Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NHL Playoffs Round 1. Oilers v Sharks

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    If you have ever been to tsn.ca, you would wonder if there were any teams outside of the Laughs, dam is it nauseating!!
    Could never understand why anybody likes TSN, station or the website or commentators. So Toronto specific. Even the Sens get more coverage than the WC teams. This now magnified since rightsholding and SN getting the other clubs rights. TSN practically pretends WC teams don't exist.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

An 8pm start? That's good from my end because I'll be working the phones tonight as we get out at 8:25 and I have a ride home. The game will be on in the car radio, sweet. I won't miss much of the game at all. I'm just happy the Oilers got this far. Everything else is a bonus. As my wife would say, "Lets go Oilies," I hope I'm wrong but my prediction for this series: Sharks in 5.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement
    Just to emphasise as well that MORE tickets being for sale now (there was 550 a week ago)

And there was around a thousand or so on Monday and Tuesday. It's been bouncing around all over the place, I'm sure. For one, no one even knew the schedule until Sunday night. You could list tickets before, yes, but I would think most people held off listing until schedules were better known.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!
    Last edited by Hilman; 12-04-2017 at 02:29 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Exactly. As if Center of the universe Leafs fans stay up to watch the Oilers. Its an after thought. Yet we get these strange start times to accommodate people who don't watch.
    I just got off the phone with a friend in Toronto, and she was saying how bad it's going to be at work tomorrow because she's staying up to watch the game. She's never lived in Edmonton, and always been an Oilers fan. They're out there!
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

C2E SME

So the main entrance to the arena, will actually be closed to people attending the game tonight because of the Ford Hall party. Same goes with exiting after, everyone attending the arena will be dumped out of the building on the North side of 104 Avenue through the exit stairwells. I'm really not seeing how that makes any sense whatsoever, unless I am misunderstanding something.

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ Keeping the Tier 1 and Tier 2 fans separated?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I decided to add a little flair to my office today

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    So the main entrance to the arena, will actually be closed to people attending the game tonight because of the Ford Hall party. Same goes with exiting after, everyone attending the arena will be dumped out of the building on the North side of 104 Avenue through the exit stairwells. I'm really not seeing how that makes any sense whatsoever, unless I am misunderstanding something.
    I wondered how they were going to work that... not terribly great.
    www.decl.org

As long as no one puts garbage cans on the floor mosaic it should all be good, right?
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

That looks really great, Ian! Wow.
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    I wondered how they were going to work that... not terribly great.

I'd go so far as to say it's idiotic. After all, the Winter Garden was partly sold on the premise that it would be dangerous for 18,000 fans, or the portion thereof, to be crossing 104 avenue before and after games. I mean, that premise was bunk from the start, but it was part of the reasoning why the the design needed the 85 million dollar pedway. Now, not so much I guess.

that shot clock.... 44-19

Terry Jones on record calling an Oilers series win in 5 games. Sports scribes were never too bright.

Virtually zero credit being given to a savvy vet, well coached club who got to the final last year not by accident. What on Earth was Terry Jones thinking? I'm sure the sharks got a laugh at that prediction as well.

Sharks just ran our show tonight in our barn and without Joe Thornton. Sharks owned us after Jones spotted the Oilers 2 5 hole goals.

SOG after the first were 34-9. Total domination. We barely had the puck in the offensive end.

Talbot makes a save on Burns that no other goaltender in the league would make. What a spectacular save staying with Burns all the way. Sharks hit 3 crossbars and a goal post. Score could've been something like 6-2. Oilers beat to every lose puck. Hilarious moment in the 3rd when Eberle is crying to a ref because Burns rubbed him off the puck. As if to say he can't do that. Welcome to playoff hockey Oilers.

Sharks got a lot out of their bottomsix players tonight and the Oilers got zilch. Somehow, even the Sharks are the team with injury trouble, they looked deeper.

Gotta say it too. Amateur coaching decision starting caggiulia instead of Slepyshev, who is much more adept at handling and dishing out the physical stuff. Playing SJ you need as many big bodies in the lineup as possible. Caggiulia was a liability out there.

Finally, what a butt stupid penalty Lucic took late in a 2-2 game. Totally undisciplined reactionary slash with the ref watching. how could they not call it. Sharks ring a shot off the crossbar in ensuing PP which would have made that the goat play of the night. Worth noting that Lucic cost the Kings a game last playoffs taking a stupid penalty on the winning goal. Sometimes his intensity gets the best of him. The oddest thing is him complaining about the call. If anything is a penalty that hard slash is a penalty.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Won't make anyone feel better, but Minny outshot Blues 52-26 and lost in OT.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

If the Sharks continue to play like that, we might get one win.

Well, Nuge, Lucic, Klefbom and Talbot had good games. Shame about the rest, but I think the team will learn from that, you can't slow the game down to Sharks speed to shut it down and expect to survive.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...harks-and-lost

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Won't make anyone feel better, but Minny outshot Blues 52-26 and lost in OT.
    I was watching a lot of that game as well. It was as cruel a result as the shot count indicated. Wild dominated the entire game, Blues had beyond stupid luck. At one point a Wild player actually inadvertently stopped a puck from going across the Blues goal line. Stuff like that was happening. Hockey, like Soccer, can be inexplicable in its scoreline.

The Wild did tie the game with goalie pulled and 22secs left so Minny fans exploded when that happened. The crowd seemed ecstatic, not sure if it was due to relative TV feeds but it seemed louder even than Rogers Place. Unlike the Wild however the Oilers got the fate yesterday that they deserved. I can't imagine what it felt like for fans doling out a minimum of around 400bucks resale price to see the Oilers play 1 period of hockey.

Just a comment but Maroon is playing injured. Theres no way he's healthy. He was really struggling and he's regularly sitting shifts on the bench or dropped down now. He tried to bring the physical game in the first and made a couple solid hits and had to back off of that. Partly as a result the Sharks took this game over physically as it progressed.

Onto game 2 I would keep Pakarinen in the lineup, definitely drop Caggiulia out, he's not ready for this level of lifting, and I'd insert Slepyshev who loves physical play as much as Pacman. The Oilers need every physical player on board and as much as it hurts even keeping Gryba in over Benning. Also need Hendricks in this series instead of Desharnais who was pathetic and physically outmatched. We have to have the big bodies in the lineup. Sharks forecheck is really hard to cope with as most playoff clubs realize.

McLellan lost the first battle against a team he should be able to work schemes to exploit. Hard to see though because the Oilers execution and focus in the game was poor. First rule of playoffs, where you place doesn't matter, home ice doesn't matter, Oilers learned that last night. I think the strangest thing is pundits like Barnes, Matheson, Jones, who should all know better by now thinking the last couple regular season Wins against the Sharks meant much at all. That wasn't the Sharks we saw last night. You could virtually see when they kicked it into a higher gear towards end of first period. They never looked back and owned the game at that point. The Oilers need to find that added gear as they looked behind, and increasingly so in the 3rd and OT.
    Last edited by Replacement; 13-04-2017 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Well, Nuge, Lucic, Klefbom and Talbot had good games. Shame about the rest, but I think the team will learn from that, you can't slow the game down to Sharks speed to shut it down and expect to survive.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/ho...harks-and-lost
    Nuge was getting rubbed off pucks with regularity. Watch the board work and own zone and NZ work. I thought Lucic and Eberle had it but I wouldn't say Nuge.

That Staples singles out Nuges contribution on the pk is strange at best. Nuge is a poor pk player and all his stats confirm that. Conversely Pak and Pouliot are excellent on the pk and get poor grades.

That Klefbom got a better grade in that game than Larsson kind of tells you all you need to know about Staples very random analysis. Perhaps because he scored on a goal that should never have happened but was deflected in by a Sharks defender. Larsson as per usual was the more reliable of the pair and certainly more suited to the physical action. Larsson is carrying Klefbom. Has been all season. Staples sees a different game out there. Apparently Staoles doesn't notice when Klefbom is moving the puck out that its invariably Larsson with the first touch and absorbing the punishing hit to make the pass to Klef to get it out. Larsson is much better at making that play than Larsson is.

Staples also gives Russell a 2, lol, and you know its on the basis of one play in the game and he its even stated in his comments. What an arbitrary review. Hertl made a great play there. Great plays happen, against any defender.
    Last edited by Replacement; 13-04-2017 at 06:56 AM.

Oilers killed a lot of their own momentum with some dumb penalties and some lazy play with the man advantage, then straight-up got outplayed in the 3rd period.

Oh well, water under the bridge now. The Sharks are a beatable team, and the Oilers have today to regroup and focus on playing a more disciplined game Friday night.

^By Connors own admission in postgame the Oilers got overconfident out there. Got comfortable with the lead they had. I think an aspect of that disrespects the opponent. The Sharks sure recognized it as well. Sure the Sharks are beatable, but try beating them 4 times in a series. Only once club in the league could last season.

I thought the Oilers might squeeze this out in 7 out of sheer enthusiasm and outworking the Sharks with youthful energy. But getting outplayed by the Sharks, looking much slower than the Sharks? Forget it if they play that way. After the initial euphoria of SC and home ice and the bedlam, all which this team handled well, I think the Oilers hit an adrenaline wall somewhere in this game. Maybe the hype and excitement got to them but they looked taxed by the 3rd period if not the 2nd.

I hope what the Oilers recognize is that despite the OT result this was not a narrow win. Sharks were overwhelmingly the better club in this game.

In the regular season the Oilers got used to this notion that they can be outplayed, outshot, and win a ton of games that way. They actually thought they had this one with the 2-0 lead and they ****** it away. You don't win a lot of series losing games at home when you were up 2-0 through extreme fortune. The Oilers lost a home game in which they got the breaks. Look out if the puck ever bounces against them. Sharks had 3 crossbars and a goalpost last night, Oilers none. They're living a charmed life.

I tend to think the Sharks take this in 6. This was a huge loss.

I tend to think the Sharks take this in 6. This was a huge loss.
    That's what you have said on this thread every time the Oilers lose - its a "huge loss", the "sky is falling". Every time they win, you say, "it was lucky", the "opposition was weak", etc.

I think SJ deserve some credit for how they came back, but I'm not very concerned - Oilers will learn from this one, and know next time they can't let SJ slow the game down, even if go up ahead - that's not the way to shut them out. Have to keep skating fast against this team, that's how to beat them. I think the away games will actually be a little easier (might even get better ice, which is a little sad).

The difference now, as I stated earlier in the week, and before this game actually occurred, is the Oilers now have to play good teams all the time, every game, they have never encountered something like that before. The sky was never falling before with a constant diet of clubs like Colorado, Vancouver, etc that a stacked club should be able to beat.

How to beat the sharks is not just through skating. Its moving the puck crisply and letting the puck do the work through quick and adroit passing. Speed helps, and the Oilers have enough of that. What they didn't have is an answer to the Sharks increasing the speed in their game and getting their forecheck activated effectively.

Playoffs is fascinating because essentially its a game of puck transition chess. Whoever does it better and interferes with the other teams transition more wins. The Oilers have the monumental task of changing that against a club that knows itself, and team system a lot better than the Oilers know themselves or their game.

Anyway you get a few learning opportunities in a playoff round. Albeit in this one game 2 is must win. ftr I think the Oilers pull out game 2. But I think a harder working Sharks club that are used to working hard one game after another will grab this series as it goes on. Series will either be tied 2-2 or 3-1 Sharks after 4 games. But the Sharks play tires teams out. They're gold as playoff series progress. The Oilers main hope was to put the Sharks behind the 8 ball. That opportunity is now past.

I'll post on it as well if you like but the Oilers haven't had that good of a record against playoff clubs in the last couple months. That's all this is now, facing very good playoff clubs.

Anything can happen in the playoffs. It's one game. Heck, they can win the series even if they lose the next game as well.

^This isn't 2006 against a Sharks club that wasn't as established in playoff play back then. That was a Sharks team that tended to struggle in the playoffs. This here one went to the final last season. Its a bit biased, jmo, to suggest the Oilers would still win the series if the Sharks went up 2-0 on two road wins.

Sharks are a vet club and I don't think that would happen. They would need to roll over to win the first 2 games and then manage to lose 4/5 games. 2-0 is usually a lock for the visiting club. It is must win on Friday.

The pressure is completely off the Sharks now as well. They already got their road win, its all they needed. Another would just be a bonus. The Oilers conversely, have the distraction of the home crowd which I think takes them off their best strategic game, and the pressure of knowing they have to have this one.

Plus that we wasted a game in which we got the big breaks. That doesn't happen every game.

Anything can happen in the playoffs. That's why they play the games.

^Yup, it went to game six in 2006 Western Conference Semi Final after Oilers lost first two. I honestly think this is a better Oiler team than that one.

C2E Continued Contributor

^This isn't 2006 against a Sharks club that wasn't as established in playoff play back then. That was a Sharks team that tended to struggle in the playoffs. This here one went to the final last season. Its a bit biased, jmo, to suggest the Oilers would still win the series if the Sharks went up 2-0 on two road wins. Sharks are a vet club and I don't think that would happen. They would need to roll over to win the first 2 games and then manage to lose 4/5 games. 2-0 is usually a lock for the visiting club. It is must win on Friday.The pressure is completely off the Sharks now as well. They already got their road win, its all they needed. Another would just be a bonus. The Oilers conversely, have the distraction of the home crowd which I think takes them off their best strategic game, and the pressure of knowing they have to have this one. Plus that we wasted a game in which we got the big breaks. That doesn't happen every game.
    Big breaks in the first.

It was a tire fire afterward. Before it was even OT, I was thinking the Oilers didn't deserve to win that game. They got worked.I think if they can come out strong next game and play with some discipline, they'll have a shot for the rest of the series. If not, will be a tough mountain to climb thereafter.

C2E SME

The Oilers are learning that playoffs are a whole new game. Penalties really hurt them and the Sharks slowed down their passing along the boards.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    ^This isn't 2006 against a Sharks club that wasn't as established in playoff play back then. That was a Sharks team that tended to struggle in the playoffs. This here one went to the final last season. Its a bit biased, jmo, to suggest the Oilers would still win the series if the Sharks went up 2-0 on two road wins. Sharks are a vet club and I don't think that would happen. They would need to roll over to win the first 2 games and then manage to lose 4/5 games. 2-0 is usually a lock for the visiting club. It is must win on Friday.The pressure is completely off the Sharks now as well. They already got their road win, its all they needed. Another would just be a bonus. The Oilers conversely, have the distraction of the home crowd which I think takes them off their best strategic game, and the pressure of knowing they have to have this one. Plus that we wasted a game in which we got the big breaks. That doesn't happen every game.
    Big breaks in the first.

It was a tire fire afterward. Before it was even OT, I was thinking the Oilers didn't deserve to win that game. They got worked.I think if they can come out strong next game and play with some discipline, they'll have a shot for the rest of the series. If not, will be a tough mountain to climb thereafter.
    Big breaks the whole game. The Sharks as noted hit the post 4 times. All 4 being beauty sniper shots. That beat Talbot clean. As good as Talbot is the Oilers are giving sharpshooters time and space to setup and fire away. You can't do that to the really good teams.

I still can't believe Talbots stop on Burns. That was the best goalie sequence all year. In my life I haven't seen a goalie handle a multiple fake come across that well. Burns was looking for the one open, in 5 pump fakes, that the Oilers allowed Burns all day to have, Talbot didn't give him anything to shoot at. We had god in net in game 1. Conversely if McDavid does that to Jones he scores 5 hole. We're seeing the best goaltending the Oilers franchise has ever had.
    Last edited by Replacement; 13-04-2017 at 10:57 AM.

I thought Caggiula's stick busting during the breakaway in the 3rd period was a luckiest break of them all.

That play could've won the game for the Oil.

It's just the 1st game out of a possible 7. The hand-wringing among so-called fans is hilarious. Oh noes, the sky is falling...
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    I thought Caggiula's stick busting during the breakaway in the 3rd period was a luckiest break of them all.

So one bad break vs several that the Sharks had in the game. The first goal of the game was deflected in by a Shark. Klef was actually looking to pass on the play. That's a pretty bad break, as are 4 goalposts in one game. That happened one other time this season in an Oilers game. Of course it was the opposition hitting the post 4 times. The Oilers haven't hit posts 4 times in one game in as long as I can remember. That's not inconsequential. Any one of those goes in and the game doesn't even go into OT.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    It's just the 1st game out of a possible 7. The hand-wringing among so-called fans is hilarious. Oh noes, the sky is falling...
    Its a discussion. Get over it wannabe thread cop moderator.

How are NDP supporters enjoying the Oilers' "Orange Crush" marketing?

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    haha, snap, pretty sure they never thought of it.

Kind of amazed how many new Orange jerseys were out in the crowd last night. Like almost everybody.

The funniest quip of the night from Randorf on the broadcast.

"McDavids mom isn't wearing a McDavid jersey, she should be, everybody else in the building is..."

I very rarely burst out laughing at hockey commentary. Usually the gags don't hit the mark. That was a good one and just as the camera was panning the McDavid family. I like quick wit like that. Not the preplanned principe puns.

So one bad break

That was - bar none - the worst break in the game. Hitting goal posts or having pucks deflect into the net happen pretty much every game, and you or I could find thousands of examples in no time at all.

But just try and show me me examples of a player's stick breaking right in half on a clean breakaway in the 3rd period of a tie game... that was unbelievably lucky for the Sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Quite a bit, actually, thanks for asking.

Although the amusement quite honestly started back when the alternate orange jersey was first introduced along with its huge marketing campaign referring to fans purchasing replicas of the new jersey as "riding the historic orange wave". It was freaking 2015, right after the NDP had come into power, for god's sake. Hilarious (here's a Tweet by our then-new Premier who apparently found it equally funny: https://twitter.com/rachelnotley/sta...16882614841344).

The funniest quip of the night from Randorf on the broadcast.

"McDavids mom isn't wearing a McDavid jersey, she should be, everybody else in the building is..."

I very rarely burst out laughing at hockey commentary. Usually the gags don't hit the mark. That was a good one and just as the camera was panning the McDavid family. I like quick wit like that. Not the preplanned principe puns.
    There were a LOT of people talking about that on Twitter, actually. Some people actually seemed offended, like "why don't they want to wear Oilers jerseys? get them some jerseys, for god's sake!"

Speaking of the broadcast last night, I'm surprised to see no one mentioning that Dwayne Roloson gave a short interview in between the second and third periods. There was a real hush over the crowd at the Mercer when it happened, a kind of reverence.
    Last edited by Idealistic Pragmatist; 13-04-2017 at 11:55 AM.

So one bad break

That was - bar none - the worst break in the game. Hitting goal posts or having pucks deflect into the net happen pretty much every game, and you or I could find thousands of examples in no time at all.

But just try and show me me examples of a player's stick breaking right in half on a clean breakaway in the 3rd period of a tie game... that was unbelievably lucky for the Sharks.
    Just wasn't Caggiula's night. couple of undiscplined penalties, one resulting in a goal, and then the stick gives way as he leans on it...

So one bad break

Its Caggs, not McDavid. I don't think he was going to score anyway.

Did anyone else notice the "GGGGGGAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY" poster ***** that was sitting right behind the Sharks bench? They showed 2 shots of him in the 1st period, then it was empty seats after that. Dude should be banned from Rogers for a long, long time. I hope he paid a ton of money for those seats.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    Did anyone else notice the "GGGGGGAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY" poster ***** that was sitting right behind the Sharks bench? They showed 2 shots of him in the 1st period, then it was empty seats after that. Dude should be banned from Rogers for a long, long time. I hope he paid a ton of money for those seats.
    I'll never forget being at a rugby game in New Zealand between Canterbury and Auckland, and a couple of kids went round the outside of the field with a banner, "Carlos sucks goats" (Carlos Spencer being the Auckland teams star player). That was allowed, but I guess that's goatphillia not homophobia.

It's just one game, and it's over. Doesn't mean a thing now. The Oilers weren't going to win 16 straight.

Everybody thought if the refs called it tight the Oilers would have an advantage, but the Sharks showed a lot of discipline, and the Oilers didn't. Tough to win if you take 4 penalties in the O zone. I think the Oilers thought they could intimidate the Sharks and wear them down with their hitting, but the Sharks have been there before. Instead, I think the Oilers spent too much energy trying for big hits, and maybe lost their focus a little.

Of course they have some great star players, but the Sharks depth was impressive. Melker Karlsson, Timo Meier, Jannik Hansen, Hertl, Sorenson, Donskoi, Tierney, Ward, etc.

I'd like to see someone take Desharnais place, but I'd rather it wasn't Hendricks, though his intensity would be welcome. Slepyshev should draw in. Maybe Puljujaarvi.

Nurse struggled. So did Gryba. We need to clean that up, somehow.

What's with the font in this post?

aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

It's just one game, and it's over. Doesn't mean a thing now. The Oilers weren't going to win 16 straight.

Everybody thought if the refs called it tight the Oilers would have an advantage, but the Sharks showed a lot of discipline, and the Oilers didn't. Tough to win if you take 4 penalties in the O zone. I think the Oilers thought they could intimidate the Sharks and wear them down with their hitting, but the Sharks have been there before. Instead, I think the Oilers spent too much energy trying for big hits, and maybe lost their focus a little.

Of course they have some great star players, but the Sharks depth was impressive. Melker Karlsson, Timo Meier, Jannik Hansen, Hertl, Sorenson, Donskoi, Tierney, Ward, etc.

I'd like to see someone take Desharnais place, but I'd rather it wasn't Hendricks, though his intensity would be welcome. Slepyshev should draw in. Maybe Puljujaarvi.

Excellent analysis Jimbo. I too thought that the Oilers were trying to run the Sharks out of the rink in the first with hits which is strange because Lucic would have told the club that that attempt is fruitless. the Kings last season spend 5 games trying to tenderize the Sharks. It didn't matter in the slightest, the Sharks can take it. So it was a misguided effort, and an odd game overall. But on the other hand it evokes the lack of experience the Oilers have. Struck me as a little strange as well with the degree to which Klef was celebrating the first goal which was a bad goal, and an own deflection by a Sharks defender. If Drai had scored that he would honestly toss it up to luck and not even raise his hands and make a funny smirk. I mention this because its more inexperience showing. The Oilers say too much, communicate too much bravado on the ice and I think the Sharks feed on it. A vet team is always looking for any added impetus to go at the new kids on the block. Like the Oil did with the Kings the Oilers are giving this ammo to the sharks as well. You can already see how much Burns wants to shove it up the Oilers arse. Don't give him added incentive. The Sharks played possum down the stretch and were just getting a rest. A logical and smart approach what with how many games they've played in the last couple seasons. The Oilers thought it was a big deal passing the Sharks in the standings. It didn't matter at all except maybe Katz getting an extra home date.

The Oilers will play better, and I think take game 2. But the Sharks will get better as well and especially with Thornton in the lineup. The bad news is that players like Hertl look on fire right now. He had a real strong game and that's critical to the Sharks scoring depth. Both Hertl and Ward got untracked already for depth scoring. That's not really what the Oilers want to be nourishing. Sharks have enough guns without giving those guys confidence.

All five Canadian teams lost their first game

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Delete
    Last edited by SP59; 13-04-2017 at 11:24 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Dakine879 on HF

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    All five Canadian teams lost their first game
    Color me a little cynical that the NHL helped some Canadian clubs into the playoffs this season after the recoil of having none in last season. Everything from schedule to officiating assignment can impact results.

For years for instance the Flames got preferential scheduling and almost invariably getting the 2nd game of teams facing back to backs at the Saddledome. The can't get no respect Oilers were almost always getting the reverse. Suddenly the Oilers have McDavid, suddenly the Oilers are marketable and the NHL wants them to do well and the schedule is immediately the best in years and we see a ton of teams playing back to backs at Rogers. Something as simple as scheduling impacts results. Bookies know this, the NHL knows this.

Dakine879 on HF
    Confirming what I listed earlier that Oiler fans are getting jacked for high priced tickets like no other market. Blame Rogers Place as well. Cheap seats at that rink, due to its premium seats configuration has drastically impacted what resulting prices would be. This of course being predicted by myself and other pundits all along. Value served of having this new arena? Its shiny, concourses are packed, no access to washrooms. can't buy a dog and take a **** in the same intermission and the upper bowl seating sucks.

Most people wanted this. I've never been quite sure why.

But I think one season in it seems the fans were lied to in nearly every aspect.

Wintergarden was to improve access (no wait, we're closing that access at the most crowded time so we can throw a party. Its no longer a functioning pedway its something else..a disorganized clown show.

Access to washrooms, concessions will be great in new facility, the end of lineups.

The end of concourse crowding, say good bye to jam packed sardine runs at Rexall.

Seating options will be attractive and what everybody wants (instead DRL fiasco, upper bowl cramped and steep and unfriendly, SN and Sky lounges up in the stratosphere, poor view, one level laughably behind reflective glass and Skylounge nightclub type access that hasn't occurred as promised.

A season ends and we have a shiny arena and a ton of lies and misrepresentations. Don't even get me started on alleged increase in CRL values downtown. That's been blown out of the water this week as well.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Who would have thought 11 years of pent up energy would drive up prices!!!! Oh wait, everyone but you apparently.

What are you blaming Toronto's high ticket price on, ACC? Do you really think the prices would have been low if we were still in Rexall? (the answer is no)

For someone who thinks he knows everything, you really don't. Something as simple as supply and demand somehow escapes you, KISS.
    Last edited by Hilman; 14-04-2017 at 07:22 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Rogers Place Wows Edmonton and Sets Its Sights on the International Market

April 13, 2017Taylor Mims

It has been a little over six months since Rogers Place in Edmonton opened its doors with a show by Keith Urban. The over 20,000+ capacity arena has already hosted NHL and WHL seasons, 29 concerts, and just this week began their first playoff run. The NHL’s Edmonton Oilers, who own and operate Rogers Place, played their first post-season game on Wednesday igniting a passionate hometown with the arena that is already making the Canadian town an essential market.

“The province is excited,” Assistant GM of Live Entertainment at Oilers Entertainment Group Sheena Way told Amplify. “It’s been 11 years since they were in the playoffs.”

The entire arena sold out for the Oilers’ first playoff game at Rogers Place, forcing OEG to get creative with ways to engage fans. The day of the event, they release more tickets and included the option for fans to purchase concourse tickets that allowed them to be in the arena amongst the action.

The playoffs are “such a hot ticket in town that we keep looking for ways to accommodate the ticket buyer so that the scalper is not taking advantage of the situation,” Way said. “We have a winter garden that holds about 4,000 people and it has a giant whale tail that is all digital. We put the game out there. We turned Ford Hall into a huge beer garden as an extension of the concourse. That was free for people to come in and watch the game.”

OEG is working on getting more street closures and screens around the arena to bring more fans to a communal place to cheer on the Oilers
    http://ampthemag.com/the-real/rogers...tional-market/
    Last edited by Hilman; 14-04-2017 at 07:46 AM.

Who would have thought 11 years of pent up energy would drive up prices!!!! Oh wait, everyone but you apparently.

What are you blaming Toronto's high ticket price on, ACC? Do you really think the prices would have been low if we were still in Rexall? (the answer is no)

For someone who thinks he knows everything, you really don't. Something as simple as supply and demand somehow escapes you, KISS.
    What escapes me is how the public accepts such nonsense as a blue blood COE owned arena that is an affront to middle or lower class pocketbooks.

This is Edmonton, not London, not NY, its bs that Edmonton patrons need to pay the highest prices.

I feel sorry for younger people that can't go. Its not for me anyway, I would never drop 400 bucks on something as asinine as sporting entertainment. Its a passable hobby, watching on TV. Paying minimum to go to, but not this.

In anycase you're keeping it plenty KISS for both of us quoting Econ 101 dynamics in a public build facility. Keep up shilling I guess. What are they paying you?

Rogers Place Wows Edmonton and Sets Its Sights on the International Market

April 13, 2017Taylor Mims

It has been a little over six months since Rogers Place in Edmonton opened its doors with a show by Keith Urban. The over 20,000+ capacity arena has already hosted NHL and WHL seasons, 29 concerts, and just this week began their first playoff run. The NHL’s Edmonton Oilers, who own and operate Rogers Place, played their first post-season game on Wednesday igniting a passionate hometown with the arena that is already making the Canadian town an essential market.

“The province is excited,” Assistant GM of Live Entertainment at Oilers Entertainment Group Sheena Way told Amplify. “It’s been 11 years since they were in the playoffs.”

The entire arena sold out for the Oilers’ first playoff game at Rogers Place, forcing OEG to get creative with ways to engage fans. The day of the event, they release more tickets and included the option for fans to purchase concourse tickets that allowed them to be in the arena amongst the action.

The playoffs are “such a hot ticket in town that we keep looking for ways to accommodate the ticket buyer so that the scalper is not taking advantage of the situation,” Way said. “We have a winter garden that holds about 4,000 people and it has a giant whale tail that is all digital. We put the game out there. We turned Ford Hall into a huge beer garden as an extension of the concourse. That was free for people to come in and watch the game.”

OEG is working on getting more street closures and screens around the arena to bring more fans to a communal place to cheer on the Oilers
    http://ampthemag.com/the-real/rogers...tional-market/
    lol, how many of you rubes are on the payroll. 'The province is excited" Calgarians can give a rats *** we got a new arena, they would prefer we didn't. I'd be fine with that too.

"We're accommodating people so the scalpers are not taking advantage of the situation" lmfao. oh my lord. Did she say that with a straight face? ****, these idiots are getting paid. At least come up with intelligible lies.

I keep remembering a design with tons of premium tickets that was always designed to be expensive and the very little amount of non premium tickets, i.e. smaller top bowl/corners where you can't even take a ****.

Disingenious as well of them to keep saying this is a 20,500 capacity arena when its 18500 for its main tenant. Fact of the matter is theres about 5k tickets in this arena the average person could even afford. Who wanted this arena? I keep forgetting.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-04-2017 at 08:07 AM.

The Oilers wanted it! They wanted to design an arena where they could maximize revenue and that is what they got.

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    The Oilers wanted it! They wanted to design an arena where they could maximize revenue and that is what they got.
    Well they got everything.

Owned by the COE. In name only. Bought and paid for so that Katz could have everything he wanted, because, hey, its impossible otherwise for him to do business in this market...

this posted in absolute dripping sarcasm font.

The Oilers have great revenue, probably in the top top 5 in the league, but they had top 5 gate even at Rexall place and so the "I need this" play was always weak. City bent over anyway because hey, increased CRL DT. Oh wait, several office buildings selling for basement prices just this week.

Must be an illusion.

in 35 years, replacement will still be going on about the arena and katz 'suckering' the city. Give it a rest already. Whether you like the deal or not, its all said and done for. Time to move on. I'm quite sure there's plenty of other things you can be a 'grumpy old man' about in this city.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    in 35 years, replacement will still be going on about the arena and katz 'suckering' the city. Give it a rest already. Whether you like the deal or not, its all said and done for. Time to move on. I'm quite sure there's plenty of other things you can be a 'grumpy old man' about in this city.
    Will still be going on about how Nuge sucks as well.

well at least this is the proper thread to comment about nuge's play. Instead, Replacement is complaining about the arena deal in this thread and the proper thread too. Get over it Replacement FFS. move on, or at least stick to the right thread.

Hoping COE is getting their percentage of all these high prices to help pay for the arena.

Hey I put a moratorium on that but you keep bringing it up. He scores a hat trick tonight right?

Or a Gordie Howe. I can see it coming..he's a force of hockey nature just ready to break out. Wait for it..
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-04-2017 at 09:56 AM.

well at least this is the proper thread to comment about nuge's play. Instead, Replacement is complaining about the arena deal in this thread and the proper thread too. Get over it Replacement FFS. move on, or at least stick to the right thread.
    Just for you, I promise, guaranteed, not to be posting about this arena in 35yrs. It'll be about another arena within 25years...

cis, boom, bah...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ You'll be what by then 51?

This morning I decided to throw this on, man o man it is so fantastic.

www.decl.org

With regards to those prices, keep in mind that those are resale and certainly gouging due to supply and demand. Our upper 207 tickets for round 1 are something like $109 then 129 and 159 per round each. Not cheap, but certainly reasonable.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    ^ You'll be what by then 51?
    Now stop it...

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    This morning I decided to throw this on, man o man it is so fantastic.

Your videos still play? a lot of mine got seized up through time. Can't even rotate the things manually. I thought it was the players but the video cartridges themselves are mostly stuck. what a crap tech VHs was anyway. Its like watching something with sand in my eyes now after getting used to HD.

Excellent analysis Jimbo. I too thought that the Oilers were trying to run the Sharks out of the rink in the first with hits which is strange because Lucic would have told the club that that attempt is fruitless. the Kings last season spend 5 games trying to tenderize the Sharks. It didn't matter in the slightest, the Sharks can take it. So it was a misguided effort, and an odd game overall. But on the other hand it evokes the lack of experience the Oilers have. Struck me as a little strange as well with the degree to which Klef was celebrating the first goal which was a bad goal, and an own deflection by a Sharks defender. If Drai had scored that he would honestly toss it up to luck and not even raise his hands and make a funny smirk. I mention this because its more inexperience showing. The Oilers say too much, communicate too much bravado on the ice and I think the Sharks feed on it. A vet team is always looking for any added impetus to go at the new kids on the block. Like the Oil did with the Kings the Oilers are giving this ammo to the sharks as well. You can already see how much Burns wants to shove it up the Oilers arse. Don't give him added incentive. The Sharks played possum down the stretch and were just getting a rest. A logical and smart approach what with how many games they've played in the last couple seasons. The Oilers thought it was a big deal passing the Sharks in the standings. It didn't matter at all except maybe Katz getting an extra home date.

The Oilers will play better, and I think take game 2. But the Sharks will get better as well and especially with Thornton in the lineup. The bad news is that players like Hertl look on fire right now. He had a real strong game and that's critical to the Sharks scoring depth. Both Hertl and Ward got untracked already for depth scoring. That's not really what the Oilers want to be nourishing. Sharks have enough guns without giving those guys confidence.
    In a longer series, the hitting can wear on a team, and guys get banged up. Oilers are only down a game, it might be a long series, and "no broken bones", as the saying goes.

I'm not saying the game wasn't important, or that it wasn't a huge loss, but every playoff game is like that. It's just not important now.

Don't know if you saw Flames game, but they lost their composure too, after the worst line change in NHL history. Playoff history, anyway.

The Habs may be the best Canadian team right now, but they are also playing one of the toughest opponents. Leafs are in tough, but who knows? Ottawa have been the underdog all year, but they're as good as the Habs on any given night, and Boston isn't a powerhouse.

The surprising thing, for many, isn't that the Oilers and Flames to some degree lost their composure, but that Anaheim and the Sharks didn't. Everyone expected Perry to cross the line and do something stupid, but he played hard and clean, and drew retaliation.

We'll see. Gotta go.

C2E SME

Great hit by Kassian!

Nuge with probably one of his best periods of the year. Doing what he needs to do on this club as a 2nd line Center. Noted him being a lot more physical than normal. That needs to be consistent.

A worry though is that once again the Oilers expended too much energy in a first period chasing hits and taking penalties. The Oilers are still too jacked up and need to settle down and start playing with their heads instead of pure emotion. Both penalties so were due to over exuberance in scrums. You can tell the Oilers are really excited. But this times Sharks are not down 2-0 and Jones is looking solid.

This is going to be a tough game. I don't really agree with the Oilers 100 hits approach they are showing here. They are hitting instead of using skill. Its not going to work against the Vet Sharks who can absorb any degree of punishment.

Maroon really looks like theres something wrong with him. He's not 100% here. He got hurt late in season. He's struggling. Can't agree with the decision to play Caggiuia again. This series is just too much heavy metal for him to be very effective. Give the kid an experience but I'd rather somebody else draw in.

C2E SME

Great hit by Kassian!

Zack Kassian = bull in a china shop

Zack having a huge game and heroic if the scoreline stands up or anyway. He's been all over the place. Energizer killer. Zack attack as they say.

Still a 1 goal game though and Sharks seemed to just want to stay in this one in the 2nd period. A chance they're letting the Oil punch themselves out. Key is for the Oilers to have to play another energetic period. Oilers have to have this game.

What a bounce-back. Despite the low score, the Sharks were never in this one.

Uppers:
    Victory! A shutout for Cam! McJesus finds another gear, while Zack, besides showing some wicked Lemmy chops, is finally showing us why he was a top draft pick.

Downers:
    The number of penalties is ridiculous, and the officiating has been brutal at times. Hope we don't lose Klef, he's easily been one of their better D-men.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Zach looked awesome tonight, he really is a talented hockey player. I hope they sign him long term soon. Loved the physicality that the team brought, play like this and you will win (but stay out of the box!).

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    The number of penalties is ridiculous
    Yeah - too many careless stick infractions. Yes, the Sharks' powerplay sucks, but you can't keep tempting fate like that.

I just heard on the radio that the Oilers threw more hits tonight than any other team in any other game this season. Tonight they've proven they can play with the big boys.

lol, how many of you rubes are on the payroll. 'The province is excited" Calgarians can give a rats *** we got a new arena, they would prefer we didn't. I'd be fine with that too.

"We're accommodating people so the scalpers are not taking advantage of the situation" lmfao. oh my lord. Did she say that with a straight face? ****, these idiots are getting paid. At least come up with intelligible lies.

I keep remembering a design with tons of premium tickets that was always designed to be expensive and the very little amount of non premium tickets, i.e. smaller top bowl/corners where you can't even take a ****.

Disingenious as well of them to keep saying this is a 20,500 capacity arena when its 18500 for its main tenant. Fact of the matter is theres about 5k tickets in this arena the average person could even afford. Who wanted this arena? I keep forgetting.
    Is this board always this foul and negative and mean-spirited? Not to pick on you, but your posts are really nasty stuff. I was thinking of posting here more, but yeesh.

^ Just ignore him. We all do.

Most dominating game by the Oilers since game 6 of the Stanley Cup final in 06. Great game!

Quote Originally Posted by mr bear View Post

Is this board always this foul and negative and mean-spirited? Not to pick on you, but your posts are really nasty stuff. I was thinking of posting here more, but yeesh.
    So your answer to a perceived lack of decorum is this post? I have pleasant exchanges with several posters on this board, my own fault though, like most people, is I tend to respond in kind. Hilman and SDM have attracted some scorn before. Undoubtedly, so have I. But to go on a messageboard and single out one post and poster is to ignore that which occurred before it. My response to Hilman, or his constant arena shilling, does not occur in isolation. Nor am I the only that's challenged it.
    Further, to state mockingly that you don't post because of X poster is an attack albeit laughingly couched in "not to pick on you". If I can ascertain what you are stating is that you are better than me on the basis of reading a few of my posts, on the basis of you not posting hardly at all, and that you evaluate your own relative merit in that perspective and to the degree that you would initiate your fault finding "nasty" post and apparently with no sense of the irony contained therein. However, for a poster with a few posts on a messageboard to engage in this nature of out of the blue attack, with no prior established dialogue, is reprehensible in its own way which I'm sure you can see.

So lurk on and blame others for your non participation while occasionally stopping by to drop some kind words..I'm sure that makes you a much better poster and contributor to the forum.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-04-2017 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Most dominating game by the Oilers since game 6 of the Stanley Cup final in 06. Great game!
    I agree the game was dominating but I think some perspective might be in order on this one result. The Oilers lost game 1, thus the way game 2 unfolded. The Sharks already got their split. They even entered the 3rd period in this one one goal down and had some chances to tie it. They were simply hanging around in this one and would pounce when the opportunity was there. But this wasn't the Sharks club we saw in game 1 bending the will of the Oilers and it likely isn't the one we see in SJ. The Oilers are credit for the W, for much better attention to detail assignments, closing gaps and particularly playing an NZ game. The Oilers now have played a playoff game. Their play in game one was not a tenable playoff game.

A lot of Oilers fans around the blogosphere now think that on the basis of this one game the Oilers will sweep the Sharks the rest of the way. While its nice to think that, I think this will be a 6 or 7 game battle. The Sharks have been in these battles before and know how to pace themselves in long series and several of them. Not every game is going to be your peak game. What I really want to see is how the Oilers play as this series continues and in game 4, 5, 6.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-04-2017 at 10:35 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    That was 5-0 Oilers back then if I recall when Smitty got his Chiclets out. I was sure that night the Cup was coming home. I think the game was on a Saturday night and ended Monday night game #7.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^ Do we know the extent of Klefbom's injury and return yet?

Klefbom is fine according to McLellans post game comments. Probably more of a stinger or cramping and pain. He got hit hard by the puck In I think a sensitive area of the ankle. I'm not sure if its the same foot that was infected and kept him out of action for a season.

An alternate method of communicating the same;

Bear; I lurk here occasionally but I see your posts as quite caustic at times and I prefer not to engage in that way. Can I ask for more civil dialogue here which might increase the comfort level of others and further posting here?

Replacement; Sure, while I am sometimes caustic in reply, in the typical heat of posting in online messageboards (wherein that nature of exchange occurs frequently) I have at times expressed a similar wish that the forum could be more civil, albeit not always mirroring that in my own posting. So that its helpful, for all of us, to have occasional feedback that is honestly well meant. In response to your request I will monitor the heat contained in my posts and try to keep it more civil.

^An exchange can go that way, just saying, and probably should have if the intent of Bears intervention was furthering civility.

I'm done with this, back to the Oilers.

cheers

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Klefbom is fine according to McLellans post game comments. Probably more of a stinger or cramping and pain. He got hit hard by the puck In I think a sensitive area of the ankle. I'm not sure if its the same foot that was infected and kept him out of action for a season.
    Thanks, that's a relief.

It looked like Klefbom got hit with the puck on the inside of the leg, maybe the head of the fibula? I got hit with a puck there once and it feels kind of like when you hit your elbow's funny bone, times ten. Goes totally numb, then stings like crazy for a while. If that's what it is, he'll be fine.

But this is the time of year that teams lie about injuries, so I'll believe he is OK when I see him skating.

Please guys, no more stupid penalties. The sharks will bite! eventually.

I don't like the orange jerseys, but the arena, on TV looks fantastic full of them..I'm both impressed and proud of our oilers

Just some words on Kassian. Whatever happens in the series, whatever happens in his life, what a spellbinding moment where the game transcends hockey, goes straight into inspiration. Heres a guy struggling so much with his own demons, alcohol, to the degree that his hockey career was in jeopardy at one point. Heres somebody that has transmuted, that, his own challenges, to be an inspiration to others. I don't know that there's a more lovable antagonist in hockey. I'm so glad that he's not currently antagonizing himself and hope that the rest of his path in life is a clear as he's making it. Nice as well for McDavid, bless his soul and maturity, to single out Zach for praise and acknowledge his great efforts in this game.

Let me say as well that even at the depth of Kassians on ice troubles I liked the player. I go back along time with players like this, way back to Spinner Spencer, people can look it up, its a tragic story. That Zach has put a different path to his story is great.

Its exceptionally hard to play the role of a hockey enforcer, a heavyweight, an antagonizer, and not have Bob Probert or Boogaard level issues as a result of it. I try to comprehend these players lives, their task, their constant hockey path and being told what is their task, no matter how much it impacts them. A guy like Kassian might confront a kid like Meier, who is playing a very difficult role with the Sharks and with very little back up. But I'm sure he quietly respects the kid and what he's doing out there, that he's putting a target on his back. Nice as well for McDavid, ever the professional, to acknowledge the kid;

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/1...snow-in-april/

“He’s a big boy,” McDavid said of Meier. “Big, stocky, skates well and he’s got a lot of skill as well. He’s a very good player.”

So I'll wax on about McDavid, what an old soul he is, how his excellence is on and off ice, how he is great in every way imaginable, and also how as a star player that is the target of unending physicality that he respects and reveres that such is part of the game and that he went into the sport knowing that, playing that, and accepting that, more than anybody else I can think of. More even than Gretzky, more than Crosby, you can see it with McDavid, he gets momentarily aggravated, might react, give it back, and goes back to the bench thinking "that's hockey, the last thing I would do is complain that I got hacked, it comes with the territory.

The trouble for opponents is you play guys like McDavid, like Kassian, and its probably really hard not to admire them. Theres many more to the list btw. The Oilers are a hard team to play as well because its harder for opponents to find legitimate fault. This is not a dirty team, this is a skilled team that accepts the game and can play any way you like.

Players like this, its why we all love the sport, we are in the presence of greatness.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-04-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Incredible times.

www.decl.org

Looked to me that the Sharks were in a state of shock after the game. They were not expecting that.

So, going back to the final round of the 05/06 final round, the Oilers have lost EVERY game I've watched. 5/5 for losses for the games I watched, 4/4 for the games I didn't watch. Is it back luck if I watch a game? Am I cursing the team?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

So, going back to the final round of the 05/06 final round, the Oilers have lost EVERY game I've watched. 5/5 for losses for the games I watched, 4/4 for the games I didn't watch. Is it back luck if I watch a game? Am I cursing the team?
    Heck no. That was 10 years ago, the game is different then it was even a year ago. The only thing consistent is sloppy officiating . In life like in hockey, you create your own luck.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post
    Please guys, no more stupid penalties. The sharks will bite! eventually.

I don't like the orange jerseys, but the arena, on TV looks fantastic full of them..I'm both impressed and proud of our oilers
    Its not even stupid penalties, its sloppy officiating. Look at how many cross checks, holding calls on McDavid alone that were missed, even in the regular season. The on ice officials like to "manage" a game. That's why they "let them play." Sure some of those 6 power plays were legit, some were not.

As for the the jerseys, I think they look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Looked to me that the Sharks were in a state of shock after the game.
    Their body language really said it all. NOBODY on the Sharks stood up for their teammates while they were getting pummeled all game.

Heck no. That was 10 years ago, the game is different then it was even a year ago. The only thing consistent is sloppy officiating . In life like in hockey, you create your own luck.
    But just in case, please go see a movie or read a book tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Looked to me that the Sharks were in a state of shock after the game.
    Their body language really said it all. NOBODY on the Sharks stood up for their teammates while they were getting pummeled all game.
    C'mon, this is starting to be manufactured. The Sharks have done this before and I watched every game they played in the playoffs last season. The first thing they want to you think is you have them where you want them. Theres plenty fight in that club and they just showed it last season where they also had some off games but battled through it. The narrative starting to form here and on hf that they are some kind of weak timid team is a bit much.

More to the point the Sharks, like the Kings are not a club with any players that EXPECT other players to rescue them. You own up yourself, get out over the boards and battle yourself. Everyone. That's how that club is structured.

Name one player on that club that can't take punishment and that won't take a hit to make a solid play. Name one.

We have a handful of players on our club that are just learning what physical means in the playoffs. Some of those players are going to get belted hard to. Its up to them to stand up to it and persevere. No sharks player is going to shy away because of a few hits. You don't get to the SC final not being able to battle through anything. We saw that battle already in game 1, when the Sharks fully earned their Win.

I get that people are really excited about the one win but lets not assume as many are stating that the Sharks are some beat and broke club right now and a lot of fans are stating that in the blogoshere. Oddly that makes us look as inexperienced with playoffs as our players are. My own guess is that a team that has played in tons of seven game series can figure out what a playoff series takes beyond game 2. They been here before, lots of times.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-04-2017 at 04:02 PM.

People maybe don't understand what I said in that last post. I remember when the Oilers were the kings of the hill in the 80's and how ridiculous it sounded when opponent fans, media, etc, said matter of factly that the Oilers were done, solved, beaten, after one loss in a series. Lets act like we've been there before dismissing the Sharks who are worthy of some modicum of respect. I think that's a primary reason hfboards didn't work for me. Always these quantum swings. After game 1 the Oilers were hopeless, after game 2 the Oilers are winning the SC, its a sure thing, and nobody can stand up to this club. People actually stating that.

This series is a battle royale and both teams can battle. Just enjoy it. I find its even more enjoyable when you can appreciate what both teams on the ice bring to it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast