Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Oilers 2016-17 Season Thread

Default Edmonton Oilers 2016-17 Season Thread

Watched part of the Young Stars game from Penticton tonight. Glad the Oilers won (4-3 in overtime over Flames young stars), but who are these kids? 11 names on the roster were completely new to me.

Forward Lines:

Benik - Butcher - Russell
    Shirley - Stadnyk - Descheneau
    Christoffer - Platzer - Chase
    Bauer - Foster - Soustal

Defensive Pairings:

Jenkins - Irving
    Betker - Doetzel
    Jones - Benning

Goalies:

Dylan Wells
    http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=892801

No Puljujarvi, no Benson, no Niemelainen, no Caggiula, no Bear.

Usual pattern of snubbing the dirty Flames to avoid needless injury to higher prospects? Flames did play Matthew Tkachuk, who looked like he fit his billing, playing well on every shift, making a difference (but not enough of a difference against the likes of Jenkins and Irving.)

Did see Matt Benning and Patrick Russel, who were signed in the off-season. They both looked solid for the flashes I saw. Dylan Wells (drafted this year) played very well in net for this level of shooting, having faced over 40 shots, although maybe looked less good than Nick Ellis who played the first game against the 'Nucks.

Big Ben Betker (one of my favourite unsung prospects) was team captain, and seemed to be on the ice for the last 10 minutes straight after the Flames had tied it and were pressing.

Joey Benik (??) scored two goals, Collin Shirley (??) added the other in regulation, and Jaedon Deschaneau (??) won it in overtime. Had to be worried for Kayle Doetzel (??) after he failed to skate in the entire third period after a fight in the second.

Meanwhile in the World Cup, Leon Draisaitl scores yet again to help propel Team Europe to a 3-0 shutout over the USA in the first game of the tournament, and then seems to be benched (??!!) by Ralph Kruger, playing only 7:05 in the entire game. I didn't see anything but the highlights, so I have no idea how he or Sekera actually looked out there.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

I note for tomorrow's World Cup of Hockey viewing at Rogers Place, all the seats sitting square to the screens have been sold out, and they've opened the corner sections. Should be a fun time.

Go McDavid, go Nuge!

C2E Long Term Contributor

No Puljujarvi, no Benson, no Niemelainen, no Caggiula, no Bear
    Benson is injured again - poor kid just can't catch a break.
    Bear is dealing with a family issue.
    Puljujarvi, Niemelainen and Caggiula played the first game against Vancouver. They always rotate players in and out to give everyone a chance to prove themselves. Maybe they don't play Puljujarvi again after his dominant performance in the first game; last year McDavid only played one game in the Young Stars.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ that's probably a better explanation.

Still, those are the five I most wanted to see.

C2E Posting Power

Pulju 6 points in 2 games. And, imo, looked rusty the first game. With his performance, Draisatl and Nuge at the worlds, and McDavid being McDavid, is it ridiculous to finally have some optimism?
    YEG lifer. Phillips liver.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodmanza View Post
    Pulju 6 points in 2 games. And, imo, looked rusty the first game. With his performance, Draisatl and Nuge at the worlds, and McDavid being McDavid, is it ridiculous to finally have some optimism?
    I've learned to try not to have any anymore lol, but it is exciting. The issue is those are all forwards. The whole year, is going to turn on Talbot, Klefbom and Larsson, subject to us signing someone else. One of those three go down, and we will be sunk, but if they play as well as they can, I think the playoffs will be well in sight.

It will be interesting if we overpay Kris Russell, with a view to maybe dropping Nurse to the AHL (where he probably needs some more time). There could be some merit to that given we are not at the cap, but the downside is if someone comes available, won't have the room to move.

C2E Posting Power

Just for some comparison, we started last year with Purcell as top line RW (Eberle injured), and Fayne-Schultz as our top 2 RD. There really is no feasible way I can see us being no less than 15 points better in the standings based on this alone

First One is Always Free

It would definitely be nice to play some meaningful games in March for a change

Quote Originally Posted by xiii View Post
    I thought we were still only 5 points out of the playoffs at the beginning of March this year?

Then Eric Gryba got injured.

C2E SME

The playoff cut line in the West was abnormally low last year.

^ good point, but I just meant there were "meaningful games" in March of this year (and we lost most of them.)

All four Oilers in action at the World Cup today.

Very interesting that teams Europe and North America have both confounded predictions so-far.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    ^ good point, but I just meant there were "meaningful games" in March of this year (and we lost most of them.)

All four Oilers in action at the World Cup today.

Very interesting that teams Europe and North America have both confounded predictions so-far.
    Curious where you are getting this from? On March 1 we were 13 points out, so no, no meaningful games.

Here is a link to run standings by day: Drop Your Gloves

^ oops. Heard that over the water cooler. Thanks for the link.

C2E Posting Power

^Np. Actually if you look at our schedule, it took a 6 game winning streak just to get to near .500 by mid December. Now that I look back, a huge key to this season is going to be Talbot starting strong. In his first two months last year, his save % was below .900. Then from then on it was at something around .925-.930.

He needs to be strong right out of the gate, as does the whole team.

How about meaningful games in November? I can't wait for this season. Even if there are some tough times I believe this group (players, coach/management, and fan base) are better equipped to deal with them.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Bodmanza View Post
    ^Np. Actually if you look at our schedule, it took a 6 game winning streak just to get to near .500 by mid December. Now that I look back, a huge key to this season is going to be Talbot starting strong. In his first two months last year, his save % was below .900. Then from then on it was at something around .925-.930.

He needs to be strong right out of the gate, as does the whole team.
    The man's wife is due to have twins in October or November... that could swing wildly one direction or the other.

C2E Posting Power

Perhaps some motivation to earn another contract with all those mouths to feed.

Think Pulju sticks in the NHL to start the year or in AHL?

^ I predict that the Joker will not only stick to the NHL but he will be on McJesus' line
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

Part of me thinks that the organization will make a point of sending him down to start the year to signal to everyone in the organization that guys have to earn spots and that the days of gifting guys a spot in the lineup because of draft position are over. The other part of me thinks that he'll be too good in pre-season to resist the temptation of keeping him around.

I think it would likely be a mistake to put him on McDavid's line, at least initially. They'll be seeing the other teams' best players every single shift. That's a tough introduction to the NHL. What's more likely is that if they do keep him around, they try to find him softer minutes further down the lineup. I was going to say on the third line with Draisatl, but that would leave RNH playing with Yakupov which has never worked. And that's not even considering Versteeg, if the makes the team (he will). They've definitely got some tough decisions to make on who goes where.

Gryba now officially signed as a PTO

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Part of me thinks that the organization will make a point of sending him down to start the year to signal to everyone in the organization that guys have to earn spots and that the days of gifting guys a spot in the lineup because of draft position are over. The other part of me thinks that he'll be too good in pre-season to resist the temptation of keeping him around.

I think it would likely be a mistake to put him on McDavid's line, at least initially. They'll be seeing the other teams' best players every single shift. That's a tough introduction to the NHL. What's more likely is that if they do keep him around, they try to find him softer minutes further down the lineup. I was going to say on the third line with Draisatl, but that would leave RNH playing with Yakupov which has never worked. And that's not even considering Versteeg, if the makes the team (he will). They've definitely got some tough decisions to make on who goes where.
    I personally think Eberle has to be with CMD, the two of them together are just too good / have too much chemistry, and we need as many points as possible from the top line. With Yakupov for example, the top line while still over 50 corsi, was nowhere near as good as with Eberle (from memory, something crazy good like 58 ). The LW can be Maroon or Lucic or Pouliot, as works best for the other lines.

So that means Yak will probably be with Draisatl, and Pool party (if he stays up), with Nuge. I think. But we will see I think my prefence would be:

1 Maroon, CMD, Eberle = Plays the Rush, high scoring
    2/3 Lucic, Draisatl, Yakupov/Versteeg = Heavy line that grinds / scores dirty goals
    2/3 Pouliot, Nuge, Pool party/Versteeg = Puck possession line with high talent / defensively responsible

That gives real contrast between the styles the lines play, which makes it much harder to play against us, than when line 1 and 2 both played the rush.
    Last edited by moahunter; 21-09-2016 at 10:54 AM.

If Talbot craps the bed due to personal stuff or gets injured, they are going to have to trade for a goaltender. Gust is hardly insurance and Brossoit has work to do in making the transition from the AHL to NHL in terms of adjusting to the difference in speed.

There were a lot of good goaltenders on the market this summer and Edmonton weren't able to deal for any of them, unfortunately. I trump it up to no one wanting to come to Edmonton. I mean, if you can sign in Florida versus Edmonton, I'm signing in Florida all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    I trump it up to no one wanting to come to Edmonton.
    With Edmonton's terrible defense who can blame them? It's so bad that playing goal for the Oilers can ruin your professional career.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    How about meaningful games in November? I can't wait for this season. Even if there are some tough times I believe this group (players, coach/management, and fan base) are better equipped to deal with them.
    Looking at their schedule the Oilers only have 4 division games in the first 16 (until Nov 13). Plus most are against the eastern conference. I think that really works in their favour to be in a good position.

C2E SME

The only goalie careers Edmonton's defense ruined were guys that likely wouldn't have made a go of it elsewhere, either. Dubnyk's career is doing fine, although it took him awhile to recover from MacT's big dumb mouth. Khabibulin was at the end of his rope. Deslauriers was not an NHL goalie. Nor are/were Scrivens or Fasth. Bryzgalov had his moments, but over his career he really only had 3-4 good seasons out of 10+.

There were a lot of good goaltenders on the market this summer and Edmonton weren't able to deal for any of them, unfortunately. I trump it up to no one wanting to come to Edmonton. I mean, if you can sign in Florida versus Edmonton, I'm signing in Florida all day long.
    First off, there's a glut of UFA goalies available so why would the Oilers trade for one? I've read somewhere that most teams are waiting to see how training camp shakes out before any more goalies are signed.

And I don't know how many times this has to be repeated: players care more about teams that can win, than about where the team is located. Why else have players flocked to crapholes like Detroit or Pittsburgh, or some far-flung KHL team in the middle of Siberia? McDavid is able to attract the likes of Lucic, but the Oilers need to establish themselves as contenders in order to be one of the most attractive free agent markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    First off, there's a glut of UFA goalies available so why would the Oilers trade for one? I've read somewhere that most teams are waiting to see how training camp shakes out before any more goalies are signed.

And I don't know how many times this has to be repeated: players care more about teams that can win, than about where the team is located. Why else have players flocked to crapholes like Detroit or Pittsburgh,
    Half agree, half don't. If we were a consistent playoff team, yes, it would help. I think its pretty clear though that players prefer playing in the US, where hockey is a more minor sport, than in Canada. There is a lot less media attention / pressure. Why would anyone choose to go through, what Schultz went through, or Horcoff, or pretty much any Leafs player? It takes a lot of confidence to play for a Canadian team I think, or a very thick skin. In writing that, it seems to be a little easier to get a goalie now that a few years ago.
    Last edited by moahunter; 21-09-2016 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

And I don't know how many times this has to be repeated: players care more about teams that can win, than about where the team is located. Why else have players flocked to crapholes like Detroit or Pittsburgh, or some far-flung KHL team in the middle of Siberia? McDavid is able to attract the likes of Lucic, but the Oilers need to establish themselves as contenders in order to be one of the most attractive free agent markets.
    First, there were a glut of UFA goalies available, but all the good ones have now signed.

Second, what point are you trying to make here? Players care about both. I have friends that play in the NHL, and both winning AND location, among other things such as $$$, come into play, when they make decisions on where to sign. It isn't as black and white as you make it out to be. Some players have spouses and children to think about too. If you stay in one market for a long time, and your family is settled there AND the team likes you, you're usually not going to move on, even if the team starts to go to the crapper.

Regardless, you're correct to say that Edmonton has to establish itself as a contender. McDavid can only attract players so much. There is a reason we attracted Gusta vs. the other UFA's that were available.

Until there's a room-serviced condo 200 metres tall and 200 metres walk (in slippers and night gown) from the Oilers dressing room, yeah, we're still dealing on stigma and people's patience.

But 2 years down, and you're an unwanted ***** if you don't want to be in this location.

Getting close enough.

No issues with Gustavson keeping the bench warm for Brossoit (or impressive U.S. university free agent Nick Ellis). Kindof a disposable role, but valuable once in a while, in the Royal Chinette kind of way.

^The Ice district might be nice for some of the younger players, but the only NHL players I have know, had families with kids and large houses in nice neighborhoods (e.g. Glenora, etc.). I don't think its a big deal for them, but family and lifestyle issues can matter (both positive and negative for Edmonton versus other locations based on their personal situation). Like it or not, Canada is struggling now to attract NHL free agents versus US locations where there is less pressure / invasiveness on their lifestyles. Some players will like the attention though. All players I expect, want to be in the playoffs, once that's a consistent thing, Edmonton will be a more attractive location. Not the case yet though.

^ nope, we're fighting the "location" battle too. (and starting to win.)

^I think personalities can make a bigger difference than facilities or infrastructure, which is a good thing. Lucic is a classic case, IMO, he came here because PC asked him to / wants to work with him again. That's why people go to Detroit, its a dump, but it has been a fantastically run organization. Its all very player specific though, the key is to show the NHL that the oilers are a successful organization with a winning team again, when that happens, everything changes. The Ice district helps, but its just one aspect of many.

C2E SME

Just discovered that the Oilers have restricted the ticket management system so that you can only "print" tickets 48 hours before game time. In reality, the print feature just downloaded a PDF to your desktop, and you could access any game at any time. Which was incredibly convenient for the vast majority of season seat holders who share the seats with multiple partners. So long as everyone had the account info, you could just log in at the beginning of the year and print out a large PDF with all your tickets. For businesses like mine that give away the vast majority of tickets to employees and clients, you could just slice and dice the PDFs up and easily email them to the recipients.

Now? If you want to transfer the tickets more than 48 hours before game time, you have to use the awful Ticketmaster back end to do so. The recipient then has to log in to their own Ticketmaster account, or if they don't have one, they'll have to create one. This new system is a massive inconvenience, and the only reason they've made the change is to ensure ticket reselling happens through the NHL Ticket Exchange, and not Stub Hub. Guess which charges a higher commission? And for the record, I only resell one or two games a year. 95% of our tickets are used for business purposes.

re: Klefbom versus Hall

So it sounds like Google Translate isn't quite perfect:

He likes Hall. He liked him as a teammate. He likes the way Hall plays, no matter what team he’s playing against and where they are in the standings.

“That was crazy. What an interview that was. It was a very weird interview” said Klefbom.

“It was a spit-show. Some reporter asked me about Adam (Larsson) and the trade overall and I said I’d like Adam to come here. For me as a defenceman and a Swede, I said I liked the trade. But then he twisted it and it came out that I didn’t like Taylor Hall, at all,” said Klefbom.

“The thing is I like Adam, a big Swede and a defenceman. I liked the trade obviously but I don’t have anything against Taylor Hall as a person or a player. I have to talk to him when we play each other (January).”
    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...inally-healthy

I take that to mean his intention to say was more like "Against strong teams, we suffered by not having a top pairing right-side D-Man like Larsson, but we were okayish against weaker teams."

I'm okay with that.

C2E Posting Power

Notes from the first day:

- Maroon lost *25* pounds in off season
    - Yakupov wants to stay, work, and win
    - Nuge/McDavid will come to camp Tuesday
    - Maroon-Yak, Lucic-Eberle likely wingers for whichever center

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Just discovered that the Oilers have restricted the ticket management system so that you can only "print" tickets 48 hours before game time. In reality, the print feature just downloaded a PDF to your desktop, and you could access any game at any time. Which was incredibly convenient for the vast majority of season seat holders who share the seats with multiple partners. So long as everyone had the account info, you could just log in at the beginning of the year and print out a large PDF with all your tickets. For businesses like mine that give away the vast majority of tickets to employees and clients, you could just slice and dice the PDFs up and easily email them to the recipients.

Now? If you want to transfer the tickets more than 48 hours before game time, you have to use the awful Ticketmaster back end to do so. The recipient then has to log in to their own Ticketmaster account, or if they don't have one, they'll have to create one. This new system is a massive inconvenience, and the only reason they've made the change is to ensure ticket reselling happens through the NHL Ticket Exchange, and not Stub Hub. Guess which charges a higher commission? And for the record, I only resell one or two games a year. 95% of our tickets are used for business purposes.
    Yeah very annoying. It's the same for concerts now too.

The last few years we've had all of our season seats printed by the Oilers and delivered to us with our season seats package.

Makes it much easier to divide up the seats between our group

C2E SME

I wonder if the Oilers are interested in Jacob Trouba:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/j...quested-trade/
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

^he would be an awesome fit, young, right shot, good size, plays 20 minutes plus. A package perhaps for Nurse (who isn't proven but good potential) would be worth doing.

^^ I'm sure Chiarelli has already contacted them, but Winnipeg likely isn't going to dump him for peanuts. Right shot defensemen are still a precious commodity in the NHL. And if Adam Larsson costs a Taylor Hall then imagine what Winnipeg's asking price will be.

Tweets from Oilers broadcaster/employee Bob Stauffer
    https://twitter.com/Bob_Stauffer

For those asking. I wouldn't trade either Klefbom or Nurse in a deal for Trouba. Klefbom-Larsson pairing at a good $. Nurse does not need...
    ...to be protected for the Expansion draft. Also, what is Trouba worth in terms of contract?

Looks like an awkward salary ask to me. Finding balance on the ice is one thing, but under the cap is another. If he really gets $7million, Winnipeg would have to take Sekera, Fayne, and Yakupov from my armchair GM's desk.

C2E SME

That's just his ask, and perhaps an intentional high one to grease the skids on getting him out of town. Wherever he'd end up, he'd likely be in the 5-6 million range. Maybe even less, depending on term. He'd be an excellent fit with the Oilers, but it would really depend on what Winnipeg's ask is. If it's Nurse and a pick/prospect, that's something to think about. If it's RNH or Eberle plus picks/prospects, then not much to think about.

Edmonton Oilers have a new mascot 'Hunter' named after the first Oiler owner Bill Hunter. It's a Lynx, chosen from a competition.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2963466/ed...er-the-mascot/

Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Love it.

Laugh at the LCD knuckleheads saying it's "too scary."

And an excellent tribute to Bill Hunter, and the Edmonton spirit of 1972.

I watched some of the split squad games, and aside from the glaring "it's pre-season, it means very very little" angle, a couple meaningless observations:

1. Puljujarvi may not be ready after all(or maybe he will be.)
    2. Brossoit was the goalie who stoley the moley.
    3. Pitlick lives to fight another day, hopefully this time the train stays on the tracks.
    4. Versteeg would be a bet I would place, although there are a couple more games to judge that on.
    5. Do none of the Calgary players need to compete for spots?

I watched some of the split squad games, and aside from the glaring "it's pre-season, it means very very little" angle, a couple meaningless observations:

3. Pitlick lives to fight another day, hopefully this time the train stays on the tracks.
    4. Versteeg would be a bet I would place, although there are a couple more games to judge that on.
    Well done Jaybee. Agree with all of this. Only exception is the mascot.....a) unnecessary b) poorly done. Having said that I'm not sure how it could be done. c) a tribute to Wild Bill? A tasteful bronze bust and/or glass display at the entrance may be more fitting. boring? maybe but his contribution is quite important in Oiler history. They cut Octane and replace with this?
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

I'd rather C2E than work!

From what Top_Dawg sees, this goofy lynx thing doesn't look ' too scary '.

It looks ' too stupid '.

I don't like Mascots, but its not about me I guess, its about kids, and if it makes some happy to get a hug from one, I'm cool with that.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post

Well done Jaybee. Agree with all of this. Only exception is the mascot.....a) unnecessary b) poorly done. Having said that I'm not sure how it could be done. c) a tribute to Wild Bill? A tasteful bronze bust and/or glass display at the entrance may be more fitting. boring? maybe but his contribution is quite important in Oiler history. They cut Octane and replace with this?
    emphasis added...

"this" might be silly but octane was down right embarrassing.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

^agreed, hockey = Ice Girls (not cheerleaders).

C2E Posting Power

Love it.

Laugh at the LCD knuckleheads saying it's "too scary."

And an excellent tribute to Bill Hunter, and the Edmonton spirit of 1972.
    I knew I had seen this mascot before....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VicFO2U5Ko

Oh I'm so frightened. Sure would be better if it looked like a stupid cartoon character.

Can we talk hockey now?

Oh I'm so frightened. Sure would be better if it looked like a stupid cartoon character.

Can we talk hockey now?
    Sure, but it was our Oilers that made this (mascot) part of the conversation. Would be better if it didn't exist.
    and moa, please, if one is taking their child to 'get a hug from a mascot' take them to an OilKings game. Better mascot, better deal.

But ok. On ice attention now.

Can we talk hockey now?
    Are you sure you want to?

Oilers get clubbed by most of a Nucks AHL lineup in a game in which they were outplayed, outworked and schooled. With Nucks executing transition breaks for fun and even outplaying us on our PP's Oilers had 6 PP's to Nucks 2 but Nucks score on both of those.

Meanwhile Lucic playing cooler on the McDavid line. Lets hope that experiment doesn't last long, oh, but now it will, Maroon got injured.

Wow, this team.

If this game was played at Rogers the home team would've been boo'ed. Bad enough it was televised.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

So Big Ben Betker bugs off to Bakersfield. I see why, but I keep seeing things to like in his game too. McCurdy compares his path to Brandon Davidson.

The Edmonton Oilers have trimmed their training camp roster to 43 players, including five (5) goaltenders, 15 defencemen and 23 forwards.

The following players have been reassigned or released:

Ben Betker D Assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)
    Greg Chase F Assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)
    Braden Christoffer F Assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)
    Josh Currie F Assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)
    Ryan Hamilton F Assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)
    Kyle Platzer F Assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)
    Patrick Russell F Assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)
    Ryan Vesce F Released
    https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/oile...?tid=281885062

C2E Posting Power

So last nights game:

Caggiula - A
    Nurse - B
    McDavid - B (would be A if anyone could finish one of his passes)
    Davidson - B

Reinhart - C- - walked all night to the outside, however did score
    Gustavsson - D - looked, what's the right word, "shaky" all night. Flopping around and making himself small
    Eberle - C - pretty ho hum
    Lucic - C - seemed not to even break a sweat, bumbled a lot of McDavid feeds, will take time to click.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Meanwhile Lucic playing cooler on the McDavid line. Lets hope that experiment doesn't last long, oh, but now it will, Maroon got injured.

Wow, this team.
    Much drama about a pre-season game, where the established players are just warming up. I seem to remember quite a few years in the last decade where we were unbeaten, and outplayed opponents, in pre-season, only to collapse miserably once the real games started. It's all just about finding chemistry now, and who should be on the roster.

^there is a lot of talk of playing Draisaitl at W beside Nuge, and putting Caggiula on third line. Its difficult to assess players in pre-season though, Caggiula has a spot to earn so he will obviously be playing harder than the veterans, but sustaining that at NHL level is very different. Interesting option though, as could create two dominant top lines, and give solid minutes to Draisatl and Nuge (which they both need, but hard to provide when splitting time across the second and third line behind CMD).
    Last edited by moahunter; 29-09-2016 at 08:11 AM.

C2E SME

Can we talk hockey now?

Oilers get clubbed by most of a Nucks AHL lineup in a game in which they were outplayed, outworked and schooled. With Nucks executing transition breaks for fun and even outplaying us on our PP's Oilers had 6 PP's to Nucks 2 but Nucks score on both of those.

Wow, this team.

If this game was played at Rogers the home team would've been boo'ed. Bad enough it was televised.

Does it really have to be explained to you every single pre-season that typically the team that is more AHL-laden will generally work a lot harder and often win the game? This is because the guys on the AHL bubble are playing for jobs with the NHL club. Meanwhile guys on guaranteed NHL contracts are working at 90% or less and working out the kinks in their games, because there's no point blowing a groin or shoulder just to prove that you're better than a bunch of vagabonds who won't be remembered in a month.

The Oilers have quite consistently had a winning record in the pre-season over the past 10 years. And it's had zero correlation to regular season success. I feel like I've made this exact same post every late September for the past several years.

Can we talk hockey now?

Wow, this team.

Does it really have to be explained to you every single pre-season that typically the team that is more AHL-laden will generally work a lot harder and often win the game? This is because the guys on the AHL bubble are playing for jobs with the NHL club. Meanwhile guys on guaranteed NHL contracts are working at 90% or less and working out the kinks in their games, because there's no point blowing a groin or shoulder just to prove that you're better than a bunch of vagabonds who won't be remembered in a month.

The Oilers have quite consistently had a winning record in the pre-season over the past 10 years. And it's had zero correlation to regular season success. I feel like I've made this exact same post every late September for the past several years.
    Marcel, there is no clear inverse correlation between Exhibition, and regular season results. Or involving teams playing starters vs AHLers. Normally you posit substance in your posts so its odd to see you going anecdotal. This is also setting up a weird binary where if the team plays well, that's good indication, and if the team gets beat, that's good indication...c'mon, that's seeing what one wants to see.

Fact of the matter is that other than Caggiula the Nucks prospects outplayed ours who looked like dolts out there.

More the concern is that McLellan, it was even stated, WANTED a good pre season record and for the team to go on a roll so that they could establish some confidence. He was double shifting McDavid in the 3rd trying to get an equalizer. Instead we once again see a club so content to get outworked, outhit, and with players even getting targeted last night for dirty hits (Caggiulia, McDavid) and the Oilers standing around waiting for a bus..) Even with Lucic, Nurse, Maroon in the lineup. Supposed deterrents.

We also saw the Oilers signed backup stink the joint out and look uncomfortable (keeping in mind he actually let in 4 goals in 2 periods, not 3 as somehow the officials and Canucks missed an obvious goal) We saw Nucks go around Reinhart all night like a rented mule. This being not indicative of "just pre season" but rather that he hasn't improved skating one iota.
    Last edited by Replacement; 29-09-2016 at 11:41 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

We also saw the Oilers signed backup stink the joint out and look uncomfortable (keeping in mind he actually let in 4 goals in 2 periods, not 3 as somehow the officials and Canucks missed an obvious goal) We saw Nucks go around Reinhart all night like a rented mule. This being not indicative of "just pre season" but rather that he hasn't improved skating one iota.
    I don't think most people expected Reinhart to make the Oilers this year (Nurse seems to be preferred), so not sure where you are coming from. As to his skating, I think its a little dangerous to judge a player on one or two games, it may be the Reinhart trade was a bad one, but I'd give it another year before that's concluded, there are no guarantees the draft picks would have been any better. This is preseason, the sky is not falling yet, as the roster gets trimmed, the competition for spots will increase.
    Last edited by moahunter; 29-09-2016 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post

Wow, this team.
    Much drama about a pre-season game, where the established players are just warming up. I seem to remember quite a few years in the last decade where we were unbeaten, and outplayed opponents, in pre-season, only to collapse miserably once the real games started. It's all just about finding chemistry now, and who should be on the roster.

^there is a lot of talk of playing Draisaitl at W beside Nuge, and putting Caggiula on third line. Its difficult to assess players in pre-season though, Caggiula has a spot to earn so he will obviously be playing harder than the veterans, but sustaining that at NHL level is very different. Interesting option though, as could create two dominant top lines, and give solid minutes to Draisatl and Nuge (which they both need, but hard to provide when splitting time across the second and third line behind CMD).
    This was Lucics first one squad game with the club. One would think he would at least look interested and engaged out there. Instead we saw a player that didn't take one number all night, was frequently not able to keep up with the rush of his linemates, who fumbled most pucks that went to him and was a step behind the few times he did try to deliver a check. It was a poor effort from a player starting here.

Nor will I ignore McLellan shaking his head in disgust when Nucks scored (I believe it was 3rd goal) and with the Oilers having just played a series of trading chances and not even bothering to get back on the shift. Versteeg is show floating back)

On another play Pouliot takes a typical penalty late in the game due to not skating as he loses his man on the boards.

Certainly one can't ascertain everything from preseason but its all we got to comment on now regarding a team that has been bad for a decade and that showed poor work effort, poor chemistry, being out of position often, just last night.

I don't think most people expected Reinhart to make the Oilers this year (Nurse seems to be preferred), so not sure where you are coming from. As to his skating, I think its a little dangerous to judge a player on one or two games, it may be the Reinhart trade was a bad one, but I'd give it another year before that's concluded, there are no guarantees the draft picks would have been any better. This is preseason, the sky is not falling yet, as the roster gets trimmed, the competition for spots will increase.
    FTR I was hoping the player would have success but last night for this player anyway was very revealing. Not that he got burned once with players going outside around him, that would be an event that happens to D. But it happened 4 times as far as people noticed last night to Reinhart.

ps this is the Oilers, the sky is always falling..

(jk, the team will be better this year, I would say 80some pt season)

i'm more positive when it comes to the Eskimos even though they have struggled this season.

This was Lucics first one squad game with the club. One would think he would at least look interested and engaged out there. Instead we saw a player that didn't take one number all night, was frequently not able to keep up with the rush of his linemates, who fumbled most pucks that went to him and was a step behind the few times he did try to deliver a check. It was a poor effort from a player starting here.
    Lucic is an experienced NHL with Stanley Cup playoff experience, who has a guaranteed spot on the roster, and you want him to come into pre-season of a long NHL season ahead, skating the lights out of everyone (which will lead to a mid-year burn out?)?? I don't, he will show up when we really need him, which isn't right now, I expect out top veteran players to be cold right now (prospects need to be hot if they want to make the team - e.g. Caggulia), I'd be more concerned if our top players were overdoing it right now, re a burnout.

Up front all eyes were on free agent signing Milan Lucic. To tell you the truth I got my best glimpses in the warm-up, when the mammoth winger worked on pivots and acceleration in the neutral zone. I was impressed by the sheer power of his stride, not to mention the rate at which he gobbled up the ice. Like many large men he’s faster than he looks, and at a listed 233 pounds is an absolute load to contain. Once the game actually started he very much looked like a veteran who knows full well the season is 82 games long, not 90. A lot of quiet shifts, with occasional glimpses of the physicality, board play and passing acumen which define his game. Not sure what it is about #27 and big men in this town — think: Dave Semenko, Georges Laraque, Dustin Penner. The latest to wear it combines Semenko’s intimidation factor, Laraques’ ability to work the walls, and Penner’s soft hands and mammoth net front presence. He’s going to be a fascinating player to watch.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...eir-new-palace
    Last edited by moahunter; 29-09-2016 at 11:52 AM.

Lucic is an experienced NHL with Stanley Cup playoff experience, who has a guaranteed spot on the roster, and you want him to come into pre-season of a long NHL season ahead, skating the lights out of everyone (which will lead to a mid-year burn out?)?? I don't, he will show up when we really need him, which isn't right now, I expect out top veteran players to be cold right now, I'd be more concerned if they were hot re a burnout.
    Lucic had better be our top veteran player. Contractually this is an albatross term contract if he isn't. Nor is my take on Lucic based on what I'm seeing now. Lucic's last 2 seasons in Boston he was less effective as were the Bruins. While he rebounded in LA his spot role use there and some pretty good linemates aided in production. But a constant in the last few years is Lucic looking a step slower than he did prior. The hope was that he would do whatever it took in the offseason to get a step back and that he would be healthy and fresh. Early returns, but didn't look like it. We'll see, but on a team that has had chronic issues and inconsistency and that hasn't played like a team it was a disappointing effort.

C2E SME

Marcel, there is no clear inverse correlation between Exhibition, and regular season results. Or involving teams playing starters vs AHLers. Normally you posit substance in your posts so its odd to see you going anecdotal. This is also setting up a weird binary where if the team plays well, that's good indication, and if the team gets beat, that's good indication...c'mon, that's seeing what one wants to see.
    I never said there was an inverse correlation between pre-season and regular season. I said that "typically" teams with more prospects and plugs playing in pre-season will outwork and "often" beat more veteran laden teams. Those are two different statements. Without doing a detailed statistical study of every game and ice time allotted to various classes of player, there's no possible way to quantify it. Some teams will play more or less veterans in some games and some pre-seasons. Sometimes less. Generally the first few games are split squads with a huge number of guys who are going back to junior, college, or the AHL/ECHL. Later in pre-season teams will play their near complete NHL rosters.

What I was saying is that pre-season means very, very little when it comes to predicting on ice success in the regular season and especially the playoffs. Especially this year when many of the best players in the league will miss some or all of their team's training camps while they participate in the World Cup. I will again remind you that the Oilers were 6-1-1 last year. 4-4 in 2014. 5-2-1 in 2013. What have any of those records said about the team's subsequent regular season performance? Basically nothing.

I never said there was an inverse correlation between pre-season and regular season. I said that "typically" teams with more prospects and plugs playing in pre-season will outwork and "often" beat more veteran laden teams. Those are two different statements. Without doing a detailed statistical study of every game and ice time allotted to various classes of player, there's no possible way to quantify it. Some teams will play more or less veterans in some games and some pre-seasons. Sometimes less. Generally the first few games are split squads with a huge number of guys who are going back to junior, college, or the AHL/ECHL. Later in pre-season teams will play their near complete NHL rosters.

What I was saying is that pre-season means very, very little when it comes to predicting on ice success in the regular season and especially the playoffs. Especially this year when many of the best players in the league will miss some or all of their team's training camps while they participate in the World Cup. I will again remind you that the Oilers were 6-1-1 last year. 4-4 in 2014. 5-2-1 in 2013. What have any of those records said about the team's subsequent regular season performance? Basically nothing.
    Hey, its all we got to talk about now, oilers offseasons are typically very long and this looming season is huge to the team and fanbase. We gotta see changes this season, which like I said I think we will ultimately.

Too bad Maroon went down, haven't heard anything substantive yet on the injury, didn't look good. I really like Maroon and what he brings. Odd unfortunate play where he got hurt.

I will say this Gustaffson is awful and I'm still wondering why the club has interest in him. Much worse goalie than even Nilsson last year. We need a solid backup and hopefully Brossoit is up to task.

Oilers get curb stomped by the Jets. 5-1. Larrson on ice for all 4 PP goals by the jets, an odd night at the office. Klef on for a few as well and then had to go off ice due to some undisclosed reason. Maroon hurt last game, Talbot torched in his first game in several months.

Not much to see I guess but early returns are ugly.

At least the Eskimos were able to do Edmonton proud again while also being in Winnipeg and grounding the Bombers.

Yup, here we go again Oilers.

C2E SME

^ no surprises there:

The following players have been reassigned to Bakersfield (AHL):

Jujhar Khaira F - Assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)

Joey LaLeggia D Assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)

Eetu Laurikainen G Assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)

Mitch Moroz F Assigned to Bakersfield (AHL)

The following players have been placed on waivers for the purpose of reassignment

Taylor Beck F

David Musil D
    https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/oile...er/c-282307328

My bet for opening night:

Lucic - McDavid - Eberle
    Pouliot - Nugent Hopkins - Versteeg
    Maroon - Draisaitl - Yakupov
    Hendricks - Caggiula - Kassian
    (Letestu)

Klefbom - Larsson
    Sekera - Fayne
    Nurse - Davidson
    (Gryba)

Talbot
    Gustavson

By April I predict we see Reinhart (with Sekera or Davidson), Brossoit, and Puljujarvi (pushing Versteeg down and Yak out.)

All in good fun.

C2E SME

Pouliot does not look ready.

Oilers get to face the Kings B squad (Kings are playing two games tonight so they are divided into split squads, this is clearly the worst Kings split team)

Oilers pretty much playing a stacked lineup, close to what will be the team at Start of reg season. Just minus the first D pairing.

Oilers should be able to walk in a game like this and I expect they will be making it close.

Its on TV tonight if anybody wants to watch. On SN, either on one of their channels or on GameCenter tier which I believe is free right now.

Meanwhile Taylor Hall is batting it out of the ballpark in NJ, and that team is looking good. Looks like they easily replaced Larsson with Auvitu, who had 3 assists last night and knocks it out of the ballpark on the PP. Devils were passing puck around on a string. Of course with Hall leading the action. sigh.

Amazing how easy a good GM and org can just get players they need that actually help and without selling the farm. Auvitu looks better than any D we've had here since Pronger. Yeah, that good. Possibly the best D in Europe last year. Hardly anybody noted that signing while Shero was playing hardball with Chia saying he needed the moon because he couldn't afford to lose Larsson. Probably had a hard time stopping from laughing on the phone.
    Last edited by Replacement; 02-10-2016 at 05:53 PM.

Oilers get to face the Kings B squad (Kings are playing two games tonight so they are divided into split squads, this is clearly the worst Kings split team)

Oilers pretty much playing a stacked lineup, close to what will be the team at Start of reg season. Just minus the first D pairing.

Oilers should be able to walk in a game like this and I expect they will be making it close.

Its on TV tonight if anybody wants to watch. On SN, either on one of their channels or on GameCenter tier which I believe is free right now.

Meanwhile Taylor Hall is batting it out of the ballpark in NJ, and that team is looking good. Looks like they easily replaced Larsson with Auvitu, who had 3 assists last night and knocks it out of the ballpark on the PP. Devils were passing puck around on a string. Of course with Hall leading the action. sigh.

Amazing how easy a good GM and org can just get players they need that actually help and without selling the farm. Auvitu looks better than any D we've had here since Pronger. Yeah, that good. Possibly the best D in Europe last year. Hardly anybody noted that signing while Shero was playing hardball with Chia saying he needed the moon because he couldn't afford to lose Larsson. Probably had a hard time stopping from laughing on the phone.
    Hall looked really good with Henrique and Palmieri. And it looks like they have a gamer with Auvitu too. I expected Hall to take a step forward this season, but it's still pretty early on Auvitu.

I wonder if the Oilers should have stuck to the rumoured plan to take Sergachev in the draft. Habs got him, and he looks like he might stick. Big, strong, right shot D, world class skater, good hitter, great puck mover. Exactly what the Oilers needed. But they can't help themselves, going for the shiny new toy (and Puljujarvi is pretty shiny). Only 18, so will likely go back to junior for a year after a few games, but didn't look out of place.

correction - he's a lefty, so not exactly what Oil looking for

Glad to see McD score. It's been awhile, though, of course, he's playing great.

Caggiula looks really good to me. I think he should stick.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-10-2016 at 02:41 AM.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

I didn't watch the game yesterday, but Oesterle?

Is he winning a job?

I didn't watch the game yesterday, but Oesterle?

Is he winning a job?
    Oesterle doesn't do enough things well to come close to compensating for his diminutive size. To stick as a smaller NHL D these days you have to be an excellent skater, PMD, and silky smooth on offense/PP. He doesn't really bring any of these things. A notion that Oesterle ever was anything close to a typical NHL D is borne out of the low caliber D Oilers fans have been accustomed to looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post

Hall looked really good with Henrique and Palmieri. And it looks like they have a gamer with Auvitu too. I expected Hall to take a step forward this season, but it's still pretty early on Auvitu.

I wonder if the Oilers should have stuck to the rumoured plan to take Sergachev in the draft. Habs got him, and he looks like he might stick. Big, strong, right shot D, world class skater, good hitter, great puck mover. Exactly what the Oilers needed. But they can't help themselves, going for the shiny new toy (and Puljujarvi is pretty shiny). Only 18, so will likely go back to junior for a year after a few games, but didn't look out of place.

correction - he's a lefty, so not exactly what Oil looking for

Glad to see McD score. It's been awhile, though, of course, he's playing great.

Caggiula looks really good to me. I think he should stick.
    Caggiulia has impressed me. What a buzzsaw, hard not to like his continuous effort and relentless fight for pucks. The season the Rangers made it to the cup final they had at least half a dozen forwards playing like that continuously. But hardly anybody noticed the RNH quote at WC that jumped out at me;

“I can take something from the World Cup, with the pace, jumping into the play, being as quick as I can,” he said. “The way we played at the World Cup, you can’t do that over 82 games, though. Any time there was a little turnover, even in our end, our team took off.”

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...fter-world-cup

This being a potential star player who has hot and cold stretches essentially telling you why that is. A player that has never been in the playoffs telling you they don't play to peak and why you only notice that RNH (the one the Oilers drafted) some of the time. To me it was a mind blowing quote for a star player to make because most stars in this league have the physical conditioning and drive to bring it on almost every night. Indeed last night we have two time SC winner Jeff Carter playing better, and with more intensity, than any Oiler on the ice.

Its somewhat ironic that RNH is trying to bring a Toews or Datsyuk type game without realizing fully that one of the reasons those players are so successful is the shift to shift pace and excellence they expect from themselves in seasons that typically involved regular season AND lengthy playoffs.

Theres a lot of talk about 'losing culture' on the Oilers. If I saw a quote like that from a star player on my team I'd be talking to him about it on Monday morning and asking some serious questions. Unfortunately, we traded Hall who, next to McDavid was the closest thing we had to a player that would bring it most of the time.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo
    Only 18, so will likely go back to junior for a year after a few games, but didn't look out of place.
    He didn't come from junior, and can't "go back" to it. He can go to the AHL, though. This is how it works with guys who come from European leagues as opposed to the CHL.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement
    Theres a lot of talk about 'losing culture' on the Oilers. If I saw a quote like that from a star player on my team I'd be talking to him about it on Monday morning and asking some serious questions. Unfortunately, we traded Hall who, next to McDavid was the closest thing we had to a player that would bring it most of the time.
    You have attempted to take that quote completely out of context, and twist it to being about effort on the ice. When the entire article leading up to that quote was entirely about taking offensive chances, jumping up in to the play and taking risks. Here is the very next quote from RNH: "“I still want to play the 200-foot game. I don’t want to be a liability offensively. (Jonathan) Toews is a good example, the way he plays both sides of the puck and he’s tough on face-offs. I want to round out my game and still produce offensively,” he said."

Shameful how you attempted to twist that to suit your narrative that he takes shifts off and seemingly expected no one to notice.

Only 18, so will likely go back to junior for a year after a few games, but didn't look out of place.
    He didn't come from junior, and can't "go back" to it. He can go to the AHL, though. This is how it works with guys who come from European leagues as opposed to the CHL.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement
    You have attempted to take that quote completely out of context, and twist it to being about effort on the ice. When the entire article leading up to that quote was entirely about taking offensive chances, jumping up in to the play and taking risks. Here is the very next quote from RNH: "“I still want to play the 200-foot game. I don’t want to be a liability offensively. (Jonathan) Toews is a good example, the way he plays both sides of the puck and he’s tough on face-offs. I want to round out my game and still produce offensively,” he said."

Shameful how you attempted to twist that to suit your narrative that he takes shifts off and seemingly expected no one to notice.
    Shameful? lol, get stuffed.

Are you for real? I linked the article. Which gave the context. I could have quoted 2 paragraphs in the article all of which are cause for concern but didn't due to the length.

Typical RNH apologist.

Its quite clear the player in question has been cutting corners in an Oilers uniform. Shocking actually that he would be stupid enough to give the quote.

Perhaps you realize, I doubt it, that in order to be as effective as Datsyuk, Toews, its necessary to be able to have the stamina, drive, consistent jump to battle for loose pucks and opportunities. in order to play the effective 200ft game day in, day out, a go to center must be able to do that. You don't do that by picking games and meting out limited energy. Centers like Toews, Kopitar, Datsyuk are dominant because they look for attack opportunities and shifting puck possession on every shift. Not by hanging back and playing safe. Its the attack aggression in these players and creating picks and puck battles that make them effective. In fact rare for any of them to spend any shift without the puck.

Maybe if RNH actually had a personal trainer in the offseason other than his brother, that he's been using since he's been in the league.

Nuge doesn't take shifts off. He takes weeks or months off where he's not the same player.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-10-2016 at 09:05 AM.

This one directed at McLellan and Oilers coaching staff.

The team trades Hall in offseason, one of the clubs favorite players, with fans/pundits asking all season "why" or that Larsson alone isn't sufficient return and the team has played several exhibition games, two televised, and Larsson not in the lineup for either of those. it would seem that the club would want to feature, or at least show the new player to their fanbase. Or play him last night in a game a lot of people were watching on TV.

Next, Fire Woodcroft. Do it retroactively one year ago (sarcasm). Theres one reason why this guy has a job.

how on Earth can a club not even come close to having a sog in a 5 min PP playing a split squad with Matt Green playing first pairing for LA?

Next, how can a club that has been so bad for so long ice a near complete lineup, play a split squad team, and be outworked most of the night. mysteries..

^it's preseason man...

We've seen years where the oilers just destroy in pre-season and tank during the season. I wouldn't think too much into it. Regular season is what matters.

Quote Originally Posted by barhonda View Post
    ^it's preseason man...

We've seen years where the oilers just destroy in pre-season and tank during the season. I wouldn't think too much into it. Regular season is what matters.
    Playoffs is actually what matters. Remember that?

But good work habits occur at anytime and which again, players like Jeff Carter exemplify. What did he have to prove being the best player on the ice for either club last night. hey, its just an elite player using the 60mins to hone his game after what he would consider a long off season. He does this because as a star veteran player he's driven to be the best everytime out there. Ironically Lucic, in contrast noticeable last night only due to how far behind Eberle and McDavid he was on nearly every rush.

I think as Oiler fans we're used to any excuse possible for a subpar team and performance.

This is yet another season where we are supposed to be seeing changes. Don't tell me either that Mclellan hasn't been disgusted with the lack of effort of most of his players. He's literally swearing on the bench and was last night as early as the 2nd period where he noted the team was letting LA back in the game.

Again habits, either good or bad, which creep in at any point and are important at any point.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-10-2016 at 10:17 AM.

Just a thought/wonder - Replacement, do you play hockey? Just curious as to some of your comments seem odd to me, as someone that has played a lot of hockey. Not a dig at you personally; I'm just curious. Here is my take on Lucic last night nonetheless:

I liked Lucic last night from what I saw relative to his previous games. He had a strong game - he dominates the short pass game and I like him as the trailer on the rush. He doesn't need to be up there right in the thick of things with McDavid/Eberle. That tandem is good enough for the back door play, but often the trailer play can catch a goalie off guard since the two driving to the net force the goalie back in his crease and you drop it to the trailer who has a ton of net to shoot at. Three across would seem odd to me; Lucic wasn't ever completely out of the play. Both Eberle and Lucic commented on how timing is more important than being fast and I agree with them. Thought he cycled okay (not superb mind you), yet chipped the puck when necessary.

The icings at the end of the game probably made TMac's blood boil, though.
    Last edited by Moodib; 03-10-2016 at 10:49 AM.

[Sergachev] Played for Windsor Spitfires last season, and was named Most Outstanding Defenceman in the OHL.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 03-10-2016 at 11:12 AM.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Caggiula looks really good to me. I think he should stick
    I think he should as well, its good to reward pre-season performance, but as fans, we have to be a little realistic / careful with regards to him. I'm hoping he is going to be that Cogliano / Pisani type player who can provide skill for the third line. But its one thing to perform your heart out to win a place in the team, during pre-season, and quite another to sustain that over an entire season when players are operating at a much higher level. Time and time again, a marginal player will do that, only to fall off after a few months of NHL "grind". But, if he can sustain it, what a find. If he can't, will look great on our AHL team I think.

I take all of pre-season with a grain of salt, is basically the time when prospects can try and "knock" the NHL players out, and where coaches can experiment a bit with different chemistry on lines. I don't think much can be read into it at all, other than perhaps evaluating a bit how players are doing in their development / whether or not will make it into the NHL. Most prospects won't, that's the harsh reality, especially for top 9 forwards who more often than not today, go into the NHL at a very young age soon off a high first round draft selection. Its why I'm a believer that lower round draft picks for forwards should really be looking mostly, aside from the odd flyer on a skill guy, for guys who bring size / physicality or defensive acumen to a fourth, maybe third, line, as the odds of finding a top 9 forward who isn't identified early today, are minute at best. That approach means quite a few coke machines will get drafted in lower rounds, but the odd gem from them who brings enough skating / skill to contribute to beef up a line, will be found.
    Last edited by moahunter; 03-10-2016 at 11:28 AM.

James Wisniewski released from PTO in Tampa. I think he's worth a look here. Tampa have some depth, and he says he didn't really feel comfortable in their system.

We don't have depth, or a system, so that shouldn't be a problem here. Could be relatively cheap.

^I wonder if his ACL still isn't right.

C2E SME

[Sergachev] Played for Windsor Spitfires last season, and was named Most Outstanding Defenceman in the OHL.
    Sorry, thought you meant Puuljujarvi!

^I wonder if his ACL still isn't right.
    That's the question, for sure. Wisniewski did have an entire year to heal though.

About Caggiula, besides the obvious and natural "preseason caveats", the hints I'm seeing in the pre-game lineups and hearing from McLellan's post-game interviews tell me the Oilers really want him to succeed.

Not that he will, just that he's passed the tests so-far, and being given the opportunity.

I think it's true they want Draisaitl at 2RW.

^which would be ideal (I think, if the chemistry works with Nuge and Draisatil), its a bit of a waste for Nuge or Draisaitl to be on the third line, there simply won't be enough minutes to split across lines 2 and 3, given how many minutes line 1 is going to get with CMD on it. And Nuge is pretty weak at faceoffs, so Draisaitl on the line with him could take them, fixing that issue.
    Last edited by moahunter; 03-10-2016 at 02:26 PM.

Just a thought/wonder - Replacement, do you play hockey? Just curious as to some of your comments seem odd to me, as someone that has played a lot of hockey. Not a dig at you personally; I'm just curious. Here is my take on Lucic last night nonetheless:

I liked Lucic last night from what I saw relative to his previous games. He had a strong game - he dominates the short pass game and I like him as the trailer on the rush. He doesn't need to be up there right in the thick of things with McDavid/Eberle. That tandem is good enough for the back door play, but often the trailer play can catch a goalie off guard since the two driving to the net force the goalie back in his crease and you drop it to the trailer who has a ton of net to shoot at. Three across would seem odd to me; Lucic wasn't ever completely out of the play. Both Eberle and Lucic commented on how timing is more important than being fast and I agree with them. Thought he cycled okay (not superb mind you), yet chipped the puck when necessary.

The icings at the end of the game probably made TMac's blood boil, though.
    I've played hockey a fair bit, but not at any high level. I've been better at other sports and athletics.

As for Lucic I'm a huge Kings fans so I saw plenty of him last year. While Lucic added an element of puck support, extra pair of hands that could play at a high level, he is missing a step from his younger years. I feel that even the last 2 years in Boston were more of a struggle for Lucic. We/re getting Milan at the start of a decline, as most players do start to decline around his age. Last year it was notable he would take numbers and miss checks. A lot. Still gets his hits in but he has a harder time effecting retribution these days and when he does its blatant and he takes penalties doing it. Last season the meltdown where he lost it against Arizona and physically assaulted a player and accidentally punched an official got him suspended again and I feel the NHL is giving him more attention now. As in Kassian, Lucic's get out of jail free days are over. I think he could easily get a multi game suspension this year.

Anyway, as to his play there are lots of times where it makes sense to be 3 abreast, for instance in any of the odd man breaks that lapsed because he got caught. Theres been no chemistry or timing with Lucic thus far on that line. Its early and players figuring each other out, but I think Maroon adapted to McDavid quicker than Lucic has. As to the trailer that's invariable D that come up on that. Or Centers. Not the typical role of a winger. If anybody is behind the play I would prefer it be the Center.

About Caggiula, besides the obvious and natural "preseason caveats", the hints I'm seeing in the pre-game lineups and hearing from McLellan's post-game interviews tell me the Oilers really want him to succeed.

Not that he will, just that he's passed the tests so-far, and being given the opportunity.

I think it's true they want Draisaitl at 2RW.
    I thing its clear as well. Since the Calgary split games Yak has only seen action in two games and sparingly (frustrating trying to get stats on exhibition season or on NHL's new stats interface)

Conversely Caggiula is getting more regular looks and seems to be getting more toi. Also with his style of play being more catered to get repeat shifts. Yak can run cold on shifts which leaves coaches reluctant to put him back in there. Also a player like Caggiula that brings his brand of play on every shift makes it easier for coaches to evaluate not only that player, but players with him and where he best fits. Once a coach starts thinking about where you best fit it means your style of play has a niche here and your in.

I wonder about Versteeg. He has looked pretty good for third line clogging up the neutral. Has had some looks. Don't know if they have the room to sign him, though.

I wonder about Versteeg. He has looked pretty good for third line clogging up the neutral. Has had some looks. Don't know if they have the room to sign him, though.
    Just a note. McLellan has really been emphasizing with the club how important it is to get some wins, to get on a roll. McLellan was very upset on the bench when Versteeg failed to make an effort coming back on the backcheck on a Nuck goal. It was an ugly play, and Versteeg was very casual skating back. McLellan was fuming. I took note of that. It doesn't take a lot to get in his doghouse and I would think he certainly expects better from a seasoned vet who happens to be on a tryout. Versteeg hasn't shown enough, certainly not enough to be comfortable out there.

So, while I readily acknowledge my shortcomings as an armchair GM, a couple things are sortof itching:

1. Griffin Reinhart is probably better than Darnell Nurse.
    • I know we were toying with this notion toward the end of last season, but here amidst the hallucinations and mirages of preseason, I'm seeing precisely same fuzzy picture.
      Sure Nurse is tougher, sure his portrait is already on the wall of Rogers Place, sure we (including me) want him to succeed, but honestly I see our chances of winning almost any given game better with Reinhart right now. Had to say it.

2. Brossoit might be a lot better than Gustavson.
    • We keep hearing it's best for Brossoit to get "seasoning" in the AHL. I have no idea if one can't "season" in Edmonton, but the results on the ice thus far have not made this look like a hard decision.

3. Gryba and Versteeg both seem valuable.
    • I was very close to saying "Gryba seems better than Fayne, Versteeg than Yakupov" but I guess I had enough controversy for one post or something.
      Still that's kind where my mind is going.
      Would Yak really score more than Versteeg? Obviously wouldn't defend better.
      Gryba versus Fayne is a bit trickier due to quality of opponent, partner, situation, etc. but I guess at the very least I'd like to see Gryba stick.

So in general, my "Presently Penciled Pecking-order":

Centre:

• McDavid
      Nugent Hopkins
      Draisaitl
      Caggiula

Letestu

Left wing:

• Lucic
      Pouliot
      Maroon
      Cagiulla
      Hendricks

Right Wing

• Eberle
      Draisaitl
      Versteeg
      Kassian
      Yakupov

Left Defense

• Klefbom
      Sekera
      Davidson
      Reinhart
      Oesterle
      Nurse

Right defense:

• Larsson
      Sekera
      Gryba
      Reinhart
      Fayne

(bolded players appear in two positions.)

Originally published Saturday, Oct. 6, 1979

Oilers lose to Leafs but win at the gate

By JIM MATHESON

The score line was big numbers.

Toronto Maple Leafs 7 Edmonton Oilers 6

But the bottom line told a bigger story.

A sellout crowd of 15,415 fans poured into the Coliseum Friday night to see Darryl Sittier. Lanny McDonald and Borie Salming, three Leafs most Edmontonians had seen only on TV.

Friday’s crowd is only 318 fewer than watched the Oilers-Los Angeles. Oilers-Minnesota exhibitions — combined — earlier this week. Also, Friday’s attraction was a walk-in. no-season-ticket affair.

Callighen also picked up five points and centre Wayne Gretzky added two assists, giving the line 12 points. Dave Semenko added the other goal on Leafs’ backup Paul Harrison.

“Gretzky seems a little quicker than I saw him last year,” said Smith, who coached Cincinnati Stingers in 78-79. “He’ll get physically bigger and stronger as he goes along in the NHL. I don’t think you have to worry about him.”

The best blueliner Friday was 19-year-old Kevin Lowe, who continues to show more poise than some of the four- and five-year NHLers. While it’s a bonus for Sather that the first-round draft pick from Quebec City is showing so much maturity so early, the veterans are still having great gobs of trouble handling the puck in their own end.

ON THE BENCH: … Oilers signed rookie winger Dave Lumley to a long-term contract Friday. “It’s between one and 10 years.” chuckled GM Larry Gordon …
    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...eum-oct-5-1979

C2E Posting Power

Smile

So, while I readily acknowledge my shortcomings as an armchair GM, a couple things are sortof itching:

1. Griffin Reinhart is probably better than Darnell Nurse.
    • I know we were toying with this notion toward the end of last season, but here amidst the hallucinations and mirages of preseason, I'm seeing precisely same fuzzy picture.
      Sure Nurse is tougher, sure his portrait is already on the wall of Rogers Place, sure we (including me) want him to succeed, but honestly I see our chances of winning almost any given game better with Reinhart right now. Had to say it.

Disagree. Nurse has twice the physical ability that Griff does, and about an equivalent hockey IQ at this point. I take Darnell

2. Brossoit might be a lot better than Gustavson.
    • We keep hearing it's best for Brossoit to get "seasoning" in the AHL. I have no idea if one can't "season" in Edmonton, but the results on the ice thus far have not made this look like a hard decision.

Gustavsson looked, well, awful in his first start, agreed. Fish on land, basically. That said, Broissoit, despite being probably a better goaltender right now, is young and needs his 40+ starts that he won't get here.

3. Gryba and Versteeg both seem valuable.
    • I was very close to saying "Gryba seems better than Fayne, Versteeg than Yakupov" but I guess I had enough controversy for one post or something.
      Still that's kind where my mind is going.
      Would Yak really score more than Versteeg? Obviously wouldn't defend better.
      Gryba versus Fayne is a bit trickier due to quality of opponent, partner, situation, etc. but I guess at the very least I'd like to see Gryba stick.

With the inevitable injury bug I think Versteeg is a no-brainer for this squad. Gryba I am not sold on however he had a good showing last night. Still would prefer Chia pulled the trigger on an offensive RD instead.
    My comments in bold.

I would also have Puljujarvi on the big club (though I have no clue who sits for him, Yak looked good last night). He has improved immensely in each game and I predict by game 5 he would be in the swing of things.

C2E SME

Talbot is likely going to play every game in October, as there's no back to backs. Brossoit should be playing on the farm and the Monster can keep the bench warm. Next year, or even later this year, Brossoit might well be pushing Talbot for playing time if he keeps on his upward trajectory.

^That's what I think as well, Brossoit needs games, not sitting on the bench. Hopefully later in the year he will be ready for some NHL backup duties.

Not sure what happens with Yak now. It seems don't want him on first line (which I think make's sense, CMD probably doesn't want to hamstring his stats with a boat anchor), and with Draisatl on the second line at wing, that implies Yak is probably best on the bench (he is not a third or fourth line checking winger). Lowetide (who thinks Yak should play on first line), suggests it might be best to loan him to KHL if that's not the plan, given no other teams are interested in giving a roster spot to him.
    Last edited by moahunter; 05-10-2016 at 09:23 AM.

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast