy and his negotiating team has so far failed to find a home for the Canadian Finals Rodeo, which has been held in Edmonton since 1974. The 2016 CFR takes place in early November at what will by then be known as Northlands Coliseum. The contract with Northlands expires after that event.

However, Cooke said the meeting was told that the CPRA is negotiating with Northlands over a possible one-year extension of that contract for 2017. But that’s not exactly accurate.

Northlands spokesperson Cathy Kiss said Saturday that the CPRA reached out to them last week but Northlands stands in partnership with the city, which decided not to submit a bid for the CFR under the current terms of the request for proposal. The deadline for those submissions passed May 5.
    Cooke said the meeting was also told that the CPRA is still negotiating with Saskatoon and the Oilers Entertainment Group. Again, that’s not exactly accurate.
    The CPRA is proving themselves to be a clown car organization.

I can't feel too smug to be honest. Judging purely on what I've read, I can't help but think that this organization has been hampered by the poor decision making of (likely) a few people in key positions. I feel a bit sorry for those employees and stakeholders who could be affected by this.

Quote Originally Posted by River Valley Green View Post
    I can't feel too smug to be honest. Judging purely on what I've read, I can't help but think that this organization has been hampered by the poor decision making of (likely) a few people in key positions. I feel a bit sorry for those employees and stakeholders who could be affected by this.
    That's exactly what it sounds like. They had a good thing going and likely a few geniuses thought they could milk it for more than it was worth.

(I'm laughing at the "genius(es)", not the victims.)

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post

No, not redreck at all...we're jusy not pretentious, stuck up, snotty arses. It's not Polo.
    See the thing is... I was kinda.... Oh, never mind.

I get your drift Expat. Riding atop a bull, hockey stick in hand, pucks all over. Bad joke. lol

I would definitely go to see that sport if it came to Edmonton.

Would they ride the bulls on ice?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

That would be fun.

Im surprised Calgary turned this down. They've persued this event for ages.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Or at least the CPRA would like you to believe they have.

CFR's RFP requirements are scaring bidders away.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by ctzn-Ed View Post
    Im surprised Calgary turned this down. They've persued this event for ages.
    Everybody turned it down. Every. Single. City. By all appearances, a bunch of cowboys thought they could beat a guy at the negotiating table that has built a massive empire one deal at a time. It's comical.

Your totally right about it being comical...

Mayor Don Iveson said Edmonton city council came to the same conclusion and a look at the request for proposal explains why. The CPRA claims all revenue from tickets, advertising and sponsorship and any profits realized by the event are the “sole property of the CPRA.”

No partnership. And no takers.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/da...-where-and-why

It will end up in Calgary. It will be extremely successful. Edmonton will cry forever how we lose everything to Calgary.

^ 0.003%

This isn't your dad's Stampede we're talking, this is the one that had even already ditched horse racing in 2008. And it's Nenshi's Calgary to boot. As soon as CPRA comes to its senses and finds its jawbone (that it punched off itself), they will see however they run their models, all of them still point to Edmonton.
    • Coincident Farmfair vs. coincident nothing anywhere
    • Best and second best facillities both
    • Most visitable city in November (WEM and likely ICE District (as of 2019) the two leading indoor attractions in Western Canada, probably the most otherwise empty hotel rooms too.)
    • 42 years of patterns entrenched in the sport's culture

Not that I don't relish sounding like a broken record, but these are just the indisputable concrete facts. Rodeo and fan logistics of this scale is not a simple thing to pull off.

I agree, but then their is Katz. I don't think Darryl is a rodeo fan. I would like to see the coliseum stay as is, save us a lot of money, and utilize it for the rodeo and many other events. Too bad those papers were signed giving Katz all the power and a death notice to the coliseum. Just my opinion.

I agree, but then their is Katz. I don't think Darryl is a rodeo fan. I would like to see the coliseum stay as is, save us a lot of money, and utilize it for the rodeo and many other events. Too bad those papers were signed giving Katz all the power and a death notice to the coliseum. Just my opinion.
    A negotiating committee headed by Dan Eddy and a board advised by Dan Eddy are the ones that snubbed the most generous offer in 42 years, (by a very very large degree) from Katz/OEG, the City, and Northlands.

This thundering flop has nothing to do with the conversion of the Coliseum or OEG/Katz.

Nothing.

Like it or not, there is one guy whose name keeps popping up here that you need to look into. And it aint Daryl Katz.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

And yet he is having a 10 day western festival with 3 days of bull riding in the building. Sounds like you have an agenda.....

I'm pretty sure Darryl likes money whether it comes from hockey, horses, rent, pharmaceuticals, rockstars, or anything else.

The anti-Katz agenda is tired and ran out of gas a long time ago. Nobody has to love him, but all they've done is pour money and risk into this city.

With the success he has brought to the Oilers I wonder if he's a hockey fan.

Dan Barnes has the following update in The Journal.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/da...-where-and-why

What a mook.

lat already linked that article in this thread yesterday.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 18-05-2016 at 11:43 AM.

It's official: Canadian Finals Rodeo riding off to Saskatoon next year

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...year-1.3689374

We put forward a very good offer by the sounds of it... a lose for sure, but perhaps a new opportunity.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Bad for the CFR in my opinion, hopefully the OEG can make the PBR events into something on par or better than what we had in the CFR.

Called it in February, before the CPRA even snubbed OEG:

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee
    Maybe 'defender of the west' Brad Wall is going to pork barrel one for his supporters? 'Good and Holy Province defeats Evil Heathen Province. Proves once and for all that brainless democracy is dangerous!'
    Quote Originally Posted by JayBee
    ^ as I said, the only thing I can even imagine is Brad Wall deus ex machina.
    From this now-closed thread.
    Last edited by JayBee; 21-07-2016 at 03:14 PM.

C2E SME

I think the CFR did well in Edmonton, but I sensed that they would not be happy with the Rogers Place location. Time to turn the page.

^ nothing to do with the location of Rogers Place. 100% moahunterish back-slapping free tax money for our back-slapping friends.

I'm curious to know how good the Saskatoon deal was vs. OEG. I wouldn't be surprised if CFR bit the hand that fed them and ended up with a far worse deal. Even if the deal is good, they're still battling uphill as Edmonton has been the default major rodeo on the fall, and there's a rodeo in town. OEG is going to go all out to make this thing a major attraction.

Sounds like they got less money but maybe more input on running the event. Overall I think CPRA screwed up and will regret it. OEG will put on a good show and better than anything CPRA will ever see.

I think Saskatoon will do a heck of a job with this and are elated to have it. Saskatchewan is rodeo country big time and CFR is a heck of an economic boon. They have a nice arena with over 15,000 seats. Every hotel room in town will be taken and businesses very busy with the CFR in town. Edmontons loss, but I think the feeling was that Edmonton was too good for the CFR with the fancy new arena and all. No more Indy, no more CFR, no more Klondike Days, no more Trappers, Muk Luk Mardigras, plus all the other things we lost to Calgary and elsewhere. At least we still have the Oilers and the arena, until DK loses interest in hockey and the Oilers and the Oil Kings are sold down the pipeline to Texas. He has mentioned he wants to concentrate on real estate development. At least the Eskies are community owned. Like the Green Bay Packers they will always be around.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 22-07-2016 at 07:21 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wow are you negative, Klondike Days is still here with K-Days and the CFR left due to their greed (the PBR will be good for the city too). As for DK losing interest in the Oilers, why would he sign a deal to keep the Oilers in town for 35 years, spend all his money and time fighting for a new arena and spend billions of dollars on the ICE District?

Gunter: Saskatoon's CFR win over Edmonton is rodeo's loss

lorne gunter BY LORNE GUNTER , EDMONTON SUN

Congratulations to Saskatoon on landing the Canadian Finals Rodeo (CFR) for three years beginning November 2017.

Anyone who has ever driven along Highway 11 between Saskatoon and Regina on the day of a Roughriders home game has witnesses how passionate our neighbours are about sports. They will travel hours from all over their province just to put hollowed out watermelons on their noggins and scream their throats raw at Mosaic Stadium.

Then they hop back in their cars and pickups and drive hours back home.

So nothing I say beyond should be interpreted in anyway to be a dig at Saskatoon or Saskatchewan as the new CFR hosts. They’ll do a bang-up job.

On the other hand, you have to give your head a shake at the Canadian Professional Rodeo Association’s decision to move the event from Edmonton after 43 years to a city one-quarter our size.

Saskatoon is a sort of scale model of Edmonton.

It is a beautiful parkland city with a fabulous river valley and a major university campus perched on the high banks overlooking downtown. It has strong cultural and arts communities, and a long history tied to the fur trade, First Nations, agriculture and resource extraction.

But the fact remains, the Edmonton region has a population of 1.3 million while Saskatoon has just 300,000.

In rejecting the bid by the city of Edmonton and Oilers Entertainment Group this spring to keep the CFR here another 10 years, the CPRA huffed one of its goals was to “grow our sport,” a task they had found “somewhat limited in Edmonton.”

Maybe that was true, but I fail to see how that goal is brought closer in a city and province that are each one-quarter the size of Edmonton and Alberta.

The CPRA scoffed at the corporate sponsorship opportunities here, at the prices that could be charged for tickets and executive boxes, and at the television and advertising revenues available in Edmonton.
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/07/2...is-rodeos-loss

I honestly think that the CFR backed itself into a corner and as a last resort had to pick Saskatoon as no one else wanted it. Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary and Vancouver all said no thanks, pretty telling if you ask me.

Months of exclusive negotiations between the CPRA and the Oilers Entertainment Group produced some hard feelings that were compounded once the OEG’s final offer was rejected March 1 by the CPRA, which then put out the RFP and invited the OEG to respond along with other interested parties. When the OEG declined, and it became obvious that neither Calgary nor Winnipeg was going to bid either, the CPRA asked the OEG if they could revisit the final offer.

That wasn’t going to happen, and here’s why. Rogers Place.

More precisely, the attraction of Rogers Place to a global company like International Management Group. IMG is a major player in the entertainment business, with reach into concerts, golf, tennis, Professional Bull Riders, and most recently, the Ultimate Fighting Championship, which it just bought for $4 billion US.

An IMG executive was on the phone to members of OEG the day after the CPRA rejected OEG’s final offer. That executive wanted to talk about a partnership and a PBR event in Edmonton. But not just a PBR event. As talks continued, the concept grew to incorporate a western lifestyle-themed festival that includes music and food. There will be an Oilers home game against the Calgary Flames, too. And the downtown events will help support the Farm Fair International agriculture show on the Northlands grounds.

The PBR announcement will come in early August, and should involve two events, a rather modest one on the newly announced Monster Energy PBR Canadian Tour and another that should fit seamlessly into the PBR’s top echelon. And that’s just the beginning of OEG’s partnership with IMG. There is even bigger news coming for UFC fans here.

“We have had very positive conversations about bringing (a UFC) event to Rogers Place in the near future,” OEG spokesman Tim Shipton said in an email on Thursday afternoon.

That doesn’t happen without the lure of Rogers Place and a partnership with IMG. And if that had to be the trade, CFR for PBR and UFC, I dare say many Edmontonians would take that deal.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...skatoon-sunset
    Last edited by Hilman; 22-07-2016 at 09:08 AM.

I'm just POed that we lost the CFR. Sour grapes. As for DK he recently sold off the family business his dad built up all those years. Just like that gone for money. If someone had a big enough cheque......you never know.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 22-07-2016 at 10:14 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I don't see it, DK has built a multi billion empire by being smart, ruthless and knowing where the money is. Him divesting his pharmaceutical business for sports, entertainment and real estate is good for him, the city and the Oilers imho.

Losing the CFR isn't good (obviously) but gaining the PBR, it's spin off events in conjunction with Farm Fair and hopefully adding an annual UFC event is greater than what we have now. I have faith in what OEG and IMG are cooking up, time will tell but I think none of us know what Roger's Place and the ICE District have up their sleeves or what we have in store.

Me thinks what we are used to isn't going to be the new normal going forward whether it's events, facilities, food, etc.
    Last edited by Hilman; 22-07-2016 at 10:13 AM.

^And who knows what the future holds, the Rodeo might return to Edmonton, depending on how it does elsewhere. If Saskatoon pulls if off though, good for them, in some respects it might be a nice thing for a smaller city, which might get a bit more behind it.

OK, I'm overreacting. Saskatoon seems like a good fit for the CFR tho. I think it will do great there. They will embrace it like Edmonton couldn't anymore. It's like Edmonton has outgrown it or something? I wonder if Calgary will ever outgrow the Stampede Rodeo and Chuckwagon Races. Maybe they will move to Balzac.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 22-07-2016 at 07:12 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I like your passion

I'm just POed that we lost the CFR. Sour grapes. As for DK he recently sold off the family business his dad built up all those years. Just like that gone for money. If someone had a big enough cheque......you never know.
    He's a businesman. He did what he wanted with Rexall and sold it off. Now he's doing it with OEG, land development, etc. What's your passion? His appears to be building empires for fun. Somehow I doubt he cares that much about the buck at the end of the line - he has all the money he could want.

You really should check your facts before slamming someone.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryl_Katz
    After school, he worked for a time at the law firm, Shoctor, Mousseau and Starkman,[4] and then started his own practice focusing on corporate and franchise law.[5] In 1991, in a partnership with his father, Katz paid $300,000 for the Canadian rights to the U.S.-based Medicine Shoppe drugstore franchise which had over 1,000 stores in the USA.[5] In 1992, they opened the first Medicine Shoppe store [5] and Katz founded the Katz Group of Companies which was to become the holding company for the group. In 1996, Katz purchased the storied but fading Rexall drugstore chain in Canada which at the time, only consisted of several dozen stores.[5] The business grew and by 1998, the Katz Group consisted of 80 Rexall stores, 30 Medicine Shoppe outlets, and a few smaller independent retailers.[5] In 1997, he purchased the Ontario-based, 143-store Pharma Plus drug store chain from the supermarket operator Oshawa Group for $100 million.[5]

His Dad started Value Drug Mart in the seventies and everything grew from there is my understanding, but whatever, they grew the pharmaceutical business together. A family business. If you think a billionaire wouldn't sell for the right price I think you may be wrong. They live for money. Anyway he's obviously a good buddy of yours so I will shut up. Lol

I like the guy myself, just making conversation. Just didn't like the way he got rid of the Trappers then scared off the CFR

Got rid of the Trappers?

^He is living in a delusional world full of his own biases.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I like the guy myself, just making conversation. Just didn't like the way he got rid of the Trappers then scared off the CFR
    The Trappers were owned by the Eskimos and were sold to Nolan Ryan. Katz stopped doing the Capital games as the league lost all it's Canadian teams and the cost to travel to the remaining teams including Maui and Mexico was too costly.

Oh ya. The Capitals formerly the Cracker Cats. Sorry. Must have had one too many rum and cokes.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 22-07-2016 at 09:16 PM.

This was mismanagement by CPRA, glad-handing free tax money from Brad "yer taxes r mah taxes" Wall, and a new partnership with a more stable partner (IMG).

In no way is this Katz's fault, and yes, for the infintieth time, the arena was an excellent joint venture, initiated by the Downtown boosters 4 years before Katz even owned the team.

And yes, there is enough parking for everyone.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Dan Barnes: GM fired, directors resign, Canadian Professional Rodeo Association in turmoil

DAN BARNES, EDMONTON JOURNAL
    More from Dan Barnes, Edmonton Journal

There has been a massive shakeup of the dysfunctional Canadian Professional Rodeo Association.

President Murry Milan resigned on July 17, the final day of the Calgary Stampede. Nine days later, the other cowboy boot dropped.

General manager Dan Eddy, hired in February 2015, was fired Tuesday night at a meeting of CPRA directors in Airdrie. The vote was reportedly 6-5 in favour of Eddy’s termination, which came despite a recommendation from the CPRA’s eight-member business advisory council to retain him. Eddy had earlier this year been suspended with pay pending an outside human resources investigation of allegations made against him by some CPRA office staff. He had since been reinstated.

It is hard to imagine that the CPRA would have spun out of control had they reached a deal to keep the Canadian Finals Rodeo in Edmonton, because that failure created division on the board. Instead, the 2016 event is the final one here.

It is hard to imagine that the CPRA would have spun out of control had they reached a deal to keep the Canadian Finals Rodeo in Edmonton, because that failure created division on the board. Instead, the 2016 event is the final one here. The CPRA’s negotiating committee rejected the final bid from the Oilers Entertainment Group on March 1. The OEG and City of Edmonton had worked in concert on a long-term deal with the cowboys, but CPRA wanted more purse money over the length of the deal and didn’t want to cede control of TV production or sponsorship generation to OEG. So the deal died.

A faction of CPRA directors opposed the rejection of that Edmonton bid and were upset with how the negotiations went down. One director said the CPRA executive leadership didn’t allow him to view the particulars of the OEG proposal until May, two months after it was rejected.

But at the time of the rejection in March, that faction was outnumbered by directors, executives and advisory council members who supported the idea of putting the CFR on the open market. Those people had decided the CFR was such an attractive property that several other Canadian cities would line up to bid for hosting rights.

That didn’t happen.

There wasn’t a single formal response to the CPRA request for proposals. Only Saskatoon indicated some interest in continuing to negotiate with the CPRA. Earlier this month, the CPRA and Saskatoon Tourism signed a memorandum of understanding to hold the CFR in that city from 2017 through 2019.

But Del Guercio said there is no straight line to be drawn from the CFR negotiations to the termination of Eddy and the resulting slew of resignations.

“All I can tell you, the deal with Saskatoon had nothing to do with it.”
    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/da...ion-in-turmoil
    Last edited by Hilman; 28-07-2016 at 09:39 AM.

^Wow, proof in the pudding that CPRA completely blew it and left the door wide open for a much larger, better funded organization to fill the space, bringing additional entertainment with it

C2E SME

Well the joke is on the CPRA. I also think that the city should not always be blamed for things like Greyhound or the CPRA.

Hahahaha. What a gong show. How could anyone screw something up so badly that was going pretty well overall.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Hahahaha. What a gong show. How could anyone screw something up so badly that was going pretty well overall.
    “There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult” - Warren Buffett

“Talking to Time Magazine a few years back, Peter Drucker got to the heart of things: ‘I will tell you a secret: Dealmaking beats working. Dealmaking is exciting and fun, and working is grubby. Running anything is primarily an enormous amount of grubby detail work . . . dealmaking is romantic, sexy. That’s why you have deals that make no sense.’” - Warren Buffett

“I try to buy stock in businesses that are so wonderful that an ***** can run them because sooner or later, one will.” - Warren Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    “There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult” - Warren Buffett
    We call it the "complexifier" at my job.

Wow, the GM, the entire 8 member business/negotiating comittee, and half the board! What a bloodbath!

And they still go down not admitting they ran their herd over a cliff. Ha ha, uh, right, Del Guercio, riggggght. Lol.

Now a few years to rebuild the organisation. Hint, hire someone who has the horse sense to understand [best arena in the World + best agricultural fair on the Continent in November + most popular indoor attractions in Western Canada + triple the money you used to make] is actually going to be hard to beat.
    Last edited by JayBee; 28-07-2016 at 04:53 PM.

I wonder if their anti Edmonton sentiment had anything to do with it. Nothing else about this makes any sense.

I wonder if their anti Edmonton sentiment had anything to do with it. Nothing else about this makes any sense.
    How about, they couldn't agree on the price? I think that's a lot more likely. In a negotiation, if you aren't willing to walk away, then you are just a price taker. It looks like the board is not popular right now re the "hard line" they took. That hard line might have backfired badly if the offer from Saskatoon was actually less appealing.
    Last edited by moahunter; 28-07-2016 at 05:12 PM.

Ha ha ha HahahahahaHaaHa!

Yeah moa, the other part of negotiating is knowing what your 'Plan B' is.

Fail.

^OK, its not a negotiation failure, they just hate Edmonton like Glenco says (even though they have been doing the event in Edmonton for years...).
    Last edited by moahunter; 28-07-2016 at 05:25 PM.

^ no, frankly moa, I can't think of a better explanation for their flabbergasting stupidity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast