Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vehicles we can't buy in Canada

And what was the last year the PT Cruiser was made? 2010, the last year it was the perfect vehicle to cook the books thanks to the 2011 changes.
    Giving less of a damn than everů Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

That's fascinating.

And a good argument against complex game-able regulations and in favour of simple market feedback mechanisms. Thank goodness for the simplicity of the Carbon Tax, looking forward to it continuing to rise.
    There can only be one.

C2E SME

This old Globe and Mail article is also relevant: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle20881124/

You can also find dozens of threads on car enthusiast forums where people lament the inability to buy various sport wagons in Canada. My personal belief is that it's a mix of regulatory issues, and market demand. It's kind of a chicken and egg thing. If demand was higher, manufacturers would bring those models over from Europe, even if they had to jump through some extra hoops. But just the same, if there weren't so many unintended consequences of fuel efficiency regulations and silly Transport Canada concerns, manufacturers would be able to bring over the same vehicles with little or no modification, and it would be worthwhile to do so. Like it or not, North Americans do unfortunately like their large vehicles.

In any case, I just had a coffee with another wagon guy, and he indicated that someone at an Audi dealership told him it may well be possible that Audi will be bringing over the RS4 Avant in 2018. If they do, I may well have to get my name on the list. And there will absolutely be a waiting list, of that I have no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    If demand was higher, manufacturers would bring those models over from Europe, even if they had to jump through some extra hoops. But just the same, if there weren't so many unintended consequences of fuel efficiency regulations and silly Transport Canada concerns, manufacturers would be able to bring over the same vehicles with little or no modification, and it would be worthwhile to do so. Like it or not, North Americans do unfortunately like their large vehicles.
    So now, after claiming I don't know what I am talking about, you say the exact same thing, great - next try to read and understand, you might learn something like it appears, having spent enough time to think it through at your brains pace, you finally have.

If people think there is this amazing untapped market for vehicles we can't get in Canada, there is nothing to stop them setting up a company and importing them. If there was money in doing that, beyond a tiny niche of enthusiasts, the automakers would be doing it. The harsh reality though, is attempts at that, turn into painful losses.
    Last edited by moahunter; 31-05-2017 at 12:30 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Here's a simple proposal for an alternative, universal fuel economy standard that would fix the bloat problem:

Base allowance for any vehicle: 2.0 L/100km
    Additional allowance for each full-sized seating position: 0.5 L/100km
    Additional allowance for each small seating position: 0.25 L/100km
    Additional allowance for each 100 kg of payload capacity: 0.1 L/100km
    Additional allowance for each 200 kg of towing capacity: 0.1 L/100km

Seating positions beyond 6 credited at 50% of the above rate.
    A full size seating position is required to accommodate a dummy simulating a person 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in) tall weighing 120 kg without head, knee or shoulder contact.
    A small seating position is required to accommodate a dummy simulating a person 1.6 m (5 ft 3 in) tall weighing 60 kg without head, knee or shoulder contact.
    All claimed seating positions are required to be occupied simultaneously (no sliding the front seat forward in order to claim the rear as a full size position).
    The above passenger weights must be deducted from the payload capacity.
    The claimed payload and towing capacity must be available simultaneously, without exceeding any weight ratings.

Has anyone imported any old vehicles (that you couldn’t get here when new)?

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin
    In any case, I just had a coffee with another wagon guy, and he indicated that someone at an Audi dealership told him it may well be possible that Audi will be bringing over the RS4 Avant in 2018. If they do, I may well have to get my name on the list. And there will absolutely be a waiting list, of that I have no doubt.

Still no RS4 Avante in North America. However, it's looking like Mercedes is bringing a C43 Wagon to Canada only (no US) this fall:
    https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20180305/hotted-up-c-43-amg-to-also-arrive-in-a-wagon-version/

My old 535 Touring was in the shop for a few weeks and my dad was kind enough to lend my his new-ish A4 All Road. It was actually peppier than I expected, and I didn't realize it has a dual clutch auto, not a torque converter. I still can't stand the terrible fantastic plastic that Audi thinks they need to slap on it to make it look like a Subaru or something, but otherwise I quite enjoyed driving it. In the next year or two I'll have to replace my current wagon, and unless something else comes out it'll likely be between a C43 or an A4.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12