Thread: Grant MacEwan entrance requirements?

Default Grant MacEwan entrance requirements?

Well i am confused right now. In their website it says i have to meet 65% of final grades in order to enter the program of Commerce. but some people told me i have to be at least 80%. my question is, do they have a competitive list? do they pick those student who have higher grades rather than lower ones? because right now i got 65% on both English and Math do i need more or i can just maintain those grades?

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Friendly suggestion, in case nothing turns up here...

Why not just call GMCC and ask them? Their admissions staff probably have a better idea of the entrance requirements than either most posters on C2E, or "some people" who are telling you this that or the other thing.

Minimum requirements don't guarantee you a spot. Programs often have wait lists, so they prioritize people based on their grades.

This conversation is a little ironic for me, because I remember the days when the question about GMCC was not "What do you have to do to get accepted?" but "What would you have to do to get rejected?"

When I went there, in the mid-80s, the place was for all practical purposes an open-admissions college. I won't tell you exactly how bad my high school transcripts were, but let's just say, I doubt they would be accepted there these days, or for that matter at any place bearing the word "university" in its title. I got into the U Of A because there was an overlap between GMCC's open-admissions era and its university-transfer era. I'm not sure how long that overlap lasted, but I'm pretty sure the gap has been closed by now.

Not that it was a bad school in those days, they had some pretty dedicated and knowledgable instructors, no worse(and in some cases probably better) than the grad-students they have manning the lectern in a lot of first-year university classes. But the admissions policy and the marking were, to say the least, pretty slack.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Admission to most programs is now competitive, but the level of competition varies. You will need to contact them.

Nitpick: They are now a university rather than a community college, and they have an irrational fear of the former Lieutenant Governor's first name. Vancouver has SFU and Calgary has MRU, but someone at the institution on 104 Av decided it had to be "MacEwan" or "MacEwan University" and not GMU.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    Admission to most programs is now competitive, but the level of competition varies. You will need to contact them.
    they have an irrational fear of the former Lieutenant Governor's first name.
    I suspect that's just because some people still associate the full name with the era when it was kind of a slacker hangout with hang-loose academic standards. I caught the tail-end of that when I was there.

Oh, and thanks for the correction on the name. I knew it was a univerisity, but old habits die hard, I guess.