Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Edmonton Eskimos 2017 Season

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

C2E Continued Contributor

^ Nice schedule, Friday & Saturday games only which makes sense.
    I thought the CFL maybe had came to their sense regarding Thursday games, but looking at the complete league it turns out to be just a quirk in the schedule that the Esks have no home Thursday games (they have 3 road games on Thursdays). Any one have any idea why the league insists on playing games on Thursdays (or any day other than Friday, Saturday, Sunday), other than instances where they are trying to squeeze two games into one week for a team, which only happens once in 2017? At least when it comes to the Esks, Thursday games have historically always been the least attended games of the season, I'm not really sure what benefit the league sees in them.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Top_Dawg has heard it said that it is primarily targeted at the Ontario fan base.

During the summer, a lot of people take either a full day or half day off on Fridays to get up to cottage country.

Their last day in town is Thursday and the CFL tries to encourage them to either attend a live game, or at least watch it on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    ^ Nice schedule, Friday & Saturday games only which makes sense.
    I thought the CFL maybe had came to their sense regarding Thursday games, but looking at the complete league it turns out to be just a quirk in the schedule that the Esks have no home Thursday games (they have 3 road games on Thursdays). Any one have any idea why the league insists on playing games on Thursdays (or any day other than Friday, Saturday, Sunday), other than instances where they are trying to squeeze two games into one week for a team, which only happens once in 2017? At least when it comes to the Esks, Thursday games have historically always been the least attended games of the season, I'm not really sure what benefit the league sees in them.
    Top Dawg covered it but it features Nationwide. In Alberta as well people used to go camping or head out to the mountains on weekends more than they do. The Esks had done studies that suggested part of their fan base were also RV weekend warriors and thus went with some Thursday games to allow those people to attend. I really think though since then there has been less per capita segment of fans that go out of town on weekends. Also probably less of a cross section as CFL moves to attract young fans who really aren't that big into camping or RVing.

Finally, with the economy the way it is theres a lot more staycation going on so people are available to go to weekend games.

Also just to add to Dawgs post Winnipeg is also big on Cottage country.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

TSN has a schedule to fill.

This is the best Eskimo schedule in recent memory.

The Esks get about 50% of their revenue from tickets and game day revenue, versus roughly 15% from the league for the national TV deal. I would say its more important for the team to make sure the games are scheduled for when more people are able/wanting to attend.

I would say that too.

Bowman's new contract is the highest paid non QB contract in CFL. Had the Esks over a barrel due to Walkers expected departure. I like Bowman but its a high price for the CFL. Plus Bowman got a handsome signing bonus.

Maas needs to have a more original offense olaybook next season to make up for the departure of Walker.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

#CFL sources say Shamawd Chambers is close to finalizing a deal to return to the #Eskimos

C2E Long Term Contributor

I find some of the reasons for firing Hervey rather odd. A contract extension dispute is understandable, but Rhodes' biggest complaint is lack of player accessibility?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Does seem odd. It should be a league policy that the media has access to the players, not individual team policies. Not a good reason to let go a GM that has a winning record.

Hervey bullied his way right out the Eskimos' door
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2017/04/0...e-eskimos-door

I can't believe what I read, assuming I read it correctly. So Terry Jones of the SUN is glad Hervey got the boot because he's been leading the charge towards more media access? Funny, I assumed that the role of a sports GM was to build a winning team, not be chummy with the local news hacks. I've always thought that some members of the local sports media had an over-inflated sense of entitlement and this is ample proof of that.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I didn't see a comment section under that turd of an article.

The Edmonton Journal version of the article has a comments section
    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/fo...e-eskimos-door

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

I can't believe what I read, assuming I read it correctly. So Terry Jones of the SUN is glad Hervey got the boot because he's been leading the charge towards more media access? Funny, I assumed that the role of a sports GM was to build a winning team, not be chummy with the local news hacks. I've always thought that some members of the local sports media had an over-inflated sense of entitlement and this is ample proof of that.
    I don't think you read it correctly. Only half of a GM's job is building a winning team. The other half is promoting that team, something all CFL teams are needing. His actions in closing the dressing room, fighting the mic-ed up thing, stopping the Esks tradition of that day with sick kids at K-Days, and general reticence to be gracious with community relations is what tipped the scales.

It's not just about "being chummy with hacks" - it's about being chummy with the community, and Hervey was anything but good in that regard, on multiple occasions.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

NO the GM's job is building a winning team with people of good character.

This is a team that has a weak Board of Directors and a CEO that has proven himself to be clueless.

It wasn't the BoD or CEO that shut out the local media.
    It wasn't the BoD or CEO that faffed around with the TSN agreement for the open-mic thing.
    It wasn't the BoD or CEO that stopped the Esks' kids day.

Sounds like the BoD and CEO smartened up and got rid of the guy who did.

Yes they got rid of the guy who got them a Grey Cup.
    I guess they better get rid of the head coach now too!
    Ed Hervey backed his coaches and took their hits, something good bosses will do.

I wonder if Hervey took Terry Jones' doughnuts away!

I'll miss Ed Hervey. Omg he didnt wanted to have a mic on during a game ( which I think is rubbish) is Jason next..fools, bloody fools. See how the fans like this Mr Rhodes!

