Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Premier Notley's Second Year

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones;
    Ma and Pa businesses are already on their way out, in case you didn't notice, so let's do what is best for the masses and to heck with UCP and their lot.
    Yeah, who needs Hardware Grill when you and Noodle still have Denny’s to fill you up.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Yeah, who needs Hardware Grill when you and Noodle still have Denny’s to fill you up.
    If a restaurant that charges $38 for sausage or $25 for a burger can't pay their servers $15/hour without going tits up then that's just too bad.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones;
    Ma and Pa businesses are already on their way out, in case you didn't notice, so let's do what is best for the masses and to heck with UCP and their lot.
    When the economy struggles as it has over the last couple of years, some old places close and some new places open.

There are a number of interesting new local restaurants and other food options opening and yes Denny's is still there for those that like that too.

Repeat after me, Mr. Doom and Gloom - the sky is not falling, the sky is not falling !!!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    The NDP still have another term in them. The UPC isn't quite legit yet despite Jason Kenney's win, they have a long way's to go.

You think so? I would be surprised to see the NDP break 30% of the provincial vote next election.
    I said elsewhere on this thread but in the next election the NDP will win a minority, which is why I think Notley will have another term. I'm thinking 51-55%. Anything can happen of course.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    If a restaurant that charges $38 for sausage or $25 for a burger can't pay their servers $15/hour without going tits up then that's just too bad.
    Its not like they have an expensive chef to pay, and like you say, they can just buy all their ingredients and walmart can't they? Oh well, if places like Artigano collapse, at least there is still Tim Hortons.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Kenney did win big time in a PC stronghold. NDP lost 50% of their vote from the last time an election was run in that riding.
    Having said that. Kenney has plenty of time to show us his nasty side (I don't think he has a nice side) now that he is qualified to sit in the ledge and pontificate. Could be with him at the helm the You See Pee's will either flourish or rot. Let's see how Kenney performs or what transpires as a lot can happen in politics between now and the next election cycle. After all, Kenney did not get any glowing endorsements from when he was a federal politician.
    Actually he did. He was very good in any port folio he was given. ( as shown on CBC)But the main thing here, he bettered the WR and the PC together! The ndp had an extremely poor showing. An indication their time will soon be up...thank god!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Its not like they have an expensive chef to pay, and like you say, they can just buy all their ingredients and walmart can't they? Oh well, if places like Artigano collapse, at least there is still Tim Hortons.
    On the news, one chef was saying his prices will have to go up, paying youngsters a high wage, those living at home rent free, leaves little for really good chefs, so prices go up, less people go in, lay offs occur. The NDP don't get that..I'm not sure they ever will.

The NDP still have another term in them. The UPC isn't quite legit yet despite Jason Kenney's win, they have a long way's to go.

You think so? I would be surprised to see the NDP break 30% of the provincial vote next election.
    I agree, I think most of Alberta have seen enough of their ideology.

Its not like they have an expensive chef to pay, and like you say, they can just buy all their ingredients and walmart can't they?
    I didn't say this.

Stop trying to put words in my mouth, you're NEVER right.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    Kenney did win big time in a PC stronghold. NDP lost 50% of their vote from the last time an election was run in that riding.
    Having said that. Kenney has plenty of time to show us his nasty side (I don't think he has a nice side) now that he is qualified to sit in the ledge and pontificate. Could be with him at the helm the You See Pee's will either flourish or rot. Let's see how Kenney performs or what transpires as a lot can happen in politics between now and the next election cycle. After all, Kenney did not get any glowing endorsements from when he was a federal politician.
    Actually he did. He was very good in any port folio he was given. ( as shown on CBC)But the main thing here, he bettered the WR and the PC together! The ndp had an extremely poor showing. An indication their time will soon be up...thank god!
    Well this was the riding Kenney hand picked. I don't think he would have picked it, if he did not expect to do well. Remember it was one of the few that stayed with the PC's despite their debacle in the last election. I don't think it is a typical riding, probably more people concerned about the increase in personal taxes for people making over $125,000/yr than benefiting from the increase in the minimum wage in this riding.

Because most of Alberta/c2e voted for her. I voted for Jim. UPC is to Right of Centre for me.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

^^Yeah, by all accounts it is a pretty wealthy riding he ran in. People in those types of ridings are more into their Crate & Barrel rather than Walmart. Of course it was hand picked and the incumbent for it was made the sacrificial lamb. You See Pee's played their hand well on that one. Times gonna tell how this will play out. Should be interesting to see how the Ledge sittings pan out. Kenney fancies himself as some kind of terminator. More like the circus clown in some instances.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

^its not really wealthy, its middle class suburban. Those are the neighborhoods that decide elections. I'd say an equivalent in Edmonton would be Callingwood and the new neighborhoods outside it. Those are also the neighborhoods feeling the most pain at the moment, so many people with young families laid off from salary / good wage positions.

Evergreen would be a good example - average household income of about 105k (so two parents earning 50k odd each - which is your typical Alberta family today):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evergreen,_Calgary

Which is an almost exact match for Glastonbury which also has average household income of about 105k:

https://www.edmonton.ca/residential_...hicProfile.pdf
    Last edited by moahunter; 15-12-2017 at 02:58 PM.

^its not really wealthy, its middle class suburban. Those are the neighborhoods that decide elections. I'd say an equivalent in Edmonton would be Callingwood and the new neighborhoods outside it. Those are also the neighborhoods feeling the most pain at the moment, so many people with young families laid off from salary positions.
    Middle class is quite broad, I might say upper middle class. You might not be far off on the comparable in Edmonton, but probably where Calgary differs is more people work in those better paid white collar jobs in the energy sector and when oil dropped from $100/barrel to under $30 they were really hit. Unemployment has come down a lot in Calgary in the last six to nine months, I think by about 2% so there is definitely a recovery starting to happen now, but I am sure it has been a rough ride for some people used to those nice paying jobs in the energy sector.

^Fair enough - in Calgary those 100k families are often a couple with one or two white collar workers, in Edmonton its often someone in a trade or government making good money (say 70k) and someone in service industry making a bit less (say 30k). I think Edmonton is being hit the same way now though, its just a lag, Calgary feels it first. Summerside would be another neighborhood like that.
    Last edited by moahunter; 15-12-2017 at 03:04 PM.

Because most of Alberta/c2e voted for her. I voted for Jim. UPC is to Right of Centre for me.
    It won't be, most of the WR knows that..

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...rastic-changes
    So three ridings in Calgary the NDP lost, heck yes!

^Its brutal for small businesses now:

The Chamber released a report Thursday that called for governments to stop “layering” new taxes and charges on business. These include everything from the carbon levy to minimum wage, as well as city taxes and fees.

According to the Chamber, all new and increased levies will raise costs for a typical restaurant from $17,641 this year to $60,710 in 2018. Larger companies in transport and delivery sectors will see costs rise nearly $300,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Well this was the riding Kenney hand picked. I don't think he would have picked it, if he did not expect to do well. Remember it was one of the few that stayed with the PC's despite their debacle in the last election. I don't think it is a typical riding, probably more people concerned about the increase in personal taxes for people making over $125,000/yr than benefiting from the increase in the minimum wage in this riding.
    Oh I agree, but he didn't just win, he won big time! I'm so anxious to see him in QP, sewer rats on the left might have to worry! So far they have been coasting..jmho

^Its brutal for small businesses now:

The Chamber released a report Thursday that called for governments to stop “layering” new taxes and charges on business. These include everything from the carbon levy to minimum wage, as well as city taxes and fees.

According to the Chamber, all new and increased levies will raise costs for a typical restaurant from $17,641 this year to $60,710 in 2018. Larger companies in transport and delivery sectors will see costs rise nearly $300,000.
    Of course it his., Notley and JT sing from the same hymn sheet!

Anyone putting much stock in Kenney's byelection win should remember October 27, 2014 when the PCs under new leader Prentice swept 4 provincial byelections. These byelections took place 6 months - not 18 months - before the general election. The NDP finished in fourth place when the results of the byelections were added together.

https://globalnews.ca/news/1636192/a...r-byelections/

^which was before the man in the mirror comment (or was that MJ ), and the Smith move. It imploded pretty fast for Prentice after that.
    Last edited by moahunter; 15-12-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    Anyone putting much stock in Kenney's byelection win should remember October 27, 2014 when the PCs under new leader Prentice swept 4 provincial byelections. These byelections took place 6 months - not 18 months - before the general election. The NDP finished in fourth place when the results of the byelections were added together.

I think we know all that, I also know the NDP was a protest vote!

Oh yes, Alberta has some history of protest votes, but that doesn't invalidate the vote. Social credit in 1935 was a protest vote, they then stayed in power for 36 years after that. UFA (United Farmers of Alberta) before was a protest too and they governed for several terms until replaced by Social Credit.

We do occasionally kick the bastards out, as some might put it, but we seem to give them quite a generous opportunity to govern before doing that.

Oh yes, Alberta has some history of protest votes, but that doesn't invalidate the vote. Social credit in 1935 was a protest vote, they then stayed in power for 36 years after that. UFA (United Farmers of Alberta) before was a protest too and they governed for several terms until replaced by Social Credit.

We do occasionally kick the bastards out, as some might put it, but we seem to give them quite a generous opportunity to govern before doing that.
    I'll guess we'll see Dave.I for one, cannot wait for 2019..

https://globalnews.ca/news/16361y92/...r-byelections/

And don’t forget the Liberals and their rule. I love reminding friends that our grandparents voted in the Liberals.

Liberal rule in Alberta: 1905 - 1921 !!!

A look at Alberta’s election history since the province was created in 1905 | Globalnews.ca

“Nov. 9, 1905: Lawyer Alexander Rutherford, son of a Scots immigrant farmer, leads the Liberals to a lopsided victory over R.B. Bennett’s Conservatives, taking 22 of 25 legislature seats. Bennett goes on to become prime minister.

March 22, 1909: Liberals sweep the polls, winning 36 of 41 seats, largely due to support from farmers and immigrants. Rutherford, however, gets the boot. Public outrage over a generous contract awarded to a railway to build a line to Fort McMurray forces him to resign in 1910.

April 17, 1913: Liberals choose Alberta Chief Justice Arthur Sifton as premier in a bid to restore public trust. He leads them to their third consecutive victory – winning 39 of 56 seats – and into Prohibition. Women win the right to vote provincially in 1916.

June 7, 1917: Liberals keep their grip on power, winning 34 of 56 seats. Women vote for first time provincially, but must wait two more years for the right to vote federally. The first oil boom in Turner Valley goes bust. Alberta has one of the highest enlistment and casualty rates of the First World War. More than 45,000 head off to fight; more than 5,000 don’t return.

July 18, 1921: Farmers and miners, disenchanted with old-line parties, sweep Liberals from power. The United Farmers of Alberta, ...”

https://globalnews.ca/news/1982338/a...eated-in-1905/

And BTW, Kenny is a relative newcomer to western Canada and a more recent immigrant to Alberta. Don’t believe him or anyone that professes to know what “Albertans’ values” are or have been.
    Last edited by KC; 15-12-2017 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

https://globalnews.ca/news/16361y92/...r-byelections/

And don’t forget the Liberals and their rule. I love reminding friends that our grandparents voted in the Liberals.

Liberal rule in Alberta: 1905 - 1921 !!!

A look at Alberta’s election history since the province was created in 1905 | Globalnews.ca

“Nov. 9, 1905: Lawyer Alexander Rutherford, son of a Scots immigrant farmer, leads the Liberals to a lopsided victory over R.B. Bennett’s Conservatives, taking 22 of 25 legislature seats. Bennett goes on to become prime minister.

March 22, 1909: Liberals sweep the polls, winning 36 of 41 seats, largely due to support from farmers and immigrants. Rutherford, however, gets the boot. Public outrage over a generous contract awarded to a railway to build a line to Fort McMurray forces him to resign in 1910.

April 17, 1913: Liberals choose Alberta Chief Justice Arthur Sifton as premier in a bid to restore public trust. He leads them to their third consecutive victory – winning 39 of 56 seats – and into Prohibition. Women win the right to vote provincially in 1916.

June 7, 1917: Liberals keep their grip on power, winning 34 of 56 seats. Women vote for first time provincially, but must wait two more years for the right to vote federally. The first oil boom in Turner Valley goes bust. Alberta has one of the highest enlistment and casualty rates of the First World War. More than 45,000 head off to fight; more than 5,000 don’t return.

July 18, 1921: Farmers and miners, disenchanted with old-line parties, sweep Liberals from power. The United Farmers of Alberta, ...”

https://globalnews.ca/news/1982338/a...eated-in-1905/
    And BTW, Kenny is a relative newcomer to western Canada and a more recent immigrant to Alberta. Don’t believe him or anyone that professes to know what “Albertans’ values” are or have been.
    I do appreciate the additional history. I never did ask my grandmother who she voted for way back then. I also don't know what the voting age was then, but I believe she would have voted first some time after 1922.

Unfortunately for the Liberals (and others), hasn't been good luck for anyone getting a second chance again after they lost an election though. Probably doesn't apply to the UCP as they are a successor to the PC's not the PC's themselves, but one wonders whether this might sort of some how jinx and them they do have several former PC MLA's in their party now - the "Alberta" curse ... ha ha !!

So much for Alberta "always" having been conservative though.

The auction results are really great news. So much for the argument that more wind energy will drive up electricity prices.

I'm especially pleased that one of the wind projects will be located in the Hanna/Oyen area of east central Alberta. This area has a really good wind resource that is under-utilized, and the Hanna area will likely be losing the coal units at Sheerness.

More good news. TransAlta is speeding up the conversion of 4 units at Sundance and 2 units at Keephills from coal to natural gas (located near Wabamun west of Edmonton) by a year from 2022 to 2021.

http://www.transalta.com/about-us/coal-to-gas/
    The truth will slowly come out, it seems the real price is much higher, as there are backhanded subsidies to deflate the rate per hour:

http://calgaryherald.com/business/en...annual-subsidy

my dad owns a small business. he is almost 70 and is planning to start working 40 hours a week in January due to the minimum wage increase. He cannot afford to pay rising wages along with everything else going up such as transportation costs. He could raise prices but then he would lose customers. He isnt rich and maybe takes a week at the most of of vacation a year.

He put up all the risk of the business about 15 years ago. I remember some days at the start of opening he was making $40 a day. Yes today he is doing well off, but all his employees are mostly all students who live at home with their parents. So before people classify all business owners as "rich", remember not everyone is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by trick91 View Post
    my dad owns a small business. he is almost 70 and is planning to start working 40 hours a week in January due to the minimum wage increase. He cannot afford to pay rising wages along with everything else going up such as transportation costs. He could raise prices but then he would lose customers. He isnt rich and maybe takes a week at the most of of vacation a year.

He put up all the risk of the business about 15 years ago. I remember some days at the start of opening he was making $40 a day. Yes today he is doing well off, but all his employees are mostly all students who live at home with their parents. So before people classify all business owners as "rich", remember not everyone is the same.
    I wish the liberals/NDP knew this. We made an okay living with our business, but I'm glad we sold it when we did. They are making it harder, not easier to start up, and I really don't know why..

Quote Originally Posted by trick91 View Post

I wish the liberals/NDP knew this. We made an okay living with our business, but I'm glad we sold it when we did. They are making it harder, not easier to start up, and I really don't know why..
    Raising costs (through broad based taxes like the Carbon Tax, levies, user fees, regulations, less direct and indirect subsidization, higher minimum wages, etc) hits all businesses, whereas cutting business income taxes only helps profitable businesses. (However all this money circulates, it doesn’t vanish.)

To boost small business the NDP went the standard route of slashing small business income taxes. That doesn’t help a huge number of small businesses (many can manipulate their expenses and accounts to minimize taxes anyways). Start ups though tend to be money loosers for numbers of years therefore face a tougher uphill climb towards profitability.

So a pro entrepreneurship government would have to take a very different approach than we’ve seen in decades from any government.

Increasing costs can also reduce the absolute number of businesses that are profitable and so that can hit the government receipts but if they are collecting the taxes earlier, there’s less chance for financial engineering to cut revenue. That’s why the GST was a desirable tax - less ability for tax cheats to throw the burden onto everyone else.
    Last edited by KC; 16-12-2017 at 09:05 PM.

No they don't. I'm no great fan of Kenney but my guess is the NDP will be down to less than 10 seats in 2019, Liberals and Alberta Party will probably have about the same amount of seats as they do currently. So in 2019 UCP will probably get about 60 seats.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    No they don't. I'm no great fan of Kenney but my guess is the NDP will be down to less than 10 seats in 2019, Liberals and Alberta Party will probably have about the same amount of seats as they do currently. So in 2019 UCP will probably get about 60 seats.
    I agree. Even if everything the NDP was implementing was more conservative than what the UCP would do, all NDP actions would still be spun as leftist socialist calamity producing action.

I agree. Even if everything the NDP was implementing was more conservative than what the UCP would do, all NDP actions would still be spun as leftist socialist calamity producing action.
    Albertan's voted for what Notley portrayed as a new socially progressive but fiscally moderate NDP. If the NDP had come in, and done just one socialist economic idea, maybe just the higher wages without the carbon tax and personal tax hikes, and had at least tried to do something about the out of control spending (a path that left wing premiers like Stelmac and Redford irresponsibly started us down), then the economy would be rebounding now (esp jobs), and a second term would have been likely. But they didn't, like children finally getting into a cookie jar that had been kept from them for decades, Notley let her team dip too deeply into the left wing / socialist / green playbook (to the cheers of university elites with no real world experience). It will be a very long time before Alberta votes left again, this will go down with other Canadian NDP failures in economically successful provinces, as to why you don't vote for them. I'm sure left wingers will blame it all on oil prices, but the PC's managed to stay in power through far worse oil price crashes than what we just had for more than 40 years.

The NDP’s social-justice agenda is noble but it’s the icing on the cake. The problem is we don’t have much cake. The economy is experiencing a jobless recovery where companies are doing better but are afraid to hire back staff. Unemployment is still around 7.3 per cent in the province (compared to six per cent in Saskatchewan and 4.8 per cent in B.C.).

That’s why Kenney keeps hammering at the NDP on economic issues. And why the hammering is so effective.

Some observers wonder if the NDP should now slow down its agenda, maybe roll back its carbon tax or cancel hikes in the minimum wage.

That’s unlikely to happen. The NDP would be risking a backlash from its own supporters if it began reversing course.
    http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...4-6fab5c7a6121
    Last edited by moahunter; Yesterday at 10:58 AM. Reason: made more parsimonious

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post

Each party does that, the NDP take the UCP and spin it to the worst it can be..I do think the NDP are socialists, and if that's what you want fine, I don't..

It remains to be seen what the rest of AB wants though..
    Last edited by H.L.; Yesterday at 09:31 PM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Question about the carbon tax. This is applied to all residential and commercial users of natural gas in the province, we get to pay $1.xx per gigajoule for the privilege of consuming our own natural resources. Does any sort of carbon tax get applied to the gas we export ?
    If not, this is the most stupidest idea ever.
    It's a bit like saying all of North America will increased labour protection, environmental protection, emissions control , meanwhile all we are simply doing is exporting the problem to another part of the world. Just like what we do with all of the made in China stuff. Then it's sent on a boat burning bunker oil, processed in another jurisdiction, shipped on another boat and sent back to us.
    If pollution ignores boundaries, what are we really achieving ? nothing... We're simply hurting our on business.

Yes, I know we have to protect the environment, and be an example etc, etc.. I get that. but when other jurisdictions do not play by the same rules then economics takes over, it will become cheaper to export the raw material and let the manufacturing take place someplace else. It's a bit like water in a lake, water will also flows to the lowest level. If another jurisdiction does not apply the same standards we should be applying a carbon tax on value of the processed goods.

Now the real irony is that if we choose to abolish the carbon tax, the feds will simply apply their own, and they will reap the benefits ? It's demoralizing, how many of our businesses are struggling, and you know where it hurts... I was at the gym/ pool a few days ago, they are starting to lower the temperature in the pool/ showers to cut costs. Here we are, blessed with an abundance of resources , but yet some outside forces are making us feel guilty for having these resources, and our own government is choosing to punish us for having these resources.

Natural gas, coal, hydrocarbons are all NATURAL. Perhaps the fact that they were locked under the ground was a fluke or mistake. Perhaps we should be considering their intent and freeing the trapped carbon into the atmosphere ?? Are we so superior that we presume to know what nature intended ???

Sunday rant over.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789