Thread: Harbin Gate - where to put it?

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Harbin Gate - where to put it?

https://twitter.com/JSJamato/status/833479593482874881
    Sean Amato @JSJamato
    Final hours for a #yeg landmark on 102ave. Harbin Gate to start coming down this week. 102ave down to 1 lane. #yegtraffic
    https://twitter.com/JSJamato/status/833486120457342980
    Sean Amato Sean Amato @JSJamato
    Harbin Gate will soon be removed for #yeg Valley Line LRT. The Gate may be re-erected but plans for when/where not announced. @ctvedmonton
    Wanted to have this as a separate discussion from the SE LRT thread.

What to do with this lovely Harbin Gate?
    I always thought it made sense to relocate it to 97 St, either at 101A Ave, or at 105 Ave.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 20-02-2017 at 12:37 AM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Still very disappointed it was not incorporated. There is some discussion to place it over 97st north of Jasper, expanded of course.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Is there no way to have LRT run through it?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

if it were up to me, 96th street (the armature) would be extended north and the pedestrian link extended across the lrt right of way through mary burley park to 97th street. the gate would be over the pedestrian link in a position of prominence, not overshadowed by canada place etc. done right it would provide a pedestrian friendly fine grained connection between north and south chinatown that is no longer possible using 97th street.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Why not send out questionnaires to the business owners along that stretch of 97th. Street and maybe they may have some ideas on where the gate should go.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Well underway... the Chinese Business Assoc. and other groups are working on this with the COE.

^^^bad vibrations apparently killed it at that location.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    if it were up to me, 96th street (the armature) would be extended north and the pedestrian link extended across the lrt right of way through mary burley park to 97th street. the gate would be over the pedestrian link in a position of prominence, not overshadowed by canada place etc. done right it would provide a pedestrian friendly fine grained connection between north and south chinatown that is no longer possible using 97th street.
    100% agreed.
    Let's make Edmonton better.