Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NHL Playoffs - non Oilers

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Sounds like excuses. People can't drive to support their team in the playoffs even when tickets are cheap. The translation for this is they DON'T support their team. As for income Ottawa is one of the more affluent cities in Canada what with all the highly paid civil service.
    The fact that there's a huge amount of civil servants in Ottawa is part of the problem, as their employers (aka the government) are prohibited from buying boxes & the employees themselves are prohibited from receiving the tickets as corporate gifts. Given how Rogers Place was built to cater to these sorts of customers (to the detriment of other sorts of customers) you can easily infer how important this inaccessible-to-Ottawa market segment is to the overall financial health of an organization.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Sounds like excuses. People can't drive to support their team in the playoffs even when tickets are cheap. The translation for this is they DON'T support their team. As for income Ottawa is one of the more affluent cities in Canada what with all the highly paid civil service.
    The fact that there's a huge amount of civil servants in Ottawa is part of the problem, as their employers (aka the government) are prohibited from buying boxes & the employees themselves are prohibited from receiving the tickets as corporate gifts. Given how Rogers Place was built to cater to these sorts of customers (to the detriment of other sorts of customers) you can easily infer how important this inaccessible-to-Ottawa market segment is to the overall financial health of an organization.
    Gotcha. But wouldn't some of those same factors make it harder to find any traction for support of a new DT arena? New Arenas also veer even more into exclusive premium seating schemes as we've seen. A new arena in Ottawa would be even further removed, figuratively, from that marketplace. As with most of these Arena things it doesn't make sense.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

I rooting for Nashville!

Gotcha. But wouldn't some of those same factors make it harder to find any traction for support of a new DT arena? New Arenas also veer even more into exclusive premium seating schemes as we've seen. A new arena in Ottawa would be even further removed, figuratively, from that marketplace. As with most of these Arena things it doesn't make sense.
    I was speaking more generally regarding the differences between the two marketplaces, not specifically in the new-arena context. Ottawa is a strange marketplace thanks to their employment monoculture & the ensuing regulations around government work.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I was wondering if the original post about civil servants wasn't at least in part about employees actually not getting their pay.

^ I was indeed hinting at pay issues.

But noodle does bring up a point I forgot to mention. We have the luxury of corporates buying huge sections and boxes. It's much less a case in Ottawa reasons being pretty clear.

And it's not so much of not wanting to spend the money to drive and pay $25 to park at Canadian Tire Centre (a game ticket can be as cheap as $50 during playoffs).
    It's more that a game starting at 7:00 means you need to generally hit the road by 5:00 latest depending on which part of Ottawa you're in to beat highway traffic. And by the time the game is over, you have to fight with Trans Canada highway traffic back into Ottawa. Transit is a non-option.

Weeknights are especially bad on attendance for that reason. It's almost a 7 hour odyssey just to catch 60 minutes of hockey.

I thought the Ottawa valley was becoming the silicone valley of Canada. What about all those companies? If they are not selling out in Ottawa this far into the playoffs there is something wrong. CTC is not that far out, Kanata is within the city and right on the Queensway. It would be like Southgate to us. There's no excuse really except for less interest than in other Canadian cities. It's hard to figure. I doubt there would be any empty seats in Quebec, Hamilton, or Saskatoon for that matter. Three NHL sized arenas sitting empty.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 12-05-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Go Preds !!

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    ^ I was indeed hinting at pay issues.

But noodle does bring up a point I forgot to mention. We have the luxury of corporates buying huge sections and boxes. It's much less a case in Ottawa reasons being pretty clear.

And it's not so much of not wanting to spend the money to drive and pay $25 to park at Canadian Tire Centre (a game ticket can be as cheap as $50 during playoffs).
    It's more that a game starting at 7:00 means you need to generally hit the road by 5:00 latest depending on which part of Ottawa you're in to beat highway traffic. And by the time the game is over, you have to fight with Trans Canada highway traffic back into Ottawa. Transit is a non-option.

Weeknights are especially bad on attendance for that reason. It's almost a 7 hour odyssey just to catch 60 minutes of hockey.
    Seems odd they wouldn't setup something like a park and ride to get people out to games in the Nations Capital. Shouldn't that kind of greener initiative be automatic in Ottawa.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Go Preds !!

Yes!!!!

C2E Posting Power

I thought the Ottawa valley was becoming the silicone valley of Canada. What about all those companies? If they are not selling out in Ottawa this far into the playoffs there is something wrong. CTC is not that far out, Kanata is within the city and right on the Queensway. It would be like Southgate to us. There's no excuse really except for less interest than in other Canadian cities. It's hard to figure. I doubt there would be any empty seats in Quebec, Hamilton, or Saskatoon for that matter. Three NHL sized arenas sitting empty.
    Companies? Nortel equals defunct. Blackberry equals life support.....don't think anyone else was there

Go Preds !!
    I've been on their bandwagon since the playoffs started since my team didn't even make the playoffs.

Go Preds!!!

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Companies? Nortel equals defunct. Blackberry equals life support.....don't think anyone else was there
    There are hundreds of companies. Kanata North is the largest tech park in Canada, it's right by CTC. Get googling. lol
    Last edited by Drumbones; 12-05-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy View Post
    Go Preds !!
    I've been on their bandwagon since the playoffs started since my team didn't even make the playoffs.

Go Preds!!!
    I love the way Nashville has adopted hockey. Even country singers. Impresses me. The Fisher/Underwood thing is even cool. Then there's Vince Gill of course.

CTC is not that far out, Kanata is within the city and right on the Queensway. It would be like Southgate to us. There's no excuse really except for less interest than in other Canadian cities. It's hard to figure. I doubt there would be any empty seats in Quebec, Hamilton, or Saskatoon for that matter. Three NHL sized arenas sitting empty.
    CTC is about 22km out from the Downtown core. Nisku is roughly 22km away from our downtown, hence I used nisku in my original post. And Nisku is right on our version of "queensway aka QE2" as well...
    Anyhow thats just what their fans say. I can't comment further since I've never been out there other than a quick pitstop in front of Parliament.

While I have no interest in Preds, I love how the city is getting behind this team.

I have no issue with them going all the way and winning the cup.

Teams like the Anaheim, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Florida...I just cringe when they win.
    Even if non-traditional hockey markets build a wildly successful team, you hardly see the fanbase grow. Rather unfortunate.

They couldn't get NBA so they adopted hockey even though no one in town knew a thing about it. It's amazing how it grew there.

Canadian Tire Centre is a quick 15 minute drive from downtown Ottawa – take Highway 417 (the Queensway) west to the Palladium Drive exit. This 4 lane arena-specific interchange will bring you right to Canadian Tire Centre’s doors. (From CTC website).

Everyone will be wanting a downtown arena after seeing that Edmonton was able to do it. That's good. Makes one wonder why they built out yonder in the first place. SaskTel Place is far from downtown too. I think it was originally built way out in a stubble field but has filled in.

Everyone will be wanting a downtown arena after seeing that Edmonton was able to do it. That's good. Makes one wonder why they built out yonder in the first place. SaskTel Place is far from downtown too. I think it was originally built way out in a stubble field but has filled in.
    Building on cheap land with lots of parking next to freeways was considered to be the way to go for a while.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

It's my grandson's team, how can I not go for thr Penguins.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I think the Penguins injuries are finally catching up to them, especially on D.

Whenever anyone plays the Sens in the playoffs, expect one or two players to go out with a concussion, as well as a few other injuries from stick work. Not as cheap shot dirty as in the Walrus Mclean days, but old habits die hard.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Another Sens series, another bunch of concussions to opposing team defence.

I've said it before - the dirtiest team in the NHL. Not the toughest. The dirtiest. Lots of stick work. At least one guy every series gets a head shot and concussion. Every time.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Yay Preds. One more!

Yay Preds. One more!
    I missed the game, unfortunately. It seems like it's going to be last man standing in the finals, with all the injuries.

Man, the road to the cup was paved for the Oilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Yay Preds. One more!
    I missed the game, unfortunately. It seems like it's going to be last man standing in the finals, with all the injuries.

It really was. Theres little to choose between these remaining clubs what with injuries. The Pens last season were unstoppable, and they might be this season, but injuries have resulted in them being battered. Agreed as well with Ottawa being a hack team. Any of these 4 remaining clubs could lift the cup.

Due to the injuries as well, and maybe the degree to which the playoffs have been physical affairs the quality of play at this point is notably down from what it would typically be at this point. A lot of players playing hurt, and exhausted making more mistakes. Could be because of the World Cup of Hockey thing in September that the season has just been too long for these guys. For the Pens particularly they have played a lot of hockey over the last couple seasons. With only 2.5mths off.

Go Nashville!!!

Yay Preds. One more!

It really was. Theres little to choose between these remaining clubs what with injuries. The Pens last season were unstoppable, and they might be this season, but injuries have resulted in them being battered. Agreed as well with Ottawa being a hack team. Any of these 4 remaining clubs could lift the cup.

Due to the injuries as well, and maybe the degree to which the playoffs have been physical affairs the quality of play at this point is notably down from what it would typically be at this point. A lot of players playing hurt, and exhausted making more mistakes. Could be because of the World Cup of Hockey thing in September that the season has just been too long for these guys. For the Pens particularly they have played a lot of hockey over the last couple seasons. With only 2.5mths off.
    Another game, another cheap Sens headshot at the end of a 7-0 blowout game - Wingels on Wilson. Wilson looks hurt. Definitely a suspension. Wingels is done.

I swear they must work on headshots in practice.

Gutless. Of course Milbury doesn't think it warrants a suspension. If that's not a suspension, what is? As blatant as a sucker punch, and just as dirty. Not even close to a hockey play. Deliberate as it gets. If there's not a suspension, the NHL is reaching for yet another new low.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 21-05-2017 at 05:29 PM.

Ducks are cooked by the Predators, winning game 6 6-3 to win the series 4-2.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Yup yup. Great to see. Goodbye ducks! Looking like Pens vs Preds
    Last edited by Drumbones; 22-05-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Ducks are cooked by the Predators, winning game 6 6-3 to win the series 4-2.
    Music to MY ears..

Oilers got robbed - EDMONTON should've been the team to lose to Nashville!

^It doesn't matter a lot in the bigger picture. This way the Oilers still got a big playoff taste and I like the message that the playoffs sent the players and org. That every littile bit matters, every player matters and you need everybody buying in or the result can go sideways. Whether it be bad officiating or not I like that the Oilers lost close. That will be a bigger message for them to take from their playoffs than if they got handily beat by the Preds. TBH I think the Oil would have had trouble extending to even 6 games against the Preds.

I still think Rinne could go cold at any point. Preds got the better goaltending in 3 rounds but that's not always the case with them.

Hockey is a strange game. SOG at one point in the game were 30-8 Ducks and they were trailing by two goals. Fact of the matter is you don't win games in which your goalies save % is .750. Ducks had really suspicious goaltentending in the playoffs in all but a few games.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Oilers got robbed - EDMONTON should've been the team to lose to Nashville!
    Ottawa is upset, they are not winning over Canada.

My count is up to 4 tackles by Methot on Crosby. Slashes. Spears. Crosschecks. One call. BS. Way worse than Kesler on McDavid.

I almost don't want to watch anymore. As the announcer said, it's hard to say what's a penalty anymore.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 23-05-2017 at 09:00 PM.

My count is up to 4 tackles by Methot on Crosby. Slashes. Spears. Crosschecks. One call. BS. Way worse than Kesler on McDavid.

I almost don't want to watch anymore. As the announcer said, it's hard to say what's a penalty anymore.
    Pretty disgusted with the game today. Pens also had a goal called back. Last I knew you can be in the crease and banging for the puck when the puck is live and in the crease. Still don't understand how the goal was called back. Other than that Sens were basically imploding in the second period, just hanging on for dear life, and that one being called back was huge as Pens with the goal they scored later could have had a 2-0 lead.

I can't fathom the Sens advancing and hope they don't. Don't like the way the team plays, what Ottawa represents, or that a team that doesn't even have playoff games sold out (or anywhere close to that) is playing this deep into the season.

Man, people in Edmonton paid 400 bucks for tickets to the worst seat in the house, or travelled to Anaheim or SJ to see games. In Ottawa its apparently insufferable hardship to drive out to the boonies rink..

Reduced in simplicity is anybody that can't be bothered driving 25K to see their home club in a third round playoff game isn't all that dedicated.

It was clearly obvious that the Penguins Dailey pushed the goalie into the net using his stick to push Anderson by the skate. If they don't call that one back they might as well eliminate the rule.

Pretty good call. Anderson was shoved into the net

https://streamable.com/l92s7

The action of "pushing Anderson into the net was incidental to putting the puck in the net which is the goal of hockey. Its Andersons own fault the puck was live, in his crease, and he didn't know where it was. The Pens were just finishing the play there, ensuring a goal, as any team would do.

The key is the puck was in the crease meaning that players can be in the crease banging for the loose puck which they were.

lol that people suggested the fix is in to prevent any Canadian club from advancing. The officiating in this series has been laughably charitable to the Sens and allowing them to basically maim and injure Pens players.

If the puck is in the crease you can push the goalie into the net first. Got it!

Quote Originally Posted by SP59 View Post
    If the puck is in the crease you can push the goalie into the net first. Got it!
    Anderson went on his back on his own, in an effort to seal the puck near the post. He was not pushed on his back, Once he was on his back the same motion to fish the puck in resulted in him going into the net. But it was Anderson that put himself in that position by going flat on his back and even leaned back into his net.

I don't think its as crystal clear as the homer Canadian broadcast made it.

^I didn't see it that way.

I see it how SP59, B.ike and the NHL saw it, Daley pushed him.

C2E Continued Contributor

Anderson went on his back on his own, in an effort to seal the puck near the post. He was not pushed on his back, Once he was on his back the same motion to fish the puck in resulted in him going into the net. But it was Anderson that put himself in that position by going flat on his back and even leaned back into his net.

If you look at the front view about a 1/3 way into the link above, Daley pushes Anderson into the net with his glove(s) by Anderson's pads, before the puck is in the net, thus taking away his ability to even make the save. That violates the goalie interference rule in a textbook example. I didn't watch the game by the way. Just reviewed the video above and pretty much instantly thought no goal.

Coulda went either way I guess. I can sorta see where Replacement is coming from. Plus, you never know with officiating these days.

Here's one from couple years back:
    https://youtu.be/TadyWKfLyhg?t=26s

Malkin visibly pushes Bernier inside the net and scores. This was before coaches challenge.

So in conclusion:
    You can push the goalie into the net and if you score, it might be awarded as a goal or it might not.
    What's certain is that you can hold onto an opposing goalie's pad for a few seconds and if a puck goes in, it counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post

If you look at the front view about a 1/3 way into the link above, Daley pushes Anderson into the net with his glove(s) by Anderson's pads, before the puck is in the net, thus taking away his ability to even make the save. That violates the goalie interference rule in a textbook example. I didn't watch the game by the way. Just reviewed the video above and pretty much instantly thought no goal.
    My contention though is Anderson himself threw himself on his back, scrambling for the puck, and thus in a position where he was headed into his own net, and vulnerable to be pushed there himself. Often case in these situations goalies will also allow players to "push" them into the net because they suspect they can get a call.

I think game playing on all sides go on in these instances.

I posit one further consideration in this. Why is it always so easy to push goalies into the net when they are actually in many cases heavier having more padding? Seems to me if push back ever occurred the goalies would stay in the same position they are in.

Lastly, the way I've always understood the game is that the puck is live when its in the crease. Its Andersons fault, not making a clean stop, not controlling a rebound, that the puck is clearly loose in his crease. Of course Anderson easily is pushed back into his net by a stick of all things. Try leveraging an adult hockey player into the net with them actively resisting at all. Of course Anderson doesn't resist, it milks the call. Skullduggery all round.

Coulda went either way I guess. I can sorta see where Replacement is coming from. Plus, you never know with officiating these days.

Here's one from couple years back:
    https://youtu.be/TadyWKfLyhg?t=26s

Malkin visibly pushes Bernier inside the net and scores. This was before coaches challenge.

So in conclusion:
    You can push the goalie into the net and if you score, it might be awarded as a goal or it might not.
    What's certain is that you can hold onto an opposing goalie's pad for a few seconds and if a puck goes in, it counts.
    Yep. Even in the telecast while Simpson is saying he doesn't see how it can't be called goalie interference its also stated that you never know and anything happens with these calls. In a case by case example the calls often seem random.

Good find on the Malkin goal. That is a virtually identical scenario.

btw Talbot prevents the push back when he is on the ice by simply stretching an arm and a leg to the back of the net, seen him do this multiple times and it keeps the brunt of him over the puck line. What Anderson did in this instance worked for him, but its a gamble to allow yourself to be so easily pushed back. By a stick.

Last consideration is that does bias occur in these calls? In one instance the player in question that is scoring is Malkin, a highly skilled and respected player. In the other instance its a plumber. They both do the same thing, in the same order, and score in the same way.

Off course he is easily pushed when he is not on his skates. It is an ice surface not sandpaper. You can see Dailey's stick bending he is using so much force while pushing on Anderson's skate.

Off course he is easily pushed when he is not on his skates. It is an ice surface not sandpaper. You can see Dailey's stick bending he is using so much force while pushing on Anderson's skate.
    This is part of my argument. Anderson himself decides to throw himself back on the ice in a desperate attempt to control a puck he can't find. This leaves him in a vulnerable position on the play. No worry though, he got the call he wanted.

Also to repeat Talbot doesn't often allow himself to be pushed back into the net. He lodges a skate or arm in the back of the cage to prevent his torso from being in cage. To me, the goalies role there is also to be battling, not milking a call. If Anderson wants to he prevents himself from being pushed in net like Talbot would in similar instance. Another tactic I've seen goalies use is to leverage either goal post to stop from going back into the net. Anderson is right by one goal post and doesn't do that. He doesn't resist going in net in the slightest. I contend its what he wants to occur on the play.

Lastly in other similar instances of such plays the determination has been that a Defensive player (in this case Karlsson) conceivably pushed the forward into the goalie.

I'm not making that contention, just denoting the random decision making that occurs in these instances.

Aside from this one wonders how much thought is given to the present day surface of goalie pads and how it impacts this nature of play. I can assure you back in the day that game beaten and well used leather pads provided much more resistance than the present pads. Goalies benefit from this in slides across the crease that are much easier now. Should they also benefit from so easily sliding into the net and thus out of play in which to make a save?
    Last edited by Replacement; 24-05-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post

My contention though is Anderson himself threw himself on his back, scrambling for the puck, and thus in a position where he was headed into his own net, and vulnerable to be pushed there himself. Often case in these situations goalies will also allow players to "push" them into the net because they suspect they can get a call.

I think game playing on all sides go on in these instances.

I posit one further consideration in this. Why is it always so easy to push goalies into the net when they are actually in many cases heavier having more padding? Seems to me if push back ever occurred the goalies would stay in the same position they are in.

Lastly, the way I've always understood the game is that the puck is live when its in the crease. Its Andersons fault, not making a clean stop, not controlling a rebound, that the puck is clearly loose in his crease. Of course Anderson easily is pushed back into his net by a stick of all things. Try leveraging an adult hockey player into the net with them actively resisting at all. Of course Anderson doesn't resist, it milks the call. Skullduggery all round.
    That's more of a physics thing. More surface area spreads the load across the surface of the ice that would result in less friction. Of course, that is simplifying it a lot!

Time for Top_Dawg to go get a good seat for the big game.

GO PENS !

Another brutal call. Slashing??? I don't even think he touched him.

And then another terrible call favouring the Sens. Just awful. NBC announcers can't figure it out either.

Wes Macauley needs to quit or be fired. Nobody can figure it out. Worst officiating I've ever seen this season.

Doc Emrick still talking about it 10 minutes later. These are supposed to be the best refs the NHL has. I don't get it.

Now Karlsson gets away with a blatant grab, as pointed out by the announcers. Again.

Now panel between periods talking about it. Nobody can figure it out. I understand missing a call, but this wasn't even close, and then Sens get away with 2 or 3 bs plays - extra crosscheck shots, tackle, grabbing.

The NHL needs to get their heads out of their butts, or the best game in the world is ruined.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 25-05-2017 at 06:53 PM.

And then another terrible call favouring the Sens. Just awful. NBC announcers can't figure it out either.

Wes Macauley needs to quit or be fired. Nobody can figure it out. Worst officiating I've ever seen this season.

Doc Emrick still talking about it 10 minutes later. These are supposed to be the best refs the NHL has. I don't get it.

Now Karlsson gets away with a blatant grab, as pointed out by the announcers. Again.

Now panel between periods talking about it. Nobody can figure it out. I understand missing a call, but this wasn't even close, and then Sens get away with 2 or 3 bs plays - extra crosscheck shots, tackle, grabbing.

The NHL needs to get their heads out of their butts, or the best game in the world is ruined.
    Game 6 officiating was a joke, now this. In game 6 Sens were dead in the water in 2nd period. SOG were 16-3 at one point. Then Refs start handing Sens PP's including a long 5 on 3 after calling back a Pens goal. Sens get back in the game. Only because of the officiating. Without that made up 5 on 3 they were dead.

Not sure if you caught it but a bunch of posters here laughably suggested that the fix is in and NHL wants no Canadian clubs advancing. lol, couldn't be farther from the truth. This has every look of the NHL wanting a Canadian club in the final. One that nobody cares about though...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Time for Top_Dawg to go get a good seat for the big game.

GO PENS !
    If pens don't win Trump should get the FBI to investigate..

Now Sens get away with blatant too many men. What game are these officials watching?

Game 6 officiating was a joke, now this. In game 6 Sens were dead in the water in 2nd period. SOG were 16-3 at one point. Then Refs start handing Sens PP's including a long 5 on 3 after calling back a Pens goal. Sens get back in the game. Only because of the officiating. Without that made up 5 on 3 they were dead.

Not sure if you caught it but a bunch of posters here laughably suggested that the fix is in and NHL wants no Canadian clubs advancing. lol, couldn't be farther from the truth. This has every look of the NHL wanting a Canadian club in the final. One that nobody cares about though...lol
    I sure understand that people are confused and looking for answers.

I just think the officiating has been really bad. The Sens have a lily white reputation because they don't play heavy, but they get away with all the cheap stuff. The only way their drop back left wing lock system works is because they can clutch and grab. They've been that way for years.

I watched some of the Memorial Cup yesterday, and it was strange seeing a game called relatively reasonably well. I've always been adamant the NHL has the best refs, but this has been a brutal post season.

NBC can breathe a sigh of relief

Pens win on flutter shot. Strange way to win when they missed so many golden chances.

I think the Pens are going to struggle against Nashville, because their D is so thin right now.

Ottawa's pathetic power play did them in.

This is the old NHL officiating. The power play that the Pens did get was a pretty weak call that Kessel should have been penalized on as well. There was also a blatant high stick in the first OT that the Pens got away with. It is not just Ottawa that was getting away with things.

The NHL needs to call a penalty when an infraction occurs.

Come on Nashville!!! I've been waiting.

NBC can breathe a sigh of relief

No kidding.

Top_Dawg just checked the schedule for the final round.

They sure know how to drag this thing out.

Ottawa's pathetic power play did them in.

This is the old NHL officiating. The power play that the Pens did get was a pretty weak call that Kessel should have been penalized on as well. There was also a blatant high stick in the first OT that the Pens got away with. It is not just Ottawa that was getting away with things.

The NHL needs to call a penalty when an infraction occurs.
    The Sens as a tactic were clutching and grabbing the entire series. You could call a penalty on Methot every 2nd shift. An argument that the Pens should have been getting more penalties and select focus on one "the Pens got away with" is myopic.

The Pens tried to play hockey in this series and with entertaining skillsets, puck possession, trying to make plays while having to contend with the series being played in Sens baked quicksand.

Heres the kicker. Normally the team pursuing the game, pursuing offense are the ones being hauled down. The team in continual prevent mode usually get the penalties. Yet the Sens played rope a dope for 7 games in this series and penalty calls were somewhat equal. Amazingly the Sens had 10more minutes of PP toi in the series including a crucial gift 5 on 3. While everything from shots to puck possession, to offensive zone favored the pens. Miraculously the Pens were getting a lot of calls while having the flow of play. The clutching Sens were simply allowed to interfere on almost every shift.

The Sens for their part barely ever had the puck, were content entire periods and games just to hang back like the worst incarnations of the NJD. The only times the Sens ever committed to offense was on the counter. Its all they ever did. They didn't sustain anything. They played a deplorable brand of hockey.

The Sens are blown up. Whew, what a relief.
    Last edited by Replacement; 26-05-2017 at 08:09 AM.

Just confirmed what my eyes saw in the Series. The Pens outshot the Sens by 45shots in the series. The sens had several periods in the series where they barely mustered any offense. Just hanging around and relying on Anderson to save their bacon time and time again. To put it into perspective the saves in the Sens 5-1 W were equal. But Anderson stopping everything.

Going into the final I still don't like Murray. The Pens win despite their normal goaltending. Neither of their goalies is sporting that hot a save percentage. Murray last night in one sequence leaded 4 rebounds right into the slot. I watched the sequence noting, once again, that it was Murray actually creating the scoring chances with horrid rebound control. That almost cost the Pens against Tampa last year. It almost cost them again. While Anderson is adroitly kicking pucks away or smothering up the puck Murray has his usual difficulty tracking and when the puck is in scrums in the crease he's prone to panic.

Go

Pens

Go!!!

Go Nashville!!!!!!....

Time for Top_Dawg to go get a good seat and poke back a coupla primer beer for tonight's game.

Well that one must have been enjoyable, wasn't able to watch it but sounds like Preds couldn't handle the Pens in the 3rd.

Pekka Rinne has predictably fallen back to earth in this series. Save percentage is junk.

The Pens were the more tired team and yet they found a way to hold service at home. Being a veteran club I think they will realize as well the importance of getting a split in Nashville. Preds have no experience with this kind of thing or pressure.

All of a sudden things don't look so good for the Pens.

At least they are getting some decent looks.

Just can't put it in the net.

Game 5 should be a doozy.

Top_Dawg is gonna book Friday off now and parlay that right into the weekend.

Go Nashville!!!!

I think Pens still take it in the crunch. None of the clubs have won on the road. Pens have more experience too.

All that said if the Pens manage to blow this cup after being up 2-0 and only 2 wins away that will be a hard one to ever forget. Especially since anytime could be your last kick at the can.

Pens have been dog throw up in this series though. They don't deserve to even be tied.

Agree with your observation Replacement. Pekka Rinne being crap in Pittsburg has kept the Pens in this.

Agree with your observation Replacement. Pekka Rinne being crap in Pittsburg has kept the Pens in this.
    I was surprised to see Rinne come back with such a strong game.

When he's on his game he's one of the very best. But where other goalies have the odd bad game or two and bounce back, Rinne tends to go through long stretches playing great, followed by stretches playing not so great.

Some of those saves the other night were out of this world good.

After game 1 I thought it was going to be Preds in 5. They look like the better team by a significant margin. The Pens D without Letang is pretty ok at best. But they find a way to win, somehow.

Any team with Malkin, Crosby, and Kessel is never going to be out of it. Kessel needs to start hitting the net on his shots. He has maybe the best wrister in the league, but when he misses the net it's going the other way.

Some really good hockey being played. Still find it harder to get into hockey when it's this hot outside.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Game #6 is going to conflict with my Stamps/Esks pre season game.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Here's hoping for a Nashville win! Fiddler is a local product from right here in Crawford Plains, I grew up with his older brother and have known the kid since he was about 5. I know he's no NHL superstar or anything... but that's not the point, just wanna see a buddy do something spectacular. And it sounds like it's his last season too so here's hoping for a Grand result. Go Nashville!
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

C2E SME

I love Vern Fiddler for this alone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxfeFXdwqmA

It looks like nashvilles luck has run out

^ Its a strange series. I had a chuckle at the top hockey commentators that figured the Pens were in trouble. Not sure how they figured that. The Pens win every game they have to it and haven't lost money games in the last couple of years.

The pressure will be on the Preds in game 6 and I think we'll see a different Pens club then we saw in the 2 games there.

I think an experienced Pens club won't be interested in this going to a game 7. Mind you they have the ability for this series to already be over, even without Letang.

Preds were just steamrolled today. Not sure how they respond because this was a real **** kicking.

^ Its a strange series. I had a chuckle at the top hockey commentators that figured the Pens were in trouble. Not sure how they figured that. The Pens win every game they have to it and haven't lost money games in the last couple of years.

The pressure will be on the Preds in game 6 and I think we'll see a different Pens club then we saw in the 2 games there.

I think an experienced Pens club won't be interested in this going to a game 7. Mind you they have the ability for this series to already be over, even without Letang.

Preds were just steamrolled today. Not sure how they respond because this was a real **** kicking.
    The Pens know not to get too down or too cocky. They know how to stay focussed until it gets done. They found that extra gear, and Nashville couldn't match.

I thought the Preds seemed a tad overconfident. They had their reasons to be optimistic, but the time to feel good about yourself is when the job gets done. I love PK, but some of his antics can be a distraction, and it becomes about him.

So much depends on the goaltending.

The Pens know not to get too down or too cocky. They know how to stay focussed until it gets done. They found that extra gear, and Nashville couldn't match.

I thought the Preds seemed a tad overconfident. They had their reasons to be optimistic, but the time to feel good about yourself is when the job gets done. I love PK, but some of his antics can be a distraction, and it becomes about him.

So much depends on the goaltending.

tbh I Liked seeing the Preds get spanked. Guys like Neal are starting to get irritating again and him and fisher lining up for a big hit, and hitting each other prior to a goal was classic comedy. The Preds looked like keystone cops out there and offensively were hacking the puck to pieces and defensively leaving guys open all over. The Pens goals were pure beauties, skill plays at speed the Preds just can't keep up with. The Crosby play that didn't go was probably the best play of the night and he hit the post and he got 3 assists.

Crosby, Malkin, Kessel had 8pts in a game 5 tiebreaker. That's says it right there. Hockey royalty right now. They have a different gear, and level of skill they can go to in a crunch.

Another thing worth mentioning is these were filthy snipes. Letter perfect shots, one even on a backhand.

The Pens have played poorly in this series aside from this game, and are winning the series.

For things to be equal the Pens have to be bad and the Preds playing out of their minds.

Vernon Fiddler isn't even playing as per other posters comments about cheering for him earlier. Hard to cheer for a player that's scratched. I'll cheer for a great Pens club instead.

It's impossible to predict. I've consistently said there's no such thing as momentum from game to game, but I don't remember so many wild swings in a post season.

I guess PK isn't talking to the press right now. From what I've heard it sounds like someone is asking him to focus on the game.

As I mentioned earlier, it's unusual for Rinne to be so inconsistent. I think historically he's been streaky - very good for long stretches, and not so good for long stretches.

A lot depends on how he plays for the Preds. He's been great at home, lousy on the road, this series.

I don't know how the Pens keep doing it. That defence just isn't very good. Of course any team with Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel up front is going to be a tough out, but Mike Sullivan deserves a lot of credit too. The systems are so strong he's able to plug guys in and have it work.

That says a lot about their farm system.

The Preds need to get pucks in deep away from Murray, force the D to chase the puck, come in hard, get on the D, finish their check, and create some turnovers in the Pens zone.

Rinne will have to be good.

But the Preds will need to be nearly perfect in their own zone. Quick transitions with no turnovers. Too many great shooters for Pittsburgh. They can't give the big 3 any room at all. Easier said than done.

And they need to clog up the neutral zone and prevent the Pens from carrying the puck into the attacking zone with speed and control.

I don't know how you can expect them to do all that in all 3 zones, on every line. It's impossible. But a healthy Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel means you have to try.

So I think the best bet for the Preds would be to emulate the Sens boring defensive structure, try to be opportunistic, and hope the refs are letting stuff go.

Confusing? Well I'm confused
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-06-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Hope the refs are letting stuff go? I don't think you need to hope for that in the NHL playoffs.

It is impossible to predict. Although I can't see the Penguins losing two money games in a row with a cup on the line. Too much savvy for that. I suspect the Pens take it tonight as they always have on the road. They have always been a vet team that could focus on the road and separate from distraction on the road. Arguably some of the Pens best and most memorable games have occurred on the road.

As pundits have mentioned if the Preds go down a couple in this one they could lose their way. Easy for doubt, second guessing creep in and get away from the gameplan which occurred in Game 6. The Preds were chasing shadows all night and even in the first minute of play. They were so overwhelmed and never settled down. In probably what was their best bet to win the series. Its gotta be a bit disconcerting to know that even if the Preds somehow win tonight they probably aren't going to be able to take a game in Pittsburgh.

The harder thing for the Preds, and fans is this is likely the closest they get period.

Lastly, and this hasn't been mentioned, the Pens have now been the better team for 2 games in a row after being not themselves in the first few games. In game 4, in Nashville, the Pens did everything but beat the Preds on the scoreboard. The Pens confidence in what they were doing grew in that game and flowed over into game 5. The Pens are getting better, the Preds worse. That's a possible pattern.
    Last edited by Replacement; 11-06-2017 at 04:29 PM.

C2E SME

The refs joined the Penguins for the Stanley Cup photo shoot.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

The refs had way too much influence on the outcome of games in these playoffs. Why is the ref that cannot properly see the entire play making the call and blowing the play dead?

It is impossible to predict. Although I can't see the Penguins losing two money games in a row with a cup on the line. Too much savvy for that. I suspect the Pens take it tonight as they always have on the road. They have always been a vet team that could focus on the road and separate from distraction on the road. Arguably some of the Pens best and most memorable games have occurred on the road.

As pundits have mentioned if the Preds go down a couple in this one they could lose their way. Easy for doubt, second guessing creep in and get away from the gameplan which occurred in Game 6. The Preds were chasing shadows all night and even in the first minute of play. They were so overwhelmed and never settled down. In probably what was their best bet to win the series. Its gotta be a bit disconcerting to know that even if the Preds somehow win tonight they probably aren't going to be able to take a game in Pittsburgh.

The harder thing for the Preds, and fans is this is likely the closest they get period.

Lastly, and this hasn't been mentioned, the Pens have now been the better team for 2 games in a row after being not themselves in the first few games. In game 4, in Nashville, the Pens did everything but beat the Preds on the scoreboard. The Pens confidence in what they were doing grew in that game and flowed over into game 5. The Pens are getting better, the Preds worse. That's a possible pattern.
    Well that was one heck of a game that could have gone either way. Nashville hit at least 3 posts by my count. And, of course, the one that didn't count, that probably should have except for a very quick whistle.

I thought Pittsburgh were the 3rd best team in their division, which had the top 3 teams in the league. There's no question they had the hardest road to the Cup. I was surprised to see them take Columbus 4 games to 1. I thought Columbus was the best team I saw this year. Then there was Washington - Pens take it in 6.

Ironically, their toughest challenge, until the Preds, was Ottawa, maybe the weakest team in the playoffs.

Well that was one heck of a game that could have gone either way. Nashville hit at least 3 posts by my count. And, of course, the one that didn't count, that probably should have except for a very quick whistle.

I thought Pittsburgh were the 3rd best team in their division, which had the top 3 teams in the league. There's no question they had the hardest road to the Cup. I was surprised to see them take Columbus 4 games to 1. I thought Columbus was the best team I saw this year. Then there was Washington - Pens take it in 6.

Ironically, their toughest challenge, until the Preds, was Ottawa, maybe the weakest team in the playoffs.
    The Pens hit 2-3 posts as well. It was that type of game. Ellis also saved a sure goal and Pecca Rinne knew it. Rinne made 3 stops in the game he didn't even see including stoning Crosby.

Unmentioned is the Preds, who engage in more interference, more dirty play, and more hunting, got zero penalties tonight in a game in which the comparatively peaceful Penguins, one of the cleanest teams I've seen, got 4 penalties. Somebody explain that. or that the Preds have a 5 on 3 and are allowed to haul down one of the remaining Pens to create more scoring opportunity.

Goal called back. It happens. That isn't why the Preds lost, or the Pens won, and the Pens are deserving champs as you mention having to go through some real tough clubs to get here. This season the Caps and Jackets were arguably the two best regular season clubs in the league. Somehow, due to the NHL's whacked playoff format, the Pens had to face both of them in the first two series.

One thing I didn't like seeing is Preds fans booing the Stanley Cup Champions and throughout the awards and then throwing stuff at the Pens as they skated around the ice. Total bushleague actions. I know most Preds fans are new to hockey but that's not something hockey fans look favorably on. Respect the team that won the cup. Give a polite cheer, like the handshake respecting the winner is part of hockey.

I'll put this on the Preds players too. You know your market is just taking to hockey, unfamiliar with hockey culture, and they are throwing things on the ice after Pens take a 2-0 lead and don't stop booing the rest of the evening. Boo the SC champs off the ice. Boo the cup presentation, Boo the announcement of them as Cup champs, Boo Sidney Crosby the best player in the game and arguably the classiest competitor in all of pro sports.

You know what? While the public address announcer is deploring the crowd to stop throwing things on the ice (and even directly at the Pens) it takes only one Preds player to show some leadership, responsibility, modeling, and start giving the Pens SC Champs a slow clap. To set a different tone for people that quite clearly were not used to anything like this.

The Pens are deserving champs, the only team to repeat in the cap era, quite an enormous accomplishment and playing the entire post season without their top defender. This is the best hockey club since the 80's Oilers and they got booed off the ice holdng the cup. To me that's why the places like Tampa, Carolina, Nashville it kind of takes something away from the SC championship. Its like it should be taking place somewhere else. jmo

The game was great. The fans were great, but only to their homeside and they were classless in defeat.

I didn't think the Pred fans were booing the presentation, I thought they were booing Bettman just like everybody does. I thought they took losing in the final pretty well, a heck of a lot better than Canucks fans did that's for sure.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 12-06-2017 at 12:21 AM.

I didn't think the Pred fans were booing the presentation, I thought they were booing Bettman just like everybody does. I thought they took losing in the final pretty well, a heck of a lot better than Canucks fans did that's for sure.
    I agree. It was the traditional booing of the Bettman.

I've never seen as many fans standing for a hockey game. Many of them stood for the whole game. I think it's safe to call Nashville a hockey hotbed, for now at least.

For sure. I thought I heard an announcer say there was over 100,000 people in the streets. Could that be? A couple of trades over summer and they may be back next year. Oh, almost forgot, Oilers will be the western champs next year. lol
    Last edited by Drumbones; 12-06-2017 at 02:03 AM.

hfboards, reddit, everywhere is full of comments about how Preds fans booed the cup winner, booed the Conn Smyth winner and not a little bit. Full throated boos that were loud and disrespectful of the winner. As if that wasn't a display of poor class throwing things at the Pens players as they skated on the ice with the cup and after the 2-0 goal was unfortunate. That one fan decided to target Hornqvist specifically is the height of poor sport. That guy played his heart out for the Preds for years and with little offensive help.

The saddest thing to me is that these are fly by fans. Nashville has NEVER supported the team well and got on for this ride in bandwagon fashion. Theres a ton of markets with nonstop dedicated fans that probably deserve to see their club go on a ride. I'm glad the Preds lost. I'm glad the worst example of bandwagon fans lost. Not since Carolina could a less deserving fan base be fans of a cup winner. This veers close to Panthers, Lightning and Canes undeserved playoff run.

The preds fans will forget about this club as quick as they found it is my impression. My take, and that of many is people were going to the party, not due to a specific appreciation of the game of hockey. If they had the latter they would have some appreciation about what the Pens overcame to get here, and get this SC win. This is one of the bigger gutcheck SC wins I've seen in a couple decades. Pretty heroic bunch of Pens out there. They just don't say die. What they did again this spring is deserving of respect.

That's what I thought too, its a hockey tradition to boo Bettman - he probably been booed just as much in Pittsburgh if the last game had been there. Some fans have very thin skin.

The throwing things on the ice, at players was not isolated to this game. The preds headcoach even implored Preds fans to stop doing it earlier in the series. The public address system in Nashville was again imploring the fans to stop throwing things on the ice and at opponent players as had happened multiple times in this series and previous to this series.

The Preds fans act like hicks and are getting called out for it. All around by other fanbases.

Frankly I've never seen a SC champ team be thoroughly booed before and with that booing not stopping. The only cheering for the Pens occurred long after at which point all the sore loser Preds fans had left and only the Pens fans remained.

Most places, after the handshakes, and the teams displaying that good sportsmanship, usually the fans take a clue and realize that is the kind of respect displayed in hockey. You move on and respect your opponent, you pat them on the back, congratulate them, even though they beat you. This is the ethos of hockey sportsmanship learned in this sport from minor league hockey on. The Preds fans have no familiarity with that and it showed. But when you've got your teams head coach, top player, and manager and the public address announcer pleading with Preds fans to please refrain and treat the players with respect you think they would eventually take note.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    The refs joined the Penguins for the Stanley Cup photo shoot.

Good one Cat.

Top_Dawg is glad Pittsburgh won.

Back to back Stanley Cups.

Pretty amazing.

What a couple of years for Crosby.

Two Stanley Cups.

World Cup.

Two Conn Smythe.

World Cup MVP.

And Top_Dawg expects more next year.

He's not taking a back seat to McDavid anytime soon.

That blown whistle was ridiculous though. Will be one of the most controversial SCF in a long time, especially considering there was only on other non-empty net goal.

100% the fault of 1 ref, and nothing could really be done about it. Even if you were cheering for Pittsburgh it should still leave a bitter taste in your mouth that it was potentially decided by one terrible call.

Preds were robbed of their chance to win this game by a blind ref. If this had been the Oilers in Rogers the fans would have rioted I'm sure and Replacement is worried about boo birds. Must leave a terrible taste in the mouths of these amazingly supportive hockey fans of Nashville. Bettman, get your act together and start scouting for refs for this league.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 12-06-2017 at 11:58 AM.

Amazingly supportive hockey fans. lmao.

The Preds historically have struggled with attendance and have almost always been one of the worst attended teams in the league. This is the first season ever that they have sold out their games.

Robbed, lol

Were the Preds robbed when they **** the bed 6-0 (In a game that could have been 10-0) and that resulted in them being on verge of elimination?

A call on one goal was bad. In a game where the Preds were gifted ALL the PP's including a long 5on 3. The statistical conversion rate for long 5 on 3 exceeds 50%. The preds didn't finish on any of their chances, any of their PP's. Even if the goal stood I don't think the Preds end up winning that game.

The Pens are deserving champs.

No bitter taste either because Pens won the game. That's why they play 7 game series so that one goal or one play doesn't determine a result. The Pens are the better club and came through in the crunch, predictably. Score was 8-0 in the last 2 GP with the series on the line. When it got to 3 game series crunch time Preds couldn't get it done.

Amazingly supportive hockey fans. lmao.

The Preds historically have struggled with attendance and have almost always been one of the worst attended teams in the league. This is the first season ever that they have sold out their games.

Robbed, lol

Were the Preds robbed when they **** the bed 6-0 (In a game that could have been 10-0) and that resulted in them being on verge of elimination?

A call on one goal was bad. In a game where the Preds were gifted ALL the PP's including a long 5on 3. The statistical conversion rate for long 5 on 3 exceeds 50%. The preds didn't finish on any of their chances, any of their PP's. Even if the goal stood I don't think the Preds end up winning that game.

The Pens are deserving champs.

No bitter taste either because Pens won the game. That's why they play 7 game series so that one goal or one play doesn't determine a result. The Pens are the better club and came through in the crunch, predictably. Score was 8-0 in the last 2 GP with the series on the line. When it got to 3 game series crunch time Preds couldn't get it done.
    Well there weren't many Preds fans left at the end, and some were angry. They didn't riot in the streets, set fires, loot stores, or overturn cars.

And they didn't bully little kids for being fans and wearing the sweater of the opposing team. Where did we see that?

The ref lost sight of the puck, and he's supposed to blow the whistle. It was a pretty quick whistle, and I wish he'd waited a second longer, but I think the refs are trying to protect the goalies from all of the hacking and whacking that can go on when they do have the puck covered.

It was a blown call, for sure, but, as we've been through before, if one blown call is all it takes to lose a game, then you probably didn't deserve to win. Whining about the refs is something losers do.

The Preds had lots of time and chances to score, but couldn't do it, even with a 5 on 3. The 5 on 3 sealed their fate, and gave the Pens momentum.

Nashville made a great run, and when the sting wears off a little they and their fans should be proud of what they accomplished. They are going to be there in the thick of things next year.

There is no NHL conspiracy or "fix", and those suggesting there is should maybe try another sport.

The East was a lot stronger than the West this year, and especially the Metropolitan Division. I think any of the top 3 teams in that division would win the Cup.

The Pacific Division was the weakest, again, and I don't see that changing next year.

The season of terrible refereeing!!

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post
    The season of terrible refereeing!!
    I've never seen it as bad as it was this year. Ottawa got away with way too much against the Penguins, but they always seem to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast