Thread: Why Brad Wall keeps sticking his nose in Alberta's affairs

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Why Brad Wall keeps sticking his nose in Alberta's affairs

Saskatchewan Party received millions in donations from Alberta companies

Critics call Brad Wall's actions in Alberta undemocratic and unethical

Alberta-based companies have donated more than $2 million to the Saskatchewan Party over the past decade, according to a new database compiled by Progress Alberta, a left-leaning advocacy group.

Progress Alberta executive director Duncan Kinney said he started compiling the data after listening to Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall's speech to the Calgary Petroleum Club in June.

"No one in the media really clued into why he was giving a speech at the Calgary Petroleum Club to an audience of Alberta-based oil and gas people," Kinney said. "It was a fundraiser."

After compiling the data, using publicly available political donation records dating back to 2006, Kinney noted Wall is "an extremely successful out-of-province fundraiser."

Over the past 10 years, the party received $12.61 million from nearly 9,000 separate corporate donations, according to the database.

Of that, $2.87 million came from companies outside Saskatchewan, and $2.02 million came from Alberta-based companies, specifically.

Kinney noted Alberta-based donations included hundreds of thousands of dollars from companies in the oil and gas sector — an industry that Wall has enthusiastically aligned himself with.

In his June speech to the Calgary Petroleum Club, the Saskatchewan premier referred to himself and the industry as "we" and "us" and said the sector needed to be defended from what he deemed an "existential threat" from the likes of Hollywood stars, proponents of the Leap Manifesto and universities, churches and public pension funds looking to divest from fossil fuels.

"We are in the middle of a battle and, frankly, we haven't been winning very many battles," Wall told the industry crowd. "When I say 'we,' I mean this sector and the resource importance of Western Canada."

Duff Conacher with Democracy Watch said he's concerned about possible political interference.

"When you look at who's been funding the Saskatchewan Party, it's, I think, an undemocratic and unethical vicious circle of Alberta oil and gas companies supporting a party that's outside the jurisdiction so that the leader of that party can come to Alberta and make speeches that push their oil and gas company agenda forward, which is just not something that should be happening in any jurisdiction that should be calling itself a democracy," he said.

Conacher thinks corporate donations should be banned in Saskatchewan — as they are in Alberta — and that individual limits should be lowered.

There is no cap on donations in Saskatchewan.
    More:
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/saskatchewan-party-donations-alberta-companies-1.3831759?cmp=rss

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

There is nothing stopping Alberta parties from getting donations from Saskatchewan companies, or BC, or anywhere else, subject to donation limits (the rules for which in Alberta are stricter than Saskatchewan). Obviously if a province is growing fast, and has amazing resources, its going to attract investment, which also, like it or not, means donations. I'm sure it doesn't hurt PCL, for example, abilities to get major infrastructure projects, when they make political donations. Brad Wall's party formed originally when 4 liberals and 4 conservatives decided they had more in common (believed in trade / favorable business policies), than apart. The Saskatchewan government is facing a tough time at the moment, they have the northern half of the Bakken (which Alberta companies have helped develop), but the southern half is in the US. Companies are now deciding to not invest in the Canadian field, but rather, the field in the US, because the US doesn't have carbon tax on the horizon, and as many difficulties with market access. No doubt many of those political donations are going into the US now instead of Saskatchewan.
    Last edited by moahunter; 02-11-2016 at 08:10 AM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    There is nothing stopping Alberta parties from getting donations from Saskatchewan companies, or BC, or anywhere else, subject to donation limits (the rules for which in Alberta are stricter than Saskatchewan). Obviously if a province is growing fast, and has amazing resources, its going to attract investment, which also, like it or not, means donations. I'm sure it doesn't hurt PCL, for example, abilities to get major infrastructure projects, when they make political donations. Brad Wall's party formed originally when 4 liberals and 4 conservatives decided they had more in common (believed in trade / favorable business policies), than apart. The Saskatchewan government is facing a tough time at the moment, they have the northern half of the Bakken (which Alberta companies have helped develop), but the southern half is in the US. Companies are now deciding to not invest in the Canadian field, but rather, the field in the US, because the US doesn't have carbon tax on the horizon, and as many difficulties with market access. No doubt many of those political donations are going into the US now instead of Saskatchewan.
    Other than the law that prohibits Alberta parties from receiving donations from out of province. Also the rule saying companies can't donate to parties in Alberta at all.
    Last edited by Paul Turnbull; 02-11-2016 at 10:04 AM.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Other than the law that prohibits Alberta parties from receiving donations from out of province. Also the rule saying companies can't donate to parties in Alberta at all.
    If I were a Saskatchewan resident, I would be quite concerned about the political donations to Wall from Alberta companies. Whose interests is he really serving - the people of Saskatchewan or someone else? There is a reason out of province political donations are not legal in Alberta. There is a real ethical problem here for Wall.

I believe he also got donations from various government funded agencies (ex. municipalities, school boards, hospital authorities, etc ...), which is also illegal in Alberta and became a big scandal here a few years ago when the PC's did it. I recall Wildrose made it a big issue at that time.

^agreed, its ugly, but then, I'm sure it was not different when the NDP was in charge, I'm sure they used to get massive donations from various trade unions and similar. Like it or not, Brad Wall represents the province, and is popular due to the transformation his policies have created - its no longer a business spot to avoid at all costs, its a welcoming province (especially in comparison to the government versus ours in Alberta). But yes, it would be nice if he pushed through some electoral reforms on donations, the NDP there would need to accept some changes too though.
    Last edited by moahunter; 02-11-2016 at 10:46 AM.

Because what we used to call the "Conservatives" has been hijacked by a cabal of lying, smiling, completely immoral shoe polishers.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

^agreed, its ugly, but then, I'm sure it was not different when the NDP was in charge, I'm sure they used to get massive donations from various trade unions and similar. Like it or not, Brad Wall represents the province, and is popular due to the transformation his policies have created - its no longer a business spot to avoid at all costs, its a welcoming province (especially in comparison to the government versus ours in Alberta). But yes, it would be nice if he pushed through some electoral reforms on donations, the NDP there would need to accept some changes too though.
    I suppose it will be up to Wall to decide if he wants to reform the rules, I think he should. After that it will be up to the voters to decide in the next election how they feel about what happened. I think the political donations scandal in Alberta was one of the more politically damaging things to the PC's and it helped to defeat them. Wall needs to be careful about this and not play politics with it too much - bringing up union donations might be a nice distraction for him, but I don't think it will fool the voters.

A nifty thing about the internet combined with finance disclosure laws is it takes less than five minutes to look this stuff up rather than speculate. In 2006, the last year of the NDP government in Saskatchewan, the Saskatchewan NDP, like the NDP in Alberta, and the NDP in general receives the bulk of its donations from individuals and less than two per cent of it's donations from trade unions. The Saskatchewan Party in 2006, in the other hand, got half their donations from corporations and half from individuals.

http://www.elections.sk.ca/candidate...eriod-returns/

Personally I'm of the opinion only voters should be able to donate to political parties. So no companies, unions, organizations, or anyone not living in the jurisdiction.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Bradsplaining - “when a Saskatchewan politician named Brad tries to tell Albertans what’s good for them.”
    http://albertapolitics.ca/2016/12/oh...bradsplaining/

Heh, that was entertaining.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Sask. budget hikes sales tax to 6%, kills provincial bus company

$696M deficit forecast for 2017-18 as province rolls out a slew of spending cuts

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...-day-1.4035092

Saskatchewan's 'austerity budget' comes too late

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...late-1.4036468

And there's this:

C2E SME

Ballsy budget by Wall, to raise taxes and cut spending. It'll be interesting to see how his electorate reacts. I found this chart interesting:

This is a "fiscal conservative"? Looks like Wall managed to increase Saskatchewan's total debt load even when the times were good. Just goes to show you that regardless of ideology, most governments are unable to resist the temptation to spend like drunken sailors when the times are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Ballsy budget by Wall, to raise taxes and cut spending. It'll be interesting to see how his electorate reacts. I found this chart interesting:

This is a "fiscal conservative"? Looks like Wall managed to increase Saskatchewan's total debt load even when the times were good. Just goes to show you that regardless of ideology, most governments are unable to resist the temptation to spend like drunken sailors when the times are good.
    Double the predecessor's and tripled over their time. (Might have been smart to take advantage of multi-gen lows in interest rates.

Still shows the consequences of responding to demands to serve a growing population, fix infrastructure deficits, raise compensation, build new schools, etc - much through financing based on higher but temporary revenues - all serving to throw fuel on the economic fire. Nice while it lasts and until until they reverse course and start throwing water on the remaining embers.

PST hike!!!!

Sask. tables deficit budget with cuts, PST hike | CTV Regina News
    http://regina.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sask...hike-1.3336355

Grant cuts in budget equivalent to 5.7% property tax increase, says Saskatoon mayor
    https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4037261

Fee hikes for long-term care residents among budget health cuts
    https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4035280
    Last edited by KC; 23-03-2017 at 09:45 AM.

The chart shows he basically kept net debt flat (very different from what Notley has done, or what Redford did), until the oil price crash. He has now taken action to correct the situation, cutting services and increasing revenues. Whereas Notley is just hoping that one day oil might go up again, keeping us living with a level of gold plated government service that we can't afford anymore, but that makes her union friends feel good.

Precisely, which is why I find his constant critiquing of the Alberta government laughable, almost hypocritical.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

Double the predecessor's and tripled over their time. (Might have been smart to take advantage of multi-gen lows in interest rates.

Still shows the consequences of responding to demands to serve a growing population, fix infrastructure deficits, raise compensation, build new schools, etc - much through financing based on higher but temporary revenues - all serving to throw fuel on the economic fire. Nice while it lasts and until until they reverse course and start throwing water on the remaining embers.
    I suppose the easiest way to reduce our debt significantly would be to have a 5% provincial sales tax, in addition to income taxes, like Saskatchewan does. Oh wait a minute, that's wrong now - yesterday in their Provincial Budget it was increased to 6% to help reduce the deficit.

Who here likes the idea of a 6% sales tax?

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by KC
    all serving to throw fuel on the economic fire. Nice while it lasts and until until they reverse course and start throwing water on the remaining embers.

Yup, basically this. Governments should be acting to counterbalance the business or commodity cycle, not exacerbate it. However in practice, they very rarely do.

Yup, basically this. Governments should be acting to counterbalance the business or commodity cycle, not exacerbate it. However in practice, they very rarely do.[/COLOR]
    Great if oil prices go back up in the next year or two. But if it takes a decade like in the 1980's this sort of stupidity, spending more on the credit card when your revenues are in decline, hammers future generations. You end up like Ontario, with debt service costs every single year of more than the cost of an LRT line. While brain surgeons like you might think that's sound fiscal management, Albertan's with basic knowledge of the pain of compounding interest and the risk of higher interest rates, know this is a path to long term lack of competiveness, high unemployment, and fiscal ruin. The longer the NDP dither in facing the reality of the situation today, the worse we are going to have to pay in the future.
    Last edited by moahunter; 23-03-2017 at 09:50 AM.

C2E Continued Contributor

The chart shows he basically kept net debt flat (very different from what Notley has done, or what Redford did), until the oil price crash. He has now taken action to correct the situation, cutting services and increasing revenues. Whereas Notley is just hoping that one day oil might go up again, keeping us living with a level of gold plated government service that we can't afford anymore, but that makes her union friends feel good.
    Keep trying to justify.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    A nifty thing about the internet combined with finance disclosure laws is it takes less than five minutes to look this stuff up rather than speculate. In 2006, the last year of the NDP government in Saskatchewan, the Saskatchewan NDP, like the NDP in Alberta, and the NDP in general receives the bulk of its donations from individuals and less than two per cent of it's donations from trade unions. The Saskatchewan Party in 2006, in the other hand, got half their donations from corporations and half from individuals.

http://www.elections.sk.ca/candidate...eriod-returns/

Personally I'm of the opinion only voters should be able to donate to political parties. So no companies, unions, organizations, or anyone not living in the jurisdiction.
    Yes! Ban the rest and cap the amount that people can give.

Maybe let corporations unions etc donate to a pooled fund for democratic sustainability issues like paying for debates etc.

As far as I'm aware the only union activity the NDP has had so far is a huge cut to physician pay. Such pandering!
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Keep trying to justify.
    So what should either government be doing right now?

Keep trying to justify.
    Nothing to justify, what I wrote is what it is. He kept net debt flat even while the economy their grew massively. The debt has skyrocketed since oil price crash. He sees that is not changing, and he is taking action. Our idiotic communist / union driven government is doing the opposite, ramping up spending / debt and just "hoping" that its all going to change soon. Its great for boomers retiring in a year or two but the NDP's policies are going to hammer Gen X and Millennials. We can see from the past these slumps can last a decade or more, but heck, Notley knows better... (until the next election, looking forward to her being kicked out, its just a shame the stupidity of her policies is going to make the next governments cuts way more harsh than they would have needed to be if we had a responsible government now).
    Last edited by moahunter; 23-03-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post

I suppose the easiest way to reduce our debt significantly would be to have a 5% provincial sales tax, in addition to income taxes, like Saskatchewan does. Oh wait a minute, that's wrong now - yesterday in their Provincial Budget it was increased to 6% to help reduce the deficit.

I do.

We'll, I like 5% better because I like round numbers, but I like the idea of no burdening future generations better than I like the idea of getting 'free' services. As a normal selfish human I don't mind not paying, but... Look at that graph. Our taxes could go up 30%, almost enough to get the deficit under control, and we would still be paying less than most provinces.
    Last edited by Highlander II; 23-03-2017 at 09:58 AM.
    There can only be one.

On a personal level I don't like having less money, but I have long come to terms with the concept of a sales tax being a necessary evil. Though I'd prefer a 5% harmonized tax, if only to keep the math simple.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    On a personal level I don't like having less money, but I have long come to terms with the concept of a sales tax being a necessary evil. Though I'd prefer a 5% harmonized tax, if only to keep the math simple.
    If our province reduced its spending to the average per capita amount that other provinces spend, there would be zero need for a regressive HST that hits the poor hardest (as spend higher percentage of income) - we are still much luckier than most provinces, the government is still collecting plenty from royalties, we still receive no equalization - its just, its not enough to pay for the most expensive and overpaid civil service in Canada. We continue to have a spending problem, not a revenue problem, we have had it since left wingers took over the PC's post Klein, and we will have it until the next government has the balls to correct the situation like Wall has just done, just as our private sector have had to face reality.
    Last edited by moahunter; 23-03-2017 at 10:03 AM.

A provincial sales tax simply won't fly in Alberta.

...and raising prices, like Wall raising the PST in a recession tends to reduce spending on affected items. Same with carbon taxes, sin taxes, etc.

Of course, the government isn't going to save the money they take in - they'll spend it.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    If our province reduced its spending to the average per capita amount that other provinces spend, there would be zero need for a regressive HST that hits the poor hardest (as spend higher percentage of income) - we are still much luckier than most provinces, the government is still collecting plenty from royalties, we still receive no equalization - its just, its not enough to pay for the most expensive and overpaid civil service in Canada. We continue to have a spending problem, not a revenue problem, we have had it since left wingers took over the PC's post Klein, and we will have it until the next government has the balls to correct the situation like Wall has just done, just as our private sector have had to face reality.
    You figure it was "left wingers" running the PCs post Klein?

'Winging' it is always such a game of self-serving semantics.

Its well known that unions and similar encouraged their members to become PC party supporters of Redford. She played to the left, she got them to buy party memberships so that she could win, and the left got exactly their type of penthouse hero. If there is one good thing about having the NDP right now, is they have taken those left wing nutcase voters into their umbrella. The campaign going on for the leadership of whatever conservative party we end up with isn't being tainted the way the old "one party state" elections were, we are going to finally get a fiscal conservative leader Premier (Jean or Kenney), something we haven't had since Klein. The sad thing is that Notley's totally irresponsible spend through the roof using the credit card policies right now, are going to force government cuts which are going to hammer Edmonton in particular - that shouldn't have happened, but its a reality that we are going to face because there is no longer an alternative.
    Last edited by moahunter; 23-03-2017 at 10:14 AM.

Its well known that unions and similar encouraged their members to become PC party supporters of Redford. She played to the left, she got them to buy party memberships so that she could win, and the left got exactly their type of penthouse hero. If there is one good thing about having the NDP right now, is they have taken those left wing nutcase voters into their umbrella. The campaign going on for the leadership of whatever conservative party we end up with isn't being tainted the way the old "one party state" elections were, we are going to finally get a fiscal conservative leader again, something we haven't had since Klein.
    Ahh, a fiscal conservative - not a winger. We need to start differentiating.

i.e. Business people / business owners are generally considered right wingers and business owners broadly love that employing debt.

Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall’s years in government have been mostly deficit years –
    Regina Leader-Post
    BY MURRAY MANDRYK
    ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED: FEB 3, 2016

That said, as someone who worked for the Grant Devine Progressive Conservative government and whose own Sask. Party clearly is of Saskatchewan PC heritage, fear of the bad-old-debt days are something that is imprinted on Wall.

After all, it was the 12 consecutive deficits from 1982 to 1994 on a summary financial basis (10 during every year of the Devine administration and two by the Roy Romanow NDP government that cleaned up Devine’s mess) that defined every past Saskatchewan problem, from higher taxes to health and education service cuts to population loss. (And isn’t that what Wall is really talking about in his most recent political ads about his college roommate who had been forced to leave the province?)

The good news is that Saskatchewan has kicked the deficit habit since the bad, old Devine days. There have only been seven deficit budgets in the 21 years since 1994 on the same summary financial basis that we use today. Three of those — in 2001-02 ($483 million), 2002-03 ($654 million) and 2003-04 ($147 million) — occurred under former NDP premier Lorne Calvert’s administration.

The bad news? Four of those summary deficits — 2009-10 ($409 million), 2010-11 ($13 million), 2011-12 ($105 million), and now the yet-to-be-disclosed 2015-16 deficit — have occurred under Wall’s eight-year watch. Now, add a predicted fifth deficit in 2016-17 and it would be five Brad Wall deficit budgets in nine years.

https://www.leaderpost.com/opinion/c...icit-years/amp
    Last edited by KC; 23-03-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Bring in a harmonized 5% PST and eff the Springbank idealogues.

Yep. As long as it's fully harmonized the regressive effect on the working poor can largely be mitigated by piggybacking rebates alongside the existing GST rebate schemes.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^good luck with that, even NDP are not politically stupid enough to bring in an HST or PST, any government that does will be beyond hated. There is plenty of revenue in Alberta, more than enough. Getting more just means more will be spent. It's time to turn the taps back and responsibly spend at no more than the average per capita provincial spend - given other provinces can do it, there is no reason Alberta can't.

An Alberta PST has been debated extensively already, but I'll reiterate that even a 2% PST on big ticket items and non-essential goods and services (I'm thinking real estate, new vehicles, flatscreen TVs, junk food and cigarettes) probably could have wiped out the debt by now and still have an advantage over other provinces had one been introduced over 10 years ago. The reliance on oil and gas royalties to fund a government is a mug's game.

In 2011, there were 346k public employees that earn a total of 21b, in Alberta making on average $61k. That has most likely went up slightly by now. A 5 percent rollback on everyone is only about a billion saved.

Moa, Alberta relied too heavily on natural resource revenue for too long and it isn't going to rebound to where it was. A sales tax now makes sense whether you like it or not. It isn't simply reducing spending at this point, but also about increasing revenue. You can't simply do cuts and you can't simply do taxes, either. You have to do both cuts and create taxes. Wall is definitely correct on that front. Too bad no one has the gall to do it in Alberta. $10b isn't going to go away by simply spending more prudently.

The NDP promised no sales tax. However we got a carbon tax (another sin tax aka sales tax) that hits a whole lot of our sales (aka purchases).

Either way, what the Government takes in, it sends right back out (as shortsighted as that is).

If we got a smaller government with lower spend, I wonder if the private sector would do differently.

Mia what do we spend and what should we spend an where would the difference go? (Interest on debt would stay in the province initially unless business and individuals upped their borrowing (assuming smaller government somehow boosts confidence).
    Last edited by KC; 23-03-2017 at 06:07 PM.

Wow!

Bradley John "The Poacher" Wall

I guess Alberta has been pulling in people for decades now from Saskatchewan so some pushback (or should I say pullback) may be overdue - but such an overt invite still seems unbecoming between neighbours.

Moreover, starting a few years back BC puts up all kinds of barriers to Alberta getting its exports out of the country and now this. Seems that we lack decent friends on either side of us.

Brad Wall invites Calgary energy companies to move to Saskatchewan
    Saskatchewan premier offers to subsidize relocation costs, trim taxes and royalties
    The Canadian Press Posted: Mar 29, 2017

In a letter to Whitecap Resources, Wall offers to subsidize relocation costs, trim taxes and royalties and help find space in unused government buildings if the oil and gas firm moves to Saskatchewan.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...tion-1.4046020

Political career[edit]
    Wall's political roots are in the Progressive Conservative Party of Saskatchewan, working as a ministerial assistant to Graham Taylor, Minister of Public Participation, Tourism, Small Business, Co-operatives and Health, and John Gerich, Associate Minister of Economic Development. Wall ran unsuccessfully for the Progressive Conservative nomination for Swift Current in April 1991.

Prior to his election, Wall was the director of business development for the City of Swift Current. In 1999, the Saskatchewan Economic Developers Association (SEDA) had presented him with the 1998 Economic Developer of the Year Award. In the early 1990s, Wall also managed a country music museum that was relocated to Swift Current from Kitchener, ON, following a significant grant from the Grant Devine government.[4] The facility went bankrupt in 1995.[5] Wall has also sat on a number of boards including being a founding member of the Southwest Centre for Entrepreneurial Development. Wall also started his own business, The Last Stand Adventure Company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Wall

bolding was mine
    Last edited by KC; 29-03-2017 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ... The reliance on oil and gas royalties to fund a government is a mug's game.
    And potash for one Mug in particular....

Wow!

Bradley John "The Poacher" Wall

I guess Alberta has been pulling in people for decades now from Saskatchewan so some pushback (or should I say pullback) may be overdue - but such an overt invite still seems unbecoming between neighbours.

Moreover, starting a few years back BC puts up all kinds of barriers to Alberta getting its exports out of the country and now this. Seems that we lack decent friends on either side of us.

Brad Wall invites Calgary energy companies to move to Saskatchewan
    Saskatchewan premier offers to subsidize relocation costs, trim taxes and royalties
    The Canadian Press Posted: Mar 29, 2017

In a letter to Whitecap Resources, Wall offers to subsidize relocation costs, trim taxes and royalties and help find space in unused government buildings if the oil and gas firm moves to Saskatchewan.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...tion-1.4046020

Political career[edit]
    Wall's political roots are in the Progressive Conservative Party of Saskatchewan, working as a ministerial assistant to Graham Taylor, Minister of Public Participation, Tourism, Small Business, Co-operatives and Health, and John Gerich, Associate Minister of Economic Development. Wall ran unsuccessfully for the Progressive Conservative nomination for Swift Current in April 1991.

Prior to his election, Wall was the director of business development for the City of Swift Current. In 1999, the Saskatchewan Economic Developers Association (SEDA) had presented him with the 1998 Economic Developer of the Year Award. In the early 1990s, Wall also managed a country music museum that was relocated to Swift Current from Kitchener, ON, following a significant grant from the Grant Devine government.[4] The facility went bankrupt in 1995.[5] Wall has also sat on a number of boards including being a founding member of the Southwest Centre for Entrepreneurial Development. Wall also started his own business, The Last Stand Adventure Company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Wall

bolding was mine
    Interesting, it seems Mr. Wall has been a poachin' for a while. I have a feeling raising the PST and cutting corporate taxes is not going over so well with the regular town folk in Saskatchewan right now and I suspect country folk don't like poachers.

I suppose he has to try do something with those empty government office spaces now that he's just laid off a bunch of them.

I saw his interview on Sunday, he made a ton of sense, unlike our idiots in power!

Oil and gas companies have nothing to lose, Notley has removed every possible incentive for them to stay.
    Last edited by H.L.; 29-03-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Yeah, you're going to get the head office types to give up easy access to Banff so they can move to Regina. Yeah, they'll be falling all over themselves to do that.

It looks like Brad Wall is poaching from Calgary, not Edmonton. I guess you can say that is a 'good thing'!
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Yeah, you're going to get the head office types to give up easy access to Banff so they can move to Regina. Yeah, they'll be falling all over themselves to do that.
    At the end, it's up to the shareholders. If the employees that ski at Banff don't like it, they can go work at Home Depot.
    Capital is portable, and won't be held ransom by anyone.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

There isn't much to poach from Edmonton lol!
    It's heaven and hell!

At the end, it's up to the shareholders. If the employees that ski at Banff don't like it, they can go work at Home Depot.
    "Capital" is a whole lot more than money.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    "Capital" is a whole lot more than money.
    Capital may be portable, but if the CEO and the Executives like to go ski at Banff, then head office will not be so portable.

If low cost was the only factor for head office location, Regina would be full of them already. Mr. Wall is just trying to create a bit of a distraction from a budget that is bad news for most people in his province. Also, he might actually be getting a friendlier reception in Calgary right now than at home.

If low cost was the only factor for head office location, Regina would be full of them already. Mr. Wall is just trying to create a bit of a distraction from a budget that is bad news for most people in his province. Also, he might actually be getting a friendlier reception in Calgary right now than at home.
    And Edmonton too, for that matter.

My family one of the few left to have mineral rights in sask. I'm moving my business there and B.C as ....I did the green thing: investing in solar, drive a hybrid , generate biofuels and the pricks go carbon tax me and give it to the gas stations ?
    nuh uh .... you back stabbers .

No one cares about ski slopes more than some of you guys.
    If you guys think that proximity to Banff is what keeps head offices in Calgary, then Houston and Dallas would be empty right now.
    Corporations do what's best for their shareholders. If it means moving somewhere else, then they'll do it.
    How many ski slopes are in Toronto or New York?
    Some of your comments are ridiculous.
    It's heaven and hell!

A HQ will move to wherever they can attract and retain employees from as large a pool of professionals and desired skillsets as possible, plus graduates from top schools. If you want oil and gas experts in your firm, where else are you gonna find a large pool of them other than Calgary? They will also want close access to power brokers, regulatory bodies, venture capitalists, investors, etc. Lifestyle will be a factor too, as is status - will the majority of the employees they want to attract and retain want to live in a large, progressive bustling city or a little big town that's no different from Red Deer?

If a head office really wanted to leave Calgary, I think they will sooner move to Toronto than to Saskatoon or Regina.

And speaking of, someone please be sure to let us know how many head office are fleeing Toronto because of Premier Wynne's government.

Brad Wall is stepping down

....and will announce that he is entering the race for leader of the UCP on Saturday.

Why???

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    ....and will announce that he is entering the race for leader of the UCP on Saturday.
    I wish! I love someone that stands up to Trudeau.

Retiring from politics
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ment-1.4241711

Maybe he'll get a job as an executive with one of the Calgary oil companies who've been bankrolling his party.

^ The more likely option.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Why???
    Sees the writing on the wall regarding his failed policies of cutting the budget on the backs of the people after squandering funds during the boom years and now faced with drastically reduced resource revenue. Sound familiar?

C2E SME

Why???
    Because he knows he won't get re-elected, in large part because of the downturn in the energy markets being dropped at his feet. You know, just like Notley. Except he was in charge for years before the downturn, so he doesn't have the excuse of "the idiots before me spent every last dime and now we're broke" that Notley does. Because he was the *****.

Also, great curse word filter we have here. I d i o t can't make it through, but idiots is kosher. Makes sense.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 10-08-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Sure the economic downturn has an effect.

But precious few politicians survive four elections - and ol' Wallski would certainly know that.

People just get tired of seeing the same fugly mug and want someone new.

Three elections is the maximum shelf life.

Only King Ralph won four consecutive majorities and even he got shoved aside by his party.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

It better to group them Marcel. That way nobody is getting singled out.

Why???
    Because he knows he won't get re-elected, in large part because of the downturn in the energy markets being dropped at his feet. You know, just like Notley. Except he was in charge for years before the downturn, so he doesn't have the excuse of "the idiots before me spent every last dime and now we're broke" that Notley does. Because he was the *****.

Also, great curse word filter we have here. I d i o t can't make it through, but idiots is kosher. Makes sense.
    Some friends in Sask are really upset. I said move here, Notley won't be in after this term.. I hear you, I posted that word, the curse bot got it..

But precious few politicians survive four elections - and ol' Wallski would certainly know that.

Only King Ralph won four consecutive majorities and even he got shoved aside by his party.
    Yes, I think he's been in long enough. I remember when he took over that province, I wish him well!

C2E SME

Not sure I agree with your premise that it's because the electorate gets sick of a particular face. It's more likely that after 10-12 years in office, there will be a downturn in the economy that'll sap their support (average business cycles are about 6-8 years). Or some sort of scandal rears its head. The really exceptional politicians can weather one or two downturns or scandals, but eventually enough crap sticks to them that they have to bow out. Some politicians have much better or worse luck for when those things happen. Notley had the bad luck of winning the election smack dab in the middle of a downturn, and got blamed for it. Wall on the other hand could have exercised better fiscal judgement and not spent like a drunken sailor prior to the downturn, but he didn't.

Or, maybe he's just tired of it all and wants to do something different. He's given plenty to the provincial cause.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

He is leaving at a good time. Klein stayed on a little long, but has an amazing legacy (summary from social media):

(1) Hosted the first profitable Winter Olympics
    (2) Paid off Alberta's 23b debt
    (3) Eliminated the MLA pension plan and cut his own salary
    (4) Oversaw expansion of oil sands into huge growth engine for economy
    (5) Saved healthcare and education by paying off the debt so tax revenue didn't go to paying interest on debt, but instead could be used on frontline workers and equipment
    (6) Added billions to Heritage fund
    (7) Reduced debt servicing costs from 11% of all taxes to 0%
    (8 ) Admitted when he was wrong and did the right thing
    (9) Reduced small business tax rates
    (10) Reduced personal tax rates
    (11) Reduced corporate tax rates, and attracted highest concentration of head offices to Alberta
    (12) Didn't blame natural resources for problems. Price of Oil when became premier - $13.75. Price when repaid debt - $37.66.

That's how you win four terms, someone could write something similar about Brad Wall.

He is leaving at a good time. Klein stayed on a little long, but has an amazing legacy (summary from social media):

(1) Hosted the first profitable Winter Olympics
    (2) Paid off Alberta's 23b debt
    (3) Eliminated the MLA pension plan and cut his own salary
    (4) Oversaw expansion of oil sands into huge growth engine for economy
    (5) Saved healthcare and education by paying off the debt so tax revenue didn't go to paying interest on debt, but instead could be used on frontline workers and equipment
    (6) Added billions to Heritage fund
    (7) Reduced debt servicing costs from 11% of all taxes to 0%
    (8 ) Admitted when he was wrong and did the right thing
    (9) Reduced small business tax rates
    (10) Reduced personal tax rates
    (11) Reduced corporate tax rates, and attracted highest concentration of head offices to Alberta
    (12) Didn't blame natural resources for problems. Price of Oil when became premier - $13.75. Price when repaid debt - $37.66.

That's how you win four terms, someone could write something similar about Brad Wall.
    Good post Moa

So, paying off debt is three of his top 12 accomplishments? Another three (cutting taxes) that form a big part of our current deficit? Adding "billions" to heritage fund? That didn't happen, not really. Adjusted for inflation the fund gained a couple billion, but per capita it was less than when he started.

He hosted the Olympics as mayor, and wasn't responsible for running them. "Did right thing" is highly subjective. And who needs to blame resources prices when you can blame unions and public servants?
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post
    So, paying off debt is three of his top 12 accomplishments? Another three (cutting taxes) that form a big part of our current deficit? Adding "billions" to heritage fund? That didn't happen, not really. Adjusted for inflation the fund gained a couple billion, but per capita it was less than when he started.

He hosted the Olympics as mayor, and wasn't responsible for running them. "Did right thing" is highly subjective. And who needs to blame resources prices when you can blame unions and public servants?
    I suspect if you could talk to Wall privately, he might say governing in good times is easy and fun, in bad times not so much. This is probably in part why he is leaving now - it really isn't fun anymore. Klein came in just as oil and especially natural gas prices started to go up considerably. He was smart (or perhaps lucky) enough to leave a bit before the s**t hit the fan, so his timing was a bit better than Wall's, whose legacy to Saskatchewan ends with a sales tax increase, spending cuts and a deficit.

I guess whoever takes over in Saskatchewan may be too busy figuring out how to deal with their own mess to spend much time sticking their nose into Alberta's affairs for a while. Although you never know, if you can't solve your own problems sometimes it is a bit of a temporary distraction or a diversion to go on about the neighbours instead.

I don't think it's fun for Wall anymore now that oil is approaching 3 years in the shitter. Probably also getting tired of the right wondering why he can't fix everything like he should be, unlike them godforsaken NDP to the west that they just love to blame for Alberta's woes.

Hypocrisy 101 folks!
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander II View Post

Don't fall into the historical revisionist camp. Historical Correctionist camp; yes, spin; no.

Klein's/PCs created the Sustainability Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Open up the wallet: Klein
    Urges Stelmach to dip into $7.7-billion sustainability fund
    By Don Braid, Calgary Herald; Canwest News ServiceFebruary 4, 2009 9:02 AM

Despite his reputation as a political skinflint, former Alberta premier Ralph Klein has a simple prescription for jolting the province's economy back to life: Spend until it hurts.

Klein isn't reluctant to give some indirect advice to Premier Ed Stelmach, who will deliver a big speech on the economy in Calgary on Thursday.

"I would spend on the provincial level, on infrastructure," Klein said Tuesday. "Eddie has the sustainability fund and he has the option of suspending the legislation (that stipulates) you can't have debt. The sustainability fund (worth about $7.7 billion) is the way to go.

"You can break the law and suffer the political consequences, or you can use the fund. That's why it's in place."

Asked if he's talked to Stelmach about this, Klein said: "He doesn't seek my advice on much. Neither do I ask."

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...272/story.html
    Quote Originally Posted by grish View Post
    notice he is actually advocating circumventing the legislature and the laws.
    Not really - this is what the sustainability fund is presumably for, which is what he is advocating using. I expect Ed will use the fund anway, regardless of what Ralph says.

A more interesting thought of mine, is why not dip into the Heritage Fund for some really major / big infrastructure projects? I guess that would be the opposite of the "Norway" approach - but if it was invested in a potential income earning asset that will generate downstream revenues it may pay for itself (e.g. another refinery, funding for those new nano computers, or siimlar)...

Source: connect2edmonton:
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...e-wallet-Klein
    Bolding above is mine

Note that this occurred when the "Fiscal Stimulus" mania spread across Canada. Subject to check, I believe, my opinion back then wasn't so keen on spending. Alberta didn't seem to be hurting that much. I think people, including Alberta executives were running scared and wanted massive fiscal imprudence on the part of our government.
    Last edited by KC; 11-08-2017 at 07:37 AM.

Price of oil almost triples and Klein didn't blame natural resource prices? How big of him. Klein also diverted royalties from the Heritage Fund to pay for the tax cuts thus ensuring that the Alberta economy was unprepared for the inevitable downturns in the price of resources.

He was also in favour of ranchers hiding the fact that their cattle were infected with madd cow disease.
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 11-08-2017 at 01:55 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I remember when I was raising funds for the Wild Rose party when Katz made that controversial large donation. Katz also made donations to the pc's as well.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    I remember when I was raising funds for the Wild Rose party when Katz made that controversial large donation. Katz also made donations to the pc's as well.
    Ahem, there actually is something stopping out of province corporate political donations. Even under the old rules an out of province corporation could only donate if it had operations or business in Alberta - admittedly not a high hurdle, but still not every out of province corporation could contribute. Under the current rules, corporations can not make Alberta political contributions. Katz and friends can still make contributions personally, but the limit is much lower now than under the PC's.

I don't know the US rules for political contributions, I suspect it varies from state to state, but I have a feeling its generally more the wide open wild west there. Federally, the Americans have a thing about foreigners getting involved in their campaigns so I don't know if any Canadian corp. could show up with a cheque and a smile and be greeted warmly.

In the US, money is considered speech so it's pretty much wide open although there's cases where the states are trying to rein it in. Alaska, for example.

This Lawsuit in Alaska Could Upend the Campaign Finance Landscape

Attorneys for Alaska are citing as precedent Bluman v. FEC, a 2012 Supreme Court case ruling that foreign citizens do not have the right to contribute money to U.S. elections. The state’s attorneys wrote in their brief, “Just as a Canadian citizen is not part of the political community governed by the U.S. federal government, a Florida resident is not part of the political community governed by the Alaska state government.” Advocacy group Free Speech for People, which filed an amicus brief supporting Alaska in July, points out that the state has long been suspicious of out-of-state actors interfering in its politics. The Alaskan tundra is often the target of companies seeking to tap its natural resources and to influence local elections—presumably for extraction privileges.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate..._of_state.html

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

So basically guys its a non issue.

C2E SME

I cannot wait until Brad Wall leaves politics.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Brad Wall is doing what's best for his Province not any less then any Provincial leader would for theirs. I couldn't tally the amount of donor dollars i raised for his last campaign but it was a lot. Probably enough to buy him another campaign bus. I like Brad Wall. I wish we had him for our Premier instead of who we have now. Sorry RN.

I don't recall an Alberta government not allowing Saskatchewan plated vehicles to be parked at worksites.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Brad Wall is doing what's best for his Province not any less then any Provincial leader would for theirs. I couldn't tally the amount of donor dollars i raised for his last campaign but it was a lot. Probably enough to buy him another campaign bus. I like Brad Wall. I wish we had him for our Premier instead of who we have now. Sorry RN.
    Me too!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    I don't recall an Alberta government not allowing Saskatchewan plated vehicles to be parked at worksites.
    It's a made up little war by a little Premier who like Napoleon fancies himself to be much grander than he is. Unfortunately, unlike Napoleon his French is not good, so he will never be PM of Canada. If the polls are right Saskatchewan might turf his party in the next election and put the NDP back in, not much of a legacy, no wonder he seems kind of bitter now that he is leaving.

More reasons Brad Wall is "...leaving the ship."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ment-1.4498621