Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should NAFTA-II include / exclude?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    And cut off all Uranium exports.
    Since that would account for about 25% of America's uranium usage. Australia accounts for the other 25%. Russia outputs about another 25% but we all know about US/Russia.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Maybe cut Trump's cable connection to Faux News and his twitter connection...

Watch him go nuclear...

Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 06-09-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Since that would account for about 25% of America's uranium usage. Australia accounts for the other 25%. Russia outputs about another 25% but we all know about US/Russia.
    Actually, a bit more than that when you're talking about natural Uranium.

US Uranium Imports by Supplying Country
    JULY 27, 2018

Canada: US$585.4 million (90.6% of US natural uranium imports)
    Kazakhstan: $46.2 million (7.2%)
    South Africa: $14.5 million (2.3%)
    Sweden: $74,000 (0.01%)
    Switzerland: $34,000 (0.01%)
    United Kingdom: $14,000 (0.002%)
    France: $13,000 (0.002%)
    Japan: $4,000 (0.001%)

http://www.worldstopexports.com/us-u...lying-country/

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ If I'm reading this right 90.6% of America's uranium imports come from Canada?

Uranium though can last a long time. Just a fistfull can power a nuclear sub for decades.

Beyond the military uses (reactors in ships/subs & weapons) Uranium is used in medicine for cancer treatment, civilian power generation, irradiation of food products to kill parasites, pests and bacteria, industry (including x-ray inspection in the auto and other industries).

The US uses a lot of Uranium.

C2E SME

That specifically says "natural uranium". I would assume that may not include processed or enriched uranium. But I admit I know nothing about uranium production, enrichment, trade etc.

The stuff is better for you than that "artificial" uranium.

Only buy the purest organic uranium grown in Canada!
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    That specifically says "natural uranium". I would assume that may not include processed or enriched uranium. But I admit I know nothing about uranium production, enrichment, trade etc.
    From the link:

Of the $2.1 billion in American uranium imports during 2017, 68.5% ($1.4 billion) was for enriched uranium while 31.5% ($646.3 million) encompassed purchases of natural uranium and related compounds.
    Canada provides 90% of the 31% of total.

So, they could try to replace it with more enriched Uranium, which costs more or they could try to find another supplier of natural Uranium which would take a while because they'd have to ramp up production. Either way, it would hit them pretty hard with ~25% of their total supply disappearing overnight.
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 07-09-2018 at 02:18 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Beyond the military uses (reactors in ships/subs & weapons) Uranium is used in medicine for cancer treatment, civilian power generation, irradiation of food products to kill parasites, pests and bacteria, industry (including x-ray inspection in the auto and other industries).

I'm well aware that uranium is used for other things, thanks I just used that as an example. The US needs about 50 million pounds of uranium each year to power their 100 reactors. if we cut out their uranium, they could be in for some serious trouble if they don't find another source. Russia?
    Last edited by envaneo; 07-09-2018 at 12:01 PM.

It would take a lot of time to ramp up new sources and it would have to include additional transportation costs as well. Right now, it's as close as northern Saskatchewan.

I'm well aware that uranium is used for other things, thanks I just used that as an example. The US needs about 50 million tons of uranium each year to power their 100 reactors. if we cut out their uranium, they could be in for some serious trouble if they don't find another source. Russia?
    I think you have your units incorrect. Not 50 million tons but 50 million pounds.

As countries are not able to supply their own needs of uranium economically, countries have resorted to importing uranium ore from elsewhere. For example, owners of U.S. nuclear power reactors bought 67 million pounds (30 kt) of natural uranium in 2006. Out of that 84%, or 56 million pounds (25 kt), were imported from foreign suppliers, according to the Energy Department.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_uranium

I'd rather C2E than work!

We could also be annexed.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    We could also be annexed.
    Annexation movements of Canada - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annexa...ents_of_Canada

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Canada produces ~ 20 % of the worlds uranium. That's our ace in the hole

Interesting article:

Lessons on negotiating free trade | The Kingston Whig-Standard

Excerpts:

“During the 1983 federal Progressive Conservative leadership campaign, Mulroney had opposed free trade with the United States. However, John Crosbie, a minister in Mulroney’s cabinet, writes in his 1997 political memoir, “No Holds Barred: My Life in Politics,” that his former boss had a change of heart after becoming prime minister. Crosbie speculates that the Macdonald Commission’s embrace of “the notion” of free trade with the United States “probably ...”

“However, Crosbie pulls no punches when assessing the Americans’ negotiating tactics. “The Americans are bully boys,” he writes. And he asserts that “they are bully boys with or without a free trade agreement.”

The difference is that with a free trade agreement in place, it provides Canada with “a few better means of protecting ourselves,” he says of the importance of rules-based trade.

“The more we can get world trade rules codified, the better off we will be as the weaker partner in our relationship with the United States,” Crosbie concludes. And he points out that huge powers, such as the U.S. and the EU, can protect themselves by applying countervailing duties and blocking imports.

However, Crosbie stresses that “as a middle power, it’s in Canada’s interest to have rules and a system for adjudicating disputes.”

Negotiating lessons
    ...”

https://www.thewhig.com/opinion/colu...ing-free-trade

I wonder if Trump’s tariffs on China may mean that we will benefit from China dumping here.

Canada produces ~ 20 % of the worlds uranium. That's our ace in the hole
    Didn’t Russia buy most of it?
    (We can be their slave labour.)

Nope, the company that Russia bout from a Canadian firm is mining in the US and cannot export any of it. Doesn't affect imports of Canadian Uranium at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12