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    Ed Hervey backed his coaches and took their hits, something good bosses will do.

They also got rid of a guy who made the team look like a bunch of dicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post

I never thought of them as a bunch of those, I suppose they all have them though..

So what exactly is more important for a GM? Building and retaining a winning team, or media availability and TSN open mics?

You got any proof that Hervey cancelled the K-Days event with sick kids? I couldn't find anything on this. I would think there would have been a massive uproar over that if it was true; and if Jones is the great sports journalist he thinks he is, wouldn't he have mentioned that in his article and tweets to strengthen his anti-Hervey agenda?

In any case, the Esks players themselves were and are still heavily involved in the community, and have always been available to the media during on-field practices and games, so it's not like Hervey built a Trumpian wall around Commonwealth Stadium.

Terry Jones has always been like this. Decades ago he had a hate campaign going against Glenn Anderson because this star player eventually got disgusted with the media and stopped talking to them. As a fan I loved it, and thought great, a player sticking it to these jackals.

But Terry wrote article after article about what a Cancer Glenn Anderson was because he wouldn't talk to media etc. Disgustingly the media basically carved Anderson on his brief return here in the 90's. They looked at any angle to see anything wrong with him or see if they could find any player on the team who felt that Glenn was ascerbic, which he was.

So FF and jones, typically, is writing this pos article.

As an Esks fan Hervey was great, I loved what he did here as a player, and then as a GM. Too bad Rhodes won't fire himself. I'm disgusted that Hervey got the boot and for the reasons listed. Any Eskimos fan I know, and everybody here was behind and in support of hervey and Maas opposition to the utterly stupid live mic thing.

This is no Rhodes scholar we got here. A central tenant in running any org is to not fix what isn't broken. Nor will Hervey's firing add fans, it will disgust the ones that are there.

NO the GM's job is building a winning team with people of good character.

This is a team that has a weak Board of Directors and a CEO that has proven himself to be clueless.
    Exactly. It boggles the mind that anybody could support Rhodes in this. After a longtime of suffering the Esks finally have a GM that puts together a good GC level lineup and he gets canned. At the worst possible time with TC and the season approaching.

This is indescribably stupid.

I go to games, but don't currently have Seasons Seats. If I had them I would be asking for a refund at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post

The dicks were the idiots like Rhodes that dreamed up the player mic gimmick and thought it would matter to anybody. Putting that ahead of the product on the field or the sanctity of a teams plays and play book, and the pathetic way the Esks were handled by TSN and the commish on this matter and forcing the Esks to use the mics in the game before playoffs. The whole saga was reprehensible and I adore and applaud Maas and Hervey being resistant to a gimmick that was inherently stupid.

Want to increase attendance? Revisit play reviews, maybe increase the team cap once in awhile so teams can keep better talent, increase roster size so injuries don't decimate and have a required IQ test for game officials. The problem with the product is that bizarre officiating and reviews have impacted far too many game results and taken away from the product on the field. Do something about that.

Chris Jones canceled the Monday Morning Magic in 2014. It conflicted with his scheduling of the team and he likely thought the Eskimos were volunteering to do it. Terry Jones made a huge issue out of it yet never targeted the Oilers for not volunteering. The Eskimos returned to volunteer at MMM the next and subsequent years.

There are many things that Len Rhodes could do to improve the team but he obviously doesn't know what they are. As long as he can slap another corporate logo somewhere and get a few bucks for that he thinks he has done his job.

Its an easy call, get rid of Terry Jones..

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    Good luck with that one.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    Good luck with that one.

I should have put...J/K

Coehoorn announced his retirement. That's a plus, addition by subtraction. The water boy might get more yac yds. What a complete of a roster spot this guy was over a decade. Willis responds by slamming Coehoorn suggesting its not health related retirement, just that Nate didn't like his contract offer. Man, whatever the Esks were paying this guy was too much.

Hey, Hervey if you are out there it sucks you were fired. Know that you are, and were, beloved and will be remembered. Wish you were still here, a lot of fans disagree with the *direction* this org is going.

Read a strange article in the paper this week. Headline read that Hervey is a hard man to reign in. So why reign him in? How about respect his vision, his viewpoint, and treat him like he knows what he's doing. Which is more than I can about Rhodes. This was all about Rhodes needing to be in control. Small man syndrome all over this.

For the first time ever, I am now an Edmonton Eskimos season ticket holder!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Welcome to the Evil Empire

The Edmonton Eskimos are expected to announce this week that Brock Sunderland will be the team’s new General Manager.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Slick.

Despite the extremely questionable actions of the Eskimos' team president just over a month ago, I'm looking forward to the upcoming football season. I'm hoping that new GM Brock Sunderland (seemingly a solid hire under terrible circumstances) and the rest of the personnel dept. can come up with some badly-needed gems for the secondary like they did with Grymes, Ojo, McCoil, etc. a few years ago. A buddy of mine whose son played at Boise State says that Mercy Maston could end up being a keeper here.

That was pretty sick. I was really hoping to see some giant collision at the end with Reilly ripping his way into the endzone though.

Good signing for Esks' secondary today... http://www.esks.com/2017/05/26/forre...ns-green-gold/

Also, a bigger name signing that I see having less impact... http://www.esks.com/2017/05/26/chris...ns-green-gold/

Would be cool if Ryan joined the Oilers and the brothers both lived here.

Eskimo's Fan Day:
    Quote Originally Posted by www.esks.com
    GET ON THE FIELD AT FAN DAY

SATURDAY, JUNE 3, 1 – 4 PM- FIELD LEVEL @ THE BRICK FIELD AT COMMONWEALTH STADIUM

FREE ADMISSION
    Eskimos practice followed by a full team autograph session.
    Interactive kid’s activities • Face painting • Balloon animals • BBQ • Live DJ
    Esks Cheer Team performance • NEW! Beer gardens (must be 18+ with valid ID)

Entrance through Gate 6 & 9, accessibility assistance available.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Terry Jones: Edmonton to host 2018 Grey Cup

A press conference to announce Edmonton as the site for the 106th Grey Cup, your correspondent has learned, will be held next week.

The fifth Grey Cup hosting in Edmonton’s history, the 2018 event will celebrate the 40th anniversary of Commonwealth Stadium and the completion of 70 seasons of Edmonton Eskimos football.

Previous Grey Cups were held here in 1984, 1997, 2002 and 2010, drawing crowds of 60,081, 60,431, 62,531 and 63,317, respectively.

Edmonton followed Calgary 2009 in back-to-back Grey Cups held in the province. Like Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg have previously hosted the game four times. Regina has held three.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/fo...-2018-grey-cup

Eskimos release international D lineman Aston Whiteside and moved International linebacker Jeramiah Kose to the suspended list.
    https://www.esks.com/2017/06/13/eskimos-transaction-29/

This hasn't been mentioned here but just want to shout out Mike Reilly for his nonstop class. He had heard of Larry Highbaugh passing away in the offseason and so he volunteered to relinguish the 13# jersey further to Larry bein commemorated and perhaps the Jersey retired. This wasn't something anybody had said to Mike. He initiated this of his own sense of Eskimo way, pride, sense of history. This guy is such a throwback and just a great individual among the many gifts he brings on the field. I wouldn't know, but I would imagine Reilly is a guy anybody would want to block for, play for, play on the same team with, etc. I just love having him as an Edmonton Eskimo. Every season we have him, every game, its a feeling of watching a legend I'll never forget. Hope he gets a couple more rings here to put him up there as this is a player who is truly special.

Of course RIP to Larry Highbaugh, another player I really loved here and that was very involved in the community and took on a lot here. In addition to being a fantastic player and all round athlete.

People say the CFL game isn't special, it isn't big league, we sure get our share of great and legendary individuals that have played for the club.

This is a special football club with some special players that keeps being special.

So yesterday Top_Dawg watched the Saskatchewan vs Montreal game.

If ever there is a game where Top_Dawg wished both teams would lose, this would be it.
    A field goal with no time on the clock to win it - and of course the dumb hayseeds *** it up.

Hey, did any of youz guyz see the halftime show with that gymnast doing those aerial flips ?

That was the best part of the game.

She was amazing.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 23-06-2017 at 09:08 AM.

I missed the game, but my roommate told me it was pretty good. He told me Sask "out-lost" MTL.

Saskatchewan are supposed to be awful, but I'd be surprised if MTL doesn't get better with Durant at Q, coached by Calvillo.

Should be a better one tonight with a Grey Cup repeat - Stamps vs Redblacks
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Go Red Blacks!

I mean only against Calgary..

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    So yesterday Top_Dawg watched the Saskatchewan vs Montreal game.

Hey, did any of youz guyz see the halftime show with that gymnast doing those aerial flips ?

That was the best part of the game.

She was amazing.
    I was quite amazed by it. Imagine a gymnast doing aerial balance-beam stuff but off a 12-foot 2-by-6 on the shoulders of two strapping lads who would propel her into the air with the spring action of the 2-by-6. Cirque-du-Soleil kinda stuff.

Pretty Meh game but I was happy Montreal won.

Eskimos manage to hold off the Lions, who, frankly, beat themselves in this game. Two teams seemingly trying to keep from blowing it all game, and mostly failing.

Such is the start of the CFL season.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

C2E SME

The Lions were bad on field goals and converts last night.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Eskimos manage to hold off the Lions, who, frankly, beat themselves in this game. Two teams seemingly trying to keep from blowing it all game, and mostly failing.

Such is the start of the CFL season.
    In fairness to the Eskimos they played almost the entire game without Their starting Linebacker Sherritt. How would the Leos be doing with that huge an injury? Plus that over the last 2 seasons the Esks, due to success, and having some real ringers in the lineup have lost some players to the NFL. Last year they could throw somebody like Lacey in and not miss a beat. Now he's gone too. Plus obviously the pain in losing Walker.

The Esks are on the road last night, with a success and injury depleted lineup, and they pull out a W. The Leos have had no such adversity.

There sure were some monkey calls last night as well. That first catch by Duke Williams. How could the officials call that out of bounds? Anytime a Lion receiver was hauling down a sideline pass they were calling it a reception in an instant. Also late in the game a brutal spot on what was seemingly a Bowman first down. Bowman forward point of progress, where he caught the ball, was a first down. They spotted it where he was pushed back, thus the Esks having to punt the ball.

All told I thought the Eskimos executed better, had more offensive flow, and were the better club all day. Leos caught some breaks on big plays but other than that had trouble moving the yard sticks. The Esks D played pretty good against a vaunted offence tat has been together a long time.

Anyway a positive outing and the Esks look to have replaced Walker, if that is even possible. Williams, Zylstra, had big games. Its quite something when Bowman only gets 17yds and the Esks still manage to win a road game without their top receiver having a big game, and top linebacker. I'll take it, Leos are one of the best 4 clubs in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    The Lions were bad on field goals and converts last night.
    This was one of the worst outings by a kicker I have witnessed. Missed multiple converts, FG's and punt assignments in a single game. He botched around 7-8 boots all told. This guy should probably be cut. Not sure who he is but he was garbage.

All positions are integral though and a better run Esks club has a ringer in Whyte. Its why you make sure you have strength in every spot in the lineup.

Aside from that Jennings is a hard QB to contain at home. He's much better in BC. He always seems to start seasons redhot as well. He does less well when the pressure mounts in the season or playoffs.

Reilly has now beat the Leos 6/7 times. I'll take that too. This is rubbing it in at this point.
    Last edited by Replacement; 25-06-2017 at 11:34 AM.

I think the kicker has to be gone. Maybe it's the holder. But that's just brutal, and it rips the guts out of your team.

As usual the play at the start of the season is a little shaky, and that extends to the refs as well.

Eskimos definitely stole one last night. BC shot themselves in the foot repeatedly by missing all those extra points, but full credit to the Esks for taking advantage of it to get the win.

That injury to Sherritt is bad news. Weird how it happened, too - he was just kind of standing there and he suddenly hurt his ankle. Hopefully it isn't too serious and he recovers soon.

It also appears that the Esks have some great receivers this year. It looks like both Williams and Zylstra could have better seasons than Bowman!

As the TSN guys were saying, Adam Konar looked really good as a linebacker. He is only 23 and a Canadian, bonus!

John White had 100 yards rushing. Having him in the backfield is another threat for the Edmonton offence to utilize.

I'll be at the home opener on June 30. It will be a good start to the Canada Day long weekend!

Bowman will be fine. He's not always the fastest starter and he was seeing a lot of coverage and double teams at times thus allowing others to get open. He was actually the decoy on the winning TD toss to Zylstra. The Leos were more worried about covering Bowman. That's the way it goes sometimes and you take it, because it helps your club if the opposition D is keying too much on some guys.

They'll be days soon enough when Zylstra and Duke are getting the focus.

The great thing is we actually have a better receiving core this season. Coehoorn is gone, what a plus, and we have more depth now at receiver position through the lineup and with every guy capable of making some plays.

We didn't even insert Getzlaf, Chambers or Stafford. The Esks receiving depth is just sick. WE have about 5 depth receivers that are better talents than Coehoorn who was mostly just occupying a spot and was seldom an effective target.

Look at this list of receivers;

Bowman
    Zylstra
    Williams
    Hazelton
    Chambers
    Stafford
    Getzlaf
    Watson

Then we got Calvin McCarty out of the backfield making a hilite reel catch and always capable of something like that and we can utilize White out of the backfield as well except that along with his running and great blocking he's already doing enough on every play.

This is possibly the deepest Receiving squad in the history of the Eskimos, if not the CFL.

For opponents, who do you key on? Everybody as it turns out.

Reilly had an off day missing some big passes out there that would have gone for 6 and we still got it done. Reilly too usually has a questionable first game or two. When this offense gets untracked look out.
    Last edited by Replacement; 25-06-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    This is possibly the deepest Receiving squad in the history of the Eskimos, if not the CFL.
    To this day I think the Esks' best ever receiving corps was in 2005 when they had Mitchell, Vaughn, Hervey, and Tucker. That is tough to top.

This year's group looks REALLY good, though. I agree that it's maybe the best in the CFL.

Yeah, hard to argue with that top 4 receivers but tbh I don't remember who the Esks even had after that on the depth chart that year. Plus, and I'm not sure why, but Mitchell didn't really wow me here. I thought his best days had passed. I loved the other 3.

But breaking it down Bowman equals Hervey. Stats wise Adarius is arguably better.

Williams is still a wild card at this point but talent wise is in Tuckers league.

We have no Vaughn in this set but Zylstra is the closest thing to a big banging receiver that is hard to bring down on YAC yds. (Bowman as well)

But really astounded me looking at is the depth. We're not dressing receivers some clubs would be happy to have. So much game experience in the lineup not even dressing that we can call upon and so different wrinkles for Opponents to look at every week.

What I like most about it is we have 8 guys that can catch the ball well. We're not even growing anybody into the position. These guys are all accomplished and can be relied upon. Reilly has a wealth of riches to throw the ball around to. I'm looking forward to it. Hope we insert Franklin in more as well to give D's something different to worry about.

Mitchell didn't really wow me here. I thought his best days had passed.
    May I remind you of this 3rd down gamble in the Grey Cup that year?

https://youtu.be/b3wjf1lU1HY?t=141

Isolated play and tbh I've put that GC, particularly, out of my mind as a strange saga and game in which I thought the Esks didn't play that well and still won. Plus ***** running onto the field thinking the game is over when Montreal still had one down left. The strongest indication to that point that Macciocia was a blithering *****.

In anycase Mitchell was age 33, 34, as an Eskimo. He wasn't the same player he was formerly in Toronto. I thought Hervey, Vaughn, Tucker were electric players and they would regularly get me out of my seat. Plus I thought of them as Eskimos first. I never really thought that of Mitchell and always kind of felt this was a player just here for a short ride and a pay day. Just didn't get into the player here (would be different if I was an Argos fan).

The play in question is not spectacular, and no I don't remember it at all. I see Esks recievers make a catch like that nearly every game. To me it looked like a broken coverage by the Als and the coverage coming back and almost making the play against a slower Mitchell.

This was also the first period in time where Ricky Ray was useless, had gone 7 games without throwing a TD, and without Maas the Esks wouldn't have even been in the GC. Ray was poor in this game as well putting 13pts up in 58mins of football and doing basically nothing all game between the clubs quick start, and the last gasp TD pass.

Ray had great receivers to work with but at times was maddingly inconsistent. I still shudder at the nickle and dime offense that would play conservative most of the games.

"The much maligned Ricky Ray" haha, I disliked his play even back then. Seems I wasn't alone.
    Last edited by Replacement; 26-06-2017 at 10:02 AM.

The play in question is not spectacular, and no I don't remember it at all. I see Esks recievers make a catch like that nearly every game.
    WHAT?! That was a 35 yard pass on a 3rd down and 4 with less than 2 minutes to go in the game! They miss that first down and the Als probably win the Grey Cup! And that was no broken play - Mitchell himself said that was the play they called in the huddle.

I didn't say it was a broken play I said it was broken coverage. You can see the Defender trying to recover to the ball but the coverage was weak on the play and only looked tight by the time a Slow Ray pass got there. Mitchell never didn't have burn speed in Edmonton, his legs were mostly gone.

The reason I don't see the play as heroic at all is the Esks should have had a sufficient margin of victory established in the first half. The offense was sputtering all game under the direction of Ray and just like it had for half a season prior to that. The Esks offense scored 13pts in 58mins and a long stretch of the game, most of it, where they were only able to get one measly FG. Without a return TD the esks aren't even in one score position as Mitchell hauled in that grab.

My honest response to that game? When is Jason Maas coming in. That was about it.
    Last edited by Replacement; 26-06-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Not good - JC Sherritt is out for season with achilles tendon injury.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Really unfortunate. He's been bitten by some long term injuries over the last 5 years since his breakout season.

The worst thing is we had the other linebacker injured, and out for the year during Traning Camp, We lost Lacey to the NFL, now Sherritt. That's what I was saying during the game its amazing how well the Esks were able to do given the holes and basically having to put out 4th and 5th choices at linebacker.

It was obvious from the word go it was an Achilles. This comes as no surprise.

JC has lots of heart, lots of try, and plays every play and every drive. You know with him you are always getting his best. He's a leader. But we do have the Mayor left and he's even more critical now. I think the D leadership comes from the frontline. One thing though is I think JC has lost a step and is past his best. The injuries have taken a toll even before this one. So this forces the Esks to go scrambling for somebody. I don't know that we can continue as is. In the Leos game the frontline dominated thus making it easier for the linebacker core. The frontline was really good at filling gaps and keeping in lanes. They were incredible. I don't know that your going to be able to do that in every game.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I came close to winning 2 tickets for tonight's game.

I wonder if there's going to be any announcement at the game tonight over Dave Semenko's passing away?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Looking forward to tonight! GO ESKS GO!
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

This Eskimos team should be fun to watch this year. Looking forward to tonight as well!

If tonight's contest is anywhere near as entertaining as last night's tilt between the Stampeders and Redblacks we're in for some great football.

Love CFL football.

Well, that was of an ugly win for the Eskimos.

Well, that was of an ugly win for the Eskimos.
    Same as the last two seasons. The Eskimos make it more difficult for themselves. That's why we fans are on the verge of a heart attack.

This game was weird all round. Seems both clubs had trouble handling the ball. Anything to do with the 150 striping they put on the ball? I'm grasping at straws but the ball handling was bizarre. When you see even Reilly fumbling the ball twice on one play you start to wonder.

Aside from that all the challenges, delays, officials trying to figure out what their call is etc had the game go at a snails pace. I would have went to the game except I have a damned head cold. Would not have been able to enjoy it. That said watching the games these days on Telly is harder. Heres a typical sequence. Commercials. Return for team having a two and out, more commercials. team punts the ball, more commercials. (This sequence actually occurred once in the game)

The other day I was able to watch Germany beat Mexico in the Confederation Cup and not one commercial, just contiguous 45min halves of play. The struggle in watching our Football is flow of play. That's invariably a difficulty with getting fans amped or glued to the action. But when all sorts of other delays occur regularly and slow the game right down to pause its hard to get as into it.

Anyway the Esks made enough bad plays to keep the game close. They made enough good plays to win it.

Final note. I detest Rod Blacks announcing. Its always anti Esks digs. He's always seeing the game in favor of the opponent. For instance once stating. "It was all Als early on" When in fact the two Riders scores occurred because of two weird John White Fumbles. Later in the game he suggests the Als should have the game in control on the basis of play. This stated while the Esks had 6more first downs and 65more yds offense.

Finally one play where Als are clearly offside. "looks like the Esks drive stalled"

I listen to Blacks comments and its like he's trolling Esks viewers with these comments. Dunnigan got audibly annoyed with him a few times.

Now a post on injuries. This starting out like another cursed year for the Esks. Already top two linebackers injured, both out for the year. Now top RB out, out for the year. Its game 2. In past years we've played with top QB and top RB out. What other team has this much injury trouble to key players. When do the Stamps ever play all season without Bo or somebody like that?

That was painful to watch White grimacing and holding his leg and later despondent as his mother, there to watch her son, has to see this happen. I felt for both of them. But now two huge injuries in two GP. Many, that kind of attrition can kill the team. I think the Esks overall offense took a huge hit after White went down albeit he was horrible to that point in the game fumbling twice.

On a positive note a very solid team kept soldiering on and managed to get the win when distractions like injuries must make it tough and make everybody a bit worried out there. I was holding my breath almost every time Reilly was scrambling. Just seems like terrible injuries are happening.

Reilly was 75% in last nights game which is amazing considering his receivers flat out dropped 7 passes, 6 of which were near perfect throws. Reilly finished 27/36 despite this which is simply amazing. Reilly also rushed for two key first downs in addition to his several QB sneaks for first downs.

Bowman got the nod for player of the game but I have no idea how it wasn't Reilly. Either player on either club including Bowman would say it was Reilly.

Theres few other QB's in the league, if any, that would end up on the winning end of this game given his recievers poor play and White fumbling twice in own zone.

Reilly had almost everything to do with this win. After his first series in which he threw two off target passes he was gold. Reilly in his last 34 throws I would say 32 of them were right on the money. Including quite a few times airing it out.

Next Esks game (July 14 vs Ottawa) has a big 50/50 pot
    https://www.esks.com/2017/07/06/offi...-carry-july-1/

Was at last night's Esks game, my first one in over a year.

One thing that strikes me about an Esks game at Commonwealth vs an Oilers game at Rogers is the speed and efficiency of the services. Plenty of washrooms to choose from, so no ridiculous lineups to take care of biological matters. Huge concession area so no long waits for drinks or food, although the food still doesn't appeal to me. Wide concourse so you're not crushed by a wall of people. The lineups for the 50/50 were long but moved very quickly.

The game itself, as per most football games, had stretches where I was at the edge of my seat and others where I was bored out of my mind. Sadly I missed the last couple of minutes of the 2nd quarter when they bounced back past the Reds.

After the game, I avoided the LRT logjam and walked back downtown using the bike path that ran next to the LRT line. The Matchbox 20 gig at Rogers Place was letting out by the time I got there, so I walked around for a bit. The streets were busy. Many restaurants and bars were filled with people in Esks and Matchbox shirts, there was even a lineup to get into Kellys. About 3 blocks of Jasper Ave plus part of 101 St were both down to one lane per direction, which made for a traffic jam.

Great night overall!
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 15-07-2017 at 11:29 AM. Reason: self-grammar-policing

The longest I have ever had to wait to get on the LRT from a football game was the second possible train.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Me and mine usually sit in the gimp section by the scoreboard when I get a chance to go. Not sure how the 50/50 works but are the tickets only purchased at the game. Could the 50-50 tickets not be bought online and picked up at one of the gates before the game?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I couldn't help but feel bad for the lady that didn't win the $1 Million prize on Thursday. Anyone want to bet that during the CFL off season the sponsors are going to rethink this to 3 kick off punt returns in a game? Consolation prize not withstanding but #Collusion.

One thing that strikes me about an Esks game at Commonwealth vs an Oilers game at Rogers is the speed and efficiency of the services. Plenty of washrooms to choose from, so no ridiculous lineups to take care of biological matters. Huge concession area so no long waits for drinks or food, although the food still doesn't appeal to me. Wide concourse so you're not crushed by a wall of people. The lineups for the 50/50 were long but moved very quickly.
    Although I generally agree with some of what you say if the Oilers were drawing 12,000 at Rogers we could probably cartwheel through the concourse, too.

I wasn't at the game but there were 36K+ at Commonwealth which is the highest attended game in the league so far. I read through a few recaps via various news outlets this morning and not one mentioned the attendance outside of the the Edmonton publications. Not that it matters but it's curious that a league that needs to figure out how to put butts in the seats wasn't all over this.

Quote Originally Posted by magnum74 View Post
    Although I generally agree with some of what you say if the Oilers were drawing 12,000 at Rogers we could probably cartwheel through the concourse, too.

I wasn't at the game but there were 36K+ at Commonwealth which is the highest attended game in the league so far. I read through a few recaps via various news outlets this morning and not one mentioned the attendance outside of the the Edmonton publications. Not that it matters but it's curious that a league that needs to figure out how to put butts in the seats wasn't all over this.
    The league is all over pretending that Montreal, Toronto, or even Saskatchewan are the most important franchises. Despite Edmonton perennially being among the league leaders in attendance and never worse than 2nd. There was an article a few weeks about attendance league wide that said Montreal, Winnipeg, Sask, Calgary had such great attendance and didn't mention Edmonton. The article specifically mentioned EVERY other club in the league and its fans and not once mentioned Edmonton, or the Eskimos.

In anycase the room and space at Commonwealth is pretty good considering its a one concourse build although the addition merchandise/food courts help spread out the crowd. It felt more crowded before those additions. Mind you the Esks used to get 40K attendance.

The league is all over pretending that Montreal, Toronto, or even Saskatchewan are the most important franchises. Despite Edmonton perennially being among the league leaders in attendance and never worse than 2nd. There was an article a few weeks about attendance league wide that said Montreal, Winnipeg, Sask, Calgary had such great attendance and didn't mention Edmonton. The article specifically mentioned EVERY other club in the league and its fans and not once mentioned Edmonton, or the Eskimos.

In anycase the room and space at Commonwealth is pretty good considering its a one concourse build although the addition merchandise/food courts help spread out the crowd. It felt more crowded before those additions. Mind you the Esks used to get 40K attendance.
    Being that the CFL has only 4 games per week I think it would be great if they picked a day and all teams played. Whether it's Friday night football or Saturday afternoon football etc. if there was one day per week when everybody across the country could rally around for beers and watch the league at the same time it might help. The random scheduling for so few teams is ridiculous.

Mike Reilly once again a modern day heros snatching a win out of the clutches of defeat. His task tonight? Move the ball 75yds in 70 secs requiring a TD to win the game. He completely the task in 43 secs, probably less but for Hamilton friendly time keeping. Nobody manages a clock better than Reilly or has complete control of his offense in the clutch.

The broadcast cued it up nicely as well. Showing Reilly on the sidelines playing pitch, toss, catch with no nerves as if he's on a field playing with kids. Except when he gets on the field he makes every opponent look like kids. Just eviscerates the Hamilton D for fun all the way down the field. Pin point catch and runs on the play. Everything complete, every play worked.

Every week I watch Mike Reilly is another episode I won't forget. He's my favorite Esks QB since the 70's. Does nothing but lead the team to wins.

meanwhile Collaros for the Ticats continues to look like an amateur today throwing up around half a dozen balls that could have been picked, a few were.

Hamilton fans were actually cheering for Reilly. That's how amazing a player he is. Almost every city they recognize they want this guy. We're lucky to have him.

Quote Originally Posted by magnum74 View Post

Being that the CFL has only 4 games per week I think it would be great if they picked a day and all teams played. Whether it's Friday night football or Saturday afternoon football etc. if there was one day per week when everybody across the country could rally around for beers and watch the league at the same time it might help. The random scheduling for so few teams is ridiculous.
    It's the money. Four broadcasts-worth (12 hours vs. 3 hours) of ad. revenue being better than one.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

The Eskimos have been impressive the way they've been able to fill injured key player spots. Their offense and defense have good numbers despite having a lineup without Bowman, White, Sherritt (they are playing their 4th string middle linebacker for Chrissakes), and with multiple injuries to the defensive secondary.

Reilly has been really impressive - over 70% completion rate, hasn't thrown an interception yet this year, finishing clutch drives with touchdowns, and has been taking a constant beating while doing it.

The team is 4-0 and looks like they haven't had a chance to really gel or get in sync properly yet.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Was quite the finish last night, that finishing drive was spectacular! I thought some of the new receivers played well as well as Ladler on the D.

Can't wait to see the Lions on Friday night, maybe I will be able to get a 50/50 ticket this time lol.

A few more comments on the game, these one addressing problems.

1) The play by Marcus Howard is possibly the stupidest play you will see by a player all season. He recovers a fumble and then instead of just retaining the ball tries to handoff to a team mate who of course was not expecting it, this being his own 35yd line. This was at the beginning of the game, gave the Ticats an automatic 3 pts instead of a turnover as the Cats got new downs on the basis of the ball having been turned over. So Howard not only gives the ball back on his 35, he gives the Cats new downs. Marcus Howard is no longer a good football player. In addition to injuries, being slower, less strong he's making errors, ineffective, losing contain, isn't in on many tackles and is getting negligible pressure. This was not a step up performance. It was embarrassing. They even sat him for awhile after the fumble. Its sad that this is the present Marcus Howard. Without Willis this D front would be getting owned.

2) Penalties resulted in another 10 of the Ticats points. The 2nd one being questionable roughing of the QB (awful call) that sustained a drive and resulted in a TD.

3) FG blocked and punt blocked in same game. Coverage on kicks weak all game and you could just see there was going to be a block. These are costly mistakes, the one cost us 3pts, the other resulted in a TD against. 10 pt swing right there.

4)Esks weren't essentially in a tight game with the Ticats, they were battling themselves and their own costly mistakes. The Ticats were fairly inept throughout and were not generating their own points we were handing them pts. Really stupid and unfocused game by the Esks. You could see the whole game how lightly they were taking the Ticats.

5) Hammer town isn't happening, stop trying to make Hammer town happen... ps whats with a broadcast that spends all day talking about Ticat injuries when Edmonton has better, and more key players out?
    Last edited by Replacement; 23-07-2017 at 11:42 AM.

1.) The ball was fumbled by Howard at the Eskimo 52. That was a boneheaded play by Howard.
    I think you are dismissing the contributions of Almondo Sewell. The defensive front line is pretty solid.

2.) That was a frustrating RTP penalty for sure.

3.) It was a convert that was partially blocked and the punt. The Eskimos had higher punt and kick-off averages than Hamilton. Whyte is not a very good punter and should probably be replaced as the punter.

Don't be too tough on the Esks' special teams - that was the 3rd or 4th punt block by the Ti-cats this year. Hamilton's special teams have been stellar this season.

Also, I think Whyte has been doing great at punting. He is placing the ball exactly where it needs to be for the cover team to minimize returns. Yeah, you don't get the big "average yard per punt" stat kicking that way, but the Esks successfully contained Hamilton's very dangerous kick return game really well.

And yeah, that fumble return play was a bad brain cramp by Howard.

Thanks for the reply.

I like Sewells contribution. He's a beast to handle but injuries have hurt our front as well as how its been influenced by the injuries at linebacker. The front is even more important given our weakness at linebacker due to the multiple injuries. Whats disappointing is Howard not being a positive influence. I'm keying on him and he's not getting much done. occasionally able to do a swim move and get by a blocker but not near enough to get in on the play. He's really slow to the ball now and quickness used to be his strength. I feel that due to the injuries the Esks have been wanting to give him a chance. The reality is if this was a new player here playing like this he would be cut.

The Roughing the passer penalty was infuriating and due to how Reilly was late hit, and rammed into the turf several times. I forgot to mention how frustrated I was with the Oline.

As per punting, yeah, agreed we're giving up a lot of yards everytime Whyte punts the ball but we were facing a usually dangerous returner and Whyte was being specifically told to spot kick. When you spot kick, go for angles, or go for out of bounds you lose yardage. Overall though you avoid big returns doing that. I'm OK with the dual duties as it opens up one other player to be included somewhere else where we could use it. What with the injuries we've suffered its been a blessing that we have one player handling all kicking. In anycase the subtraction of Grant Shaw and reliability on FG's is an automatic positive.

Don't be too tough on the Esks' special teams - that was the 3rd or 4th punt block by the Ti-cats this year. Hamilton's special teams have been stellar this season.

Also, I think Whyte has been doing great at punting. He is placing the ball exactly where it needs to be for the cover team to minimize returns. Yeah, you don't get the big "average yard per punt" stat kicking that way, but the Esks successfully contained Hamilton's very dangerous kick return game really well.

And yeah, that fumble return play was a bad brain cramp by Howard.
    Yeah, I just said much the same. Overall I've liked out special teams play. A side of the ball with consistent game and I like the punishing tackles and hits. The Eskimos kick cover is pretty formidable. We always seem to get some good personnel there. We're getting major licks on returners this season again. Just punishing hits. Stuff like that really jacks up the sidelines. I think this club draws some energy out of our special teams play, and of course Reilly and Willis being leaders on their sides of the ball.

AS far as Whyte he can kick longballs. So I'm not too concerned. I love his FG accuracy. I love that he can actually kick the ball where he is asked. With Grant that was always an adventure. How many times have we seen Grant squib the ball the opposite side of the field to strongside coverage.

Finally, what is it with Hamilton and trying to injure QB's. Last number of years I'm disliking the ticats as much as any team.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Is there a stat somewhere showing how many QB sacks we've had this season as opposed to how many roughing the passer calls? I'd love to see a AB comparison on that.

Finally, what is it with Hamilton and trying to injure QB's.
    Some players recognize that 'roughing the passer' is only a 15-yard penalty, and if they could take a guy like Reilly out of the game, 15 yards is worth it.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ That would be setting a precedent. Would any club want to go down that road? The offensive line needs to do a better job at handling their assignments.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    ^ That would be setting a precedent. Would any club want to go down that road?
    Well, the Tiger Cats have done it before - it's something Angelo Mosca used to say publicly, actually. But he has a big mouth and was an incredibly dirty player.

Teams these days don't admit to hitting certain players extra hard to take them out of a game, but Hamilton sure was thinking it loudly last week.

For those who don't mind not drinking at their seat to save a couple of bucks, tickets are $28.50 in the Save-On Family Huddle section, available at the customer service desk at any Save-On-Foods.

https://www.esks.com/familyhuddle/
    Quote Originally Posted by Esks.com

SAVE-ON-FOODS FAMILY HUDDLE TICKETS ONLY $28.50
    PLUS FEES AND TAXES

Welcome to the Save-On-Foods Family Huddle – an alcohol-free, general admission section at The Brick Field at Commonwealth Stadium during Eskimos home games.

Please note the purchase location for Family Huddle tickets is Save-On-Foods.

Regular-season games are $28.50 (plus fees and taxes). Playoff games are $29.50 (plus fees and taxes). Get yours at participating Save-On-Foods in Edmonton and surrounding areas.

Seating in the Save-On-Foods Family Huddle is located on the lower deck in sections PP, QQ, RR. Please call 780-448-3757 for accessible seating options.
    Last edited by Ustauk; 24-07-2017 at 11:53 AM.

This must be today's iteration of the ol' Cornhole Gang from years ago.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ I only began watch football just recently 2010 ish. Mom and dad were BC line fans in the 60's.

"What it was, was football" Andy Griffith.

Its on you tube

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^^ I sit in the gimp section so that probably wouldn't apply here.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast